• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I've been told that I've done quite a bit for the Ninten fans on here so him saying that is slightly infuriating but it's just one guy. I'm not gonna stop what I do just because he doesn't like me.
yeah, really if no one likes Ninten simply because they think you're being annoying (when you're just giving legitimate criticism and have actually tried to show Ninten's chances and show he isn't just Ness) then they don't actually care about the character or the game anyway and aren't worth trying to prove anything to.

Really reminds me of how I try to give legitimate reasons Steve could work or why he'd possibly be added but I just get shut down without the other person bothering to see it from my point of view; I can see why people would think Steve would be bad, but gosh just not bothering to read my reasons right/completely or even saying "bothersome Minecraft fans" or even them acting like they just don't want Steve fans to get hurt but later it's clear that they're lying :glare:

Last edited:

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
You're a sweetheart and an ambitious person, so yeah, don't let people like that get to you. Glad you're not letting him mess with you. Keep doing what you're doing! :drflip:
This is one of the nicest things anyone has ever told me on this site. Thanks for making my day! :ness:

yeah, really if no one likes Ninten simply because they think you're being annoying (when you're just giving legitimate criticism and have actually tried to show Ninten's chances and show he isn't just Ness) then they don't actually care about the character or the game anyway and aren't worth trying to prove anything to.
Couldn't have said it better myself honestly. I know that he's not a Mother fan, so what he said there was kinda just spewing hot air.
I think he's just scared of me for whatever reason.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Eh, you’ve still got perfectly reasonable fan picks like Bandanna Dee and Dixie Kong left with big communities attached to them. Not to mention any number of smaller characters that could still fit the bill as a fan favorite. If assist trophies go out the window, then it’s open season for fan favorites too.

Plus, I don’t know if they’re aiming to top Ridley at E3 (and I’d argue most third parties will just plainly meet Ridley in terms of hype creators at E3). While I believe that they want to include “hype” picks, I also don’t think there going to position Smash as THE hype maker it was last year.

I’m also still just not expecting them to drop more than one announcement at a time for this DLC cycle.
I just don't really see why you're counting Geno out and Dixie and Bandanna Dee in when one has a costume in-game and the other has a spirit like Geno. Especially if you're saying assist trophies are magically going to be potentially DLC now when we've heard nothing of the sort. Also Reggie even said the DLC characters are going to be unexpected. Bandana Dee and Dixie definitely aren't unexpected at this point considering they're first party characters that have been in major games recently. If they're having an E3 announcement for ssbu it's going to be something big and exciting especially with how popular and high selling ssbu has been. I mean I'm pretty sure there's been speculation that it's the best selling fighting title ever. And yeah they might not do two announcements. But even just Geno or just Banjo would be a huge deal.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Really reminds me of how I try to give legitimate reasons Steve could work or why he'd possibly be added but I just get shut down without the other person bothering to see it from my point of view; I can see why people would think Steve would be bad, but gosh just not bothering to read my reasons right/completely or even saying "bothersome Minecraft fans" or even them acting like they just don't want Steve fans to get hurt but later it's clear that they're lying :glare:
Hot take: accentuating the negative over something you don't want people to get just increases interest over the thing in question.

At that point, if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all, otherwise, good job, you just encouraged people to pay more positive attention to the thing you hate and want ignored.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I just don't really see why you're counting Geno out and Dixie and Bandanna Dee in when one has a costume in-game and the other has a spirit like Geno. Especially if you're saying assist trophies are magically going to be potentially DLC now when we've heard nothing of the sort. Also Reggie even said the DLC characters are going to be unexpected. Bandana Dee and Dixie definitely aren't unexpected at this point considering they're first party characters that have been in major games recently. If they're having an E3 announcement for ssbu it's going to be something big and exciting especially with how popular and high selling ssbu has been. I mean I'm pretty sure there's been speculation that it's the best selling fighting title ever. And yeah they might not do two announcements. But even just Geno or just Banjo would be a huge deal.
When did I ever count Geno out? I just said there were other fan favorites that could fit the bill who aren’t currently out of the running via assist trophies. Geno and Banjo are not the only two big fan favorite left is what I was saying. Geno fits in with those other characters as a fan favorite, but he’s not the only reasonable second to a Banjo sort of thing which all stemmed from Zack saying he could only see Banjo and Geno being the two fan favorites.

As for assist trophies. I’m not saying they’ll magically be a thing in the Fighters Pass. I was just pointing out that there are lots of fan favorites still out there, and that assist trophies aren’t technically off the table yet (though incredibly unlikely I will admit). If assist trophies could come in, there’d be a whole lot more competition again.

Why go for the unexpected comment though? That absolutely hurts Geno more to bring up than it helps him. He’s definitely right alongside Dixie Kong and Bandanna Dee in that regard of being a fan favorite that people would expect. Geno is on the exact same tier of expectation with the only caveat being he sometimes gets less overall support from certain communities. Geno isnt really an unexpected character and recent appearances or the lack thereof doesn’t change that.

And I absolutely expect an announcement at E3 regarding Smash and one that is hype. I just have my doubts about that hype being the same hype parts of the community perceive things as. Any big third party franchise could fill that spot, especially if coupled with a new mode or something more substantial for the game’s future.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I'm honestly kinds surprised he didn't post that in the Ninten thread if his goal was to get under my skin.

Don't start a war though, it'd just make all of us look like jerks rather then, well, just the guy making himself look like a jerk.

I've been told that I've done quite a bit for the Ninten fans on here so him saying that is slightly infuriating but it's just one guy. I'm not gonna stop what I do just because he doesn't like me.
Don't worry about a thing my friend. When you produce content on the internet, you open up the floodgates of criticism. The post you saw on the last page was not being able to handle criticism, and I would be more than glad to continue the conversation through DMs if the individual accepts.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett

Honestly, "I just don't want X fans to get hurt" is probably one of the most condescending things you can say on the internet. Who the hell are you, my dad?
pls come back

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
When did I ever count Geno out? I just said there were other fan favorites that could fit the bill who aren’t currently out of the running via assist trophies. Geno and Banjo are not the only two big fan favorite left is what I was saying. Geno fits in with those other characters as a fan favorite, but he’s not the only reasonable second to a Banjo sort of thing which all stemmed from Zack saying he could only see Banjo and Geno being the two fan favorites.

As for assist trophies. I’m not saying they’ll magically be a thing in the Fighters Pass. I was just pointing out that there are lots of fan favorites still out there, and that assist trophies aren’t technically off the table yet (though incredibly unlikely I will admit). If assist trophies could come in, there’d be a whole lot more competition again.

Why go for the unexpected comment though? That absolutely hurts Geno more to bring up than it helps him. He’s definitely right alongside Dixie Kong and Bandanna Dee in that regard of being a fan favorite that people would expect. Geno is on the exact same tier of expectation with the only caveat being he sometimes gets less overall support from certain communities. Geno isnt really an unexpected character and recent appearances or the lack thereof doesn’t change that.

And I absolutely expect an announcement at E3 regarding Smash and one that is hype. I just have my doubts about that hype being the same hype parts of the community perceive things as. Any big third party franchise could fill that spot, especially if coupled with a new mode or something more substantial for the game’s future.
That's more a response to the combination of what you said and general attitude regarding Geno not being likely tbh. I am saying that there are no other big fan favorite characters that are as highly requested from polls and whatnot as Geno. Like I said the only other one that comes close not counting Banjo-Kazooie are Sora and maybe Shantae It'd also fit within what we know which is that there is another SE rep coming. I just don't see the point of playing devil's advocate for ATs when they've never been made playable within the same game.

I think it's funny that you're saying he's expected given the massive amount of people online who call him a literally who and point out he hasn't been in a game in decades and isn't owned by Nintendo as being cons for him. Those things alone would make him an "unexpected" choice for a lot of people especially when compared to Dixie and BD. I mean, I know you've been here to see all the people who have come in to talk down his chances over the past few months. Just because he's a popular choice doesn't mean a lot of people are realistically expecting him. His lack of appearances definitely affect that idk how you can even post that.

Right, but something being a third party franchise doesn't mean the character would be a fan favorite. And considering who exactly they put as last years announcement (Ridely) I find it hard to believe they wouldn't put in another actually requested fan favorite on that level.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Honestly, "I just don't want X fans to get hurt" is probably one of the most condescending things you can say on the internet. Who the hell are you, my dad?
pls come back
... Is my aspie ass missing something about this or is this as straightforward as I'm reading it (beyond that last bit)? I've said multiple times that I'd hate for Steve and Erdrick not to get in because of all of the stuff going for them, because as a Geno fan? Boy, have I been there. As a Shadow fan, it was even worse, being so certain he was a lock and then seeing him AT'ed away at the very end of the base game cycle. I don't particularly care for Blockman and Kid Gohan myself, but I know they have decent fans out there. I hope I've never come across as condescending whenever I've said this, because I do genuinely mean it, no hidden agendas or two-faced business about it. :c

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
... Is my aspie *** missing something about this or is this as straightforward as I'm reading it (beyond that last bit)? I've said multiple times that I'd hate for Steve and Erdrick not to get in because of all of the stuff going for them, because as a Geno fan? Boy, have I been there. As a Shadow fan, it was even worse, being so certain he was a lock and then seeing him AT'ed away at the very end of the base game cycle. I don't particularly care for Blockman and Kid Gohan myself, but I know they have decent fans out there. I hope I've never come across as condescending whenever I've said this, because I do genuinely mean it, no hidden agendas or two-faced business about it. :c
No, no, that's not what I'm referring to at all. I'm talking about when someone comes into a support thread/server and tries to keep everyone's expectations "in check" by ****-talking their favorite character's chances constantly. Believe me, we've had more than our fill of that in the Star Road Discord.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
No, no, that's not what I'm referring to at all. I'm talking about when someone comes into a support thread/server and tries to keep everyone's expectations "in check" by ****-talking their favorite character's chances constantly. Believe me, we've had more than our fill of that in the Star Road Discord.
Ohhhh, okay, okay, so I did totally misread that. Thank goodness, the last thing I want to do is come off as rude about people's most wanteds when that's the thing I'm feverishly against. Thanks so much for clarifying!

D

Deleted member

I'm sort of conflicted about this whole DQ stuff, I've probably made this clear a plethora of times but It's like a mixed bag of emotions.

On one hand I feel as if Erdrick isn't the Square rep it's totally Geno and if Geno gets in I won't ask Sakurai for anything ever again, If it's Geno then that's all I need. If it's Geno then we won! We got our boy! but I will admittedly feel bad for the Erdrick and DQ supporters.

The DQ Supporters are some of the nicest people I've met on this site so seeing them get completely BTFO'd if it's Geno instead will feel bittersweet. We won but at what cost? I don't want the DQ fans on this site to feel the complete despair I've felt for a week after the November Direct it was awful and that awful leak got my hopes way too high for my own good so I wouldn't want them to feel like they've won only to be shattered and demolished.

I would really feel bad about Erdrick not making it in but Personally if I got my most wanted it really would feel Bittersweet.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
That's more a response to the combination of what you said and general attitude regarding Geno not being likely tbh. I am saying that there are no other big fan favorite characters that are as highly requested from polls and whatnot as Geno. Like I said the only other one that comes close not counting Banjo-Kazooie are Sora and maybe Shantae It'd also fit within what we know which is that there is another SE rep coming. I just don't see the point of playing devil's advocate for ATs when they've never been made playable within the same game.

I think it's funny that you're saying he's expected given the massive amount of people online who call him a literally who and point out he hasn't been in a game in decades and isn't owned by Nintendo as being cons for him. Those things alone would make him an "unexpected" choice for a lot of people especially when compared to Dixie and BD. I mean, I know you've been here to see all the people who have come in to talk down his chances over the past few months. Just because he's a popular choice doesn't mean a lot of people are realistically expecting him. His lack of appearances definitely affect that idk how you can even post that.

Right, but something being a third party franchise doesn't mean the character would be a fan favorite. And considering who exactly they put as last years announcement (Ridely) I find it hard to believe they wouldn't put in another actually requested fan favorite on that level.
I think you're seriously downplaying Bandanna Dee in particular there. He's easily become a staple of Smash speculation during this cycle and is the same position as Geno with a Spirit. He also ranked pretty damn well on polls regarding Ultimate newcomers and consistently sits near the top of wanted characters. That said, we don't even know if we'll get a fan favorite newcomer. That's just the one theory going around, and I wanted to say Geno and Banjo aren't the only two remaining characters that fit the fan favorite moniker and don't have the AT hangup. And similarly, we don't know there is another SE rep coming? There's still no guarantee of that happening beyond the insiders and leakers stating that. Which in general, I don't pay a whole lot of attention to and I generally thought this thread had largely dumped them as well.

I'm also less playing devil's advocate for the ATs and pointing out that many fan favorites still exist. With our current age of DLC and direct contact that Nintendo and Sakurai have with fans, I do think the rule of no assist trophies in game is increasingly likely to be broken. I still don't see it as super likely for the Fighters Pass, but I wouldn't be surprised if that does happen at some point. It's been another fan rule that I just expect Sakurai to break at some point, and if he ever does, the flood gates are back open.

Did we live through the same hype cycle for Ultimate? Because basically all the Geno support that this thread is built on originated after E3 and Ridley. He was an incredibly likely pick for a lot of people when the impossible started happening. And after King K. Rool, we as a thread went into absolute overdrive. I remember that very well. For the period between King K. Rool's reveal on August 8th and final Smash Direct on November 1st, Geno was an extremely common prediction and discussion topic for those covering the game. His name came up constantly and helped I think genuinely breathe a lot of life back into this community. And hell, even in the wake of November 1st, he got a lot of discussion for not being an assist trophy and not directly revealed as a Spirit. He was most definitely an expected character for much of Ultimate's hype cycle.

The fact he's in the discussion at all, even if a bunch of people are screaming him down, means that he's less unexpected because he's in the conversation more actively for inclusion. Him ranking very highly on polls makes him a known entity and more predictable as an inclusion. The mythos built around him as the unlikely one-off character that has stayed in discussion makes him less unexpected. All of that means that he isn't "unexpected." His chances may be lower, but people wouldn't be surprised to see his inclusion at this point because his name is so far out in the community. Therefore, he's not unexpected.

And that's what I mean by his lack of appearances not impacting the "unexpected" label. To people not in the Smash community, he's unexpected, but so is basically every other character to be honest. Once you factor in the Smash community, the fact he was so actively predicted as a newcomer for Smash and the fact that conversations about him have not died down and people constantly push for him (or even against him, all press is good press sort of thing) makes his a more predictable inclusion. His lack of appearances have impacted how people perceive his specific chance to get in, but not really the amount of discussion or attention around him in the community. He's recognizable, and for a time was an extremely expected newcomer.

I also think Nintendo can make big moves and announcements that don't involve fan requests. I think there's a big community of people out there for a lot of big name third parties who will be very pleasantly surprised with a lot of different potential inclusions. Including characters or concepts that people don't even know they want until they see it. I would expect a decently large move at E3, I just don't know if it will be a fan favorite is really all I'm saying. It was easier to justify someone like Ridley while revealing the entire game. A big fan request for the community fits well there, but a character this year has to hold up that entire segment and generate all the hype. As much as I love Geno and know his place in the community, I don't know if he's the best fit for that venue sort of thing. If we're getting Banjo, I think he's the clear cut best idea for such a moment since there's a lot more riding on his inclusion than most characters. A bigger third party also I think fits there because E3 is usually the place where those big games and promotions are happening. Geno has always been a more intimate pick to me and has just always felt like the Nintendo Direct pick. But that's also just me if I'm being fair.

Sorry for the long ass post. I know I can come off a bit pessimistic to his chances, and well I am to some degree, but I really do still support him and think he has a shot. I just also think lots of other character picks I enjoy also have a shot for the Fighters Pass and I'm not keen on discounting any specific one. I also admit that while I love Super Mario RPG, Geno specifically maybe doesn't mean as much to me specifically as much as he's just a cool rep from the game that I also love for having the most unlikely community of Smash fans come to support. So I guess I'm a little less invested and that means my comments may come off a little harsher than I intend. So, if that's the case, I really do genuinely apologize for the irritation.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Sorry for the long *** post. I know I can come off a bit pessimistic to his chances, and well I am to some degree, but I really do still support him and think he has a shot. I just also think lots of other character picks I enjoy also have a shot for the Fighters Pass and I'm not keen on discounting any specific one. I also admit that while I love Super Mario RPG, Geno specifically maybe doesn't mean as much to me specifically as much as he's just a cool rep from the game that I also love for having the most unlikely community of Smash fans come to support. So I guess I'm a little less invested and that means my comments may come off a little harsher than I intend. So, if that's the case, I really do genuinely apologize for the irritation.
No, if anything, I think it's a refreshing take to see in the thread, and I honestly share a lot of your pessimism. That being said, I'll never give up on my boy, and it's nice to see you and a lot of other people haven't either. If he doesn't get in, we've gotta rally to get him and Mallow back in the main series in some way. Nintendo and Square can make some big bank by making them DLC characters in future spin-offs and stars of future games.

I'm sort of conflicted about this whole DQ stuff, I've probably made this clear a plethora of times but It's like a mixed bag of emotions.

On one hand I feel as if Erdrick isn't the Square rep it's totally Geno and if Geno gets in I won't ask Sakurai for anything ever again, If it's Geno then that's all I need. If it's Geno then we won! We got our boy! but I will admittedly feel bad for the Erdrick and DQ supporters.

The DQ Supporters are some of the nicest people I've met on this site so seeing them get completely BTFO'd if it's Geno instead will feel bittersweet. We won but at what cost? I don't want the DQ fans on this site to feel the complete despair I've felt for a week after the November Direct it was awful and that awful leak got my hopes way too high for my own good so I wouldn't want them to feel like they've won only to be shattered and demolished.

I would really feel bad about Erdrick not making it in but Personally if I got my most wanted it really would feel Bittersweet.
Honestly, in a perfect world, we'd get both of them. After all of this, I'd be irritated if we somehow got Geno, but there was no hide or hair of DQ anywhere. A lot of Erdrick fans have super high hopes and refer to him as their pipe dream, much like we are with Geno. That kind of soul-crushing defeat is freaking awful and I do NOT want to see anyone go through it. Period.

D

Deleted member

One thing about the final boss on SMRPG was that there wasn't really a point that it seemed like all hope was lost, where Mario, Mallow, and Geno (or Peach and Bowser if you usually fight Smithy with them) were up against a wall...

If SMRPG is remade, maybe they could add a lot more climax to the Smithy fight

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Sorry for the long *** post. I know I can come off a bit pessimistic to his chances, and well I am to some degree, but I really do still support him and think he has a shot. I just also think lots of other character picks I enjoy also have a shot for the Fighters Pass and I'm not keen on discounting any specific one. I also admit that while I love Super Mario RPG, Geno specifically maybe doesn't mean as much to me specifically as much as he's just a cool rep from the game that I also love for having the most unlikely community of Smash fans come to support. So I guess I'm a little less invested and that means my comments may come off a little harsher than I intend. So, if that's the case, I really do genuinely apologize for the irritation.
I enjoyed reading your post, don't worry about it.

I also believe Geno has a shot, and to be honest, I think any video game character who hasn't been deconfirmed has a shot. Obviously some characters are more likely than others, but after being involved in Smash speculation for so long, I've realized something. I've gone into countless support threads because there are a lot of characters I'd love to see added, and what I've noticed is that many users in these threads compile information that works in their character's favor. Let me give some examples:
  • Geno - Got Sakurai's seal of approval, Sakurai already got the rights for Geno and SMRPG, etc.
  • Banjo/Kazooie - Microsoft and Nintendo's newfound friendship is the perfect opportunity to bring these characters back to their Nintendo pals
  • Bandana Waddle Dee - Big role in Star Allies, which is still being supported through DLC
  • Ninten/Porky - Mother's 30th Anniversary is this year, coinciding with Ultimate's DLC season
As you can see, people find plenty of reasons why their favorite characters have a shot of joining the roster. But obviously, all of these characters can't join the roster if we are indeed limited to one Fighter's Pass, no matter how much is in their favor. Part of this is the reason why I don't believe leaks and constantly preach that "anything can happen". While insiders and leakers can share their information on who is DLC, there are also these other factors I feel like people should consider and that is the many merits some characters have that can boost their chances of joining the roster. I feel like for a lot of people, even if they don't believe, leaks have this odd sense of credibility that can often dampen people's optimism even though nothing has been officially confirmed. I hope that by making this post, people in here realize that you shouldn't let leaks make you pessimistic, because you have to remember everything your character has going for them, what makes them special and a great addition to the roster. People are free to believe whatever mumbo-jumbo leaks are all the rage, but always try to center yourself and understand that nothing is official until Nintendo says so.

Geno still has a chance guys. Even though things have looked grim over the past few months, you just gotta believe that chance is still there because realistically, it is. We spend so much time looking at everything realistically and trying to understand situations from a business perspective that we lose focus of what we're really here for, and that's to have fun speculating about our favorite characters becoming Smash fighters. Look at those bullet points above again, the various factors that support a character's inclusion. Doesn't that make you believe anything can happen?

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I'm just gonna be blunt: I've yet to meet the mythical nice Erdrick supporter. They've all been ****ing ***** to me.
Dude, there are several on this board who have expressed positive support for other characters including Geno. Like most SmashBoards related stuff, people are pretty chill and generally supportive of one another. You've also been easily the most anti-Erdrick and Dragon Quest person I've seen around here, so I'm not necessarily surprised that your interactions have been less than stellar for how you've handled those situations.

We don't need the Geno vs Erdrick feuding ignited again. We can talk about their chances and reason for included, but that's easily been one of the more frustrating aspects of the community as a fan of both I've seen in the past couple months. Let's not stir things back up and leave it alone.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Dude, there are several on this board who have expressed positive support for other characters including Geno. Like most SmashBoards related stuff, people are pretty chill and generally supportive of one another. You've also been easily the most anti-Erdrick and Dragon Quest person I've seen around here, so I'm not necessarily surprised that your interactions have been less than stellar for how you've handled those situations.

We don't need the Geno vs Erdrick feuding ignited again. We can talk about their chances and reason for included, but that's easily been one of the more frustrating aspects of the community as a fan of both I've seen in the past couple months. Let's not stir things back up and leave it alone.
Yeah, frankly, they're the outlier of Geno fans on this site. Most of them are incredibly sweet and chill people. This one's been practically disowned by a chunk of the thread by now lmao.

Don't be a **** unless you're willing to accept people being rude to you right back. If you're going to crap all over Erdrick's supporters (some of which POST HERE and are ALSO GENO SUPPORTERS), you deserve what'll be flung at you.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
The worst kind of outcome is that neither party wins. And you guys and the Eddy fans can hug in support in such a case scenario.
Is it the worst outcome if we get Crono instead? Just sayin'...
I'm just gonna be blunt: I've yet to meet the mythical nice Erdrick supporter. They've all been ****ing ***** to me.
I wonder why that is?

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Is it the worst outcome of we get Crono instead? Just sayin'...
No way, that'd be sick. Crono would be freaking awesome in Smash. We get an old and beloved fan favorite, we get a character that is designed by Toriyama, and god, everyone wins.

Worst outcome is no Square rep at all, which I'm not discarding yet. Verge and Hitagi were the ones to start spreading this, after all, and their credibility is iffy. The chance is still there that SE isn't getting in on the DLC at all.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
No way, that'd be sick. Crono would be freaking awesome in Smash. We get an old and beloved fan favorite, we get a character that is designed by Toriyama, and god, everyone wins.

Worst outcome is no Square rep at all, which I'm not discarding yet. Verge and Hitagi were the ones to start spreading this, after all, and their credibility is iffy. The chance is still there that SE isn't getting in on the DLC at all.
I'm willing to bet cash that Square Enix gets a rep. It's too big a rumor to fail now.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I'm willing to bet cash that Square Enix gets a rep. It's too big a rumor to fail now.
Yeah, I mean, I'm pretty darn sure we're getting at least one Square rep (no more than two, only two if we're lucky + there's more DLC beyond Fighter's Pass). The chances are there that we won't, but they're mighty low.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I want to frame it this way; see if this will get where I'm coming from through to you.

It's like if the movie you spent 5 years animating lost to somthing Illumination Pictures threw together in six months. The people who wanted Erdrick only started sprouting up recently, while the Geno fans have been outspoken for years. That would feel like a slap in the face, to me.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Yeah me neither. Hell, even if they did, most Rare employees from back in the day probably quit.

Still, just imagine what Nintendo could do with that IP...
Nintendo actually would've done something with it and a much better job than Microsoft. Same with Super Mario RPG, if Square was nice enough to give it to Nintendo, it would've went straight to AlphaDream to develop and they would've put it to great use. If all the rights to both Banjo-Kazooie and SMRPG were given to Nintendo during the late '90s or early 2000s, we probably would've seen Banjo and Geno as early as Brawl.

Nintendo loves it when third-party franchises get the spotlight on their consoles, so no doubt that Banjo-Kazooie would be put to great use by Nintendo; Yoshiaki Koizumi probably would've taken care of Banjo-Kazooie, and he definitely would make it as amazing as Super Mario 64, Sunshine, Galaxy, and Odyssey.
I love that you referred to Russian Roulette as a Battle Royale.
Thank you.
I'm right there with you as far as the November smash direct goes. All due respect to you piranha plant fans out there, I literally howled in agony when I saw it. That, coupled with Ken and Incineroar (sorry, guys, I was rooting for Decidueye), it was like a one-two punch to the nuts for me. I seriously didn't get ANY of the characters I'd hoped for: Knuckles, Shadow, Isaac, Geno and Scizor. Not saying that I don't appreciate what I get, cuz it isn't my game and all, but I definitely see the disappointment. It's just heartbreaking to hear stories like yours where it kills your enthusiasm for a game we want to love so much. That's why I try to keep my expectations so low. If you're at rock bottom, then there's nowhere to go but up.
Scizor is my favorite Pokémon!

When echo fighters were announced, all I could think of was Shadow... I was very surprised to not see him as an echo fighter, like, absolutely surprised.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I want to frame it this way; see if this will get where I'm coming from through to you.

It's like if the movie you spent 5 years animating lost to somthing Illumination Pictures threw together in six months. The people who wanted Erdrick only started sprouting up recently, while the Geno fans have been outspoken for years. That would feel like a slap in the face, to me.
You don't get to decide what's right or wrong. Joker fans also started campaigning after Geno's, so did Bandana Dee's, and other characters as well, yet you only complain about Erdrick. Let me flip that. Erdrick debuted before Geno, so he has been around for longer, has more history, and therefore deserves to be in more than Geno. Does that make sense to you? Why is the length of a fan campaign the be-all end-all? I for one have wanted Geno in since the Brawl days, and I can wait longer. I'm sure I'm not the only one either. So don't make this about Geno fans, when it's actually about yourself.

By the way, Despicable Me is a better movie than The Good Dinosaur, despite how much it pains me to admit it.

Last edited:

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
*everyone expects Geno, Sora, Crono, or Erdrick*
*we get Black Mage*
*I cry tears of joy, everyone else says WHAT*
That, my friends, would be hilarious.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

I really shouldn't be replying at this point... but I can't just let you frame this situation like that. You've supported a character for five years. Great. That's awesome you've stuck around so long and kept on supporting a character you love. People should absolutely do that and be supported when they do that.

But with all due respect, so what? Many people have stood behind many characters before. And they will continue to do so. Seniority in support I don't see as inherently any more or less deserving of a character choice.

Meanwhile, you deny Erdrick supporters everything. I know you won't be convinced by the Dragon Quest legacy (Which is factual at this point), but think of people who never considered DQ much of a possibility or didn't know they wanted him til the possibility came up. People could have easily supported him from afar for years, or just learned that they really like the character and the series and want to see its inclusion in Smash. We do the same thing all the time by taking in new Geno supporters. Bandwagoning isn't an issue when people join for legitimate reasons and not just to be right in the matter at hand. It's actually positive growth for a fan community generally speaking and has brought us several new members as we promote awareness about Geno.

It's not a character's whose support is any worse or better than ours or more deserving or less, it's just a different character with different support. And they have their own merits for getting in. DQ wouldn't be getting in because some Smash fans took to the idea a couple months before the game launched, it would be included for completely different reasons. It's not some Geno vs. Erdrick fight of fandom and never has been. Stop trying to frame it as such.

And additionally, yeah, if a new character gains a ton of support, I have no problem in them getting over an older request. There's so many circumstances surrounding a character that it's basically impossible to look at them in a vacuum anyway...

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
*everyone expects Geno, Sora, Crono, or Erdrick*
*we get Black Mage*
*I cry tears of joy, everyone else says WHAT*
That, my friends, would be hilarious.
I am one of the few that supports Black Mage as a Square DLC character, in fact, I like him more than Cloud and think Black Mage represents more of FF. When you see Cloud, it looks like he can come from any game; when you see one of the Black Mages, all you can think of is magic and fantasy, due to their warlock/wizard appearance. Black Mage is still video game history to this day. If we are to get another FF character, I'm hoping it's Black Mage.

I think Black Mage from Final Fantasy (NES) should be the one used for Smash; they'd also be a retro character that represents the NES.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
Yeah, it's possible to not support a character until more recent times and for it to be legit or genuine. There was a time I would have scoffed at Sans ever making it into Smash, but after actually playing Undertale myself on Switch (and loving it) and seeing how Deltarune became a thing (meaning Undertale is actually a series now and is also relevant) and also put on Switch (showing the Toby is all aboard with Nintendo and the Switch), I actually love the idea of Sans being in Smash now, and not just for memes or whatever.

It's similar with Master Chief. There was a time where I figured he was never a contender and thus never really bothered to hype myself for the possibility, despite being a fan of the series. then characters like Cloud and Joker got put into Smash, and then Microsoft started to get chummy with Nintendo and I was like " well ****, Master Chief might not be that unheard of at all." And the more I thought about it the more I started to love the idea of someone like Chief making it into Smash.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if many DQ fans had similar reactions, where they never really bothered to hype up any DQ character because they just didn't think it was going to happen, then rumors and "leaks" started to arise, as well as the "brave" codename, probably resulting in DQ fans to think "wait, could this series I love actually have a chance for Smash bros?"

D

Deleted member

There's plenty and there is plenty on these boards. The reason why some people were an asshole to you is because you kind of had it coming.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Please don't reply flame-bait posts. Just report it and move on.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
If Erdrick make it in , I simply ask 2 things from him :

-Bring more good DQ games to the switch (a Monster Joker 3 localization would be stinkin' awesome)

-Not be obviously over-powered like Cloud was. Cloud didn't break Sm4sh , but it was obvious that his weakness meant almost nothing.

But honestly , I simply don't care for the guy. If he make it in , good for his fans , if he don't , well there's next time if his fans still want him.

I simply don't want any other Square rep than Geno , or Mallow. Maybe Tiz , but Bravely Default/Second is finished , no new games.

The Erdrick supporters are completely fine , my issue are the people in speculation who think he's a lock or "lol Geno dead because Erdrick". They kind of kill speculation , it became boring .

Thanks to guys like this , if you ever dare mention the possibility of a character getting in even tho leaks don't support him , you'll be seen as a complete dumbass.

There , that's my issue with Erdrick.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Don't mind me, just wanted to share a couple of Geno-related pieces (once again I don't know how to embed tweets):

https://twitter.com/BridgeOfFaust/status/1111713371055890433

https://twitter.com/TwilightYonder/status/1111892906766422016
To embed Tweets, you go to Insert (the three dots next to the smiley face) and click on Media.

Alternatively, you put square brackets around "MEDIA=twitter" (no quotation marks), copy and paste the Tweet ID, and put [/MEDIA] afterwards.

For example,
Code:
[MEDIA=twitter]1112037224282050565[/MEDIA]
becomes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom