• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Dixie Kong is the only exclusion currently that really confuses me. She was considered as far back as Brawl and is relevant unlike K Rool, yet Metroid can have 4 reps and DK series can't? She was a female game character at a time when they were either sexualised or damsels in distress and yet she was neither of those things.

There are plenty of characters I'd love also, including Banjo and Geno but Dixie still being absent is glaringly off to me.
She really feels like the last major missing Nintendo character that isn't in the roster yet. I know thare is Bandana Dee, Toad, and Pig Ganon but her absence really makes the roster feel uncomplete.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Dixie Kong was meant to be a tag team partner to Diddy. She couldn't be playable that way. It's possible he wants her to be a partner to someone first. Since the gameplay is harder to make work, it makes sense why she isn't in yet. He has to have time first to make the partner mechanic work right. Diddy cannot be combined with her. So that leaves ones like Kiddy or Cranky. Smash Ultimate didn't have enough time for another Tag Team character in base. Thus, Dixie is lower priority over King K. Rool, who doesn't require as much time in comparison. They already had enough issues with making sure PT and IC worked right.

3DS should be obvious why Dixie couldn't get in for the same reason IC's and PT were cut. That is, if he is hard set on having her keep a tag team mechanic. Her being an echo/clone may never have been on the table. Sakurai's a stubborn man, after all. She's easily missing among the lineup, but at least there's a legit possible reason for it. Whether or not he should drop the idea is a different story.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Dixie Kong was meant to be a tag team partner to Diddy. She couldn't be playable that way. It's possible he wants her to be a partner to someone first. Since the gameplay is harder to make work, it makes sense why she isn't in yet. He has to have time first to make the partner mechanic work right. Diddy cannot be combined with her. So that leaves ones like Kiddy or Cranky. Smash Ultimate didn't have enough time for another Tag Team character in base. Thus, Dixie is lower priority over King K. Rool, who doesn't require as much time in comparison. They already had enough issues with making sure PT and IC worked right.

3DS should be obvious why Dixie couldn't get in for the same reason IC's and PT were cut. That is, if he is hard set on having her keep a tag team mechanic. Her being an echo/clone may never have been on the table. Sakurai's a stubborn man, after all. She's easily missing among the lineup, but at least there's a legit possible reason for it. Whether or not he should drop the idea is a different story.
Dixie was planned to be partnered up with Diddy in Brawl, but she doesn't need to be a tag team with somebody to be playable. She can be on her own like Diddy.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I personally want some sort of TF2 and Overwatch character. Ratchet & Clank, Vault Boy, Monika from Doki-Doki literature club, whoever those two characters were from zombies ate my neighbors, and Winnie the Pooh from Kingdom Hearts.

Last edited:

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman

I defo agree that K Rool did and should have taken priority, if we got one DK rep, he was the most original and wanted. That said, I disagree that Dixie needs a tag partner to be implemented. I know it was originally Sakurai's idea in Brawl but very few people care for Kiddy Kong where as Dixie has standalone merit in the franchise. It would be like not including Tails because he was originally partnered up with Sonic.

D

Deleted member

Speaking of Conker, which characters do you want to see in Smash other than your typical popular fan favourites?

For me, I'd absolutely love to see Aiai in Smash from Super Monkey Ball (preferably in his classic design). The first Super Monkey Ball was such an amazing launch title for the Gamecube, and the sequel was likewise fantastic. Even if he showed up as an assist trophy I'd be hyped.
Aran Ryan from Punch Out

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Honestly, I probably should change my icon to something different. I love you, banana duck, but... I gotta show support for my good star boy.

... It'd be so hard to change from duck pal, though...

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Dixie was planned to be partnered up with Diddy in Brawl, but she doesn't need to be a tag team with somebody to be playable. She can be on her own like Diddy.
For Sakurai? That might be a "need" to him. You need to remember he doesn't just drop ideas just because. Adding her for the sake of adding her isn't a great idea in itself. She's most known for the tag team mechanic. It's actually a big part of her character. It makes sense to wait for the opportunity.

He doesn't add characters just because. He always has reasons. It's not that simple.

I defo agree that K Rool did and should have taken priority, if we got one DK rep, he was the most original and wanted. That said, I disagree that Dixie needs a tag partner to be implemented. I know it was originally Sakurai's idea in Brawl but very few people care for Kiddy Kong where as Dixie has standalone merit in the franchise. It would be like not including Tails because he was originally partnered up with Sonic.
That's great, but that ignores what I said.

What I said is Sakurai likely thinks her being on a tag team is the right way to represent her, and hasn't added her until he can accomplish that. I don't think it should matter, but I see the appeal too. Dixie's thing was hair and tag team. That's her biggest character accomplishments. It's kind of... her thing. It makes a lot of sense to keep that ideal. And it's not a bad thing either. Personally, I don't care either way myself, but I can understand keeping her as faithful as possible too.

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
For Sakurai? That might be a "need" to him. You need to remember he doesn't just drop ideas just because. Adding her for the sake of adding her isn't a great idea in itself. She's most known for the tag team mechanic. It's actually a big part of her character. It makes sense to wait for the opportunity.

He doesn't add characters just because. He always has reasons. It's not that simple.

That's great, but that ignores what I said.

What I said is Sakurai likely thinks her being on a tag team is the right way to represent her, and hasn't added her until he can accomplish that. I don't think it should matter, but I see the appeal too. Dixie's thing was hair and tag team. That's her biggest character accomplishments. It's kind of... her thing. It makes a lot of sense to keep that ideal. And it's not a bad thing either. Personally, I don't care either way myself, but I can understand keeping her as faithful as possible too.
It doesn't ignore what you said because I disagree a tag-team mechanic is a defining feature of Dixie Kong than it is a defining feature of the classic DK SNES trilogy. She is important in Tropical Freeze and yet tag-teaming is entirely absent from that game. I really don't think Sakurai sees Dixie as partner up-or-bust like you seem to imply.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, I probably should change my icon to something different. I love you, banana duck, but... I gotta show support for my good star boy.

How about the star boy in a dress you drew :grin:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

A lot of DK fans on Smashboards including myself would disagree with you or Sakurai on Dixie sharing a slot with Kiddy or another character. You make it sound like Dixie couldn't work without the tag team mechanic. If that was the case, than Diddy shouldn't be his own character in the first place.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It doesn't ignore what you said because I disagree a tag-team mechanic is a defining feature of Dixie Kong than it is a defining feature of the classic DK SNES trilogy. She is important in Tropical Freeze and yet tag-teaming is entirely absent from that game. I really don't think Sakurai sees Dixie as partner up-or-bust like you seem to imply.
Tropical Freeze isn't the game she made her debut in. That's just yet another game in the series. It did not exist when he intended to get her in, meaning it wasn't a defining feature at that point. It makes sense to keep that ideal.

A lot of DK fans on Smashboards including myself would disagree with you or Sakurai on Dixie sharing a slot with Kiddy or another character. You make it sound like Dixie couldn't work without the tag team mechanic. If that was the case, than Diddy shouldn't be his own character in the first place.
No, I make it sound like it could be the actual reason she never got in. Diddy isn't the same thing as was seen separate from DK on occasion. Dixie was always tied to the hip of someday till Tropical Freeze(which didn't exist during Brawl, meaning that her being a tag team absolutely was a key part of her character at that point). Which is when she actually was going to get in. He may change his mind, but he may not. Again, it makes sense if he keeps that ideal.

Last edited:

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
All the quirky wonderful Mario RPG character designs really leave me wishing I had the artistic talent to depict them. (Especially considering some of the dodgier official artworks that we've discussed lmao)

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
Simon's regular attack is the dumbest attack in the game, change my mind.

Outranges almost everything, can be used a million times a second, racks up damage fast. It's so stupid.

Also, 3.7 million range and people are still running away at A MINUTE LEFT.

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
Tropical Freeze isn't the game she made her debut in. That's just yet another game in the series. It did not exist when he intended to get her in, meaning it wasn't a defining feature at that point. It makes sense to keep that ideal.

No, I make it sound like it could be the actual reason she never got in. Diddy isn't the same thing as was seen separate from DK on occasion. Dixie was always tied to the hip of someday till Tropical Freeze(which didn't exist during Brawl, meaning that her being a tag team absolutely was a key part of her character at that point). Which is when she actually was going to get in. He may change his mind, but he may not. Again, it makes sense if he keeps that ideal.
I think you're trying too hard to attach your theory to Sakurai here. The only objective truth is she was cut from Brawl for Diddy standalone. The Smash 4 narrative you totally made up and are trying to insist it as Sakurai's logic when neither me or RetroGamerMax are convinced.

Lets just agree to disagree that she requires an extra Kong to be worth including to the roster

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth I'm not sure if you were saying that Battletoads and Banjo would be the most likely playable Rare characters if Nintendo was still partnered with Rare, but if you were, I'm gonna have to disagree with you there. I forget who exactly because I'm in kind of a rush right now, but someone said in the Conker thread that Conker is the Batman to Superman and I couldn't agree more. I feel like Conker would have just as good of a chance, if not better, than the Battletoads if Nintendo and Rare were still together. For some reason whenever Smash and Conker are brought up, the squirrel is critically underrated and always given the short end of the stick, meanwhile Conker gets pushed by Microsoft way more than Banjo (not trying to start any fights, just something to point out).

I just wish more people in general understood that Banjo isn't the only viable pick from Rare to get into Smash. I'm not saying everyone has the mindset, but it really looks that way. Conker has his own set of merits to getting into the game, coming from one of the most unique platformers on the N64 while still remaining relevant today (albeit in some pretty ****ty ways). Yes his game might have not sold as well as the Banjo games, but his cult following and general praise should not be underestimated. In my opinion, and once again I love Banjo don't get me wrong, just because Banjo is the most likely Rare character doesn't mean we should be shafting all the other Rare possibilities.

D

Deleted member

This is just a suggestion but what about a Geno Duck? it takes from both your current PFP being a Duck while Representing Geno.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
My feelings on Kiddy Kong have been made apparent by now, couldn't care less and don't want him in. Dixie can stand on her own merits.

I personally want some sort of TF2 and Overwatch character. Ratchet & Clank, Vault Boy, Monika from Doki-Doki literature club, whoever those two characters were from zombies ate my neighbors, and Winnie the Pooh from Kingdom Hearts.
Ahh, Zeke and Julie from ZAMN. Incidentally, Pakky Pakky did an icon for those two.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth I'm not sure if you were saying that Battletoads and Banjo would be the most likely playable Rare characters if Nintendo was still partnered with Rare, but if you were, I'm gonna have to disagree with you there. I forget who exactly because I'm in kind of a rush right now, but someone said in the Conker thread that Conker is the Batman to Superman and I couldn't agree more. I feel like Conker would have just as good of a chance, if not better, than the Battletoads if Nintendo and Rare were still together. For some reason whenever Smash and Conker are brought up, the squirrel is critically underrated and always given the short end of the stick, meanwhile Conker gets pushed by Microsoft way more than Banjo (not trying to start any fights, just something to point out).

I just wish more people in general understood that Banjo isn't the only viable pick from Rare to get into Smash. I'm not saying everyone has the mindset, but it really looks that way. Conker has his own set of merits to getting into the game, coming from one of the most unique platformers on the N64 while still remaining relevant today (albeit in some pretty ****ty ways). Yes his game might have not sold as well as the Banjo games, but his cult following and general praise should not be underestimated. In my opinion, and once again I love Banjo don't get me wrong, just because Banjo is the most likely Rare character doesn't mean we should be shafting all the other Rare possibilities.
Yeah, especially since the Battletoads are getting a revival THIS VERY YEAR.

It's odd how this just gets glossed over so quickly.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You kidding me, m8? It's gonna be a big E3 showstopper.
It's gonna be bigger that Joker or a potential Resident Evil reveal

It's gonna be the biggest Smash announcement ever. And Vergeben will not leak it.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Can you imagine a leaker like Verge mistaking fan art for a genuine leak?

That’d... Be very interesting...

D

Deleted member

Oh yeah, talking about Verge reminded me of another thing.

I once saw a GameFaqs user with the name of "Verggeben" (with two g's) trying to impersonate him and it just made me laugh my *** of so hard

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Banjo is the most requested. That's what my point was.

I agree ignoring the others is silly.

I think you're trying too hard to attach your theory to Sakurai here. The only objective truth is she was cut from Brawl for Diddy standalone. The Smash 4 narrative you totally made up and are trying to insist it as Sakurai's logic when neither me or RetroGamerMax are convinced.
I didn't make up the Smash 4 narrative at all. We know for sure that characters were made impossible due to 3DS' limitations. If Sakurai is bent on keeping her part of a tag team(which is quite possible, as she's not exactly hard to make otherwise, especially as an Echo alone. Or even a semi in 4), it's an actual fact it would be impossible in the 3DS version. It's quite possible it's the actual situation. It seems silly to dismiss this as impossible. Especially when she's still not in Ultimate, despite being a potential Echo or "easy to add". This narrative fits exactly what he planned to do with her. It's a reasonable theory and something people should keep in mind. Especially if she's still not DLC. Like, it's possible he changes his mind, but it's pretty odd how he has yet to. But once again, we know he's stubborn.

Lets just agree to disagree that she requires an extra Kong to be worth including to the roster
Nothing to disagree or agree on. That's just a possibility and may actually be the case. She was cut because she couldn't work as a tag team character(the sole reason he gave). She has yet to be in, with both cases literally being games where a Tag Team wouldn't work out as is. Either base(Ultimate, due to taking a lot more time than anyone else and thus was lower priority) or as is(3DS, because a tag team was impossible in that game). The theory fully holds up at this point. It doesn't mean it's right, just that there's literally zero evidence of why she hasn't been in otherwise. It's literally the only thing that can hold her back. It isn't relevance. It isn't being a clone/echo, because she is perfectly doable as that. The only thing that fits what Sakurai ever spoke of is that he wants to stick with a specific way to have her, and it hasn't been an option yet. In fact, it may never work anyway, since it wasn't just Brawl itself or any limitations. His ideal gameplay for her may just be too hard to work with. Which is all the more reason to drop the idea and just move on. This isn't like with Ice Climbers who he worked hard to make work on the 3DS, and it still didn't work out. They were already preset in Smash with a clear design. At least they had a good reason to split Zelda/Sheik up(besides the fact they were used like separate characters, which means them being split up wouldn't do much). Diddy being split up is only because he was coming in before Dixie ever would. He still worked. Dixie didn't as he wanted her to. Why he considers Diddy fine separate but apparently doesn't consider Dixie separate is hard to say. It could be caring too much about the original game designs, where Dixie was always a tag team character. It could be he considers this the best mechanic to represent her. It could be he doesn't think she's a necessity.

BTW, Metroid only has 4 characters because of an Echo. It's effectively meant to be 3 but had enough time. Dark Samus had no plans to be included beyond an Echo at any point. Dixie did, so her not being in yet possibly relates to his intentional plan. But as I said, dismissing a legitimate point when we know Sakurai is stubborn is silly. It doesn't matter how great Tropical Freeze is, or that Dixie evolved as a character. That doesn't change much of anything. If it's suspicious why Dixie isn't in yet, then there's your reason. He wants her to have a mechanic. It's not hard to see him being stubborn enough to take this all the way till it's possible or he's no longer making Smash. Just a possibly that needs to be accepted at this point.

Last edited:

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Well, the cancelled game reports have resurfaced. Sure enough, it seems to be Scalebound.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._being_revived_as_a_nintendo_switch_exclusive

No idea whether this is legit, but it's intredasting enough. Also, Nintendo Insider is really on the nose, as website names go.
For all we know it could be unrelated to the other rumor as far as what the article says since the other one was so vague.

Good lord though I’m sick of rumors. Nintendo saying they have the “Make everyone happy” title was vague enough at that’s an official post.

I think we might be entering rumorception.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom