• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
I really want to like Geno more...

but Super Mario RPG is not particularly easy to own (assuming I am not going to be keeping my Wii U out), and being third party, he just doesnt seem impactful enough.

Does anyone have any help for these feelings? He really is a cool character, but with no future it just seems like a wasted third party entry to me (since we know, without question, that Sakurai has stated he doesnt want to just let everyone in).
He is very tough to justify even though I really want him and have since brawl when the hype made him seem likely.

I think at this point when we got a geno Mii costume in smash 4, its insane that fan push alone got this guy recognized at all, but I truly feel like this next smash roster will be heavily based on the ballot and include fan wanted characters. I just get the feeling this time it's gonna be all about giving fans the hype characters we've wanted, and Geno falls into that so well.

if he doesnt end up in the game I totally understand and even if he is I could really see him as DLC or something aimed at hardcore smash fans who have been asking for him for years. Its the sort of hype character that "tops" what we've seen before for the smash community, and there are few of those left to pull out. BUT the fact remains this time we know sakurai has heard us and we weren't asking to acknowledge geno we were yelling "make him playable" so we'll see...

RSF-Blue bomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lethlintejection
3DS FC
5069-3977-0380

domriver

Smash Lord
Hey guys I think you guys forget that Sakurai said he wanted him in since the brawl era because of how unique the moveset could be for him. let me link it to you guys. if anyhting his chances of joining is quite huge. better than others that people want because sakurai actually commented on him. heres the link: https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2016...ans-one-most-requested-smash-bros-characters/

reading this just re-assures me that Geno may have a incredibly high chance of making it in. Make it happen Sakurai. :)

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Yeah I don't know where the doom and gloom comes from. There has never been a better time for Geno. Enough with the relevance. Geno was mentioned specifically by Sakurai as a character he thought about putting in for the last 2 games. A ballot goes up and a ton of hot topic characters end up as official mii costumes including Geno. How are these things not a cause for being hopeful?

Stay positive! Hope for the best!

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Hey guys I think you guys forget that Sakurai said he wanted him in since the brawl era because of how unique the moveset could be for him. let me link it to you guys. if anyhting his chances of joining is quite huge. better than others that people want because sakurai actually commented on him. heres the link: https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2016...ans-one-most-requested-smash-bros-characters/
I haven't seen this before...this is very encouraging! It did always seem like the Mii costumes were indicators of characters that almost made the cut. That's why I actually bought the Geno one--and ONLY the Geno one, lol. I wanted to send a message.

Oh, I'm supporting, by the way. If that wasn't apparent.:grin:

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
I really want to like Geno more...

but Super Mario RPG is not particularly easy to own (assuming I am not going to be keeping my Wii U out), and being third party, he just doesnt seem impactful enough.

Does anyone have any help for these feelings? He really is a cool character, but with no future it just seems like a wasted third party entry to me (since we know, without question, that Sakurai has stated he doesnt want to just let everyone in).
That's the power of fan pull. If anything Geno's massive popularity (especially in Japan) is a testament to the power the gaming community has, and I hope at the end of this (if Geno hopefully gets on the roster this time, fingers crossed!) everybody sees how powerful a determined group of people can really be.

I think also a large part of the drive to get him in is due to the fact that such a compelling character was forgotten by history because of the Square-Nintendo spat all those years ago. Many Geno fans felt it wasn't the character's fault that he wasn't used in future games, and wanted to right the wrong. It's something that took a lot of time and a lot of campaigning to fix.

I am trying to keep my hopes tempered as well, but things are really REALLY looking up this time around. It might really be it this time.

I hope we get Geno and Mallow in a Mario Kart game too; that'd be awesome.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
That's the power of fan pull. If anything Geno's massive popularity (especially in Japan) is a testament to the power the gaming community has, and I hope at the end of this (if Geno hopefully gets on the roster this time, fingers crossed!) everybody sees how powerful a determined group of people can really be.
Here's hoping. Lord knows people only started taking Cloud in Smash seriously once he actually got in, despite being a total meme pick prior to that on the level of Goku and Shrek (see: Brawl Taunts 2). Besides, at this point, it's hardly even a matter of whether Sakurai wants him in or not (spoilers: he does); it's moreso about whether Squenix will be up for sending a second rep to the world of Smash and finally letting Nintendo use the guy again. That's not to say it's out of our hands, of course - that would just be depressing - but the reality is, it is largely in the hands of Squenix themselves as to whether our blue boy gets another chance to shine. We'll just have to wait and see how the cards fall on the business end of things.

Last edited:

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
So, here's one thing I'm wondering about Geno: would he be on the starting roster, or an unlockable? I very much see him as a super-secret surprise hidden character (like ROB was in Brawl,) thanks to his relatively obscure nature, but his status as a third-party character might suggest Square would want him front-and-center. It's an odd position to be in...

Thoughts?

domriver

Smash Lord
So, here's one thing I'm wondering about Geno: would he be on the starting roster, or an unlockable? I very much see him as a super-secret surprise hidden character (like ROB was in Brawl,) thanks to his relatively obscure nature, but his status as a third-party character might suggest Square would want him front-and-center. It's an odd position to be in...

Thoughts?
For me it doesn't really matter. As long as he is in the game thats all the matters. xD
:bluejump:

Geno Boost

Smash Master

Thoughts?
I would prefer him unlockable since in SMRPG he isn't available to play as from the start

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Support is building...!

We just need some good discussion going in this thread to keep it near the top of the list and draw others in. But what can we say that hasn't been said over the last 2 or 3 speculation rounds? Hmmmm...

Well, Geno's doing all right in the nominations over on the Rate Their Chances thread. If we all nominate him for a few rounds, maybe we can call more attention to him once he gets rated.

As for discussion, how about what Geno's role might be in a potential new story mode? Who would he be matched up with? Would he have an awesome shootout scene with, say, the Inklings?

Last edited:

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
Support is building...!

We just need some good discussion going in this thread to keep it near the top of the list and draw others in. But what can we say that hasn't been said over the last 2 or 3 speculation rounds? Hmmmm...

Well, Geno's doing all right in the nominations over on the Rate Their Chances thread. If we all nominate him for a few rounds, maybe we can call more attention to him once he gets rated.

As for discussion, how about what Geno's role might be in a potential new story mode? Who would he be matched up with? Would he have an awesome shootout scene with, say, the Inklings?

We could always collectively bother Square again. Given what we've all discussed, that might be the best course of action actually. Petitions, maybe? Dig up higher-ups' emails again? Run pickets in front of Square Enix's headquarters?

I'll have to mosey on over to the Rate Their Chances thread and put in my two cents.

If there's a new story mode this time around on par with the single-player mode in Brawl, I would expect them to bring Geno in in a similar way to how he showed up in Super Mario RPG: just show a star coming down from the heavens, have it float through a toy-themed arena or a child's room or any place likely to have dolls, have it stumble upon the Geno doll and possess it.

Bonus points if he does this in front of Luigi. I would die laughing if they made Luigi pass out from sheer terror after seeing that. You hear that, Nintendo? Luigi being traumatized into a coma -- that's all I want in life.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
If story mode happen I could expect Geno's rule to be at first just a Geno doll that appears as a part of a background and sitting
But then story goes on for other characters for so long until almost everyone meet each other and suddenly someone ends up beating them all and they turn into a trophy and after that the Star spirit comes and possess the Geno doll from the place that the doll was left in and it's up to him to save everyone.

I don't think turning Geno into a trophy during a story mode would make any sense unless if you beat up the star spirit itself

Last edited:

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
Geno was always one of those characters where I was pretty neutral on, I liked the design and I knew he had a fairly large fanbase so I thought it'd be cool to have him in and I'd be fine if he wasn't.

...then I started actually playing SMRPG, and now I definitely understand the appeal. I will admit I always preferred the format of Paper Mario (which is why it took me so long to play SMRPG), but I definitely understand now.

Support!

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
Nice roster Emcee.

Blue first every Smash roster.
Thanks, and thanks for the quick boost so I can post the moveset!

Speaking of which:

Design Philosophy: Geno’s moveset practically wrote itself. He uses a lot of projectiles, between his guns, energy attacks, and rocket fists, and I wanted to represent that in the variance of long ranged moves his normals use. Since he was the fastest party member in SMRPG, he’s fairly fast here, and has decent jump height to boot. Geno has very poor defense, a weakness also shared with his original appearance, and is best used as a Glass Cannon, avoiding hits while keeping enemies pressured with his high-damage arsenal.

Jab: A trio of swift spinning kicks.
Forward Tilt: His fingertips swing up on hidden hinges and he jabs his hand forward. A small exploding burst appears from his fingers.
Up Tilt: Swings his arm up while his forearm is in cannon mode. Creates a trail of star energy from the barrel in the arc swung.
Down Tilt: Fires his arm cannon down at the ground in front of him.
Dash Attack: Envelops himself in star energy and dives forward, spinning in a corkscrew battering ram motion.
Forward Smash: Ejects his fist as a rocket, with a brief burst of damage around Geno from the recoil. Travels slightly farther the longer it is charged.
Up Smash: Switches both forearms into their cannon modes and puts them together as he fires above his head, creating an explosion.
Down Smash: Geno’s arms swing up at the elbows and he fires cannons from them at the ground on both sides of him.
Neutral Aerial: Spins around in midair, hitting enemies with his cape.
Forward Aerial: Rapid fires his arm cannon a short distance ahead of him.
Back Aerial: Extends his arm behind him with his fingertip barrels open and creates a small explosion behind him.
Up Aerial: An upward flip kick.
Down Aerial: A downwards double-kick.
Grab: Ejects his hand a short distance from his body, which grabs the opponent and returns.
Pummel: Shoots the enemy with pellets from his arm cannon.
Forward Throw: Sends the enemy flying with a barrage of arm cannon pellets.
Back Throw: Spins around with the enemy and blasts them away with an explosion of star energy.
Up Throw: Tosses the opponent up in the air and blasts them with a laser.
Down Throw: Slams the opponent down off the ground with a short-range explosion.
Ledge Attack: Flips up onto the stage, shooting a laser off the ground.

NEUTRAL B: GENO BEAM
Geno charges up a beam of energy with his arm cannon. Unlike other charge moves where the effectiveness of the move is simply related to the length of the charge, when Geno holds this move, red stars appear above his head, somewhat sliding into place. Up to three appear, then they slide into one shape and disappear. The beam is larger, stronger, and travels farther depending on how many stars are in place, making the move its strongest when released while the third star has just slid into place. If held too long, it will fire a 1-star beam.

SIDE B: GENO WHIRL
Geno throws the yellow energy disc in front of him, which travels quickly across the screen and passes through enemies. On its own, it’s a standard projectile that deals small damage and a bit of hitstun, and can’t be effectively spammed. However, pressing B again after executing the move will cause the disc to spark a bit. If this input is timed at the exact moment the disc makes contact with the enemy, it will deal great damage and send them flying. The disc can only be triggered once, and the window of opportunity is very small, so button mashing will not work.

UP B: GENO BOOST:
Geno slowly rises up into the air, surrounded by upward red arrows. Somewhat slow, making it gimpable, and relatively poor for both vertical and horizontal recovery, but as compensation, the move causes Geno to gain a subtle red sheen and become buffed for a limited amount of time. He becomes slightly faster, jumps slightly higher, and deals slightly more damage until he either takes damage or uses a special move, upon which the buffs leave him with a star effect similar to what appears when Kirby loses a copy ability.

DOWN B: GENO BLAST

Geno takes a knee, and a small twinkling light appears up in the air in front of him. This move uses the same charging mechanic as the Geno Beam. When released, a colored ray of energy shoots down from the twinkling light to the ground, dealing just average damage and knockback. Each star charged adds another beam in a row ahead of Geno, so one beam dry-fired, 2 colorful beams for 1-star charges, all the way up to four possible beams in a row. If used at the stage edge, it does continue downward, however it does not spike.

FINAL SMASH: GENO FLASH
Geno’s entire body transforms into a large cannon, which aims up in the air in front of it and shoots his star form out of the body. His star form then explodes in a large supernova explosion, functioning similarly to a larger and even more devastating Smart Bomb to all caught in the blast. Once complete, the cannon reforms back into Geno.

Stage Entrance: The Geno doll is shown already sitting lifelessly on the stage, where the star spirit flies down into it, causing it to grow in size and become animate.
Idle Pose 1: Stands still and looks on both sides of himself suspiciously.
Idle Pose 2: Switches his arm back and forth between arm and cannon, inspecting it.
Up Taunt: Looks to the camera and nods, a reference to his SMRPG animation.
Side Taunt: Exits the doll body, causing it to shrink. Floats around it for a split second and enters it again, returning it to normal.
Down Taunt: Raises both his arms, shifting them into cannon mode, and jerks them back, cocking them like shotguns.

Victory Pose 1: Turns to the camera and nods approvingly.
Victory Pose 2: A Star Piece is shown floating around Geno, and he rests his hand on it.
Victory Pose 3: Looks offscreen then glances over at the camera.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I second this idea, assuming a Discord for Geno supporters doesn't already exist somewhere. Could be a good way to meet other Geno fans, and even measure our numbers relative to other characters' (not that it matters).
Speaking of advancing the Geno community, I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed, but... that OP of ours needs an update. Like, a lot. It's maligned with bork'd image embeds from top to bottom, and the general presentation of it reeks of 2008 and will likely make a less-than-positive first impression on prospective supporters, no offense to the person who originally wrote it up. Not sure if that's being worked on right now, but I'd be willing to put together an updated OP if nobody else already is.

Last edited:

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
I second this idea, assuming a Discord for Geno supporters doesn't already exist somewhere. Could be a good way to meet other Geno fans, and even measure our numbers relative to other characters' (not that it matters).
Speaking of advancing the Geno community, I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed, but... that OP of ours needs an update. Like, a lot. It's maligned with bork'd image embeds from top to bottom, and the general presentation of it reeks of 2008 and will likely make a less-than-positive first impression on prospective supporters, no offense to the person who originally wrote it up. Not sure if that's being worked on right now, but I'd be willing to put together an updated OP if nobody else already is.
PsychoIncarnate and I made the last two threads; that is WAY too much work and I'm not doing it again. Your turn.

So, do we have a Discord server yet?

Sounds like fun, I could one if we don't
I would be more than pleased if we could get one provided the rules in it are fair and enforced fairly instead of the place turning into a little fiefdom like what happens to Discord servers so wearily often.

Who would even be the mods there?

Last edited:

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
Oh, hey, Ridley avatars for April Fool's Day, neat.

Also, quick question: are we allowed to post short stories in the thread? I'm contemplating starting off a little Super Mario RPG/Paper Mario/Mario and Luigi theater to help drum up participation here, but I forgot whether there was a specific rule against that sort of thing or not.

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
PsychoIncarnate and I made the last two threads; that is WAY too much work and I'm not doing it again. Your turn.

I would be more than pleased if we could get one provided the rules in it are fair and enforced fairly instead of the place turning into a little fiefdom like what happens to Discord servers so wearily often.

Who would even be the mods there?
Uhh... yeah that's a good question.

I guess we would have to work something out as a community.

domriver

Smash Lord
Once Geno gets in (hopefully) what stage would you guys prefer to have to come with?
For me its : Aboard that ship where you fight the Axem Rangers. Cameos would be the Axem Rangers +Queen Valentina.
OR: Bowsers Keep at the top - Exor could be in the background looking - Exor opens his mouth ( the portal) Smithy can come out the Director, etc.... sigh......one can dream. Please Nintendo E3 REMAKE or REWORK SMRPG for the switch!!

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
Once Geno gets in (hopefully) what stage would you guys prefer to have to come with?
For me its : Aboard that ship where you fight the Axem Rangers. Cameos would be the Axem Rangers +Queen Valentina.
OR: Bowsers Keep at the top - Exor could be in the background looking - Exor opens his mouth ( the portal) Smithy can come out the Director, etc.... sigh......one can dream. Please Nintendo E3 REMAKE or REWORK SMRPG for the switch!!
Forest Maze is the big obvious one, but Bowser's Keep and the Blade are also fairly likely options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom