• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I don’t mean to steer us off topic more than we might have already, but this has been on my mind for a while now.
(Also, I apoligize if this has already been brought up, or if I’ve already asked this. My memory is fuzzy.)

Geno’s fanbase is a pretty big one, and is filled with wonderful people like all of you guys. However, there’s a pretty large hatebase (is that a word?) against him as well. Geno is appearently a dumb wooden doll, irrelevant, he’s only appeared in a spin off title, and he’s overrated. Not to mention the fans are being accused of pushing Geno onto the developers and sending death threats (which I hope isn’t true but you never know.)

I dunno, maybe I’m blowing this out of proprtion. But it’s become like the cool thing now to hate Geno, and despise him and his fans. People will just absolutely **** on me sometimes if I even so much as utter his name when we talk about newcomers we want, so I wanted to know your guys’s opinion on this.
The same thing happens when any fanbase gets big. Look at how many people claimed that Ridley was too big, or K. Rool was too irrelevant, to be included in Smash.

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
The same thing happens when any fanbase gets big. Look at how many people claimed that Ridley was too big, or K. Rool was too irrelevant, to be included in Smash.
Oh yeah, I forgot how many people were against these two being in the game. As soon as they were added into Smash Ultimate, I didn’t hear anything negative about them being newcomers (well, besides people asking for K Rool nerfs).

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
I honestly don't expect BWD as DLC for a number of reasons:

-He was an enhanced spirit in Ultimate which means they basically see him like a Pokemon evolution, not the strawman "hat Goomba" argument but honestly sort of insinuating it.

-Good ol' Sakurai bias. Kirby Super Star and Kirby's Air Ride were once again the Kirby games that got the most new content in Smash Ultimate, made even more notable when you realize Masked Dedede and Galacta Knight debuted in Kirby Superstar Ultra. Sakurai barely acknowledges Kirby games that he wasn't personally involved in and BWD wasn't important until Return to Dreamland.

-Nintendo's treatment of Dixie and especially Toad over the years in Smash. Toad has appeared in more games than even Luigi, Peach, and Bowser and has been the star of several games but still can't reach the echleon of Smash fighters.

The character offers a unique moveset right out of the box and definitely has a notable prescence in modern Kirby but, again, how does this set him aside from Toad and Dixie? Toad's the biggie because he has 30+ years of history and 100+ game appearances including multiple starring roles. He's like the penultimate side character but regularly rejected. I honestly don't see BWD getting in before Toad, especially if Toad's Captain Toad persona sticks.

There's other doubts that I have too, like music and a stage. BWD doesn't have a stage in canon that's specifically credited to him and Sakurai's stage selections have all come from Kirby's Dreamland and Super Star. Music is all but the same. BWD doesn't have any specific themes attributed to him and, once again, all the new remixes in this game were from Kirby's Dreamland, Superstar, and Air Ride. If they weren't able to justify a specific stage for K. Rool or even Bowser, I seriously doubt they'd do it for BWD.

All in all, not a bad character and I understand the appeal but I feel like the best case scenario is that he's considered for the base roster for the next game.
Ugh as much as I hate to admit it, you’re probably right... At first I thought he was a likely pick, but when I heard that he was one of those evolution spirits, I knew he was most likely done for... Damn shame... Maybe one day both of the Bandana Alliance characters will truly be announced for Smash. Just looks like it won’t be anytime next year... Godspeed my Bandana brothers.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I don’t mean to steer us off topic more than we might have already, but this has been on my mind for a while now.
(Also, I apoligize if this has already been brought up, or if I’ve already asked this. My memory is fuzzy.)

Geno’s fanbase is a pretty big one, and is filled with wonderful people like all of you guys. However, there’s a pretty large hatebase (is that a word?) against him as well. Geno is appearently a dumb wooden doll, irrelevant, he’s only appeared in a spin off title, and he’s overrated. Not to mention the fans are being accused of pushing Geno onto the developers and sending death threats (which I hope isn’t true but you never know.)

I dunno, maybe I’m blowing this out of proprtion. But it’s become like the cool thing now to hate Geno, and despise him and his fans. People will just absolutely **** on me sometimes if I even so much as utter his name when we talk about newcomers we want, so I wanted to know your guys’s opinion on this.
Nah you’re not wrong. A few pages back we discussed this extensively but it’s fair to say that all of us here have seen or experienced toxicity because of our desire/other people’s desire to have Geno in Smash. I think a lot of it is coming from people who want certain other secondary characters for Smash and see Geno as stealing that spot if he were to get in and people who have never played SMRPG. It’s pretty obvious if you have little more than a back and forth conversation with these people.

I mean I made a post response to the NoA twitter account saying “Geno for Smash” and for as many likes as it got there were several people who went out of their way to say I was delusional for thinking he’d ever be in Smash, that he’s not popular, that he’s popular because of mob mentality, that he’s popular because of nostalgia (I thought that one was funny with respect to a discussion about Smash character picks), and that he can’t get in because he’s a spirit. And often times it doesn’t matter if you bring up all the pros for Geno’s inclusion or evidence of his popularity from Sakurai himself people don’t really budge. It’s impossible for them to process that this character from a game they’ve never played could be popular or likable or that he’s more popular/likable than X character.

Last edited:

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Nah you’re not wrong. A few pages back we discussed this extensively but it’s fair to say that all of us here have seen or experienced toxicity because of our desire/other people’s desire to have Geno in Smash. I think a lot of it is coming from people who want certain other secondary characters for Smash and see Geno as stealing that spot if he were to get in and people who have never played SMRPG. It’s pretty obvious if you have little more than a back and forth conversation with these people.

I mean I made a post response to the NoA twitter account saying “Geno for Smash” and for as many likes as it got there were several people who went out of their way to say I was delusional for thinking he’d ever be in Smash, that he’s not popular, that he’s popular because of mob mentality, that he’s popular because of nostalgia (I thought that one was funny with respect to a discussion about Smash character picks), and that he can’t get in because he’s a spirit. And often times it doesn’t matter if you bring up all the pros for Geno’s inclusion or evidence of his popularity from Sakurai himself people don’t really budge. It’s impossible for them to process that this character from a game they’ve never played could be popular or likable or that he’s more popular/likable than X character.
Isn't nostalgia a reason why many kids want Steve? I guess their nostalgia is more important than ours because "relevancy" or something.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Is it really "nostalgia" if it involves something current?
To be fair, a lot of people feel nostalgic for old Minecraft memories, including memories of exploring through the old terrain & cave generation which is usually deemed as "better" by a lot of people who played Minecraft back in 2010 or 2011 (I also see the old terrain as better, however the new terrain isn't really "bad" and is sometimes cool as well, it just feels very samey and generic even when comparing two different worlds; it doesn't help that some terrain formations are tied strictly to certain biomes).

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Not to get too college professor on this but yes because nostalgia simply refers to longing for a time that has since passed. For example, I'm nostalgic about my own wedding and it was only about 2 1/2 months ago. My wife was (still is) beautiful, the food was amazing, everyone had an amazing time, and the only hiccup was I spilled like a dab of champagne on my shirt near the tail end of the reception. My mind gets lost in a fog of joy when I think about it. For other people, it may be a season or a certain combination of friends being together or just one particular day that just hit all the right notes.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
I honestly don't expect BWD as DLC for a number of reasons:

-He was an enhanced spirit in Ultimate which means they basically see him like a Pokemon evolution, not the strawman "hat Goomba" argument but honestly sort of insinuating it.

-Good ol' Sakurai bias. Kirby Super Star and Kirby's Air Ride were once again the Kirby games that got the most new content in Smash Ultimate, made even more notable when you realize Masked Dedede and Galacta Knight debuted in Kirby Superstar Ultra. Sakurai barely acknowledges Kirby games that he wasn't personally involved in and BWD wasn't important until Return to Dreamland.

-Nintendo's treatment of Dixie and especially Toad over the years in Smash. Toad has appeared in more games than even Luigi, Peach, and Bowser and has been the star of several games but still can't reach the echleon of Smash fighters.

The character offers a unique moveset right out of the box and definitely has a notable prescence in modern Kirby but, again, how does this set him aside from Toad and Dixie? Toad's the biggie because he has 30+ years of history and 100+ game appearances including multiple starring roles. He's like the penultimate side character but regularly rejected. I honestly don't see BWD getting in before Toad, especially if Toad's Captain Toad persona sticks.

There's other doubts that I have too, like music and a stage. BWD doesn't have a stage in canon that's specifically credited to him and Sakurai's stage selections have all come from Kirby's Dreamland and Super Star. Music is all but the same. BWD doesn't have any specific themes attributed to him and, once again, all the new remixes in this game were from Kirby's Dreamland, Superstar, and Air Ride. If they weren't able to justify a specific stage for K. Rool or even Bowser, I seriously doubt they'd do it for BWD.

All in all, not a bad character and I understand the appeal but I feel like the best case scenario is that he's considered for the base roster for the next game.
I want to say he sets him self apart in his massive popularity, but all your points are pretty valid. I've lost a lot of confidence in spirits to be honest
As someone who is nostalgic for Minecraft, it has to do with all the memories that are associated with our young childhoods, as it engulfed many of them. Many people have moved on by now, so it's not exactly too current

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I've been reading over a lot of the pages before page 285, when I started posting a lot on the thread, and I love it. There was (and still is) so much support for our boy, there are a lot of valid points for his inclusion, and a lot of things that have drastically changed throughout the time of this thread. I'm just happy to be a part of this thread and a part of the Geno fanbase. You all are awesome

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

These "hatebases" hate characters for the sake of hating characters. It's happened to BWD and Shantae fans already. Sooner or later people will move on from hating Geno and find a different character to take a **** on.

Also, I have never seen any Geno fan give death threats at all.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Minecraft is kind of nostalgic for me despite never playing it. When it first came out, it was huge among my college friends and they'd have massive LAN parties on private servers while we would just chill in someone's living room, getting drunk or baked and with some random obscure anime playing on Netflix in the background. Hoo lad, the culture of that game definitely changed once Microsoft bought it. I remember having to stifle a few laughs when I saw my 10 year old cousin playing it for the first time. It's kind of a shame that they hardcore market it to kids now.

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
Thanks for all the responses guys, definetly made me feel better about supporting Geno. Though its not as if these people would deter me from wanting him in. I like Geno and I’m proud of that dang it!

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Thanks for all the responses guys, definetly made me feel better about supporting Geno. Though its not as if these people would deter me from wanting him in. I like Geno and I’m proud of that dang it!
Never be ashamed of liking the character that you do, because if you find shame in it, then you're letting the naysayers win. Never be ashamed. Let your Geno flag fly and fly it high.

D

Deleted member

Never be ashamed of liking the character that you do, because if you find shame in it, then you're letting the naysayers win. Never be ashamed. Let your Geno flag fly and fly it high.
I second these

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
Someone messaged me this on my tumblr

I hope it's an insider that likes my work so that's why he's sharing with me.

(it most definitely isn't).

Ovaltine

Smash Master

Magical miracle pink man, bring us our star boi.

Send your prayers to Star Road and magical miracle pink man today. Also, Game Boy Luigi, too.

Xigger

Smash Lord

Rumours aside, Geno being the last DLC character would make the most sense. The most recognized characters would be released first, and the least known fighter would be last. Smash 4's DLC was the same way with the veterans, Ryu, Cloud, and ending with Corrin. Who was also the only Nintendo newcomer.

Shado-will

Smash Journeyman
Geno being the last character would actually make the most sense to me. Saving one of the most fan-requested characters for the last DLC spot would be a really good way to finish off the fighter pack.

D

Deleted member

Geno being the last character would actually make the most sense to me. Saving one of the most fan-requested characters for the last DLC spot would be a really good way to finish off the fighter pack.
only thing is that Nintendo seems to reveal most of their "wide appeal, fan favorite" reveals for the beginning. Smash reveals are always top heavy and don't usually end strong (shulk/dhd, bayo, incineroar, etc)

D

Deleted member

I wouldn't mind a whole year of waiting. :')
Neither would I.

I made a post 2 days after Joker was revealed saying "Watch us have to wait a year before Genois revealed at the game awards of 2019." That might actually be the case now....

(I don't care if people say Geno wouldn't make sense for the VGAs btw)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Will you share it if you dig up anything, good or bad?
On the person, sure, if they have a traceable history. Plus, I also have to note that this happens a lot and Polar Panda's source is constantly bombarded with people claiming to be insiders. Polar Panda and his source are smart. They typically don't use the same name on different platforms and keep their posts completely private so you can't look at their post history. Most aren't (which is how I figured out Hitagi used to regularly post hentai, heh heh heh).

metallic shadow

Smash Apprentice
Geno is a one-off side character from a 22 year old game. He is a non-entity in the story of SMRPG past his brief introduction and he has no discernible personality. I'm going to go ****ing ballistic if you bandwagoners meme him into the roster when there is a much more deserving and distinguished Mario character out there.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Neither would I.

I made a post 2 days after Joker was revealed saying "Watch us have to wait a year before Genois revealed at the game awards of 2019." That might actually be the case now....

(I don't care if people say Geno wouldn't make sense for the VGAs btw)
I'd actually expect Banjo-Kazooie, second time's the charm, right? Because I've been trying not to expect B-K whenever Phil Spencer showed up on the VGAs.

Meanwhile I'm sitting over here for my character hopes, as some of them are too ignored to even get noticed enough to be hated. I wouldn't mind seeing people spout out "Captain Syrup got abandoned by her own series long before it got cancelled, she's not worth it!" if it actually got people to notice her.

Hell, the Joker fans got lucky to be getting to skip over that phase entirely.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Geno is a one-off side character from a 22 year old game. He is a non-entity in the story of SMRPG past his brief introduction and he has no discernible personality. I'm going to go ****ing ballistic if you bandwagoners meme him into the roster when there is a much more deserving and distinguished Mario character out there.
I mean, Sonic, Ridley, Cloud, and Bayonetta were pretty much memed into Smash Bros too so I'll honestly take it at this point. Also, this is your first post in 10 1/2 years and I'm kind of surprised you came back just to say this.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Heeeere we go again. Remember, folks, just report them, put them on ignore, and move on. Don't pay them any mind.

That being said:

Also, this is your first post in 10 1/2 years and I'm kind of surprised you came back just to say this.
lmao tbh

RSF-Blue bomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lethlintejection
3DS FC
5069-3977-0380
cant tel if you are trolling or you are making fun of a troll

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
Thanks for sharing

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
>”when there is a much more deserving and distinguished character out there”

Lel is this referring to waluigi? Because if so: moderately large yikes.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I mean, Sonic, Ridley, Cloud, and Bayonetta were pretty much memed into Smash Bros too so I'll honestly take it at this point. Also, this is your first post in 10 1/2 years and I'm kind of surprised you came back just to say this.
That kind of thing happens. I noticed the "Pichu 4 DLC poster" come back occasionally, and he didn't have nice things to say about the game's DLC format (and his posts are barely coherent due to all the swearing). You know what they say, "If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all.". People get bitter like that over some things after a long enough time.

That being said, meme power isn't working on Waluigi, since he's become Sakurai's resident fall guy after retiring Starfy from that role. It's a sacrifice for the great cause of characters needing all the meme power.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
Is it bad that I wasn't fully on board the Geno support train until I saw the sheer negative reactions he invokes in some people?

I mean, I've always liked him well enough after playing Mario RPG, but contrarianism made me give him that closer look where I realized "Oh, he's actually REALLY cool! Arm guns!
". Reveling in the anger that would erupt should he get announced is too good to pass up + we get another cool, fun character in Smash.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
User was warned for this post; image-only spam
D144495F-FB01-4FF0-AAA8-21B86D65861C.png

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
No, not Waluigi. And not Toad or Captain Toad either.
I'm going to assume it's another one-off and this post makes no sense.

Geno at least shows some personality even if he's mostly silent (from what I've read), and if people are bandwagoning it's probably because they like the character.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom