• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firox

Smash Master
Every single mook is unique in their own way. They're all generic enemies in Pokemon by design too. All can technically be found in the wild or are designed to be. If it weren't for the anime, they wouldn't even have a preset personality.

This is incorrect. They are still random enemies in the game, just recruitable ones. They're all mooks. There's more than one kind of mook.

Wii Fit Trainer, R.O.B., Duck Hunt, and Piranha Plant are all surprise characters. They're literally the same role. None of them are specifically protagonists, nor specific antagonists in the same way. They actually don't represent what you're saying cause that's not at all why they were added. Duck Hunt in itself was recognizable, but almost nobody saw it coming. Wii Fit had tons of sales, but nobody expected that kind of character. R.O.B. was never thought of someone who would ever be added cause they were just a toy. Reality is, he wanted PP because it wasn't an ordinary protagonist, but just a unique character with tons of potential and flair. That's actually how it got in. He doesn't care about "must be protagonist" stuff either. Just like he doesn't treat anyone like some generic character either, even when they are(which again, describes all the Pokemon. They're definitely generic as the race acts just as normal. Even more funny is that Pokemon Trainer is intentionally generic and represents the class more than anyone. There's no strict identity. You can barely tie PIkachu to the anime at one point, but not anymore as it has alternate female costumes just to show it's a recognizable generic race. That's the point of it. They clearly didn't care that the anime Pikachu of note was male either. It was a coincidence that Smash used the male design at best).

Piranha Plant absolutely represents the important of Mario having more than characters with major story importance. Being a simple enemy is extremely important to the franchise as a whole. Considering people took Queen Bee as a horrible addition, yet loved the addition of Koopa Troopa in comparison, it should tell you that being a "mook" is not a badge of crap, but actually something extremely important to each game. It's just a character role they play, and it's still always important to have that kind of role. What, is the protagonist not going to fight something or be challenged by anything? Mooks are highly important role. And in the case of Pokemon, many of the Pokemon are challenging mooks to fight against while also facing mook trainers too. It's just two different set of mooks.

Pfft, Roy wasn't an All-Star at that point. He literally got introduced in Smash. Hell, calling Corrin one is silly at that point. Definitely, definitely not. So I don't see the issue at all. PP isn't a spin-off character, obviously. He was introduced in the mainline series. I was saying Geno is a spin-off character, and so is Dr. Mario, to be clear.

Well, it actually helps characters you wouldn't expect, like Geno, since being major all-stars isn't obviously something that has to matter. And as much as I like Geno, he doesn't have all-star power due to the lack of game presence. Not dissing him, either, of course. I love the guy. But he isn't recognizable like some of the roster is. In fact, a lot of the characters in Smash barely could qualify as All-Stars. You'll find Ganon is far more recognizable than Ganondorf too.

Tetris Piece is actually not a troll pick. People actually love Tetris, and want that represented. PP is an actual character. He's a character who plays a role in the game, being one of many challenges for Mario to overcome. That's still a character. I honestly would've kept Pichu over Scizor too, if it matters. I honestly felt like Pichu deserves its spot due to being the mascot for the babies, and awesome character among the movies, and also effectively Gen II's mascot. The fact it's also a clone, making it easy to get in, is coincidental. Most of those, except Waluigi and Isaac, legitimately speaking, are ones who I would've liked to see in. Though I'd like to see Ganon. But as I said, all you listed was various characters that didn't get in, when another character got in as a free DLC bonus. I can't honestly say there's a real difference between 'em. They're all unique characters who have interesting roles in their specific games, with some being a generic race with little characterization. I don't differentiate among 'em cause I see no reason to. It's silly to act like any character is a bad idea alone. I just don't see how they can be. I can see how you can fix up how they're represented due to things like "too much violence", "change in aesthetics", "game balance", but their role in the game as a character doesn't honestly feel like it should matter as long as they have a role to begin with. And PP has a role in tons of Mario games. So, it's just a character. Just like the rest of what you mentioned.

What are you talking about on the ballot? At least 4(if not more) were chosen for base roster. Only two DLC characters are revealed, and they weren't ballot picks. They didn't throw it out. Also, the only troll picks are things that are barely qualified as characters, like the Pepe meme. Even Shrek isn't a troll pick. Some legitimately want him to be playable. You're using the term "troll" too often without understanding what it means. It means intentionally to piss off others. Reality is, none of your examples count as that. Besides, Super Smash Flash 2 made Sandbag playable because it's a unique joke character(and was an actual programmed character in Melee to begin with). Who cares

PP doesn't have a gender, to note. Just like all the other race-based characters except Yoshi. Also, Steve is the opposite of garbage. He's a high-profile gaming icon that frankly has earned his way into Smash since Smash 4 alone. It's fine not having interest in playing, but mindlessly bashing characters only further makes your point worse.
Your opinions are polar opposite of mine, so we'll just have to accept that, but a couple of funny sticking points:

You said "You're using the term "troll" too often without understanding what it means." Firstly, I used the term ONCE. Too much for ya? Guess so. Secondly, I know exactly what it means. What you don't understand is that one man's "troll" is another man's "champion". You love PP, I personally see it as a kick to the face for anyone who hoped for more than a generic Mario badguy. I'm sure if goomba had been picked instead, you'd be singing praises to him too. Regardless, you lost all credibility when you honestly said that Tetris should be in the game. Seriously? Did you forget that this is a fighting game we're talking about? I was being totally facetious when I even mentioned it. How could you even incorporate a geometric block into the game?! It doesn't even have limbs for goodness sake.

Again, love and praise whatever you want. Buy what you want. I'm only planning to buy what interests me and that doesn't happen to be minecraft steve. Sorry, it's just not.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
She had to have beena baby at some point though.

As for how she was dressed. I dunno, maybe adult Rosalina decided to dress up baby Rosalina like herself to be cute.
... That makes baby Rosalina at least that little bit easier to swallow. I accept this headcanon.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Your opinions are polar opposite of mine, so we'll just have to accept that, but a couple of funny sticking points:
It'd probably help if you weren't bashing characters left and right, to be fair. That doesn't really help your points at all.

You said "You're using the term "troll" too often without understanding what it means." Firstly, I used the term ONCE. Too much for ya? Guess so. Secondly, I know exactly what it means. What you don't understand is that one man's "troll" is another man's "champion". You love PP, I personally see it as a kick to the face for anyone who hoped for more than a generic Mario badguy. I'm sure if goomba had been picked instead, you'd be singing praises to him too. Regardless, you lost all credibility when you honestly said that Tetris should be in the game. Seriously? Did you forget that this is a fighting game we're talking about? I was being totally facetious when I even mentioned it. How could you even incorporate a geometric block into the game?! It doesn't even have limbs for goodness sake.
You used it once too many in a bad manner. So yes, it was too much. Tetris is an iconic thing. Why wouldn't I want it playable? I could care less how it was done. It could be a weird janky characters for all that matters. Still a potential character in a game. You don't technically need limbs. You just need a feasible way to hold things. There's always ways to do things. Why can't it telekinetically do things? In fact, that makes a lot of sense. Let's not forget that Tetris slowly floats down with each block. It can easily move slowly and justify floating objects or using telekinetic pushes. So if you wonder how? I think making it psychic-based would fit the movements extremely well while being fun and interesting.

Any character can absolutely be made playable. It's fine to disagree, of course. But saying "it's not possible" is kind of pointless. Yes, yes it is.

Again, love and praise whatever you want. Buy what you want. I'm only planning to buy what interests me and that doesn't happen to be minecraft steve. Sorry, it's just not.
Calling him garbage and bashing him was the issue. Not wanting to play as someone who doesn't interest you is fine.

Firox

Smash Master
It'd probably help if you weren't bashing characters left and right, to be fair. That doesn't really help your points at all.

You used it once too many in a bad manner. So yes, it was too much. Tetris is an iconic thing. Why wouldn't I want it playable? I could care less how it was done. It could be a weird janky characters for all that matters. Still a potential character in a game. You don't technically need limbs. You just need a feasible way to hold things. There's always ways to do things. Why can't it telekinetically do things? In fact, that makes a lot of sense. Let's not forget that Tetris slowly floats down with each block. It can easily move slowly and justify floating objects or using telekinetic pushes. So if you wonder how? I think making it psychic-based would fit the movements extremely well while being fun and interesting.

Any character can absolutely be made playable. It's fine to disagree, of course. But saying "it's not possible" is kind of pointless. Yes, yes it is.

Calling him garbage and bashing him was the issue. Not wanting to play as someone who doesn't interest you is fine.
I'm free to bash as much as you can blindly praise. Your opinion is no more valid than mine. You don't have to like it any more than I like yours. As far as my use of "troll", you need to get over yourself. "Once too many times in a bad manner"? Sure, Dad. This coming from the ppl that brought you gems like "You don't technically need limbs" in a fighting game! Oh yeah, we could totally make a fighting game of potatoes bumping into each other or using their telekinetic powers. lmao For the record, I never said something like tetris COULDN'T be in the game. It was more of question of SHOULD it be in the game. Again, this is simply a difference of opinion. One that neither of us is going to apparently convince the other of.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Now I want a fighting game with telekinetic potatoes...
You could give Ermac a potato alt. They were able to mod Smash Ultimate. So I bet they could mod Mortal Kombat 11.

Also, M.U.G.E.N. There's a ton of unique and interesting playstyles. And lots of clones too, heh.

D

Deleted member

Every single mook is unique in their own way. They're all generic enemies in Pokemon by design too. All can technically be found in the wild or are designed to be. If it weren't for the anime, they wouldn't even have a preset personality.
I'm not saying mooks don't have a unique look to them but I'd argue that designing Pokemon takes a lot more time and effort than PP did. And a lot of thought was put into a Pokemon and how they are related to the Pokeverse with Pokedex entries and such. Not much can be said for Piranha Plant.

This is incorrect. They are still random enemies in the game, just recruitable ones. They're all mooks. There's more than one kind of mook.
So by this logic Mewtwo is a mook because he's a recruitable enemy? C'mon. Go back and read my post about the Grunts. Those guys I would consider as the mooks and not any Pokemon despite the fact you can recruit them or defeat them to farm and grind exp. The grunts are generic bad guys you can beat that are under the influence of the main antagonist. Also, the fact you can recruit them should dismiss the idea of them being mooks imo because now those Pokemon are officially playable characters and part of your main party so it kind of feels like you're proving my point about Pokemon not being mooks.

Wii Fit Trainer, R.O.B., Duck Hunt, and Piranha Plant are all surprise characters. They're literally the same role.
Yes they're surprise characters but for all sorts of different reasons. They don't all fall under the same category just because they literally made people go "wtf".

None of them are specifically protagonists, nor specific antagonists in the same way. They actually don't represent what you're saying cause that's not at all why they were added. Duck Hunt in itself was recognizable, but almost nobody saw it coming. Wii Fit had tons of sales, but nobody expected that kind of character. R.O.B. was never thought of someone who would ever be added cause they were just a toy. Reality is, he wanted PP because it wasn't an ordinary protagonist, but just a unique character with tons of potential and flair. That's actually how it got in. He doesn't care about "must be protagonist" stuff either. Just like he doesn't treat anyone like some generic character either, even when they are(which again, describes all the Pokemon. They're definitely generic as the race acts just as normal. Even more funny is that Pokemon Trainer is intentionally generic and represents the class more than anyone. There's no strict identity. You can barely tie PIkachu to the anime at one point, but not anymore as it has alternate female costumes just to show it's a recognizable generic race. That's the point of it. They clearly didn't care that the anime Pikachu of note was male either. It was a coincidence that Smash used the male design at best).
I never expressed why WFT, ROB or DH were added. I expressed how they are unique to Nintendo's history and they're respective franchises. I'm not gonna get too deep into the detail of each one because frankly it's irrelevant. I'm not arguing that generic race of PP is the issue, I'm arguing that his role is the issue. The difference between those 3 and PP is that those 3 have a unique role in their franchises and Piranha Plant is just an enemy. That's it. Just a regular enemy you can kill off the screen with a fireball. Now I'm not in the camp of "just protagonists" or "just main characters" because I think that's silly and it would contradict how I feel about adding in guys like Luigi, Falco or Ken for example. I like those guys and they deserve a spot because they all have a unique roles to their franchises.

And in regards to Pokemon Trainer(s), you're really gonna call them generic? Are you forgetting that the PT's are the main protagonists of every mainline game and play a huge role to the stories? Yeah, they represent a class and their identities can be changed to you're liking because they are customizable now to your liking. They are essentially you playing vicariously through the role as the Pokemon Trainer conquering the bad guys and becoming a Pokemon master. I think that's a bit of an unfair assessment.

Piranha Plant absolutely represents the important of Mario having more than characters with major story importance. Being a simple enemy is extremely important to the franchise as a whole. Considering people took Queen Bee as a horrible addition, yet loved the addition of Koopa Troopa in comparison, it should tell you that being a "mook" is not a badge of crap, but actually something extremely important to each game. It's just a character role they play, and it's still always important to have that kind of role. What, is the protagonist not going to fight something or be challenged by anything? Mooks are highly important role. And in the case of Pokemon, many of the Pokemon are challenging mooks to fight against while also facing mook trainers too. It's just two different set of mooks.
No, mooks don't have an important role. Goombas don't have an important role. Bokoblins don't have an important role. RPG skeletons, Goblins, Zombies, Trolls, Demons, Mercenaries, Cultists, Klaptraps, Waddle Doo's, Heartless, Draugers, Creepers, Murlocs, Necromorphs, etc. etc. are easily recognizable characters to the series that they're from but recognizable =/= importance. Same applies to PP. They're generic enemies. Stock monsters essentially.

Also, who's queen bee? I don't play mario kart/party/tennis or whatever game you're insinuating but it's not a good example to use when comparing it to Smash Bros.. They're two completely different animals in this case and Smash is arguably the alpha of party games. If you wanna consider Pokemon mooks though, go for it. I don't think so because like I said before, the mooks of the Pokemon franchise are the Grunts from whatever villainous team they associate with.

Pfft, Roy wasn't an All-Star at that point. He literally got introduced in Smash. Hell, calling Corrin one is silly at that point. Definitely, definitely not. So I don't see the issue at all. PP isn't a spin-off character, obviously. He was introduced in the mainline series. I was saying Geno is a spin-off character, and so is Dr. Mario, to be clear.
Roy may not be an "all-star" but that term also is totally subjective. At least he had a big role in the game he debuted in and was the MC of that game. I think that's enough of a reason to give him an all-star status when you take that and his fan demand for his return into consideration also. PP is not an all-star. He's a generic enemy and a stock monster. I'd put money on more people considering Roy and all-star than PP.

Well, it actually helps characters you wouldn't expect, like Geno, since being major all-stars isn't obviously something that has to matter. And as much as I like Geno, he doesn't have all-star power due to the lack of game presence. Not dissing him, either, of course. I love the guy. But he isn't recognizable like some of the roster is. In fact, a lot of the characters in Smash barely could qualify as All-Stars. You'll find Ganon is far more recognizable than Ganondorf too.
Again, it's subjective but I think it's a fair argument to make that Ganon and Geno have a bit more of an "all-star" trait given the roles they had in there games.

Tetris Piece is actually not a troll pick. People actually love Tetris, and want that represented. PP is an actual character. He's a character who plays a role in the game, being one of many challenges for Mario to overcome. That's still a character.
He's a generic character. A stock monster. He has no importance to any mainline Mario game he has appeared in. Him existing holds no significance to the story or the lore to the Mario universe. "That's still a character" is a silly excuse to defend his inclusion.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm not saying mooks don't have a unique look to them but I'd argue that designing Pokemon takes a lot more time and effort than PP did. And a lot of thought was put into a Pokemon and how they are related to the Pokeverse with Pokedex entries and such. Not much can be said for Piranha Plant.
Other than the Dex entries, they look honestly like the same general amount of work.

So by this logic Mewtwo is a mook because he's a recruitable enemy? C'mon. Go back and read my post about the Grunts. Those guys I would consider as the mooks and not any Pokemon despite the fact you can recruit them or defeat them to farm and grind exp. The grunts are generic bad guys you can beat that are under the influence of the main antagonist. Also, the fact you can recruit them should dismiss the idea of them being mooks imo because now those Pokemon are officially playable characters and part of your main party so it kind of feels like you're proving my point about Pokemon not being mooks.
In the games? Yes, that's what Mewtwo is. In the movies he's a true one-off. Even then, he'd be the only one you could argue isn't a Mook, but the rest? Total mooks by design. They're all possible to theoretically show up as a random monster within the game's settings. Those some require codes. But they're literally among the "can show up in the game's random areas" in the bytes. Mewtwo is literally the same as all the general Pokemon races. He's hardly characterized in those games, so he's no different from the random Pikachu you can find. The only ones with any remote character at best is the Pikachu in Yellow. Rest? I wouldn't say they're anything special.

Yes they're surprise characters but for all sorts of different reasons. They don't all fall under the same category just because they literally made people go "wtf".
Actually, they do. Because that's literally the category they were put in by Sakurai. They serve the same role. Surprise character.

I never expressed why WFT, ROB or DH were added. I expressed how they are unique to Nintendo's history and they're respective franchises. I'm not gonna get too deep into the detail of each one because frankly it's irrelevant. I'm not arguing that generic race of PP is the issue, I'm arguing that his role is the issue. The difference between those 3 and PP is that those 3 have a unique role in their franchises and Piranha Plant is just an enemy. That's it. Just a regular enemy you can kill off the screen with a fireball. Now I'm not in the camp of "just protagonists" or "just main characters" because I think that's silly and it would contradict how I feel about adding in guys like Luigi, Falco or Ken for example. I like those guys and they deserve a spot because they all have a unique roles to their franchises.
The role was why PP was actually why it was chosen. He wanted a recurring enemy who constantly exists as a challenge to the player. PP is pretty much another antagonist as well, not unlike Wolf, actually. It's the same general role to begin with. But in the end, all 4 of them are surprise characters. That's their "Role in Smash".

And in regards to Pokemon Trainer(s), you're really gonna call them generic? Are you forgetting that the PT's are the main protagonists of every mainline game and play a huge role to the stories? Yeah, they represent a class and their identities can be changed to you're liking because they are customizable now to your liking. They are essentially you playing vicariously through the role as the Pokemon Trainer conquering the bad guys and becoming a Pokemon master. I think that's a bit of an unfair assessment.
In Smash? Yes. It's a Generic Pokemon Trainer entirely. The dialogue is nothing but in-game dialogue that all trainers do. It's a generic representation of the class. And that's fine. That's the purpose of the character controlling Charizard, Ivysaur, and Squirtle. Those 3 are a lot more defined in comparison, like having actual names.

No, mooks don't have an important role. Goombas don't have an important role. Bokoblins don't have an important role. RPG skeletons, Goblins, Zombies, Trolls, Demons, Mercenaries, Cultists, Klaptraps, Waddle Doo's, Heartless, Draugers, Creepers, Murlocs, Necromorphs, etc. etc. are easily recognizable characters to the series that they're from but recognizable =/= importance. Same applies to PP. They're generic enemies. Stock monsters essentially.
...That's a hugely important role in the story, dude. Antagonists matter. What on earth are you talking about? That's a key role that helps the story go along. You have to have actual characters for the protagonists to be challenged by for any kind of action story. Or story in general to make it interesting. It's absolutely important in order to make it work. They're extremely important to how the game works. Unless you want to play Mario with absolutely zero enemies. Cause that's what it'd be like without a major role like that. You could argue some games don't care about going through enemies. In that case, the enemies aren't really an important role. But in Mario? Definitely is important. You don't have much of a platformer without a challenging monster to figure out how to defeat/avoid. That's a very important part of the game, facing the challenge. Downplaying important aspects of how a game works pretty much ruins why the games even work.

Also, who's queen bee? I don't play mario kart/party/tennis or whatever game you're insinuating but it's not a good example to use when comparing it to Smash Bros.. They're two completely different animals in this case and Smash is arguably the alpha of party games. If you wanna consider Pokemon mooks though, go for it. I don't think so because like I said before, the mooks of the Pokemon franchise are the Grunts from whatever villainous team they associate with.
Mooks are any general enemy that challenges you. That includes the Pokemon. They're just recruitable mooks. You know the recruitable mook thing didn't even originate in Pokemon. It's actually from earlier games where it was a normal feature. Pokemon just capitalized off of it. So yes, they share the same role, a challenge to overcome or recruit.

Roy may not be an "all-star" but that term also is totally subjective. At least he had a big role in the game he debuted in and was the MC of that game. I think that's enough of a reason to give him an all-star status when you take that and his fan demand for his return into consideration also. PP is not an all-star. He's a generic enemy and a stock monster. I'd put money on more people considering Roy and all-star than PP.
No. He debuted in Melee. He didn't have a big role until his game actually came out. And All-Star isn't really subjective. They're highly recognizable characters to begin with. People know who they are. PP is way more known than Roy, and more of an All-Star than he ever was, honestly. But that's due to exposure. Of course people will know who a notable mook is compared to an unknown character. Being the protagonist of a game will not make you an All-Star. Most of the FE cast can barely say that originally. Marth was the only one who really hit that status, and it wasn't exactly worldwide. PP definitely hit that status, as did a lot of the general enemies. The biggest and hottest characters is pretty much all you need to get the All-Star role. Queen Bee was not one of them, where Waluigi was. And the All-Star was cut out of MK7 for a character that wasn't even that well known either. Which can't even be said of PP, who is an actually iconic.

Again, it's subjective but I think it's a fair argument to make that Ganon and Geno have a bit more of an "all-star" trait given the roles they had in there games.
Ganon, yes. Ganondorf? Way lesser degree. Geno is hardly an All-Star when it comes to gaming in general. He doesn't have the recognizability for that. Not even close. That doesn't mean he shouldn't be in. We have many non-All-Stars in Smash, and that's okay. It was never a criteria to get into the game in itself. Not even the first game. The whole All-Star moniker is used to help sell it, but only because the first game wanted recognizable characters instead of generic ones. So in other words, Sakurai already had generic characters from the start. Not odd he added more with pretty much every new Pokemon(only Mewtwo isn't 100% generic by design at best), as well as PP. Never mind he turned Game & Watch from a generic set of characters into a literal character just for Smash. Or that R.O.B. had no real characterization, and only had some basic stuff. Funny enough, PP has tons of personality as is. And it shows. Looks like he acts like any character, plays like a character, has the official role of a character within the game franchise he's in... how isn't he a character again? Cause I'm not seeing it.

He's a generic character. A stock monster. He has no importance to any mainline Mario game he has appeared in. Him existing holds no significance to the story or the lore to the Mario universe. "That's still a character" is a silly excuse to defend his inclusion.
Story. Lore. Mario.

Yeah, right. The games have almost zero story or lore. Every character in the game play an important role in making the game work. That's not how "being a character works" in a video game. They just need to exist within the game to be a character. He's no less a character than Geno is. They're all characters within the settings. Stretching it to bash official characters is pointless and only makes it all the better on why PP should be in the game. To show people that the term "character" is misunderstood. All that matters is they play a role in whatever media has them in to apply to the most basic of definitions. What do you know, PP is the usual important role of giving the player a challenge to face. And a ton of characters play the same role, including Bowser.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I have come to the conclusion that winter is Geno's favorite season, and that he shows his most child-like side in the snow. Hopping into it, making snow angels, building snowmen, snowball fights...

After all, if he was born in Starborn Valley, that'd make a lot of sense. Hee hee.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Well, it's more like baby Rosalina is basically a child version of the Rosalina we know and love, but... not, because it contradicts with her story book. As quoted on the Mario Wiki,

"Baby Rosalina's design contradicts the events of the storybook; despite Rosalina meeting the Lumas when she was a child, her baby form has her dress decorated with stars, a crown with jewels, and a wand. She also has blond hair, while Rosalina has red hair as a child in the storybook."

At least baby Daisy would have feasibly and logically been able to exist, even if she wasn't present in any games. Baby Rosalina shouldn't even exist to begin with, not the way she is portrayed here. It's entirely illogical and paradoxical.
Took me 11 years to notice that Rosalina's hair used to be slightly red.

But you're right, it doesn't make sense... definitely plot hole.

ARandomZoomer

Smash Apprentice
They clearly didn't care that the anime Pikachu of note was male either. It was a coincidence that Smash used the male design at best).
Quick note they couldn't have used a female pikachu design for the 1st two Smash games because it, like almost all pokemon design differences between male and female didn't exist at the time.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Quick note they couldn't have used a female pikachu design for the 1st two Smash games because it, like almost all pokemon design differences between male and female didn't exist at the time.
That's exactly why I say it's a coincidence. I probably didn't explain that well enough, though, yeah.

In fact, they could've easily made a female Pikachu echo. But since the Pikachu in Smash is not literally Ash's(or Red's), but a generic one loosely based upon the anime(it did that overhead Tail strike before anime established it as an official animation for things like Iron Tail, even), it seemed pointless. That, and the fact Pichu is back means having another clone type of Pikachu would be... superfluous.

ARandomZoomer

Smash Apprentice
That's exactly why I say it's a coincidence. I probably didn't explain that well enough, though, yeah.

In fact, they could've easily made a female Pikachu echo. But since the Pikachu in Smash is not literally Ash's(or Red's), but a generic one loosely based upon the anime(it did that overhead Tail strike before anime established it as an official animation for things like Iron Tail, even), it seemed pointless. That, and the fact Pichu is back means having another clone type of Pikachu would be... superfluous.
No I think you explained that well enough, just wanted to point out a specific detail. Personally, I agree with you on pokemon being mooks.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
No I think you explained that well enough, just wanted to point out a specific detail. Personally, I agree with you on pokemon being mooks.
Ah.

Funny thing is, only Greninja comes remotely close to being a "specific person" in comparison. Mewtwo at best has some dialogue, but nothing in particular. In fact, it only has Shadow Ball, introduced in the movie as a specific move it can use. Otherwise, nothing special. The closest was the Mega Evolution, but that was a feminine Mewtwo that used it, and the Mewtwo is Smash is masculine. Greninja was updated to use the Kunai from the anime, though I'm guessing the games will stick with that anyway. But more importantly, the Final Smash has Ash-Greninja. And you cannot get an Ash-Greninja version of Greninja within the Pokemon games without the Original Trainer being Ash. They effectively updated it to literally be Ash's Greninja, in a clear cut way.

The rest? Not so much. Super generic, and since they're just random monsters within the series, are mooks by definition. Though that said, I can agree that the term "mook" is kind of demeaning as well, even if a popular term. So we have a lot of generic enemy characters playable in Smash. I always would've liked Primids, the Polygons, and Wireframes, and the Alloys playable, so... I'm pretty happy that PP opens up more options. :)

D

Deleted member

Other than the Dex entries, they look honestly like the same general amount of work.
I disagree. When they design Pokemon they take a lot of things into consideration. Whatever existing thing in the real world they're basing it off of, the element type they're giving it and how they convey into their evolutions.

In the games? Yes, that's what Mewtwo is. In the movies he's a true one-off. Even then, he'd be the only one you could argue isn't a Mook, but the rest? Total mooks by design. They're all possible to theoretically show up as a random monster within the game's settings. Those some require codes. But they're literally among the "can show up in the game's random areas" in the bytes. Mewtwo is literally the same as all the general Pokemon races. He's hardly characterized in those games, so he's no different from the random Pikachu you can find. The only ones with any remote character at best is the Pikachu in Yellow. Rest? I wouldn't say they're anything special.
I think we can probably come to agreement that the legendaries can be ruled out as a mook. They have a lot more significance to the regions lore anyways and they're hardly random encounters however Mewtwo is not the same as the other general Pokemon. He's a legendary and he is characterized by his typing and his legendary status. All the Pokemon are characterized in different ways when you take into consideration their species, types and their dex entries.

Actually, they do. Because that's literally the category they were put in by Sakurai. They serve the same role. Surprise character.
Okay, I'll take your word for it (I'd like to see a source though but it's not a bit deal). However that doesn't change the fact that the previous 3's inclusion can be backed up by the fact that they had a significant role in their franchises they appeared in and why. Comparing them to PP waters down the importance these reps had to the series that had importance to Nintendo's history. All of them are related because the games they were introduced a different peripheral to there games with WFT on the Wii Fit Board (and using the gimmick of a fitness game), DH with the gun that nearly everyone in the west who bought the original NES console action set had since the game was packaged with it and ROB introducing the robot peripheral... named ROB. These were all interesting and unique gimmicks that Nintendo rolled with, some more popular than others, but that's their significance.

The role was why PP was actually why it was chosen.
I'm sure it was. And I'm only protesting why it was really stupid that a generic Mario enemy got in before any character with an important role that fans voted and rallied behind regardless if they are main protagonists, main antagonists or supporting roles like Falco.

He wanted a recurring enemy who constantly exists as a challenge to the player. PP is pretty much another antagonist as well, not unlike Wolf, actually. It's the same general role to begin with. But in the end, all 4 of them are surprise characters. That's their "Role in Smash".
Yes because waiting for a plant to go down a pipe or shooting a fireball at him is sooooo challenging. PP is not like Wolf. At all. What're you talking about? Wolf is the rival to Star Fox. He has appeared in multiple games in the franchise as an important character to the plot with personality, dialogue and a purpose. Yeah, they're both bad guys but that's an unfair comparison because at least Wolf means something to his series.

In Smash? Yes. It's a Generic Pokemon Trainer entirely. The dialogue is nothing but in-game dialogue that all trainers do. It's a generic representation of the class. And that's fine. That's the purpose of the character controlling Charizard, Ivysaur, and Squirtle. Those 3 are a lot more defined in comparison, like having actual names.
No. Not in Smash. In Pokemon. In Pokemon the trainer is far from generic while PP in Mario is generic.

...That's a hugely important role in the story, dude. Antagonists matter. What on earth are you talking about? That's a key role that helps the story go along. You have to have actual characters for the protagonists to be challenged by for any kind of action story. Or story in general to make it interesting. It's absolutely important in order to make it work. They're extremely important to how the game works. Unless you want to play Mario with absolutely zero enemies. Cause that's what it'd be like without a major role like that. You could argue some games don't care about going through enemies. In that case, the enemies aren't really an important role. But in Mario? Definitely is important. You don't have much of a platformer without a challenging monster to figure out how to defeat/avoid. That's a very important part of the game, facing the challenge. Downplaying important aspects of how a game works pretty much ruins why the games even work.
You do realize that there's different levels of antagonists right? It's a common thing for video games to give different antagonists different roles. PP's antagonist role is less significant than the Koopalings, but the Koopalings antagonist role is less significant than Bowsers. So it goes PP -> Koopalings -> Bowser. You can't conflate them as sharing the same importance just because they are all antagonists. This is common knowledge.

Mooks are any general enemy that challenges you. That includes the Pokemon. They're just recruitable mooks. You know the recruitable mook thing didn't even originate in Pokemon. It's actually from earlier games where it was a normal feature. Pokemon just capitalized off of it. So yes, they share the same role, a challenge to overcome or recruit.
Then we're just gonna have to agree to disagree on mooks and Pokemon. Wild Pokemon aren't necessarily the bad guys or enemies. Grunts on the other hand, are.

No. He debuted in Melee. He didn't have a big role until his game actually came out. And All-Star isn't really subjective. They're highly recognizable characters to begin with. People know who they are. PP is way more known than Roy, and more of an All-Star than he ever was, honestly. But that's due to exposure. Of course people will know who a notable mook is compared to an unknown character. Being the protagonist of a game will not make you an All-Star. Most of the FE cast can barely say that originally. Marth was the only one who really hit that status, and it wasn't exactly worldwide. PP definitely hit that status, as did a lot of the general enemies. The biggest and hottest characters is pretty much all you need to get the All-Star role. Queen Bee was not one of them, where Waluigi was. And the All-Star was cut out of MK7 for a character that wasn't even that well known either. Which can't even be said of PP, who is an actually iconic.

Ganon, yes. Ganondorf? Way lesser degree. Geno is hardly an All-Star when it comes to gaming in general. He doesn't have the recognizability for that. Not even close. That doesn't mean he shouldn't be in. We have many non-All-Stars in Smash, and that's okay. It was never a criteria to get into the game in itself. Not even the first game. The whole All-Star moniker is used to help sell it, but only because the first game wanted recognizable characters instead of generic ones. So in other words, Sakurai already had generic characters from the start. Not odd he added more with pretty much every new Pokemon(only Mewtwo isn't 100% generic by design at best), as well as PP. Never mind he turned Game & Watch from a generic set of characters into a literal character just for Smash. Or that R.O.B. had no real characterization, and only had some basic stuff. Funny enough, PP has tons of personality as is. And it shows. Looks like he acts like any character, plays like a character, has the official role of a character within the game franchise he's in... how isn't he a character again? Cause I'm not seeing it.
You're right. He did debut in Melee. I forgot about that and I retract that part of my statement. However it doesn't change the fact that the first FE game he was in was a legitimate MC role which could still solidify the argument of the all-star trait for him. This is where the all-star thing gets subjective though. You're tying it in with exposure and I believe it has to do with the star power one has to it's respective series. The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines it as:

all-star
noun
Definition of all-star (Entry 2 of 2)
1: a member of an all-star team
2: an outstanding or highly regarded performer within a field : star
The ceremony gathered all-stars from film, television, and radio.

Now if we're gonna use the first definition there to describe all-star; sure, he is now because he made it into the cast of a bunch of other all-stars. However the second definition is the one that applies to this argument because we're trying to determine if he was an all-star prior to Smash. If we're gonna go by the legitimate definition of the term, then you're wrong. Any video game main protagonist like Roy could be classified under the all-star category based on the second definition. PP had no all-star status prior to Smash.

Ganon and Ganondorf are the same dude so we can just clump them together. And are you going to deny Geno's significant role in SMRPG? He may not have all-star status in the Mario franchise as a whole, but I'd like to hear you refute his status in the game he appeared in. This is just going by the actual definition of one coming from the dictionary. G&W you could argue is one because he represents an entire Nintendo platform with nearly everything G&W related rolled into one. Are we going to ignore the significance the Game and Watches had to Nintendo's history? I don't think we can. I feel you with ROB but like I said before, he's pretty important for adding a new peripheral to the NES console and at least he has arms. Oh yeah, I went there. ;)

Again, I think who is considered an all-star or not is totally subjective. It's kind of funny you don't agree with that because it would really help your argument if you did. If it isn't subjective then I can honestly say that objectively PP isn't an all-star based on the actual definition of the term prior to getting into Smash.

Story. Lore. Mario.

Yeah, right. The games have almost zero story or lore.
Almost.

Every character in the game play an important role in making the game work. That's not how "being a character works" in a video game. They just need to exist within the game to be a character. He's no less a character than Geno is. They're all characters within the settings. Stretching it to bash official characters is pointless and only makes it all the better on why PP should be in the game. To show people that the term "character" is misunderstood. All that matters is they play a role in whatever media has them in to apply to the most basic of definitions. What do you know, PP is the usual important role of giving the player a challenge to face. And a ton of characters play the same role, including Bowser.
We know. He's a character. Again, that's a silly argument to defend his inclusion. I'm not saying PP has zero importance, just little. Very VERY little. You could say the same thing about standard blocks you break in the original Mario. According to the original instruction manual of the game (that gives you more of an insight of the story and the lore btw) the blocks used to be civilians of the Mushroom Kingdom. They offer a challenge by getting in your way, kind of like PP despite how trivial of a challenge it may be. Who's to say there's still no life in those blocks? Who's to say they offer less importance because they're no longer characters? I mean, they used to be technically. Sorry, I'm just being silly here. ;)

You really seem to be conflating all the roles of all the characters just because "they're characters" and because of people recognizing them. That's the impression that I'm getting here. Some play a smaller role than others. Some have a more important role than others as I laid out in my argument regarding the Koopalings. It's really silly to say that PP has some all-star status or importance despite having very little dialogue, purpose or personality compared to guys like Geno or anyone else that didn't get in.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
...Mario has plot?
I know you're probably joking, but I'll answer for fun:

I mean, yeah, kinda. Sometimes it's even located on the back of the game boxes/cases or in the game manual, but this whole case about Baby Rosalina just intervenes with Mario's timeline. It's like when you find a Jungle Green Nintendo 64 in a lost 1999 VHS video; the Funtastic colored N64 console variations weren't released to the public yet until March 6, 2000. (Oh wow, that was exactly 19 years ago!)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I disagree. When they design Pokemon they take a lot of things into consideration. Whatever existing thing in the real world they're basing it off of, the element type they're giving it and how they convey into their evolutions.
...Like most mooks, yeah.

I think we can probably come to agreement that the legendaries can be ruled out as a mook. They have a lot more significance to the regions lore anyways and they're hardly random encounters however Mewtwo is not the same as the other general Pokemon. He's a legendary and he is characterized by his typing and his legendary status. All the Pokemon are characterized in different ways when you take into consideration their species, types and their dex entries.
Actually, multiplies of legendaries exist, especially minor ones. So not really. Only very special ones. Ironically Mewtwo doesn't even have that going for it. It's just a case of "only one exists" at best. But to pretend it has anything special to it within the games is silly. It's not treated as anything more important than your average Rattata. The anime and manga, and some spin-off games actually make you care about its existence. In a twist, Lugia are supposed to have multiples of, yet it's supposed to have importance to the lore. They're extremely inconsistent about how important they are. But in the end, they all play their role, whether it's a generic mook or a bit more in the story. While still have the same role that all of the enemy mooks share, being catchable.

Okay, I'll take your word for it (I'd like to see a source though but it's not a bit deal). However that doesn't change the fact that the previous 3's inclusion can be backed up by the fact that they had a significant role in their franchises they appeared in and why. Comparing them to PP waters down the importance these reps had to the series that had importance to Nintendo's history. All of them are related because the games they were introduced a different peripheral to there games with WFT on the Wii Fit Board (and using the gimmick of a fitness game), DH with the gun that nearly everyone in the west who bought the original NES console action set had since the game was packaged with it and ROB introducing the robot peripheral... named ROB. These were all interesting and unique gimmicks that Nintendo rolled with, some more popular than others, but that's their significance.
The problem is you're acting like this doesn't make them a surprise addition. That's their role. They were all chosen for different reasons, but are still a surprise character. PP is intentionally put into that category. Absolutely none of those characters were easily(or as is) seen coming.

I'm sure it was. And I'm only protesting why it was really stupid that a generic Mario enemy got in before any character with an important role that fans voted and rallied behind regardless if they are main protagonists, main antagonists or supporting roles like Falco.
Enemy mooks are supporting roles as is, if you want to get into the nitty-gritty of it. They support the game's genre by giving a specific challenge to the player. That's a pretty important role in the end. So yes, I'd absolutely put them in the same role importance as ones like Falco. Although you actually could remove Falco and Star Fox would play pretty much the same. Depending which game. The gameplay is still about shooting down enemy ships/etc. If you remove those enemy ships, you completely change the game. If you remove Falco, you might remove literally one path at best. He really doesn't play much of a role in every Star Fox game as you'd think. He's barely there in Star Fox 64, which is kind of an issue with the game. Most of them aren't that important overall. Wolf does a lot more. Hell, Slippy does too, since he matters to that game's particular story by creating your vehicles. Petty and Falco don't do anything major beyond being general support. There's a little bit with Falco talking to some other characters, but those aren't extremely important characters either. They're just side options if you want to get 100% completion. So yeah, pretty much like your enemy mooks. Who you face in particular are a side option in many cases. They have a simple but important role in the story, an adversary to face along the way. Without that, you have a really boring story. So they're pretty important in that regard. Even for games that have a joke of a story, like Mario 1.

Yes because waiting for a plant to go down a pipe or shooting a fireball at him is sooooo challenging. PP is not like Wolf. At all. What're you talking about? Wolf is the rival to Star Fox. He has appeared in multiple games in the franchise as an important character to the plot with personality, dialogue and a purpose. Yeah, they're both bad guys but that's an unfair comparison because at least Wolf means something to his series.
They're all challenges to overcome. Same difference. It doesn't matter how much dialogue an enemy has. They're no less an adversary for the protagonist. It's the same overall role. Mario doesn't even have a single real boss to fight in the updated(and canon) version of Super Mario Bros. 1. All the rest are generic mooks pretending to be Bowser with only the real one as the end of the game. Again, you act like the general enemies you face aren't important to the plot. Of course they are. How do you think Mario becomes stronger to face more foes? By training against smaller ones. The journey is extremely important to every story. Everything they face along the way makes them stronger. They're a very important role in actually developing a character. If the only thing Mario had to face was literally the holes and just Bowser at 8-4, he wouldn't even be considered someone who actually has accomplished much of anything. So basically, what he'd really be doing if you removed the important roles of enemy mooks to face is... walking and jumping alone with absolutely zero challenges, luckily beat the final boss, and more or less makes you wonder why Peach didn't walk home herself. Not like there was a challenge for the player, right? Cause that's what it's like without the key role of having other generic enemies to face. So yeah, when I say their role is important, it's for a good reason. It keeps the story from being entirely bland. But hey, if you think removing mooks(which are important to the story) would somehow magically make the game feel the same, sure. But I can guarantee it would make pretty much every game suck if there was no real challenge to overcome. It's why they always matter.

No. Not in Smash. In Pokemon. In Pokemon the trainer is far from generic while PP in Mario is generic.
I'm talking about in Smash. Pokemon Trainer, like every Pokemon(bar Greninja, actually), they're all completely generic. PP actually has more personality than some characters too. Though to be fair, many of them were hard to given personality too(like R.O.B.).

You do realize that there's different levels of antagonists right? It's a common thing for video games to give different antagonists different roles. PP's antagonist role is less significant than the Koopalings, but the Koopalings antagonist role is less significant than Bowsers. So it goes PP -> Koopalings -> Bowser. You can't conflate them as sharing the same importance just because they are all antagonists. This is common knowledge.
Sure I can. They're all absolutely challenges to overcome and make the hero stronger. It doesn't matter how strong the enemy is at all for that. They're all important. How do you think Mario becomes strong enough to face any boss? He needs to face someone weaker. It's a matter of scale. Bowser is stronger than the Koopalings and the final boss because he's the most powerful. The general enemy mooks are far weaker, but still an important adversary for Mario to overcome. He doesn't get to Bowser and win without becoming stronger. What kind of bad story design is that? Cause as I said before, if you don't have the enemy mooks, you have zero real challenge for the player till the very end. Remember, there is nothing but enemy mooks in Super Mario Bros. 1's story. The actual official version of it has nothing but that bar Bowser himself. That means without the important role the mooks have, he will never have a real challenge to face(at best, what, jumping skills?) beyond the final boss. It's why there's smaller things to face. Which is absolutely important in making someone stronger.

Then we're just gonna have to agree to disagree on mooks and Pokemon. Wild Pokemon aren't necessarily the bad guys or enemies. Grunts on the other hand, are.
Wild Pokemon are definitely enemies to face. And befriend. They actually exist because they want to be challenged by you. They're literally challenging you to catch them. It's kind of part of the lore. And that's still what mooks are, a challenge to the player. So yes, they are just a different kind of mook. It's not like the term Mook can't be applied to different characters yet have distinct roles.

You're right. He did debut in Melee. I forgot about that and I retract that part of my statement. However it doesn't change the fact that the first FE game he was in was a legitimate MC role which could still solidify the argument of the all-star trait for him. This is where the all-star thing gets subjective though. You're tying it in with exposure and I believe it has to do with the star power one has to it's respective series. The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines it as:

all-star
noun
Definition of all-star (Entry 2 of 2)
1: a member of an all-star team
2: an outstanding or highly regarded performer within a field : star
The ceremony gathered all-stars from film, television, and radio.
...So all fits PP, then. A member of a major franchise. All-Stars in Smash actually is about recognizability, with the way it gathers characters. How do you think they're "outstanding"? It ain't a performance in a game. These are videos games here. What you're looking at is more of a sports thing. In a video game, to be an all-star, you need to be well known enough. You don't need to even have the biggest role ever(though PP does co-star with quite a few for a pretty key role in how the game is). You stand out by being recognizable. Obviously Sakurai doesn't just grab anybody but All-Stars(again, a lot of characters are not that recognizable to most. In fact, PP is more recognizable than R.O.B. and Mr. Game & Watch were, due to the former only known during a small era, and the latter being in way less games. Wii Fit Trainer is more up there in being known, but not that much, and then you have Duck Hunt, who is definitely an All-Star by all means. PP is absolutely an All-Star. Is too well known and stands out as one of the most iconic mooks in the Mario series, along with Goomba and Koopa Troopa, all huge stand outs. People know who they are, after all).

Now if we're gonna use the first definition there to describe all-star; sure, he is now because he made it into the cast of a bunch of other all-stars. However the second definition is the one that applies to this argument because we're trying to determine if he was an all-star prior to Smash. If we're gonna go by the legitimate definition of the term, then you're wrong. Any video game main protagonist like Roy could be classified under the all-star category based on the second definition. PP had no all-star status prior to Smash.
This is not remotely true at all. Not when it's highly recognizable. All-Star status has nothing to do with Smash requests in itself. They're separate things.

Ganon and Ganondorf are the same dude so we can just clump them together. And are you going to deny Geno's significant role in SMRPG? He may not have all-star status in the Mario franchise as a whole, but I'd like to hear you refute his status in the game he appeared in. This is just going by the actual definition of one coming from the dictionary. G&W you could argue is one because he represents an entire Nintendo platform with nearly everything G&W related rolled into one. Are we going to ignore the significance the Game and Watches had to Nintendo's history? I don't think we can. I feel you with ROB but like I said before, he's pretty important for adding a new peripheral to the NES console and at least he has arms. Oh yeah, I went there. ;)
Geno is not an All-Star because he doesn't stand out in the Mario franchise to the general public. Few knew of him to begin with. So no, his good role in that game is not enough. He doesn't have the exposure to be heavily cared about. He's getting more recognizable, but I wouldn't dare to give him that status. Which is all the more reason I still think he earned his spot in Smash. He's no All-Star, but who gives a rat's ass about that? It's a gaming character crossover. Being a gaming character is the actual requirement to get into Smash. Not some poor idea that you need elite status or a major role in a game to do so. It clearly is not important at all. Nor wanted. Geno is a great idea to add because the fans and Sakurai want him. And the only thing that really matters in the end. It's a game full of many all-stars, and many non-playable ones where you fight as your favorite character. And that's what's really important, having a character that is fun to play.

I am ignoring that evidence because that. Does. Not. Matter. Mr. Game & Watch was a surprise character. PP is a surprise character. That is their role in Smash. No more, no less. That was the intention in adding them. He considered characters for different reasons. You've only given good reason to consider them. And Geno was not considered out of anything but fan demand, actually. Every single time he was spoken of, Sakurai talked about how high he scored on polls, that he wanted him in, and that fans wanted him in. So yeah, it has nothing to do with some game status. It's just a popular character. Not all characters who are popular will get in. In fact, if it was solely popular characters. we would not have Mr. Game & Watch to begin with. Cause he was created for Smash, for more importantly, he was considered due to the gaming history as you said, but his main reason for addition is "surprise character". Just like R.O.B. and others.

Ganon and Ganondorf are different characters to begin with. Ganon is not playable in Smash. His humanoid form is. They have very different abilities, at most sharing the usage of a sword, and only sometimes. Ganondorf is definitely not recognizable in the same way Pig Ganon is. One's the original main antagonist. The other is a character who replaced Agnahim and eventually evolved into being someone unique, but sharing essentially the same role, a wizard who is connected to Ganon.

Again, I think who is considered an all-star or not is totally subjective. It's kind of funny you don't agree with that because it would really help your argument if you did. If it isn't subjective then I can honestly say that objectively PP isn't an all-star based on the actual definition of the term prior to getting into Smash.
Not really. It would make my argument pointless. I do not view Smash as some combination of All-Stars. I view it like it actually is; a crossover of various video game characters, with some all-stars among the mix. If a character isn't recognizable to the general public... they ain't an all-star. They need to stand out to them too. How on earth do you expect them to matter otherwise? The characters in the first game were all recognizable to the public at the time. That changed once Melee hit, full of characters that few recognized. When people say we're still missing a few All-Stars, they do actually mean characters even the public generally knows. Dixie Kong, Toad, guys who actually are recognizable. While tons of Mooks are All-Stars by all means(since again, your definition is more applying to Sports, not video games), people never really believed generic mooks would get in, despite Pokemon proving time and time again it's hard an issue. Despite wanting ones like Toad who most don't even know is a specific character and a generic race. Or the fact that Yoshi isn't particularly special compared to his race(unlike Toad, which even had a different name), being pretty much identical to the rest of the species to begin with.

There is no almost. They have practically nothing to note. It's not designed to be story-driven. That's why every role matters so much more than other games. Because without those small roles, the game has barely anything worth noting. I wouldn't even say it has enough of a story where the roles are very big at all.

We know. He's a character. Again, that's a silly argument to defend his inclusion. I'm not saying PP has zero importance, just little. Very VERY little. You could say the same thing about standard blocks you break in the original Mario. According to the original instruction manual of the game (that gives you more of an insight of the story and the lore btw) the blocks used to be civilians of the Mushroom Kingdom. They offer a challenge by getting in your way, kind of like PP despite how trivial of a challenge it may be. Who's to say there's still no life in those blocks? Who's to say they offer less importance because they're no longer characters? I mean, they used to be technically. Sorry, I'm just being silly here. ;)
Actually, there's an implication and even some stories go with the blocks being transformed Toads. Even then, yeah, I'd say they're characters that play an important role in helping the player overcomes many adversaries. So another set of important roles too. Minor roles are still important to a story, you know. In fact, you seem to keep using the term important wrong. Important just means without that role, the story would fall flat. What you're looking for is the term "minor", which means the role is small, but doesn't lack importance. It's a lot more accurate than what you're saying.

You really seem to be conflating all the roles of all the characters just because "they're characters" and because of people recognizing them. That's the impression that I'm getting here. Some play a smaller role than others. Some have a more important role than others as I laid out in my argument regarding the Koopalings. It's really silly to say that PP has some all-star status or importance despite having very little dialogue, purpose or personality compared to guys like Geno or anyone else that didn't get in.
Geno isn't an All-Star in the Mario series. He's a single character in an obscure game. I love the character and all, but there's no point in pretending the game is that well known nor is Geno that recognizability. I don't say this to bash the guy either, of course. It's just being realistic. He hasn't earned the status of All-Star at all.

PP has. People know who it is. It stands out within the series. It's the main plant guy. It has tons of species variants and tons of abilities. It actually does have some personality too. All-Star status has nothing to do with having tons of dialogue or purpose within a story. You don't need to have tons of personality. What they need is that people know who they are. They can pretend to remotely stand out in theory, but if a minority know who they are, what exactly makes them worth noting to the public enough to gain an All-Star Status. Even Marth was way more known than Geno, and Geno was released in more regions at the time. Which is saying something. Recognizability is key to the biggest degree possible. They have to be known first and foremost. Without that, they cannot stand out where it matters. All-Star, as the term, has nothing to do with "being important to a story in itself". That's great. But doesn't cut it alone. That just might makes it possible for them to become this. But then again, since any character who plays a role in a story holds importance to some degree, they all can potentially become one. And I can definitely say that PP is absolutely an All-Star. To pretend it isn't is just silly at this point. It's not a requested All-Star. That's the difference between it and others like Shadow. Unfortunately, Isaac is not one who is much of an All-Star these days either. Golden Sun is very niche, unfortunately. Tons of requests, but doesn't stand out among other rpg's for a good amount of the public. Heck, Banjo & Kazooie had more general All-Star status back then, standing out heavily(they lost a lot of it these days, but hopefully will build it up again at some point. I'm sure if they got in Smash, they'll be notable enough to the public to re-earn the title).

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I'm free to bash as much as you can blindly praise. Your opinion is no more valid than mine. You don't have to like it any more than I like yours. As far as my use of "troll", you need to get over yourself. "Once too many times in a bad manner"? Sure, Dad. This coming from the ppl that brought you gems like "You don't technically need limbs" in a fighting game! Oh yeah, we could totally make a fighting game of potatoes bumping into each other or using their telekinetic powers. lmao For the record, I never said something like tetris COULDN'T be in the game. It was more of question of SHOULD it be in the game. Again, this is simply a difference of opinion. One that neither of us is going to apparently convince the other of.
Dude. It's a video game, and you're trying to bring realistic logic into it. You're acting like it's completely impossible to add the Tetris block as a character, when you're not realizing that this a video game we're talking about. They can literally do whatever they want. Video games have no limits or boundaries creativity wise. What Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth said about the Tetris block using telekinetic powers is actually feasible, and you only found that ridiculous because, once again, you're trying to bring logic into something that isn't bound by the real world lmao. I actually found it ridiculous that you think adding the Tetris block is impossible.

By the way, if you bash a character, you're going to get called out on it. We can praise characters just as much as you can bash, but at least praising characters doesn't paint us out in a negative light :/

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
Is a Tetromino even a being? Not being facetious here, genuinely curious, I just assumed they were literal objects.

I think it'd be rad to see Tetris in the game in some form but I really don't think a playable rep is it. I'm all for creative quirky characters but that seems wholly unfaithful to the source material. Stage or assist absolutely, but like Monster Hunter, the series is represented more accurately elsewhere I think (the monsters themselves being notably more iconic than the protagonist). Just my take on it.

D

Deleted member

I'm a little tired so apologies if my response doesn't correspond with the argument properly.

...Like most Pokemon, yeah.
fix'd that for ya.

Actually, multiplies of legendaries exist, especially minor ones. So not really. Only very special ones. Ironically Mewtwo doesn't even have that going for it. It's just a case of "only one exists" at best. But to pretend it has anything special to it within the games is silly. It's not treated as anything more important than your average Rattata. The anime and manga, and some spin-off games actually make you care about its existence. In a twist, Lugia are supposed to have multiples of, yet it's supposed to have importance to the lore. They're extremely inconsistent about how important they are. But in the end, they all play their role, whether it's a generic mook or a bit more in the story. While still have the same role that all of the enemy mooks share, being catchable..
wut? Dude, Pokemon like Mewtwo, Deoxys or Celebi are automatically special because there, oh gosh... what's the word?

Legendary.
[insert Barney meme here]

Have you ever played Pokemon? Like, ever? Asking for a friend. To say that Mewtwo is not treated as anything more important than a Rattata is incredibly ignorant. Did you know that Pokemon have different stats? And did you know that Legendary Pokemon have higher stats than say a Rattata? And did you know that most Legendary Pokemon don't have evolutions because they're already overpowered monsters? They're different than you're "average mooks" because they have higher stats, they're stronger, they have a deeper relation to the lore of whatever region they came from and they're harder to catch and most of the time you can only catch one per game.

And you keep bringing up the movies and the mangas. That's irrelevent. We're talking about video games, not movies and manga that have no relationship to the canon of the games. At all so of course there's going to be some inconsistency.

The problem is you're acting like this doesn't make them a surprise addition. That's their role. They were all chosen for different reasons, but are still a surprise character. PP is intentionally put into that category. Absolutely none of those characters were easily(or as is) seen coming.
Of course they are surprise additions. I'm not refuting that. I'm just pointing out that they are for different reasons. They're roles for getting in Smash could be the same by just falling under the WTF category but you're ignoring my point that they have significant roles in their games when bringing up WFT, DH or ROB which solidifies the idea of them being a good representative to their respective series that meant something to Nintendo's history and/or offered some silly gimmick associated with their franchises they appeared in.

Enemy mooks are supporting roles as is, if you want to get into the nitty-gritty of it. They support the game's genre by giving a specific challenge to the player. That's a pretty important role in the end.
Doesn't mean they offer the same challenge. PP is just something in the way. The Koopalings were bosses that required a bit more time and strategy to beat. Granted, not much strategy but a lot more than just sitting there and waiting for them to slide back down the pipe. They are not the same because they are characters that have a role. They are different characters with different roles. Some roles with more importance than others. It's not rocket appliances here, dude.

So yes, I'd absolutely put them in the same role importance as ones like Falco. Although you actually could remove Falco and Star Fox would play pretty much the same. Depending which game. The gameplay is still about shooting down enemy ships/etc. If you remove those enemy ships, you completely change the game. If you remove Falco, you might remove literally one path at best. He really doesn't play much of a role in every Star Fox game as you'd think. He's barely there in Star Fox 64, which is kind of an issue with the game. Most of them aren't that important overall.
I can agree with you here. However, he plays a bigger role in Star Fox than Piranha Plant does in Mario. It's ridiculous to say otherwise.

Wolf does a lot more. Hell, Slippy does too, since he matters to that game's particular story by creating your vehicles. Petty and Falco don't do anything major beyond being general support. There's a little bit with Falco talking to some other characters, but those aren't extremely important characters either. They're just side options if you want to get 100% completion. So yeah, pretty much like your enemy mooks. Who you face in particular are a side option in many cases. They have a simple but important role in the story, an adversary to face along the way. Without that, you have a really boring story. So they're pretty important in that regard. Even for games that have a joke of a story, like Mario 1.
You're really giving PP a lot more credit than it deserves. You could say that Falco offers little to the plot of the games, which is true but he is a character that still offers something because he has dialogue, a purpose and personality. PP has a lot less significant purpose and personalty than Fox and Falco.

They're all challenges to overcome. Same difference.
No. Not same difference. Again, hey don't offer the same challenges. Some are easier than others and PP's is one of the easiest challenges ever.

Sit there and wait for it to disappear. Or throw a fireball at it. Just because they offer challenges doesn't mean the challenges are the same.

It doesn't matter how much dialogue an enemy has. They're no less an adversary for the protagonist. It's the same overall role. Mario doesn't even have a single real boss to fight in the updated(and canon) version of Super Mario Bros. 1. All the rest are generic mooks pretending to be Bowser with only the real one as the end of the game. Again, you act like the general enemies you face aren't important to the plot.
They're not as important as Bowser. That's what I'm saying. That's why Bowser got into Smash and a Goomba did not. I'm not gonna say mooks are not important, they're just not as important.

Of course they are.
Barely.

How do you think Mario becomes stronger to face more foes? By training against smaller ones. The journey is extremely important to every story. Everything they face along the way makes them stronger. They're a very important role in actually developing a character. If the only thing Mario had to face was literally the holes and just Bowser at 8-4, he wouldn't even be considered someone who actually has accomplished much of anything. So basically, what he'd really be doing if you removed the important roles of enemy mooks to face is... walking and jumping alone with absolutely zero challenges, luckily beat the final boss, and more or less makes you wonder why Peach didn't walk home herself. Not like there was a challenge for the player, right? Cause that's what it's like without the key role of having other generic enemies to face. So yeah, when I say their role is important, it's for a good reason. It keeps the story from being entirely bland. But hey, if you think removing mooks(which are important to the story) would somehow magically make the game feel the same, sure. But I can guarantee it would make pretty much every game suck if there was no real challenge to overcome. It's why they always matter.
I thought you said Mario didn't really have a story. ¯\_(o_O)_/¯

This isn't a JRPG where you gain experience or a heartfelt boxing movie. You can run past the little ******** and just race to the end. PP is not that big of a deal dude. He's a stock enemy. Something you can kill off quick. Something so insignificant and irrelevant that he could be replaced with something else and not many people would care. Replace Falco and you'd have a lot of disappointed fans of that character. Replace a Piranha Plant and barely anyone would bat an eye. Of course I'm sure you'd have some upset people but not nearly as much as these other characters you're comparing PP too.

I'll concede to the idea that PP is important if it helps gets my point across, but it's very very very little compared to the other characters we have mentioned.

I'm talking about in Smash. Pokemon Trainer, like every Pokemon(bar Greninja, actually), they're all completely generic. PP actually has more personality than some characters too. Though to be fair, many of them were hard to given personality too(like R.O.B.).
We're discussing the importance the characters have to their respective series. Not the importance they have to Smash. We're talking about why PT got in and should be compared to why PP got in and should be. PT is a more important character to the Pokemon franchise than PP is to Mario.

Sure I can. They're all absolutely challenges to overcome and make the hero stronger. It doesn't matter how strong the enemy is at all for that. They're all important. How do you think Mario becomes strong enough to face any boss? He needs to face someone weaker. It's a matter of scale. Bowser is stronger than the Koopalings and the final boss because he's the most powerful. The general enemy mooks are far weaker, but still an important adversary for Mario to overcome. He doesn't get to Bowser and win without becoming stronger. What kind of bad story design is that? Cause as I said before, if you don't have the enemy mooks, you have zero real challenge for the player till the very end. Remember, there is nothing but enemy mooks in Super Mario Bros. 1's story. The actual official version of it has nothing but that bar Bowser himself. That means without the important role the mooks have, he will never have a real challenge to face(at best, what, jumping skills?) beyond the final boss. It's why there's smaller things to face. Which is absolutely important in making someone stronger.
Again, you're giving PP a lot more credit than he deserves. He's really not that cool or interesting, which is why he was relegated to being a generic basic enemy. Stop conflating the importance of generic enemies to major enemies that are bosses because that's a really silly stance to take. PP, Goombas and Koopas hold very little importance to story or plot than the Koopalings or Bowser because they're mooks.

Wild Pokemon are definitely enemies to face. And befriend. They actually exist because they want to be challenged by you. They're literally challenging you to catch them. It's kind of part of the lore. And that's still what mooks are, a challenge to the player. So yes, they are just a different kind of mook. It's not like the term Mook can't be applied to different characters yet have distinct roles.
Agree to disagree. If you want to think that random innocent Pokemon that you can chose to fight, catch or flee from than that's your choice man. The mooks imo are the villainous team grunts. Pokemon being mooks is irrelevant to the conversation anyways. I'm more interested in discussing the importance of PP.

...So all fits PP, then.
No it does not. Read. It. Again...
'2: an outstanding or highly regarded performer within a field : star'

Piranha plant was not this prior to his Smash inclusion. Please read more carefully next time.

A member of a major franchise. All-Stars in Smash actually is about recognizability, with the way it gathers characters.
Excuse me, 'actually is about recognizability'? Do you have a source for that? Because it feels like you're deliberately creating a definition for how the term all-stars is considered in Smash.

How do you think they're "outstanding"? It ain't a performance in a game. These are videos games here. What you're looking at is more of a sports thing. In a video game, to be an all-star, you need to be well known enough. You don't need to even have the biggest role ever(though PP does co-star with quite a few for a pretty key role in how the game is). You stand out by being recognizable. Obviously Sakurai doesn't just grab anybody but All-Stars(again, a lot of characters are not that recognizable to most. In fact, PP is more recognizable than R.O.B. and Mr. Game & Watch were, due to the former only known during a small era, and the latter being in way less games. Wii Fit Trainer is more up there in being known, but not that much, and then you have Duck Hunt, who is definitely an All-Star by all means. PP is absolutely an All-Star. Is too well known and stands out as one of the most iconic mooks in the Mario series, along with Goomba and Koopa Troopa, all huge stand outs. People know who they are, after all).
Most of the characters you see on the Smash Roster holds an outstanding or highly regarded performance in the series that they are representing (like the second definition of all-stars states). I've explained why ROB, DH and WFT are different but you keep ignoring those points and I'm done repeating myself. One being recognizable is not the same as being a significant part to the series you are from. You stand out by being recognizable, sure but that's not the only reason. Characters stand out by being something significant, standing for something, and offering an importance that other characters that exist in the series may not. PP may be an all star by your definition which is clearly fueled by some bias, but before he got in, calling him an all-star by the actual definition in the English dictionary is incredibly disingenuous and wrong.

This is not remotely true at all. Not when it's highly recognizable. All-Star status has nothing to do with Smash requests in itself. They're separate things.
recognizable =/= importance

Again, when using the actual definition of all-star, being recognizable is irrelevant. It all has to do with the importance and the influence you have to offer. You might as well say that Isaac has less importance in general than PP because Isaac is not as recognizable in regards to the term all-star. I literally posted the definition of the word and you're still not getting it. It's not rocket appliances, guys.

Geno is not an All-Star because he doesn't stand out in the Mario franchise to the general public. Few knew of him to begin with. So no, his good role in that game is not enough. He doesn't have the exposure to be heavily cared about. He's getting more recognizable, but I wouldn't dare to give him that status. Which is all the more reason I still think he earned his spot in Smash. He's no All-Star, but who gives a rat's *** about that? It's a gaming character crossover. Being a gaming character is the actual requirement to get into Smash. Not some poor idea that you need elite status or a major role in a game to do so. It clearly is not important at all. Nor wanted. Geno is a great idea to add because the fans and Sakurai want him. And the only thing that really matters in the end. It's a game full of many all-stars, and many non-playable ones where you fight as your favorite character. And that's what's really important, having a character that is fun to play.
He stands out in the game though. He's an all-star in SMRPG based on the definition of the term. He was one of the main party characters for crying out loud. Not so much to the franchise, sure but we all know the obvious reasons why. Are you saying though that he's less important to the series because he's showed up in one game and less recognizable? Blasphemy.

I am ignoring that evidence because that. Does. Not. Matter. Mr. Game & Watch was a surprise character. PP is a surprise character. That is their role in Smash. No more, no less. That was the intention in adding them. He considered characters for different reasons. You've only given good reason to consider them. And Geno was not considered out of anything but fan demand, actually. Every single time he was spoken of, Sakurai talked about how high he scored on polls, that he wanted him in, and that fans wanted him in. So yeah, it has nothing to do with some game status. It's just a popular character. Not all characters who are popular will get in. In fact, if it was solely popular characters. we would not have Mr. Game & Watch to begin with. Cause he was created for Smash, for more importantly, he was considered due to the gaming history as you said, but his main reason for addition is "surprise character". Just like R.O.B. and others
It. Totally. Matters. Because their roles in Smash is not the same as their roles in the series they come from. Being a surprise character is not a good stand alone excuse to make a character a playable fighter. Nor is being a surprise character the stand alone reason why G&W, WFT, DH and ROB got in. There's more to those guys than just being wtf material as I have explained before because they mean something to the series they came from. Those guys are obscure additions that make sense. PP is a generic Mario enemy that offers little importance to its series.

Ganon and Ganondorf are different characters to begin with. Ganon is not playable in Smash. His humanoid form is. They have very different abilities, at most sharing the usage of a sword, and only sometimes. Ganondorf is definitely not recognizable in the same way Pig Ganon is. One's the original main antagonist. The other is a character who replaced Agnahim and eventually evolved into being someone unique, but sharing essentially the same role, a wizard who is connected to Ganon.
lol wut? The hell you talking about?
Okay, so it sounds like you've never played a Pokemon game. Have you never played a Zelda game either? Because, they're the ****ing same. Did you know that Ganondorf can turn into Ganon? Crazy eh. When I said they're the same, I literally meant it. I didn't even imply anything related to Smash when I say that. Ganon is Ganondorf. They look different but they're the same entity.

Not really. It would make my argument pointless. I do not view Smash as some combination of All-Stars. I view it like it actually is; a crossover of various video game characters, with some all-stars among the mix. If a character isn't recognizable to the general public... they ain't an all-star.
I'm just going by the literal definition of the term, and that tells me you are wrong.

They need to stand out to them too. How on earth do you expect them to matter otherwise? The characters in the first game were all recognizable to the public at the time. That changed once Melee hit, full of characters that few recognized. When people say we're still missing a few All-Stars, they do actually mean characters even the public generally knows. Dixie Kong, Toad, guys who actually are recognizable. While tons of Mooks are All-Stars by all means(since again, your definition is more applying to Sports, not video games), people never really believed generic mooks would get in, despite Pokemon proving time and time again it's hard an issue. Despite wanting ones like Toad who most don't even know is a specific character and a generic race. Or the fact that Yoshi isn't particularly special compared to his race(unlike Toad, which even had a different name), being pretty much identical to the rest of the species to begin with.
Regardless if the definition applies to sports, it can apply to video games. Mario and Mario 64 for example:

Outstanding highly regarded performer can be the same as being the protagonist in a sense. With field being either the game it self or the environment its set it. That's how I've always seen it but it's not really clear because, again, it's subjective.

There is no almost.
Uhhh....
Yeah, right. The games have almost zero story or lore.
You said this... This is a quote from you... Is it 'almost' or is it 'there is no almost'? Make up your mind.

They have practically nothing to note. It's not designed to be story-driven. That's why every role matters so much more than other games. Because without those small roles, the game has barely anything worth noting. I wouldn't even say it has enough of a story where the roles are very big at all.
Just because something isn't story-driven doesn't mean there's no story. And even if there's zero story at all, PP's relevance is still miniscule compared to Mario's, Peach's, Bowsers' or the Koopalings.

Actually, there's an implication and even some stories go with the blocks being transformed Toads. Even then, yeah, I'd say they're characters that play an important role in helping the player overcomes many adversaries. So another set of important roles too. Minor roles are still important to a story, you know. In fact, you seem to keep using the term important wrong. Important just means without that role, the story would fall flat. What you're looking for is the term "minor", which means the role is small, but doesn't lack importance. It's a lot more accurate than what you're saying.
I was trolling when I mentioned the blocks... didn't think you'd take the bait but k.
And minor is a good word to use. I can agree to that but even using the term 'minor role' still implies it holds less importance than the major roles. Things can be more important than other things and you're not understanding that. PP is not as important as Bowser. That's a fact. Do I have to post the definition of 'important' as well?

Geno isn't an All-Star in the Mario series. He's a single character in an obscure game. I love the character and all, but there's no point in pretending the game is that well known nor is Geno that recognizability. I don't say this to bash the guy either, of course. It's just being realistic. He hasn't earned the status of All-Star at all.
recognizability =/= importance.

Anyone that's important has the potential to be an all-star depending on the value they have to offer. Anyone that's recognizable doesn't.

PP has. People know who it is. It stands out within the series. It's the main plant guy. It has tons of species variants and tons of abilities. It actually does have some personality too. All-Star status has nothing to do with having tons of dialogue or purpose within a story. You don't need to have tons of personality. What they need is that people know who they are. They can pretend to remotely stand out in theory, but if a minority know who they are, what exactly makes them worth noting to the public enough to gain an All-Star Status. Even Marth was way more known than Geno, and Geno was released in more regions at the time. Which is saying something. Recognizability is key to the biggest degree possible. They have to be known first and foremost. Without that, they cannot stand out where it matters. All-Star, as the term, has nothing to do with "being important to a story in itself". That's great. But doesn't cut it alone. That just might makes it possible for them to become this. But then again, since any character who plays a role in a story holds importance to some degree, they all can potentially become one. And I can definitely say that PP is absolutely an All-Star. To pretend it isn't is just silly at this point. It's not a requested All-Star. That's the difference between it and others like Shadow. Unfortunately, Isaac is not one who is much of an All-Star these days either. Golden Sun is very niche, unfortunately. Tons of requests, but doesn't stand out among other rpg's for a good amount of the public. Heck, Banjo & Kazooie had more general All-Star status back then, standing out heavily(they lost a lot of it these days, but hopefully will build it up again at some point. I'm sure if they got in Smash, they'll be notable enough to the public to re-earn the title).
Hitler is recognizable. Does that make him an all-star? Again, asking for a friend.

If I were to properly refute this paragraph, I'd be repeating myself. I think I got the main points across above. Also, I hate that we're on the topic of all-stars because I've had Smash Mouth stuck in my head for a while now.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Is a Tetromino even a being? Not being facetious here, genuinely curious, I just assumed they were literal objects.

I think it'd be rad to see Tetris in the game in some form but I really don't think a playable rep is it. I'm all for creative quirky characters but that seems wholly unfaithful to the source material. Stage or assist absolutely, but like Monster Hunter, the series is represented more accurately elsewhere I think (the monsters themselves being notably more iconic than the protagonist). Just my take on it.
That, and the Tetris Company is so cheap that they make Square-Enix look like a redeemed Ebeneezer Scrooge. There's a reason why we only ever get the music from Tetris. Hell, it's a wonder that somebody at Sega somehow managed to find a loophole that allowed them to bring Puyo Puyo Tetris over here without invoking their wrath.

It'd be a miracle to get anything new from Tetris, let alone something playable.

Ohhhhhh, that's more clear. At least we saw Rosalina younger, I guess? I dunno. The fact it's a baby version could also mean her hair was changed in her later years, but it's still a shoehorn regardless.
She had to have beena baby at some point though.

As for how she was dressed. I dunno, maybe adult Rosalina decided to dress up baby Rosalina like herself to be cute.
... That makes baby Rosalina at least that little bit easier to swallow. I accept this headcanon.
New theory: baby Wario and baby Waluigi are barred from Mario Kart because people would want to play as cute babies, and not ugly ones.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
User was warned for this post
I figured since it’s the talking point I’d give my two cents:

**** Piranha Plant

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I greatly appreciate the Plant. It certainly has a unique moveset only it can bring and it swatted some very annoying arguments in the speculation community.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
That, and the Tetris Company is so cheap that they make Square-Enix look like a redeemed Ebeneezer Scrooge. There's a reason why we only ever get the music from Tetris. Hell, it's a wonder that somebody at Sega somehow managed to find a loophole that allowed them to bring Puyo Puyo Tetris over here without invoking their wrath.

It'd be a miracle to get anything new from Tetris, let alone something playable.
We barely got music, so that's true.

New theory: baby Wario and baby Waluigi are barred from Mario Kart because people would want to play as cute babies, and not ugly ones.
Ouch. Thank goodness Donkey Kong Jr. exists. :p There, they can get rid of the completely shoehorned in Baby Daisy and Baby Rosalina with just this one alone. At least the character has some merit to being added. Though I guess at this point, anything goes. I mean, sure, Metal Peach appeared well before Mario Kart... but only in a spin-off as well. Baby Daisy did at that point too, so cutting her for the sake of it is hypocritical at this point. I just hope the roster keeps it at best to metal clones, baby clones, has no more really shoehorned in ones like Cat Peach(seriously, that was just ridiculous when you had someone like Diddy Kong right. Freaking. There.) and adds some other spin-off guys. Like, well, Geno. Also, regular Piranha Plant as well. Petey's not enough. They're pretty darn different. The fact Dr. Mario has never appeared yet(who would've been way better than Tanooki Mario) is weird too.

The fact there's so many unique enemies in the Mario series(as well as Yoshi and Wario) and barely any got into Mario Kart as is is strange alone. At least Mario Tennis is helping that. Speaking of... when's the last Mario Golf game? Was that actually dropped or something? Cause I remember Golf and Tennis being effectively a pair of games in how they release. Two well known sports. I remember getting at least one of each per system(at least if the other existed). I actually just thought of this now. Maybe one simply got way better sales? Cause I doubt it was the Wii U version. It was overpriced yet lacked some basic content at times.

And yes, throw Geno into all these spin-offs too. The thing is, he just needs to be licensed. My guess is that animating his model for a game like that is probably fairly difficult right now, though him getting a good model in Smash might help alleviate that. It's also possible Square-Enix doesn't want to see him in sports/mini-game type things. It's their character, after all. Another way to look at it is Nintendo doesn't intend to promote Super Mario RPG in some way, so using Geno doesn't do anything in particular for them. The other characters in the spin-offs are still active within their main franchise, so a case of relevancy can be made here. That said, I think the only real issue alone is where SE will play ball. And that is not necessarily a sports joke.

I greatly appreciate the Plant. It certainly has a unique moveset only it can bring and it swatted some very annoying arguments in the speculation community.
It was a good wake-up call. The bar to get into Smash was never really high to begin with. Besides, we knew relevancy had some role to begin with. But only as a guideline. And it appears being from a relevant series can still help an irrelevant character(as shown by K. Rool). Really, the only bar is "from a video game franchise" at best. And we don't know if that'll stay a hard rule forever. It's the only one that isn't a fan rule.

Last edited:

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
Not to be that guy, but baby DK and DK Jr are two different characters. The latter of which to my knowledge has been absent since Diddy became a thing (bar cameos in the crowd of Mario Kart and in the N64 Mario Tennis.

Edit: fixed a horde of spelling errors that would make even Clippy blush.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I just realized, what would Geno's Star KO sound like? Is there a sound effect in SMRPG that could work? I guess it all depends on if he is voiced or not.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
That would be right up Sakurai's alley, too. Attention to detail.

I've come to the conclusion recently that a character that brings nothing new to the table mechanically shouldn't be put in the game at this point. I like to think there's a similar mindset over at Sora LTD, especially because popular characters that wouldn't have been especially unique were turned into Echo Fighters in this game instead of wasting time and resources fully-fleshing out someone who would never have an original moveset (Chrom).

You combine a unique shield animation with something like timed hits, and you've got yourself a character that's guaranteed to be unique. I don't think there's any other character in the Square Enix 7 lineup that could heavily differentiate themselves from the swordsman archetype already done to death besides Geno, and I think that's really good news.
What unique mechanic do you think Joker will bring? I've never played Persona 5, so i'm curious.
In regards to Sakurai choosing a Pokémon, I like to compare it to a trainer choosing their starter. Has anyone even done this kind of fan art yet? It feels like such an exploitable concept.

Besides, Decidueye was nearly considered for this go-round.
I find it interesting Primarina wasn't considered. I wonder if that means the next pokemon we get will be the grass starter 100%...

GreyJinjo

Smash Cadet
I just realized, what would Geno's Star KO sound like? Is there a sound effect in SMRPG that could work? I guess it all depends on if he is voiced or not.
what if instead of a regular star flashing, its the rainbow star with the punching sound you hear when you kill an enemy in SMRPG

TheBeastHimself

Hey guys. Feelin' a bit down in the dumps today.

It's not every day where the creator of a character outright tells you they won't be coming to Smash lol.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
I have a feeling that Square actively doesn't want Geno since he's not relwvant. :/
Thanks post #33,588 on page 840 of the Geno thread. None of us have ever taken this into consideration before.

Firox

Smash Master
I'm a little tired so apologies if my response doesn't correspond with the argument properly.

fix'd that for ya.

wut? Dude, Pokemon like Mewtwo, Deoxys or Celebi are automatically special because there, oh gosh... what's the word?

Legendary.
[insert Barney meme here]

Have you ever played Pokemon? Like, ever? Asking for a friend. To say that Mewtwo is not treated as anything more important than a Rattata is incredibly ignorant. Did you know that Pokemon have different stats? And did you know that Legendary Pokemon have higher stats than say a Rattata? And did you know that most Legendary Pokemon don't have evolutions because they're already overpowered monsters? They're different than you're "average mooks" because they have higher stats, they're stronger, they have a deeper relation to the lore of whatever region they came from and they're harder to catch and most of the time you can only catch one per game.

And you keep bringing up the movies and the mangas. That's irrelevent. We're talking about video games, not movies and manga that have no relationship to the canon of the games. At all so of course there's going to be some inconsistency.

Of course they are surprise additions. I'm not refuting that. I'm just pointing out that they are for different reasons. They're roles for getting in Smash could be the same by just falling under the WTF category but you're ignoring my point that they have significant roles in their games when bringing up WFT, DH or ROB which solidifies the idea of them being a good representative to their respective series that meant something to Nintendo's history and/or offered some silly gimmick associated with their franchises they appeared in.

Doesn't mean they offer the same challenge. PP is just something in the way. The Koopalings were bosses that required a bit more time and strategy to beat. Granted, not much strategy but a lot more than just sitting there and waiting for them to slide back down the pipe. They are not the same because they are characters that have a role. They are different characters with different roles. Some roles with more importance than others. It's not rocket appliances here, dude.

I can agree with you here. However, he plays a bigger role in Star Fox than Piranha Plant does in Mario. It's ridiculous to say otherwise.

You're really giving PP a lot more credit than it deserves. You could say that Falco offers little to the plot of the games, which is true but he is a character that still offers something because he has dialogue, a purpose and personality. PP has a lot less significant purpose and personalty than Fox and Falco.

No. Not same difference. Again, hey don't offer the same challenges. Some are easier than others and PP's is one of the easiest challenges ever.

Sit there and wait for it to disappear. Or throw a fireball at it. Just because they offer challenges doesn't mean the challenges are the same.

They're not as important as Bowser. That's what I'm saying. That's why Bowser got into Smash and a Goomba did not. I'm not gonna say mooks are not important, they're just not as important.

Barely.

I thought you said Mario didn't really have a story. ¯\_(o_O)_/¯

This isn't a JRPG where you gain experience or a heartfelt boxing movie. You can run past the little ******** and just race to the end. PP is not that big of a deal dude. He's a stock enemy. Something you can kill off quick. Something so insignificant and irrelevant that he could be replaced with something else and not many people would care. Replace Falco and you'd have a lot of disappointed fans of that character. Replace a Piranha Plant and barely anyone would bat an eye. Of course I'm sure you'd have some upset people but not nearly as much as these other characters you're comparing PP too.

I'll concede to the idea that PP is important if it helps gets my point across, but it's very very very little compared to the other characters we have mentioned.

We're discussing the importance the characters have to their respective series. Not the importance they have to Smash. We're talking about why PT got in and should be compared to why PP got in and should be. PT is a more important character to the Pokemon franchise than PP is to Mario.

Again, you're giving PP a lot more credit than he deserves. He's really not that cool or interesting, which is why he was relegated to being a generic basic enemy. Stop conflating the importance of generic enemies to major enemies that are bosses because that's a really silly stance to take. PP, Goombas and Koopas hold very little importance to story or plot than the Koopalings or Bowser because they're mooks.

Agree to disagree. If you want to think that random innocent Pokemon that you can chose to fight, catch or flee from than that's your choice man. The mooks imo are the villainous team grunts. Pokemon being mooks is irrelevant to the conversation anyways. I'm more interested in discussing the importance of PP.

No it does not. Read. It. Again...

Piranha plant was not this prior to his Smash inclusion. Please read more carefully next time.

Excuse me, 'actually is about recognizability'? Do you have a source for that? Because it feels like you're deliberately creating a definition for how the term all-stars is considered in Smash.

Most of the characters you see on the Smash Roster holds an outstanding or highly regarded performance in the series that they are representing (like the second definition of all-stars states). I've explained why ROB, DH and WFT are different but you keep ignoring those points and I'm done repeating myself. One being recognizable is not the same as being a significant part to the series you are from. You stand out by being recognizable, sure but that's not the only reason. Characters stand out by being something significant, standing for something, and offering an importance that other characters that exist in the series may not. PP may be an all star by your definition which is clearly fueled by some bias, but before he got in, calling him an all-star by the actual definition in the English dictionary is incredibly disingenuous and wrong.

recognizable =/= importance

Again, when using the actual definition of all-star, being recognizable is irrelevant. It all has to do with the importance and the influence you have to offer. You might as well say that Isaac has less importance in general than PP because Isaac is not as recognizable in regards to the term all-star. I literally posted the definition of the word and you're still not getting it. It's not rocket appliances, guys.

He stands out in the game though. He's an all-star in SMRPG based on the definition of the term. He was one of the main party characters for crying out loud. Not so much to the franchise, sure but we all know the obvious reasons why. Are you saying though that he's less important to the series because he's showed up in one game and less recognizable? Blasphemy.

It. Totally. Matters. Because their roles in Smash is not the same as their roles in the series they come from. Being a surprise character is not a good stand alone excuse to make a character a playable fighter. Nor is being a surprise character the stand alone reason why G&W, WFT, DH and ROB got in. There's more to those guys than just being wtf material as I have explained before because they mean something to the series they came from. Those guys are obscure additions that make sense. PP is a generic Mario enemy that offers little importance to its series.

lol wut? The hell you talking about?
Okay, so it sounds like you've never played a Pokemon game. Have you never played a Zelda game either? Because, they're the ****ing same. Did you know that Ganondorf can turn into Ganon? Crazy eh. When I said they're the same, I literally meant it. I didn't even imply anything related to Smash when I say that. Ganon is Ganondorf. They look different but they're the same entity.

I'm just going by the literal definition of the term, and that tells me you are wrong.

Regardless if the definition applies to sports, it can apply to video games. Mario and Mario 64 for example:

Outstanding highly regarded performer can be the same as being the protagonist in a sense. With field being either the game it self or the environment its set it. That's how I've always seen it but it's not really clear because, again, it's subjective.

Uhhh....

You said this... This is a quote from you... Is it 'almost' or is it 'there is no almost'? Make up your mind.

Just because something isn't story-driven doesn't mean there's no story. And even if there's zero story at all, PP's relevance is still miniscule compared to Mario's, Peach's, Bowsers' or the Koopalings.

I was trolling when I mentioned the blocks... didn't think you'd take the bait but k.
And minor is a good word to use. I can agree to that but even using the term 'minor role' still implies it holds less importance than the major roles. Things can be more important than other things and you're not understanding that. PP is not as important as Bowser. That's a fact. Do I have to post the definition of 'important' as well?

recognizability =/= importance.

Anyone that's important has the potential to be an all-star depending on the value they have to offer. Anyone that's recognizable doesn't.

Hitler is recognizable. Does that make him an all-star? Again, asking for a friend.

If I were to properly refute this paragraph, I'd be repeating myself. I think I got the main points across above. Also, I hate that we're on the topic of all-stars because I've had Smash Mouth stuck in my head for a while now.
Save your breath, Foz. Logic and reason just don't work on some ppl.

Hey guys. Feelin' a bit down in the dumps today.

It's not every day where the creator of a character outright tells you they won't be coming to Smash lol.
Which character/creator are we talking about here? Just curious.

TheBeastHimself

Which character/creator are we talking about here? Just curious.
Conker, Chris Seavor. Chris Seavor has no legal bearing over the squirrel as he is owned by Rare, but it's still a kick to the groin to hear that coming from Conker himself. I was able to talk to him on Twitter.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
Conker, Chris Seavor. Chris Seavor has no legal bearing over the squirrel as he is owned by Rare, but it's still a kick to the groin to hear that coming from Conker himself. I was able to talk to him on Twitter.
lol Ouch. That IS brutal.

TheBeastHimself

lol Ouch. That IS brutal.
Yeah but at the end of the day it's all good. That's just his opinion. Perhaps he's aware of things behind-the-scenes that the public isn't, but like I said, he's no longer affiliated with Rare, and by extension Conker. So this isn't an official deconfirmation by any means.

Firox

Smash Master
Yeah but at the end of the day it's all good. That's just his opinion. Perhaps he's aware of things behind-the-scenes that the public isn't, but like I said, he's no longer affiliated with Rare, and by extension Conker. So this isn't an official deconfirmation by any means.
Man, it's crazy when you think of what an awesome legacy Rare left behind. They single-handedly reimaged Donkey Kong as we know him today. They brought us Banjo-Kazooie and Conker's Bad Fur Day. It's too bad they couldn't have stayed with Nintendo.

TheBeastHimself

Yikes, TheBeastHimself TheBeastHimself , sorry you're having such a lame day for one of your most wanteds. Hang in there, buddy!
Thank you :)

I'm feeling better for two reasons: 1. Anything can still happen 2. Chris is working on a spiritual successor to Conker!

Also, Chris confirmed that if Conker did make it into Smash, he'd be back to voice him! One more thing, Conker's Bad Fur Day turned 18 yesterday, so at least he's now finally of age to play his own game!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom