• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

TBone06

Smash Ace
I've been on Geno Watch for 11 years, 22 if you go back to 1996. And after seeing the way Sakurai operates, to me it seems like he really wanted to work with Square i.e. put Cloud in just so he could get Geno as a fighter. I believe he would have rather had Geno in before Cloud, if you look at the guy's track record for choosing characters. For him to give an interview where he lets the fans know he was trying to get Geno playable since Brawl behind the scenes, gives me so much hope it will happen this time.
I don't think you're wrong at all. I always try to look at facts regarding things like this and I've said before in this thread the fact that he is on record saying he wanted him playable is something rare. The fact that he backs him is as positive a sign as there could be. I'll always be optimistic, but cautiously optimistic. With the news of the latest string of tweets regarding the time of development only helps his chances. I'm with ya though. Played SMRPG back when it came out, and it's still one of my favourites.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Honestly, the statement Sakurai made about Geno in 2016 makes me wonder if Geno was actually planned for Smash Ultimate in December 2015. Was he hiding something when he made that statement in April of 2016? I am getting skeptical and confused at the same time right now.

Last edited:

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
Honestly, the statement Sakurai made about Geno in 2016 makes me wonder if Geno was actually planned for Smash Ultimate in December 2015. Was he hiding something when he made that statement in April of 2016? I am getting skeptical and confused at the same time right now.
"Famed Director Masahiro Sakurai claims that if he had his way, this would not be the case. He personally wanted Geno to be included in the game, but the decision was ultimately out of his hands." Hmm...

Could it have been that Cloud and Geno weren't able to be included together in playable form due to reasons other than licensing? Although we have Mega Man and Ryu, Mega Man was included within the game from the start while Ryu was DLC. Maybe there was something iffy with having two Square characters introduced within that close of a timespan.

Marxally

Smash Apprentice
If we get a second rep. for the third-party characters I really hope we get Geno as the second Square rep! Count me in!!!

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
"Famed Director Masahiro Sakurai claims that if he had his way, this would not be the case. He personally wanted Geno to be included in the game, but the decision was ultimately out of his hands." Hmm...

Could it have been that Cloud and Geno weren't able to be included together in playable form due to reasons other than licensing? Although we have Mega Man and Ryu, Mega Man was included within the game from the start while Ryu was DLC. Maybe there was something iffy with having two Square characters introduced within that close of a timespan.
Shouldn't be any problems now. There's plenty of time now with Cloud getting introduced already. And then they'll show Geno.

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
I was just thinking of something. What would his victory fanfare be?

I would obviously go for the standard victory fanfare from SMRPG, but a huge quality of life thing would be if they implemented the Culex victory fanfare when winning against Cloud. I would love to see that Square touch even in Smash.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I would obviously go for the standard victory fanfare from SMRPG, but a huge quality of life thing would be if they implemented the Culex victory fanfare when winning against Cloud. I would love to see that Square touch even in Smash.
I just realized, we would have Geno and Final Fantasy meeting up in this game, so does that mean Culex might make an appearance in some shape or form? I mean, it is hinted that he is from the FF universe, so...

Mogu

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
1728-6760-6013
I just realized, we would have Geno and Final Fantasy meeting up in this game, so does that mean Culex might make an appearance in some shape or form? I mean, it is hinted that he is from the FF universe, so...
Almost makes me want a SMRPG transitioning stage and one of the forms being the cross-dimensional region you fight Culex in with him as a boss.
Almost.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace

Victory Fanfare from Mario RPG no doubt.
And his stage would be the Forest Maze.
And Mallow as an Assist Trophy. He would hit Thunder bolt on the other fighters.

TBone06

Smash Ace
Culex would be so cool as an AT, but personally I think it's unlikely. I would think if Super Mario RPG gets represented, it would be the stand outs. I definitely can see a Mallow AT. But man, that would be INSANE if there was a FF/SMRPG crossover stage that had both. Personally I think if we see Geno, we see Mallow as well, be it as an AT or part of a final smash.

Mogu

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
1728-6760-6013
To me, Sakurai's last Geno comment and the project plan points toward good things down Geno's path. The pessimistic ways of perceiving it in the Smash Ultimate discussion thread make no sense to me. :dizzy:

TBone06

Smash Ace
Yeah, those views are views of someone who doesn't like the character. If you have the creator's stamp of approval, how can that not be a good thing? I understand I'm a bit biased (as we all are) but to think that's not a positive is completely naive.

TBone06

Smash Ace
What last Geno comment?
"Yes. He's incredibly popular. Even though he's an old character, we keep getting loads of votes and requests for us to put him in the game. Even though he still isn't in as a playable fighter, I made sure he'd be in as a Mii costume so his fans would at least feel that they got something."

That one. In the main Smash discussion there were a couple of people saying they think this hurts his chances for Ultimate. But it honestly sounds like people who just don't want him in the game and are looking for reasons for him not to be included.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
"Yes. He's incredibly popular. Even though he's an old character, we keep getting loads of votes and requests for us to put him in the game. Even though he still isn't in as a playable fighter, I made sure he'd be in as a Mii costume so his fans would at least feel that they got something."

That one. In the main Smash discussion there were a couple of people saying they think this hurts his chances for Ultimate. But it honestly sounds like people who just don't want him in the game and are looking for reasons for him not to be included.
Oh that? Like I said, I take that as he didn't have enough time to make Geno a fighter, so he did what he could so we didn't feel ignored.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

*facepalm*

That's the same reason king k rool got a alt

That doesn't hurt him at all

He could of had more time for him this time.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
*facepalm*

That's the same reason king k rool got a alt

That doesn't hurt him at all

He could of had more time for him this time.
Why is it that so many people seem to pass off Geno as some super unlikely choice that has no chance. There have been so many people who look down upon him, yet his only negative is his lack of relevance. He is one of two characters who has been acknowledged by Sakurai himself, the other being in the game now, has been considered twice and the one thing that held him back both times is now gone, and we know he did well in the ballot due to Sakurai saying so. Heck, the Geno costume is the only costume that has been confirmed to be a sort of consolation prize for doing well in the ballot, all the others have been mainly us speculating that was there reason for being put in(With the Geno costume being the main evidence to this purpose). So I don't get it.

TBone06

Smash Ace
Why is it that so many people seem to pass off Geno as some super unlikely choice that has no chance. There have been so many people who look down upon him, yet his only negative is his lack of relevance. He is one of two characters who has been acknowledged by Sakurai himself, the other being in the game now, has been considered twice and the one thing that held him back both times is now gone, and we know he did well in the ballot due to Sakurai saying so. Heck, the Geno costume is the only costume that has been confirmed to be a sort of consolation prize for doing well in the ballot, all the others have been mainly us speculating that was there reason for being put in(With the Geno costume being the main evidence to this purpose). So I don't get it.
Unfortunately a lot of people will just for a lack of a better term "piss on our parade". There is no question that Geno is an odd case. Being a third party character from one game where he wasn't even the main guy that was made over 20 years ago is enough for a lot of people to be turned off right away, without even being open to the idea. These may be people who never played SMRPG, or were born after it. There are a lot of reasons, but the other thing I think is that people might start to realize he's becoming a bit more likely, and that threatens their characters that they are supporting. I also feel like it's a love him or hate him situation with no inbetween. People often times are irrational when they are behind a screen. That's why I try and use logic or facts whether it's something I support or don't. But a lot of people who oppose Geno do it out of spite. At least that's what I've seen.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
You know I'm supporting geno right?

Besides the December 2015 thing sakurai highly considered geno twice

With this I say he has a good shot for 3rd party slot since he definitely probably got high votes in the ballot

I hope he's get in with king k rool

Zema

Smash Journeyman
There are a lot of reasons, but the other thing I think is that people might start to realize he's becoming a bit more likely, and that threatens their characters that they are supporting. I also feel like it's a love him or hate him situation with no inbetween. People often times are irrational when they are behind a screen. That's why I try and use logic or facts whether it's something I support or don't. But a lot of people who oppose Geno do it out of spite. At least that's what I've seen.
I think a lot of it is due to how the fanbase used to be around Brawl. I remember seeing Geno mentioned pretty much everywhere back then, and it probably annoyed those who had no interest in the character back then. Maybe that animosity has stuck. Others are probably tired of hearing about this character that obviously has no chance of getting into Smash in their eyes and would rather people discuss other potential newcomers instead of "wasting time" on considering Geno. I know I tend to feel the same way when it comes to the recently hilariously-christened "Waluigi extremists".

One thing you have to admire, however, is how far this side character from a supposedly obscure game from 20 years ago still manages to find a non-negligible amount of support. This fanbase has been through heartbreak more than once at this point, after all, yet it still hopes to one day see one of the greatest games of all time properly celebrated in the ultimate celebration game.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
One thing you have to admire, however, is how far this side character from a supposedly obscure game from 20 years ago still manages to find a non-negligible amount of support. This fanbase has been through heartbreak more than once at this point, after all, yet it still hopes to one day see one of the greatest games of all time properly celebrated in the ultimate celebration game.
That is one reason I support Geno. Trust me, I have little history with Geno, and I have not been a supporter of him for a decade like some people here. But I always like it when people who have fought long and hard for something get what they want. Just look at the Ridley thread after his conformation. That was an end of an era.
You know I'm supporting geno right?

Besides the December 2015 thing sakurai highly considered geno twice

With this I say he has a good shot for 3rd party slot since he definitely probably got high votes in the ballot

I hope he's get in with king k rool
I do know that. Heck, I support K. Rool as well, I am just focusing my efforts to two character right now, being Geno and Ashley. Sorry if it seems like I was against you, I was kinda just adding my own thoughts on the matter.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Just wanna say this is the most reasonable and chill group in Smash discussion I've been a part of. I love this thread.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
You know, I just realized, in the very same interview where Geno's Mii costume was discussed, the matter of Inkling Mii costumes were explained by Sakurai too:

http://sourcegaming.info/2016/02/21/nintendodream3/

"—Right now, Splatoon is really popular, but was releasing a Mii costume right as Splatoon launched always part of the plan?

Sakurai: Yes. Of course, I knew them from E3, and of course I wanted to include new Nintendo characters. If there were other similarly new Nintendo characters, they may have gotten the same treatment as well."

Since Inklings were planned for Smash Ultimate, he never hinted their inclusion in the new Smash when it came to this Nintendo Dream column. So maybe I should not take his word on Geno here that seriously, maybe he purposely disguised his words and was planning Inklings and Geno all along.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
I think a lot of it is due to how the fanbase used to be around Brawl. I remember seeing Geno mentioned pretty much everywhere back then, and it probably annoyed those who had no interest in the character back then. Maybe that animosity has stuck. Others are probably tired of hearing about this character that obviously has no chance of getting into Smash in their eyes and would rather people discuss other potential newcomers instead of "wasting time" on considering Geno. I know I tend to feel the same way when it comes to the recently hilariously-christened "Waluigi extremists".

I know. It's surprising for many people to believe Geno's rise in the Smash community. But not to his fans. He's been getting closer to being playable each game.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, I just realized, in the very same interview where Geno's Mii costume was discussed, the matter of Inkling Mii costumes were explained by Sakurai too:

"—Right now, Splatoon is really popular, but was releasing a Mii costume right as Splatoon launched always part of the plan?

Sakurai: Yes. Of course, I knew them from E3, and of course I wanted to include new Nintendo characters. If there were other similarly new Nintendo characters, they may have gotten the same treatment as well."

Since Inklings were planned for Smash Ultimate, he never hinted their inclusion in the new Smash when it came to this Nintendo Dream column. So maybe I should not take his word on Geno here that seriously, maybe he purposely disguised his words and was planning Inklings and Geno all along.
That makes sense considering when the pitch for Ultimate was happening. He would have known that Inklings were a shoe in at the time. I sill think we should trust his word about how much he wanted Geno in, makes no sense otherwise. The only thing he would hide is, of course, the plans to make them playable.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Of course Sakurai is smart enough not to give away who's going to be a fighter in the developing "Ultimate". Plus, he's not wrong. Geno wasn't a playable fighter at that time.

Just have to hope the ballot worked in Geno's favor. Worked enough to get him a costume. Now, onto the next step

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Of course Sakurai is smart enough not to give away who's going to be a fighter in the developing "Ultimate". Plus, he's not wrong. Geno wasn't a playable fighter at that time.

Just have to hope the ballot worked in Geno's favor. Worked enough to get him a costume. Now, onto the next step
Really, a lot of the costumes are suspicious, especially after the Inklings graduated from them. Geno, Ashley, K. Roll, Chrom are all popular and have surged in popularity(With Chrom and Ashley being strangely MIA). Knuckles went from costume to AT. This all sorta helps the cause of multiple groups with the others successes.

TBone06

Smash Ace
I know. It's surprising for many people to believe Geno's rise in the Smash community. But not to his fans. He's been getting closer to being playable each game.
Which is kind of amazing when you think about it, because no other character (at least in my opinion) is like him. On paper, he should not have this kind of popularity.

Really, a lot of the costumes are suspicious, especially after the Inklings graduated from them. Geno, Ashley, K. Roll, Chrom are all popular and have surged in popularity(With Chrom and Ashley being strangely MIA). Knuckles went from costume to AT. This all sorta helps the cause of multiple groups with the others successes.
I agree with this too. I don't actively support Ashley or Chrom, but I wouldn't be surprised if either of them get in and I'd be happy for both of them (for the fans). K. Rool is my number two as he's been a character I've supported since Brawl as well. Frankly, I can see all four of them getting in. But I think where there's smoke there is fire. I also feel there's a reason we got some other newcomers released right away for AT's (Waluigi, Bomberman, Takamaru, Krystal) because it will cause intrigue and speculation, and I think it's a way to let some fans down without dragging the whole process.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I do have to say though, I noticed something weird about Geno's costume. We have already noted how it was the only costume that got a character reveal style introduction screen, but there is one more interesting difference. While every other costume was released in packs that ranged to 6 to 9 costumes, Geno was the exception. He was the only full costume of his pack. I find this interesting, since we have discussed if the sale of the costume would effect if he became playable. It would be really easy for Sakurai to gauge his popularity if he was the only costume available for over a month.

farvin111

Smash Journeyman
It's so crazy. Back in the pre brawl days, I remember Geno being a huge suggestion along with Sonic. I didn't grow up with SMRPG, so all I thought was "who?". I still haven't played the game so I still don't know him, but the fact that there's been support of him for over 10 years now is pretty cool and reminds me of those days.

That said, while I'm pretty neutral on Geno all around, objectively he does have a good chance for the reasons stated in this thread. I hope he makes it in just so others are happy.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord

I love me some Geno! He is my 2nd most wanted this time around. It annoys me how the interviewer asked about nearly everything, except say Knuckles or King K Rool. Asking instead about Lloyd Irving, who I was completely unaware of as a character until the costume..lol.

Last edited:

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583

I was just thinking about this recently, and I'd actually go with this, right at about 54 seconds in:

If the tune ended with one repetition and a more final note (I'm not sure of the musical term, lol) then I think that could work. It seems like it's Geno's main theme.

I love me some Geno! He is my 2nd most wanted this time around. It annoys me how the interviewer asked about nearly everything, except say Knuckles or King K Rool. Asking instead about Lloyd Irving, who I was completely unaware of as a character until the costume..lol.
About that Lloyd question...I find this bit interesting:

Sakurai: I really think it has to be Lloyd here (laughs). I could have gone down the route of choosing from the first entry in the series, but for old games it’s somewhat common for the editorial supervision from the original creator to make the process difficult.

Perhaps this is why there have been difficulties with getting Geno on the roster? Maybe his creator/original director isn't liking it, not Squeenix? I can hardly imagine a creator not wanting their character in Smash, but then why did Sakurai mention this is common?

Zema

Smash Journeyman
I was just thinking about this recently, and I'd actually go with this, right at about 54 seconds in:

If the tune ended with one repetition and a more final note (I'm not sure of the musical term, lol) then I think that could work. It seems like it's Geno's main theme.

About that Lloyd question...I find this bit interesting:

Sakurai: I really think it has to be Lloyd here (laughs). I could have gone down the route of choosing from the first entry in the series, but for old games it’s somewhat common for the editorial supervision from the original creator to make the process difficult.

Perhaps this is why there have been difficulties with getting Geno on the roster? Maybe his creator/original director isn't liking it, not Squeenix? I can hardly imagine a creator not wanting their character in Smash, but then why did Sakurai mention this is common?
If I remember correctly, there was an interview with the creators of SMRPG saying that they did not want to make a SMRPG 2. It could be that the creators believe that SMRPG should just be left as is, and just remain a quirky one-off game that is fondly remembered, nothing more and nothing less.

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
Geno was a character that I had always thought was a weird character to be such a popular contender for Smash. Now don't get me wrong, I love SMRPG (Remember that Rawst Forest song that was all over the place on Youtube? That song was constantly stuck in my head as a kid, and it led to me buying the game on Virtual Console), and Geno always seemed like a badass character to me. But he always seemed like sort of a "no-hoper," to me, for reasons I'm sure you guys are all familiar with. So even though he was a character that I would have been happy to see, I thought he would never get in, so I didn't really show much support for the guy. But I gotta say, considering the fan-pleasing approach of Ultimate, and Geno's notoriety as a popular fan-requested character, Geno really does seem like he's got a real shot at being a Newcomer. Like K. Rool, I feel that his Mii Costume bodes well for his chances, and I just wanted to say that I'd be thrilled to see him in the game. You can put me down as a supporter.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Geno was a character that I had always thought was a weird character to be such a popular contender for Smash. Now don't get me wrong, I love SMRPG (Remember that Rawst Forest song that was all over the place on Youtube? That song was constantly stuck in my head as a kid, and it led to me buying the game on Virtual Console), and Geno always seemed like a badass character to me. But he always seemed like sort of a "no-hoper," to me, for reasons I'm sure you guys are all familiar with. So even though he was a character that I would have been happy to see, I thought he would never get in, so I didn't really show much support for the guy. But I gotta say, considering the fan-pleasing approach of Ultimate, and Geno's notoriety as a popular fan-requested character, Geno really does seem like he's got a real shot at being a Newcomer. Like K. Rool, I feel that his Mii Costume bodes well for his chances, and I just wanted to say that I'd be thrilled to see him in the game. You can put me down as a supporter.
Geno making it in Smash would actually be symbolic in a way. He'd be proof that anyone can make it in with enough fans. Should encourage people to start supporting characters they actually like, and not just ones they think have a chance.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
If people really support characters just because they think they are likely? That's kind of sad.

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
Geno making it in Smash would actually be symbolic in a way. He'd be proof that anyone can make it in with enough fans. Should encourage people to start supporting characters they actually like, and not just ones they think have a chance.
Exactly. While I do think that tempering your expectations to certain characters is important, some people may very well be underestimating the chances of their favorites. I think that Ridley's inclusion is what really convinced me that Geno could happen. Sakurai gave his reasoning on why he didn't include Ridley, but the fans made their voices heard, and managed to convince him to add him into Ultimate. I'll admit, Ridley was another character that I thought would be super rad, but I took Sakurai's comment on him as a de-confirmation forever like many others did. But lo and behold, he made it after all. Geno seems like a similar case in my eyes and the stars look aligned for him this time around (hehe).

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
If people really support characters just because they think they are likely? That's kind of sad.
Lots of people like certain characters, but never really give them time of day because they know they shouldn't get their hopes up. Every character has tons of silent fans out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom