• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
its been ages since the last time i came to this place i am really happy about how huge this thread has become hopefully it will reach 1000 pages soon this thread has already surpassed the brawl thread long time ago its seems.
hmm... anyway there is something i wanted to share and its where my Geno sprite sheet have ended up being used

and also this fan game

and i also restored this video that have been deleted for unknown reasons and it wasnt originally posted by me

also
GENO FOR SMASH ULTIMATE DLC PLEASE!
i havent typed this in ages lol :p

D

Deleted member

its been ages since the last time i came to this place i am really happy about how huge this thread has become hopefully it will reach 1000 pages soon this thread has already surpassed the brawl thread long time ago its seems.
hmm... anyway there is something i wanted to share and its where my Geno sprite sheet have ended up being used

and also this fan game

and i also restored this video that have been deleted for unknown reasons and it wasnt originally posted by me

also
Man, I love all these vids lmao.

And welcome back btw :)

Ovaltine

Smash Master

and also this fan game

also
As per usual, the fans end up doing way more than Nintendo and Square could ever think to consider. :')

Welcome back, by the by!

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
I’ve been gone for a while due to putting all of my focus into my college algebra classes and I have my last final math exam next week and then I’ll finally be finished with college algebra for good. :bluejump:

But I also had a thought, besides Geno (hoping with all my might that he makes it), I would love to see Sephiroth make it in somehow due to the whole Hero vs. Villain concept Ultimate has going for it and battles definitely would be intense if they had One Winged Angel playing in the background during matches. :grin:

45AC9C5A-AD3B-4C2C-AB7F-3EED08978090.gif

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
You know, when actually was that stated? Was it before or after Geno's Mii Costume?
Sakurai getting a vifam figure for a future project was announced way after the Geno Mii costume came out, like late 2016/early 2017. So pretty much about a year or so later, and don't forget that Sakurai started Ultimate's development in February 2016, 10+ months before the vifam figure.

Similar to an overworld like Final Fantasy?
As Sovereign Trinity Sovereign Trinity said, the vifam figure was after Geno's Mii Costume. It's one of the things that still gives me hope. Until we get a character who has something similar to it, i'll still holding out hope for our puppet boy.

MattX20

Smash Hero
So, did anyone else check out the music section to see if any new spots were added or not? Because I did, and apparently, it confirmed what I suspected: there are only 3 new franchises coming to Smash and the remaining two are from franchises already in Smash.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
So, did anyone else check out the music section to see if any new spots were added or not? Because I did, and apparently, it confirmed what I suspected: there are only 3 new franchises coming to Smash and the remaining two are from franchises already in Smash.
We sure about that? It's just slots on a menu. Just because those slots weren't increased with Joker doesn't mean that we won't get more.

Shado-will

Smash Journeyman
As Sovereign Trinity Sovereign Trinity said, the vifam figure was after Geno's Mii Costume. It's one of the things that still gives me hope. Until we get a character who has something similar to it, i'll still holding out hope for our puppet boy.
I think that the vifam figure is definitely one of the bigger reasons my hope for Geno getting in is still alive. It could just end up having nothing to do with Smash, but it at least gives many people a little bit of hope. I've heard some arguments that Sakurai and the team wouldn't have known the DLC way back in late 2016, but with the Joker reveal being surprisingly early, I think that they already had the DLC planned and were just focusing on the base game.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
if this end up beeing used as a reference for :ultinkling::ultinklingboy: , I'm gonna be a bit disapointed , not gonna lie...

SKX31

Smash Master
Edit: I'm also influenced by the fact that Ultimate feels like the complete antithesis to everything else going on in the industry. A lesser developer would have given us 20-30 characters and sold us seasons upon seasons of veteran content with a sprinkle of new ones and probably not have included anything beyond Classic and a handful of stages. Maybe that's also why I'm a little more willing to forgive not showing all the content up front. It's a frustrating reality where doing something decent can be applauded, but that's the **** one we live in with regards to major AAA gaming.
Isn't it also because video games as a medium were not only born in a capitalist environment - but also leans heavily towards it due to the costs involved in making games? Especially when games are primarily considered entertainment at that? The quarter-munching arcades and the "So difficult a 30 minute to 1 hour long game becomes a 30-40 hour experience" (the renting system made this rather lucrative) were very, very well established when the NES reached markets - and those games also leaned towards "get as much $$$ and loyalty from the customer as possible". And yeah, there is also classic companies who cared about the money primarily - LJN is a major example. Movie spun off into toy gun and NES game (Gotcha) - just like many, many properties in the 80s.

Hell, this 1982 New York Times article about a video game related Supreme Court case points to something very interesting:

The case, Mesquite v. Aladdin's Castle, No. 80-1577, stirred the interest both of the $9 billion electronic games industry and of the growing number of local governments that are trying to restrict young people's access to the arcades where the games are often played.

Associate Justices Byron R. White and Lewis F. Powell Jr. dissented, saying that the Court should have decided the issue at this point.

A second aspect of today's ruling produced a unanimous vote. The court of appeals had struck down a portion of the Mesquite ordinance requiring the chief of police to investigate possible ''connection with criminal elements'' before granting a license to run a video arcade. The Justices today said the appeals court was wrong in regarding that requirement, which has since been repealed, as unconstitutionally vague.
That's just before the video game crash in NA, sure, but the point still stands that it was big business already.

Sure, back in those days - especially early on - you could create entire games with just one-man teams*, but larger teams became neccessary for AAA games fast. It does lead me to the belief that if people back in the 80s-90s had our Internet etc. a lot of companies like LJN would without a doubt abuse the hell out of microtransactions and DLC just like EA and others now do. Hell, Nintendo already made (limited time) streamed games - BS Legend of Zelda. That thought leads me to one pretty weird thought:

SMRPG (and other SNES / Genesis titles) streamed or having DLC / microtransactions. We already have a related case where that went horribly - the iOS port of Mega Man X1 (where you could outright pay for all the game's upgrades).

Maybe I shouldn't have brought that up, now I'm gonna have nightmares.

(*Yeah, you can nowadays too, but that's restricted to indie titles like Celeste.)

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Their gun looks very different than the Vifam gun though.
yeah , but Sakurai may have used the Vifam Figure as a reference for poses only. The figure is holding the gun with it's two hands , just like the :ultinkling::ultinklingboy:.

But boy you don't imagine how much I want to be wrong about that.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I’m doubting two characters at E3. Even though Smash 4 expanded substantially between Mewtwo and E3, Ultimate has had big updates beyond Mewtwo in the past few months. A Video Editor, Multiplayer Spirit Board, Stage Builder, Joker, Mementos, Piranha Plant, and all of the additional Spirits. That’s actually quite a lot of post launch content in comparison to Smash 4 which was ONLY Mewtwo at this point in the game’s DLC cycle.

It’s also worth noting, the only completely NEW content we saw in Smash 4 was Ryu, Miiverse, and Sukazuki Castle at that point. The other two that launched with him were returning veterans. They may have had lots of work done to improve and update them, but they at least had a base that was well developed to work with. All the Smash Ultimate DLC Fighters are brand new and come with stages, so they’re probably going to take more time to develop overall.

I don’t expect two characters to drop day of E3, that just sounds like too much for a clearly more well planned out DLC cycle that Ultimate has. They could drop one the day of E3 and then announce/tease another that releases later in the year.

Though, unfortunately, we will likely be waiting until E3 to know about the next character. Oh well, Stage Builder and Joker will keep me plenty busy.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Wait are the Fighter Pass characters all planned to be revealed or released before February 2020? If it's the later, one being released at E3 time while another being announced is the only thing that would make sense in this context to me. The only excuse for waiting six months between reveal periods is if they have something else up there sleeves alongside the new Smash character.

Though Nintendo as a whole has been lacking in communication about a lot of their properties. Mario Maker 2 is planned to drop in the summer and has no updates since February. Game Freak still hasn't even shown off the box legendaries for Sword and Shield which sucks for me since I always pick my version based on box legend. (Though I am leaning more towards Shield but still.) Not a single word has been uttered about Luigi's Mansion 3 or Animal Crossing since September 2018, not even names, which is concerning to me.

That and all the careless early Joker leaks and possible Best Buy leak for Persona 5 and MPT just bug me. If Nintendo keeps holding info back, these secret games and updates they're desperate to keep obscured are gonna keep coming to light.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
So I bought Joker.

Not because I wanted to , rather , for what I like to do with Smash , I realized that I need ALL THE DLCs.

Why ? Simple. I like doing little montages. The in-game clip system is extremely useful to me since I don't have a capture card like an Elgato HD.
But here's the problem ; YOU CAN'T CLIP A REPLAY INCLUDING A DLC CHARACTER YOU DON'T OWN.

I'm not kidding , this happened for several people with :ultpiranha: , and this is going to be like that for every DLC character.
You know what's worse ? ... : Back in Sm4sh , YOU WERE ABLE TO POST YOUR REPLAYS ON YOUTUBE EVEN IF THEY INCLUDED DLC CONTENT YOU DIDN'T OWNED.

Don't try to defend this. Especially since the way the replay system and Smash updates work would allow this to work normally :

Your replay aren't videos , rather , the game memorize every input each player did , and make 2 CPUs do them with the same stage , rules and stuff. This is done like that because online matches can be very laggy sometimes. It also use less memory.
Back in Sm4sh , what you purchased wasn't the DLC character or stage , rather , it was a line of code that unlocked the DLC content.
This was done like that so you could watch the replays including DLC content you didn't owned , since it was added through the updates but locked.

From what Iv'e seen , it seem to work the exact same way for Ultimate. (Almost no download time for DLCs , but updates can be a bit long)

----

I also really hope that if Erdrick is DLC , and that Geno is a costume , there is the possibility to only buy the costume.
Joker will already do nothing but take the dust for me , and Erdrick will most likely be the same.

Seriously , It seem small , but that's still 30 dollars. I already paid for online (20 dollars a year) , the game (60 dollars) , so it would be 110 dollars total. (Not counting stuff like controllers)

I was neutral on Joker , but this really make me dislike him when it shouldn't.
Wow, that's stupid. I wonder why they even did that.
Wait are the Fighter Pass characters all planned to be revealed or released before February 2020? If it's the later, one being released at E3 time while another being announced is the only thing that would make sense in this context to me. The only excuse for waiting six months between reveal periods is if they have something else up there sleeves alongside the new Smash character.

Though Nintendo as a whole has been lacking in communication about a lot of their properties. Mario Maker 2 is planned to drop in the summer and has no updates since February. Game Freak still hasn't even shown off the box legendaries for Sword and Shield which sucks for me since I always pick my version based on box legend. (Though I am leaning more towards Shield but still.) Not a single word has been uttered about Luigi's Mansion 3 or Animal Crossing since September 2018, not even names, which is concerning to me.

That and all the careless early Joker leaks and possible Best Buy leak for Persona 5 and MPT just bug me. If Nintendo keeps holding info back, these secret games and updates they're desperate to keep obscured are gonna keep coming to light.
They're probably saving it all for a boffo E3, and that includes the next character reveal.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Wow, that's stupid. I wonder why they even did that.

They're probably saving it all for a boffo E3, and that includes the next character reveal.
Another dumb thing while I'm talking about that :
You can't use the stages you created in Stage builder , in arenas. After Squad Strike and Smashdown not beeing online , this ? COME ON , I PAID FOR THIS ONLINE !

Sorry for the rant , but this is just silly. You don't hype up a new mode like that just to restrict it to offline.

... By the way , why are the mii costumes not included the fighters pack ? Yeah , it was like that back in Sm4sh , but all the available mii costumes together cost around 5 dollars.

I know they didn't promised costumes to be included in the fighter pass , but seriously...
At least it mean that if Geno is a costume , I won't have to buy the Square rep if I don't like him/her.

I'll be more careful when purchasing Smash DLC now I guess...
edit : look like I was wrong about stage builders stage not beeing available in arenas.

Last edited:

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
Man, Joker may be fun and all, but is anyone else sinking their teeth into Cuphead on Switch? **** me is it a fantastic gorgeous game, growing up on Megaman, I’m a sucker for the “get good” types of game.

It would be cool if someone modded 1930s Geno sprites over Cuphead. If anyone with more talent than me wants to run with that idea, be my guest ;)

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Another dumb thing while I'm talking about that :
You can't use the stages you created in Stage builder , in arenas. After Squad Strike and Smashdown not beeing online , this ? COME ON , I PAID FOR THIS ONLINE !

Sorry for the rant , but this is just silly. You don't hype up a new mode like that just to restrict it to offline.

... By the way , why are the mii costumes not included the fighters pack ? Yeah , it was like that back in Sm4sh , but all the available mii costumes together cost around 5 dollars.

I know they didn't promised costumes to be included in the fighter pass , but seriously...
At least it mean that if Geno is a costume , I won't have to buy the Square rep if I don't like him/her.

I'll be more careful when purchasing Smash DLC now I guess...
Getting all six Mii Costumes out now costs around half as much as the pass.

6 cosmetic outfits 2 just being hats, cost a little more than half the amount of a Fighter, Stage, and 11 music tracks. I... Good lord...

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229

6 cosmetic outfits 2 just being hats, cost a little more than half the amount of a Fighter, Stage, and 11 music tracks. I... Good lord...
At least I got the Tails mii costume with gold points Poor Knux will have to wait

But yeah , this is just getting ridiculous. I hope that there is enough new interestings costumes at least.
And it's not like Nintendo don't know how to price DLCs respectfully , just look at the price of Mario Kart 8 DLC compared to their content.

But granted , this is Sora Limited and Bandai Namco , not directly Nintendo.

Firox

Smash Master

Like I told you guys before, don't underestimate the greed.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
yeah , but Sakurai may have used the Vifam Figure as a reference for poses only. The figure is holding the gun with it's two hands , just like the :ultinkling::ultinklingboy:.

But boy you don't imagine how much I want to be wrong about that.
Nah he specifically said he got it for the gun.

I definitely agree about that last point, and it’s another reason why they should’ve announced everything ahead of time. Nintendo internally may be a steel trap as far as leaks go but the more information spread between retailers and other sources the higher the risk something will leak before its expected to.

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
if this end up beeing used as a reference for :ultinkling::ultinklingboy: , I'm gonna be a bit disapointed , not gonna lie...
I think it was more or less Sakurai teasing his Spirit Board idea. He probably took the ViFam gun for reference but he ended up not using it. This is super common for development all the time. I hope I am wrong but it seems most likely at this point due to how long ago that purchase was made.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I think it was more or less Sakurai teasing his Spirit Board idea. He probably took the ViFam gun for reference but he ended up not using it. This is super common for development all the time. I hope I am wrong but it seems most likely at this point due to how long ago that purchase was made.
That seems more likely than inkling but it’s still kind of odd that nothing has matched up with it too well.

Firox

Smash Master
Hey has anyone else realized how amazing the new map maker is??!! My friend is working right now to recreate the forest scene from SMRPG! It'll be sick if he can pull it off!

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
Hey has anyone else realized how amazing the new map maker is??!! My friend is working right now to recreate the forest scene from SMRPG! It'll be sick if he can pull it off!
Hey, I just downloaded a Stage with a Geno's Pixelart on it.
Also an O2 and Ricardo Milos Stage..

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Doubt it. Why? Let me debunk this for you: Why would Sakurai need a reference of the vifam figure for the Inklings when they ALREADY have a gun? There's no need to redesign the Inkling's splattershot, especially since the they already have one and that's the one they've always used in their games; redesigning the splattershot would be taking away its reference from Splatoon. Inkling's splattershot doesn't even closely resemble the mech's gun.

Nartic

Smash Cadet
I imagined Geno's spirit board.

1. Croco (Yoshi)
2. Johnny (Greninja)
3. Belome (Kirby)
4. Bowyer (Lemmy)
5. Booster (Wario)
6. Valentina (Bayonetta)
7. Dodo (King Dedede)
8. Axem Ranger (Mii Swordfighter x 5)
9. Exor (?)
10. Smithy (?)

Ovaltine

Smash Master

1. Croco (Yoshi)
2. Johnny (Greninja)
3. Belome (Kirby)
4. Bowyer (Lemmy)
5. Booster (Wario)
6. Valentina (Bayonetta)
7. Dodo (King Dedede)
9. Exor (?)
10. Smithy (?)
Exor would definitely be some kind of sword user. I think Marth may be the quintessential swordie, but a goofier swords person might be a better fit. We have nobody like that, alas, so... I guess just Marth or Roy?

Smithy, though? Ridley. Mecha Ridley alt. Boom.

link2702

Smash Champion
Exor would definitely be some kind of sword user. I think Marth may be the quintessential swordie, but a goofier swords person might be a better fit. We have nobody like that, alas, so... I guess just Marth or Roy?

Smithy, though? Ridley. Mecha Ridley alt. Boom.
mii swordfighter fits the goofy sword user, as well as toon link pretty easily.

I mean....yeah toon link is more a projectile user but he still uses a sword so it works.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I just realized, what if we get our second fighter announcement in May? Maybe even around May 13th, SMRPG's release date in America?

If it's the Square rep, that'd mean Geno being either confirmed or deconfirmed around his own game's anniversary. Can we get an oof?

D

Deleted member

I like the idea of Ike repeatedly using aether to be the spirit battle for Exor, because (correct me if I'm wrong) he's the only swordfighter (well and Chrom as well but I feel Ike fits better for this) who's sword leaves his hand sometimes. If he repeatedly uses aether, then the sword will spend more time on its own, matching Exor - a stand-alone sword (albeit without the talking but still).

And King Dedede for Smithy because hammers.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I like the idea of Ike repeatedly using aether to be the spirit battle for Exor, because (correct me if I'm wrong) he's the only swordfighter (well and Chrom as well but I feel Ike fits better for this) who's sword leaves his hand sometimes. If he repeatedly uses aether, then the sword will spend more time on its own, matching Exor - a stand-alone sword (albeit without the talking but still).

Don't forget one of Ike's moves is literally him stabbing his sword into the ground, which is exactly what Exor does at the beginning of SMRPG. :p

SKX31

Smash Master

#ProjectHAMMERscancellationwasagreatinjustice

Seriously, that would be difficult to program for one spirit. If the spirits already in the game don't change animations etc. (IIRC) it's going to be difficult to start doing so now.

I do agree that they should favor certain moves (that, on the other hand, already is present in the game). Now I'm getting sidetracked and thinking of the Axem Ranger spirits acting like they do in Super Mario Bros Z. That's how I got introduced to them, and 16 year old me thought they were OCs (I was 4-5 and had no real awareness of video games when SMRPG came out, okay?). My only real issue is, axe wielders are not plentiful in Smash.

#HectorshouldhavegottenintoSmashatsomepoint

Last edited:

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
I just realized, what if we get our second fighter announcement in May? Maybe even around May 13th, SMRPG's release date in America?

If it's the Square rep, that'd mean Geno being either confirmed or deconfirmed around his own game's anniversary. Can we get an oof?
>Mother's day is the 12th of May
>Ninten's hometown in the original Mother 1 is called Mother's day

1555632375393.png

I t ' s g o t i m e.

Honestly though, I really hope we at least get a character announcement trailer in May, sorta like how Robin in Smash 4 was. To me it'd make E3 a bit more exciting as there'd be more time spent on other things not necessarily Smash related. Like maybe Animal Crossing if Nintendo didn't forget they were making it.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace

1. Croco (Yoshi)
2. Johnny (Greninja)
3. Belome (Kirby)
4. Bowyer (Lemmy)
5. Booster (Wario)
6. Valentina (Bayonetta)
7. Dodo (King Dedede)
9. Exor (?)
10. Smithy (?)
Belome: "Time to eat!"
Kirby: "POYO!"

I thought Bowyer could be Link since he's an archer in game, but I see why you chose Lenny... is it because of the hair?
Valentina can work on Bayonetta, but I thought Palutena would be a better fit because both are tall, wear a white dress and the hair of Palutena is green, but that could resemble the green bird hat or wig on top of Valentina.

I'll do a few:
  1. Pandorite, the enemy disguised as a treasure chest, can be Piranha Plant.
  2. Czar Dragon should be a red Ridley, also enlarged; after beating red Ridley, Meta Ridley will emerge since this next battle will be Zombone.
  3. Mack can be Robin because Mack uses fire, but the weapon he rides on is a knife; Robin uses a sword and can use fire.
  4. Yaridovich is a very tricky one, but I think he can be made with Ike; he has to be metal, and there should be two Ikes since Yaridovich can clone.
  5. While I do think Grate Guy and Knife Guy should be separate, they could both work as one spirit since there are spirits that have two characters; the Ice Climbers should be perfect for this, but if they need to separate, then Grate Guy can be Lemmy and Knife Guy can be Joker.
  6. Boomer should be Shulk because Boomer changes his stats during his battle, and Shulk can give himself stat boosts.
  7. I think Exor should be Cloud because he's got the longest and biggest sword in the game; to me I think this, but I see Exor resembling SquareSoft entering the Mushroom Kingdom, and one of Square's most recognizable characters is Cloud. Cloud and Geno are from the same company, and Exor is one of the most recognizable characters of the game, so I think Cloud's perfect for Exor's spirit.
  8. Gunyolk could be Mega Man, and he should be metal, large, and have slowness, or just not moving at all; should have high attack damage.
  9. Smithy's a hard one, but I thought he could be a metal/big King Dedede since both wield hammers.
  10. Jinx could be a tiny Joker with the bunny hood to increase speed and jump since Jinx is really fast.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord

1. Croco (Yoshi)
2. Johnny (Greninja)
3. Belome (Kirby)
4. Bowyer (Lemmy)
5. Booster (Wario)
6. Valentina (Bayonetta)
7. Dodo (King Dedede)
9. Exor (?)
10. Smithy (?)
I could see Boshi instead of Croco, and spirits for the SMRPG versions of Peach, Mario, and Bowser. Your list would be more fun though.

Was anyone else surprised Jack Frost is not anywhere to be found? Not even as a costume. It seems like they went to great lengths to have all the references be just Persona and not SMT related at all.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I'm encouraging people who actually have the game to make a stage with Bowyer in the background and arrows coming down from the sky in the foreground.

Not sure if possible, but would be dope af.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom