• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Is anyone else here getting LittleBigPlanet flashbacks from the map maker?
Absolutely, multiple layers and weird scary contraptions moving all over the place. It's good to see it again. Also, Sackboy as a Sony rep would make me so incredibly happy even if he's probably not even in the top ten considerations of such a character (Though we did already manage to take three of Sony's lol).

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Absolutely, multiple layers and weird scary contraptions moving all over the place. It's good to see it again. Also, Sackboy as a Sony rep would make me so incredibly happy even if he's probably not even in the top ten considerations of such a character (Though we did already manage to take three of Sony's lol).
Sackboy would be cool, but LittleBigPlanet has pretty much disappeared from the eyes of Sony. I also imagine that if they wanted to go for a character like Sackboy, they would go for Maxwell instead.

helloiamhere

Smash Journeyman
Assuming Nintendo held the rights for Geno/Mallow since the beginning. What would they be doing in Mario games today? Besides things like racing/parties/sports etc.

In this alternate universe I could see Nintendo giving Geno Rosalina's role in Super Mario Galaxy games and tweaking the story a little bit. I have no clue what they would do with Mallow.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Assuming Nintendo held the rights for Geno/Mallow since the beginning. What would they be doing in Mario games today? Besides things like racing/parties/sports etc.

In this alternate universe I could see Nintendo giving Geno Rosalina's role in Super Mario Galaxy games and tweaking the story a little bit. I have no clue what they would do with Mallow.
Honestly, I could see Geno as more of a figure replacing Polari's role. His higher authority is still with Star Haven (the star spirits), but he's close to Rosalina, as well, something of a son to her. He could be an adviser of sorts and a helpful guide with multiple different roles. Mallow would have been great for Odyssey in Cloud Kingdom. Heck, the place is even called the freaking Nimbus Arena. That's got to be at least somewhat connected to Nimbus Land.

D

Deleted member

If Nintendo held the rights to Mallow and Geno, they would be in Mario Kart Double Dash, Super Mario Galaxy, pretty much all the Mario spinoffs, and maybe even the Geno doll as a possessable object in Mario Odyssey.

So hopefully Nintendo buys them.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
If Nintendo held the rights to Mallow and Geno, they would be in Mario Kart Double Dash, Super Mario Galaxy, pretty much all the Mario spinoffs, and maybe even the Geno doll as a possessable object in Mario Odyssey.

So hopefully Nintendo buys them.
I don't see Nintendo outright buying them at all. It'd probably be too pricy, and they might not see it as being worthwhile for the potential gain. That said, I could see them renegotiating contracts with Square for better ease of usage for them.

mbvswb

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4561 1118 2914

Unfortunately.... nothing, we havent heard from any other mario rpg character outside of their series'.

D

Deleted member

I don't see Nintendo outright buying them at all. It'd probably be too pricy, and they might not see it as being worthwhile for the potential gain. That said, I could see them renegotiating contracts with Square for better ease of usage for them.
Well, yes, it may not be the most likely outcome, but I think it's at least possible. After all, they have shown interest in them, so I could see Nintendo buying them if they use them in more games.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Sackboy would be cool, but LittleBigPlanet has pretty much disappeared from the eyes of Sony. I also imagine that if they wanted to go for a character like Sackboy, they would go for Maxwell instead.
Oh yeah, Sackboy and Little Big Planet are pretty well dead at this point (Though, that's mostly because Media Molecule has spent YEARS building Dreams for the PS4 and Sony outsourced LBP3). Though, he's one of the few Playstation "icons" to have survived into this generation. Sony has had so much more turnover with their mascots since the PS1 era. Of the characters you would consider icons or that were in Playstation All-Stars, only Sackboy, Ratchet and Clank, Nathan Drake, and Kratos have made it on PS4 (And Infamous through Second Son, though not specifically Cole Mcgrath). So I just genuinely don't know who you'd even pick if you were to take a current Sony mascot...

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Given the Mario series' hatred for continuity, probably nothing. Maybe cameos/references in Odyssey, but not much else.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!

As sad as it is to say, I don't think Geno and Mallow would be doing that much if Nintendo held onto their rights. Nintendo is constantly introducing new characters into the Mario universe who have one major role, and then play out the rest of their lives through cameos. I don't see why Geno and Mallow would be any different. Besides the main Mario cast, I cant think of any character from Mario RPG genre who has had a recurring, major role outside of Fawful and Starlow. I'd imagine Geno and Mallow would be represented similarly to how Bean the Dynamite, Fang the Sniper, and Bark the Polar Bear are represented in the Sonic universe:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Greetings, Geno gang! How are y'all enjoying the update? I know I've been having a lot of fun with the new Stage Builder, including, you guessed it, a SMRPG stage! (Because if Nintendo's not gonna rep the game beyond a few recycled renders, then **** it, I'll do it myself.) I figured there would already be a ton and a half of Forest Maze stages as time went on, so I instead decided to recreate my preferred choice of an SMRPG stage, Bowser's Keep! Featuring realistic sword-dropping action! It's a bit buggy in terms of collision, but hey, it's a custom stage, what're you gonna do? I spent a lot of time trying to make this work, so I hope you guys like it!

Pardon the crusty image and the ****tily drawn Bowser head down there. You won't see that when you're actually playing on it, don't worry.

D

Deleted member

If Nintendo held Geno and Mallow's rights, the only other place I could see them is Mario and Luigi Dream Team. Same with a few cameos and maybe a Geno costume in Odyssey.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
As sad as it is to say, I don't think Geno and Mallow would be doing that much if Nintendo held onto their rights. Nintendo is constantly introducing new characters into the Mario universe who have one major role, and then play out the rest of their lives through cameos. I don't see why Geno and Mallow would be any different. Besides the main Mario cast, I cant think of any character from Mario RPG genre who has had a recurring, major role outside of Fawful and Starlow. I'd imagine Geno and Mallow would be represented similarly to how Bean the Dynamite, Fang the Sniper, and Bark the Polar Bear are represented in the Sonic universe:

I get your point but uuuh... Sonic Mania Plus.
Ray and Mighty are playable , and Bark/Bean/Fang are part of the magician hard boiled heavy boss fight.

-------

What's my opinion on the matter ?

I think some of you are under-estimating Nintendo. Granted , they rarely re-use characters (And it's a shame) , but with Geno's popularity , I could at least see him get a better treatment. (Playable in some spin-off at least)
Mallow...
Well honestly it depend on what their roles would have been in a potential SMRPG 2 at the time. They could have been recurring characters in my opinion.

Maybe I'm remembering wrong , but wasn't there an outcry for the koopalings to come back 10 or 15 years ago ? And look at them now , they got redesigns and are used pretty frequently. Maybe it became a case of over-saturation for some , but I love them. It would be perfect if Geno and Mallow got a similar treatment lol.

I can see Nintendo and Square using the SMRPG crew as a bridge between Nintendo and SE games.

As of now , most cross-overs using Mario and SE properties weren't phenomenal success (did good , but it wasn't for the cross-over aspect) , and it's been since like Fortune Street or Sports Mix that we haven't seen the DQ/FF cast with the Mario cast.

SE could completely use Mallow and Geno in Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest. I'm serious. They have their rights , and they are RPG characters , I could easily see them at least beeing summons in FF.

The most likely scenario for them are to be DLCs for Mario games and to appear in the Switch versions in future FF/DQ to encourage the Nintendo playerbase to buy those games.
But I can only see that happen with Geno in Smash and/or a massive outcry for them to come back to mainstream again.

SKX31

Smash Master
You can even expand that number once you take ATs, Spirits etc. into account. Getting into that means dilluting the argument some, yes, but it still is noteworthy:

* SOTN Alucard was considered for the playable Castlevania rep, but is an AT. Had he been playable we'd have a fourth Sony icon.

* MGS4 / Rising Raiden's a Legend class spirit (Mid tier among legends in terms of total power, high Attack stat, two Support slots). Mind you, he's a PlayStation AllStars veteran. He's thus the first (and only so far) PSASBR vet to get into Smash in some form.

* Out of the Megaman series, only Legends (Volnutt, an Ace class spirit) leans into the PlayStation camp. Still, if you're willing to bend the argument you could argue that Zero's AT incarnation counts as a PlayStation icon (debuting as fully playable in X4). His attacks are almost all from X4, with "Genmu Zero!" (Genmurei) lifted from X5. That's if you're really willing to bend the argument, since most other related stuff (Spirits, music tracks) are lifted from the SNES X games or GBA Zero seies. The "X vs. Zero" track from X5 did make it through though.

link2702

Smash Champion
Greetings, Geno gang! How are y'all enjoying the update? I know I've been having a lot of fun with the new Stage Builder, including, you guessed it, a SMRPG stage! (Because if Nintendo's not gonna rep the game beyond a few recycled renders, then **** it, I'll do it myself.) I figured there would already be a ton and a half of Forest Maze stages as time went on, so I instead decided to recreate my preferred choice of an SMRPG stage, Bowser's Keep! Featuring realistic sword-dropping action! It's a bit buggy in terms of collision, but hey, it's a custom stage, what're you gonna do? I spent a lot of time trying to make this work, so I hope you guys like it!

Pardon the crusty image and the ****tily drawn Bowser head down there. You won't see that when you're actually playing on it, don't worry.
...i now see the potential of the new stage builder...

Bombard it with smrpg themed stages folks, this could be the best tool to make nintendo notice. And give us some amazing stages as well..

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
...i now see the potential of the new stage builder...

Bombard it with smrpg themed stages folks, this could be the best tool to make nintendo notice. And give us some amazing stages as well..
The Geno token , the Mario Bros 3 Bowser remix , the custom stages of stuff like Vista Hill , Weapons factory , Forest Maze... The potential Geno and Mallow mii costumes...
If they won't give us a playable Geno , we'll do our best with what we have !

Mastadoom88

Smash Apprentice
I'm terrible with the stage maker but I really would love Star Hill. That's also my stage pick for if he actually gets confirmed, along with Bowsers Keep

Geno Boost

Smash Master
If only there were legit Axem Ranger Mii skins. Now THAT'S what I call DLC.
i dont expect Axem Rangers mii costume because of their body isnt humanoid looking but if possible then probably a hat but i dont expect it to cover the entire face like the black knight helmet.

also here are the miis for the axem rangers that i made

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
You know, even though I'm very much not a fan of Sora, I'm honestly starting to wonder if he's been Brave all along.

Why? Well, I'm mainly looking at code names here. Jack for Joker is a little vague, but it still seems rather, "Aha!" when you make the connections. However, something else has come up in the 3.0.0 data mines to make this all the more fascinating:

Arsene has a code name in the files, as well: Doyle.

How the heck would anyone be able to associate Doyle with Arsene? That makes... so little sense. On top of that, we have the mess that is Jane, someone many people thought was obviously the new 'feMC' for P5R, when it turns out she wasn't. It makes me wonder if Brave would really be as obvious as being Erdrick... or someone completely different. If it's a Square rep, I'd wager Sora, but if it's not, then... I have no hecking clue. The situation with Jane and Arsene just made code name speculation much more interesting.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I'm terrible with the stage maker but I really would love Star Hill. That's also my stage pick for if he actually gets confirmed, along with Bowsers Keep
I wouldn't be discouraged so soon. The Stage Builder is actually really intuitive in this game, and you can make some cool stuff even without being an expert on everything. That's why I encourage everyone to make stages based on your favorite SMRPG locales - Star Hill, Booster Tower, Sunken Ship, any location could make a good stage if you put your mind to it.

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
You know, even though I'm very much not a fan of Sora, I'm honestly starting to wonder if he's been Brave all along.

Why? Well, I'm mainly looking at code names here. Jack for Joker is a little vague, but it still seems rather, "Aha!" when you make the connections. However, something else has come up in the 3.0.0 data mines to make this all the more fascinating:

How the heck would anyone be able to associate Doyle with Arsene? That makes... so little sense. On top of that, we have the mess that is Jane, someone many people thought was obviously the new 'feMC' for P5R, when it turns out she wasn't. It makes me wonder if Brave would really be as obvious as being Erdrick... or someone completely different. If it's a Square rep, I'd wager Sora, but if it's not, then... I have no hecking clue. The situation with Jane and Arsene just made code name speculation much more interesting.
Where can one see these data mines? Or are we still digging for gold?

However, Doyle is incredibly fitting to Arsene. Arthur Conan Doyle wrote Sherlock Holmes. That being said, What an elaborate codename.

If Brave is Erdrick, that would be too on the nose, but not unexpected. I agree with your "Ah-haa!" feeling, which you gotta kind of piece it together.

If anyone remembers the first time we saw Jack in the first data mine, a lot of people were saying Jack was Raiden from Metal Gear Solid (Jack being his name)

This just made things more interesting.

D

Deleted member

Man, awesome job on this. I almost mistook it for an official stage lol.

I may want to try my hand at a Nimbus Land stage now....

Teeb147

Smash Legend

That looks better than I would've expected. I'm gonna have to try it out and see how it look in game :)
Maybe the stage builder really will bring some fun stages.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Where can one see these data mines? Or are we still digging for gold?

However, Doyle is incredibly fitting to Arsene. Arthur Conan Doyle wrote Sherlock Holmes. That being said, What an elaborate codename.

If Brave is Erdrick, that would be too on the nose, but not unexpected. I agree with your "Ah-haa!" feeling, which you gotta kind of piece it together.

If anyone remembers the first time we saw Jack in the first data mine, a lot of people were saying Jack was Raiden from Metal Gear Solid (Jack being his name)

This just made things more interesting.
Here is a snippet of the files you can locate when viewing Arsene's model. As you can see on the left, his code name is Doyle.

That said, wow, yeah, that is definitely something stretchy. Anyone thinking of this connection would surely be thought of as making a reach, if they'd speculated this and we HADN'T known about Joker. Things got a lot more interesting, indeed.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hmmm...in an SMRPG remake...

THEY SHOULD INCREASE THE BROKENNESS OF THE LAZY SHELLS

Looma

Smash Journeyman
Here is a snippet of the files you can locate when viewing Arsene's model. As you can see on the left, his code name is Doyle.

That said, wow, yeah, that is definitely something stretchy. Anyone thinking of this connection would surely be thought of as making a reach, if they'd speculated this and we HADN'T known about Joker. Things got a lot more interesting, indeed.
I know you brought it up way long ago as nothing more than a wistful jape, but...

The Sherlock Holmes thing makes me REALLY wonder if you might've actually been onto something with "Brave, Truthful, and Unselfish"

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I know you brought it up way long ago as nothing more than a wistful jape, but...

The Sherlock Holmes thing makes me REALLY wonder if you might've actually been onto something with "Brave, Truthful, and Unselfish"
I mean, it's just as much of a stretch, but I still wouldn't put any chips on it at all. Arsene could easily still be the exception and not the rule. I highly doubt Geno is Brave.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I highly doubt Geno is Brave.
>the starboi that possessed a puppet and took on an army of weaponized psychopaths with a plumber, princess, and manchild in a spiky shell
>doubting his Bravery

This is blasphemy

This is amazing! I'm downloading this ASAP

Last edited:

Looma

Smash Journeyman
I mean, it's just as much of a stretch, but I still wouldn't put any chips on it at all. Arsene could easily still be the exception and not the rule. I highly doubt Geno is Brave.
Well of course, I wouldn't be caught dead betting anything on something so esoteric. It'd make me a bad gambler. Just an interesting thought.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Yo that's a kick-ass map, kudos for that.

I think Doyle refers to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, the author of the Sherlock Holmes novels. Given Arsene Lupin is a famous literary thief, I think it fits.

Edit: ack, ninja'd

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
>the starboi that possessed a puppet and took on an army of weaponized psychopaths with a plumber, princess, and manchild in a spiky shell
>doubting his Bravery

This is blasphemy
Aw, you KNOW what I mean, you little freaking goober! :dr^_^:

On a serious note, Geno has freaking bravery of steel. Bowyer very well could have killed him, but he just busted the heck in there and chased after him all on his own. He probably would have gone all the way to Smithy on his own, if he could. That takes some serious hutzpah.

D

Deleted member

I would expect sakurai to have researched arsene's lore in order to make the character. It's a nice codename they probably happened to know, but it really doesn't change much at all. :/
I don’t think it’s eddy that would most likely give away his/her name

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I would expect sakurai to have researched arsene's lore in order to make the character. It's a nice codename they probably happened to know, but it really doesn't change much at all. :/
But Doyle didn't even make Arsène(That would be Maurice Leblanc), so it's not direct lore. It's a reference to thievery, but from a different avenue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom