• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Do you think there is going to be a non-headliner addition (akin to your examples) among the five? I'm a bit skeptical.
Maybe. Last time around we had Roy, Lucas, and Corrin who were paired with Ryu and Bayonetta respectively and this time we've had characters like Daisy, Chrom, and Isabelle who are certainly loved but no one would argue they could carry something as big as E3 by themselves. Even Sakurai said that Simon and K. Rool were both super highly requested which is why they were in the same Direct without one overshining the other.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Eh, I wouldn't expect it, honestly. We may have gotten a lot of dual reveals in past E3 showcases, but I don't know if I can see two reveals at once. Along with that, this is just Fatman's opinion, and with all due respect to the man, it should only be taken as that, even if there is good reasoning that I agree with behind it.

That being said, the other stuff is making me eye the bear and bird like you wouldn't believe. Don't make me get my hopes up, darn it!

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
If there is a second character, it will probably be someone who is a fan favorite or even wild card whose fan base probably wouldn't be bothered if they weren't "the Big Reveal."
CCA49F35-77A1-4028-81CD-B7ED8ED022C3.png

Mother gang represent.

Historically, new character reveals at E3 usually come in at least pairs with one that makes headlines and others that people could take or leave if they had the choice (Miis, Wii Fit, Palutena, Daisy, Roy, etc).
Other thing I noticed, there’s always at least one first party revealed as well. Hmm...

link2702

Smash Champion
Honestly the only character I could see being announced at e3 would be banjo and kazooie. They’d be a historic character along the likes of sonic’s reveal in brawl. As much as I would love geno to be the one announced there, I just don’t see him as being the earth shaking reveal that bk would be. A Microsoft owned character that formerly was a nintendo exclusive during the 90s, returning to a nintendo system for the first time in almost 2 decades, that is the type of announcement that would cause headlines everywhere, I don’t mean to sound harsh on my most wanted geno, buuut...he wouldn’t really bring that level of coverage.

Of course they could announce both, but I feel that’s a bit too much wishful thinking. I feel like e3 is gonna only have one reveal, that being the bear and bird.

That doesn’t mean at all that I feel genos chances are less at getting in, just that he isn’t e3 blow the crowd away announcement material.

Then again...it’s taken quite awhile to get joker out...and nintendo did say all characters would be in by 2020...so who knows, maybe get two reveals in and released closer together might be what they’d try to do to meet the deadline....

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Not to muck spray on everyone's soiree but if I had to guess on a hypothetical second E3 character, I'd theorize on the long rumored Tales character. Not that anything new has been said since *looks at watch* November but I feel like it fits the category I described and I could see Namco and Tales fans being okay with Lloyd/Yuri not being the star of the literal show.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Not to muck spray on everyone's soiree but if I had to guess on a hypothetical second E3 character, I'd theorize on the long rumored Tales character. Not that anything new has been said since *looks at watch* November but I feel like it fits the category I described and I could see Namco and Tales fans being okay with Lloyd/Yuri being the star of the literal show.
Did you mean to say that Namco wouldn't mind Tales playing second fiddle to the bigger announcement that you're alluding to?

I'm still not sold on two characters at E3 with how the Fighter's Pass is more intentionally set-up this time around though, and if you're hearing stuff about such a big bomb, I'm not sure it would really be as necessary to drop a second one anyway haha.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Question: Was it said anywhere that fighter pass characters MUST come with a spirit board? I feel like they were just a bonus since it wasn’t advertised.
It was on Sakurai's Twitter, and later posted in English through the Nintendo Versus Twitter account.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
Eh, I wouldn't expect it, honestly. We may have gotten a lot of dual reveals in past E3 showcases, but I don't know if I can see two reveals at once. Along with that, this is just Fatman's opinion, and with all due respect to the man, it should only be taken as that, even if there is good reasoning that I agree with behind it.

That being said, the other stuff is making me eye the bear and bird like you wouldn't believe. Don't make me get my hopes up, darn it!
All things considered, there is a strange air about this year's E3. It has some serious potential hidden underground, primed to be unleashed if Nintendo chooses to do so. The long-awaited and long-sought-after appearance of aforementioned Bear & Bird in Smash would probably be a magnitude 9.0 on the :ultrichter: scale.

Follow that up with a surprise second character announcement (in addition to a bunch of other crap we'll hear about at E3) and suddenly Nintendo owns the trending page on Twitter for about a week, maybe even a week and a half. People would easily accept a more obscure character in addition to a huge headliner like B-K.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Did you mean to say that Namco wouldn't mind Tales playing second fiddle to the bigger announcement that you're alluding to?

I'm still not sold on two characters at E3 with how the Fighter's Pass is more intentionally set-up this time around though, and if you're hearing stuff about such a big bomb, I'm not sure it would really be as necessary to drop a second one anyway haha.
Yeah, it was a typo but I corrected it. Unless something comes up, I'm going to say it's just going to be the big one because the rumors are that several other announcements would be tied to it outside of Smash (at least two at the moment, possibly three based on what some people are saying). Either way, people are implying that the Smash announcement would actually be one of the lesser ones at the show in comparison but we'll see how things play out.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
It was on Sakurai's Twitter, and later posted in English through the Nintendo Versus Twitter account.

I don’t see anywhere on there about it saying they’re coming with every Fighter pass character... Looks like it’s just talking about Joker’s.

Yeah, it was a typo but I corrected it. Unless something comes up, I'm going to say it's just going to be the big one because the rumors are that several other announcements would be tied to it outside of Smash (at least two at the moment, possibly three based on what some people are saying). Either way, people are implying that the Smash announcement would actually be one of the lesser ones at the show in comparison but we'll see how things play out.
Huh. Must be one hell of a game announcement if it could dwarf a Banjo Kazooie tier character for Smash...

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I don’t see anywhere on there about it saying they’re coming with every Fighter pass character... Looks like it’s just talking about Joker’s.
It's at the end of the Tweet.

"We plan to add more Spirits with each DLC fighter, so stay tuned! "

D

Deleted member

Doyle for Arsene would make sense considering how Japan views Lupin as a character and how his image is intertwined with Sherlock Holmes. Lupin is absurdly huge in Japan because of the Lupin III franchise (highly recommend the anime btw). This series had two crossovers with another very big anime series in Japan: Detective Conan (name derived from Arthur Conan Doyle himself). This crossover reiterates the crossover that already existed in literature with the original Arsene Lupin and Sherlock Holmes. To the Japanese, this makes sense, but it's definitely a name that is harder to connect if you don't know your history.
Oh crap, i have watched Detective Conan since 2014 and i knew about tht Lupin Crossover, how could i have not made this connection.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Also, based on everything I've heard, I think Brave (if it winds up being the "big" character reserved for E3) is going to blindside people in a number of ways. There's a rumblings that this E3 is going to be nuts and Nintendo's plans for "Brave", if the rumors and hints are true, will probably leave everyone cross-eyed and in a cold sweat from excitement. I'm skeptical because some of it rings as too good to be true but it's the kind of grandstanding that Nintendo's been doing a lot of as of late. That said, "Brave" would have a lot attached to it to the point of questionably being overkill if the rumors are true and the character announcement would actually get overshadowed by what was announced with it, even for Smash fans.
Y'all thinking it's a game that will overshadow the character reveal, I think it's something bigger. Something like Banjo-Kazooie on Switch is big, but not big enough to overshadow Banjo in Smash, methinks. No... You gotta think bigger.

I'm calling something gamechanging. Like, we get Banjo in Smash... And the announcement that Microsoft is releasing all their games on Switch.

Or... We get Sora in Smash... Along with the announcement that Disney is buying Nintendo.

It's gotta be something of that magnitude to justify such confidence that the character reveal itself will be overshadowed. ****, it could be a Sony character for all we know.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I like the idea of a cutscene where it converts to SNES graphics for your scenario and they get transported to a battlefield like the one you fight Bowyer on.
So pretty much a SNES version of Duck Hunt's Final Smash for SMRPG. That would be pretty cool, especially if it replicates the battle screen from the game, but how would you implement the other characters in a natural way? I guess you could SNESify all of them, but that would be a lot of work. Then again, a lot of work was put into Joker, including his Final Smash, so...

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I'd deal with Sora.

I would absolutely not deal with that last part. Heeeell nawh, son.
Eh, it's probably not that given Disney's recent statements that they're cool with just licensing games. *gasp* maybe they're giving Nintendo the Star Wars license! (Probably not that either)

I wouldn't be that adverse given the quality of Disney's products (especially of the licenses they've acquired) but I'd much rather Nintendo remain independent forever.

D

Deleted member

Ah, ambigous stuff that may lead to nowhere, my favorite.

But jokes aside, im intrigued at the implications of your statement. That is, if they hold any weight. I could have some ideas of what that could be, but trying to predict a surpsie beats the point, i guess.

Imagine Geno doing a Default Dance. God please no.
I'm taking Geno's Legacy XP model and making it default dance

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Eh, it's probably not that given Disney's recent statements that they're cool with just licensing games. *gasp* maybe they're giving Nintendo the Star Wars license! (Probably not that either)

I wouldn't be that adverse given the quality of Disney's products (especially of the licenses they've acquired) but I'd much rather Nintendo remain independent forever.
Yeah, having Nintendo make licensed game would be weird, though they would likely put a good amount of effort into it. Several franchises would pair well with Nintendo's gameplay sense.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord

Huh. Must be one hell of a game announcement if it could dwarf a Banjo Kazooie tier character for Smash...
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that what would hypothetically dwarf Banjo would be the Microsoft/Nintendo collaboration in and of itself as it'd be pretty massive and unprecedented as far as the games industry is concerned. Probably also the implementation of Xbox Live on the Switch would be very big.

SKX31

Smash Master
I'd deal with Sora.

I would absolutely not deal with that last part. Heeeell nawh, son.
"Don't worry, now Peach, Zelda and Lucina are official Disney Princesses(TM)! And wouldn't you know it, they'll also have official Palace Pets! Preorder an official Zelda Palace Pet (Actual Pet yet to be revealed) at Amazon! Ho-ho!" - Mickey Mouse

Didn't we have a Vader discussion in this very thread? Regardless, he's the kind of non-video game character that would make me buying the Fighter Pass 100 % worth it no matter what. I know, it's HERESY (even with less legal hoops to jump through than Goku or Bond), but damnit, if that winds up happening the Force Chokes are going to be a thing of beauty to see and pull off in Smash.

*Gets instantly piled on by people smashing me for my HERESY*

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that what would hypothetically dwarf Banjo would be the Microsoft/Nintendo collaboration in and of itself as it'd be pretty massive and unprecedented as far as the games industry is concerned. Probably also the implementation of Xbox Live on the Switch would be very big.
It probably would dwarf Banjo amongst the Average Joes / Janes by a massive margin. Banjo's not well known amongst them (I'd say almost obscure outside of video games), what might attract the Average Joes more is the prospect of playing Xbox games on the go. Likewise, your Average Joe / Jane won't know who Geno is. I don't think most are aware of Bowser Jr. Waluigi nor Daisy to a significant extent, only having seen them once each prior to Smash at best.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
NNID
Nin-Knight
Didn't we have a Vader discussion in this very thread? Regardless, he's the kind of non-video game character that would make me buying the Fighter Pass 100 % worth it no matter what. I know, it's HERESY (even with less legal hoops to jump through than Goku or Bond), but damnit, if that winds up happening the Force Chokes are going to be a thing of beauty to see and pull off in Smash.

*Gets instantly piled on by people smashing me for my HERESY*
I'd take Vader as a playable character over Goku any day. Fun fact, years ago I even made an entire Vader moveset during Brawl speculation, though it wasn't on Smashboards. (PS, I still very much enjoy Goku and am a Dragon Ball fan)

It probably would dwarf Banjo amongst the Average Joes / Janes by a massive margin. Banjo's not well known amongst them (I'd say almost obscure outside of video games), what might attract the Average Joes more is the prospect of playing Xbox games on the go. Likewise, your Average Joe / Jane won't know who Geno is. I don't think most are aware of Bowser Jr. Waluigi nor Daisy to a significant extent, only having seen them once each prior to Smash at best.
But... isn't Smash a game geared towards people... who play video games? I feel most people who play Smash probably have a minimum cursory knowledge of other gaming stuff, considering the nature of a crossover and all that jazz.

Last edited:

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
The only Xbox exclusive games I personally care about are the Rare ones, so I guess I’d be one of the few that wouldn’t be really into any of this Xbox stuff.

I’m just hoping we get actual game announcements/updates on previous games. If it’s mostly Xbox I’m not gonna be interested no offense to those of you here that do.

SKX31

Smash Master
I'd take Vader as a playable character over Goku any day. Fun fact, years ago I even made an entire Vader moveset during Brawl speculation, though it wasn't on Smashboards. (PS, I still very much enjoy Goku and am a Dragon Ball fan)

But... isn't Smash a game geared towards people... who play video games? I feel most people who play Smash probably have a minimum cursory knowledge of other gaming stuff, considering the nature of a crossover and all that jazz.
It is geared towards people who play video games, I'm just saying that Banjo might not be the primary character to get your Average Joe / Jane to buy Smash DLC or the whole Fighter Pass. That could theoretically be filled by characters who are more famous (Crash, Rayman, Ezio, Lara Croft, Gordon Freeman etc.) and thus more name power to draw Average Joes in. Getting them introduced to characters like Banjo and Geno because they share the same spotlight as someone like Mario, Link and Pikachu. It's worked for Ness, Marth and Bayonetta (Lady Gaga loves Bayo. No joke.) already.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
It is geared towards people who play video games, I'm just saying that Banjo might not be the primary character to get your Average Joe / Jane to buy Smash DLC or the whole Fighter Pass. That could theoretically be filled by characters who are more famous (Crash, Rayman, Ezio, Lara Croft, Gordon Freeman etc.) and thus more name power to draw Average Joes in. Getting them introduced to characters like Banjo and Geno because they share the same spotlight as someone like Mario, Link and Pikachu. It's worked for Ness, Marth and Bayonetta (Lady Gaga loves Bayo. No joke.) already.
That's true, innit? Honestly, I could only see Banjo being an E3 reveal, too, so...

Gulp. I hope my last standing most wanted doesn't go down in flames, too.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Whoa, it appears I missed a bit. If the rumors of a second character are true, I hope that if we don't get Geno at E3, at bare minimum we get Banjo and maybe Lloyd for his fans. Unlike Erdrick, I know there have been fans that wanted him for years and is deserving of a chance.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Whoa, it appears I missed a bit. If the rumors of a second character are true, I hope that if we don't get Geno at E3, at bare minimum we get Banjo and maybe Lloyd for his fans. Unlike Erdrick, I know there have been fans that wanted him for years and is deserving of a chance.
Hey now, let's not throw Erdrick and his fans under the bus. As I've explained multiple times in the past, just because they didn't loudly rally for him doesn't mean that there aren't genuine fans of his out there. There are quite a few, and they've come out of the woodwork because they've realized that their pipe dream might actually happen. They're just as valid as we are, as well as any other fan base, and I'm sure many of them wanted him or some DQ rep for years, too. Also, DQ is such a big and legacy-riddled series that I cannot say it is undeserving of a rep. Like, c'mon now.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Eh, videogame audiences are very fragmented. I doubt many console gamers recognize Gordon Freeman over Banjo (even with Half-Life being released in consoles), and Nintendo gamers might not know Ezio, for example.

Still, Banjo-Kazooie is one of those games that people into gaming just know because of its legendary status. Kind of like Chrono Trigger or Deus Ex, even if someone never played it they know who Banjo is. Maybe not more than Crash or Lara Croft, but definitely more than the others (or Joker, for that matter).

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
NNID
Nin-Knight
Except that Banjo-Kazooie isn't even remotely obscure. Back in the N64 hay-day, Banko-Kazooie was a household name. They're way more well known than Geno, Ness, Marth, and Bayonetta. The one thing those four characters have in common? They are only known by the gaming community, and—excluding Geno—the vast majority of casual gamers only know them because of Smash.

I don't necessarily want to throw sales numbers into this, but Banjo-Kazooie (the first N64 title alone, in physical copies) outsold all of Bayonetta's endeavors thus far, plus any Fire Emblem game with Marth in it, and every Earthbound installment. It's not Banjo who gets the honor of joining other Smash characters, he's a gaming legend; whom Sakurai even considered at one point during Melee's development. (BTW, Banjo-Kazooie is number 10 on the top ten list of best-selling N64 games of all time, selling over 3.6 mil units)

He's WAY above Geno in recognition, heck he's above Joker. He's not been so far gone from the video game limelight that, all of a sudden, people just forgot who he was. He'd be in the tier where Mario, Pikachu, Sonic, Pac-Man, Mega Man, Snake, Cloud, and Simon all sit: Gaming Legends.

Eh, videogame audiences are very fragmented. I doubt many console gamers recognize Gordon Freeman over Banjo (even with Half-Life being released in consoles), and Nintendo gamers might not know Ezio, for example.

Still, Banjo-Kazooie is one of those games that people into gaming just know because of its legendary status. Kind of like Chrono Trigger or Deus Ex, even if someone never played it they know who Banjo is. Maybe not more than Crash or Lara Croft, but definitely more than the others (or Joker, for that matter).
Beat me to it. Took too long to write my post, I suppose.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
He's WAY above Geno in recognition, heck he's above Joker. He's not been so far gone from the video game limelight that, all of a sudden, people just forgot who he was. He'd be in the tier where Mario, Pikachu, Sonic, Pac-Man, Mega Man, Snake, Cloud, and Simon all sit: Gaming Legends.
I agree that he is notable, but I think most of the character you mention beat him out in notoriety, especially Mario, Pikachu, Sonic and Pac-Man. He is above Geno though.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
NNID
Nin-Knight
I agree that he is notable, but I think most of the character you mention beat him out in notoriety, especially Mario, Pikachu, Sonic and Pac-Man. He is above Geno though.
This is correct, but the idea is that he's not some C-list character. He's definitely lower A-list. Heck, Sonic even acknowledged him:

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master

Except that Banjo-Kazooie isn't even remotely obscure. Back in the N64 hay-day, Banko-Kazooie was a household name. They're way more well known than Geno, Ness, Marth, and Bayonetta. The one thing those four characters have in common? They are only known by the gaming community, and—excluding Geno—the vast majority of casual gamers only know them because of Smash.

I don't necessarily want to throw sales numbers into this, but Banjo-Kazooie (the first N64 title alone, in physical copies) outsold all of Bayonetta's endeavors thus far, plus any Fire Emblem game with Marth in it, and every Earthbound installment. It's not Banjo who gets the honor of joining other Smash characters, he's a gaming legend; whom Sakurai even considered at one point during Melee's development. (BTW, Banjo-Kazooie is number 10 on the top ten list of best-selling N64 games of all time, selling over 3.6 mil units)

Beat me to it. Took too long to write my post, I suppose.
It's true that they are fragmented. The thing that makes me doubt Banjo's mainstream popularity right now is their (undeserved) fall from grace post-buyout, and them getting buried post Nuts and Bolts (with the exception of All-Stars Racing). And the fact that they're overshadowed by other platforming greats. It's closing in on 20 years since they've last seen a big game, and soon the oldest people that are younger than Banjo-Tooie will celebrate their 18th birthday. Thus, they had to go get old N64s and the game in order to experience it and Kazooie legally when they were kids (before the Xbox Live ports and Rare Replay). While the market retention from Kazooie to Tooie isn't great (from 3.6 to 1.5 million) I'd blame that on Tooie being released just as Gamecube, Xbox and PS2 were about to hit the store shelves.

Had they gotten additional games, or had Nuts and Bolts been a success, I'd agree and place them solidly in the A tier. I'm just really unsure about their placing in the wider gaming spectrum, nevermind among Average Joes.

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
So pretty much a SNES version of Duck Hunt's Final Smash for SMRPG. That would be pretty cool, especially if it replicates the battle screen from the game, but how would you implement the other characters in a natural way? I guess you could SNESify all of them, but that would be a lot of work. Then again, a lot of work was put into Joker, including his Final Smash, so...
I think joker was probably easier.

Think about it, to snesify everyone in a way that looks like smrpg, they’d have to create a new model for everyone, making sure it’s simple enough to compress in a way that would look like smrpgs graphics, annnd they’d have to make sure the models are strictly viewed from an isometric point of view.

That’s an insane amount of work just for a character fs. I could see them doing something like that for a reveal trailer, mostly because they could limit it to mario, peach, yoshi and bowser, which they have models already for.

Honestly it was far easier for them to do what they did with joker, than this idea for geno’s fs.

D

Deleted member

When they put an inanimate object in Smash, people will call it a he. Guaranteed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom