• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think the roster at this point would be finalized. But if nothing else there is always DLC

Hey Geno fans, I noticed something interesting today in Bowser's character video from the official website;

The theme song they chose to use for Bowser... correct me if I am wrong, but that's Bowser's theme song from Super Mario RPG, isn't it? I don't believe that theme song has appeared in any other game, right?

Interesting that they would have picked the song from that game, no?

Don't give up hope! I'm with you guys!
I think it might actually be the Mario 3 fight song but I can't tell. I'm on a cell phone at work atm

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
I'm with you there. Assuming Sakurai's not just messing with us with the comment about "don't expect too many newcomers", not to mention that the name of the game is literally "Ultimate," they're probably gonna try to reserve what few fresh slots they have for big hype-builders and fanservice characters like Ridley, and if you think about it, what prospective newcomer is more famous within the Smash fanbase than Geno? Well, there's Ridley, who's already confirmed. Beyond that, there's K. Rool, who I think is practically a shoo-in given the direction this title's going. And then there's us, the humble Geno supporters, the cult following that exploded in the days of Brawl and has been going strong ever since despite the ridicule and backlash we've faced over the years. Our boy Geno has been pushed by us, his fans, to the point of being practically emblematic of the Smash speculation scene as a whole, and as much as the naysayers like to bring down the hammer with "nobody knows who he is," the truth is that many Smash fans do know him and quietly sympathize with us, mostly due to our efforts.
I think that's something.
Well said!

Raheem The Dream

Banned via Warnings
NNID
RaheemTheDream28
3DS FC
5043-2968-5730
Hey Geno fans, I noticed something interesting today in Bowser's character video from the official website;

The theme song they chose to use for Bowser... correct me if I am wrong, but that's Bowser's theme song from Super Mario RPG, isn't it? I don't believe that theme song has appeared in any other game, right?

Haiku: I'm calling it out! Geno is confirmed in SMASH! PERFECT♥♪!?VICTORY!!!!
#Haiku #Geno4SmashUltimate #BelieveInYourDreams #RaheemTheDream #GODWILLS #RaheemXCristinaVee #NeverGiveUp #Shantae4SmashUltimate #RiskyBoots4SmashUltimate #RET2GO #DreamBig #GITGUD #Sonic25thAnniversary #SonicManiaPlus #Manic4SmashUltimate #Sonia4SmashUltimate #AllOrNothing
& finally VICTORY IS FINALLY OURS:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

Don't want to spread false hope though (I knew I was remembering correctly. Mario 3 is my favorite game)

But I think he's got a real shot this time regardless

Last edited:

Corbin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nibrocofthepuddn
The newcomers in Ultimate are getting amiibo. I can only imagine what a Geno amiibo could look like...

StormC

Smash Hero
Gotta hand it to you guys, I think his chances are better than ever.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Geno has been my most wanted newcomer since I was little. Man I still can’t believe how close we came with that Mii Costume. I can definitely see him making it in this time around. I feel like the newcomers for this game are going to be ones that have been highly requested for years, and Geno definitely fits that bill. And when we consider how Geno almost made it in twice, yeah he’s gotta be in this game for sure.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
Geno has been my most wanted newcomer since I was little. Man I still can’t believe how close we came with that Mii Costume. I can definitely see him making it in this time around. I feel like the newcomers for this game are going to be ones that have been highly requested for years, and Geno definitely fits that bill. And when we consider how Geno almost made it in twice, yeah he’s gotta be in this game for sure.
Me too, I can feel it! This is his year to be a fighter!

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990

Do they need Square's permission to use Mario RPG music? If so then GENO CONFIRMED!!!

Edit: Wait it originated in Mario 3 and the one in Mario RPG is a remix. RIP

Last edited:

Takasmash

Smash Ace

Geno in smash ultimate bro its perfect Geno is one of my top 8 characters for smash. Plus Sakurai did say he wanted to include Geno in Brawl and Smash 4 now its Geno time baby.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
We don't know anything yet; let's not jump the gun or assume things. The song from that video is from Mario 3; SMRPG just had a remix of it.

I do think Geno's chances are better than ever this time around, but we need to hold out until we get more information.

When's the next Nintendo direct? August?

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
The fact that Sakurai acknowledges Genos fan base makes him so likely. The fact we have not got a third party newcomer so far makes me believe Simon and Geno are likely the only two we could get.

I think you guys have a strong shot.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Wow, it makes me so glad to see people finally beginning to respect our boy's chances! I, too, think Geno has a remarkably strong shot at getting into this one considering this game is so obviously hyperfocusing on fanservice above all else, and as I mentioned in an earlier post, Geno is one of the most historically requested Smash candidates of all time, right up there with Ridley and K. Rool. That, and if this really is Sakurai's final Smash (heh) like it's looking to be, it's likely that he'll return to some characters who he's considered in the past, and as we know, Geno was notoriously considered for two consecutive Smash games. Now that his parent company, Square Enix, is officially here to stay, I think this is very likely to be Geno's time, that being why he's on my prediction roster down below. In fact, at this point, I'd even go so far as to call him the most likely newcomer we haven't gotten yet outside of King K. Rool and maybe Bandanna Dee. Here's hoping our wish is granted!

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Hello, I have come from the dead to support the hell out of my boy Geno.
P l e a s e, Sakurai.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I've got to say, the fact that Geno got a Mii costume bodes well for his chances as a character. Both he and King K. Rool got Mii Costumes, so I could see that as an acknowledgement of their popularity in Smash 4, and that help influence things for Smash Ultimate. I also must admit to being bias since those are now my top two desired characters, but the stars might just finally be aligning for them both to make it in.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Decided to make an account just to increase the amount of support for Geno. I can remember getting Mario RPG for my 6th b-day and thinking Geno was an awesome character and was always so disappointed all the interesting characters introduced in Mario ROG would go unused for decades now. Only a few months ago did I find out that Sakurai likes the character and almost got him on the roster twice now. From Melee on my most wanted characters were Mega Man, Ridley, and Geno. We’ve gotten 2 of the three and as people have said Ultimate being so fan service-y gives me a good feeling. If a character Sakurai himself said was too big to be playable somehow made it in I think chances are as good as they’ll ever be for a character highly suggested by fans who Sakurai even said would be a great fit for the series,

L2 Sentinel

Smash Apprentice
I think Sakurai is really interested in getting those big fanservicey characters in the game this time around, so Geno's chances are actually looking strong, imo. I certainly hope so at least. Fingers crossed!

D

Deleted member

At this point, i think Sakurai will not prioritze the latest "new nintendo characters". Because of this, i think that the likes of Rex and Springman (hell i think it's possible that there will not be a Gen 7 Pokémmon) are out of the picture, and long recurring and desired characters from the old era are now our best bet.

Let's look at Daisy and Ridley for example. While both have appereances in recent games, they are not exacly what you call promotional. Look at Smash 4's newcomer pool where almost every non-retro/non-third party is clearly from a modern era (with characters like Palutena and Bowser Jr, who have been far longer, still feature heavy inspiration from modern games instead of classic ones) and you will see that this is a huge contrast with Ridley in Ultimate (the first non-echo newcomer we have seen) who goes as far as to have a Super Metroid inspired design (even a Palette swap based on his cover art appereance in Super Metroid) and a Meta Ridley Alt, which originates from a game that was released over 10 years ago instead of the more recent Proteus form and Daisy, while having recent appereances, she's far more "Classic" compared to the likes of Dark Pit and Lucina who debuted in 3DS games.

I think Geno is the most likely guest in this game aside from Simon Belmont (because Vergeben and like Geno the negotiations will be easier due to Konami already giving the apporval for Snake)

It also makes sesne, instead of having a large newcomer roster of new faces, this time it will be a Quality over Quantity approach where the few and old but fondly remembered and demanded Nintendo characters like K.Rool are given the biggest of priorities since a lot of manpower already went into brining back everyone and their grandma (and making changes to them like giving Ganondorf a Sword) in order to satisfy the fans.

Since my god Waluigi has been sent to the Shadow Realm, i guess i can give full support to the Star Saviour because im feeling confident right now, and i don't care if im wrong, i was a Ridley supporter so i know how it feels to get ridiculed over and over.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
At this point, i think Sakurai will not prioritze the latest "new nintendo characters". Because of this, i think that the likes of Rex and Springman (hell i think it's possible that there will not be a Gen 7 Pokémmon) are out of the picture, and long recurring and desired characters from the old era are now our best bet.

Let's look at Daisy and Ridley for example. While both have appereances in recent games, they are not exacly what you call promotional. Look at Smash 4's newcomer pool where almost every non-retro/non-third party is clearly from a modern era (with characters like Palutena and Bowser Jr, who have been far longer, still feature heavy inspiration from modern games instead of classic ones) and you will see that this is a huge contrast with Ridley in Ultimate (the first non-echo newcomer we have seen) who goes as far as to have a Super Metroid inspired design (even a Palette swap based on his cover art appereance in Super Metroid) and a Meta Ridley Alt, which originates from a game that was released over 10 years ago instead of the more recent Proteus form and Daisy, while having recent appereances, she's far more "Classic" compared to the likes of Dark Pit and Lucina who debuted in 3DS games.

I think Geno is the most likely guest in this game aside from Simon Belmont (because Vergeben and like Geno the negotiations will be easier due to Konami already giving the apporval for Snake)

It also makes sesne, instead of having a large newcomer roster of new faces, this time it will be a Quality over Quantity approach where the few and old but fondly remembered and demanded Nintendo characters like K.Rool are given the biggest of priorities since a lot of manpower already went into brining back everyone and their grandma (and making changes to them like giving Ganondorf a Sword) in order to satisfy the fans.

Since my god Waluigi has been sent to the Shadow Realm, i guess i can give full support to the Star Saviour now, im feeling confident right now, and i don't care if im wrong, i was a Ridley supporter so i know how it feels to get ridiculed over and over.
Amen to that! I agree completely that this Smash will focus largely on fanservice and ballot picks with its newcomer selection; Ridley's already the most fanservice-y pick we've ever gotten in Smash bar none, only getting in thanks to mass fan outcry, so I feel anyone who isn't expecting most of the unique newcomers to be highly requested picks at this point is kidding themselves.

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
I created an account to specifically to show my support for Geno for SBU! As many others have said, I think we finally have a real chance this time!

Zema

Smash Journeyman
Been several years since I last posted. Thought I'd pop in again to show my support once more. Ever since Brawl I've been pretty skeptical about Geno ever making it in Smash. His Mii Fighter costume was both heartbreaking and a joyful moment, since it actually presented us with some acknowledgement from Sakurai beyond just words that Geno was ever a candidate for Smash, as well as being an acknowledgment of SMRPG's existance, which I feel is good enough. I love that game. Everyone in the world should experience it in my opinion. At the end of the day, that's what this is all about for me. I love Geno as a character, sure, but I want the game he was in to be celebrated above all.

I'm pretty realistic about Geno's chances: I used to think he wouldn't make it, but I'm a bit more unsure now. When I saw the "Everybody is here" caption, I felt a bit worried, especially when Mii fighters were shown to be coming back. But I've got five decently-sized reasons to think Geno will maybe make it this time.

1. The Mii Fighter proportions have been changed. Not necessarily a game-changer, since they can just scale the costumes if they want, but I have a feeling that wouldn't look very good and they know it. Still, I hope that if he doesn't show up, we can at the very least still get the Mii costume. Honestly I'd prefer an Assist Trophy, but whatever. I'm getting off track.
2. Mii costumes aren't a death sentence for a character's chances, as Inkling has shown.
3. Sakurai has talked about adding Geno to Smash repeatedly at this point.
4. Cloud is in the game. Again. The relationship between Nintendo and Square Enix that were described as issues in the past are probably no longer there.
5. Everyone is back. 65 characters, with a few more presumed to be joining the game as well. There must not be that many characters left on Sakurai's list of characters he wants to add in Smash.

However, I'm gonna remain pessimistic because at this point it's better for my health whenever I see a Nintendo Direct. I only hope to one day be able to experience the same moments of joy Ridley, Cloud, Daisy and Megaman players felt when they saw their favourite character join the game. Not that I didn't cheer, of course. Those characters are great additions in my opinion.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
As of now, Geno and K. Rool are two characters I'm expecting, for reasons already stated.

Sadly, I've never played Super Mario RPG, so there's not much I know about Geno. Nevertheless, I wouldn't mind seeing him in the game, as he looks pretty interesting.

Zema

Smash Journeyman
As of now, Geno and K. Rool are two characters I'm expecting, for reasons already stated.

Sadly, I've never played Super Mario RPG, so there's not much I know about Geno. Nevertheless, I wouldn't mind seeing him in the game, as he looks pretty interesting.
I'm not sure how well it has aged for someone who has never played it before. It's definitely a fun game for me. It's very lighthearted, but it has a lot of soul and beauty in it that no other Mario game has ever really managed to live up to in my opinion. It's what a wacky adventure with your wacky friends would feel like. I don't think I've ever not finished a playthrough I started with it; it's that engaging. I say this as someone who typically detests turn based combat, too.

Honestly, I would recommend it for the music alone. Some of Yoko Shimomura's best work in her entire career, in my opinion.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'd say Geno's chances are better than they've ever been but the question, is that enough?

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
I'm not sure how well it has aged for someone who has never played it before. It's definitely a fun game for me. It's very lighthearted, but it has a lot of soul and beauty in it that no other Mario game has ever really managed to live up to in my opinion. It's what a wacky adventure with your wacky friends would feel like. I don't think I've ever not finished a playthrough I started with it; it's that engaging. I say this as someone who typically detests turn based combat, too.

Honestly, I would recommend it for the music alone. Some of Yoko Shimomura's best work in her entire career, in my opinion.

Speaking of music. If Geno gets in, he'll probably have some songs from SMRPG in there. My list of songs for him goes
1 Beware Forest Mushrooms
2 Mario RPG medley(mashing various song from the game together, like Mallow's sad song)
3 Midas River
4 Smithy Factory
5 Axem Rangers theme

SSBBDaisy

Smash Lord
I may have gotten my favorite Nintendo character of all time confirmed, but I can't tell you how much I love playing Super Mario RPG and how much I fell in love with Geno.

The fact that he was watching Mario and came from the heavens (paradise) to help him save all life on Mario's planet. Also, not to mention all of the sweet looking abilities and attacks Geno had are the things that made me fall in love with the character Geno.

I put all my kerokolas, red essences, rock candies, and hope into his confirmation as a playable character (not a custom Mii outfit) in Super Smash Brothers Ultimate.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think K Rool and SImon Belmont are going to be in the game.

Now, I'm hoping Geno is making that list as well.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
I haven't been on this board in about 5 years... but I am back to support my man Geno! I got so hyped when he was announced for a Mii costume. And now, I really believe he has a great chance!

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
Oooooh the Bowser music got me excited, but the Mario RPG Bowser theme was based off of the SMB3 theme it sounds like, still cool though!

And yeah, I think Geno has a really good shot. The roster has all the important Nintendo players now, and I think Sakurai is finally putting in fan favorites. Also, in an interview he said he considered putting Geno in in Brawl and Smash 4. Takamura was also a consideration, I remember during the Dojo updates for Wiiu/3DS when they presented his assist trophy Sakurai expressed interest in maybe including him and said "maybe next time," well next time is here and he's still an AT.

I think the ATs and other considerations are being narrowed down, and I think K. Rool and Geno have excellent chances. Also it'd be weird to have Metroid's villain and not Donkey Kong's.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Hmmmm...
-Sakurai considering adding Geno since brawl and never gave a reason why he wasn't included yet and he also sees him as a perfect fit.
-Square-enix bringing back Cloud
-Geno Mii costume was the only one with splash screen.
-The first battle theme of SMRPG being remixed in SSBU and hasn't been used in ages.
-Nintendo tweeting suddnly about SMRPG 22nd anniversary
-Nintendo asking in twitter whether we prefer Geno or Mallow instead of asking about Mario and Bowser and Peach
-no 3rd party newcomer in SSBU so far and Sakurai says don't expect many newcomers this time around but the picks so far are fan service.
Things are looking REALLY GREAT so far!!!

Last edited:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I'd be surprised if this where the last game and Geno was absent from the game.
Sakurai have wanted Geno since Brawl.
Which means he has tried to negotiate with Square Enix before.

Of course Square Enix would not let a one-shot wooden doll inn, before their biggest houshold name. Now that they got their most recognizable character ever in Smash, now it's time to give Geno, as a kind gesture to honor their fans, and one of the fans being the director himself.

Ridley and Daisy really proves that Sakurai is going all out for this game. Geno has never sounded as likely as now.
Fighting for him since Brawl, those are great news, and so is the fact that Nintendo for the FIRST TIME mentions them, in a tweet about the games anniversary. I'm confident.

SSBBDaisy

Smash Lord
I can't tell you how many times I've played Mario RPG.

But majority of the time and I mean majority of it my lineup consisted of Mario, Geno, and Peach. I'm hoping I can have that same line up again and hey if Geno gets confirmed and there is a story mode maybe there will be a boss from Mario RPG where I can use that same lineup but with smash

Super hyped at the thought

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I can't tell you how many times I've played Mario RPG.

But majority of the time and I mean majority of it my lineup consisted of Mario, Geno, and Peach. I'm hoping I can have that same line up again and hey if Geno gets confirmed and there is a story mode maybe there will be a boss from Mario RPG where I can react that same lineup but with smash

Super hyped at the thought
Well, now I'm hoping for Geno and Tag-Team Battles to be added in the same game so I can run the SMRPG meta party in Smash.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I do hope to see Mallow in some form if Geno get's inn.

If he is like Chrom, in Geno's Final Smash, or if Mallow comes by as an Assist Trophy, I still hope to see him.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
Out of ALL the boards, after what I’ve seen here, Geno is the ONLY option. With Cloud in and the Mii costumes, I can easily see Geno as DLC only expansion pack of fighters, ala Blazblue, so it’s not as risky to sell him separately.
im Playing project octopath traveler, and JRPGS are my favorite. I didn’t know Geno was from an RPG game, made by SQUARE.

some me of my favs include
ff tactics advance and advance 2
ff3,4,10,13, dissidia games
i never had Super Nintendo. I had Nintendo, and went to the 64 the Christmas it came out. I got RUGRATS IN PARIS. fml Chuckie Chan is top tier tho
JRPGS are a whole nother level of gaming to me. So I am really excited for Genos obvious inclusion, and support him 100000% percent.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I think unless they decide to put Sora (or Lightning... Man, the reactions would be priceless) in the game as the second Square-Enix rep, Geno has good chances of showing up. He has retained his popularity for over a decade. That is something.

I would be pleased with his addition. Super Mario RPG is a classic.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I've been a supporter of Geno since over a decade ago when I first got the opportunity to play Super Mario RPG for the SNES back in 2008 and finished the game the day before Brawl released. And I think he's got a really good shot.

That, and it was frustrating that a discussion on Discord I had regarding Geno's likelyhood as a playable character basically had some guys saying "Super Mario RPG failed financially and Geno's a one shot character" or "there's no way he's more than a Mii Fighter costume". That didn't stop other "one shot characters" from being playable like Ice Climbers, Duck Hunt, or ROB from being playable. That, and if Mario RPG was such a failure, the Paper Mario series and Mario and Luigi series wouldn't even exist given how Paper Mario started out as a sequel to Mario RPG in early development.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
:017:
Hmmmm...
-Sakurai considering adding Geno since brawl and never gave a reason why he wasn't included yet and he also sees him as a perfect fit.
-Square-enix bringing back Cloud
-Geno Mii costume was the only one with splash screen.
-The first battle theme of SMRPG being remixed in SSBU and hasn't been used in ages.
-Nintendo tweeting suddnly about SMRPG 22nd anniversary
-Nintendo asking in twitter whether we prefer Geno or Mallow instead of asking about Mario and Bowser and Peach
-no 3rd party newcomer in SSBU so far and Sakurai says don't expect many newcomers this time around but the picks so far are fan service.
Things are looking REALLY GREAT so far!!!
Aw man. Those are all such great points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom