• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
HAPPY BIRTHDAY GENO.

He's 22 years old today. That Nintendo tweet has got me HYPED. Just it getting any acknowledgement brings me great joy.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Oh my god my heart skipped a beat. Even if this is nothing more than a happy birthday tweet, this is the first time they've properly acknowledged it since 2003. Well, besides the Geno costume in 4 of course.

I'm trying to hype responsibly but this tweet makes it really hard aaaaaa

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Yeah, I just saw the tweet. Kinda cool Nintendo is even recognizing the character.

Happy Birthday Mario RPG

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
Happy birthday, Mario RPG! Really hoping that Tweet is hinting at something. If it got a remake, then Geno could also show up as a tie-in with that!

...E3’s only a month away!

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
Oh, by the way, we should arrange and run a group livestream viewing of Nintendo's E3 presentation next month.

I get the feeling Geno will probably be announced in it, and if that hunch is true, that's our one chance to get a group reaction video.

If anybody still wanted to make a Discord server for us Geno fans as was suggested a while back, that would be a perfect use for it. Or perhaps a group Twitch stream if Twitch allows for that sort of thing.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Oh, by the way, we should arrange and run a group livestream viewing of Nintendo's E3 presentation next month.

I get the feeling Geno will probably be announced in it, and if that hunch is true, that's our one chance to get a group reaction video.

If anybody still wanted to make a Discord server for us Geno fans as was suggested a while back, that would be a perfect use for it. Or perhaps a group Twitch stream if Twitch allows for that sort of thing.
I do have high hopes for Geno, but I'm still not quite sure he'd be an E3 announcement.

Still, I'd totally be down for a group session with the boys with taste~.

EDIT: Oh, I almost forgot. If you need a good Geno fix now, the new version of Legacy (A fan mod) just came out and includes a MASSIVE overhaul to their previous Geno. Including timed hits and REALLY clever uses of his other skills. You can see him and the other characters in action here, it's a mod with so much quality I'd daresay it rivals PM itself.

Check him out, he's insanely fun, as he should be~.

Last edited:

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
EDIT: Oh, I almost forgot. If you need a good Geno fix now, the new version of Legacy (A fan mod) just came out and includes a MASSIVE overhaul to their previous Geno. Including timed hits and REALLY clever uses of his other skills. You can see him and the other characters in action here, it's a mod with so much quality I'd daresay it rivals PM itself.

Check him out, he's insanely fun, as he should be~.
So many questions about this:
  1. Why aren't any of these characters on the roster already?
  2. I totally understand why people want Waluigi in now. That Rambo costume is ******* hilarious.
  3. The mod demonstrates Ridley would work just fine despite the major size difference so why can't he be in the official roster?
  4. WATCH OUT! Geno knows about Timed Hits. He's gonna kick your -- *cuts camera*
Haven't any of us included Timed Hits in any of the movesets we made for Geno or pointed out the fact they exist in debates? Because that's a huge point in his favor in terms of uniqueness, and uniqueness is one of if not the most important factor in roster consideration.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
So many questions about this:
  1. Why aren't any of these characters on the roster already?
  2. I totally understand why people want Waluigi in now. That Rambo costume is ******* hilarious.
  3. The mod demonstrates Ridley would work just fine despite the major size difference so why can't he be in the official roster?
  4. WATCH OUT! Geno knows about Timed Hits. He's gonna kick your -- *cuts camera*
Haven't any of us included Timed Hits in any of the movesets we made for Geno or pointed out the fact they exist in debates? Because that's a huge point in his favor in terms of uniqueness, and uniqueness is one of if not the most important factor in roster consideration.
It's something Smash Bros. Crusade does with Geno too. Timed hits are always something I've considered when thinking of Geno, as as you said, it's such a huge part of Mario RPG and is very unique. The most I ever see people put it into action is the sweet spot on Geno Whirl and charging his other specials. I think it lends itself greatly to Geno's normals.

Last edited:

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
Oh man, discussion about timed hits makes me realize that this video hasn't been posted here yet!

It's made by @Delzethin, and it uses timed hits in the moveset pretty extensively! There are a couple of things I'd change, but it's my favorite moveset concept for Geno. Check out his other videos too, he has a lot of great ideas for how characters could work!

Last edited:

Raheem The Dream

Banned via Warnings
NNID
RaheemTheDream28
3DS FC
5043-2968-5730

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Oh man, discussion about timed hits makes me realize that this video hasn't been posted here yet!

It's made by @Delzethin, and it uses timed hits in the moveset pretty extensively! There are a couple of things I'd change, but it's my favorite moveset concept for Geno. Check out his other videos too, he has a lot of great ideas for how characters could work!
I've seen him around the forum before. Interesting. Didn't know he made Youtube videos.

domriver

Smash Lord
I agree fellow Geno fans ;) The tweet was very nice to see. Usually when Nintendo tweets its about something in the future or specific guess time will tell. I know i probably said this when Brawl and Wii U/3ds but i think his chances are at its best to get in for this iteration of Smash. In a interview Sakurai admitted to wanting to add Geno since Brawl then WiiU/3Ds guys maybe 3rd times a charm? Let us hope. :) Plus Sakurai always managed to get the characters he wanted in when they couldn't be added in the previous iteration. King Dedede just to give 1 example. He was suppose to be in Melee but never happened. Now we got him in Brawl. Only 1 month away people 1 month away. =)

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
Yeah I dunno about an E3 announcement, I feel like he'd be the type of character that we discover on our own, kinda like Duck Hunt? Would be rad if it happened though.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Yeah I dunno about an E3 announcement, I feel like he'd be the type of character that we discover on our own, kinda like Duck Hunt? Would be rad if it happened though.
I think if he gets in, he'll definitely be an unlockable character. I can see Geno being kind of hard to hype up pre-release, so saving him for after it comes out would make a lot of sense in that regard.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I hope he's not a secret character. That would mean we'd have to go even longer wondering if he made it or not! :drflip:

Raheem The Dream

Banned via Warnings
NNID
RaheemTheDream28
3DS FC
5043-2968-5730
Woo, the official Geno thread!

This thread will encompass all specific talk about Geno, the star-possessed scarecrow doll from Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars! So let's get right to it:

List of games Geno has appeared in:
  • Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
  • Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
So that's it. :p

Geno as he appeared in Mario RPG.

Geno as he appeared in Superstar Saga.

Geno as he appeared in this picture that I drew. :p

Geno would make an excellent addition to the Smash Brothers series. He could easily be a short-range fighter with some projectile attacks. The character from Melee he'd be most like is probably Ness. He'd have similar height and weight as Ness, and probably also have a non-traditional second jump.

Since I love the character so much, I've decided to make an entire moveset for him. :p So here we go...

A - Standard punch.
A-A - One-two punch.
A-A-A-repeated - Geno's hands suck in, and he starts blasting stars out of his arms. This is a combo attack, and the stars do not travel very far before disappearing.

Tilt-A-Up - Geno kicks straight up with one leg, similar to Sheik. Considering he's only a doll, he should be the most flexible character in the game. :p
Tilt-A-forward - Geno does the finger shot. Several pellets shoot out of his four fingers, traveling a short distance before disappearing.
Tilt-A-Down - A sweeping ground kick, similar to Ness.

Smash-A-Up - Geno sticks both hands straight up, and then spreads them, leaving a trail of stars where his hands were. Has a high knockback.
Smash-A-Forward - Geno fires his hand straight forward. It travels a good distance before disappearing and reappearing back on his arm.
Smash-A-Down - Geno does a split, kicking both legs out sideways.

Aerial-A-Neutral - Geno spins in a circle, with arms outstretched. His hands emit a small trail of stars.
Aerial-A-Up - Geno flips, kicking, like Kirby.
Aerial-A-Forward - Geno kicks both feet forward, perpendicular to the screen.
Aerial-A-Down - Geno does his finger shot straight down. The pellets travel a small distance before disappearing.
Aerial-A-Backward - Geno kicks one foot backwards, spinning in a circle.

B-Neutral - Geno charges up the Geno Beam. The longer you hold it, the more powerful the move gets (until it gets to its maximum charge, that is). The move, unlike other "shooting" moves like Samus' Charge Shot or Mewtwo's Shadow Ball, shoots across the entire stage, staying attached to Geno during the duration of the attack. To make up for it's large range, it's a relatively slow-moving attack.
B-Up - Geno spreads his arms and flies upward. A trail of stars extends behind him, which damages opponents until they disappear.
B-Forward The Geno Whirl, from Mario RPG. Geno swings his arm in a horizontal arc, sending a series of circles across the stage horizontally. This is a very quick-move. Also, if you press B again at the exact right instant, anyone hit by the Whirl's damage goes straight to 999% (Just kidding. ;))
B-Down - The Geno Blast. Geno plants himself, and a series of multicolored lights rain down from the heavens on either side of him.

Super Move - The Geno Flash. Geno turns into a cannon, and shoots a spark into the center of the stage. The spark grows a face, blinks, and then explodes.

Check the Flash version!

I would love playing as this character. Too bad I'm not working on this game. Not that my ideas are better than other people's, just that I would love working on the game. :p

Here's hoping we see our favorite star-powered hero appearing in Brawl! :)

*EDIT* I contacted Nintendo about who owns Geno:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintendo representative
Hello and thank you for contacting Nintendo,

Sorry that our response was not clear. The characters in the Super Smash Bros game are not all the property of Nintendo. They generally remain the property of the company that originally created them. While Geno and Mallow originally appeared in a game that was marketed by Nintendo, the title was designed and programmed by Square Soft. Geno and Mallow would still remain as the intellectual property of Square-Enix (the current name). Unfortunately, we have not heard any information that would support any rumors of Nintendo acquiring these characters.

Thanks for your email and good luck with all your games!

So, as of now, Geno is still the property of Square-Enix. That being the case, Square would have to lend Geno back to Nintendo in order for him to appear in Smash.

That said, I see no reason why Square would not lend the character. However, there was a ton of confusion about the subject, so I went right to the source. Geno is currently owned by Square.

*EDIT* So, Snakz has been putting together some new stuff in the thread, so I'm quoting a post of his here without using the actual quote stuff. The following is all done by Snakz:

Alrighty, here's the list of members so far, and i've added my rant, enjoy!

Go ahead an critique the rant, i could use it, and if you wana make any edits yourself, go ahead, just be sure to tell me what you've edited and why

Im probably missing a lot of names here so if i forgot you, or you'd like to be added, just tell me

The ♥♪!? Alliance
a.k.a. The Geno Alliance
"Servitors of a Higher Authority"

Thread Creator: McFox (obviously)

Brawlman
Chi's Finest
Copperpot
Dhaka
DynamiteSpoony
Enigma14
FericeDeityWolf
Foz
genosall
GenoStrike
GhostAnime
hemightbegiant
JesterBox
Loooooni
Mcpuff
Oshiro Akina
paralasalud
prettymanfairy
PsychoIncarnate
Ralph Marquee
Shadowbolt
Sinn
Snakz
SonicSpeed
Sponge
Super Mario Whirled
TBone06
vesperview

Geno for Brawl: Arguments from Both Sides
By Snakz

Geno’s got a lot of things going for him, I’ll mention the arguments for him, but really this is meant to tackle the arguments against him.

Pro:

1) Geno is unique in character

If you want to know who Geno is, ill give you a summary. Geno, who’s true name is actually ♥♪!? is a star spirit/guardian that came from Star Road, a place that makes wishes come true. Star Road was destroyed by Smithy when he drove the giant sword, Exor through and shattered it into 7 stars, all of which landed on Earth. So he came down to Earth and possessed a doll name Geno to collect the stars and eventually, with Mario’s help, he defeated Smithy and restored order to Star Road and Earth.

Now Geno has a very likable and strong personality, were it not for Mario, I’m sure Geno would’ve been just fine being the leader of the party, since he seems to have that quality. Now his background is undeniably unique, and anyone who says he’s not unique enough for Brawl should go play SMRPG. If they finished it and are still not convinced, you should consider therapy.

2) Extremely easy to make a moveset for

If you haven’t taken time out of your busy schedule, I suggest taking a few clicks and looking at McFox’s moveset for Geno. In terms of special moves, moveset is pretty much the same moveset that most people have for Geno. As for the rest, there are usually a lot of similarities between what McFox has and what others have, but people do get pretty creative with the rest of his moves. Either way, Geno is probably one of the easiest characters to make a moveset for and would deffinetly not be a problem adding him into Brawl on a technical stand point.

3) Geno is tied for 2nd place on Sakurai’s poll

This is probably the best argument for Geno on the more political side of things. Next to Sonic, Geno is the most requested 3rd party character on the poll (and he’s not even purely 3rd party, more on that later). Without this, Geno’s fans would be getting shot down left and right because people would claim he doesn’t have a strong standing on the poll, and since many people don’t know him, he wouldn’t stand a chance. But because he tied with such contenders as Ike and Diddy Kong (who are confirmed), this is a strong case.

** Now there is one more thing I’d like to add about the relationship between Nintendo and Square-Enix. There’s been a lot of people saying the they are getting things better between each other now and other people saying they’re relationship isn’t as good as it was. If there’s one thing we can make a fact of is this; if SMRPG is coming to the Virtual Console, that’s has to say something about the two companies having a good enough relationship to agree to re-release SMRPG to the VC.

Con:

1) Nobody's heard of him

This argument right off the bat is so weak, every time I hear this arguement being used it makes me want to choke puppies. We have so many examples of this factor not being an issue. First off, we have Geno’s poll numbers, tied for second. CLEARLY, enough people have heard of Geno for them to believe he deserves a spot in Brawl. Secondly, don’t know about you, but had you ever heard of the Ice Climbers and/or Mr. Game & Watch before Melee was released? Unless you played their games, most people would say they haven’t. So not having been heard of is definitely not a valid reason not to be included in Brawl.

2) We have too many Mario reps already

Usually, the people who say this are the same people who believe DK, Yoshi and Wario are considered part of the Mario franchise, when Sakurai clearly shows that at least that for Brawl’s sake that is not the case. Sure, they got their start in Mario games, no question, but it doesn’t matter whether you believe they have they’re own separate franchise or not, Sakurai considers them separate franchises. So not including those characters, we have Mario, most likely Luigi, Bowser and Peach, and don’t tell me Dr. Mario is returning, his chances are almost nigh. So that’s 4 characters, I wouldn’t say one more is too much, would you? Pokémon already has 4 representatives (Pikachu and Pokémon Trainer who has 3 other Pokémon), there’s a good chance that there will be one more representative. Remember we’re about franchise representation here, not slots. The number of slots is not significant as they can change easily. So if Pokémon can have 5 reps, why not Nintendo’s most well-known franchise?

Not to mention the Pokémon franchise is also represented by the countless number of Pokémon in the Pokéball item. Though now with the introduction of Assist Trophies, other franchises, and even those who will not get a PC rep can still have a chance to shine in Brawl, though slightly, well ain’t that peachy? So far we’ve been shown the Hammer Bros, Bullet Bills and Latiku to represent the Mario franchise in AT fashion. Although there will probably be more from the Mario series, there’s no question that the number of Pokémon non-PC reps will outnumber non-PC Mario reps, so even in that respect, Mario will not be the most represented. Also there’s a little series needing mention called Zelda. It’s been predicted that there will be two more reps, Ganondorf being one of them (what a surprise) and mainly a competition between Midna w/ or w/out Wolf Link and WW Link. I wont get into that since this is no the place for that, but the point it this; Zelda is very likely to have at least 5 PC reps, same goes to Pokémon, so what’s to say the Mario series shouldn’t get 5 reps?

Of course, others will argue for Bowser Jr. as the last Mario rep. Most do not believe that Geno AND Bowser Jr. will make it to Brawl, so that really comes down to your own opinion on who should get in between those two.

3) He's only been in two games

This is about as effective as “No one knows who he is”, probably the dumbest of the arguments against Geno. The Ice climbers have only been in ONE game and they made it in. Sure they’re retro, but the SNES (which is where Geno made is first appearance in Super Mario RPG) is on the borderline of being retro, if it hasn’t already. Once again, it shows that it doesn’t matter how many games the character has been in, if enough people have heard of him that they will voice significantly that he should be in Brawl, well then ****it, he should be a contender for a spot.

4) Geno's third party, he's not worthy of a third party slot

Alright now to the juicy stuff. This is probably the most common argument made against Geno since he is owned by Square-Enix. If you haven’t read this (Thanks to PsychoIncarnate for this find!), I strongly suggest you do: http://blogs.ign.com/phoenixdragoon/2007/10/22/69626/ It’s an argument saying the Geno isn’t exactly 3rd party, but something called 2nd ½ party. If this really is the case for Geno’s legal stand point, then there’s virtually no problem in adding Geno.

But if you don’t believe the article and still think Geno will be purely 3rd party, your most likely saying that Geno is not worthy of the last (or supposedly last) 3rd party spot compared to Megaman, Bomberman, Rayman, or “someotherman”. Personally, I believe that if Geno really is pure 3rd party (which I don’t) then the only competition he has is Megaman.

Now let me get this out of the way first; whether you believe Geno is worthy of Brawl is purely your own opinion, there’s nothing factual about worthiness. Now Megaman is no doubt a very iconic character and has been on numerous titles to which I won’t bother counting, most of which are on a Nintendo console. But considering Megaman only received two votes, it’s obviously not the best he could get, but it’s not a very strong case for his appearance in Brawl, so many of his fans are relying on his popularity outside the polls. The bad part for Megaman is we really don’t know how much Sakurai is looking into Megaman as a result of the poll. Because of his relative poor rank on the poll compared to his popularity, I consider Megaman and Geno to be equals in terms of purely 3rd parties. The rest is just my favoring of Geno over Megaman.

As for other 3rd party characters, it’s for the most part, the same case. They got relatively low standings on the polls (or in some character’s cases, not at all, yet still being supported), so the fans rely on the character’s popularity alone. I honestly think the poll will turn out to have a great impact on who will be considered to enter Brawl, Which is certainly the case for Geno. Unfortunately for the rest, I don’t think the other character’s popularity will enough (for the record, I’d love to see Bomberman in Brawl, but I just don’t see it happening).

Now if Sakurai decides to tell us he changed his mind and is letting more 3rd party characters in, then we’ve more to discuss, but until then, that’s all I gotta say about Geno and 3rd parties. Just remember, overall I don’t consider Geno a pure 3rd party addition, and I sure plenty of Geno fans don’t either, but there are still some who do, and I wanted to point out they’re possible views on it.​
Haiku: We all ♡♥loves♥♡ Geno! To come this far & (BELIEVES), Geno→4→Smash→5! #Haiku #Geno4Smash5 #RaheemTheDream #NeverGiveUp #BelieveInYourDreams #NetNeutrality #SaveNetNeutrality

P.S: PsychoIncarnate PsychoIncarnate , please add my name: Raheem The Dream Raheem The Dream on this page for working extremely & especially extraordinary hard-core to get ♥♪!? aka Geno in SMASH! Finally, please check out my FaceBook Page of Geno4Smash5 for representation wise advertisement from my previous comments!

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
What's this I hear about a rumor with a Geno/ Mallow team up? I'm going to look into it

That sounds more like something a fan would come up with than an actually leak

Haiku: We all ♡♥loves♥♡ Geno! To come this far & (BELIEVES), Geno→4→Smash→5! #Haiku #Geno4Smash5 #RaheemTheDream #NeverGiveUp #BelieveInYourDreams #NetNeutrality #SaveNetNeutrality

P.S: PsychoIncarnate PsychoIncarnate , please add my name: Raheem The Dream Raheem The Dream on this page for working extremely & especially extraordinary hard-core to get ♥♪!? aka Geno in SMASH! Finally, please check out my FaceBook Page of Geno4Smash5 for representation wise advertisement from my previous comments!
I had a supporter list but it seems to have vanished. I'll add it again

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
As of this second, this is the currents supporters

PsychoIncarnate
Raheem The Dream
DarkAura64/Fenrir
Ze Diglett
TerminalMontage
domriver
FamicomDisk
kiteinthesky
Geno Boost
Phantom Joker
CroonerMike
SEGAGameBoy
smash puffle
TCT~Phantom
RosaPeach
Dalek_Kolt
SSBBDaisy
Jetsurge
Sean Wheeler
Blue_Sword_Edge
SorrowOfAcheron
GenoComet
GonzaGears
MarioMeteor

If I got something wrong or someone else wants to be added @ me

I made it without giving anyone preferential treatment, just the order I found the supporters. But I can possibly reorder them if anyone has a problem/

Edit: And I'll think you'll like that other than the supporter list, I added a "Relevant information" part in the OP talking about Sakurai's interview, Geno Mii, and the infamous poll that was relevant during the Brawl speculation age

Last edited:

Raheem The Dream

Banned via Warnings
NNID
RaheemTheDream28
3DS FC
5043-2968-5730
As of this second, this is the currents supporters

PsychoIncarnate
Raheem The Dream
DarkAura64/Fenrir
Ze Diglett
TerminalMontage
domriver
FamicomDisk
kiteinthesky
Geno Boost
Phantom Joker
CroonerMike
SEGAGameBoy
smash puffle
TCT~Phantom
RosaPeach
Dalek_Kolt
SSBBDaisy
Jetsurge
Sean Wheeler
Blue_Sword_Edge
SorrowOfAcheron
GenoComet
GonzaGears
MarioMeteor

If I got something wrong or someone else wants to be added @ me

I made it without giving anyone preferential treatment, just the order I found the supporters. But I can possibly reorder them if anyone has a problem/

Edit: And I'll think you'll like that other than the supporter list, I added a "Relevant information" part in the OP talking about Sakurai's interview, Geno Mii, and the infamous poll that was relevant during the Brawl speculation age
Hey, don't forget about to add my FanBase of Geno4Smash5 on FaceBook's link: https://www.facebook.com/GenoForSmashBros43DSWiiUSwitchFutureUpdatedVersion/ & Thank-you for adding my name! I'm very grateful!

There was a problem fetching the tweet
&
&
&
&
& finally please (SUBCRIBED) to my personal YouTube Channel to watch this:

P.S: #Geno4Smash5 TerminalMontage TerminalMontage , please make sure you'll make (PERFECTION) Geno's merchandise 4Smash5 of hoodie, cups mugs, T-shirts, pants & something better & especially follow me on Twitter too!

&
&
&
&
&
&
&
&

Last edited:

Corbin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nibrocofthepuddn
A bunch of the supposed "leaks" are referencing Geno & Mallow as a team character. I absolutely do not believe this will happen, but the mere thought of it makes me giddy beyond belief.

If they make it in, I'll get a geno/mallow tattoo to add to my videogame sleeve. Geno's always been my #1 pick.

Also, please add me to the list of supporters! I've been on smashboards a long time, but haven't posted since supporting Geno back in Brawl days!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Interesting... that's a neat concept that I've never really considered. I'd still probably prefer standalone Geno and/or Mallow so they wouldn't have to be tethered to each other in some awkward ball-n-chain system, but seeing SMRPG's two original protagonists both featured in a new release would be sweet as hell. If this idea does end up being how our boy gets in, I'll hardly be disappointed, and hey, Mallow has his fans too, doesn't he?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
This imgur leak with Geno & Mallow got me warming up to the idea of Geno in Smash. I always felt that if Geno gets in Smash then Mallow needs to be in Smash too. I always wanted both or nothing.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Semi-relevant and interesting analysis by Bkupa666 on how Smash speculation has changed throughout the years.

Here, have a thinkpiece. I would recommend against reading it in one sitting. The numerous spots where you'll stop and go "Well, actually. . ." regarding my analyses double as spots to step away and grab some food and/or sleep.

Everyone differs in their enjoyment of Smash as a series and why they personally spend time posting on internet forums like Smashboards. Goes without saying, right? Well, I'm here to make the case that Smash 4 brought fanbase members to a crossroads in their enjoyment of some game elements, based partly on factors inevitable 15 years into a series and also on consciously changing attitudes. This post is not meant to argue that one way of enjoying the series is better than any other, but rather to explore how the fanbase got to where it is today and how it could proceed, with implications for K. Rool and the Kutthroats.

In the wake of Melee, Smash had the allure of being not just a newly-popular series but one with a vast amount of untapped potential. Going into Brawl, there were scores and scores of big-time Nintendo characters and content to include from games recent and old, from veteran and new series, and on a more-modern console that was doing gangbusters at the time.

With that surplus of options in front of them, people really started having fun making support groups to post why their preferred character ought to become playable and advocating for their inclusion (more on the efficiency of that later). Users not only rallied behind people like Diddy and Dedede and shared how they might play, based on their history of appearances, but also built grassroots support for more obscure options like Geno. Later on, once the demos started hitting stores, people also spent time analyzing gameplay footage to see how the mechanics compared to Melee. Fun fact: People saw tripping and had no idea what the hell was going on, to the point of deeming it "ink-dropping" as an advanced technique.

You might be asking yourself how any of this differs from Smash 4's speculation scene; there are several answers. Compared to Smash 4 and onward, there were only two Smash games to give precedent for roster picks. The sky was the limit in terms of who you could suggest while being taken seriously, without much talk of who was likely based on patterns. There were also so many big-name characters left that vocal character support was the norm among fans. Everyone had at least a few characters they were particularly passionate about seeing playable, and many got their wishes. Brawl's roster did end up getting flack, but from my experience, that was less due to the characters chosen and more because fans' expectations had gotten so high, they were expecting a roster count in the high 40s or low 50s (the unlockables being largely veterans threw people for a loop).

So, to touch back on the "enjoyment" angle, Melee left most fans satisfied with gameplay — it is full-on revisionist history to say people thought Melee was "too hard" before Sakurai made that claim — but wanting in terms of characters and content. Going into Smash 4, on the other hand, people were relatively happy with the latter and openly critical of the former. Tripping was essentially, and deservedly, considered a meme in terms of a terrible choice, and people had no shortage of character-specific gameplay complaints to offer. "Who on earth balanced Meta Knight that way?" "Why does Dedede invalidate multiple characters with chaingrabs?" "Why do Snake's hitboxes stretch out -that- far?" And so on. On the whole, character support had taken a backseat to mechanical balance fixes (a not-insignificant number of people professed Brawl would have been their personal "perfect Smash" if not for the gameplay).

That's not to say the focus on characters evaporated — there were still a handful of characters people supported in a way reminiscent of that Brawl era — but changes were starting to creep in. The existing characters already satisfied a good chunk of fans to the point where fewer were invested in newcomers, fewer of which were widely agreed-upon. Instead, the people who stuck around on forums, and the new posters who read the terrain, had fun debating who was and was not likely. By far the biggest emerging area people would look to in these debates was upcoming releases. The focuses on likelihood and releases weren't altogether new phenomenons, but it quickly reached a point where most people's perception of a character's likelihood linked directly to how promotional of a new game they could be. Not coincidentally, the scene had reached a state where not many were bothering to build up support for Geno-esque characters anymore. Why bother? They're irrelevant! Can't promote a thing! Not going to happen!

Concurrently, people's perception of uniqueness changed from pre-Brawl to pre-Smash 4. In the aftermath of Melee, proving a character's uniqueness more or less meant demonstrating that that character couldn't or wouldn't be a clone. As Smash 4 and its newcomer reveals got underway, however, "unique" came to mean that a character would bring their own gimmick, mechanic or prop (my observation: people who tout uniqueness but struggle with moveset-making promote candidates by saying "He/she/it would hit you with <insert prop name here>"). In that way, uniqueness started becoming a cudgel people would use against characters they felt didn't measure up (inter-franchise character wars contributed). An increasing number of people also would start proclaiming that "they didn't care" what characters were added so long as they were "fun to play," a metric often mentioned in the same breath as uniqueness.

In the end, Smash 4 and its DLC were released with all but a single-digit number of big-name requests, gameplay that was almost universally considered an improvement from Brawl, and a large amount of miscellaneous content across two systems. In other words, the series reached a point where a majority of online fans no longer desired different characters or gameplay than what they'd ultimately received. Sure, already-satisfied people had and still have their personal wishlists, but on a broad scale there's not much investment in new content added so long as it's "fun/unique." Users along these lines often debate likelihood/new games to a fault and then get blown away by newcomers who fall outside those criteria, who in turn make the users even more satisfied. In my observation there's a lot of overlap between these users and the ones who will very quickly become unhappy upon mention of the mere prospect of character cuts. ("How dare you! Someone out there enjoys those characters!")

Where does the crossroads come into play? Well, as more and more people become satisfied with Smash as-is, it becomes easier and easier to look upon anyone carrying on that Brawl era of concerted support group advocacy as alien. I think there's a misunderstanding in place that anyone who vocally supports anything new or different in Smash necessarily is criticizing what is there. That's not always the case (though criticism isn't inherently a bad thing either), it just can come off as such when the lion's share of those posters' comments are about what -isn't- in the game that they want included, versus what -is- in the game that they like already. It is worth noting that, as Smash becomes more of a behemoth, for worse and better, these sorts of advocates have more of an incentive to pipe up; if they get their way, it's on a larger scale, with a greater payoff for characters and series in particular.

But with propositions for change becoming rarer and rarer, it becomes easier for the majority to dismiss loud requests for K. Rool or Ridley as ravings from unappreciative lunatics, or shoot down anyone calling for gameplay closer to Melee's as part of a "vocal minority" stuck in 2001. That, of course, can turn people in that minority defensive, demeaning those who don't share their desires as "sheep" or "apologists." The majority responds by smearing whole fanbases as "toxic," hoping <insert request here> doesn't happen "so their fans will explode," or policing "hype" for indicators of "salt." On and on the vicious cycle goes, and completely needlessly. The two groups are perfectly capable of enjoying the game and lead-up in their own styles, even though their approaches to the game don't align as they once appeared to.

I should probably mention here that after Smash 4, people should reframe how they think about the internet posts they make advocating for a character or change in Smash. It's been known since 2008 that Nintendo people like Nate Bihldorff lurk Smash sites, and it's a safe assumption that some requests get back to the developers once they become repeated a certain amount — anything from the huge push to remove tripping to more recent minor things like Sakurai being aware of the perception he favors his own Kirby games and Fire Emblem. But given the confirmation post-Smash 4 that the series' design documents are finalized years before the titles are announced, online Smash requests really only matters in terms of influencing the -next- game, maybe DLC or a ballot nowadays in lucky cases. Given the paucity of Wii U era content, there's a chance Smash Switch will break that trend, but that's something we'll only know for sure once the post-game interviews come out.

To wrap this massive wall-of-text up, I think it would be an interesting fanbase experiment to bring onboard a new Smash director who announces he's pulling a Thanos and wiping out half the roster, without naming which characters are getting cut. Would that knowledge cause the fanbase to revert back to its Brawl iteration and start focusing again on the characters and the nuances of their movesets in "the greatest character game in the world?" How would the pressure of a telegraphed smaller roster affect how newcomers are assessed? To what degree would fans apply the patterns or knowledge they've developed (or think they've developed) this far into Smash's lifespan if the series were, for all intents and purposes, getting rebooted?

For me personally, though I have no interest in speculation outside of K. Rool and Ridley-specific stuff, those would all be questions I'd enjoy seeing answered somewhere down the road.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
What's all this about a Geno/Mallow leak? I'm traveling and haven't had a chance to catch up on Smash news.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
What's all this about a Geno/Mallow leak? I'm traveling and haven't had a chance to catch up on Smash news.
It's nothing worth making note of. Someone made a folder on Imgur claiming that a bunch of random pictures were hints towards the Smash roster (including a team-up between Geno and Mallow), but literally anyone could do that. I could do that with a few minutes of searching for random images on Google.

domriver

Smash Lord
The idea that a team Geno-Mallow hmm im very excited for it but i felt Geno is more of a solo character. Hooking up with Mallow could be interesting combos and what not. Id welcome it! 12 days left :D

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
The biggest thing that the Imgur leak is hinging on is that the supposed theme of the game is "Heroes vs Villains", and that would supposedly make more sense at E3. So, if this theme isn't explicitly shown off there, then the leak is dead. 12 more days, y'all. I can't wait.

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
Yeah a tag team would be so weird. But I guess they'd have a cute intro animation, where Mallow is holding the little Geno doll as a star flies into it, bringing him to life.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
It's hard for me to imagin Geno and Mallow as one character because both of them are extremely different and offer enough moveset for each of them just think about it Mallow is a weather and a sound fighter who could extend his arm and defensive while Geno is gunner and a wizard also glass canon and also don't forget that timed hits could happen as well

domriver

Smash Lord
It's hard for me to imagin Geno and Mallow as one character because both of them are extremely different and offer enough moveset for each of them just think about it Mallow is a weather and a sound fighter who could extend his arm and defensive while Geno is gunner and a wizard also glass canon and also don't forget that timed hits could happen as well
Yeah - guess we shall wait and see (presuming this team will happen)

Yeah a tag team would be so weird. But I guess they'd have a cute intro animation, where Mallow is holding the little Geno doll as a star flies into it, bringing him to life.
That would be cool. Voices? :?: Mallow i would imagine a little boy voice. Geno - i really dont know something alien-ish.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Yeah add me to the list of supporters. I want to see some more Mario RPG love in Smash (character to be specific). Whether it's from: Paper Mario, Mario RPG, or Mario & Luigi.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
I can see the tag team working in that Geno is the main fighter, and Mallow stands in the background like Pokemon Trainer, acting as a support caster. He has some sort of indicator of what spell he has ready (Thunderbolt, Snowy, Shocker, Star Rain) to assist Geno when Down B is inputted. This will work on a level system in the above order and will charge to the next level automatically after 7 seconds, stopping at Star Rain. They all are long range attacks and they increase in range and power as they cycle up the list. They lock on to the nearest opponent and drop down on them from above. After a spell is used, it will take 5 seconds for Thunderbolt to become available again and start the cycle over.

Granted, it is very hard to justify Mallow being a part of Geno's moveset while not feeling forced, when it would be far easier to have Geno be the sole character; his moves can easily fit into a set of specials. I even tried to think of a seperate moveset for Mallow in case he could be swapped out to be the main fighter, but his spells don't lead to a diversified set of specials, imo.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I'm already considering this "Heroes vs. Villains" leak dead in the water; if that was what this new Smash game was supposed to be about, then why would they show Mario standing shoulder-to-shoulder with a figure who is clearly Bowser in the Inklings teaser? I don't buy any word of it for a second. And I say good riddance, as the more I think about this Mallow/Geno tag team business, the more opposed I become to the idea. It's not like either of them couldn't fill up a moveset on their own, so don't tether them together just because they originated in the same game.

Last edited:

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
Also, PsychoIncarnate PsychoIncarnate I'm hopping on the support boat, so it's cool to add me to the list. Geno's pretty cool, and I've been a fan since I played SMRPG on the Wii VC during Geno's Brawl hype.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Just wanna say I was an active Geno supporter last time, and I still support Geno, but only Geno. Imo opinion a tag-team moveset with Mallow is nonsense, and does both of the characters involved a disservice. I don't know how other supporters feel, but imo it feels pretty insulting to finally get a character you've wanted for so long in such a poorly done manner. Much like Jr, this isnt the Geno I wanted, and won't be happy about getting him like this.

It's not like supporters weren't clear in what they were supporting. The Geno build never had Mallow involved. The support threads never had (and Mallow). I never saw this idea before the apparent leak. Much like many of Sakurai's ideas in the past, its feast or famine, and I'll die on this hill saying this isn't anything other than a ****-tier concept.

Sorry if you disagree, and please add me as a supporter, because I still support Geno, but I'm really hoping that the leak is off.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
Just wanna say I was an active Geno supporter last time, and I still support Geno, but only Geno. Imo opinion a tag-team moveset with Mallow is nonsense, and does both of the characters involved a disservice. I don't know how other supporters feel, but imo it feels pretty insulting to finally get a character you've wanted for so long in such a poorly done manner. Much like Jr, this isnt the Geno I wanted, and won't be happy about getting him like this.

It's not like supporters weren't clear in what they were supporting. The Geno build never had Mallow involved. The support threads never had (and Mallow). I never saw this idea before the apparent leak. Much like many of Sakurai's ideas in the past, its feast or famine, and I'll die on this hill saying this isn't anything other than a ****-tier concept.

Sorry if you disagree, and please add me as a supporter, because I still support Geno, but I'm really hoping that the leak is off.
From what I understand, it's most likely fake, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Just relax; on June 12th I'm certain we'll hear some good news. Only 11 days left...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom