• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I'm rather pessimistic and have accepted that Geno is likely not happening at this point, but despite that, I'll never give up either. I will always root for my boy and try to be a positive pillar for not only Geno's fans, but also for our position in the Smash fandom. I know it's a lofty goal for just one person to try to improve the Geno fan base as a whole, along with outside perception (which is understandably muddied due to some bad apples), but... gosh darn it, I'm gonna try! People are so free to dislike the character, but I hope we can find peace with other people instead of remaining as the fan base that is 'hated'. It sucks that me liking Geno has resulted in people automatically judging me without basing their conjecture on my own personal merits. A lot of Geno's fans get heckled nowadays, and I'd love to fight that hatred with positivity and acceptance.
Exactly. I used to speculate on YouTube but every time I said that I liked Geno (and said that I thought he was likely) I'd get into 24 hour arguments with trolls not even making actual points against Geno, just saying how stupid I was for liking him and just "give up he's done." And I think you're a lot better at wanting to end arguments with positivity than I am lol. That's why I get heated a lot when I speculate about character's chances and just prefer talking about fun things, like SMRPG's story or possibilities of things to include in an SMRPG remake, or SMRPG fanart, without discussing the chances of anything.

And, for everyone in the thread, can we all just stop speculating about Erdrick? We can save any updates and discussion we have about him for the Square thread. That's why it was created after all lol, to move discussion surrounding Square characters other than Geno to a different thread about any Square character. It's just been the source of the pessimism and heated arguments the thread has been having since the Erdrick fiasco began.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I'm rather pessimistic and have accepted that Geno is likely not happening at this point, but despite that, I'll never give up either. I will always root for my boy and try to be a positive pillar for not only Geno's fans, but also for our position in the Smash fandom. I know it's a lofty goal for just one person to try to improve the Geno fan base as a whole, along with outside perception (which is understandably muddied due to some bad apples), but... gosh darn it, I'm gonna try! People are so free to dislike the character, but I hope we can find peace with other people instead of remaining as the fan base that is 'hated'. It sucks that me liking Geno has resulted in people automatically judging me without basing their conjecture on my own personal merits. A lot of Geno's fans get heckled nowadays, and I'd love to fight that hatred with positivity and acceptance.
Tbh I don't think the reason "Geno" is hated has much to do with the fanbase having peace with others vs. not. From seeing what other people say it really seems like it comes down to people considering him not to be a relevant character and not deserving of getting into Smash over insert whatever character they wish was in. I think people get very bitter when they see him consistently getting voted high in polls over other characters that have had more appearances in the past 20 years. It's now become almost a meme/in-joke on the level of Ridley prior to SSBU to put down Geno as a character and rub it in other people's faces. I really think that has more to do with other people than it does us as fans of Geno. I definitely don't think we should go out of our way to attack or put down other fanbases, but at the same time I don't think we should be e-punching bags either. It's not like other fanbases pull their punches when it comes to their opinions of Geno. We can be assertive and stand up for our character without being toxic ****bags. I think the most important thing if we ever want to see Geno pop up as a playable character again is to keep the hype alive and keep making fanart and other content even if there are set backs along the way. That's most likely what worked with K. Rool and Ridley after years and years of denial rather than just being the whipping boy of the Smash speculation committee.

Last edited:

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
Tbh I don't think the reason "Geno" is hated has much to do with the fanbase having peace with others vs. not. From seeing what other people say it really seems like it comes down to people considering him not to be a relevant character and not deserving of getting into Smash over insert whatever character they wish was in. I think people get very bitter when they see him consistently getting voted high in polls over other characters that have had more appearances in the past 20 years. I definitely don't think we should go out of our way to attack or put down other fanbases, but at the same time I don't think we should be e-punching bags either. It's not like other fanbases pull their punches when it comes to their opinions of Geno. We can be assertive and stand up for our character without being toxic ****bags. I think the most important thing if we ever want to see Geno pop up as a playable character again is to keep the hype alive and keep making fanart and other content even if there are set backs along the way. That's most likely what worked with K. Rool and Ridley after years and years of denial rather than just being the whipping boy of the Smash speculation committee.
I couldn't have said it better myself.

The people who complain do it because they're jealous of Geno's popularity and they fear it'll strip their favorite character of an opportunity to make the roster. It's just petty overcompetitiveness. And completely baseless given we've seen that the roster choices are ultimately up to Sakurai anyway.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Tbh I don't think the reason "Geno" is hated has much to do with the fanbase having peace with others vs. not. From seeing what other people say it really seems like it comes down to people considering him not to be a relevant character and not deserving of getting into Smash over insert whatever character they wish was in. I think people get very bitter when they see him consistently getting voted high in polls over other characters that have had more appearances in the past 20 years. I definitely don't think we should go out of our way to attack or put down other fanbases, but at the same time I don't think we should be e-punching bags either. It's not like other fanbases pull their punches when it comes to their opinions of Geno. We can be assertive and stand up for our character without being toxic ****bags. I think the most important thing if we ever want to see Geno pop up as a playable character again is to keep the hype alive and keep making fanart and other content even if there are set backs along the way. That's most likely what worked with K. Rool and Ridley after years and years of denial rather than just being the whipping boy of the Smash speculation committee.
I'd say it's mixed. Yeah, there will be stubborn people who use the character and his popularity as a vehicle for unfair hatred towards his fans, but there are genuinely people who have had bad experiences with some Geno fans. There are some bad apples in the fan base, just as there are for any other. The most I can do to do my part is to continue making content and to be respectful to others, and I suggest that others do the same. If people keep retaliating even with some of us just liking our character and being respectful of other fan bases, just let them be. Don't be a punching bag by giving them that opportunity. If they're going to jump on you angrily without any provocation, then ignore them and keep supporting your boy. It's as simple as that. Reacting to that and lessening your support out of fear is what some of the trolls of Geno's hate base want, after all. (Of course, not all of the people who dislike Geno are trolls. His hate base has a good amount of them, though.) Don't feed into them and keep loving what you love.

We'll keep Geno's flame alive no matter what, regardless of what happens.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Thank you! :)

It's pretty much Sakurai saying he wants him in, the SMRPG references and nudges like the NoA tweet about a year ago, the HQ trivia quiz the night of the VGAs, the Yoshi's Craft reference, and the Megasmilax in the Piranha Plant Palutena's guidance, them having the rights to Geno (and Mallow) in the Ultimate base game and likely having rights to SMRPG content for the game overall, and SMRPG being added to the SNES Classic.

This is all in addition with just not giving up. Ridley fans didn't give up even after Sakurai said it was impossible to add him, and K Rool fans didn't give up when Nintendo neglected him, and both these characters' fans didn't give up after so many people told them they wouldn't happen. So I don't think there's anything pointing to Geno not being in the game, but, even if there was, I wouldn't just give up. Likely or unlikely is one thing, but giving up completely is another. For instance, I'm confident Geno will be in this pass, but if he isn't, I think he'll be unlikely for a wave 2 or future DLC. But I wouldn't say "he's dead there's no more hope." I would think he's unlikely, yes, but I wouldn't give up. 'Cause the moment you give up, the even lower chance the character has of appearing.

This is pretty much why I'm confident about Geno, even though many others aren't.
I'm in a similar mindset. I have a hard time believing Geno's chances for Ultimate are truly dead.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
I'm in a similar mindset. I have a hard time believing Geno's chances for Ultimate are truly dead.
Same here. Hope is basically the life fuel of the Geno movement and largely the reason why I'm a part of it. We are basically the Blue Lantern Corps of the Smash community and it ought to stay that way for hope's sake.

It honestly doesn't even fundamentally matter whether Geno actually gets in or not at this point; it's much more important to be able to stick to your guns and to never give up for the sake of it. That's what the movement represents to me and why I'm glad most of us haven't given up.

Until the final DLC is announced and the doors on the roster close for realsies, there's always a chance. And all we need is a chance.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
For a while I thought geno mostly had a bigger chance with future waves of dlc because nintendo did the picking, but with what they said about sakurai going to atlus from liking persona 5, i still think he has a chance for this wave, even if i dont consider it as high as some other SE characters.

Ideally, each fanbase would be able to feel secure enough to enjoy talking around without having people attack them, including the always taking a shot at a character's chances just to feel like the slot is free. If you believe in your character, then go for it and look for what's in favor of it and dont mind the others as much.
I dont visit too much other places, like gamefaqs or discord, so I cant speak too much about petty feuds besides what ive seen around smashboards, but to me it feels like people are bitter because others go after them, and then that bitterness leads to counterattacks which just causes more of it around. It's a much nicer time when everyone feels like they have a place no matter who they support.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
For a while I thought geno mostly had a bigger chance with future waves of dlc because nintendo did the picking, but with what they said about sakurai going to atlus from liking persona 5, i still think he has a chance for this wave, even if i dont consider it as high as other SE characters.

Ideally, each fanbase would be able to feel secure enough to enjoy talking around without having people attack them, including the always taking a shot at a character's chances just to feel like the slot is free. If you believe in your character, then go for it and look for what's in favor of it and dont mind the others as much.
I dont visit too much other places, like gamefaqs or discord, so I cant speak too much about petty feuds besides what ive seen around smashboards, but to me it feels like people are bitter because others go after them, and then that bitterness leads to counterattacks which just causes more of it around. It's a much nicer time when everyone feels like they have a place no matter who they support.
Yeah, and this goes both ways. I've seen people who support other SE reps going after Erdrick and his fans, for example. I'm not talking skepticism, but purely putting them down for wanting their character. Whether people go after Erdrick's fans, Sora's fans, Geno's fans, or freaking Bub and Bob's fans, for all I know, it's not right. It's aggravating. We hate having it done to us, yet those bad apples out there do it to others. No thanks. Skepticism is one thing; attacks are another.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Yeah, and this goes both ways. I've seen people who support other SE reps going after Erdrick and his fans, for example. I'm not talking skepticism, but purely putting them down for wanting their character. Whether people go after Erdrick's fans, Sora's fans, Geno's fans, or freaking Bub and Bob's fans, for all I know, it's not right. It's aggravating. We hate having it done to us, yet those bad apples out there do it to others. No thanks. Skepticism is one thing; attacks are another.
Anyone who attacks someone for wanting a character that isn't the one they want is a colossal loser.

Unless it's against Steve fans. :4pacman:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Anyone who attacks someone for wanting a character that isn't the one they want is a colossal loser.

Unless it's against Steve fans. :4pacman:
Hey, don't knock my main man Steve.

All he wants is to find his blue dog's clues. :\

D

Deleted member

The race against Boshi in SMRPG is hard as hell.

I've literally never gotten the rhythm. I just keep mashing buttons, that's the only way I've been able to win.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
The race against Boshi in SMRPG is hard as hell.

I've literally never gotten the rhythm. I just keep mashing buttons, that's the only way I've been able to win.
I must be the only one who always wins that race. It's trivially simple for me.

The way you do it is to press the A and B buttons in time with the drums in the background of the song. Play the drums in your head as you go along with it, and press the buttons in time with that. There'll be times when the drum cuts out -- you have to press the buttons when the drums would have played if they were not cut out during those pauses.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Oh you can bet that happens alot with erdrick. We get just about every petty judgment especially because he's not as popular in the west, and lots of other things for people to find gripes. And of course there's other characters like Steve for different reasons, and lesser known ones get picked on for being nobodies.

Like, I heard someone say sora fans were mean to others, but i havent seen that. There's probably some, and it sucks for the others because there's nice ones.
And sometimes it's even just people having a bad day (altho, not always cuz else you could say some are always having bad days)

D

Deleted member

The way you do it is to press the A and B buttons in time with the drums in the background of the song. Play the drums in your head as you go along with it, and press the buttons in time with that. There'll be times when the drum cuts out -- you have to press the buttons when the drums would have played if they were not cut out during those pauses.
I need to save this post somewhere.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
So I'm seriously considering livestreaming again for at least Monday for the anniversary.

The problem is I uninstalled all my recording stuff which means I lost all my setting and I'll have to re-teach myself OBS all over again.

If at least a few of you guys can show up it would be worth it. I might do it anyway, hell idk.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
The Link's Awakening remake for Switch and now the FF7 trailer has actually made me wonder: If Nintendo/SE/whoever were going to do a remake of SMRPG would you be okay with a different look/aesthetic like the Link's Awakening remake and/or a revamped combat system like the FF7 remake? Because I feel like a lot of the charm and nostalgia for SMRPG is on its story and the battle mechanics it introduced with timed hits, but at a certain point I do have a fondness for the overall looks of everything. That said I would be open to an aesthetic revamp as long as it wasn't to drastic and honestly would be okay with expanding the combat system as long as timed hits were still a mechanic.

Teeb147

Smash Legend

Yeh i remember having trouble with that when i was younger, and last time i played i got it easy, not sure what i was doing so wrong in the past :p

Ovaltine

Smash Master
So I'm seriously considering livestreaming again for at least Monday for the anniversary.

The problem is I uninstalled all my recording stuff which means I lost all my setting and I'll have to re-teach myself OBS all over again.

If at least a few of you guys can show up it would be worth it. I might do it anyway, hell idk.
I don't know how available I'll be on Monday, but if you did, I'd try to show up!!

Datboigeno

Smash Lord

Do you have a link to where you would stream?

D

Deleted member

The Link's Awakening remake for Switch and now the FF7 trailer has actually made me wonder: If Nintendo/SE/whoever were going to do a remake of SMRPG would you be okay with a different look/aesthetic like the Link's Awakening remake and/or a revamped combat system like the FF7 remake? Because I feel like a lot of the charm and nostalgia for SMRPG is on its story and the battle mechanics it introduced with timed hits, but at a certain point I do have a fondness for the overall looks of everything. That said I would be open to an aesthetic revamp as long as it wasn't to drastic and honestly would be okay with expanding the combat system as long as timed hits were still a mechanic.
I've been considering things like these. Though I feel like the art style for an SMRPG remake should be similar to that of the art style of the remakes of the M&L games, and the combat like the FF7 remake would be interesting. Though I still feel like it should remain with the times hits, but that's just me.

I think I can come. Where and when would it be?

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I've been considering things like these. Though I feel like the art style for an SMRPG remake should be similar to that of the art style of the remakes of the M&L games, and the combat like the FF7 remake would be interesting. Though I still feel like it should remain with the times hits, but that's just me.
The thing for me is that I feel like if SMRPG were to be brought back as a continuing series or even as a one-off remake that it should be as aesthetically disimilar to M&L as Paper Mario is. Like, I'd totally be open to it being in the M&L style and it'd be understandable but at the same time I think it'd be interesting to see a revamped version of the 3D yet stylized graphics of SMRPG. I wouldn't say it's claymation but it's definitely not 2D and almost in line with the visuals of the Link's Awakening remake.

f64.png

https___blogs-images.forbes.com_olliebarder_files_2019_02_zelda_links_awakening_switch-1200x675.jpg

D

Deleted member

The thing for me is that I feel like if SMRPG were to be brought back as a continuing series or even as a one-off remake that it should be as aesthetically disimilar to M&L as Paper Mario is. Like, I'd totally be open to it being in the M&L style and it'd be understandable but at the same time I think it'd be interesting to see a revamped version of the 3D yet stylized graphics of SMRPG. I wouldn't say it's claymation but it's definitely not 2D and almost in line with the visuals of the Link's Awakening remake.

View attachment 218772

View attachment 218773
That is a good point actually. It would be funny seeing them walk and run around (and fight) in these kinds of graphics.

And Mother trilogy remake in the style of Link's Awakening pls

Teeb147

Smash Legend

View attachment 218772

View attachment 218773
That seems like pretty much exactly the best thing for them to do ;)
We've already seen tons of 3d mario, give it some charm like it had. Pack a ton of easter eggs and stuff to explore like original and just that already i think gives it a leg over M&L.
Link's awakening is a nice comparison and if they can remake that, why not mario rpg.

I never expected so many remakes these days. I'm not banking on a sequel, but i'd consider it a pretty big thing if they at least remade it. It's really a sequel i want tho :O

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
That is a good point actually. It would be funny seeing them walk and run around (and fight) in these kinds of graphics.

And Mother trilogy remake in the style of Link's Awakening pls
Right? I think being animated in this style would be potentially cool/funny especially some of the ridiculous things that happen in SMRPG (Booster's wedding lol). Also I have also been thinking if they re-release Earthbound or even Earthbound 3 on Switch it'd look great with this aesthetic especially because Earthhbound had a lot of those clay looking models for characters and enemies anyway.

08ec6fd5c75869831d86d69a332c114c.png

Ovaltine

Smash Master
That seems like pretty much exactly the best thing for them to do ;)
We've already seen tons of 3d mario, give it some charm like it had. Pack a ton of easter eggs and stuff to explore like original and just that already i think gives it a leg over M&L.
Link's awakening is a nice comparison and if they can remake that, why not mario rpg.

I never expected so many remakes these days. I'm not banking on a sequel, but i'd consider it a pretty big thing if they at least remade it. It's really a sequel i want tho :O
Honestly, I think a remake with a lot of additions would be the best idea, especially if it includes a post-game thing of some kind. SSS's remake had a post-game story that featured a lot of Peasley involvement, so maybe something like that with Geno involvement that furthers his character and maybe gives him more leeway to use the doll (for possible future things, I say as I rub my grubby hands together like a moth) would be amazing. In fact, make him the protagonist and Mallow the deuteragonist of their own side story! That, or make Luigi the protagonist with Geno and Mallow at his side or something.

Last edited:

Mastadoom88

Smash Apprentice
Sephiroth would be so fun. If we were to get another FF7 character, I hope it's him. Think of all the great soundtracks he'd bring with him:
Those Chosen by the Planet (Remix), Jenova, Jenova Absolute, Birth of a God, One-Winged Angel (Original), One-Winged Angel (Advent Children), and maybe the One-Winged Angel soundtrack from the FF7 remake. Now, I wonder what his stage would be...

Same, man. Nothing could've made my day better except for a new FF7 remake trailer after almost 4 years. I'm so excited to see more news in June.
see, I love FFVII and Cloud is one of my favorites, but i just feel 2 reps from the same game would be a bit much, even though Sephiroth wouldnt bother me all that much.

My dream FF pick would be Terra from FFVI/III. She'd represent my favorite era in gaming as well as FF's Nintendo days, and have a drastically different moveset from Cloud.

D

Deleted member

Right? I think being animated in this style would be potentially cool/funny especially some of the ridiculous things that happen in SMRPG (Booster's wedding lol). Also I have also been thinking if they re-release Earthbound or even Earthbound 3 on Switch it'd look great with this aesthetic especially because Earthhbound had a lot of those clay looking models for characters and enemies anyway.

View attachment 218776
Yeeesssss I so agree with this. And I just thought of this but Mario telling his stories of what happened like with Bowser and Exor crashing into the castle would be gold.

And yeah, completely agree on Earthbound. It would look so gooood lol.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Honestly, I think a remake with a lot of additions would be the best idea, especially if it includes a post-game thing of some kind. SSS's remake had a post-game story that featured a lot of Peasley involvement, so maybe something like that with Geno involvement that furthers his character and maybe gives him more leeway to use the doll (for possible future things, I say as I rub my grubby hands together like a moth) would be amazing. In fact, make him the protagonist and Mallow the deuteragonist of their own side story! That, or make Luigi the protagonist with Geno and Mallow at his side or something.
O definitely add a lot more. It was already a short rpg. If they can make it be at least as long as a normal one I'd be good with that. (50 hours+)

see, I love FFVII and Cloud is one of my favorites, but i just feel 2 reps from the same game would be a bit much, even though Sephiroth wouldnt bother me all that much.

My dream FF pick would be Terra from FFVI/III. She'd represent my favorite era in gaming as well as FF's Nintendo days, and have a drastically different moveset from Cloud.
Terra is one of my top picks too :) The support thread hasn't been active in quite a while now, but there' other fans around.
Having her esper form somewhere could already be quite fun too.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Holy ****! OBS has really stepped up their game since I last used it. It had an auto-wizard to get the optimal settings for my ****ty-ass 12-year-old Windows 7 computer, AND it looks so much more sleek than it used to!

1557520718557.png

And that ain't even all...it has AUTOMATIC Twitch integration via your Twitch chat AND being able to setup your stream title and stuff without opening a browser! This is so good because I have barely 4GB ram and the less I have open the better! Keep in mind guys, this is a FREE product! This is nutty! God, I love using a PC.

1557520864784.png

Oh also, for those of you who care, the link to my Twitch is https://www.twitch.tv/forsakenm. I really don't like either major video social media platform, but I'd rather use Twitch over YouTube for whatever reason. I feel like how they support you even as a smaller streamer gives more opportunity than YT does for anything, but they both are really bogged down by violating or not sticking to their own TOS whenever it suits them and having political leanings that are clearly showing of bias and are over moderating what you can and can't say...but I digress.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Holy ****! OBS has really stepped up their game since I last used it. It had an auto-wizard to get the optimal settings for my ****ty-*** 12-year-old Windows 7 computer, AND it looks so much more sleek than it used to!

View attachment 218788

And that ain't even all...it has AUTOMATIC Twitch integration via your Twitch chat AND being able to setup your stream title and stuff without opening a browser! This is so good because I have barely 4GB ram and the less I have open the better! Keep in mind guys, this is a FREE product! This is nutty! God, I love using a PC.

View attachment 218789

Oh also, for those of you who care, the link to my Twitch is https://www.twitch.tv/forsakenm. I really don't like either major video social media platform, but I'd rather use Twitch over YouTube for whatever reason. I feel like how they support you even as a smaller streamer gives more opportunity than YT does for anything, but they both are really bogged down by violating or not sticking to their own TOS whenever it suits them and having political leanings that are clearly showing of bias and are over moderating what you can and can't say...but I digress.
Sorry, I'm too busy looking at the bunny with a heart on your desktop and smiling. I LOVE that artist!

D

Deleted member

Holy ****! OBS has really stepped up their game since I last used it. It had an auto-wizard to get the optimal settings for my ****ty-*** 12-year-old Windows 7 computer, AND it looks so much more sleek than it used to!

View attachment 218788

View attachment 218789

Y'know, I don't have a twitch account, but I think I'd make and delete one to watch and chat in the stream :)

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
If it's easier for you guys I can use YouTube, I'll just have to change some things.

Honestly it's whatever is easiest. Hell, I could do both at the same time if I can figure out how to do that again.

D

Deleted member

If it's easier for you guys I can use YouTube, I'll just have to change some things.

Honestly it's whatever is easiest. Hell, I could do both at the same time if I can figure out how to do that again.
Is it alright if you could do YouTube? If you don't want to though it's definitely alright.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Before the release of ultimate, there were a lot of people talking against verge's claim that Incineroar and Ken were going to be in the game, including myself. I thought exactly like you and some others here, that it's just talk and maybe he only got lucky to get simon, isabelle, ridley and all the others. But you know what happened, and lots of people were very disappointed, not just because of that but also the grinch stuff, which he was adamant that it was fake.

I changed my mind about verge since then, and even though I dont believe anything he says, i give it more weight, because even though he's an *******, he's earned some credit. He then lost a bit when he made assumptions about the feb direct, but it turned out it was based on bad info, not his main sources.

I have no problem with holding out and being skeptical, I'm always skeptical of anything, but I I don't recommend ignoring possibilities that have real chances. Just because they exist doesn't mean they'll happen or that there's no reason to be open to different, and there's always more to the truth of things anyway.

For some reason I feel Sora has a real chance too. We havent heard too much stuff about him tho. I do wonder if maybe getting involved with disney would be too much, too.
Because bringing Cloud back was a ***** apparently. SE wanted him to return as DLC apparently.
In theory it makes sense for it to satisfy both parties. Another reason for Nintendo to push the 'Everyone is Here!' mantra and a reason for Square to make an extra quick buck by offering/fulfilling the request of 2 characters. One in base and one as DLC.
There , that's my issue with how people think there would be a second rep.

While there has been rumors from leakers that Cloud was extremely hard to get back for base (it was the first ever time SE let another company use their IP for a base game that they didn't developped) , they still are rumors
Granted , knowing SE , this kind of mindset wouldn't surprise me at all.

However , Nintendo chosed the DLC , not Square Enix. Except if Nintendo and Sora Limited/Sakurai wrote a deal to get back Cloud in exchange of a DLC character... Sakurai , and Nintendo are in no way forced to ask Square Enix for a DLC character.
Especially since others companies are easier to work with ; Bandai Namco in particular come to mind. Or even new companies to Smash.
Or heck , stuff like Camelot , Pokemons Company , or first party stuff.

No matter how you slice it , a SE character for DLC is one of the hardest route to take for Nintendo. Impossible ? Nope , Cloud say hi. However , it's noticible that SE care more about direct profit than long term profit.

Instead of trying to get people interested in FF as a whole (adding a bunch of FF spirits/ATs/costumes) , they just gave Cloud and a few summons.
I know that the rights for some FF characters are tricky , but is it seriously that bad ?
Heck , couldn't they give Nintendo some Octopath Traveler and Bravely Default stuff in Smash? Not even a damn Agnès spirit ?

This show that SE want one thing from their character in Smash : direct profit and direct crosd-promotion.
Cloud was a compromise when you think about it. They initally proposed more recent FF characters , but Sakurai asked for Cloud.
It was likely their only possibility to get something in Smash and... Everyone love Cloud , and he's Mr.Final Fantasy guy , so it's still cross-promotion.
So they are also willing to do slight compromises... (Like they did with 2B in Soulcalibur(or Tekken?) , she was a mix of fan-demand , direct profit , and cross-promotion.)

But it's always for direct profit and cross-promotion.
And let's not talk about how convulted their music rights can get...

My problem with this argument is that you need to assume that the "Cloud was a pain in the ass to get back" rumor to be true. Wich honestly... Is pretty likely.
However , on top of that , you have to assume that they had to strike the deal "We have Cloud in base and you have a DLC spot" , while we don't even know when DLC choices started , and when they got Cloud back.

It's simply assuming too much for me to be a solid argument.

Because then , why should they pick a SE rep over anyone else ?

People will start saying "To push DQ".
This is Enix's franchise. Not Nintendo's franchise.
I'm sure they get a cut of the profit through Switch's releases/re-release in a way... But at the end of the day , SE will be victorious.
Their franchise will get popular , and... Nothing will stop them to be more multi platform again.

Furthermore , others third party franchise didn't get this treatment when it was easier , would please fans , and would actually benefit everyone ; no 2nd Sonic rep.
Be it Tails , Shadow , Knuckles , or Dr. Eggman.
Sonic has been a franchise that's been on Nintendo consoles since the GameCube , and the games that weren't on Nintendo consoles were stuff like 06 and Free Riders.
Sonic is iconic , and despise the poor quality of his games sometimes , they sell well because he's iconic and he has passionate fans.
He would be the less risky to promote his Switch releases through Smash , yet they didn't do it. Worse , Shadow and Knuckles are AT'd , and Tails and Eggman got spirit'd. (+ The costumes)

So doing something so complicated to just push DQ Switch releases ? Yes , there is also SE's relationship with Nintendo...
But seriously. Even without Smash they are doing great. (Octopath+all the FFs+all the DQs , it's huge !)

If they applied this logic "Better relationship , so better library for the Switch , more good games , more happy customers"... Why not focusing on Konami and Atlus ?
Konami still didn't released a MGS on Switch , and a Castlevania collection has only been announced recently. There is only Super Bomberman R ! While they have 3 characters in Smash and are clearly willing to do stuff with Nintendo !
And for Atlus... Where... Where the **** is Persona 5? Like seriously , where it is ? We got the Warriors Persona spin-off , the PS4 got a ehanced version of P5... But the Switch doesn't even have P5? Seriously?

I'll stop before getting too much out-topic.
I think I made my points clear.
I honestly don't believe anymore that a SE rep is likely.

-----

Here's my problem with leakers :

Vergeben was right for base game.
As LoZ18 was right for the E3 if 2018.

However , as of now , nobody has gotten anything correct on DLC. (Verge said he heard about Plant but didn't tell it because of potential backlash... Yeah , we believe you Vergeben, yeah...)

What Vergeben has said for base (Minecraft content + SE rep) could either be fake , scrapped , or for DLC.
But he can't prove anything without revealing his source , Wich he's not going to do.

Second , Tansut.
First he reveal Cloud ONE DAY before his reveal , in a more criptic and subtle way...

Then, in 2018 he's like "Oh yeah Erdrick's in guys , believe me , SE ****ed up , everything leaked". When he also was the one who didn't wanted to ruin the surprise with Cloud ? Yet he do it with Erdrick , A YEAR IN ADVANCE ?
And we all know how much SE hate leakers.

That's why they have Geno. They Geno flash every damn leaker they find.

And we just have to "believe it on that one !".
And with how janky Brave is...

I'll start believing people on DLC when they'll get something right on DLC.
Wich literally nobody has.

Because base game is easier to leak. Marketing material , so many companies to contact , big focus of the year ...

What is there with DLCs ?
Only the companies talking about one character, one stage , and a few music tracks in some private backrooms while they focus on new releases.

Except if you are a higher up , or a MONUMENTAL mistake happen , it's just plain ol' impossible to know anything about DLC.

While they where right in the past , they are talking about a different beast now.
It's like saying "He taught a dog how to be obedient , so he can do the same with a tiger."
Yeah , he has the skills to teach stuff to animals , but messing up a with a dog is less dangerous than messing up with a tiger.

If anyone here feel offended , just know that it is not my attention.
I try my best to express my opinion in a way that everyone would understand , since my English is a bit poor. (I'm french)
So when I insist on something LIKE THAT , it's no to say "Shut up ! You're wrong and I'm right!" , but more "This is a very important info for my argument".

Anyway , thank you both for responding to me.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Speaking of livestreaming, I still gotta finish up my last Eletale Monsters bonus episode(Quest 64 Japanese version).

That said, fanbases fight all the time, unfortunately. Best thing to do is to be the better person and not contribute to the toxic behavior. Incidentally, we do warn and infract for certain kinds of toxic behavior, if they break the Terms of Service/Rules. Obviously things aren't that clear cut at times(as some of this stuff is subjective. Sometimes jokes were misunderstood, and sometimes jokes are still too inappropriate for the forum, etc.)

That said, I've been always considering Geno with a decent chance to get in, but never a guarantee. The only character I thought was a lock at any point was Shadow, and I was wrong on that. I mean, Inklings aside anyway(the other actual Ultimate lock. A lot of characters were highly likely otherwise, and some "who knows" like Incineroar and the surprise character, Piranha Plant).

A rather funny thing from some time back is adding Dark Samus before Ridley would likely get complaints of "another Samus?!". And yet both got in, but revealing them in the order of Ridley and then Dark Samus probably avoided a lot of possible complaints. One is just a way bigger gun, but more importantly, way more wanted. It's unfortunate but people hate clones a lot. Literal or gameplay ones as is. I mean, I can understand wanting more uniqueness too, but the complaints can lead to rather nasty stuff sometimes. Not that I don't understand the concerns, but it's not like it's "wasting time" making them. At least, until Ultimate where everybody was planned from the very start(according to Sakurai, nobody was added once the project plan was put into place).

Teeb147

Smash Legend
There , that's my issue with how people think there would be a second rep.

While there has been rumors from leakers that Cloud was extremely hard to get back for base (it was the first ever time SE let another company use their IP for a base game that they didn't developped) , they still are rumors
Granted , knowing SE , this kind of mindset wouldn't surprise me at all.

However , Nintendo chosed the DLC , not Square Enix. Except if Nintendo and Sora Limited/Sakurai wrote a deal to get back Cloud in exchange of a DLC character... Sakurai , and Nintendo are in no way forced to ask Square Enix for a DLC character.
Especially since others companies are easier to work with ; Bandai Namco in particular come to mind. Or even new companies to Smash.
Or heck , stuff like Camelot , Pokemons Company , or first party stuff.

No matter how you slice it , a SE character for DLC is one of the hardest route to take for Nintendo. Impossible ? Nope , Cloud say hi. However , it's noticible that SE care more about direct profit than long term profit.

Instead of trying to get people interested in FF as a whole (adding a bunch of FF spirits/ATs/costumes) , they just gave Cloud and a few summons.
I know that the rights for some FF characters are tricky , but is it seriously that bad ?
Heck , couldn't they give Nintendo some Octopath Traveler and Bravely Default stuff in Smash? Not even a damn Agnès spirit ?

This show that SE want one thing from their character in Smash : direct profit and direct crosd-promotion.
Cloud was a compromise when you think about it. They initally proposed more recent FF characters , but Sakurai asked for Cloud.
It was likely their only possibility to get something in Smash and... Everyone love Cloud , and he's Mr.Final Fantasy guy , so it's still cross-promotion.
So they are also willing to do slight compromises... (Like they did with 2B in Soulcalibur(or Tekken?) , she was a mix of fan-demand , direct profit , and cross-promotion.)

But it's always for direct profit and cross-promotion.
And let's not talk about how convulted their music rights can get...

My problem with this argument is that you need to assume that the "Cloud was a pain in the *** to get back" rumor to be true. Wich honestly... Is pretty likely.
However , on top of that , you have to assume that they had to strike the deal "We have Cloud in base and you have a DLC spot" , while we don't even know when DLC choices started , and when they got Cloud back.

It's simply assuming too much for me to be a solid argument.

Because then , why should they pick a SE rep over anyone else ?

People will start saying "To push DQ".
This is Enix's franchise. Not Nintendo's franchise.
I'm sure they get a cut of the profit through Switch's releases/re-release in a way... But at the end of the day , SE will be victorious.
Their franchise will get popular , and... Nothing will stop them to be more multi platform again.

Furthermore , others third party franchise didn't get this treatment when it was easier , would please fans , and would actually benefit everyone ; no 2nd Sonic rep.
Be it Tails , Shadow , Knuckles , or Dr. Eggman.
Sonic has been a franchise that's been on Nintendo consoles since the GameCube , and the games that weren't on Nintendo consoles were stuff like 06 and Free Riders.
Sonic is iconic , and despise the poor quality of his games sometimes , they sell well because he's iconic and he has passionate fans.
He would be the less risky to promote his Switch releases through Smash , yet they didn't do it. Worse , Shadow and Knuckles are AT'd , and Tails and Eggman got spirit'd. (+ The costumes)

So doing something so complicated to just push DQ Switch releases ? Yes , there is also SE's relationship with Nintendo...
But seriously. Even without Smash they are doing great. (Octopath+all the FFs+all the DQs , it's huge !)

If they applied this logic "Better relationship , so better library for the Switch , more good games , more happy customers"... Why not focusing on Konami and Atlus ?
Konami still didn't released a MGS on Switch , and a Castlevania collection has only been announced recently. There is only Super Bomberman R ! While they have 3 characters in Smash and are clearly willing to do stuff with Nintendo !
And for Atlus... Where... Where the **** is Persona 5? Like seriously , where it is ? We got the Warriors Persona spin-off , the PS4 got a ehanced version of P5... But the Switch doesn't even have P5? Seriously?

I'll stop before getting too much out-topic.
I think I made my points clear.
I honestly don't believe anymore that a SE rep is likely.

-----

Here's my problem with leakers :

Vergeben was right for base game.
As LoZ18 was right for the E3 if 2018.

However , as of now , nobody has gotten anything correct on DLC. (Verge said he heard about Plant but didn't tell it because of potential backlash... Yeah , we believe you Vergeben, yeah...)

What Vergeben has said for base (Minecraft content + SE rep) could either be fake , scrapped , or for DLC.
But he can't prove anything without revealing his source , Wich he's not going to do.

Second , Tansut.
First he reveal Cloud ONE DAY before his reveal , in a more criptic and subtle way...

Then, in 2018 he's like "Oh yeah Erdrick's in guys , believe me , SE ****ed up , everything leaked". When he also was the one who didn't wanted to ruin the surprise with Cloud ? Yet he do it with Erdrick , A YEAR IN ADVANCE ?
And we all know how much SE hate leakers.

That's why they have Geno. They Geno flash every damn leaker they find.

And we just have to "believe it on that one !".
And with how janky Brave is...

I'll start believing people on DLC when they'll get something right on DLC.
Wich literally nobody has.

Because base game is easier to leak. Marketing material , so many companies to contact , big focus of the year ...

What is there with DLCs ?
Only the companies talking about one character, one stage , and a few music tracks in some private backrooms while they focus on new releases.

Except if you are a higher up , or a MONUMENTAL mistake happen , it's just plain ol' impossible to know anything about DLC.

While they where right in the past , they are talking about a different beast now.
It's like saying "He taught a dog how to be obedient , so he can do the same with a tiger."
Yeah , he has the skills to teach stuff to animals , but messing up a with a dog is less dangerous than messing up with a tiger.

If anyone here feel offended , just know that it is not my attention.
I try my best to express my opinion in a way that everyone would understand , since my English is a bit poor. (I'm french)
So when I insist on something LIKE THAT , it's no to say "Shut up ! You're wrong and I'm right!" , but more "This is a very important info for my argument".

Anyway , thank you both for responding to me.
When they deal with 3rd party companies, they dont need to mention the other characters getting into smash. Whether it's base or dlc, any 3rd party character involves more companies and so has more chance to be leaked. He heard of Simon a pretty good while in advance, and it's not even true that erdrick was leaked that far back.
And besides that, I mentioned this probably like 4-5 times already, but missing one out of one dlc character doesn't all of a sudden change anything, just like missing k.rool didn't do it to his claims of isabelle, ken and incineroar afterwards - didnt mean nothing. (at least in hindsight)

You can hope that he's wrong about it, there's nothing wrong with that. But it's still a possibility that exists.
In the end it's all speculation until we know for sure and we're going to find some things out in not too long anyway.

Last edited:

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace

I know, I'm just saying if we WERE to get another pick from FF7, I hope it's Sephiroth.

Now if we were getting another FF character, I hope it's the Black Mage, not Vivi from FF9. I think the design they should go with is the casual/original design from FF1, kinda like the same design as the Black Mage from Smash Flash. Sakurai even prefers original designs over new designs, even with PAC-MAN, so I'm sure Sakurai would go with their original design. I'm even fine with the Black Mage design from Mario Hoops 3-on-3 or Mario Sports Mix.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I know, I'm just saying if we WERE to get another pick from FF7, I hope it's Sephiroth.

Now if we were getting another FF character, I hope it's the Black Mage, not Vivi from FF9. I think the design they should go with is the casual/original design from FF1, kinda like the same design as the Black Mage from Smash Flash. Sakurai even prefers original designs over new designs, even with PAC-MAN, so I'm sure Sakurai would go with their original design. I'm even fine with the Black Mage design from Mario Hoops 3-on-3 or Mario Sports Mix.

Okay, come on, Black Mage's design in Sports Mix has GOT to be inspired by Geno. Look at the cape. That is Geno as heck right there.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Okay guys so I found a service that allows me to stream to both YT and Twitch simultaneously. Good news for those who didn't want to make a new account somewhere.

There doesn't seem to be a place in your profile to list your links though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom