• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staarih

Smash Master
I brought this up in the Ashley thread and wondered the same for Geno, with codecs and Palutena's Guidance possibly coming back, what would they have to say about Geno?
Confusion about his real name could make up for a fun conversation.

...I mean, we have to get "♡♪!?" referenced somewhere right (at least his trophy)?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Confusion about his real name could make up for a fun conversation.

...I mean, we have to get "♡♪!?" referenced somewhere right (at least his trophy)?
I mean, they would have to vocalize it in the codecs and Palutena's Guidance in order to talk about it, and I have no clue what ♡♪!? would sound like. I don't think Nintendo does either. I would bank on it appearing in his trophy, since it is just text.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I have a feeling Palutena's guidance and Snake's Codex is going to get mixed together when they are together

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I have a feeling Palutena's guidance and Snake's Codex is going to get mixed together when they are together
Yeah, I think that as well. It would kinda be like Dark Pit's(And to a lesser extent, Slippy and Chrom) appearance in Palutena's Guidance.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Geno.png

Dalek_Kolt Dalek_Kolt made a Geno icon. I didn't think he would so I was going to make my own. Don't have to. Great because I'm lazy

So, if anyone just wants it without having to crop it out of the big image, here it is

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I really think the greatest threat to Geno's chances is not relevancy(Sakurai seems to admire the fact that he is popular despite his lack of games in recent years), but the fact that due to his nature as a Mario third party he has 2 avenues of competition, being possible Mario newcomers and possible Square Enix newcomers. I feel anyone from the Mario side is not that much of a threat on his chances, since Smash can get away with a lot of Mario characters due to the series status, but I worry about Square competition when it comes to newcomers.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The fact that Cloud is now on the base roster is actually good news for Geno. Sakurai has already stated that he wanted to include Geno as early as in Brawl, but that couldn't be finalised. Now I see him as more likely than ever. Am actually considering starting a SMRPG playthrough because of it. Or am gonna buy the SNES Mini? Because I never got the chance to play SMRPG, EarthBound and Super Metroid on the actual console - I only emulated them and all games but Super Metroid where not even released in Europe. So there's that.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I really think the greatest threat to Geno's chances is not relevancy(Sakurai seems to admire the fact that he is popular despite his lack of games in recent years), but the fact that due to his nature as a Mario third party he has 2 avenues of competition, being possible Mario newcomers and possible Square Enix newcomers. I feel anyone from the Mario side is not that much of a threat on his chances, since Smash can get away with a lot of Mario characters due to the series status, but I worry about Square competition when it comes to newcomers.
Agreed. The only real threat I see to Geno's inclusion is if Square Enix itself decides they wanna keep Geno behind bars for whatever reason, be it to include another Squenix character (gotta include muh Sora because MARKETING) or because he's "irrelevant" and putting him in wouldn't be a "profitable" decision or whatever. It's not super likely, but I can see it happening given how... sporadic Squenix can be sometimes.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
The fact that Cloud is now on the base roster is actually good news for Geno. Sakurai has already stated that he wanted to include Geno as early as in Brawl, but that couldn't be finalised. Now I see him as more likely than ever. Am actually considering starting a SMRPG playthrough because of it. Or am gonna buy the SNES Mini? Because I never got the chance to play SMRPG, EarthBound and Super Metroid on the actual console - I only emulated them and all games but Super Metroid where not even released in Europe. So there's that.
I get it and I agree, but there is that worry in the back of my head that Square might try and talk Sakurai into doing something from Dragon Quest or Kingdom Hearts. In the end, I do think Sakurai has full choice on what he wants from Square(If Konami can be used as evidence, the fact that Bomberman is an assist says alot about what Sakurai has available to him from third parties), especially since Cloud was probably heavily requested from Square, the Geno costume with all its implications, the fact that Dragon Quest has little power outside of Japan, and someone from Kingdom Hearts being majorly brought down due to the Disney influence. That last one isn't even just because Disney being very stingy, there is also the fact that Sakurai has always tried to avoid things from outside gaming, so choosing a character who has Mickeys head as a key chain and Disney icons as party members would irk him very much. If it is all up to him, I have no doubt Sakurai would choose Geno.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I get it and I agree, but there is that worry in the back of my head that Square might try and talk Sakurai into doing something from Dragon Quest or Kingdom Hearts. In the end, I do think Sakurai has full choice on what he wants from Square(If Konami can be used as evidence, the fact that Bomberman is an assist says alot about what Sakurai has available to him from third parties), especially since Cloud was probably heavily requested from Square, the Geno costume with all its implications, the fact that Dragon Quest has little power outside of Japan, and someone from Kingdom Hearts being majorly brought down due to the Disney influence. That last one isn't even just because Disney being very stingy, there is also the fact that Sakurai has always tried to avoid things from outside gaming, so choosing a character who has Mickeys head as a key chain and Disney icons as party members would irk him very much. If it is all up to him, I have no doubt Sakurai would choose Geno.
I don't even WANT Sora in the slighest, in fact, I'd much rather have them out. But I guess that 2D RPG Main Hero Guy Dude from that Switch-exclusive new old skool 2D RPG would make a lot of sense honestly. Because, y'know, that game only comes out for Switch and all and seems to establish a sort of restoration in the relationship of Nintendo and Square.

But the fact that Super Mario RPG was already on the SNES Mini is already a good sign for Geno. And Sakurai has downrightely stated he wanted him in, plus he arranged that Mii Costume. So I really dunno bro. Geno seems quite solid, and as a King K.Rool supporter, he seems even more likely than the obese, year long absent, crown throwing, banana stealing, blood shot-eyed king of Kremlings.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
But the fact that Super Mario RPG was already on the SNES Mini is already a good sign for Geno. And Sakurai has downrightely stated he wanted him in, plus he arranged that Mii Costume. So I really dunno bro. Geno seems quite solid, and as a King K.Rool supporter, he seems even more likely than the obese, year long absent, crown throwing, banana stealing, blood shot-eyed king of Kremlings.
I agree whole heartily. And I do have to say, while I only vocaly support Geno and Ashley as of now, I do hope the king of the Kremlins gets in as well. I was not there to witness the speculation in full back then, but it almost seems like Ridley, Geno, and King K. Rool were like the tri-force of Brawl speculation. And while Ridley and K. Rool went on to be major players in Smash 4, Geno was kinda left behind and isnt as noticed much anymore. Now that Ridley is in though, it just feels right to have the other two pieces follow.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
I used to feel that way honestly, but after considering the fact that Cloud and Geno were the only two characters we got in Smash 4, I don't think we really have to worry all that much about it -- the fact that those two characters were prioritized over other characters like Sora and Black Mage says a lot more about what Square and Nintendo thinks is valuable for Smash than not.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I don't even WANT Sora in the slighest, in fact, I'd much rather have them out. But I guess that 2D RPG Main Hero Guy Dude from that Switch-exclusive new old skool 2D RPG would make a lot of sense honestly. Because, y'know, that game only comes out for Switch and all and seems to establish a sort of restoration in the relationship of Nintendo and Square.

You mean Octopath Traveler? That doesn't make much sense. Sora would, although like you, I don't really want him in Smash. I would much rather have Geno or no new Square-Enix rep at all.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
You mean Octopath Traveler? That doesn't make much sense. Sora would, although like you, I don't really want him in Smash. I would much rather have Geno or no new Square-Enix rep at all.
I actually forgot about the Black Mage. But he also would make a lot of sense. And maybe you're right... without concrete sales the addition of Octopath Traveler might be far too early and far too risky.

Guess all bodes well for Geno at this time.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Octopath Traveler would be a DLC type of deal and considering Bravely Default got no content in Smash and that was the prior ''Square Exclusive" Nintendo franchise. I doubt it will either.

Black Mage would be cool, but I noticed on the crossover image that Sakurai showed to discuss how it's the biggest crossover in gaming history? It listed Final Fantasy as ''Final Fantasy VII", so unless he was just hiding the fact of a another Final Fantasy rep. I think Cloud is all Final Fantasy is getting in terms of playables.

Mogu

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
1728-6760-6013
I'm not too worried at all when it comes to Sakurai possibly choosing someone other than Geno from Square Enix. Weighing in how he has said he wanted Geno in (has interest in the character) and as Roger Smith just said, it said "Final Fantasy VII" instead of "Final Fantasy", I don't see a reason to even possibly think that if Sakurai approached Square that we'd get someone else as Square's 2nd playable rep.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I'm not a big Geno support but as loyal as of a fanbase he has and the recognition of a Mii costume I think there might be a good chance he could get in. It seems in this game he is going for full fan service with putting in everybody and even working Ridley in.

TBone06

Smash Ace
I was curious, does anyone know if there is a list for sales in regards to the Mii Costumes? I was interested in seeing where Geno's costume fared in terms of sales compared to other ones.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
I was thinking my friends, you know Sakurai loves to add in a retro rep to each game, but couldn't Geno technically qualify as one since I am sure we have to move to the 90s now. Put in a very requested character that is also retro, two birds with one stone I hope.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I was curious, does anyone know if there is a list for sales in regards to the Mii Costumes? I was interested in seeing where Geno's costume fared in terms of sales compared to other ones.
We will never know. Nintendo aggregates all download sales or all games.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
You know, I actually looked and couldn't find anything. Even Nintendo's yearly sales report only gives specific figures in terms of its machines, not any actual game at all. I wish they would release some figures vis-a-vis Smash 4 and the DLC.

Xigger

Smash Lord
Hmmmm...
-Sakurai considering adding Geno since brawl and never gave a reason why he wasn't included yet and he also sees him as a perfect fit.
-Square-enix bringing back Cloud
-Geno Mii costume was the only one with splash screen.
-The first battle theme of SMRPG being remixed in SSBU and hasn't been used in ages.
-Nintendo tweeting suddnly about SMRPG 22nd anniversary
-Nintendo asking in twitter whether we prefer Geno or Mallow instead of asking about Mario and Bowser and Peach
-no 3rd party newcomer in SSBU so far and Sakurai says don't expect many newcomers this time around but the picks so far are fan service.
Things are looking REALLY GREAT so far!!!
Mandatory return just to say: put me back on that support list! I always used to be hopeful, with the (removed) Forest Maze song in Brawl and the Mii costume, but now I have no doubts and I'm just waiting for confirmation. And thank you to this guy for making all the great points for me!

See you all in the Confirmed Characters Board this December.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
How would we feel if they did have the Geno/Mallow concept?

Or did we expect Mallow in his Final Smash?

Sakurai might do this so he gets the entire playable cast of Super Mario RPG into Smash in one go?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

Sakurai might do this so he gets the entire playable cast of Super Mario RPG into Smash in one go?
I do not see any tag team between the two happening, even in the final smash. I am actually expecting Mallow to be an assist trophy.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett

Not gonna lie, I'd be a little disappointed. Each character has the moveset potential to work as a standalone fighter, so seeing them both get in, but tethered together in a weird ball-n-chain system would be bittersweet at best and an utter disservice to both characters at worst. It'd be great, on the other hand, to see Geno get in as a fighter and Mallow in as an Assist Trophy.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I only throw this out because that tweet made mention of them both which was interesting to me, considering Mallow is so often less talked about when it comes Super Mario RPG.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
I'm sure Geno had the highest download of all the costumes. I can see Geno getting in as a fighter. And Mallow as an assist trophy. If it were my call, I'd have them BOTH because that's how much I love SMRPG. To me, Mallow means more to me then a huge bulk of the Smash roster. These characters are very near and dear to my heart.
I think our biggest asset is Sakurai, because the man himself loves the idea of Geno fitting into Smash(Nothing like having the director on your side huh?). With Square giving the green light for a costume last time, I don't know why they wouldn't give the ok to Sakurai's team to make Geno a fighter. And with Cloud already on board again, there's no excuses this time not to have Geno, if time was an issue for his inclusion last time. And with Square already attaching there name to the game this early, it seems like Sakurai is going to reveal Geno as playable in the next coming months. By now, I think I understand Sakurai's mind(he's a little unorthodox lol) and he loves to surprise the fans, which is why he hasn't come out and said the roster is final in the recent E3 Direct. He wants the fan bases to keep drumming up the hype. Which in our case is 22 years.

Last edited:

Reila

Seriously hoping Geno gets in more and more with each day. I am still super pumped about Inklings, my most wanted character since I first saw Splatoon at the 2013 (?) E3 and I want you guys to share the feeling — And I also want to enjoy playing Geno in Smash. I wonder what kind of character he would be. I don't want to make any bets since I thought Inkling was going to be a zoner, and turns out they are some sort of unorthodox rushdown character.

Question: What Super Mario RPG stage would come with Geno? Personally, I want Smithy's Factory with Smithy himself as a stage hazard. It would be fun. Plus, "Fight Against Smithy" is awesome.

Last edited:

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
Seriously hoping Geno gets in more and more with each day. I am still super pumped about Inklings, my most wanted character since I first saw Splatoon at the 2013 (?) E3 and I want you guys to share the feeling — And I also want to enjoy playing Geno in Smash. I wonder what kind of character he would be. I don't want to make any bets since I thought Inkling was going to be a zoner, and turns out they are some sort of unorthodox rushdown character.

Question: What Super Mario RPG stage would come with Geno? Personally, I want Smithy's Factory with Smithy himself as a stage hazard. It would be fun. Plus, "Fight Against Smithy" is awesome.
I would think Forest Maze would be the most reasonable option for Geno, but other options could include Smithy's Factory, the chandelier in Bowser's Keep, Nimbus Land, or even Kero Sewers with Belome as a hazard/boss.

Staarih

Smash Master
Forest Maze is so heavily linked to Geno so I find it hard to not see it as a stage of some sort. Totally fine by me, as I love the area. I kinda like the idea of the tree stump from Bowyer's fight, but maybe it's a bit too simple (maybe as an omega stage)? Though it really could be any stage, I never thought we'd get Moray Towers for Splatoon, so who knows. There are so many good locations in SMRPG, Star Road being a(nother) of my faves.

Whatever it is, the Forest Maze music has to be in (of course), I love that song and it's pretty much Geno's theme (used for his Mii costume reveal, for example).

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, we discussed how they could represent Mallow, but what about all the other SMRPG characters? I would love to see trophy's of Johnny, Jinx, Frogfucius, Belome, Boshi, Booster, or any of Smithy's gang. It would be so cool to see these characters in true 3D.

DjinnandTonic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-5629-0198
If Geno gets in as a full playable character, I think Mallow as an Assist Trophy is just -necessary-.

Also, if Geno gets in as a fully playable character, I really want him to make another appearance in the Mario+Luigi series as an actual character instead of just a cameo (doesn't have to be playable, but at least give him a speaking role in the game, or a boss fight or something).

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
If I recall, someone once asked what his role would be if this game had a story mode. I just realized, wouldn't he mistake the likes of Mega Man, Samus and R.O.B. as apart of Smithy's forces? In SMRPG the Smithy Gang was all about living weaponry, so it is possible there might be some confusion. I imagine it would all be cleared up right away, but I honestly would just love to see Mega Man and Geno face off. That would be super cool.

Reila

I would think Forest Maze would be the most reasonable option for Geno, but other options could include Smithy's Factory, the chandelier in Bowser's Keep, Nimbus Land, or even Kero Sewers with Belome as a hazard/boss.
Makes sense. It has been a while since I played it, and Smithy's Factory is the area that stuck to me the most.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Geno-Ultimate.gif

Tried to make an old school style support banner.

Think it needs some improvement.

Photoshop doesn't work quite the same as I'm used to

Needs to be faster maybe?
Geno60Ultimate.gif

Slower?
GenoRedoUltimate.gif

When it's too slow the fact it saves at 256 colors shows more

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I'd prefer to have a Dragon Quest rep from Square, but at the very least give me a Geno assist trophy.

Kooj Kooj

Smash Cadet
I've been very hopeful about Geno for a long time. Sign me up kiddos. He would be such a great addition, I honestly think he would fit right in.

Zema

Smash Journeyman
I'm sure Geno had the highest download of all the costumes. I can see Geno getting in as a fighter. And Mallow as an assist trophy. If it were my call, I'd have them BOTH because that's how much I love SMRPG. To me, Mallow means more to me then a huge bulk of the Smash roster. These characters are very near and dear to my heart.
I think our biggest asset is Sakurai, because the man himself loves the idea of Geno fitting into Smash(Nothing like having the director on your side huh?). With Square giving the green light for a costume last time, I don't know why they wouldn't give the ok to Sakurai's team to make Geno a fighter. And with Cloud already on board again, there's no excuses this time not to have Geno, if time was an issue for his inclusion last time. And with Square already attaching there name to the game this early, it seems like Sakurai is going to reveal Geno as playable in the next coming months. By now, I think I understand Sakurai's mind(he's a little unorthodox lol) and he loves to surprise the fans, which is why he hasn't come out and said the roster is final in the recent E3 Direct. He wants the fan bases to keep drumming up the hype. Which in our case is 22 years.
The more I think about it, the more I wonder if thr Geno costume was a way to test the waters and see how popular Geno was. It wasnt too risky on their part to make him a costume, after all.

Thats the thing that worries me the most, though. Geno is a risky character to add to the roster, and businesses hate risk when it comes to just about anything. There's a reason most Marvel movies follow the same format, or why there are yearly Assassin's Creed releases. On the upside, Nintendo doesn't really do this, and if Geno sold well that may be reason enough to add him to the roster.

On a more optimistic note, I wonder what a Geno inclusion could do for the character or SMRPG going forward. I also wonder how they would reveal him. I've had this idea in my head that Geno would secretly be Rosalina's Luma, and in a cinematic he would come to life to defend Rosalina after she's been K.O.d

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom