• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
My whole thing is that, if it's Erdrick, it's the kid version with full body armor based on the weight and size but then why would he have good aerial movement, be significantly faster than Samus, Corrin, and Megaman who are also in full armor, and have a slide almost as bad as Luigi? Why would a kid in full body armor be this mobile? He's also the third fastest "kid" in the game after Inkling and Toon Link which makes it even weirder. The reasoning that Nintendo always gave for Link's speed is all his equipment but Erdrick has a sword, shield, and full armor including a helmet. I'm still in the boat that we're getting bamboozled somehow.
Roy/Chrom are both very fast characters, good air speed and equally have lower air acceleration with the new character. Fast fallers too, unlike mario & such. It can easily be a sword character, just like any sort of character. I get that it's a geno thread so people want to believe it's geno, and that'd be cool, but really it can be anyone. Enjoy hoping for geno if you want.
At this point I'm more curious than anything. I wouldn't mind a dq character, but I'd much rather have a girl with another weapon than a sword, but I know swords are iconic again for dq. We can hope for something interesting .. and we'll see :)

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I know nobody is talking about it, but these stats feel like they would compliment Sora very well.

MattX20

Smash Hero
My whole thing is that, if it's Erdrick, it's the kid version with full body armor based on the weight and size but then why would he have good aerial movement, be significantly faster than Samus, Corrin, and Megaman who are also in full armor, and have a slide almost as bad as Luigi? Why would a kid in full body armor be this mobile? He's also the third fastest "kid" in the game after Inkling and Toon Link which makes it even weirder. The reasoning that Nintendo always gave for Link's speed is all his equipment but Erdrick has a sword, shield, and full armor including a helmet. I'm still in the boat that we're getting bamboozled somehow.
Not to mention that most of the insiders and their grandmothers are swearing it's the adult Erdrick as well, and DQ by and large is not known for chibis. There is definitely something up about all this.

FLGibsonIII

Smash Journeyman
Not to mention that most of the insiders and their grandmothers are swearing it's the adult Erdrick as well, and DQ by and large is not known for chibis. There is definitely something up about all this.
I never heard the leakers swearing they are adult sized. If that is the case, there is definitely a hole here.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
...Aaaand now there's panicking in the Square thread, assuming that we're denying Erdrick (or whomever else from SE I suppose) is coming, because I've been quoted by them just now.

How the hell is this similar to the box theory? :facepalm:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

...Aaaand now there's panicking in the Square thread, assuming that we're denying Erdrick (or whomever else from SE I suppose) is coming, because I've been quoted by them just now.

I know. I've been quoted by them too

FLGibsonIII

Smash Journeyman

I think it is time to got to war with the square thread.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Alright; so supposing Eddy's coming, allegedly in adult form but why, pray tell, would he fight like a zoner, slide around, have oddly good recovery for a swordsman (without wings) and not fight like any other swordsman period?

5b2.gif

There's taking creative liberties with a character that hasn't been in a platformer fighter before, and then there's just blatantly ignoring logic for no reason.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
But that's what people are saying. Pacchu is super vague without context, same with Jack. "Yuusha" is the complete opposite. We know Nintendo and Square Enix know about the leaks because people were supposedly getting fired as far back as September for it so why would the codename still be made to be something super obvious, especially when no one has a clue when this character is actually coming out?
But the codename is not Yuusha, it’s Brave. It’s a really good codename, because it only makes sense with the leaks as the codebreaker. Keep in mind people getting fired in September is just a rumor, plus Erdrick being specifically mentioned by leakers is a recent phenomenon.

If the codename were Yuusha or even Hero, I agree it would be too obvious and thus likely leakbait (or another stupid mistake by Nintendo). As is? I can believe it’s real.

Alright; so supposing Eddy's coming, allegedly in adult form but why, pray tell, would he fight like a zoner, slide around, have oddly good recovery for a swordsman (without wings) and not fight like any other swordsman period?

View attachment 186700

There's taking creative liberties with a character that hasn't been in a platformer fighter before, and then there's just blatantly ignoring logic for no reason.
If you’re going to make a swordsman might as well make it a unique one.

I swear people complain about all swordfighters being the same but when the possibility of a radically different one arises it’s suddenly impossible?

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
But the codename is not Yuusha, it’s Brave. It’s a really good codename, because it only makes sense with the leaks as the codebreaker. Keep in mind people getting fired in September is just a rumor, plus Erdrick being specifically mentioned by leakers is a recent phenomenon.

If the codename were Yuusha or even Hero, I agree it would be too obvious and thus likely leakbait (or another stupid mistake by Nintendo). As is? I can believe it’s real.

If you’re going to make a swordsman might as well make it a unique one.

I swear people complain about all swordfighters being the same but when the possibility of a radically different one arises it’s suddenly impossible?
I'm just saying, the stats don't seem to add up with what separate groups of people are saying. Some say he's coming as the adult, yet the stats suggest that it's actually his kid form. I have no idea who is right or wrong about this.

FLGibsonIII

Smash Journeyman
What do you guys think about the opinion that the first letter of the code word is the first letter of the real fighter? Seems like a stretch to me, but I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case either.

Lime3037

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1521 3002 4745
As always, the next Direct can't come soon enough. Assuming this new character is even revealed then.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Roy/Chrom are both very fast characters, good air speed and equally have lower air acceleration with the new character. Fast fallers too, unlike mario & such. It can easily be a sword character, just like any sort of character. I get that it's a geno thread so people want to believe it's geno, and that'd be cool, but really it can be anyone. Enjoy hoping for geno if you want.
At this point I'm more curious than anything. I wouldn't mind a dq character, but I'd much rather have a girl with another weapon than a sword, but I know swords are iconic again for dq. We can hope for something interesting .. and we'll see :)
Roy and Chrom are also 22 characters faster than Brave though and 12 characters lighter and I went into this explanation a few pages back. Jump height, Roy is 30.97 while is Brave 32.5, giving him a jump similar to Cloud and Villager, once again a difference of about a dozen characters. Overall Roy and Chrom have some of the worst jumps in the game. Roy and Chrom are fast and hit hard but are relatively light and have crap recoveries to balance them out, at least on paper. Brave would not play this way with these stats. Overall, his stats are most similar to Mii Swordsman when it comes to characters that primarily use a sword to attack. My argument wasn't ever that it was Geno, my argument is that, given the stats it's definitely not adult Erdrick like leakers have said it is and it's becoming more doubtful that it's kid Erdrick too.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
I have a brief moment on the computer, so I'm going to say my piece on the codename and stats.

I still think it's Erdrick. I think insiders are wrong about it being adult Erdrick, though, as these stats fit kid Erdrick better. That being said, I could see these stats related to Geno instead, and I can even see the codename. However, the codename is a stretch, but it's understandable once you know about it.

Geno is based off of Pinocchio, as stated in Nintendo Power by Square themselves. What does Pinocchio represent? He represents his desire to become a real boy through, and I quote verbatim, "being brave, truthful, and unselfish." Note that first word. Of those qualities, we definitely see Geno's bravery before anything else, and when you think of his relation to Pinocchio...

It makes more sense for Square, especially, to find that a good, yet terribly vague codename. Anything else would be a dead giveaway. This would make more sense internally while also keeping the public stumped. It's a pretty simple, yet effective solution.

That being said, I highly doubt this is Geno. For people getting their hopes up, I recommend keeping them tempered massively. I'm still 99% on it being Erdrick myself. It would be a nice, pleasant surprise for it to be Geno, but I don't see it that way.
Crazy thing is that that's exactly what I was thinking but I don't think I ever said it.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
All this stat analysis has got me cautiously optimistic

full speed ahead

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Roy and Chrom are also 22 characters faster than Brave though and 12 characters lighter and I went into this explanation a few pages back. Jump height, Roy is 30.97 while is Brave 32.5, giving him a jump similar to Cloud and Villager, once again a difference of about a dozen characters. Overall Roy and Chrom have some of the worst jumps in the game. Roy and Chrom are fast and hit hard but are relatively light and have crap recoveries to balance them out, at least on paper. Brave would not play this way with these stats. Overall, his stats are most similar to Mii Swordsman when it comes to characters that primarily use a sword to attack. My argument wasn't ever that it was Geno, my argument is that, given the stats it's definitely not adult Erdrick like leakers have said it is and it's becoming more doubtful that it's kid Erdrick too.
Well that's some good info, I dont think it's a given that it would have to be a sword character or a zoner though. Maybe Erdrick was part of recent leaks and that's why the focus was there, but to me it's all open. Where did you find the character height? I didn't see it. Too bad someone didn't compile all of the data in one page (or did someone do it?)

But also, there's sword characters with all kinds of different data, and cloud is pretty heavy, etc. So I think it could easily fit a different kind of sword character too if they wanted to. And as for traction, we only have a few examples, and luigi doesnt really have a good reason to have it anyway :p
Anyway, it's cool to think about. The height really does something if it's like youre saying, cuz it wouldnt be a tall regular human or whatever.

Last edited:

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
Well that's some good info, I dont think it's a given that it would have to be a sword character or a zoner though. Maybe Erdrick was part of recent leaks and that's why the focus was there, but to me it's all open. Where did you find the character height? I didn't see it. Too bad someone didn't compile all of the data in one page (or did someone do it?)

But also, there's sword characters with all kinds of different data, and cloud is pretty heavy, etc. So I think it could easily fit a different kind of sword character too if they wanted to. And as for traction, we only have a few examples, and luigi doesnt really have a good reason to have it anyway :p
Anyway, it's cool to think about. The height really does something if it's like youre saying, cuz it wouldnt be a tall regular human or whatever.
The thing about Luigi having a slide is because that’s a thing he has in a lot of Mario games, like Super Mario Galaxy and the New Super Mario Bros series. Luigi canonically has soap shoes.

Last edited:

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
His chances are pretty bad. He appeared in 1 game. A reference in super star saga, Got removed in the remake and a spirit.
If he's a spirit and he joins, What's the point of the spirit battle.
I’d expect nothing less from someone named “sanicdude”

Teeb147

Smash Legend
The thing about Luigi having a slide is because that’s a thing he has in a lot of Mario games, like Super Mario Galaxy and the New Super Mario Bros series. Luigi canonically has soap shoes.
The thing is he's been slippery since melee (wavedashing with luigi is funny), i dont know if he was that way on 64.
Anyway, I dont see what kind of new character would need to be slippery. Must be an odd character. :p

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
The thing is he's been slippery since melee (wavedashing with luigi is funny), i dont know if he was that way on 64.
Anyway, I dont see what kind of new character would need to be slippery. Must be an odd character. :p
Luigi's always been slippery. It's his main difference from Mario; superior jumping, inferior traction.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Yes, he did have the worst traction in Smash 64. Luigi's slipperiness is canon and it came from Super Mario Bros 2 (both the US and Japanese versions). That makes sense. Traction is a whole lot different in Smash Ulimate though but I do know that Luigi still has his slide. I don't think anyone has ranked sliding distance yet though because that would definitely be helpful here.

https://www.ssbwiki.com/traction

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yes, he did have the worst traction in Smash 64. Luigi's slipperiness is canon and it came from Super Mario Bros 2 (both the US and Japanese versions). That makes sense. Traction is a whole lot different in Smash Ulimate though but I do know that Luigi still has his slide. I don't think anyone has ranked sliding distance yet though because that would definitely be helpful here.

https://www.ssbwiki.com/traction
Makes sense. That's odd, there's tons of characters more slippery than him now.

Oh, cool! Thanks for making that
Yeah, I mean it really doesnt even have to be a SE character. But I like that those ideas are out here too tho, like for DQ and Geno.

D

Deleted member

So:
We beat the Brawl thread
We passed 600 pages
We are the 3rd largest character support thread
We have passed 25,000 posts
We have passed 1,000,000 thread views

We are doing awesome!

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Okay what is with random people coming in and being super patronizing just because some of us said Brave might be Geno? Like really it’s just a guess same as anyone else’s and is going off of the data available. Is it now sacrilege to say Brave might not be Erdrick or something? People used to admonish us all the time for being an echochamber regarding Geno but tbh lately it feels like you can’t say anything resembling the notion that the SE character might not be Erdrick without people throwing a fit and listing off 3 paragraphs of reasons why it totally is Erdrick and you’re a deluded fool. Literally no one but SE knows for sure who this character is. Brave could be Erdrick as a very unconventional small swordsman whose data is significantly different than all other swordsmen in the game or it could just not be Erdrick. And if it’s not Erdrick there’s the possibility that it might be Geno. I don’t think that last idea is so taboo that people need to come into the thread and “Um no sweety...” us about it.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
So:
We beat the Brawl thread
We passed 600 pages
We are the 3rd largest character support thread
We have passed 25,000 posts
We have passed 1,000,000 thread views

We are doing awesome!
It's more views than the shantae thread. And I bet you'll catch up with posts too at this rate :p
Okay what is with random people coming in and being super patronizing just because some of us said Brave might be Geno? Like really it’s just a guess same as anyone else’s and is going off of the data available. Is it now sacrilege to say Brave might not be Erdrick or something? People used to admonish us all the time for being an echochamber regarding Geno but tbh lately it feels like you can’t say anything resembling the notion that the SE character might not be Erdrick without people throwing a fit and listing off 3 paragraphs of reasons why it totally is Erdrick and you’re a deluded fool. Literally no one but SE knows for sure who this character is. Brave could be Erdrick as a very unconventional small swordsman whose data is significantly different than all other swordsmen in the game or it could just not be Erdrick. And if it’s not Erdrick there’s the possibility that it might be Geno. I don’t think that last idea is so taboo that people need to come into the thread and “Um no sweety...” us about it.
It's all speculation. I think all guesses can be cool. As long as people make it clearer that they're guesses, I think it's easy to talk about instead of arguing or whatever. That's just me tho.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I honestly don't even think Geno is the top contender for an alternate Brave character, but I certainly don't feel like its Erdrick.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
What if Brave isn't the SE char?
It really could be something entirely different. Leak speculation is the only reason the focus has been on SE, I think.

It's actually looking like it isn't. It could be Geno (and I hope it is) but imo Sans is the frontrunner for the brave character
Sans? Why? Or are you joking.. ;p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom