• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor Lucky

Smash Cadet
Wow, I didn't realize it was referenced that much. That is awfully suspicious. Looks to me like they're trying to gauge people's opinions on SMRPG. I just hope all these little easter eggs isn't Sakurai saying "I'm sorry I couldn't get Geno in, have these instead." I know nobody wants to hear that, but unfortunately it's something we have to keep in mind.
Oh no doubt. I always keep that "...but this may all just be a consolation prize for Geno not being included" idea in mind, but given the current "Everyone is here" K. Rool, Ridley, and Simon in Smash (all highly requested fan favorites) in addition to all the SMRPG after over a decade since the last major mention of Geno (which was also removed later on in the game's remake), it's all very, very suspicious, even taking into consideration that this is merely a 'consolation prize' for Smash. I'd understand them putting a few easter eggs in the game he's unfortunately not in, but with the latest nod of the game in a completely separate game about Yoshi sort puts that idea into major question. Why would they make a SMRPG reference in any other game but Smash Brothers if all these nods and references are supposed to be consolation prizes for Geno's absence from Smash?

It's worth mentioning that Square has gone on record in saying that they desire and have plans to bring their older games back into the limelight on the Switch (games including SMRPG), so this idea of a re-release or a remaster isn't completely unfounded. As such, the idea of Geno being included in Smash in order to herald a slew of Square RPGs being released on the Switch isn't that far fetched of an idea. Square essentially gets paid to have their products advertised via Geno's DLC sales, they get their games on the Switch in order to be purchased, and depending on how much effort they put in porting the games, it wouldn't cost them much to do so.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
What still bugs me is that Erdrick would could have been revealed just fine last direct with all the DQ buzz. This just makes me believe that Erdrick ain't on the fighter pass. If Isabelle was announced during a regular direct while tying into a game, I don't see why Erdrick would get some super special unveiling at E3. But that's just my opinion. Just doesn't seem as likely to me as a lot of people hype him up to be.
I agree with you, but they might have not wanted to reveal Erdrick so early seeing as Joker is barely model-ready. Having that Joker showing and pairing it up with an animated trailer for another character would have been embarrassing.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
The constant Nintendo references to SMRPG is super suspicious. But don't hold it with a lot of weight. If they were just hyping us up for Geno's smash reveal then that means we are getting both Geno and Erdrick because they are trying to hype up Dragon Quest as well.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Mmm....Geno is NOT E3 worthy imo. Why? Because E3 is for big reveals, and Geno is not a big reveal. Sure, we are one of the last standing support groups that have been around for so long, but he's a character from 23 years ago and hasn't been in anything since then. He's from a game that, while has gained some fans recently, is still from the SNES era and that doesn't click with most modern gamers as they are younger.

While Banjo falls into a similar category, we've also had a stream of older 3D platforming games and other older titles being completely remade (Crash, Spyro, Medievil got announced as well as Crash Team Racing, Battletoads) and his announcement of either a new game, remake, in Smash or a combination of any of these would be perfect as a showing of Nintendo and Microsoft getting ever more buddy-buddy.

But maybe I'm wrong and Geno would be a bigger reveal worthy of a main stage.
I think the factors of Geno being a big long-time requested fan favorite coupled with this hypothetically being his return to games after a 20 something year hiatus would be E3 worthy especially if it is presented as a celebration of the prior SE/Nintendo business relationship. The game has always been popular since its release, and even since then has been discovered by tons of new fans over the years through the virtual channel and now with the SNES Classic. I mean there's a reason why Geno consistently places high on polls/ballots despite his only being in one game over 20 years ago. I think Banjo and Geno paired together would be even more E3 worthy as it'd be the return of two long-time fan requested characters.

The constant Nintendo references to SMRPG is super suspicious. But don't hold it with a lot of weight. If they were just hyping us up for Geno's smash reveal then that means we are getting both Geno and Erdrick because they are trying to hype up Dragon Quest as well.
I mean I hold it with about as much weight as the DQ stuff at this point.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I can imagine King K. Rool singing and dancing after winning elections.

"It's great to be a politician!"
"I seem to have a thirst"
"For gaining everything I won"
"And giving all this slack!"

"I'll take away your money!"
"I'll take away your homes!"
"Have a nice vacation"
"While I take your tax plans!"

"Now that I have the power"
"This is my finest term"

"NOTHING IN THIS COUNTRY CAN STOP ME NOW!"
There was a episode of the DKC cartoon in where Cranky isn't too satisfied with DK as the ruler in the episode, so he sets up a election to see who can gain the peoples trust.

K. Rool enters the election and Cranky allows it only because it's a election. K. Rool starts acting like a really nice guy when he starts campaigning and promises to deliver all these great changes to Kongo Bongo if he is elected their leader.

Later on there is a political debate between DK, K. Rool, and Bluster and DK says bad stuff about K. Rool and everybody get's mad at DK because of it. DK than steals the Crystal Coconut and brings it to K. Rool's lair and than cames back to frame K. Rool. Everybody believes DK stole it and K. Rool brings it back and everybody cheers him for it.

At the end of course it turns out that K. Rool is a two-face lier that was trying to winner over everybody and loses the election by one vote which, came from Krusha who voted for DK. K. Rool than tries to steal the Crystal Coconut again as usually since he lost and DK kicks his *** pretty much.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Well, the thing about references in Smash is that it's... not just exclusive to Smash. We also did get the Super Mario Kun segment and, while that is Japanese-only, it is the first time Geno and Mallow were seen in a main role since SMRPG's release.

It's really making me wonder.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
>Both Geno and Mother 3 come this year

Wouldn't that be the plotwist of the decade or what?
And the return of Banjo & Kazooie as well. ;)

Mmm....Geno is NOT E3 worthy imo. Why? Because E3 is for big reveals, and Geno is not a big reveal.
Did you forget that Palutena was revealed at E3 back in 2014? She isn't really a big important/iconic/popular Nintendo or gaming character that would blow the roof off. I would consider Geno to be a bigger show stopper for a E3 reveal than she would to be honest.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I'd say Geno is a little more E3-worthy than some other characters revealed there. After all, we've gotten Palutena and Wii Fit Trainer revealed for E3, so I don't see how Geno would be some kind of odd inclusion there. Would it be better of Nintendo to reveal a character more widely-known? Yeah, I think we can all agree with that. Does that mean they think that way? Not necessarily.

Imagine an E3 direct with Geno and Banjo being revealed back-to-back. I... I think I'd pass out.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Imagine an E3 direct with Geno and Banjo being revealed back-to-back. I... I think I'd pass out.
I would too. K. Rool's reveal almost gave me a heart attack. I don't know if my heart could handle both Geno and Banjo & Kazooie reveals together in less than a hour or 30 minutes. I think the hype would probably stop my heart.

Last edited:

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
So something random a friend of mine noticed a while ago and I'm not sure if anyone here has brought it up here yet so why not post it.

Hmm.png

So turns out PP's Fighter Spirit was Mario Maker 2 artwork this whole time. I guess in a way it was the world's most subtle hint huh?

Which makes me think... Atlus is having a big Persona announcement in March where they possibly would reveal Persona 5r which would most likely contain new artwork of Joker.

Anyone else think that some of these DLC characters are tied to new games or game reveals? Sakurai is obviously able to get the pngs before release. Just some food for thought.

Edit: Ignore all of this it means nothing turns out.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
So something random a friend of mine noticed a while ago and I'm not sure if anyone here has brought it up here yet so why not post it.

View attachment 192841

So turns out PP's Fighter Spirit was Mario Maker 2 artwork this whole time. I guess in a way it was the world's most subtle hint huh?

Which makes me think... Atlus is having a big Persona announcement in March where they possibly would reveal Persona 5r which would most likely contain new artwork of Joker.

Anyone else think that some of these DLC characters are tied to new games or game reveals? Sakurai is obviously able to get the pngs before release. Just some food for thought.
That's very interesting. Are we sure we haven't seen this exact render before and that it isn't reused? It's one of those things that could be reused from a past asset without it being noticeable. It could have also been an asset made that was lying around, waiting to be used, and they just gave it to Sakurai before they even used it for Mario Maker 2.

I don't know, but all I do know is... that this is very, very neat, indeed.

D

Deleted member

Mmm....Geno is NOT E3 worthy imo. Why? Because E3 is for big reveals, and Geno is not a big reveal. Sure, we are one of the last standing support groups that have been around for so long, but he's a character from 23 years ago and hasn't been in anything since then. He's from a game that, while has gained some fans recently, is still from the SNES era and that doesn't click with most modern gamers as they are younger.

While Banjo falls into a similar category, we've also had a stream of older 3D platforming games and other older titles being completely remade (Crash, Spyro, Medievil got announced as well as Crash Team Racing, Battletoads) and his announcement of either a new game, remake, in Smash or a combination of any of these would be perfect as a showing of Nintendo and Microsoft getting ever more buddy-buddy.

But maybe I'm wrong and Geno would be a bigger reveal worthy of a main stage.
Tell that to Pit, Wii Fit Trainer, and Roy

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

View attachment 192841

What if there is a SMRPG 2 in the works and Geno is DLC for Smash and his spirit is his render from the new game. :)

Last edited:

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
That's very interesting. Are we sure we haven't seen this exact render before and that it isn't reused? It's one of those things that could be reused from a past asset without it being noticeable. It could have also been an asset made that was lying around, waiting to be used, and they just gave it to Sakurai before they even used it for Mario Maker 2.

I don't know, but all I do know is... that this is very, very neat, indeed.
I don't recall ever seeing it before, and I don't think any of my discord friends do either considering my friend that posted this has played just about every modern Mario game in existance. Either way, it's pretty interesting.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I don't recall ever seeing it before, and I don't think any of my discord friends do either considering my friend that posted this has played just about every modern Mario game in existance. Either way, it's pretty interesting.
That is super neat. This is really making me think the DLC characters were decided far earlier. While PP was base game initially, it seems, it uses assets from SMM2, a game that was likely in development around the same time as Ultimate. Rex was too late for base game and, via the Mii costume, is implied to have been too late for DLC, as well. DQ11 was likely in development around that same time, wasn't it? I don't know the exact release of it, but it does lend even more credence to Erdrick. Persona 5 being a part of DLC also means this makes complete sense.

That said, this is the subtlest hint ever. It changes the landscape a bit. Even the most tinfoil-hat theories with hints aren't out of the question now, even if ridiculously unlikely. This sheds new light on all of the SMRPG references and affection lately, even down to the super stretchy idea of Geno's profile picture being stuck on Shulk, a character that can see into the future. Again, I emphasize that massive stretches like this are still super unlikely, and I wouldn't take them too seriously right now. As of now, using that as any sort of definitive thing or even a likely thing would be grasping at straws. Even so, this means it's something we can't 100% discount, maybe more like 95%. After all, we have perceived 'hints' that have fallen flat. This, however, was a massive stretch, the idea of PP subtly promoting a future Mario game (as opposed to the series as a whole)... and look what's happened.

When you take this into account with the large amount of stuff pointing at Geno, though, if not just SMRPG returning in some form as a whole... it does change the perspective a bit. It really makes it so that, even though Erdrick is probably coming (I'm 50/50 on him, maybe more 60/40), we can't entirely discard Geno as a possibility in some form, if not SMRPG having something in the pipeline.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

View attachment 192841

That's reused Piranha Plant art from Mario Party

Last edited by a moderator:

Lime3037

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1521 3002 4745
It's from Mario Party DS. They reuse a lot of Mario artwork for games. There are a lot of spinoff games that use the artwork of Mario and Luigi with their arms crossed, for example.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Well, it feels a little bit awkward for me right now, but i can feel a lot more calm around too.

I was thinking about the time when in the shantae thread we were going pretty strong and then a lot of people kept saying that if an indie character would make it in it's shovel knight, and that's something we had to see around so much, and it was annoying for those of us that didn't like SK. It maybe felt like she was an underdog, and in the same way it kind of feels bit like that for geno now maybe. But im not sure it's actually 'true', because besides popular chatter, geno has had a lot of influence on sakurai, and all that.

I just feel like Geno could work out so easily if they made it part of getting a deal with SE,. If not by itself then along with another. I know a lot of people think that there might not be a second season of dlc characters, but I think nintendo is just being prudent and wants to see how many sales they get before finalizing a second wave. Maybe they even wanted to wait till the 4th character is on sale to see how the sales are near the end of it, just to make sure it's a good move to pour resources into a second stretch. I'm not totally confident on it, but it just makes sense to me.

So I think that there still is a lot of chance for geno to show up one way or another. I really dont know where I would put the chances, but I really think it's far from over. I also think there's such a big amount of supporters that there's a lot of potential for support itself down the line. Just some thoughts i wanted to share.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Well, it feels a little bit awkward for me right now, but i can feel a lot more calm around too.

I was thinking about the time when in the shantae thread we were going pretty strong and then a lot of people kept saying that if indie character would make it in it's shovel knight, and that's something we had to see around so much, and it was annoying for those of us that didn't like SK. It maybe felt like she was an underdog, and in the same way it kind of feels bit like that for geno now maybe. But im not sure it's actually 'true', because besides popular chatter, geno has had a lot of influence on sakurai, and all that.

I just feel like Geno could work out so easily if they made it part of getting a deal with SE. I know a lot of people think that there might not be a second season of dlc characters, but I think nintendo is just being prudent and wants to see how many sales they get before finalizing a second wave. Maybe they even wanted wait till the 4th character is on sale to see how the sales are near the end of it, just to make sure it's a good move to pour resources into a second stretch. I'm not totally confident on it, but it just makes sense to me.

So I think that there still is a lot of chance for geno to show up one way or another. I really dont know where I would put the chances, but I really think it's far from over. I also think there's such a big amount of supporters that there's a lot of potential for support itself down the line. Just some thoughts i wanted to share.
I forgot to mention it back when you initially apologized, but thanks for letting us know where you were coming from. I'm a pretty temperamental person and I have insanely intense emotions, so I know how it can be to just... have to blow up. I've even done it before in this thread. It's a matter of how we need to handle it in the end, and whoever around us it might effect. The fact that you were conscious of it is a great thing, and it's always admirable to have that kind of humility. Thank you for being a good sport.

As for season 2, a lot of other fighting games haven't had second seasons announced until the first was over or about to be over, so it comes as no surprise to me that we don't know what else we're getting. It's a matter of waiting and seeing. That being said, I also don't think Erdrick is that much of competition for him outside of the Fighter's Pass itself, and I think misc. DLC or more seasons is still a big possibility.

I'm still rooting for Erdrick at this point, not because I want him particularly, but because I know he'd make a lot of people happy. It hurts as a Geno fan and all, but hey, what can ya do? Hopefully at some point in the DLC cycle, Geno will also have his chance, and considering a multitude of factors, Erdrick being in doesn't mean Geno won't be. Let's just keep hoping and support each other!

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Dumb question but this is something that's bugged me for a while. Brave is size 13 right? Anyone have a complete list of characters that are that size or nah?

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman
Well, the thing about references in Smash is that it's... not just exclusive to Smash. We also did get the Super Mario Kun segment and, while that is Japanese-only, it is the first time Geno and Mallow were seen in a main role since SMRPG's release.

It's really making me wonder.
What happened in Super Mario-kun?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I forgot to mention it back when you initially apologized, but thanks for letting us know where you were coming from. I'm a pretty temperamental person and I have insanely intense emotions, so I know how it can be to just... have to blow up. I've even done it before in this thread. It's a matter of how we need to handle it in the end, and whoever around us it might effect. The fact that you were conscious of it is a great thing, and it's always admirable to have that kind of humility. Thank you for being a good sport.

As for season 2, a lot of other fighting games haven't had second seasons announced until the first was over or about to be over, so it comes as no surprise to me that we don't know what else we're getting. It's a matter of waiting and seeing. That being said, I also don't think Erdrick is that much of competition for him outside of the Fighter's Pass itself, and I think misc. DLC or more seasons is still a big possibility.

I'm still rooting for Erdrick at this point, not because I want him particularly, but because I know he'd make a lot of people happy. It hurts as a Geno fan and all, but hey, what can ya do? Hopefully at some point in the DLC cycle, Geno will also have his chance, and considering a multitude of factors, Erdrick being in doesn't mean Geno won't be. Let's just keep hoping and support each other!
That's nice of you to say. And I basically agree with all of that. I think there'd be a lot more people in japan happy than overseas, but it's interesting that the last direct actually did have influence too, I heard a friend say he's interested in DQ11 after the direct, and he's never played one before. He's also played smrpg just because of people talking about it and he liked it. So we can't underestimate support and spreading stuff we like. It'd be nice if nintendo or SE could see the worth in making smrpg 2 too :p

Dumb question but this is something that's bugged me for a while. Brave is size 13 right? Anyone have a complete list of characters that are that size or nah?
I wanted a list too but it seems a bit hard to come by. 13 is around Ness and Lucas height tho.
It's too bad they removed the stats in the last patch because i wanted to see if they'd make any changes, but in a way im also glad that they're learning something when it comes to data.

just wanted to drop by a little. i'll be around once in a while maybe.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
What happened in Super Mario-kun?
I believe it was in 2016 (funnily, when Ultiamte was being developed + after the Smash ballot), but long story short, Super Mario-kun finally got a Super Mario RPG segment published. It never happened before then, but all of a sudden, here it is.

I wish I could find scans of the whole thing. I know in one part, Geno's captured whilst in Peach's dress + a wig, and in another, Geno rides a Yoshi into the moon. It's incredible.

D

Deleted member

Okay now I'm a bit more confused because I thought Toon Link was size 12 and he's listed right after Ness...
Well, the video counts things above the head, like hats and Isabelle's bun for instance, rather than measuring the characters' actual height.

As for actual height, without his hat, Toon Link is shorter than Ness, and size 12 like you said.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Morbid question, but has anyone else ever thought about the fact that if Nintendo stopped being on good terms with any of the 3rd parties involved with Smash, their characters would probably be removed?

D

Deleted member

Morbid question, but has anyone else ever thought about the fact that if Nintendo stopped being on good terms with any of the 3rd parties involved with Smash, their characters would probably be removed?
Well, it would definitely be a lot harder to negotiate since they wouldn't have as good as a relationship anymore (for future Smash games tho. It can't happen in the same game after a character is already confirmed).

Teeb147

Smash Legend
There's contracts, and usually that would guarantee a character for at least when they're already in, so at most what might happen is one not showing up for a next smash game. Depends on the cases tho..

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Okay now I'm a bit more confused because I thought Toon Link was size 12 and he's listed right after Ness...
Wasn't the sizing confirmed to be a placeholder? I remember Joker being Size 13 or something as well and uh, he's not as short as Toon Link.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Wasn't the sizing confirmed to be a placeholder? I remember Joker being Size 13 or something as well and uh, he's not as short as Toon Link.
Yeah, the height values we have right now don't mean anything. Brave has some stats that aren't placeholders, but some, like his aerial frame data and height, are placeholders shared with Joker.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
I don't think he was 13, I remember hearing something about him being Young Link's height instead but even then I haven't really seen any proof of that either. It's hard to know anything for sure with all the misinfo everywhere.

The whole thing's a mess and I'm very confused.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Brave is Ness Sized. Joker is Luigi Sized. Nothing else buds
Wait, that one Nintendo NY tweet about Luigi being brave...

Joker is Luigi-sized...

Guys, we're all being baited. Every single one of us is.

All of the DLC was Luigi all along.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Wait, that one Nintendo NY tweet about Luigi being brave...

Joker is Luigi-sized...

Guys, we're all being baited. Every single one of us is.

All of the DLC was Luigi all along.
Nah lass it just means King Boo is coming, you've had servings of his gullible soup! :4pacman:

Also, we still don't know when Luigi's Mansion 3 is coming this year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom