• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
The sword argument really only applies to Fire Emblem given how four characters have a similar moveset, and all of the FE characters so far wield a sword. If the anime swordsman thing was a legit universal argument, then Cloud would have been reviled upon release. No one would have been wanting Ganondorf to wield a sword if the swordsman argument was a legit thing. It really does sound like an excuse to bash the characters people don't want as a way to demean them.

Also difficulty in application does not equal the quality it'll provide either
If that were the case Sakurai would specifically be referencing FE characters. But he didn’t. He just said sword users. Trying to completely ignore what people (even the director of the game) are bringing up and dismissing it as “u just don’t like the character” is pretty silly. Like people have laid out why they don’t want more in. It’s just not as interesting and hard to differentiate from the other sword fighters we have.

Cloud wasn’t reviled because people actually wanted him in for ages. That’s the difference between him and Erdrick. But as time goes on it’s just not as interesting to add another character like that. The only characters I can think of that actually had a lot of excitement to get in are Rex and Sora. And one is not happening at least for this pack and the other seems like a long shot.

D

Deleted member

If that were the case Sakurai would specifically be referencing FE characters. But he didn’t. He just said sword users. Trying to completely ignore what people (even the director of the game) are bringing up and dismissing it as “u just don’t like the character” is pretty silly. Like people have laid out why they don’t want more in. It’s just not as interesting and hard to differentiate from the other sword fighters we have.

Cloud wasn’t reviled because people actually wanted him in for ages. That’s the difference between him and Erdrick. But as time goes on it’s just not as interesting to add another character like that. The only characters I can think of that actually had a lot of excitement to get in are Rex and Sora. And one is not happening at least for this pack and the other seems like a long shot.
And Sakurai never said why beyond they're harder to work with, and the most frequent sword users that made it into Smash were Fire Emblem characters. Fathom an intuitive guess. I can't see how Sakurai's word on the subject is an argument against sword users when
1) There might be only so many ways you can swing a sword, but there are also so many ways you can punch someone too. The difference is in what other tools are at their hand. If they're differentiated beyond being a clone, they're different. Challenge to differentiate does not mean they are the same. The fact that Sakurai says that he can differentiate them means they are inherently different from another as long as they aren't a clone. Therefore, it's a concession that being a sword fighter is meaningless.
2) People want Isaac. Popularity does not negate how a sword user is still a sword user. I can't assume you want Isaac in, but I can assume people who want Isaac in are never thinking about how he uses a sword. They're thinking about what he can do beyond the sword, and he can do a lot. So can any Dragon Quest hero and DQ is more recognizable than Golden Sun when we look outside of the Smash Bubble, especially if Nintendo and Square further their DQ promotion throughout the year.

It's a superficial argument spawned out of indifference toward a series that could apply to literally any character, even Geno. Questioning the unique play style just by looking at a character's design is not an argument specific to Erdrick. Erdrick is just currently the popular target because a lot is seemingly at stake right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I agree with Datboigeno Datboigeno . Erdrick is a character that people would have to be sold on. It would matter a lot less if they were base but they're paid DLC and, if Corrin taught us anything, people don't care if they're unique if they don't know who they are or really want them. I can still see Erdrick being added but I disagree with the idea that most people would simply accept the character if not enough was done to preface their arrival.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If the intent is to warm people up overseas to the idea of Dragon Quest, they've been doing that since 1989.

Smash fans believe that all the recent DQ promotion is for priming up an apparent character arrival, but to people in Japan, it's only Saturday.

I wouldn’t be as gung ho about him specifically being in Smash for his return because he mechanically wouldn’t be that dissimilar from characters like Link who are already in the game. It’s like how I feel about Sora. I like the character and I like KH but there are a lot of characters I would want in before him because (as I’m pointing out for the third time) Sakurai even said it’s hard to make sword characters feel that different from one another.
At least in Sora's case there's plenty of stuff going for him if you know where to look, even if the metric ton of Disney stuff can't get in. Kingdom Hearts II alone gives him various battle forms, including one that straight-up ditches the Keyblade altogether and has you claw at things for a minute or so.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I agree with Datboigeno Datboigeno . Erdrick is a character that people would have to be sold on. It would matter a lot less if they were base but they're paid DLC and, if Corrin taught us anything, people don't care if they're unique if they don't know who they are or really want them. I can still see Erdrick being added but I disagree with the idea that most people would simply accept the character if not enough was done to preface their arrival.
This would likely be magnified if it also feels way too much like Square is trying to sell us on Dragon Quest, which was also a fault with Corrin.

D

Deleted member

I'm not expecting Erdrick to be initially praised, but reveal day stops becoming relevant when people start playing the character, like Corrin but with better context.

Corrin also had the displeasure of being one of the last three DLC characters for Smash 4, while Erdrick would most likely be one of the first two for Ultimate. I can't see it being a Corrin situation. Or if it is a Corrin situation, it wont be nearly as disappointing

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I'm a bit of a mix on the argument here. I think the sword user thing is pretty unfair outside of the whole thing with... pretty much having multiple Marths running around. Besides that, there are people who want Isaac, a swords-user. He has more than just his sword... kinda like Erdrick. I don't think that's the inherent problem here.

His obscurity in the common eye, however, might be a concern. A lot of people who have Switches are apparently older people as opposed to children who will be instantly enamored by, "Oh, he looks like Goku, so I'll beg my parents to buy him for me!" They're likely to scrutinize a character that much more than someone younger, and if they don't show off Erdrick with a heck of a flair that no one can refuse, he might fall flatter than expected. I don't think he'll be downright hated by a lot of people, don't get me wrong, but what he has going for in legacy, he doesn't have going for in love and popularity in the west. He doesn't have that same pull as characters people are practically begging on their hands and knees for.

To me, it's like if, say, Cranky Kong got in before K. Rool. We'd be like oh, hey, that's awesome, Cranky's great... but where's K. Rool? We've been asking for him, not this. People ask for Sephiroth, Sora, and yes, even Geno, even if his popularity is more insular. People often tend to look at who a character isn't as opposed to who they are, unfortunately, even if I don't agree with that being logical. Keeping that in mind, that'll probably be a turn-off for many people.

I'm not expecting Erdrick to be initially praised, but reveal day stops becoming relevant when people start playing the character, like Corrin but with better context.

Corrin also had the displeasure of being one of the last three DLC characters for Smash 4, while Erdrick would most likely be one of the first two for Ultimate. I can't see it being a Corrin situation. Or if it is a Corrin situation, it wont be nearly as disappointing
I'd say this is pretty much spot-on. There will be disappointment, I'm sure, but it won't be to quite as great a level as Corrin.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

Corrin also had the displeasure of being one of the last three DLC characters for Smash 4, while Erdrick would most likely be one of the first two for Ultimate. I can't see it being a Corrin situation. Or if it is a Corrin situation, it wont be nearly as bad.
I still see people hating on Corrin.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Like myself
In the base game for Ultimate, I'm fine with Corrin. Their move set is interesting and they're pretty fun to play with, plus female Corrin is a cutie-pie. (Listen, I'm biased for cute girls. Shh.) However, Sm4sh was... definitely a different case lmao. I saw Corrin for DLC and I was like, "Ugh, really?" Not angry, but just rolling my eyes and going, "That's one I definitely won't buy." It's such a big difference when it's an included character versus paid DLC.

D

Deleted member

I still see people hating on Corrin.
Sounds about right. Fates itself is pretty divisive among FE fans themselves. Erdrick at least has a legacy, a new and consistently good series for Smash, not much pressure against him, and more personality thanks to his artist.

D

Deleted member

In the base game for Ultimate, I'm fine with Corrin. Their move set is interesting and they're pretty fun to play with, plus female Corrin is a cutie-pie. (Listen, I'm biased for cute girls. Shh.) However, Sm4sh was... definitely a different case lmao. I saw Corrin for DLC and I was like, "Ugh, really?" Not angry, but just rolling my eyes and going, "That's one I definitely won't buy." It's such a big difference when it's an included character versus paid DLC.
I still don't like Corrin's inclusion in the base game because (for me at least) it was an unnecessary addition and an overkill on FE characters

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Corrin was consistently bottom 5 for popularity polls for Smash 4 and I don't think it'll be that different for Ultimate especially with the character now being notably worse. Online, I've run into literally one since launch.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
In general, how would we all feel if someone from Three Houses was put in the game?
If it isn't a swords-user, I guess I could put up with them move set-wise, but I'd be really annoyed with them going with another FE shill pick. If they went with an older FE character that is already beloved like, say, Hector instead of Edelgard, I'd be far more receptive.

D

Deleted member

If it isn't a swords-user, I guess I could put up with them move set-wise, but I'd be really annoyed with them going with another FE shill pick. If they went with an older FE character that is already beloved like, say, Hector instead of Edelgard, I'd be far more receptive.
Same. If there is another FE character, I'd want it to be Hector or Lyn. I wouldn't absolutely love it, but I wouldn't hate it either.

I would hate an FE shill pick.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Definitely not SMRPG, given the fact that it's a game that was officially cancelled. Might be the F-Zero Wii U game that went nowhere (please god please) or Metroid: Dread. SMRPG2 would have happened if Square hadn't been a problem, but it was never cancelled. It was just officially made into Paper Mario. That means SMRPG2 wouldn't be it either.

I'm very, veeeeeery curious, though.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
Definitely not SMRPG, given the fact that it's a game that was officially cancelled. Might be the F-Zero Wii U game that went nowhere (please god please) or Metroid: Dread. SMRPG2 would have happened if Square hadn't been a problem, but it was never cancelled. It was just officially made into Paper Mario. That means SMRPG2 wouldn't be it either.

I'm very, veeeeeery curious, though.
I though the same, but I really wonder what could it be...

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Is this just something coming straight from Imran Khan? Or was it an official statement made by Nintendo?

I don't find any reason to believe Imran Khan. He said the direct would be "big," which implied that it would be a lot better than most directs which is...laughable.
Eh, the Direct was overhyped by a lot of people, in my opinion, but hasn't Imran gotten a lot of stuff right before? Could someone refresh me on that?

D

Deleted member

Eh, the Direct was overhyped by a lot of people, in my opinion, but hasn't Imran gotten a lot of stuff right before? Could someone refresh me on that?
If he did, I'm sure he would have been brought up a while ago as someone who should be payed a lot of attention.

Again, I don't see any reason to believe him.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
So it came from Khan... Interesting...

Very interesting...
I also wonder if it could even be Mother 3. It's a bit of a stretch, but it could also be referring to an official, insular cancellation that no one was made privy to. Given the rumors of Mother 3's localization being internally 'cancelled', that would line up a bit... but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

D

Deleted member

I also wonder if it could even be Mother 3. It's a bit of a stretch, but it could also be referring to an official, insular cancellation that no one was made privy to. Given the rumors of Mother 3's localization being internally 'cancelled', that would line up a bit... but I wouldn't get my hopes up.
I think Mother 3 is happening. Not because of this though. I don't trust Imran Khan.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
That's honestly kinda what I'm thinking. Especially with how be backtracked saying it was just a rumor. I'm not 100% on him since well, the whole M3 debacle, but this would line up with insiders thinking it was cancelled. Wouldn't be surprised if insiders were purposely mislead, especially with the news of Star Fox Grand Prix being fiction.

It'd be pretty damn funny if it ended up being EB64.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Watch it be Earthbound 64. I would so be down for buying it or a 3D Mother 3 game inspired by EB64 just to compare the two, Would definitely be very interesting.

Edit: Is it real or not? I have no idea, but it would be hilarious if EB64 actually happened.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Guys like Isaac, Rex and Sora kinda show that when a character has strong support they can easily tank that swordfighter ‘argument’.
I wouldn’t be as gung ho about him specifically being in Smash for his return because he mechanically wouldn’t be that dissimilar from characters like Link who are already in the game. It’s like how I feel about Sora. I like the character and I like KH but there are a lot of characters I would want in before him because (as I’m pointing out for the third time) Sakurai even said it’s hard to make sword characters feel that different from one another.
And Sakurai never said why beyond they're harder to work with, and the most frequent sword users that made it into Smash were Fire Emblem characters. Fathom an intuitive guess. I can't see how Sakurai's word on the subject is an argument against sword users when
1) There might be only so many ways you can swing a sword, but there are also so many ways you can punch someone too. The difference is in what other tools are at their hand. If they're differentiated beyond being a clone, they're different. Challenge to differentiate does not mean they are the same. The fact that Sakurai says that he can differentiate them means they are inherently different from another as long as they aren't a clone. Therefore, it's a concession that being a sword fighter is meaningless.
2) People want Isaac. Popularity does not negate how a sword user is still a sword user. I can't assume you want Isaac in, but I can assume people who want Isaac in are never thinking about how he uses a sword. They're thinking about what he can do beyond the sword, and he can do a lot. So can any Dragon Quest hero and DQ is more recognizable than Golden Sun when we look outside of the Smash Bubble, especially if Nintendo and Square further their DQ promotion throughout the year.

It's a superficial argument spawned out of indifference toward a series that could apply to literally any character, even Geno. Questioning the unique play style just by looking at a character's design is not an argument specific to Erdrick. Erdrick is just currently the popular target because a lot is seemingly at stake right now.
Whoa, you guys need to slow down for a minute, because you are missing a key issue here: individuality. Uniqueness, if you will, something that people are running over one another to grasp a hold of nowadays.

Yes, there are only so many ways you can use a sword, and while Sakurai did admit Brawlers can be a bit generic as well, there are more ways for you to attack someone with your body than with a sword: close-fist attacks, open-hand attacks, multitudes of kicks, headbutts, shoulder-checks, shoulder charge, running attacks, elbow attacks, knees, grappling and throws, etc etc etc. The only reason Sakurai finds this to be a bit generic is that most of the characters in Smash use hand-to-hand combat and he's gone through a lot of what is available...but with a sword user? You swipe your sword in different directions and you stab with it, anything else is either flourish (like parrying, jabbing them with the hilt, etc) and would be based off character experience and personality or requires a bigger or smaller sword (fencing, two-handed, etc). Being focused on a sword is way more limited in terms of moveset, but the idea in RL is that you now have the advantage of wielding a weapon that can kill with a single strike instead of dealing blunt damage with your body...that doesn't really translate into Smash though.

Robin was a combo of both limited magic usage and wielding a sword a smidge differently from the others. Shulk was our first Xenoblade rep and he brought something new to the table: augmenting his base moveset with temporary buffs. Cloud was highly requested and brought us something unique: having a bigger sword (so more range and damage) but still being rather nimble (unlike Ike) while also having a projectile and a unique meter that enhances his specials and gives him a brand new one that is very strong. Corrin was also unique: having a pinning mechanic and even more range, having a projectile unlike and any other swordwielder before him/her, and having the Dragonblood powers to have unique normals and aerials unlike other swordwielders.

Now you are trying to say that 'there cannot be hate for swordwielders because people want X character and they wield a sword, so...' and that would be a sound argument...until you look at the requested characters.

I know little about Rex or XBC2 but I did see some gameplay when they focused on it for forever at an Nintendo Treehouse on the E3 showfloor one year, and from what I recall I believe Rex has a lot of unique spells or physical arts to pull from, as well as possibly having him use different Blades. I also haven't played Golden Sun, but I can tell you right now from what I've heard from our brothers of other mothers in the Isaac support thread that he is very unique. Isaac is a Venus Adept, which comes with a whole slew of spells and abilities, and his AT doesn't even have him attack with his sword and only has him use one of his many powers at his disposal, meaning that Isaac has plenty of room to be unique. Lloyd Irving from the Tales Of would also be unique, as he apparently can perform berserker feats and he dualwields, which is something new to Smash I believe.

Now, I've played the majority of the KH games, certainly each any every one with Sora in it, so let me tell you that not a single person who complains about swordwielders can complain about Sora...the dude is absolutely nuts! Even in his younger, less crazy days in KH1 he was still a bit of a combat acrobat. Back then he had offensive and defensive magic as well as utility with Cure and Stop, physical and magical arts with Sonic Blade, Zantetsuken, Strike Raid, Ars Arcanum and my fav Ragnarok. He can jump pretty high, glide around, and already has a dodge roll, and then he could also summon aid from others with his Summonings. Entering KH2 and he just gets more to work with: he gets more combo finishers that explode with magical energy and are AoE, he can stay in the air for a long time simply by attacking and leaving damaging trails of magical essence from his attacks, gains access to more kinds of magic, different Summons, and then he also gets access to Drive forms which completely change up his fighting style. He can become more magic and projectile based, more physical and combo based and fight with two keyblades, and in his Final Form he can control keyblades magically and have them attack at his will with ridiculous attacks. In DDD they introduce flowmotion, which allows him to do crazy spinning attacks and dash far and basically just do crazy magical parkour movement and attacks, and in KH3 he can transform his keyblades into different forms to attack with different weapons with different properties as well as using the shotlock which allows him to unleash an attack that has invulnerability during it's duration and is more effective the longer his focuses on the enemy. He can also use this for Air Stepping which allows him to move through falling debris and other difficult terrain extremely fast as well as close in on an enemy and barrage them, and of course he gains access to different kinds of magic and summons here too.

See, these characters are requested because they are loved AND they have the opportunity to bring crazy unique things to Smash. You know who isn't requested nearly as much and doesn't have anything super crazy to bring to Smash? Erdrick. He's just your average JRPG protag with average moves from what I have gathered. People argue he can use other tools like boomerangs...but Link does that. People argue he can use magic, but Robin does that already and the other above have more unique uses of magic or abilities than Erdrick. Being short and fast would be nothing new, and if they put him in armor and made him a heavy hitter we already have Ike and now partially Ganondorf.

What could Erdrick truly bring that would make him unique enough to outweigh the outcry of his inclusion being so un-requested and unknown in the West?
On the topic of Dragon Quest, Square Enix made an interesting announcement yesterday. There's going to be a feature length Dragon Quest movie... But it's going to be based on Dragon Quest V. It's interesting to note this because this is the first time Dragon Quest has had anything animated in decades and they didn't go with III, the best known, most rereleased, and most popular one.

"I'm sure it's been talked about here but one of the main people behind Dragon Quest Builders made comments about Dragon Quest content in Smash that were very similar to those made by the people behind ARMS (basically that they really want it but haven't been contacted about anything) so it's just becoming an increasingly weird situation." Edit: apparently this was just a rumor going around because I can't find the interview.

You could make the argument that the table is being set very poorly for an Erdrick arrival because they seem to keep swerving big opportunities to introduce the character to wider audiences.
Hmm, I'm hoping there is some truth to this, mainly so we can see Erdrick's chances fade into nothing. I get a few groups of people really want him, but he really would be one of the worst choices to pick for so many reasons. Nintendo needs to keep on the ball with Smash.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
For the SNES Mini we got the unreleased Star Fox 2 which, is kind of a beta version of Star Fox 64. Imagine if we got EB64 (beta version of Mother 3) or Ura Zelda on the N64 Mini, that would be insane. It would be a dream came true for us major N64 fans if either of those two unreleased titles were to be on the N64 Mini.

While we're on this subject, the other day, I was looking through my posts in older threads and noticed that someone assumed that FE wouldn't have more than 3 characters, during the Brawl era.

That post sure aged well.
Lmao! If only they knew what was coming.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom