• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

bardbowman

Smash Apprentice
Im not sure how significant this is, but someone I know recently went to the Nintendo store in NYC, and as he walked in the front door, he could hear the “Fight Against Monsters” SMRPG track playing in the background.

Maybe I’m comparing apples to oranges here, but being able to use that soundtrack as background music tells me that it’s not very hard at all for Nintendo to get the rights to use them. I know this is something we’ve already hashed out around here, but this could be another piece of evidence to lay on top of that theory. Seriously, the more we learn about it, the more this music omission feels so glaring and suspicious.

Also, it’s yet another nod to SMRPG. I don’t know how long they’ve included the soundtrack in their store playlist, but it still speaks to how well the game is remembered and appreciated by NoA. I’d imagine that, if they using the game’s battle theme, they’re also using other more iconic tracks from the game too.

Even if it doesn’t end up being through Smash (for whatever reason), I’m feeling very upbeat about the future of our boy, and the revival of SMRPG in general.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
Im not sure how significant this is, but someone I know recently went to the Nintendo store in NYC, and as he walked in the front door, he could hear the “Fight Against Monsters” SMRPG track playing in the background.

Maybe I’m comparing apples to oranges here, but being able to use that soundtrack as background music tells me that it’s not very hard at all for Nintendo to get the rights to use them. I know this is something we’ve already hashed out around here, but this could be another piece of evidence to lay on top of that theory. Seriously, the more we learn about it, the more this music omission feels so glaring and suspicious.

Also, it’s yet another nod to SMRPG. I don’t know how long they’ve included the soundtrack in their store playlist, but it still speaks to how well the game is remembered and appreciated by NoA. I’d imagine that, if they using the game’s battle theme, they’re also using other more iconic tracks from the game too.

Even if it doesn’t end up being through Smash (for whatever reason), I’m feeling very upbeat about the future of our boy, and the revival of SMRPG in general.
Next time, tell him to record it please

Ovaltine

Smash Master

It's at least a testament to NoA's respect for the game, and the fact that they were able to license Yoko's music for the store is... honestly definitive proof that it's easy for them to get music rights. That's no surprise to me, given that involves minimal negotiation with Square (if any), moreso with Shimomura-san.

That said, that's still really nice. Just... aww, man. That's so heartwarming.

D

Deleted member

You know how Brave is short? About as tall as Ness and Lucas? A tiny bit shorter than Mario?

Well, ladies and gentlemen, I think the answer is quite obvious. Here's a guy who fits both of those criterias.
JaketheDog.png

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

I find it funny and interesting that they would put an RPG battle track as background music for shopping and not for a game that is all about fighting. The only explanation I can think of for why SMRPG music is not in Smash is that Nintendo and Sakurai are purposely withholding it for a reason. That reason could very well be so they could come with a DLC pack, since a DLC packs selling points are a character, a stage and music.

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman
Do you think it's possible that Sakurai would convince Nintendo to include Geno for his own sake? Like, oh hey, the guy who's made one of our most iconic game series wants us to do him a solid.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Do you think it's possible that Sakurai would convince Nintendo to include Geno for his own sake? Like, oh hey, the guy who's made one of our most iconic game series wants us to do him a solid.
Maybe. It depends on just how much Sakurai wants Geno, really. Considering he personally loves the character and knows the fans want him, that could possibly happen.

D

Deleted member

I think it's possible. I hope that's the case too lol

D

Deleted member

At this point he's been wanting Geno for at least three games now and since Square is already on board I do think it's Possible that he tried to go up to NoJ and convince them to do him a Solid, do I think it's likely he did that? Not necessarily but it's still a possibility. I do hope that's what happened though.

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
Just a thought, what if Geno was a DLC character AND he came with Mii Costumes of some Mario RPG characters.

Axem Ranger sword fighter costumes please xxx

D

Deleted member

Just a thought, what if Geno was a DLC character AND he came with Mii Costumes of some Mario RPG characters.

Yes please, I would buy an Axem Ranger sword fighter costume the exact millisecond it would come out.

Ovaltine

Smash Master

SMRPG Mii costumes would make me actually use the Miis at all, so that would be something, haha.

bardbowman

Smash Apprentice
I could definitely see Booster working as a mii brawler. And the Axem Rangers as mii swordfighters...

Heck, I can even see a Belome Hat being a thing.

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
I wonder if the sudden attention given to SMRPG is to promote the game enough so that Geno becomes more mainstream and therefore has a stronger backing for Smash. I feel like Geno could've been added, but maybe Sakurai and his team felt that he just wasn't popular enough in spite of the fanservice. Therefore, NoA is taking special care of SMRPG because they want Geno to be more popular or at the very least known enough so that people don't immediately dismiss him as irrelevant.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Maybe. It depends on just how much Sakurai wants Geno, really. Considering he personally loves the character and knows the fans want him, that could possibly happen.
And we can't forget that no DLC suggestions were denied, according to Reggie.
At this point he's been wanting Geno for at least three games now and since Square is already on board I do think it's Possible that he tried to go up to NoJ and convince them to do him a Solid, do I think it's likely he did that? Not necessarily but it's still a possibility. I do hope that's what happened though.
They'd be doing Sakurai a solid :ultsnake:.

Now that Sakurai has the help of Nintendo, he could easily get access to third-party rights because Nintendo is like that friend or sibling that will help you pay for something. To get Geno, well, you actually need Shigeru Miyamoto and Square because Miyamoto is the one that basically has the authority of the Mario characters, hence why I think Geno is a pain in the ass to get since Miyamoto has that weird hatred for Mario RPG characters. There's some info going around that Miyamoto actually created Geno, so yeah, I guess Sakurai has to get the green light from Miyamoto as well. Super Smash Brothers is a Nintendo published series and not a third-party series/game, so I think Miyamoto will play ball as long as Square gets onboard first. First comes Square, then Miyamoto.

BoyMan

Smash Cadet

Made some palette swaps using the Smashified Geno render. First one is Peach's color scheme, second is Cloud 9 colors, and third is edge mode.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I wonder if the sudden attention given to SMRPG is to promote the game enough so that Geno becomes more mainstream and therefore has a stronger backing for Smash. I feel like Geno could've been added, but maybe Sakurai and his team felt that he just wasn't popular enough in spite of the fanservice. Therefore, NoA is taking special care of SMRPG because they want Geno to be more popular or at the very least known enough so that people don't immediately dismiss him as irrelevant.
I think they would need to be a bit more direct going forward for this method to pay off.
And we can't forget that no DLC suggestions were denied, according to Reggie.

They'd be doing Sakurai a solid :ultsnake:.

Now that Sakurai has the help of Nintendo, he could easily get access to third-party rights because Nintendo is like that friend or sibling that will help you pay for something. To get Geno, well, you actually need Shigeru Miyamoto and Square because Miyamoto is the one that basically has the authority of the Mario characters, hence why I think Geno is a pain in the *** to get since Miyamoto has that weird hatred for Mario RPG characters. There's some info going around that Miyamoto actually created Geno, so yeah, I guess Sakurai has to get the green light from Miyamoto as well. Super Smash Brothers is a Nintendo published series and not a third-party series/game, so I think Miyamoto will play ball as long as Square gets onboard first. First comes Square, then Miyamoto.
Is there anything out there saying that Miyamoto has influence on Mario characters in Smash?

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
I think they would need to be a bit more direct going forward for this method to pay off.

Is there anything out there saying that Miyamoto has influence on Mario characters in Smash?
I'm not sure, but Geno is a Mario character, and maybe Sakurai has to get permission from Miyamoto. I just assumed this because Miyamoto had to give SquareSoft the permission to use Mario characters in Super Mario RPG, and Sakurai isn't part of Nintendo, he's with his own company and collaborating with Bandai Namco.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I'm not sure, but Geno is a Mario character, and maybe Sakurai has to get permission from Miyamoto. I just assumed this because Miyamoto had to give SquareSoft the permission to use Mario characters in Super Mario RPG, and Sakurai isn't part of Nintendo, he's with his own company and collaborating with Bandai Namco.
But Square owns all of the original characters in SMRPG, making them legally under their control, not Miyamoto's.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I don't know where people got the Miyamoto thing from. There's no evidence to him having created Geno. In fact, it's quite the opposite, given Geno is property of Square. Usually the creator of a character gets priority with creative license, so his creator was likely from Square, if not a collaborative effort in-house. Therefore, he isn't Miyamoto's.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
But Square owns all of the original characters in SMRPG, making them legally under their control, not Miyamoto's.
Well, it looks like that guy on YouTube as wrong and I was originally right. Thanks for telling me this. I brought up something in some YouTube comments about Sakurai legally buying Geno from Square and some guy said he can't do that unless he gets Miyamoto's permission, which confused me because Geno is legally owned by Square.
I don't know where people got the Miyamoto thing from. There's no evidence to him having created Geno. In fact, it's quite the opposite, given Geno is property of Square. Usually the creator of a character gets priority with creative license, so his creator was likely from Square, if not a collaborative effort in-house. Therefore, he isn't Miyamoto's.
I looked up "Geno" one time and it said his creator was Shiergu Miyamoto, but hey, I guess we shouldn't believe everything we see.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I'm think about how a Geno reveal trailer would go.
*The scene starts off showing Mario, Luigi, and Peach battling Giga Bowser. But it shows they are about to be defeated. The camera cuts to Rosalina feeling a disturbance. "Mario and his friends are in trouble" She then calls for Geno "Geno, I know it has been a long time. But Mario needs your help once again. Will you come to his aid?". We cut back to the Battle. But up in the sky we see what appears to be a shooting star flying right towards the battlefield. And to Mario, Luigi, and Peach's surprise. It's. Travis Scott here to sing Sicko Mode.iit's Geno standing up from his super hero landing holding a smash invite. "I have been sent by a higher power" *cuts to Super Smash Brothers Ultimate logo*

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

This is a very weird way of thinking and likely means nothing but Didn't Papagenos say that his Microsoft source heard about Geno? I don't think they would hear it from Square cause SMRPG doesn't have anything to do with Microsoft but what if they heard about Geno during discussions for Banjo, Maybe when they were doing DLC Negotiations for Banjo they went over DLC and Geno just so happened to be in there?

it's a stretch and likely means nothing but why would they hear about something as insignificant as a Spirit for a 3rd party Character, what reason would they bring that up? Add in the fact that IIRC Polar's source said that there might be 2 Fan Favorite picks and 3 Nintendo picks in DLC what other characters would they add for Fan Favorites except for Banjo and Geno? which just so happens to align with Papagenos source hearing about both Geno and Banjo.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
A Jonathan Jones Mii costume would be sick...

For years I've been wanting to know this, and I'm sure at least one of you probably knows... Is Jonathan wearing a helmet or is that his actual head? And are his eyes actually inside his mouth or on the top of his head? Either way, it looks menacing. Today I just noticed that he has "eyes" on the top his head/helmet. I don't even know if that's an eyepatch on the top of his head or not, but it probably is from the looks of it. Does anybody have a clue?

D

Deleted member

For years I've been wanting to know this, and I'm sure at least one of you probably knows... Is Jonathan wearing a helmet or is that his actual head? And are his eyes actually inside his mouth or on the top of his head? Either way, it looks menacing. Today I just noticed that he has "eyes" on the top his head/helmet. I don't even know if that's an eyepatch on the top of his head or not, but it probably is from the looks of it. Does anybody have a clue?
I'm pretty sure that is just his head without the helmet lol, and what looks like his eyes inside his mouth is a golden tooth, and his eyes are next to his fin on the top of his head

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom