• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I'm genuinely confused as to what could be so earth-shattering at E3 with multiple announcements and the main one potentially overshadowing this character's inclusion in Smash.

Kingdom Hearts wouldn't be so unexpected and III just released, so I have my doubts it could be like a new exclusive Switch title and I'm not sure it would be such a big deal anyway given the series has showed up multiple times on Nintendo consoles. So, probably not Sora. And really none of Square's other properties would fit here. Geno certainly won't warrant this kind of mega reaction on his own I don't think since Smash is what would be his big news. Dragon Quest probably doesn't fit this description in large part because DQ11 Switch is coming out. Deus Ex doesn't work. Just Cause doesn't work. Etc. MAYBE Tomb Raider, but I don't think people are going to lose their **** over another Tomb Raider game at this point with how it seems the series is doing well right now.

Bethesda won't have anything to show at the conference all that new and most of it has already shown up on the Switch, so no Doom, Fallout, Wolfenstein, Elder Scrolls, etc.

Namco doesn't have a franchise or character not currently in Smash that could cause that big of a stir.

Capcom's done a good job of supporting the Switch with ports and I don't see any of their remaining characters making big splashes like that (They already did too good of a job reviving most of their franchises and I sadly don't think enough people will love Phoenix Wright or Amaterasu enough to make them headliners for anything any time soon).

Konami doesn't have anyone big left to put into Smash really (Edit: I should probably give Frogger some credit, but he ain't making headlines).

Koei Tecmo doesn't have any IPs big enough to pull that kind of clout.

I'm not sure Take Two interactive has a whole lot it could bring to Switch of note. Sure, GTA V would be a big deal, but what character would they realistically have to put in Smash with a corresponding game? Neither Red Dead will be coming to Switch, Bioshock isn't really such a big deal unless it's on some sort of crazy comeback, and most people don't give a damn if Duke Nukem stays dead after his failure with Forever.

Sega has lots of IPs, but none even big as Sonic really, so they're probably out.

Ubisoft doesn't really have characters that work in Smash to begin with and again, none of their announcements could really be earth-shattering since most of their IPs are generally accounted for anyway (And Rayman's probably not enough on his own despite being their best Smash candidate I would argue).

EA has almost nothing of note and generally can't produce a decent game these days anyway. They DO have the license to the Star Wars video games, so MAYYYBE that could work, but that's such a stretch.

That really only leaves a few companies that could pull anything major at E3 that both makes sense in Smash and would be a cataclysmic announcement:

Activision Blizzard could potentially make some new headlines if they went for like a revival of Crash exclusively on Nintendo or if they did a big Overwatch push on Swtich... But I don't see them pushing anything exclusive since they love money way too much and Overwatch is kind of struggling these days anyway. They've got lots of IPs, but not tons of characters and not a whole lot of reasons to work exclusively with Nintendo.

Sony doesn't seem interested in playing nice with Nintendo or Microsoft at all this generation and won't even be at E3.

I've got no reason to believe that Valve has any interest in the console market at this time (or hell, in making games period), so I'm going to guess it's probably not something like Gordon Freeman, Chell, or Heavy.

Honestly, Microsoft is the only company I see positioned to do anything earth-shattering for Nintendo and Switch at this moment. My first instinct would be Halo coming to Switch with all titles and some sort of exclusive Switch Halo, but they're also busy making Infinite and we've had Chief deconfirmed. Steve seems practically out at this point as well. Cuphead sure won't work. Gears of War probably won't work. Banjo's genuinely one of the only characters I even see having a shot since he would have to come with another big roll-out and his revival would be a big deal, especially if it's on Switch given the level of cross-company coordination such an endeavor would require.

I've been hearing about some mega-announcement in the industry and I just don't know what it could be. We've spent so much time digging up franchises in the past few years, many of which wouldn't be such a big deal on Switch specifically anyway, that I just don't know. Microsoft seems to be the only one outside of maybe Activision Blizzard and maybe Take-Two that could really cause a fuss...

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
This is correct, but the idea is that he's not some C-list character. He's definitely lower A-list. Heck, Sonic even acknowledged him:

I try to forget their 360 designs ever happened.

Look at this monster bear and bird.

Who do they think they are?

D

Deleted member

Banjo's final smash should be his transformation into his NB design, and his opponents being so utterly disgusted they take 60% damage

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
This is correct, but the idea is that he's not some C-list character. He's definitely lower A-list. Heck, Sonic even acknowledged him:

Then what about B-list if that's a thing? I also don't think this representation means they are inherently A-listers.
I think joker was probably easier.

Think about it, to snesify everyone in a way that looks like smrpg, they’d have to create a new model for everyone, making sure it’s simple enough to compress in a way that would look like smrpgs graphics, annnd they’d have to make sure the models are strictly viewed from an isometric point of view.

That’s an insane amount of work just for a character fs. I could see them doing something like that for a reveal trailer, mostly because they could limit it to mario, peach, yoshi and bowser, which they have models already for.

Honestly it was far easier for them to do what they did with joker, than this idea for geno’s fs.
It would be easier with models, but we are working with pixel art on one of the most impressive looking SNES games in it's library. So yeah, I can see how this FS would be extremely hard to make, especially since professional pixel artists are not common in gaming outside of the indie scene.

Edit:
I've got no reason to believe that Valve has any interest in the console market at this time (or hell, in making games period), so I'm going to guess it's probably not something like Gordon Freeman, Chell, or Heavy.
I won't lie, I did think about Valve for a minute or two due to that whole Portal building game that appeared on the Switch. Glad I was not alone on that.

Last edited:

TriggerX

Smash Ace
I'm genuinely confused as to what could be so earth-shattering at E3 with multiple announcements and the main one potentially overshadowing this character's inclusion in Smash.

Kingdom Hearts wouldn't be so unexpected and III just released, so I have my doubts it could be like a new exclusive Switch title and I'm not sure it would be such a big deal anyway given the series has showed up multiple times on the console. So, probably not Sora. And really none of Square's other properties would fit here. Geno certainly won't warrant this kind of mega reaction on his own I don't think since Smash is what would be his big news. Dragon Quest probably doesn't fit this description in large part because DQ11 Switch is coming out. Deus Ex doesn't work. Just Cause doesn't work. Etc. MAYBE Tomb Raider, but I don't think people are going to lose their **** over another Tomb Raider game at this point with how it seems the series is doing well right now.

Bethesda won't have anything to show at the conference all that new and most of it has already shown up on the Switch, so no Doom, Fallout, Wolfenstein, Elder Scrolls, etc.

Namco doesn't have a franchise or character not currently in Smash that could something that big off.

Capcom's done a good job of supporting the Switch with ports and I don't see any of their remaining characters making big splashes like that.

Konami doesn't have anyone big left to put into Smash really.

Koei Tecmo doesn't have any IPs big enough to pull that kind of clout.

I'm not sure Take Two interactive has a whole lot it could bring to Switch of note. Sure, GTA V would be a big deal, but what character would they realistically have to put in Smash with a corresponding game? Neither Red Dead will be coming to Switch, Bioshock isn't really such a big deal unless it's on some sort of crazy comeback, and most people don't give a damn if Duke Nukem stays dead after his failure with Forever.

Sega has lots of IPs, but none even big as Sonic really, so they're probably out.

Ubisoft doesn't really have characters that work in Smash to begin with and again, none of their announcements could really be earth-shattering since most of their IPs are generally accounted for anyway.

EA has almost nothing of note and generally can't produce a decent game these days anyway. They DO have the license to the Star Wars video games, so MAYYYBE that could work, but that's such a stretch.

That really only leaves a few companies that could pull anything major at E3 that both makes sense in Smash and would be a cataclysmic announcement:

Activision Blizzard could potentially make some new headlines if they went for like a revival of Crash exclusively on Nintendo or if they did a big Overwatch push on Swtich... But I don't see them pushing anything exclusive since they love money way too much and Overwatch is kind of struggling these days anyway. They've got lots of IPs, but not tons of characters and not a whole lot of reasons to work exclusively with Nintendo.

Sony doesn't seem interested in playing nice with Nintendo or Microsoft at all this generation and won't even be at E3.

Honestly, Microsoft is the only company I see positioned to do anything earth-shattering for Nintendo and Switch at this moment. My first instinct would be Halo coming to Switch with all titles and some sort of exclusive Switch Halo, but they're also busy making Infinite and we've had Chief deconfirmed. Steve seems practically out at this point as well. Cuphead sure won't work. Gears of War probably won't work. Banjo's genuinely one of the only characters I even see having a shot since he would have to come with another big roll-out and his revival would be a big deal, especially if it's on Switch given the level of cross-company coordination such an endeavor would require.

I've been hearing about some mega-announcement in the industry and I just don't know what it could be. We've spent so much time digging up franchises in the past few years, many of which wouldn't be such a big deal on Switch specifically anyway, that I just don't know. Microsoft seems to be the only one outside of maybe Activision Blizzard and maybe Take-Two that could really cause a fuss...
It probably is Microsoft and Nintendo related. E3 is kind of on a decline in terms of the bigger companies that use to participate in the event. But apparently Microsoft will have its biggest presence at E3 this year.

Banjo and Kazooie would likely only work well on the switch anyways. It’s art style and game play mechanics is geared toward the audience Nintendo has. Platform games are kinda few and far between on the Xbox. The humor is another story, that’s where there may be creative differences. So I could see them remaking or making a sequel to the previous games on the switch.

Master Chief and Steve are still possibilities though. I wouldn’t necessarily write them off until the roster has been announced.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
It probably is Microsoft and Nintendo related. E3 is kind of on a decline in terms of the bigger companies that use to participate in the event. But apparently Microsoft will have its biggest presence at E3 this year.

Banjo and Kazooie would likely only work well on the switch anyways. It’s art style and game play mechanics is geared toward the audience Nintendo has. Platform games are kinda few and far between on the Xbox. The humor is another story, that’s where there may be creative differences. So I could see them remaking or making a sequel to the previous games on the switch.

Master Chief and Steve are still possibilities though. I wouldn’t necessarily write them off until the roster has been announced.
I'm not entirely writing them off, but Frank O' Connor has said that Master Chief isn't going to be in Smash and he's development director at 343, so unless he's misleading us, I'm inclined to trust him on that front.

Steve has been knocked down quite a ways in recent months, with the community manager for Minecraft, Aubrey Norris shooting down Steve as a choice for a Smash character. I also think that we can infer from Fatmanonice Fatmanonice talking about Steve as a potential red herring that Steve is probably not the Smash character he has been hearing about in these circles.

There's enough issues with the both of them that I don't think we can realistically call them frontrunners unless we are very intentionally being misled by higher-ups. And they are basically the only two IPs that Microsoft has control of right now that I could see competing with Banjo for a Microsoft spot. Marcus Fenix I guess could work, but he's dramatically less important than Chief at this point and Gears doesn't quite have the same massive appeal despite being quite popular.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight

Banjo's final smash should be his transformation into his NB design, and his opponents being so utterly disgusted they take 60% damage
Am I the only one not bothered by their 360 appearance? Is the disdain for their most recent appearance colored by the fact that Nuts & Bolts was an awful B-K game? Or is it because it's just different from how they used to look? I associate their new look more with the original teaser for what Nuts & Bolts was supposed to be and look at the redesign somewhat fondly:

Then what about B-list if that's a thing? I also don't think this representation means they are inherently A-listers.
I believe that Smash Ultimate's roster is comprised of a dozen or so A-listers, a large amount of B-listers, and a few C-listers. For instance, I would put Pit as B-list, despite debuting in the same year as Samus and Link... and is potentially a point of dispute. It's hard to place Captain Falcon as he could be a B-lister or a C-lister (and even then, he'd be a low B or a High C). However, I'd say Villager, Isabelle, Duck Hunt, and Diddy Kong ( to name a few) are in solidly B-list. Other C-listers are like Wii Fit Trainer, Ice Climbers, Shulk, Lucas, Roy... i.e. characters most people wouldn't know about if it weren't for Smash. Bayonetta is bunched in with Falcon, I don't know if she's B or C, but she's definitely not A-list.

I'm certain that everyone I listed is probably disputable among other users. There's a surprising amount of information necessary to rank characters in this fashion.

Edit: Forgot to mention certain characters here. I'm certain Geno is either low B or high C (probably closer to high C), but Banjo would have to be low A or REALLY high B.

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion

It would be easier with models, but we are working with pixel art on one of the most impressive looking SNES games in it's library. So yeah, I can see how this FS would be extremely hard to make, especially since professional pixel artists are not common in gaming outside of the indie scene.

Edit:

I won't lie, I did think about Valve for a minute or two due to that whole Portal building game that appeared on the Switch. Glad I was not alone on that.
Technically none of smrgps models were drawn in the same way as say Super Mario world(I don’t think, maybe a small handful like the beetles were possibly) what they did was the same thing donkey Kong country did, they created actual real 3d models using early modeling software, then ported and compressed the quality in a way that could be handled by the snes system. It would have been realistically impossible for them to literally draw out each model and animate them so fluidly using a method similar to other games on the system.

Not that that changes the point at all, in fact it would make it even harder if they had to do it the other way.

Side note; what Games were everyone’s favorite art style wise and/or felt were the most impressive graphics wise for the snes that didn’t use 3d character models like smrpg or dkc?

Some things really stuck out to me back then, super metroid where samus’s sprites were animated mildly even while standing to give the effect of her breathing and just being an actual person in a suit and not a stiff robot. Kirby’s dreamland 3 where every character kinda looked like a crayon drawing, everything about yoshi’s island...

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

Edit:

Valve would definitely be capable of making such a massive announcement. The only issue is that Valve just genuinely doesn't make games much these days and had entirely focused upon supporting Steam as THE PC platform. Artifact hasn't done well at all and DOTA 2 in 2013 was their last really big release. The Portal Bridge Constructor game was a collaboration that actually used one of their beloved IPs, and the Portal games could work extremely well on Switch. But games and particularly console gaming would seemingly be the furthest thing from their mind. Half-Life 3 is the meme at this point, but Portal would be the one I'd want to see.

Also Nintendo and Valve working together sounds impossible when you consider how completely different the companies are in everything they do. Valve's like the antithesis of Nintendo with well built online focused stuff and Nintendo focusing heavily on single player and couch co-op. Their only real parallel would be their online stores being overcrowded with junk lol.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Yeah, it was a typo but I corrected it. Unless something comes up, I'm going to say it's just going to be the big one because the rumors are that several other announcements would be tied to it outside of Smash (at least two at the moment, possibly three based on what some people are saying). Either way, people are implying that the Smash announcement would actually be one of the lesser ones at the show in comparison but we'll see how things play out.
But is this series of announcements Nintendo-related or more akin to third party? If so, is it from Square-Enix?

fleshdude.gov

Smash Journeyman
Valve would definitely be capable of making such a massive announcement. The only issue is that Valve just genuinely doesn't make games much these days and had entirely focused upon supporting Steam as THE PC platform. Artifact hasn't done well at all and DOTA 2 in 2013 was their last really big release. The Portal Bridge Constructor game was a collaboration that actually used one of their beloved IPs, and the Portal games could work extremely well on Switch. But games and particularly console gaming would seemingly be the furthest thing from their mind. Half-Life 3 is the meme at this point, but Portal would be the one I'd want to see.

Also Nintendo and Valve working together sounds impossible when you consider how completely different the companies are in everything they do. Valve's like the antithesis of Nintendo with well built online focused stuff and Nintendo focusing heavily on single player and couch co-op. Their only real parallel would be their online stores being overcrowded with junk lol.
I mean, Nintendo & Microsoft are apparently working together to some degree, and they're literally direct competitors in the console market, so I don't really see how Nintendo and Valve working together makes any less sense....

Besides, who said Valve would be developing said games? They're no stranger to handing others their IPs to work with, after all.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I like how we can get some major speculation news and still be in the exact same spot of "who can it be?"

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I like how we can get some major speculation news and still be in the exact same spot of "who can it be?"
On the upside, things seem more open now and a lot of rumors got shot down recently thanks to Joker coming out, including that major 2Chan one. Signs seem to be pointing to someone for E3 but people could be being led on and, as we've learned, insiders do sometimes bull**** each other for one reason or another. Even outside of Smash, people are implying this is going to be an E3 to remember for Nintendo so, even if Smash falls through for whatever reason, there will probably be plenty to look forward to.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
It's true that they are fragmented. The thing that makes me doubt Banjo's mainstream popularity right now is their (undeserved) fall from grace post-buyout, and them getting buried post Nuts and Bolts (with the exception of All-Stars Racing). And the fact that they're overshadowed by other platforming greats. It's closing in on 20 years since they've last seen a big game, and soon the oldest people that are younger than Banjo-Tooie will celebrate their 18th birthday. Thus, they had to go get old N64s and the game in order to experience it and Kazooie legally when they were kids (before the Xbox Live ports and Rare Replay). While the market retention from Kazooie to Tooie isn't great (from 3.6 to 1.5 million) I'd blame that on Tooie being released just as Gamecube, Xbox and PS2 were about to hit the store shelves.

Had they gotten additional games, or had Nuts and Bolts been a success, I'd agree and place them solidly in the A tier. I'm just really unsure about their placing in the wider gaming spectrum, nevermind among Average Joes.
Not having games in a long time doesn't mean people forget you. If that were the case, Samus wouldn't qualify as a gaming legend, and neither would games like GoldenEye or franchises like Star Fox be considered classics. If Castlevania and Mega Man can be E3 tier picks so can Banjo-Kazooie.

Plus it's not like the average Joe knows anything about anything. Ask a kid and they're bound to call Link 'Zelda'. Where I live, some people call Pikachu 'Pokemon'. As videogames become more massive, the divide between what gamers and non-gamers know is widening, so I wouldn't stake so much on what the 'average Joe' knows.
What's that 60% noise, make it 300%
Cool new pfp.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Would Banjo-Kazooie actually be a super hype reveal? May seem like a rhetorical question but I feel like a lot of people aren't taking into account that Banjo's last main series game (if we're excluding Nuts & Bolts + GBA titles) came out 18 years ago. A whole generation has grown up since then, and the gaming world has evolved dramatically. Will casual audiences really know who Banjo is because I don't know, I feel like his popularity is sorta hyped up in some instances. Sure he was popular back then, and those individuals that played his games are likely the hardcore fans still holding onto the franchise today. But do you guys really think Banjo is iconic enough to warrant a super hype reveal like Sonic and make people think "holy **** I have to buy this DLC".

(I'm not trying to downplay Banjo's popularity or even make an argument against him, I'm just genuinely curious to here what people have to say).

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Would Banjo-Kazooie actually be a super hype reveal? May seem like a rhetorical question but I feel like a lot of people aren't taking into account that Banjo's last main series game (if we're excluding Nuts & Bolts + GBA titles) came out 18 years ago. A whole generation has grown up since then, and the gaming world has evolved dramatically. Will casual audiences really know who Banjo is because I don't know, I feel like his popularity is sorta hyped up in some instances. Sure he was popular back then, and those individuals that played his games are likely the hardcore fans still holding onto the franchise today. But do you guys really think Banjo is iconic enough to warrant a super hype reveal like Sonic and make people think "holy **** I have to buy this DLC".

(I'm not trying to downplay Banjo's popularity or even make an argument against him, I'm just genuinely curious to here what people have to say).
Absolutely. Keep in mind that the average age of a Nintendo consumer is around the 20s to 30s.

Hell, by the time Sonic made it into Brawl he was way past the glory days and the Colors-Generations revival was yet to come. That didn't make it any less hype, because people understood what Sonic meant and the history he had with Nintendo. Banjo is pretty much the only character that's comparable, only instead of the longtime rivals finally duking it out, it would be the prodigal son coming home. In this case I would argue that the long wait makes it more hype, not less.

Just look at the reaction to the N. Same Trilogy being announced if you need evidence. Crash's case is pretty similar, dates and all, and I think we can all agree that he didn't stop being an icon.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Absolutely. Keep in mind that the average age of a Nintendo consumer is around the 20s to 30s.

Hell, by the time Sonic made it into Brawl he was way past the glory days and the Colors-Generations revival was yet to come. That didn't make it any less hype, because people understood what Sonic meant and the history he had with Nintendo. Banjo is pretty much the only character that's comparable, only instead of the longtime rivals finally duking it out, it would be the prodigal son coming home. In this case I would argue that the long wait makes it more hype, not less.

Just look at the reaction to the N. Same Trilogy being announced if you need evidence. Crash's case is pretty similar, dates and all, and I think we can all agree that he didn't stop being an icon.
You bring up some great points! I could definitely see the crowd going ape**** at E3 now if Banjo were to be announced.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight

You bring up some great points! I could definitely see the crowd going ape**** at E3 now if Banjo were to be announced.
Just imagine, during the direct there's a point where the screen goes pitch black.

Then, all of a sudden, you hear...

"GUH-HUH!"

And the legend says that many pairs of pants were replaced that day.

Edit: Couple that announcement with a possible second character and you have literal history in the making.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord

Yes, definitely. He's pretty much the most requested character left that hasn't been AT'd along with Geno, Sora, and Shantae. The thing to keep in mind with characters like Geno and Banjo is that we're living in 2019 and since the mid-aughts kids growing up have had access to Youtube. I think even though it's been over a decade since Banjo has had a release there's been so many Let's Plays, streamers, etc. that have introduced people to the Banjo-Kazooie franchise. And the games have so much charm and humor plus an amazing and memorable soundtrack that to be honest I could see a lot of people being fans of the franchise without ever having actually played them (as was the case for Earthbound for a long time). It would also be hype because it would be seen as a rectification of Microsoft's major mishandling of Rare and Banjo-Kazooie in particular.

I could very well see a trailer where 2 or 3 characters already on the roster and being ganged up on by like Gannondorf, Ridley, and Dark Samus and all hope seems lost. And then you can hear some faint banjo twangs that slowly get faster and faster until it's the full BK theme and Banjo-Kazooie burst into wherever the other characters are and just go to town taking on the villains interspersed with their gameplay. I think people would go ape****.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I mean, Nintendo & Microsoft are apparently working together to some degree, and they're literally direct competitors in the console market, so I don't really see how Nintendo and Valve working together makes any less sense....

Besides, who said Valve would be developing said games? They're no stranger to handing others their IPs to work with, after all.
Microsoft and Nintendo have slowly built up a relationship over the past couple of years and it seems to only be growing as we recently saw Cuphead come to the system. It's not really much of a stretch to see them work together on further projects.

Meanwhile, Valve has never worked with Nintendo except for maybe certifying the Portal Bridge Constructor. Despite being two of the biggest companies in the industry, they've really never even come close to one another. There's just no history there. Valve is also, and has always been, predominately focused on the PC market, a place Nintendo has zero presence in. Microsoft and Valve working together makes much more sense because they share common ground with the PC platforms and basically enable Steam's primary platform in Windows. Nintendo and Valve have no history and no overlap. Microsoft and Nintendo have slowly been building a relationship together and are both console market icons. I think they're are demonstrably different situations because of all of this.

Even Valve leasing out the properties is kind of a big rarity, and a spin-off with the Half-Life name or anything else isn't going to make the kind of waves that a main title will. And those are most definitely not going to be launching exclusively on Switch or even revealed during something Nintendo related.

I mean, you know Conker pretty well. Take Conker and amp him up quite highly and to a broader audience as one of the main icons of the N64 era. There's a lot of gamers who have either grown up directly with Banjo or at least know of him from afar. Especially when you start factoring in new people who have come to learn about the game or younger fans that have been influenced by support of the games to have an active interest in the franchise. Banjo Kazooie is in a rather unique situation of its own mythos and relation to Nintendo being arguably outperforming the original game since it's become THE Rare property formerly associated with Nintendo in many ways. It has a legend many people know even if they don't know the games directly.

If we can influence a character like King K. Rool to become mainstream and gain attention, we can certainly achieve the same with Banjo Kazooie.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Am I the only one not bothered by their 360 appearance? Is the disdain for their most recent appearance colored by the fact that Nuts & Bolts was an awful B-K game? Or is it because it's just different from how they used to look? I associate their new look more with the original teaser for what Nuts & Bolts was supposed to be and look at the redesign somewhat fondly:

I believe that Smash Ultimate's roster is comprised of a dozen or so A-listers, a large amount of B-listers, and a few C-listers. For instance, I would put Pit as B-list, despite debuting in the same year as Samus and Link... and is potentially a point of dispute. It's hard to place Captain Falcon as he could be a B-lister or a C-lister (and even then, he'd be a low B or a High C). However, I'd say Villager, Isabelle, Duck Hunt, and Diddy Kong ( to name a few) are in solidly B-list. Other C-listers are like Wii Fit Trainer, Ice Climbers, Shulk, Lucas, Roy... i.e. characters most people wouldn't know about if it weren't for Smash. Bayonetta is bunched in with Falcon, I don't know if she's B or C, but she's definitely not A-list.

I'm certain that everyone I listed is probably disputable among other users. There's a surprising amount of information necessary to rank characters in this fashion.

Edit: Forgot to mention certain characters here. I'm certain Geno is either low B or high C (probably closer to high C), but Banjo would have to be low A or REALLY high B.
My main issue with the 360 design is that Banjo feel really "blocky" , just look at his fingers , his nose , it feel too blocky. Kazooie is actually very good , the eyes are a bit weird tho.

And holy moly E3 is going to be big. Guess I'm the only one praying for info on Luigi's Mansion 3 , and Nintendo Selects to come back lol(I want Odyssey but it's too expensive for me xD)

Granted , if BK do really come to Smash with Rare replay and the Game Pass , this is going to be plain ol' amazing. I try to not get hyped , but it's hard xD

It's been since november that I wasn't hyped for anything (I didn't even get hyped for the BiS remake. I love it , but I didn't had any expectations or stuff like that , even tho it's one of my favorite games of all time !) , so **** it. If It's false , I'm going to be disapointed but the ride would have been worth it.

But... There's smoke , so there's fire.
God , this is a bit too exciting. At least , for now , Cuphead is on Switch ! I'm sooooo gonna buy that and get destroyed by those bosses.

SKX31

Smash Master

I've raised my concerns with a new Banjo game before. To summarize, I'm not sure current Rare can pull it off (having spent so long on Sea of Thieves recently) and I'm not sure Playtonic (the company with important Ex-Rare employees) would play ball with Microsoft. Basically, to get a new Banjo game going Microsoft has to assemble a new team they're confident with, and since fans expect it they'll need 90-100 Jiggies, Jinjos etc. as collectibles. Something big in scope, perhaps bigger than even Odyssey.

Remaking Kazooie / Tooie and giving them a HD polish a la Crash / Spyro would be feasible though. If I were a betting man I'd put my money on that.

Not having games in a long time doesn't mean people forget you. If that were the case, Samus wouldn't qualify as a gaming legend, and neither would games like GoldenEye or franchises like Star Fox be considered classics. If Castlevania and Mega Man can be E3 tier picks so can Banjo-Kazooie.

Plus it's not like the average Joe knows anything about anything. Ask a kid and they're bound to call Link 'Zelda'. Where I live, some people call Pikachu 'Pokemon'. As videogames become more massive, the divide between what gamers and non-gamers know is widening, so I wouldn't stake so much on what the 'average Joe' knows.
I'm not saying people forget - rather, that most of the new cohort born after the last big game doesn't know of characters at all because they literally came after that last big game. Most people here, for example, have one of the Post Metroid Prime games as their first console Metroid game. It's one of the things No Strings PD knocked Nintendo on in his "What Happened to F-Zero?" Youtube video when the Youtuber mentioned that the next F-Zero game would be GX, but bigger. Which is unthinkable to Nintendo. Just like his case where "Little Johnny No-Thumbs can't just pop down the shops and buy a copy of F-Zero." the same happened with the N64 Banjo games, SMRPG and countless others at some point because their games and consoles lived out their shelf life. While the Xbox Live ports and Rare Replay did help the Banjo games tremendously, they can also be pulled from the Net stores at a whim.

While it's true that Average Joes won't know much at all most of the time, they still remain a very important demographic because they can still wind up buying games (and increase the number of dedicated gamers). Perhaps because their kid wants it, perhaps because they heard about it from a friend. Hype amongst them have helped substain Pokemon and Mario as franchises, and revitalize Nintendo's console fortunes with the Wii and the Switch. It's kind of what allows Nintendo to go for more niche projects that appeals to the dedicated fans.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I've raised my concerns with a new Banjo game before. To summarize, I'm not sure current Rare can pull it off (having spent so long on Sea of Thieves recently) and I'm not sure Playtonic (the company with important Ex-Rare employees) would play ball with Microsoft. Basically, to get a new Banjo game going Microsoft has to assemble a new team they're confident with, and since fans expect it they'll need 90-100 Jiggies, Jinjos etc. as collectibles. Something big in scope, perhaps bigger than even Odyssey.

Remaking Kazooie / Tooie and giving them a HD polish a la Crash / Spyro would be feasible though. If I were a betting man I'd put my money on that.

I'm not saying people forget - rather, that most of the new cohort born after the last big game doesn't know of characters at all because they literally came after that last big game. Most people here, for example, have one of the Post Metroid Prime games as their first console Metroid game. It's one of the things No Strings PD knocked Nintendo on in his "What Happened to F-Zero?" Youtube video when the Youtuber mentioned that the next F-Zero game would be GX, but bigger. Which is unthinkable to Nintendo. Just like his case where "Little Johnny No-Thumbs can't just pop down the shops and buy a copy of F-Zero." the same happened with the N64 Banjo games, SMRPG and countless others at some point because their games and consoles lived out their shelf life. While the Xbox Live ports and Rare Replay did help the Banjo games tremendously, they can also be pulled from the Net stores at a whim.

While it's true that Average Joes won't know much at all most of the time, they still remain a very important demographic because they can still wind up buying games (and increase the number of dedicated gamers). Perhaps because their kid wants it, perhaps because they heard about it from a friend. Hype amongst them have helped substain Pokemon and Mario as franchises, and revitalize Nintendo's console fortunes with the Wii and the Switch. It's kind of what allows Nintendo to go for more niche projects that appeals to the dedicated fans.
Like people above have mentioned (I'm mainly quoting Datboigeno Datboigeno here) even for people born after Banjo's glory days it's not easy to not know who he is. Banjo is still constantly referenced in gamer culture, to the tune of Let's Plays, top ten lists, and all that jazz, that keep him in a sort of 'gaming pantheon'.

This is mostly anecdotal, but to give you an idea of where I'm coming from: when the Grinch leak happened, a couple of my less hardcore gamer friends talked to me about it and they all remarked about how the most hype was Banjo. They knew Shadow and Ken, but not the others in it. (One of them also didn't know K. Rool, and was barely familiar with Ridley, to put things into context) Without going into specifics, none of us is old enough to have grown up with Banjo, so that's kind of a testament to the legendary status of the games.

SKX31

Smash Master
Like people above have mentioned (I'm mainly quoting Datboigeno Datboigeno here) even for people born after Banjo's glory days it's not easy to not know who he is. Banjo is still constantly referenced in gamer culture, to the tune of Let's Plays, top ten lists, and all that jazz, that keep him in a sort of 'gaming pantheon'.

This is mostly anecdotal, but to give you an idea of where I'm coming from: when the Grinch leak happened, a couple of my less hardcore gamer friends talked to me about it and they all remarked about how the most hype was Banjo. They knew Shadow and Ken, but not the others in it. (One of them also didn't know K. Rool, and was barely familiar with Ridley, to put things into context) Without going into specifics, none of us is old enough to have grown up with Banjo, so that's kind of a testament to the legendary status of the games.
Ah, so it's likely much different perspectives then. I've also heard of the references on the Net and so on, I just wasn't sure about how wide spread it actually was. Also I'm from Sweden, a majorly computer dominated area at that (birthplace of Dreamhack, DICE, and so on etc.) and if not those or Minecraft, a lot of the spotlight's on sports games like EA's FIFA / NHL games. Even as Sweden has a sizeable Nintendo fanbase (Armada's from Gothenburg, Leffen's from Stockholm just to name two major examples) I haven't heard Banjo much at all here. But I (anecdotally) have a couple friends who are very likely aware of the duo. It's not like they're super well known here, but they're not completely obscure. Likewise, I think one of my real life friends and the circle he's engaged in (Retro Nintendo games) are aware of Geno, but he's not super well known here either.

That's the lens I was coming from, referencing my real life surroundings.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I believe it was mentioned before, but would Mojang employees directly addressing Steve's chances violate an NDA? Not that one employee who was asked on the spot, but the people on Twitter. This leads me to believe that Steve might not be in. I know one of the people that expressed doubt was Mojang's Community Manager, and people say that she wouldn't truly know if Steve was in, but I don't know...
I noticed I forgot to reply to this. It would only violate an NDA if Mojang was actually involved in the project, giving credence that they're telling the truth that they're not involved.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Hi, Geno pals! Hope you're all having a good day!

I have decided on something to give some positivity to this thread: some Geno and Mallow scenarios, once a day (or once every chance I get), that are wholesome or heart-string tugging or otherwise open for discussion. I think that'd be a lot of fun!

Okay, so it's spring time, and we have Easter! Imagine this: Mallow is well-aware of egg painting and Easter festivities, but Geno, being a star-faring spirit, is completely oblivious. Mallow is quick to urge him to come to Nimbus Land and paint eggs with him. He can use the doll to make things more accessible, and he can bring Gaz along, too! Geno is totally baffled, absolutely full of questions — "Why is it a tradition to paint them? Can we paint them any way we want? What do we do with them after? Do we eat them? Do we let them hatch?" — and Mallow is patient enough to answer them all. Gaz gets paint all over the place, but it's a-OK. Mallow is surprisingly very neat with his painting, whereas Geno is... well. His hands are a little shaky and unused to manipulating the doll's body for such minute precision. His painted eggs don't look so hot, but the mish-mash of mixing colors and fun patterns enamors him. He paints all kinds of starry patterns that hardly look like tangible stars at all. Mallow makes a WHOLE gamut of simpler patterns with pastels, and Gaz just... kind of goes ham and makes a bunch of weird, colorful abominations.

Their eggs are finished, and it's up to them whether they want to cook them or use them for something else. Mallow resigns to cooking his, as does Gaz, and while Geno mostly agrees, he feels particularly... impish today. His less rational side makes a sly grin spread 'cross his face, to which Mallow can only think, "Oh no."

Mario, he loves you. You're a great friend. That said, you're prime house-egging material. (Mario and Geno have one of those, "We're good friends, so we mess with each other and make each other's lives even more stupid," kind of friendships in my head. You cannot change this.) It ends up in Mario and Geno throwing eggs at each other, laughing jubilantly like children. Gaz is confused. Mallow regrets everything.

(For reference, I picture Geno as being generally a more serious guy when the time calls for it, but I picture he ascended to Star Haven rather early because of his notable strength. He didn't get enough of a childhood, so that childish side of him... really never left entirely. Put him in his most casual kind of situation, and you get to see it unleashed, see above. Dork. DORK!)

Last edited:

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Hi, Geno pals! Hope you're all having a good day!

I have decided on something to give some positivity to this thread: some Geno and Mallow scenarios, once a day (or once every chance I get), that are wholesome or heart-string tugging or otherwise open for discussion. I think that'd be a lot of fun!

Okay, so it's spring time, and we have Easter! Imagine this: Mallow is well-aware of egg painting and Easter festivities, but Geno, being a star-faring spirit, is completely oblivious. Mallow is quick to urge him to come to Nimbus Land and paint eggs with him. He can use the doll to make things more accessible, and he can bring Gaz along, too! Geno is totally baffled, absolutely full of questions — "Why is it a tradition to paint them? Can we paint them any way we want? What do we do with them after? Do we eat them? Do we let them hatch?" — and Mallow is patient enough to answer them all. Gaz gets paint all over the place, but it's a-OK. Mallow is surprisingly very neat with his painting, whereas Geno is... well. His hands are a little shaky and unused to manipulating the doll's body for such minute precision. His painted eggs don't look so hot, but the mish-mash of mixing colors and fun patterns enamors him. He paints all kinds of starry patterns that hardly look like tangible stars at all. Mallow makes a WHOLE gamut of simpler patterns with pastels, and Gaz just... kind of goes ham and makes a bunch of weird, colorful abominations.

Their eggs are finished, and it's up to them whether they want to cook them or use them for something else. Mallow resigns to cooking his, as does Gaz, and while Geno mostly agrees, he feels particularly... impish today. His less rational side makes a sly grin spread 'cross his face, to which Mallow can only think, "Oh no."

Mario, he loves you. You're a great friend. That said, you're prime house-egging material. (Mario and Geno have one of those, "We're good friends, so we mess with each other and make each other's lives even more stupid," kind of friendships in my head. You cannot change this.) It ends up in Mario and Geno throwing eggs at each other, laughing jubilantly like children. Gaz is confused. Mallow regrets everything.

(For reference, I picture Geno as being generally a more serious guy when the time calls for it, but I picture he ascended to Star Haven rather early because of his notable strength. He didn't get enough of a childhood, so that childish side of him... really never left entirely. Put him in his most casual kind of situation, and you get to see it unleashed, see above. Dork. DORK!)
This is actually amazing.
I would love for Geno to have this personnality in canon honestly , it fit him pretty well ! (Granted , Loopyluppe SMRPG color key interpretation of Geno is the canon one for me lol.)

I wonder where these eggs came from... I don't know if they can be Yoshi eggs , since no mention of them are present at Yo'Ster Island. (Only cookies) But after all , there is the giant Birdo Egg...

Also , am I the only person to think that "Mallow regrets everything" line has ton of meme potential ? No ? Is that just me :happysheep:?

Ovaltine

Smash Master
This is actually amazing.
I would love for Geno to have this personnality in canon honestly , it fit him pretty well ! (Granted , Loopyluppe SMRPG color key interpretation of Geno is the canon one for me lol.)

I wonder where these eggs came from... I don't know if they can be Yoshi eggs , since no mention of them are present at Yo'Ster Island. (Only cookies) But after all , there is the giant Birdo Egg...

Also , am I the only person to think that "Mallow regrets everything" line has ton of meme potential ? No ? Is that just me :happysheep:?
Haha! Funny enough, my inspiration for Geno's personality (that I've delved into really... really deeply, RIP) is definitely Loopy's portrayal with a very hearty dash of my own ideas. I feel ya there. As for the eggs, I can imagine they'd be Birdo eggs, probably, or some other kind of tiny, spotless egg.

Also Mallow regretting everything is a freaking mood if I've ever seen one, honestly.

Justin Little

Smash Ace

If Banjo is a high B tier or low A tier, then Diddy would certainly be higher than Banjo since Diddy Kong Racing is Banjo's highest selling game. Diddy stars not only in one of the best Kart racers ever (Banjo's debut) but also one of the best platformers ever, all of which outsold the entirety of Banjo's own games.

Ovaltine

Smash Master

If Banjo is a high B tier or low A tier, then Diddy would certainly be higher than Banjo since Diddy Kong Racing is Banjo's highest selling game. Diddy stars not only in one of the best Kart racers ever (Banjo's debut) but also one of the best platformers ever, all of which outsold the entirety of Banjo's own games.
Looking at your mains post-Melee and seeing all that Diddy, like...

You, sir? You have amazing taste. I was so happy when Diddy got into Brawl. :drflip:

Justin Little

Smash Ace
Why Thank You Kindly Ovaltine! May your Geno be with the Smash crew soon.

As for your friendly Diddy Kong Police, I must ride off. Giddyup!

Last edited:

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Haha! Funny enough, my inspiration for Geno's personality (that I've delved into really... really deeply, RIP) is definitely Loopy's portrayal with a very hearty dash of my own ideas. I feel ya there. As for the eggs, I can imagine they'd be Birdo eggs, probably, or some other kind of tiny, spotless egg.

Also Mallow regretting everything is a freaking mood if I've ever seen one, honestly.
Iv'e made this , if you wanna use it lol

Mallow regrets everything.jpg

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Beautiful. That said, I'd rather not, given it's someone else's art (and from Japan, no less, so language barrier is a thing). I think I'll definitely draw a little somethin'-somethin' for this, though... ;)
Yeah , I know it was a fan-art. I sadly couldn't find any official art of a sad or panicked Mallow. I should check for Mallow sprites I guess, he has one when he's surprised and another one when he cry.

Oooooooh , I cannot wait for this :bluejump:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Hey all,
so I was looking up some things around the codenames we've come to know in the datamine, and found some interesting stuff.
Bear in mind that a lot of what I'm going to present are based on connections, so take it very lightly, but it's still pretty fascinating even if there isn't anything there.

We found out that Joker's persona, Arsene, was codenamed Doyle, most likely after the author of Sherlock Holmes, Arthur Conan Doyle.
The author of Arsene Lupin (Maurice Leblanc) has written about sherlock holmes in his own stories, and later had to change the name because doyle pressed him legally in order to have it changed. He changed the name to Herlock Sholmes after that. There was a collection of the stories called Arsène Lupin versus Herlock Sholmes. Both characters are very famous and have been connected in quite a few ways, so that can explain why they chose Doyle for joker's persona, who was inspired by Arsene Lupin.

What's another story that has a thief and a detective? Persona 5. I had been wondering if there was more inspiration from that era onto the other characters in the game, and that's where i found some cool stuff. Now, some of it involves a dark case, and I 'll have to talk about some perona spoilers after it, so read only the rest if you're ok with that and played or watched most of persona 5 (i'll put it in spoilers tho). One big story that was often interlinked with sherlock holmes is Jack the ripper. The first Sherlock Holmes book was written not long before the first case. and while Doyle didn't write about jack, there were theories surrounding him and a friend of his that may have investigated the case. Sherlock also had tons of stories and movies involving it.

Out of the books, there's one author who was also a journalist, Stephen Knight, who wrote about a 'royal' conspiracy behind the attacks, and there were other things and even movies based from those kinds of stories, including "A Study in Terror" and "Murder by Decree" which both had Sherlock Holmes in it and followed the royal conspiracy theory. A later story by someone else was even called Sherlock Holmes and the Royal Flush. I'm not making this up, you can look it up. :p

And do you know who the last victim was that made the character even more infamous due to 'getting away with it' and never having been caught? Mary Jane Kelly. Of course, she was featured in some of those stories and movies. Now, besides Joker having a knife, there's no direct connection with jack the ripper, but his codename was still jack, and then we find about a Jane, and now a Doyle connected with Arsene. And the thing is, Doyle is supposed to be with the detective side, not with jack, so just like the name change for sherlock in the Arsene works, something's been reversed here too. (Or we could also put the funny idea that instead of it being Leblanc that stole the fictional name, it's Arsene who stole the author's name.)

Now I need to get into persona 5 spoilers to add a bit more
If youve watched or played the game, you know that there's another 'reversal' that happens, where someone who's supposed to be a good person is actually not, and the thieves are actually 'good'. Some of the themes are flipped, which is something cool that can happen in works that use stories that already exist for inspiration. Jack is still pursued by the detective, but it's different, and we dont know much about jane, but she could be another flip of the role being victim to jack somehow, or even one of the detective.

So, you can take it as you will, I'm just sharing it because I think it's interesting and maybe possible those were actually themes that were either inspired in the background for some characters, or flat-out involved in the new p5r game, for one because of the codenames but also because it's called The Royal.
I'm really just putting the ideas there, there might be more to it, or it might just be very loose connections, or not much at all. In any case I hope it's at least enjoyable to think about.

I decided to post this in the geno thread because I know there's a lot of cool people here ;)
(that and I'm still the last poster in the joker thread ;p)

Last edited:

Musubi

Smash Apprentice
I tried making a Star Hill stage. The ID is QL4WR06P if you want to check it out.

Sorry I'm going to try not to spam SMRPG levels but I also just made a stage based on the fight with Bowyer. Here is the ID: 597TNG1W.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace

Sorry for being rude about this, but geez, the Microsoft era design for Banjo & Kazooie look horrible; their Nintendo era design looked sooo much better than this. After Bungie left Microsoft, they did the same thing with redesigning Master Chief's armor, too, as in making it look ridiculously futuristic and weird, not sticking with his Mark VI armor design from Halo 2 and 3 at all. After Microsoft bought Minecraft, to me it looked like they were downgrading it and kept adding unnecessary stuff in new updates, and I think they're still adding unnecessary stuff to this day. Okay, looking at Banjo & Kazooie's new design again, how do their designs go from incredibly amazing to "what the **** is even that"? Man, the Microsoft touch is really dangerous.

If we do get a Microsoft rep and Banjo & Kazooie are chosen, I pray that Sakurai goes with their original/Nintendo 64 design.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Sorry for being rude about this, but geez, the Microsoft era design for Banjo & Kazooie look horrible; their Nintendo era design looked sooo much better than this. After Bungie left Microsoft, they did the same thing with redesigning Master Chief's armor, too, as in making it look ridiculously futuristic and weird, not sticking with his Mark VI armor design from Halo 2 and 3 at all. After Microsoft bought Minecraft, to me it looked like they were downgrading it and kept adding unnecessary stuff in new updates, and I think they're still adding unnecessary stuff to this day. Okay, looking at Banjo & Kazooie's new design again, how do their designs go from incredibly amazing to "what the **** is even that"? Man, the Microsoft touch is really dangerous.

If we do get a Microsoft rep and Banjo & Kazooie are chosen, I pray that Sakurai goes with their original/Nintendo 64 design.
If it's any comfort, Sakurai's words to Namco were essentially "Classic :4pacman: or bust! No Ghostly Adventures Pacman!*"

I'm also confident all three Microsoft characters will get in eventually, so Sakurai's probably sticking to the classic designs in all three cases.

(*While I agree that design's really bad, I'm not using the opportunity to bash the cartoon. Haven't seen it nor the 80's cartoon. But from what seen, both intro theme songs are terrible.)

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
If it's any comfort, Sakurai's words to Namco were essentially "Classic :4pacman: or bust! No Ghostly Adventures Pacman!*"

I'm also confident all three Microsoft characters will get in eventually, so Sakurai's probably sticking to the classic designs in all three cases.

(*While I agree that design's really bad, I'm not using the opportunity to bash the cartoon. Haven't seen it nor the 80's cartoon. But from what seen, both intro theme songs are terrible.)
I love that decision of his for PAC-MAN. I don't care about Steve or a Minecraft character, but I do pray if Banjo and Master Chief get in, Sakurai sticks with their original designs. I can see Sakurai giving us Master Chief's Mark VI armor from Halo 2 and his Mark V armor from Halo: CE. Chief's Halo 4 design is just... ugh, I really hope he doesn't add that design in at all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom