• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'd like Geno in Smash, but I'm confused as to why he's always been such a popular character. Did Sakurai say something about his inclusion back in Brawl?
Yes, actually. Not only was he in the Melee (?) poll but during Smash 4 he did say he had wanted to add Geno to Smash. Or something along those lines.

But honestly, for me it was just a character I really liked and connected with during that Brawl days. Mario RPG was my favorite game for many years and the first RPG I ever played.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Whew, so I finally got around to actually writing up that updated OP. When I finish it, should I PM it to the current thread owner, or should I just throw it ITT? Sorry for being a scrub.
And while I'm here, anyone have any idea who made the Geno flair in my sig, as well as this one? I'd like to give credit in the OP, if at all possible.

Raheem The Dream

Banned via Warnings
NNID
RaheemTheDream28
3DS FC
5043-2968-5730
Long time, no see! My fellow Geno 4 Smash Supporters, Raheem The Perfect Legendary Godlike Magical Kid Dream
17097300_1274615152586422_5339594411127706072_o.jpg
has return, obviously to HELP Y'ALL! It's finally time for Geno to be confirmed in Smash for Switch & hopefully 3DS/WiiU versions for future updated patch wishful believing for Nintendo to make a MONEY $ TREE DLC! I've been mighty busy managing for #1. Geno's FanBase Page: https://www.facebook.com/Geno4SuperSmashBros.Ultimate/ 2. Shantae & Risky Boots's FanBase Page: https://www.facebook.com/ShantaeANDRiskyBoots4SuperSmashBros.Ultimate/ 3. Manic & Sonia The Hedgehog's FanBase page: https://www.facebook.com/ManicANDSoniaTheHedgehogs4SuperSmashBros.Ultimate/ 4. Izuna The Unemployed Ninja's FanBase Page: https://www.facebook.com/Izuna4SmashUltimate/ & https://www.facebook.com/Izuna-886809501389199/ 5. Neku Sakuraba's FanBase Page: https://www.facebook.com/NekuSakuraba4SmashUltimate/ 6. Disney's Wreck-It Ralph's FanBase Page: https://www.facebook.com/WreckItRalph4SmashUltimate/ & Finally Lucky Number 7. Ninten's FanBase Page: https://www.facebook.com/Ninten4SmashUltimate/

Anyways, count me the **** in as a big time Geno FanBoy supporter for Geno to finally be confirmed in 4SMASH5 for crying out loud, DADDY-MASAHIRO SAKURAI-SAN!
DRXKK3NW0AI-XXv.jpg

P.S: #Geno4Smash5
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Raheem The Dream Raheem The Dream no censor dodging; I edited the post to remove the offending material, but don't do that again - it's clearly mentioned in the global rules.

Also, there's no way that they're going to add Geno in as DLC for the Wii U and 3DS Smash games. Development on those ended YEARS ago.

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Whew, so I finally got around to actually writing up that updated OP. When I finish it, should I PM it to the current thread owner, or should I just throw it ITT? Sorry for being a scrub.
And while I'm here, anyone have any idea who made the Geno flair in my sig, as well as this one? I'd like to give credit in the OP, if at all possible.
well in your sig it was made by vaanrose and the animated one was actually made by me :p

Raheem The Dream

Banned via Warnings
NNID
RaheemTheDream28
3DS FC
5043-2968-5730
Raheem The Dream Raheem The Dream no censor dodging; I edited the post to remove the offending material, but don't do that again - it's clearly mentioned in the global rules.

Also, there's no way that they're going to add Geno in as DLC for the Wii U and 3DS Smash games. Development on those ended YEARS ago.
Anyways! Everybody, please vote for our Geno
geno_shoots_for_the_stars__medium.png
4Smash5 now on these two links: https://www.strawpoll.me/12228707 & http://www.tricider.com/brainstorming/2cPuDwLrGxJ Well, GOOD-LUCK voting kiteinthesky kiteinthesky & especially y'all!

P.S: Megadoomer Megadoomer , I'm fully aware of The Smash 4 3DS/WiiU versions development ended back then, but strongly doubted dat fun fact because Nintendo shall make Smash Bros. a Big Juggernaut Money Making Tree for DLC versions 4 Smash Bros. 3DS/WiiU & especially The Nintendo Switch! Please watch this video:

Xigger

Smash Lord
I feel like the OP should include links to the Sakurai article talking about Geno. It's a pretty convincing reason for Geno's support.

Sakurai has a history of only talking about characters that either aren't seriously considered, or characters that didn't make the cut, and he's blatant about wanting to add Geno.

Masahiro Sakurai said:
Sakurai: Geno was actually a character I wanted to include as a fighter. He has a gun for an arm, and just seems like he'd fit absolutely perfectly into Smash.

I was hoping I'd be able to put him in as far back as Super Smash Bros. Brawl, but unfortunately that never ended up materializing.

Interviewer: And that's why you included him as a Mii Costume this time around?

Sakurai: Yes. He's incredibly popular. Even though he's an old character, we keep getting loads of votes and requests for us to put him in the game. Even though he still isn't in as a playable fighter, I made sure he'd be in as a Mii costume so his fans would at least feel that they got something.

If you ask me, Geno is one of the most likely newcomers.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I feel like the OP should include links to the Sakurai article talking about Geno. It's a pretty convincing reason for Geno's support.

Sakurai has a history of only talking about characters that either aren't seriously considered, or characters that didn't make the cut, and he's blatant about wanting to add Geno.

If you ask me, Geno is one of the most likely newcomers.
Way ahead of you, buddy. ;)
And you are right. People really need to respect Geno's chances, especially now that Cloud is in the game.

Last edited:

Cazzone

Smash Cadet
Was Geno popular during the Ballot era? I wasn’t a Smash fan back then. Since the Ballot results are used as a source for future software (aka Smash Switch) if he gained enough votes, maybe...

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Was Geno popular during the Ballot era? I wasn’t a Smash fan back then. Since the Ballot results are used as a source for future software (aka Smash Switch) if he gained enough votes, maybe...
I think Geno was noticeably less requested than what he was back during the pre-Brawl days but I think he still did OK on the ballot. Probably not great but likely OK.

:094:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
The support was not as big as Brawl. He did get a costume in Smash 4 though and in an interview Sakurai said he considered him for Brawl.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
His popularity's almost certainly waned over the years, but if this Sakurai quote from this interview is anything to go by...
Daddy Sakurai said:
Yes. He's incredibly popular. Even though he's an old character, we keep getting loads of votes and requests for us to put him in the game. Even though he still isn't in as a playable fighter, I made sure he'd be in as a Mii costume so his fans would at least feel that they got something.
...he's still popular enough for Sakurai to notice, and is apparently at least a major part of the reason we even got the Mii costume in the first place. At this point, I don't think "lack of popularity" is really an issue for our boy in blue, as much as uninformed bystanders may think otherwise.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
I think the only think stopping him is Square. They've got nothing to gain by putting Geno in and Geno isn't a huge gaming icon like Cloud so maybe Sakurai won't think the negotiations would be worth it.

Geno is perfect for Smash because he is a toy and as seen by Smash 64 the characters in Smash Bros are toys.

One idea I have for is trailer is a recreation of the Smash 64 intro except Master Hand picks up the Geno toy instead of Mario

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
I think SE should sell Geno's rights to Nintendo, it isn't like they are using him at all for any of their games, but that would be a dream I guess. I hope Geno can become playable in this game, a cosplaying Mii just can't measure up to the awesomeness that Geno is.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I think SE should sell Geno's rights to Nintendo, it isn't like they are using him at all for any of their games, but that would be a dream I guess. I hope Geno can become playable in this game, a cosplaying Mii just can't measure up to the awesomeness that Geno is.
My worry is that Nintendo themselves won't think it's worth shelling out the cash for Geno - to be fair, it's only one character who "only" has a cult following and hasn't been seen for nearly two decades - and Squenix won't miss the chance to sell him off to the highest bidder, which may well be no one, unfortunately. I'd love to see Ninty and Squenix collaborate on an RPG again (SMRPG 2 when), but that's really a pipe dream at this point since Squenix is so volatile and unpredictable in their business practices.

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
Glad to see the Geno Community is still together.

Hello old friends :)

I'm actually working on a short Smash related animation. It's not really promoting Geno like my other 2 Geno "ads" but I've got him making some cameos :)

Also, we should update that first post, some images aren't working. And for our main image we should use the Smashified pic of Geno :D

Last edited:

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
You know, I always found it weird that Geno is owned by Square but debuted in a Mario game. He'd be the only third-party character to be representing a major Nintendo series. People are going to be confused about the mushroom symbol when he's considered third-party. You know, Square should outright sell Geno to Nintendo to solve this issue.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Glad to see the Geno Community is still together.

Hello old friends :)

I'm actually working on a short Smash related animation. It's not really promoting Geno like my other 2 Geno "ads" but I've got him making some cameos :)

Also, we should update that first post, some images aren't working. And for our main image we should use the Smashified pic of Geno :D
I've already sent an updated OP to PsychoIncarnate that includes that very image, as well as more comprehensive arguments for Geno's inclusion and other non-broken image embeds. OP has yet to get back to me on how it looks, although I eagerly await the day he does (nudge, nudge).

Last edited:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
You know, I always found it weird that Geno is owned by Square but debuted in a Mario game. He'd be the only third-party character to be representing a major Nintendo series. People are going to be confused about the mushroom symbol when he's considered third-party. You know, Square should outright sell Geno to Nintendo to solve this issue.
It would amazing if Nintendo brought him and Mallow and put them in Maeio spinoffs

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
It would amazing if Nintendo brought him and Mallow and put them in Maeio spinoffs
Imagine Geno playing tennis, or competing against Sonic characters at the olympics, or as a playable character in Mario Party.

From Sakurai's interviews, it appears that he didn't go to Square Enix to inquire about Geno during development of the game. Since he went for Cloud, he didn't ask for Geno as a playable character then, but he asked for the rights to make a Mii costume because of his popularity and the amount of requests he gets for him. Since Sakurai already nows how much Geno is requested, tried to implement him several times in the past, and now has a working relationship with SE due to Cloud and the Geno Mii Costume, Geno actually has pretty good chances. By no means "obv confirmed!", but these are quite possibly the most favorable circumstances for his inclusion.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I wonder if by any chance Square and Nintendo have talked about RPG now that they've gotten on good terms again.

Wouldn't it be insane if during E3 a remake or sequel was announced for Switch and then followed by Geno's reveal trailer for Switch?

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
I wonder if by any chance Square and Nintendo have talked about RPG now that they've gotten on good terms again.

Wouldn't it be insane if during E3 a remake or sequel was announced for Switch and then followed by Geno's reveal trailer for Switch?
I'd rather Nintendo develop it because Square would take 10 years to make it

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
I think Geno was noticeably less requested than what he was back during the pre-Brawl days but I think he still did OK on the ballot. Probably not great but likely OK.

:094:
I think the only think stopping him is Square. They've got nothing to gain by putting Geno in and Geno isn't a huge gaming icon like Cloud so maybe Sakurai won't think the negotiations would be worth it.
This is something we all need to do something about. We need to find everybody who supported Geno during the Brawl days and drag them back here, and figure out some way to introduce Geno and everybody else from Super Mario RPG to a new generation.

Personally I think the problem is lack of exposure. Super Mario RPG is an older game that's kind of hard to find outside of the Wii Virtual Console, and unless you've played it it's hard to see Geno's appeal. Maybe if we all came together and made some kind of high-profile collaborative fan work that shows Geno and the other SMRPG characters as they were in the original game, perhaps with a new plot, and broadcast it everywhere, that'd help gain exposure and refuel Geno's popularity.

I could help code the thing if it were a game -- I could whip up an engine in Unity or Pygame. I'd hope to *not* let my computer science education go to waste.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Personally I think the problem is lack of exposure. Super Mario RPG is an older game that's kind of hard to find outside of the Wii Virtual Console, and unless you've played it it's hard to see Geno's appeal. Maybe if we all came together and made some kind of high-profile collaborative fan work that shows Geno and the other SMRPG characters as they were in the original game, perhaps with a new plot, and broadcast it everywhere, that'd help gain exposure and refuel Geno's popularity.

I could help code the thing if it were a game -- I could whip up an engine in Unity or Pygame. I'd hope to *not* let my computer science education go to waste.
Now there's an interesting idea. I'd be able to help write for such a project, if it came about (although I've already been doing quite a bit of that for this cause, hey hey).

Geno Boost

Smash Master
I haven't talked about this before but currently I have been playing VRChat a lot and I have a Geno avatar that I have added to the game and a lot of times when I enter a random public server as Geno I see people coming and tell me "yo it's Geno why aren't you in smash yet?" It gives me a big smile

SSBBDaisy

Smash Lord
Come on Sakurai I don't know exactly what your reason was for not putting Geno in back in Brawl. But clearly you know we want him by making him a Mii costume. so the only thing left to do is to go to the final level.

Edit: And Square Enix you put cloud in so you know who's next in line. I don't know why you guys are getting rid of Geno like you did in the remake of Mario and Luigi Superstars Saga there is nothing wrong with him and we love him and we need him in smash

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
My worry is that back then, even though he obviously wanted Geno, he didn't think it would be worth approaching Squenix over it while relations between them and Ninty were still so awkward, and even when he finally did it in Smash 4, Squenix themselves didn't want him in, at least not as much as an advertisement for a remake that's never coming out *ahem*. It's a sad prospect to consider, but still no reason to lose hope in our boy. Now that Cloud's made his debut in Smash, hopefully both Sakurai and Squenix will be more comfortable negotiating more characters for the future, which, if Sakurai gets his way, will mean Geno.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I did a thing
upload_2018-4-19_16-28-8.png

Also, something dumb; When I was a kid, I honestly thought Geno was the fat guy from Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon thanks to my CRT TV.

I thought the yellow markings were Geno's eyes, the front curl was a Mario-style nose and the side-curl was a cheek.

Needless to say I was confused why people wanted such a dopey-looking character in Smash until I saw his official artwork.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Also, something dumb; When I was a kid, I honestly thought Geno was the fat guy from Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon thanks to my CRT TV.

I thought the yellow markings were Geno's eyes, the front curl was a Mario-style nose and the side-curl was a cheek.

Needless to say I was confused why people wanted such a dopey-looking character in Smash until I saw his official artwork.
Now I'm just curious what you thought his actual eye was...

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Don't think that I didn't notice he stuck Geno in the Smash 4 roster in that video. :p

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Don't think that I didn't notice he stuck Geno in the Smash 4 roster in that video. :p
He removed Pac Man in order to do so.

...A sad but acceptable sacrifice if it means getting my boy in. :V

Last edited:

RosaPeach

Smash Journeyman
Geno needs to be in smash Im like one of those hardcores that support Geno in smash. May I please be added in the support list.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I wish I could be so optimistic about it. I think he absolutely has a shot, but it really comes down to Square to be completely honest. Geno not being in the Superstar Saga remake and Cloud having so few resources from his game (Music, trophies, only Japan voice, etc) makes me think they may not be playing nice with Nintendo...

I dunno. I hope. I really, really hope.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
From what I've read, Cloud not having an English voice is due to some kind of union issue with the voice actor. The rest of it is concerning, though it could just be a matter of time constraints for the trophies.

(no idea why they only added the bare minimum of music, though - even if One Winged Angel isn't an option due to how Smash handles some of the vocal music like Snake Eater, there should still be plenty of choices)

Last edited:

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Makes me wonder why they decided to add Cloud in the first place? They should have used Geno instead.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Makes me wonder why they decided to add Cloud in the first place? They should have used Geno instead.
Let's be realistic: Cloud is more well known and more hype than Geno.

Geno's a fan favorite of a one off game whereas Cloud is main protagonist of the game that codified the 3D JRPG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom