• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
And there is also the fact that DK and DK Jr both appeared in the original Mario Tennis.
Well, that's why Miyamoto outright says that they're more like "actors". It's also probably better to not treat the spin-off sports as actually having any proper continuity. Even if Mario Kart implies DK Jr. becomes the current DK from the transition between Super Mario Kart and Mario Kart 64...

TheBeastHimself TheBeastHimself I suggest not even trying to think there's a true timeline in Mario. At best, there's a few connected stories. The way I feel it could be is that Cranky Kong is the original Arcade DK, DK Jr. is his son, and current Donkey Kong's father. Baby Donkey Kong is the actual current Donkey Kong. That seems to make a lot of sense. Even if it means in some games DK Jr. just stops competing entirely(from SMK to MK64) and lets his son do the work. There is a possible thought that DK Jr. did become the current DK... for a while, then his son took over the role. Like, you could perhaps say in the Mario games, the latest DK entered the fray(as DK Jr.'s son, to clarify) around the Wii era. Alternatively... just don't try and think it out. It's too illogical. Even the Zelda timeline has less holes.

D

Deleted member

Well Christ. I come back from work and notice a whopping 30 alerts. Thank you guys for actually taking the time to read my posts. You guys almost have as much time on your hands reading them as much as I do typing them. ;)

And hey, Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth . I was thinking about our discussion today at work and I feel like I came off a bit harsh last night in my last rebuttal. I'm still sticking to my guns but I just wanted you to know that I apologize if I came off as a bit of a **** and I meant no disrespect or harm to your credibility or knowledge. I was a little tired... and a little drunk. We cool dog?

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Well, that's why Miyamoto outright says that they're more like "actors". It's also probably better to not treat the spin-off sports as actually having any proper continuity. Even if Mario Kart implies DK Jr. becomes the current DK from the transition between Super Mario Kart and Mario Kart 64...

TheBeastHimself TheBeastHimself I suggest not even trying to think there's a true timeline in Mario. At best, there's a few connected stories. The way I feel it could be is that Cranky Kong is the original Arcade DK, DK Jr. is his son, and current Donkey Kong's father. Baby Donkey Kong is the actual current Donkey Kong. That seems to make a lot of sense. Even if it means in some games DK Jr. just stops competing entirely(from SMK to MK64) and lets his son do the work. There is a possible thought that DK Jr. did become the current DK... for a while, then his son took over the role. Like, you could perhaps say in the Mario games, the latest DK entered the fray(as DK Jr.'s son, to clarify) around the Wii era. Alternatively... just don't try and think it out. It's too illogical. Even the Zelda timeline has less holes.
That's a digestible way of putting it, a lot less confusing. I don't even think people should argue over what is canon and what isn't because everything makes no sense and is completely illogical. Too many timelines, too many games that can be considered canon and non-canon. Too many genders assigned to Birdo. It's all just too much!

E. Gadd mixed the timelines together, I assume.
Partners in Time screwed up everything!

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

The thing about Mario Kart and DK Jr is that he cameo's in the audience of Wario Stadium. So him growing into the current DK is likely not the case. But as you say, it does not really matter too much for this very loose Mario canon.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well Christ. I come back from work and notice a whopping 30 alerts. Thank you guys for actually taking the time to read my posts. You guys almost have as much time on your hands reading them as much as I do typing them. ;)

And hey, Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth . I was thinking about our discussion today at work and I feel like I came off a bit harsh last night in my last rebuttal. I'm still sticking to my guns but I just wanted you to know that I apologize if I came off as a bit of a **** and I meant no disrespect or harm to your credibility or knowledge. I was a little tired... and a little drunk. We cool dog?
We were always cool. You made your point, and despite us disagreeing, you weren't mean or unreasonable about it. We simply didn't see eye to eye on it. I felt there was little left to say anymore. We were at an impasse. I also couldn't really speak more on it due to being tired and such. I feel it's better to just leave it be. I admit I scrolled over your last post, but that was more due to realizing it was better to agree to disagree. I should've tagged you saying that.

I'll make sure to fully read the post in just a bit. For the record, I write stories a lot, so to me, a story is important by having tons of stuff the characters do. Every bit role plays an important part, if you will. So it's my opinion, as a writer, that there is no such thing as an "unimportant role". I absolutely agree not every role holds the same exact importance. I hope you got what I meant that "the lack of enemies makes for a bad game". I admit I probably repeated my points with way too many words.

The thing about Mario Kart and DK Jr is that he cameo's in the audience of Wario Stadium. So him growing into the current DK is likely not the case. But as you say, it does not really matter too much for this very loose Mario canon.
That's more or less why I think more or less that Baby DK is the current DK right now. Though yeah, that pretty much changes the MK64 factor. Thanks for pointing that out. I had that theory for years, but nobody ever looked into any details to see if it made sense. Though that said, the only real thing that was at best made clear is that Cranky Kong was Arcade DK. Anything beyond that is "who knows". But yeah, the canon is more loose than if a Groose was firing it(I hope you get the meme).

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I have just realized, have we ever seen Mario and Cranky Kong(As he is now) interact?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The lesson of the day is "It's a movie/show/game, I should really just relax".

E. Gadd mixed the timelines together, I assume.
Kamek and adult Bowser further mucking things up didn't help.

That's a digestible way of putting it, a lot less confusing. I don't even think people should argue over what is canon and what isn't because everything makes no sense and is completely illogical. Too many timelines, too many games that can be considered canon and non-canon. Too many genders assigned to Birdo. It's all just too much!
Nah, that last one is just localization choices (in France, Birdo remains a trans dude). Still beats what was done for the initial English AND French dubs for Sailor Moon...

I have just realized, have we ever seen Mario and Cranky Kong(As he is now) interact?
At least once. Granted, it was just for a formal award ceremony.

Last edited:

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
I’ve been gone for a while due to school and putting my focus into other stuff, but I’m still hoping that Geno does have a good chance of making it and if he does, I’ll probably faint.
Hey, welcome back! You actually just missed two important details not too long ago, and these were noted by @ShotoStar and NintendoKnight NintendoKnight . I recommend that you should read these! Trust me, it's worth your time. :)

Erdrick, Geno & Leakbait: Phew, I'm finally done. Good day everyone I am here to finally post my Speculation Piece I was mentioning yesterday I worked hard on it and stayed up all night last night working on it so I'll probably take a nap after I finish posting it but I'm here to Speculate on the whole SE rep situation, notably Erdrick, Geno & Leakbait so without further ado let's begin. Also side note it's a very long read so I suggest you read at your own pace.

Before we Begin let's define what Leakbait is and what it's used for, Leakbait is the process of a few Employees spreading false information to root out Leakers and catch them redhanded.

Now Let's examine the "Incineroar is Leakbait" theory the community had going while the Grinch Hoax was still alive, it didn't make sense for Incineroar to
be leakbait for one simple reason, when companies do leakbait they usually send out multiple names which wasn't the case for Incineroar but is indeed what happened with the Seven Square names. You would've thought if Incineroar was leakbait some people would've heard "Mimikyu, Decidueye, Lycanroc, Alolan Raichu, Alolan Pokemon Trainer" and so on but no, we had a consistant answer of it being Incineroar.

The Opposite is what's happening with the Square rep we saw Spawn Wave make hints towards Sora being revealed at the TGA's, We saw a few leaks say Chrono namely This one and The JSon Leak. And of course Verge, Polar/Xenother and Tansut claiming Erdrick. That's the difference between "Incineroar is Leakbait!" and "Erdirck Might be Leakbait" it fits the Criteria of Leakbait, which the Incineroar situation did not.

"Okay But Nintendo and Namco Never Use Leakbait!"

Well actually that wouldn't be true cause of SF:Grand Prix being an Industry Hoax which tricked everyone and Namco putting out Leakbait for Tekken 7 Why does Namco Matter? It proves both companies can use Leakbait and will if the Circumstances call for it and with Leakers leaking what was basically the entire Base Roster for Smash Ultimate I can see a timeline where they say "You know what? they leaked the entire roster let's start using leakbait".

Also interesting note before we move on, and this may just be my bias but the Namco tweet says something like "Which is Why Akuma, Neese, Noctis nor Negan ever got leaked" Who's one character off of the Square list that hasn't gotten even a Single leak besides an insider within NoA itself? Geno. I mean after the Square Seven came out btw not before cause of course there were "Leaks" for Geno. It likely doesn't mean anything but it's funny non-the-less.

So they Can and Will Leakbait if under the right Circumstances and the Square Seven could be called into questioning as what if it is indeed Leakbait? it
fits under the criteria for it.

I can't really go against much of what Verge has said about the Square rep except for obviously it not being the first one revealed, we all saw what happened and that maybe it isn't Erdrick but instead Geno. Verge seems to be very Careful about what he puts out there on much of his Smash News but I can still argue for why somethings seem fishy around here.

First off there is so much conflicting information between Leakers and people in general, People first thought that Erdrick must have been his Taller Design
and to be revealed first, that didn't happen so people were thinking he'd obviously be the second character.

Even when the Brave leak came out and it was suggested to be a Short Zoner character people changed their views and thought that Erdrick must be his Chibi Design and use a lot of Magic and such, but Tansut said that Erdrick would come with his Fem Alt yet She doesn't have a Chibi Design so they'd just make a brand-new design for her right on the spot? Not a Single Character in the entire roster to date has had that privilege and with Square being super
stingy I don't think they'd have THAT much cooperation.

Every character that has had an Alt their Alt already previously existed Wire-Frame Mac existed and didn't need a brand new design,Over-alls Wario already Existed, Fem Robin already Existed, Fem Corrin Already Existed and all of them could fit with the Characters without needing to go out of the way to fit
the model by making a new design.

Just remembered the two 5Chan leaks claimed that Alucia and Fem Erdrick will be Alts for Erdrick which again doesn't make sense cause If Namco who is making the game only allows Pac-Man to have colors change on his gloves & Shoes only what makes you think the company who only gave Sakurai One Character, One Stage, Two Songs and Four Spirits (Including the two Fighter Spirits) would make a brand new design for Sakurai to use? that just seems like nonsense.

"Okay but that's the only thing that doesn't add up!"

Nope there's even more, Most Insiders are saying that Erdrick will be the Second or at most Third DLC Character meanwhile a few weeks ago or so Tansut said that Erdrick just started Development so he wouldn't be revealed for awhile which seems to suggest that he'd be the 4th/5th character so people are even conflicted about the release schedule.

Let's even examine the list itself, Having three DQ reps is a very weird thing. You don't see KH getting three characters nor even two, You don't even see
Lara Croft on the list, nor 2B, Edea, Etc. Yet there's three whole DQ Reps it's very weird sure you can make an argument for it being cause there's a
different Protag every game but Slime isn't really needed to be in the List cause it's in DQ3 and DQ11 yet it's still there, I can't really put my finger
on it but it's Strange and maybe they're putting multiple DQ reps out there cause it's not DQ or maybe it's actually Slime.

Meanwhile remember when I said that the Square list might be Leakbait? well Verge also said Geno is Leakbait if the list was sent out by Square and they
said Geno is Leakbait wouldn't it make sense if it's the reverse and the List is Leakbait but Geno is not? I think that would make more sense than them being completely honest especially with all these inconsistencies. We even have an actual NoA insider who has not been wrong a single time in the past say that there's been talk about Geno, I can't Imagine there would be talk of Geno outside of Smash be it a Mii Costume or an actual Playable Character.

Geno wouldn't even make sense to be Leakbait as Companies use Leakbait in order to lower people's expectations only to reveal something people have been wanting, that would be the reverse for this situation. They use Geno, somebody people have been wanting for a Decade+ as Leakbait only to reveal Erdrick who is very Niche outside of Japan and to be added in Smash partly to advertise DQ to the West it wouldn't make sense for this to be the case in fact it would make sense for it to be the Reverse.

Yes while Both are Very Niche Geno still has worldwide appeal and a fanbase everywhere while Erdrick's fanbase mainly comes from one part of the world, Japan. Erdrick does have fans in America/Europe/UK but the majority of his and DQ's fanbase comes from Japan while it's pretty evenly spread across the world with Geno.

I think in the end the reverse of this situation would make more sense and they're just lying about Geno being Leakbait as it doesn't fit how Leakbait is usually done with the more popular and rewarding outcome usually being the one they hide under the veil of Leakbait.

"Okay fine but What does Geno have that Erdrick doesn't?"

Three Words: In-Game Evidence. With Piranha Plant joining so too did a ton of SMRPG references being Smilax in the Palutena guidence, Piranha Plant's Classic Mode being a SMRPG reference, even earlier with Geno & Mallow being Spirits, one of the new Bowser themes having a bit from SMRPG, Etc.

Even outside of Ultimate there's also a SMRPG Reference in Yoshi's Crafted World and also The Tweet by Nintendo, The Trivia Question with Smash being referenced in the beginning of the game, the Smash 4 Mii Costume, the Super Mario Kun Story, Etc. which is a very big contrast to a Decade ago when Nintendo refused to even mention SMRPG.

I'm not claiming to say that this means Geno will be in Smash but it at least shows that Nintendo realizes SMRPG has a very big and Strong cult following
inside and outside of Smash.

So Nintendo Knows but does Sakurai? he without a shadow of a doubt knows of Geno's Popularity as he stated he added the Geno Mii Costume cause of his Popularity Also cause he wanted Geno in Brawl and likely wanted him in Sm4sh but it didn't pan out within Smash 4. He Saw the move-set potential within Geno and wanted him so he is likely a fan of his. this isn't speculation you can specifically see him State he wanted Geno here.

Even Square-Enix knows Geno is Popular cause they put Geno on the list instead of some huge and Iconic Character like Lara Croft/They "leaked" Geno over Lara that proves that at the very least they know Geno is popular and heavily requested for Smash.

So All Parties know Geno is Popular and Polar's NoA contact has heard Geno mumblings around NoA. With Every Party Knowing of his Popularity. Sakurai wanting him for a Decade at this point plus Sakurai adding Fan Favorites I think Nintendo can do Sakurai a Solid and add Geno unless something happens and Square begins to throw a tantrum I see why not. Every Party involved know Geno is Popular, Geno fits within Sakurai's choice of adding fan favorites this time around and Sakurai even wanted Geno and he doesn't seem to be the kind of person who would give up easily. Those things are massive points towards Geno.

"Okay but Geno doesn't fit as DLC"

I disagree with that, From what I've gathered most people seem to think that Nintendo will add Characters that appeal to people who might not have bought Smash yet but here's the thing in my opinion it makes more sense for Nintendo to focus on adding Fan Favorites or Characters that will appeal to both audiences/a Mix of both.

As if you focus on people who haven't bought Smash yet there's no guarantee that those people will buy Smash + the Fighter's Pass as that would be
75 Dollars right there. Some might not even HAVE a Switch so they would have to buy a 300$ Console + a 60$ game + a 25$ DLC Season that rounds up to 375$ just for one game and DLC I heavily doubt People would do that Meanwhile if you do a blend of both or focus on your core audience you'd have GUARANTEED Sales instead of "Let's hope they buy our stuff and hope our core audience like the DLC" I for one will likely skip the DLC if Geno/Banjo aren't in so I'm sure some are like that for their characters.

Your entire Core Audience being guaranteed to buy the DLC or Appealing to people who might not have bought Smash Ultimate or even a Switch, I think it would make more sense for them to do the first and mix in a few DLC characters that also appeal to other fanbases, Geno would appeal to your core audience.

Even then let's say Sakurai did in fact push for Geno in Base Game they could be withholding Geno for DLC cause of Square prioritizing Money more than
playing Nice.

Even Brave's Stats fit Geno with the apparent Short Zoner playstyle, The Sliding, The Wide Shield Size, Etc. Brave just feels like Geno to me, it feels like
what Geno would feel like and play like. Short Zoner fits Geno's Description perfectly with him being slightly shorter than Mario being accurate to Geno's
size and Geno obviously being a Zoner. The sliding cause Geno is Wooden and Wood has a lot of traction. The Wide Shield Size being cause maybe Geno's Cape is flowing outwards making the shield size bigger.

While DQ isn't as complicated as we initially thought Nintendo and Sakurai already have the rights to Geno and supposedly SMRPG so why go out and go through Square-enix and Toriyama when you have a Fan Favorite Character right there one that people have been requesting since Brawl at the latest! People have been wanting Geno for a Decade and they have the right to Geno and Super Mario RPG so why not use them? Not even Nintendo is that dumb. They HAVE to know what they have right in front of them and how important Geno is to a decent size of the Smash fanbase. It is a fact at this point that they have the rights to SMRPG for Smash Use.

In-Game evidence, Reputable NoA contacts saying Geno, All Parties knowing Geno is Popular, References inside and outside of Smash Ultimate, Geno fitting in as DLC, Brave's Stats, They already have the Rights, Etc. There ARE things going for Geno.

"Okay but the Brave Codename doesn't fit Geno" That's the thing! Codenames shouldn't be obvious, they're supposed to loosely tie into the character
and to not be super obvious at first glace but with hindsight or the more you think about other options it starts to make sense, Brave's relation to Erdrick
is too obvious and it doesn't really hide the character's identity well which a good codename should. I really do think it's too obvious, Maybe it is
Erdrick but something seems weird about it.

I think both Geno and Erdrick could make sense for being Brave and I'm not even Saying Erdrick isn't Brave but it's kind of weird, I think we need to look
outside of the box as the saying goes for this one. Maybe we're putting too much emphasis on the Codename and not enough emphasis on the Data sure things could always change but it's more solid than trying to make sense of the Codename when it's there to throw you off of who it's going to be in the first place.

The Data can change but it's entire playstyle cannot change for either it's super early into development or something went terribly wrong, The Apparent
Playstyle suggests it to be a Zoner which fits with Geno or other characters, not so much Erdrick. the entire playstyle did not change for Piranha Plant
nor did it likely change for Joker so unless we can prove otherwise I think it's safe to guess maybe it will change but nothing drastic enough for it to
change the Character's entire archetype.

I simply think we're looking at it from the wrong angle, Maybe Brave really is Geno.

People heavily underestimate Geno and basically act like he's deconfirmed when that's simply not the case in fact I would go so far as to say he's
the second most likely Square rep right behind Erdrick himself. Geno simply has stuff going for him that other characters do not and the information coming out for Erdrick contradicts itself by some saying he'll be revealed next or soon, some saying he'll be revealed as one of the last DLC characters. Some saying he'll have only his fem alt and some saying his fem alt + Alucia when neither characters have Chibi Designs which Erdrick must be if the Square rep is indeed next, I don't think Square would make brand new designs for Smash as they've been very stingy in regards to the game so far. It's rather unlikely. I think Something is definitely up and if you add in all of the Contradictions Erdrick seems suspicious at the very least.

Nintendo already has the rights to the character and the rights to use SMRPG stuff within Smash not even Nintendo is stupid enough to not do anything with them, they already Know Geno is popular and highly requested they wouldn't just let him go unused they'd at least give us the Mii costume if not make him playable not to mention the composer from SMRPG is on board for Smash. Simply put Geno is without a doubt the easiest Square rep to get as everything is laid out right in-front of them they just have to get the go ahead by Square. Every party involved know that Geno is popular so they wouldn't just leave him as a Spirit and do nothing at least they'd give us the Mii Costume if not a Character so I do not think this is all that's left for Geno, I think something is coming I just don't know what.

Geno may not have anything to advertise but he and Super Mario RPG is important to Nintendo and Square's history together as that was Nintendo and Square's first huge collaboration and their last big game for Nintendo before they went non-exclusive so by adding him it would be a nice way to tie up loose ends and would be a symbol of their relationship prospering.

Even everything going on with Brave seems to fit with how Geno would play, a Short Zoner is exactly how this guy would play. Geno is short like slightly
smaller than Mario which fits the height and Geno's main attacking method is using beams and bullets which would be how a Zoner plays. The Sliding even makes sense with Geno as wood has a lot of traction. The Shield Size also makes sense as it would have to be very wide yet we don't know what position the Character is in so who's to say it isn't Geno and his cape is simply flowing back making the shield size bigger, there really isn't anything debunking it nor is there anything to support that claim. If the Square rep is brave I think it might be Geno.

Geno is a unique case as he's a huge outlier for the List so we don't exactly know how likely or unlikely he really is we could be down and be depressed
thinking Geno will never get in but behind the scenes he's the frontrunner, we'd never know that cause he's in such a strange position with Smash and within
Square reps itself. He's kind of irrelevant but there's also so many symbolic reasons to add him and with such a huge fanbase Geno lives on within the
fandom's hearts so he's never really dead. at the very least we can all see that Geno will get in eventually be it the fighters pass, Misc DLC or even Smash
6. Geno is in a very weird position and we can never truly understand how likely or unlikely he really is.

Geno is a strange character as he has many things going for him and somethings not even Erdrick or Sora have yet we can't really predict how likely or
unlikely he is as he's a massive outlier for the list of Square reps, maybe he really is the frontrunner or maybe he's never been discussed we truly cannot
tell for sure all we can do is hope for the best, but with everything going on it seems mighty suspicious.

Something is definitely going on I'm telling Y'all, Geno might actually be more likely than we give him credit for yet we'll never know for sure until the
Square rep is revealed. Maybe Erdrick is indeed leakbait with all the inconsistencies surrounding him so unless Leakers get their story straight and exactly what's going on with Erdrick I'm gonna have to start assuming most of the reason they thought Erdrick was likely is cause of the Brave Datamine, There's simply too much inconsistencies to ignore. Also I have nothing against Insiders and Leakers I'm just saying people should stop taking their words as gospel, they're just as in the dark as we are only that they get information sooner and maybe we're wrong and the Square rep is actually Geno, finally.

"Why would they even Choose Geno? He's not relevant nor would he advertise anything"

Simple, Geno is a symbol of a time where Square and Nintendo were best buddies and when Square was developing games exclusively for Nintendo so Geno would be a character that would symbolize a reuniting of Square and Nintendo in a sense. Fun Fact: SMRPG was Square's last big game before leaving to develop for Playstation so it would make sense for him to bring it back around. Not to mention the fact that he's a fan favorite and they might just MIGHT want to do something nice for the fans this one time, that or Sakurai made a really good deal towards Square.

"Didn't SMRPG Flop?"

No Actually it was the 19th best selling Super Nintendo game of all time and sold 2.1M copies which outdid Kirby Super Star, Chrono Trigger, Super Street
Fighter 2, Super Metroid, Final Fantasy IV, Dragon Quest III, Super Ghouls and Goblins and even Megaman X. So no by no means did it flop. Not to mention people would've played it on the Wii and Wii U virtual Console + The SNES Classic and Emulation so by all means we know more than 2M people played SMRPG.

"Square doesn't care about the fans they'd rather put in someone who they could advertise."

Sure that is indeed the case but just cause they don't care doesn't mean Nintendo and Sakurai don't care In-Fact I would say they do care about what the fans want this time around so there's nothing saying Sakurai and Nintendo didn't strike a mutually beneficial deal with Square for Geno and that they took it. We simply don't know all of the details so there's nothing going either way, Maybe they struck a deal maybe they didn't.

With all this said and done I want to clarify something, I do not dislike DQ fans nor do I dislike DQ in general I simply want to defend my boy Geno with all my might cause he's a good character and I think he should get in, If both got in I would be more than Satisfied with that I would celebrate with DQ fans and Square fans in general as we both got what we wanted and I would be happy for you guys. So yeah if you have the misconception that I dislike DQ fans, I don't so just letting y'all know that. Cya.
Holy crap, guys, just realized something.

If Brave is Geno, why does he have a wider shield? Well, when most characters block, they usually contract their shape and pull their limbs inward to assume guarding position. Why would this be different with Geno?

Because whenever Geno guards in SMRPG, he extends his arm OUTWARDS; he doesn't pull himself closer like most other characters! This would explain why his shield is wider: to compensate for his arm sticking out forward! It make sense!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
While we're on the topic of inconsistencies, there is one right in SMRPG itself; Luigi isn't found anywhere in the entire world, yet he leads the parade in the ending!

I just wish there was a hack of the game that made use of these nice custom sprites for him I've seen in Mario Fan Games Galaxy.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
While we're on the topic of inconsistencies, there is one right in SMRPG itself; Luigi isn't found anywhere in the entire world, yet he leads the parade in the ending!

I just wish there was a hack of the game that made use of these nice custom sprites for him I've seen in Mario Fan Games Galaxy.
You can find a wish from Luigi on Star Hill.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace

There has been before. I remember seeing an old video about a SMRPG hack where Luigi was the playable protagonist and was a little bit taller than Mario, and he had Bowser and Geno at his side in battle... I haven't seen that video in years and still can't find it. Here's an early picture that did have Luigi in SMRPG during its old development.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Off-topic for a moment, but it seems the next Labo item will be VR glasses:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...kit_introduces_vr_gaming_on_switch_this_april

Let's hope they turn out a little better than the Virtual Boy, eh?

You can find a wish from Luigi on Star Hill.
I know of that. Talking physical presence, of course.

There has been before. I remember seeing an old video about a SMRPG hack where Luigi was the playable protagonist and was a little bit taller than Mario, and he had Bowser and Geno at his side in battle... I haven't seen that video in years and still can't find it. Here's an early picture that did have Luigi in SMRPG during its old development.

That would have been nice. In any case, you do get to see Luigi in a bit part, for SMRPG Armageddon.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, what sort of plot concept would you want to see put in a Mario RPG. Could be SMRPG, Paper Mario or M&L. Personally, I have always wanted to see the Mario series try out an alternate universe plot. It would kinda be like how Mario & Luigi met up with their past and paper selves in the M&L series, except it would be an entirely brand new version of the Mario universe and characters.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
You know, what sort of plot concept would you want to see put in a Mario RPG. Could be SMRPG, Paper Mario or M&L. Personally, I have always wanted to see the Mario series try out an alternate universe plot. It would kinda be like how Mario & Luigi met up with their past and paper selves in the M&L series, except it would be an entirely brand new version of the Mario universe and characters.
You mean Like the Mario Brothers meet Bowsette or something?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You mean Like the Mario Brothers meet Bowsette or something?
It could be anything for all I care. Opposite morality, opposite gender, whatever. I would just love to see Nintendo twist the world of Mario a little bit.
Though, your comment does remind me of an art piece I saw some time ago that made me think of the possibility of an opposite gender version of the Mario universe.

https://www.deviantart.com/dishwasher1910

I bet a female version of Mario would be called Maria. Just fits too well.

D

Deleted member

ZelDan

Smash Master
Through some weird circumstances I'm not creative enough to think of right now, Mario & Luigi and Wario & Waluigi have to begrudgingly team up to stop some great evil power.

characters/enemies and maybe some locales from both the Mario and Wario series would show up.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
You know, I'm still insanely certain about Erdrick coming, but with ShotoStar's speculation post, it makes me wonder...

What if we're getting both of them?

Erdrick has been heard so much with conflicting specifics that he may be on the way, but he either 1) isn't our first new Square rep, 2) is our first, but not only, new one, and his name is being thrown around after the internal leak Tansut mentioned as to divert attention from the second new rep, or 3) isn't even our Square rep, despite still being in.

"Wait, Oval, that makes no sense. He is a Square rep. He belongs to that company, stupid."

Hold on a moment, folks. Note how all of the reps in the Square reps list are legitimately Square reps except for the DQ ones. What about those? Those are Enix reps. They're part of the Enix side of Square. The rest of them (debatably barring Sora) are part of the Squaresoft half. What if we're getting Erdrick, but he isn't our Square rep because of this part being a technicality? He's not a Square rep, but an Enix rep, and while he is coming, he is not the Square rep. Of course Geno would be leak bait in such a case. Like, duh, he's not an Enix rep. He's a Square rep. You'd think to lump DQ in with the rest of those, and with Erdrick having already been leaked, then yeah, whatever. Let that name fly. It'll detract from the fact that he's more considered an Enix rep and an actual Squaresoft rep is on the way, as well, even if not necessarily in the Fighter's Pass.

After all, wouldn't it be clever to make good use of their shortcomings in Erdrick's leak to throw people off of Geno's path? It'd explain the sheer amount of names with Geno being specifically an 'iffy name'. It'd explain the NoA rumor. Copyright-wise, Erdrick and Geno are under the same Square Enix umbrella, but that tiny technicality could be used to their advantage to deter leakers.

... but that is my extremely tinfoil hat theory. It's 99% not the case. If anything, the first two are more likely if we are getting both Erdrick and Geno. Between those, the very first is the most likely with the second stretching it.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
I agree, that'd be fun. I also think it's time for a new "dark" villain. We haven't seen a villain like one of those since Dimentio (While Fawful from BiS and the Dark Star came next, they weren't as dark and clever as Dimentio). As for a returning villain, I hope one day Smithy returns with an even bigger army. Only the gateway (Exor) to his dimension was destroyed, the factory is still intact and can be used again by the others at Smithy's homeworld. Another gateway (Exor) can be rebuilt, and this has been proven to be true because Mach, Bowyer, Yaridovich, and the Axem Rangers were rebuilt at the factory but were called "Machine Made". Hopefully we just see a new villain in general, and I hope they do bring a new villain that always brought that dark feeling to the story, like the Shadow Queen, Dimentio, Fawful, and the Dark Star.

Smithy doesn't even have to be fully operational again, he could be like Meta-Cooler and have multiple clones of himself and they're all controlled by his core, which would be within his dimension right where he was defeated in the first game; his square head could literally just be the core, except it's bigger than his previous head and summons magic from his core. Smithy could also work like a hive mind. Once Smithy returns and is defeated once again, that's it, no more. It'll be time for another villain to rise and take his place; having the same villain every game can get boring.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Here comes the wall, ladies 'n gents!
--------------------------------------------

Wow, I'm super surprised this never got linked onto the front page of the thread. GaMetal (I think he just goes by JohnnyAtma now?) did what was basically a tribute to SMRPG in guitar/GaMetal form. It's super sick man, check it out.

When it gets to Geno, he has almost a WWE level of oomph for a introduction.

I would give honorable mention to Sora and Crash, but I don't think they're likely spots for this round of DLC and my be used as big reveals for the next smash game (regardless if it's a port or otherwise).

My gut tells me the remaining characters are Banjo, Doomguy, Erdrick, and a true toss-up between Ryu H. and Lloyd.
What in the heck makes you think Sora isn't in the running? The longest-awaited KH titled dropped in late Jan and made a crap ton of money despite how poor quality it is, and Nomura has stated that story DLC is on it's way and rumoredly that when the DLC is done production on KH4 will start in 2020. Add in that the Secret Ending basically hints at even more Square franchises being pushed for KH's future and a possible straying from Disney content, which then puts KH in a spot where it can pseudo-advertise other Square franchises and has less issues with Disney, and you can see why Sora would be a prime-time choice for Smash DLC to strike while the KH iron is hot!

Also, on the topic of Geno being more likely than other characters, I think that most characters have a solid chance to make it and that Geno isn't more likely than anyone else...but the more I think about it, the more it seems he is more likely than Erdrick as long as Nintendo is playing their cards right.

Let's think about this real quick: what does Erdrick have going for him in all honesty? No character really has evidence or anything that 'proves' they will get a spot, so all we can do is grab things that might be a factor in why they were chosen. So Erdrick, what does he have in this regard? Well...

• Is the main character of one the most (if not THE most) successful games in Japan
  • Being one of the most popular characters from one of the most beloved series in Japan
  • Dragon Quest being a series that defined the genre for JRPGS
  • Being from a JRPG there is a lot that can be pulled from for a moveset
  • Expanding on this, Dragon Quest is known for monster taming, so this gives more potential uniqueness to Erdrick than soem other JRPGS
  • Square loves to have Nintendo push the series in the West and would likely push for a Dragon Quest rep for Smash if they were in talks for another rep
  • Sakurai loves Dragon Quest and specifically Dragon Quest III and Sakurai also loves Persona and both Smash Ultimate has heavy influence from Persona 5 style and Joker is our first DLC character
Notice I did not mention anything about leaks or leakers or datamines because frankly leakers are nothing concrete and are just random people saying they know something before we do and are often wrong. 'Brave' is not a point in Erdrick's favor because codenames are meant to lead you astray and mask their identity so having a codename that directly references the translation of Erdrick's name would be foolish and thus being such an obvious connection is more of a negative than a positive, but since Nintendo could have flubbed it it's a neutral point overall.

So, what does Erdrick have going against him? Well...

• Most of Smashes sales come from the West, mostly the US. Dragon Quest has only gotten a small recent boost in popularity here and still isn't nearly as big as other JRPGs, meaning a Dragon Quest rep isn't the most lucrative choice despite arguments of marketing and advertisement
  • With Dragon Quest being rather small in the US, since there is no recent game that features Erdrick that has released in the West, Erdrick's familiarity in the US is extremely low, leaving it to the most die-hard fans and those in leak speculation like us, meaning that the vast majority of US gamers do not know of Erdrick
  • Playing off this, it's a much more lucrative decision to pick Luminary or Slime as a Dragon Quest rep over Erdrick as they are better known in the West
  • Playing off of this again, he is not a fan requested character in either the West nor the East in comparison to other picks, and Japan loves him and his game, yet they also desire choices like Banjo, Bandanna Dee and Geno, and Slime is up there but not big in their wishes whereas Erdrick seems to be an afterthought, proving that Slime would be the best choice overall if you were to pick a Dragon Quest rep
  • Erdrick does not have worldwide iconic status, and Sakurai has been on record stating he is running out of character with worldwide iconic status, suggesting Sakurai is looking for those first when not looking at fan requests. This is a double against Erdrick because he has neither global iconic status nor heavy fan demand
  • Erdrick's iconic weapon setup is a sword and shield, and while he has many other options, Sakurai is known for taking the core icon of the character when putting them in Smash. Sakurai has been on record stating that swordwielders are a difficult challenge to consistently make unique, and while Erdrick has a lot to pull from, it may not be enough in the eyes of Sakurai with the flood of complaints behind the archetype
  • Since Erdrick has little familiarity in the US and is not a fan request across the board, his inclusion would come off as a marketing ploy by Square. Corrin was received very poorly and was the least-purchased DLC character for Smash 4 because of the combination of oversaturation from both a franchise and an archetype as well as being a character that was unknown to Western audiences as the game had not been released yet and was thus seen as a 'shill pick' despite Fire Emblem being a big series in the West and Corrin being rather unique in design. Erdrick does not benefit from being from a equally well-known series in the West but does still suffer from falling into the same archetype and have the air of being a 'shill pick' but also has the added issue of being from Square which Western audiences already have a negative opinion of
  • Erdrick has more hoops to jump through and figureheads to meet with just to get himself into the game, nevermind both having a stage and music, than most character options available, meaning that more work would be done for a character that is setup to have an underwhelming release in the area of the world where you get most of your money
  • Expanding on this, Sugiyama isn't the most pleasant fellow and has something against his best work getting into Western hands. While Dragon Quest XI S may in fact have gotten the orchestral music, this was an agreement reached for the main series where Sugiyama's work can shine the most, not for a crossover game where Dragon Quest and Sugiyama's work are alongside that of many other franchises that are also amazing and in a game not developed by Armour Project and not published by Square, meaning we could still have an issue getting quality Dragon Quest music for Ultimate
There may be some other talking points I missed, but I think that covers all of them. This is why videos like Billybae10K Billybae10K recent Rate Their Chances video irk me so much, because they act as if Erdrick is almost an auto-include without really analyzing the details, like how Nintendo always pushes Dragon Quest so pushing it now is nothing significant, or how most of the talk about him is just speculation and not actual fan demand of the character (and is usually the opposite, as in, we DON'T want the character). The also act as if the things above are 'evidence' towards confirming or deconfirming a character when these are all nothing but talking points that solidify nothing at all.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wouldn't pull an Etika because I'd be too busy crying, let's be real.
Ovaltine, we have to get brunch sometime, because we are way too in sync. It's like the ducks in ASDFmovie, only cooler and you are the only one with duck qualities.

That is, idk if we could hold a conversation other than crying profusely into our eggs Benedict once Geno is announced, but we can try nonetheless. You won't have to call me for directions either: you'll be able to hear my joyful sobs across the county.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't know if it's just a bit of exhaustion with speculation and the community, but I very much so support the idea of only half the characters having anything to do with fan requests. I don't want just wish fulfillment of fans at this point. I want to see Sakurai flex his creative muscles and expand Smash with new major franchises. I think a good balance between the two and also any potential new breakout stars is important.
Holy moly, I HOPE it's just you.

Seriously, the list of character that Sakurai can pick from vs the list of fan requests is a terrifying stark difference? Remember when we thought a Style Savvy was gonna get a rep? Do you realize what would happen if Sakurai was allowed his hand to be unbridled as he reached into the void that is Nintendo characters?

Seriously though, we NEED more fan requests. Why? Because that's what sells, when you give the consumer what they want. Ultimate was advertised with the mantra "Everyone Is Here" and this brought back all the veterans who were highly requested as well as big requests like Daisy, Ridley, Chrom, Simon and King K. Rool. A friend and I did the math, and out of the 18 characters added to Ultimate, only 4 or 5 questionable in the sense of 'Where these character requested': Richter, Isabelle, Incineroar, Ken and Piranha Plant. Richter is Japan's Simon and is a buffer for Japanese fans as well as a fun quirky easy addition for Western fans; Isabelle is very popular and made sense to add her along with a Animal Crossing for Switch announcement; Incineroar was both more popular than people give the character credit for in both Western and Eastern audiences, but was also the best pick for a new fighter as he offered something never truly done in Smash until now; everyone loves Ken and he was a no-brainer inclusion that no one was against at all; PP was Sakurai doing as Sakurai does, and 90% of the time we all come to love and accept when he does that.

The rest though? They were requested, and thus the mantra carries on with Joker, it's a sign that the mantra is referring to the characters you love that you thought wouldn't get in but always hoped would, and there is still a void that hasn't been filled and damage that has been done with Waluigi, Isaac and Shadow as well as worry and doubt with Geno and Rayman. There are still characters out there that have been campaigned for for over a decade and that needs to be addressed.

Sure, I'll agree that Sakurai needs to have creative freedom and when he does we usually get something phenomenal, but there needs to be a balance and with YEARS of backlog on characters that have been campaigned for that needs to take a bit more priority under this very encouraging mantra. It should be at most 3 fan requests and 2 that fall under other catagories, bit it Sakurai craziness or 'Hey, I didn't ask for them, but this is cool' or the dreadful 'shill pick'.

GrungeMan

Smash Apprentice
What in the heck makes you think Sora isn't in the running? The longest-awaited KH titled dropped in late Jan and made a crap ton of money despite how poor quality it is, and Nomura has stated that story DLC is on it's way and rumoredly that when the DLC is done production on KH4 will start in 2020. Add in that the Secret Ending basically hints at even more Square franchises being pushed for KH's future and a possible straying from Disney content, which then puts KH in a spot where it can pseudo-advertise other Square franchises and has less issues with Disney, and you can see why Sora would be a prime-time choice for Smash DLC to strike while the KH iron is hot!
No, I agree. Joker and Cloud demonstrate that Sora is a genuine possibility. There are plenty of great reasons as to why Sora could be added and the time would be now more than ever. It's honestly just a feeling that I have. More of a hunch and less of anything to do with evidence. The KH iron is hot and I think that this smash DLC cycle will pass without the inclusion of Sora, sadly. I'd be happy to be wrong; two of my friends really want Sora, so I'd be happy for them if he made it in.

There are only 4 slots left to speculate on and other characters just seem/feel more likely.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
This feels a lot like the whole Captain Toad can't jump thing that some people threw around and was equally bull****.

I completely disagree. I think that the Tetromino would genuinely make for one of the most interesting picks by way of just making one work. It's an absurd idea for a character, which is why it works so well in potentially bringing something unique to the game. A stage works just fine, I just don't see the negatives of trying a character for potentially the biggest game of all time.

That's why I love Piranha Plant. The existence of such a character forces creativity to be actualized, and the resulting character with Sakurai has always proven to be something genuinely interesting and unique compared to much of the roster.

For the same reasons I've largely loosened up on the whole anti-Steve movement. If anybody is going to make him work, Sakurai would be the guy to do so. I'm convinced Sakurai can take basically any character or option and make them work as something interesting at this point.

I don't know if it's just a bit of exhaustion with speculation and the community, but I very much so support the idea of only half the characters having anything to do with fan requests. I don't want just wish fulfillment of fans at this point. I want to see Sakurai flex his creative muscles and expand Smash with new major franchises. I think a good balance between the two and also any potential new breakout stars is important.

Maybe it's just me, but I thought that the base roster additions to Ultimate was the sort of golden ratio of additions. Major fan requests in King K. Rool and Ridley, new breakout stars in Isabelle and Inkling, and the creative energies of Sakurai coming to the table with Incineroar, Piranha Plant (Which seems more and more like an intentional base character at this point), and Simon Belmont. Obviously those characters don't all belong to just one classification, but I think they importantly highlight a balanced approach to roster additions that should be overall preserved going forward.
You realize you're talking to a ROB main right? You think that I don't love the bizarre widget picks like him and Game & Watch? Nintendo's own pool of widget characters alone isn't exactly dry. Sakurai doesn't have to rely on a goddamn inanimate block to get his rocks off. I can even name a few off the top of my head.

Diskun
Nester
Parabo & Satebo
Monita
Professor Hector
Dr. Wright

These are some characters that could potentially be integrated without running contrary to their source material, because they don't have firmly established rules and mechanics. A Tetromino is kinda in a class of its own. Everybody knows what it is, unlike ROB who was generally forgotten until Brawl. Tetris doesn't need Smash.

And no, jumping doesn't go against the concept of Captain Toad. He's an actual character with legs. The lack of jumping is just a quirky game mechanic in a Mario spinoff. It however goes COMPLETELY against the entire concept of Tetris. A playable block in a fighting game is not the way to integrate Tetris.

D

Deleted member

I'm starting to get that itch for a new character that I haven't felt since October so I'm getting kind of impatient and I can't really wait for it I kind of want to know if Erdrick is in or if Geno is in by now so I can relax, though that said if the next character is Geno I'm willing to wait for however long Sakurai needs.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Holy moly, I HOPE it's just you.

Seriously, the list of character that Sakurai can pick from vs the list of fan requests is a terrifying stark difference? Remember when we thought a Style Savvy was gonna get a rep? Do you realize what would happen if Sakurai was allowed his hand to be unbridled as he reached into the void that is Nintendo characters?

Seriously though, we NEED more fan requests. Why? Because that's what sells, when you give the consumer what they want. Ultimate was advertised with the mantra "Everyone Is Here" and this brought back all the veterans who were highly requested as well as big requests like Daisy, Ridley, Chrom, Simon and King K. Rool. A friend and I did the math, and out of the 18 characters added to Ultimate, only 4 or 5 questionable in the sense of 'Where these character requested': Richter, Isabelle, Incineroar, Ken and Piranha Plant. Richter is Japan's Simon and is a buffer for Japanese fans as well as a fun quirky easy addition for Western fans; Isabelle is very popular and made sense to add her along with a Animal Crossing for Switch announcement; Incineroar was both more popular than people give the character credit for in both Western and Eastern audiences, but was also the best pick for a new fighter as he offered something never truly done in Smash until now; everyone loves Ken and he was a no-brainer inclusion that no one was against at all; PP was Sakurai doing as Sakurai does, and 90% of the time we all come to love and accept when he does that.

The rest though? They were requested, and thus the mantra carries on with Joker, it's a sign that the mantra is referring to the characters you love that you thought wouldn't get in but always hoped would, and there is still a void that hasn't been filled and damage that has been done with Waluigi, Isaac and Shadow as well as worry and doubt with Geno and Rayman. There are still characters out there that have been campaigned for for over a decade and that needs to be addressed.

Sure, I'll agree that Sakurai needs to have creative freedom and when he does we usually get something phenomenal, but there needs to be a balance and with YEARS of backlog on characters that have been campaigned for that needs to take a bit more priority under this very encouraging mantra. It should be at most 3 fan requests and 2 that fall under other catagories, bit it Sakurai craziness or 'Hey, I didn't ask for them, but this is cool' or the dreadful 'shill pick'.
Err... I feel like we’re not really disagreeing too much. I spoke of needing balance in the character choices.

I just don’t think fan requests can be the only thing we get and I’m all for encouraging outside the box picks that have the potential to add things people didn’t even know they wanted.

Again, I was praising Ultimate for that balance, of the 6 full new characters added, two were seemingly from each category and I thought that struck a good balance. Echoes I’m not going to be really count, and I’d argue that all of the veterans should be considered fan picks in their return. Of the 18 added in the base game, only really Incineroar didn’t have some longer existing fan base or fan support.

But yeah, there’s always going to be fan requests. Ultimate did a really good job of making that list a whole lot shorter though. All veterans back was a large part of that and now of the major communities we’re down to the likes of Geno, Banjo Kazooie, Bandanna Dee, Isaac, and Waluigi really. Maybe an Ashley and Dixie Kong thrown in there as well, but the list of big name requests has shrunk quite a bit.

We’re genuinely starting to approach the realization of fan fulfillment I think at this point. There are tons of potential characters to add from Nintendo and third party history, but I think of the big names and communities of heavily supported characters are starting to run a little drier. I don’t mean to invalidate anyone’s pick on saying that, I just think it’s a reality of having 77 fighters currently in the game and Sakurai having done a good amount of wish fulfilllment over the years.

And with how well he has genuinely handled characters, I see absolutely no reason to doubt giving him the full reins of choices. I’m all for Style Savy or anyone else if he does interesting stuff for those characters and adds to the gameplay of Smash.

You realize you're talking to a ROB main right? You think that I don't love the bizarre widget picks like him and Game & Watch? Nintendo's own pool of widget characters alone isn't exactly dry. Sakurai doesn't have to rely on a goddamn inanimate block to get his rocks off. I can even name a few off the top of my head.

Diskun
Nester
Parabo & Satebo
Monita
Professor Hector
Dr. Wright

These are some characters that could potentially be integrated without running contrary to their source material, because they don't have firmly established rules and mechanics. A Tetromino is kinda in a class of its own. Everybody knows what it is, unlike ROB who was generally forgotten until Brawl. Tetris doesn't need Smash.

And no, jumping doesn't go against the concept of Captain Toad. He's an actual character with legs. The lack of jumping is just a quirky game mechanic in a Mario spinoff. It however goes COMPLETELY against the entire concept of Tetris. A playable block in a fighting game is not the way to integrate Tetris.
I never accused you of not moving crazy picks, I just explained why I disagreed with the notion that Tetris couldn’t be in as a playable character and why I loved the idea.

But again, the whole a Tetris block fighting being too absurd or that somehow the block moving upward means, well anything, I just can’t agree with. The whole, a Tetris block can’t move like that feels like any number of complaints levied at other characters as to why they can’t/shouldn’t be included, and I find all of them equally frustrating.

Yeah, a Tetris block would be absolutely absurd. That’s the point because you’d make a genuinely hilarious and unique character from that reality.

And so what if Tetris doesn’t need Smash? Mario doesn’t need Smash, Ryu doesn’t need Smash, and so on... Smash is a celebration of gaming, so I think it would fit to have one fo the biggest and most popular games of all time in the game as something big, potentially even a character.

I just don’t find any argument convincing as to why a playable Tetris character isn’t a grand idea that Sakurai could genuinely put a lot of love into.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...t_not_be_the_only_zelda_game_released_in_2019
>Verge is at it again
At least he's trying to leak something "safe" this time. If that doesn't work, what is even the point?

I'm starting to get that itch for a new character that I haven't felt since October so I'm getting kind of impatient and I can't really wait for it I kind of want to know if Erdrick is in or if Geno is in by now so I can relax, though that said if the next character is Geno I'm willing to wait for however long Sakurai needs.
I would suggest taking a break from the site for a month and check back in April to see if anything happens, that would be much healthier for you, I feel.

Last edited:

Looma

Smash Journeyman
I never accused you of not moving crazy picks, I just explained why I disagreed with the notion that Tetris couldn’t be in as a playable character and why I loved the idea.

But again, the whole a Tetris block fighting being too absurd or that somehow the block moving upward means, well anything, I just can’t agree with. The whole, a Tetris block can’t move like that feels like any number of complaints levied at other characters as to why they can’t/shouldn’t be included, and I find all of them equally frustrating.

Yeah, a Tetris block would be absolutely absurd. That’s the point because you’d make a genuinely hilarious and unique character from that reality.

And so what if Tetris doesn’t need Smash? Mario doesn’t need Smash, Ryu doesn’t need Smash, and so on... Smash is a celebration of gaming, so I think it would fit to have one fo the biggest and most popular games of all time in the game as something big, potentially even a character.

I just don’t find any argument convincing as to why a playable Tetris character isn’t a grand idea that Sakurai could genuinely put a lot of love into.
Sorry for the initial aggression, you indeed did not levy any accusations against me. Felt pretty insulted by being lumped with the "cAptAin tOaD cAn'T jUmP" crowd though. I like that guy, and he is not 1-1 with this argument.

Anyway, Smash celebrates these franchises through more than just fighters. I'm not opposed to Tetris being represented in Smash, quite the opposite. I'm more in favor of representing it properly. A celebration of something should stay true to what it's celebrating. Ramming a Tetromino through a fighter shaped hole isn't celebrating it, you're shaving off important parts of it's identity for the sake of having a fighter to have a laugh with for 10 minutes until the novelty wears off and they become just another character on the roster. Integrating Tetris in a different, but very substantial way is more appropriate.

"It could work :)" Yeah, technically it could. It can function, but would it function well? Could it give off that distinct "Tetris" aura while it's jumping around the stage clocking other fighters? A block that's function is to fall and lock into place for it to disappear only when a line is made? It sounds like a joke, and Tetris is no joke.

I should've elaborated more on what I meant by Tetris not needing Smash. I'm saying that Tetris doesn't need to be revived as a joke character in a fighting game to get back in the public eye. Possibly me being a bit of a historian here, but I much prefer it when Sakurai digs up old, crusty characters or hardware from Nintendo's history and repurposes them for Smash, effectively breathing new life into some obscure old forgotten character. Nobody would give a damn about ROB anymore if he was never in Smash. Tetris is alive and well, and doesn't need to play that role. Especially not when there are arguably other characters that are more viable for the role, would elicit the same reaction, and are even much easier to obtain.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...t_not_be_the_only_zelda_game_released_in_2019
>Verge is at it again
At least he's trying to leak something "safe" this time. If that doesn't work, what is even the point?
Oh hey it's Nintendo "Mother 3 won't be localized because a GameInformer editor is unsure and we're gonna make a clickbait article about it" Life.

Honestly this site needs to calm down on all these rumors that come from sources outside Nintendo. It's annoying and spreads fake news like facts.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Oh hey it's Nintendo "Mother 3 won't be localized because a GameInformer editor is unsure and we're gonna make a clickbait article about it" Life.

Honestly this site needs to calm down on all these rumors that come from sources outside Nintendo. It's annoying and spreads fake news like facts.
But. They have Nintendo in the URL. They must be credible!

Firox

Smash Master
I notice some people talking about whether Sora from Kingdom Hearts could end up as DLC. To be honest, I would hype myself into a coma if he actually got in, but I have to admit that I'm doubtful he would due to an article I read on the subject. Apparently, Sora is not legally owned by Square Enix. At least not entirely. Disney owns the character, but Square Enix and its director hold legal stipulation at to how the character is used. In other words, for him to get in, we would have to get Nintendo, Square Enix, its director, AND Disney to all agree on his portrayal in the game. That's where I think we'll see a major hang-up. I could imagine that Disney would want his final smash to feature at least Donald and Goofy helping him beat down his opponents similar to Dunban and crew in Shulk's final smash. Nintendo, on the other hand, would likely be VERY apprehensive about letting Disney get their claws too deep into their IP. Who wouldn't, considering they already sucked up Star Wars, Marvel, Fox and more all the time. Now, I'm not saying Disney would try to absorb Nintendo or anything so don't get too caught up on the semantics, but my point is that I find it hard to believe that Disney and Nintendo would see eye to eye on this. Could they? Maybe. I'm just saying the chances are slim.

lemon demon

Smash Cadet
if we can get a tetris rep at all i’d love a puyo puyo tetris character rather than the blocks themselves. it’s probably a bit of bias but also because they have arms and legs and would be easier to make a moveset for. if we do have a ppt rep it’ll probably be tee.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
if we can get a tetris rep at all i’d love a puyo puyo tetris character rather than the blocks themselves. it’s probably a bit of bias but also because they have arms and legs and would be easier to make a moveset for. if we do have a ppt rep it’ll probably be tee.
of course you would want something puyo-related instead you heckin NERD

lemon demon lemon demon and i are friends, mods, this isn't serious, please don't kill

Last edited:

lemon demon

Smash Cadet
of course you would want something puyo-related instead you heckin NERD

lemon demon lemon demon and i are friends, mods, this isn't serious, please don't kill
this is so sad... tee, perform a t-spin triple.....
sadly puyo puyo as a whole is owned by sega which iirc also owns persona but i can dream.

driving the topic back to geno for a second, imagine if geno got in smash and his cape got a redesign like peach’s dress. it’d be super pretty

Ovaltine

Smash Master
this is so sad... tee, perform a t-spin triple.....
sadly puyo puyo as a whole is owned by sega which iirc also owns persona but i can dream.

driving the topic back to geno for a second, imagine if geno got in smash and his cape got a redesign like peach’s dress. it’d be super pretty
teespacito plays in the background

AHEM, ANYWAY. If they did that, I could definitely imagine his cape getting like, golden trim or something, as well as subtle star patterns and little intricacies like that. It'd be so pretty.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
I always pictured his cape having seven stars (lol) so I’d really appreciate seeing a cape update honestly.

D

Deleted member

Y'know, the difference between wanting a character in Smash and liking the game they are from is a lot bigger than I thought. Normally I'd assume that, if you liked one of them, you'd be all for the other.

For instance, some people in the Square thread said they didn't want Geno in Smash, but they wouldn't mind him returning to the Mario universe or a remake of Super Mario RPG. And some people want Geno in Smash, but don't like SMRPG.

Though the majority of Geno fans like both, myself included, but still. It's interesting imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom