• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
The more I think about it, the more I wonder if thr Geno costume was a way to test the waters and see how popular Geno was. It wasnt too risky on their part to make him a costume, after all.

Thats the thing that worries me the most, though. Geno is a risky character to add to the roster, and businesses hate risk when it comes to just about anything. There's a reason most Marvel movies follow the same format, or why there are yearly Assassin's Creed releases. On the upside, Nintendo doesn't really do this, and if Geno sold well that may be reason enough to add him to the roster.

On a more optimistic note, I wonder what a Geno inclusion could do for the character or SMRPG going forward. I also wonder how they would reveal him. I've had this idea in my head that Geno would secretly be Rosalina's Luma, and in a cinematic he would come to life to defend Rosalina after she's been K.O.d
Seeing as Sakurai has the most stroke I don't think it's risky putting in any characters. I mean as long as they're from a video game. I mean he's taking a risk by having every fighter ever in. Even Pichu.

Mogu

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
1728-6760-6013
The more I think about it, the more I wonder if thr Geno costume was a way to test the waters and see how popular Geno was. It wasnt too risky on their part to make him a costume, after all.

Thats the thing that worries me the most, though. Geno is a risky character to add to the roster, and businesses hate risk when it comes to just about anything. There's a reason most Marvel movies follow the same format, or why there are yearly Assassin's Creed releases. On the upside, Nintendo doesn't really do this, and if Geno sold well that may be reason enough to add him to the roster.

On a more optimistic note, I wonder what a Geno inclusion could do for the character or SMRPG going forward. I also wonder how they would reveal him. I've had this idea in my head that Geno would secretly be Rosalina's Luma, and in a cinematic he would come to life to defend Rosalina after she's been K.O.d
Two things.
1. I love that reveal idea but do wonder where the iconic doll would come from for him to take over and use once again.
2. That's something that excites me about Geno being playable in Smash. Could be me just thinking optimistically but maybe we can finally have a true SMRPG 2 if there is enough buzz and love. A guy can dream.

QrowinSP

Smash Journeyman
Personally I was doubtful about his inclusion for a while. But this is fanservice: the smash game. I wonder if how popular he was, even if some of the hype has died down, could mean good things for him.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I'd be so angry with a Geno AT, and a DQ playable character tbh

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
Find it interesting how Knuckles is now an AT. In Wii U he was only a costume. It shows that Sakurai is shuffling things around. Hopefully that means Geno was promoted from costume to playable fighter.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Seeing as Sakurai has the most stroke I don't think it's risky putting in any characters. I mean as long as they're from a video game. I mean he's taking a risk by having every fighter ever in. Even Pichu.
There is not any risk at all because the high demand of Geno easily makes up for it. He will be a profitable addition for Square Enix, whether they realize it or not.

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
Find it interesting how Knuckles is now an AT. In Wii U he was only a costume. It shows that Sakurai is shuffling things around. Hopefully that means Geno was promoted from costume to playable fighter.
That's something I have noticed, as well as a lot of other people. Inklings went from Mii costume to playable fighter, Ridley from stage hazard to playable fighter, Knuckles from Mii costume to assist trophy. It seems like a lot of things were tested in Smash 4 to see the reactions and feedback from the community on those inclusions. Hopefully Geno makes it to playable fighter and doesn't sit at Assist Trophy territory with Knuckles.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Yikes, has anyone been keeping up with what's happening in the Waluigi fandom? if our dream of Geno as a character in Smash Ultimate doesn't come to fruition I hope those kind of things don't start happening from Geno fans.

I know I sent a "Thank You" tweet to Sakurai when he was a costume in Smash 4

Last edited:

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
Yikes, has anyone been keeping up with what's happening in the Waluigi fandom? if our dream of Geno as a character in Smash Ultimate doesn't come to fruition I hope those kind of things don't start happening from Geno fans.

Hopefully not. For a group that's been wanting him since Melee, we've surprisingly went under the radar compared to other characters. I hope if Geno doesn't get included it won't be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Kooj Kooj

Smash Cadet

I genuinely don't expect that. It tends to be very vocal fanbases that over-react to these things (Ridley and Waluigi come to mind.) Geno's fanbase is more reserved I think because Geno fans, by nature, are mostly in the 20's or older, given that the character himself is over 20 years old and only made the one appearance. He's not generating a lot of new fans compared to other, more consistently recurring characters. A bunch of 30 year old men sitting around are probably not going to react as explosively as a bunch of teenage boys.

Besides we won't have any reason to get disappointed AMIRITE FELLAS? ;););)

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
Hopefully not. For a group that's been wanting him since Melee, we've surprisingly went under the radar compared to other characters. I hope if Geno doesn't get included it won't be the straw that breaks the camel's back.
I'm honestly growing increasingly concerned because I'm seeing the old patterns from back in the Brawl days being repeated as momentum builds up for Smash 5 -- patterns I, too, am falling under: bandwagoning only because circumstances look favorable for Geno, people becoming overconfident in his inclusion when we don't really know anything yet, etc.

That's not to say that what we do know and can see don't indicate that the stars are aligning for Geno's return. It's just if we make the mistake of jumping the gun and only showing support when the weather is fair for him, we won't be able to build a consistent, reliable, mature fanbase.

Since I've been falling into that trap too, I will temper my enthusiasm with the knowledge that anything can happen -- for better or for worse.

I really REALLY don't want us to engage in any kind of backlash if Geno turns out to be an AT or a Mii costume again.

Last edited:

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace

I was very thankful that he got a costume. I took it like a man when Geno didn't get anything in Brawl. I have a life and it won't ruin me if Geno doesn't make it again.

I'm honestly growing increasingly concerned because I'm seeing the old patterns from back in the Brawl days being repeated as momentum builds up for Smash 5 -- patterns I, too, am falling under: bandwagoning only because circumstances look favorable for Geno, people becoming overconfident in his inclusion when we don't really know anything yet, etc.

That's not to say that what we do know and can see don't indicate that the stars are aligning for Geno's return. It's just if we make the mistake of jumping the gun and only showing support when the weather is fair for him, we won't be able to build a consistent, reliable, mature fanbase.

Since I've been falling into that trap too, I will temper my enthusiasm with the knowledge that anything can happen -- for better or for worse.

I really REALLY don't want us to engage in any kind of backlash if Geno turns out to be an AT or a Mii costume again.
Myself personally, I was shocked Geno got a costume. The character hasn't been in a game in 20+ years, and to get recognition and hear that the director is a huge fan of the character was an honor. If Samurai puts Geno in as a fighter, it will be euphoric. But when he got a costume on Wii U I felt honored just to have him around in some way again after all these years.

Zema

Smash Journeyman
Myself personally, I was shocked Geno got a costume. The character hasn't been in a game in 20+ years, and to get recognition and hear that the director is a huge fan of the character was an honor. If Samurai puts Geno in as a fighter, it will be euphoric. But when he got a costume on Wii U I felt honored just to have him around in some way again after all these years.
I was quite shocked as well. It was a very bittersweet moment, seeing Geno finally make another cameo after years of nothing. I felt pretty sad that he wasn't a fully playable character... but a Mii Costume is something, and something is better than nothing.

Also Samurai lul

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
I was quite shocked as well. It was a very bittersweet moment, seeing Geno finally make another cameo after years of nothing. I felt pretty sad that he wasn't a fully playable character... but a Mii Costume is something, and something is better than nothing.

Also Samurai lul
Uh...autocorrect. *Sakurai*

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I guess I'm not like everyone else, I wasn't happy that he got a Mii costume, but I wasn't raging either.

The thing is, there's becoming a finer and finer line between what is and isn't considered backlash these days. Say he gets back as a Mii costume or AT, what amount of disapproval would I be allowed to show? I'm not one for harassing anyone, but sometimes people overreact to how others are reacting, you know? Like I'm not gonna be happy about it, and I'm still going to want Geno playable, does that make me unappreciative?

Last edited:

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
I guess I'm not like everyone else, I wasn't happy that he got a Mii costume, but I wasn't raging either.

The thing is, there's becoming a finer and finer line between what is and isn't considered backlash these days. Say he gets back as a Mii costume or AT, what amount of disapproval would I be allowed to show? I'm not one for harassing anyone, but sometimes people overreact to how others are reacting, you know? Like I'm not gonna be happy about it, and I'm still going to want Geno playable, does that make me unappreciative?
I feel the same way. I definitely won't throw a fit or anything as I'm used to expecting nothing by now. But all this Geno support since the Brawl days has been to get him as a playable character. Since he got a costume in smash 4 and Sakurai has spoken on multiple occassions about him after that, I'm certainly not going to feel thankful if he's anything but a playable character. If anything it's getting harder and harder to hear the creator and director of the game say "I wanted Geno playable" after each new installment.

Believe me I will love smash no matter what as I always do, but after 10+ years of support nothing but playable character is going to bring a smile to my face when it comes to Geno

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace

Not at all. You'd have every right to be unhappy about it. But there's a way to go about it.
Those fans crossed the line with posting offensive pictures on the man's social media. C'mon. It's like when sports fans overreact to their team after a loss. Like lighting a car on fire.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Not at all. You'd have every right to be unhappy about it. But there's a way to go about it.
Those fans crossed the line with posting offensive pictures on the man's social media. C'mon. It's like when sports fans overreact to their team after a loss. Like lighting a car on fire.
I'm still not 100% aware of what they did tbh. I just heard they were harassing him, which is BS, but then again some people are taking offense to some harmless memes, so I don't think I should ridicule anyone just yet until I get the full picture.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
I feel the same way. I definitely won't throw a fit or anything as I'm used to expecting nothing by now. But all this Geno support since the Brawl days has been to get him as a playable character. Since he got a costume in smash 4 and Sakurai has spoken on multiple occassions about him after that, I'm certainly not going to feel thankful if he's anything but a playable character. If anything it's getting harder and harder to hear the creator and director of the game say "I wanted Geno playable" after each new installment.

Believe me I will love smash no matter what as I always do, but after 10+ years of support nothing but playable character is going to bring a smile to my face when it comes to Geno
It's hard I know. But we're so close, it's worth hoping for.

Xigger

Smash Lord
I loved the Mii Costume because it was more than I expected, and I would be ecstatic even for an Assist Trophy! All it takes is one official 3D model for Geno to be immortalized in VR Chat and Smash mods.

That said... I got nervous when they started showing Assist Trophies. I felt bad for the Waluigi fans, and worried that I would feel their pain if my boy Geno popped up.

Takasmash

Smash Ace
It will not make allot sense if Geno is a assist trophy he got so much move set to be his own character and I didn't get why Square didn't let Sakurai use Geno for Brawl and Smash 4 they not doing nothing with Geno they might it well give SMRPG content to Nintendo we're never getting a sequel.

Last edited:

TBone06

Smash Ace
The Mii costume was a blessing in disguise in my eyes.
To me that shows that he hasn't been forgotten. I won't lie, if it wasn't added, I think his chance diminishes to next to nothing. I think this was an acknowledgement to fans as we weren't getting him on top of Cloud as playable at the time of his inclusion. The fact we got anything is quite meaningful in my opinion. I don't think it makes a lot of sense to add him as an AT at this point. All the signs point to Sakurai including him, but of course we'll have to wait and see.

Last edited:

DjinnandTonic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-5629-0198
As much as I love Geno, I would, in no way, expect him to be a playable fighter. It's certainly -possible-, but it's a bit too much expectation to let his inclusion or not color your opinion of Smash 5.

I personally will enjoy the collection of awesome Nintendo characters we have, and be happily surprised if someone I want like Geno makes it in (be it as an Assist Trophy, Costume, or proper Fighter).

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
To me that shows that he hasn't been forgotten. I won't lie, if it wasn't added, I think his chance diminishes to next to nothing. I think this was an acknowledgement to fans as we weren't getting him on top of Cloud as playable at the time of his inclusion. The fact we got anything is quite meaningful in my opinion. I don't think it makes a lot of sense to add him as an AT at this point. All the signs point to Sakurai including him, but of course we'll have to wait and see.
I've been on Geno Watch for 11 years, 22 if you go back to 1996. And after seeing the way Sakurai operates, to me it seems like he really wanted to work with Square i.e. put Cloud in just so he could get Geno as a fighter. I believe he would have rather had Geno in before Cloud, if you look at the guy's track record for choosing characters. For him to give an interview where he lets the fans know he was trying to get Geno playable since Brawl behind the scenes, gives me so much hope it will happen this time.

Last edited:

Mogu

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
1728-6760-6013
As much as I love Geno, I would, in no way, expect him to be a playable fighter. It's certainly -possible-, but it's a bit too much expectation to let his inclusion or not color your opinion of Smash 5.

I personally will enjoy the collection of awesome Nintendo characters we have, and be happily surprised if someone I want like Geno makes it in (be it as an Assist Trophy, Costume, or proper Fighter).
While I agree to not 100% expect him, I think it's super likely that he'll be playable this time around, judging by how Sakurai included both Snake and Ridley due to popular demand and how the game's subtitle in Japan is Special and in the US (for instance) it's Ultimate. Plus bringing back all characters from past Smash games and possibly (not confirmed but looking likely) all stages? This is coming off as Super Fan Service Bros.!

Personally, I'm at 80 or 90 percent. Don't know about the rest of you.
And no, to clarify again, I'm not changing to 100 percent expecting him as playable no matter what happens. I know that could lead to personal disaster.

Last edited:

L2 Sentinel

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't advise anyone 100% expecting any character to join the roster, even super obvious ones. While I'm confident that Geno will make the cut this time, I'm also old enough to know it's a mistake to think something is guaranteed to happen when it isn't.

CF711

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't advise anyone 100% expecting any character to join the roster, even super obvious ones. While I'm confident that Geno will make the cut this time, I'm also old enough to know it's a mistake to think something is guaranteed to happen when it isn't.
Exactly. Like I've been seeing people say that an Arms Rep is guaranteed 100%. While it is certainly possible that there will be, it's not a 100% certainty. Until it is announced and seen in game, it's not 100% guaranteed.

That being said, as someone who has wanted Geno since back in the Brawl days, his chances certainly look good here.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
While I agree to not 100% expect him, I think it's super likely that he'll be playable this time around, judging by how Sakurai included both Snake and Ridley due to popular demand and how the game's subtitle in Japan is Special and in the US (for instance) it's Ultimate. Plus bringing back all characters from past Smash games and possibly (not confirmed but looking likely) all stages? This is coming off as Super Fan Service Bros.!

Personally, I'm at 80 or 90 percent. Don't know about the rest of you.
And no, to clarify again, I'm not changing to 100 percent expecting him as playable no matter what happens. I know that could lead to personal disaster.
Exactly. I've never believed more than now that Geno will be a playable fighter.

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
While this news does boost the chances of ballot picks (i.e. us) exponentially, I think it's necessary for us to reconsider if and how we need to reframe our understanding of the Geno costume situation. After all, if what Sakurai says is true, that costume was released around the time Smash Ultimate's roster was finalized. So now, I think we need to consider if that costume was really just a consolation prize for fans of a character Sakurai already knew he couldn't get playable in the next game at the time, or if he was simply teasing us and/or making the necessary negotiations to get that character in a future installment. I, personally, am inclined to believe the latter - after all, if Squenix OK'd a Geno Mii costume as a bonus with Cloud, then why wouldn't they give the green light to him being a playable character around the same time if their golden boy was already in? - but both, I believe, are possibilities that we, as a support base, need to consider. There's also the matter of him just showing his hand with the Geno comments he made in early 2016, which doesn't strike me as a Sakurai move if he was already planned to be playable in the next installment. This hardly kills our chances, but I suggest we temper our expectations in case he doesn't get in. Besides, there's always DLC if that's the case.

Last edited:

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
Apparently the project plan for Smash Ultimate was finished in December of 2015.

This was right as Bayonetta was revealed, which could hint that the roster for this game was heavily based off of the Ballot that ended in October of that year. If this is the case, Geno's chances have just gone up by an insane amount, as well as characters like K. Rool, Bandana Dee, etc.
Nice find Slender! I like the sound of that.

While this news does boost the chances of ballot picks (i.e. us) exponentially, I think it's necessary for us to reconsider if and how we need to reframe our understanding of the Geno costume situation. After all, if what Sakurai says is true, that costume was released around the time Smash Ultimate's roster was finalized. So now, I think we need to consider if that costume was really just a consolation prize for fans of a character Sakurai already knew he couldn't get playable in the next game at the time, or if he was simply teasing us and/or making the necessary negotiations to get that character in a future installment. I, personally, am inclined to believe the latter - after all, if Squenix OK'd a Geno Mii costume as a bonus with Cloud, then why wouldn't they give the green light to him being a playable character around the same time if their golden boy was already in? - but both, I believe, are possibilities that we, as a support base, need to consider.
Which is why I feel it was a time thing. I'm no designer or programmer, but I'm sure that making a costume for a character is a lot easier than making a new moveset, and accompanying stage and music. Given the time Sakurai was under he probably just wanted to give the Geno fans something to hold us over until next time.

Mogu

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
1728-6760-6013
While this news does boost the chances of ballot picks (i.e. us) exponentially, I think it's necessary for us to reconsider if and how we need to reframe our understanding of the Geno costume situation. After all, if what Sakurai says is true, that costume was released around the time Smash Ultimate's roster was finalized. So now, I think we need to consider if that costume was really just a consolation prize for fans of a character Sakurai already knew he couldn't get playable in the next game at the time, or if he was simply teasing us and/or making the necessary negotiations to get that character in a future installment. I, personally, am inclined to believe the latter - after all, if Squenix OK'd a Geno Mii costume as a bonus with Cloud, then why wouldn't they give the green light to him being a playable character around the same time if their golden boy was already in? - but both, I believe, are possibilities that we, as a support base, need to consider. There's also the matter of him just showing his hand with the Geno comments he made in early 2016, which doesn't strike me as a Sakurai move if he's supposed to be playable in the next installment. This hardly kills our chances, but I suggest we temper our expectations in case he doesn't get in. Besides, there's always DLC if that's the case.
Can't say I really buy the former idea, you gotta keep in mind that we had no idea about Smash Ultimate outside of just knowing that Smash Wii U and 3DS wasn't the last in the series. You touched on it yourself, Square allowed Sakurai to put in a Geno costume. That tells me that they don't mind what Sakurai has in store for Geno (probably only caring about being faithful to the character at most.) All this in mind plus Sakurai coming out 2 times in the past saying he wants to make Geno playable tells me that it's far FAR more likely the costume was testing the waters if anything and to show the Geno community that he's aware (akin to K. Rool community.)

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know something that has bothered me? Whenever Geno is brought up, people tend to dismiss him not only due to being from a game 22 years ago, but they seem to understate that games importance. Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought SMRPG was Squares way of trying to make RPG's popular in the west. Sure they did well in Japan, but the west was not that interested. So they teamed up with the most iconic and popular video game series at the time, Mario, to bring people in and have them grow to like the genre. SO SMRPG was very important, so I don't get the dismissal of it being just some game from 22 years ago.

Xigger

Smash Lord
I don't mind getting my hopes up and being wrong. This is a recurring tradition during every Smash announcement, after all!

But this time, Sakurai's already admitted he's wanted to make Geno a playable character. Sakurai never talks about characters he wants to add, he always refuses to talk about it. So that's enough to make me really expect Geno for the first time.

Zema

Smash Journeyman
Apparently the project plan for Smash Ultimate was finished in December of 2015.

This was right as Bayonetta was revealed, which could hint that the roster for this game was heavily based off of the Ballot that ended in October of that year. If this is the case, Geno's chances have just gone up by an insane amount, as well as characters like K. Rool, Bandana Dee, etc.
Wow. That's really exciting news. It also really hurts the prospects of a lot of more recent possible newcomers like those from ARMS or XC2, which, as much as I'm sorry for those fanbases, is potentially really good for us as it lowers the amount of potential competition for newcomer slots.

Raheem The Dream

Banned via Warnings
NNID
RaheemTheDream28
3DS FC
5043-2968-5730
Long time, no see! My fellow Geno 4 Smash Supporters, Raheem The Perfect Legendary Godlike Magical Kid DreamView attachment 141191 has return, obviously to HELP Y'ALL! It's finally time for Geno to be confirmed in Smash for Switch & hopefully 3DS/WiiU versions for future updated patch wishful believing for Nintendo to make a MONEY $ TREE DLC! I've been mighty busy managing for #1. Geno's FanBase Page: https://www.facebook.com/GenoForSmashBros43DSWiiUSwitchFutureUpdatedVersion/
Anyways, count me the **** in as a big time Geno FanBoy supporter for Geno to finally be confirmed in 4SMASH5 for crying out loud, DADDY-MASAHIRO SAKURAI-SAN!View attachment 141194

P.S: #Geno4Smash5
Good Afternoon, everybody of Geno Fans Supporters! Haiku: We need to believe & work ★smarter★ 4 Geno in ☆SMASH ♥♪!?ULTIMATE☆! #Haiku #Geno4SmashUltimate
&

P.S: PsychoIncarnate PsychoIncarnate , kiteinthesky kiteinthesky , TerminalMontage TerminalMontage , Geno Boost Geno Boost , TBone06 TBone06 , Slender Slender , ctt4lfecw ctt4lfecw , CF711 CF711 , Ze Diglett Ze Diglett & especially any true Geno Fans to those who've always been wanted Geno to be confirmed as a New Comer of finally being (PLAYABLE) Fighter in this importance precious iteration of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate!

Last edited by a moderator:

CF711

Smash Apprentice
Wow. That's really exciting news. It also really hurts the prospects of a lot of more recent possible newcomers like those from ARMS or XC2, which, as much as I'm sorry for those fanbases, is potentially really good for us as it lowers the amount of potential competition for newcomer slots.
Yes, it does hurt their chances slightly, however we could have another Greninja situation where they decided on it before the game even came out. If they aren't in the main game though, you can probably expect them to be some of the DLC fighters.

Mogu

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
1728-6760-6013
Yes, it does hurt their chances slightly, however we could have another Greninja situation where they decided on it before the game even came out. If they aren't in the main game though, you can probably expect them to be some of the DLC fighters.
Don't see Sakurai "pulling a Greninja" for the likes of (let's say) Rex and/or Spring Man. He knew that Pokemon would sell and be received well, Couldn't say the same for these games and respective characters and sleep well at night at the same time.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
This thread is making me very happy the Geno support is now looking bigger and more alive than what it was during smash 4 and there is also no flamewars and people being toxic about it like how it happend before whenever someone brings up Geno to the discussion.

time has really changed kiteinthesky kiteinthesky we have stayed strong for years!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom