• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
I went to look at that guys post history and found a thread speculating the brawl characters, and...
image.png
loooooool (sorry Isaac fans)

metallic shadow

Smash Apprentice
I'm going to assume it's another one-off and this post makes no sense.

Geno at least shows some personality even if he's mostly silent (from what I've read), and if people are bandwagoning it's probably because they like the character.
It's King Boo, obviously. The second biggest villain in the Mario series, who just had his first game remade this year and will get a new one next year. And who you somehow forgot to put in your signature despite having several less notable and less significant characters than him.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
It's King Boo, obviously. The second biggest villain in the Mario series, who just had his first game remade this year and will get a new one next year. And who you somehow forgot to put in your signature despite having several less notable and less significant characters than him.
I like King Boo and would be happy with his inclusion in Smash, but each of the characters in my sig are entirely notable and significant to me as well so...

You're also kinda sounding like someone who's trying to force superiority...

Last edited:

Xigger

Smash Lord
Geno at least shows some personality even if he's mostly silent (from what I've read)
Super Mario RPG isn't a very talkative game, for today's standards, but Geno has more dialogue than most, second only to Bowser. (and that's due to multiple monologuing scenes)

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
>My character is more likely than yours because I said so.
>My character is more significant than yours because I said so.

Are you using your older siblings abandoned account? I'm quite curious now.

metallic shadow

Smash Apprentice
>My character is more likely than yours because I said so.
>My character is more significant than yours because I said so.

Are you using your older siblings abandoned account? I'm quite curious now.
He's not more significant "because I said so", he's more significant because he's the main antagonist of two (soon to be three, four if you count the Luigi's Mansion arcade game) games. This is a big deal for a Mario character as it puts him ahead of everyone save Bowser, making him the only recurring final boss besides the Koopa King. Plus he has several appearances in Mario Kart and Mario Party games, sometimes as a boss and sometimes as a playable character, more so than any of the other king characters (again, unless you count Bowser as the Koopa King).

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
He's not more significant "because I said so", he's more significant because he's the main antagonist of two (soon to be three, four if you count the Luigi's Mansion arcade game) games. This is a big deal for a Mario character as it puts him ahead of everyone save Bowser, making him the only recurring final boss besides the Koopa King. Plus he has several appearances in Mario Kart and Mario Party games, sometimes as a boss and sometimes as a playable character, more so than any of the other king characters (again, unless you count Bowser as the Koopa King).

Listen.

No one cares who's "more significant," that's not why people want their character in Smash.

If we were going by who's significant, my favorite duo the Ice Climbers would've been discarded long ago.

We each like characters for different reasons, characters whom we at least feel is "significant" in some way, at least to ourselves.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Listen.

No one cares who's "more significant," that's not why people want their character in Smash.

If we were going by who's significant, my favorite duo the Ice Climbers would've been discarded long ago.

We each like characters whom we at least feel is "significant" in some way, at least to ourselves.
Lucas Gang Gang

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
I like King Boo, and I think it'd be cool to see him appear as a DLC character, but the way you're putting yourself is making me want him a little less. Don't act like that, please. Everyone is entitled to like who they like, but that doesn't give anybody the power to put themselves on a pedestal.

genowhat.png

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
...And? Being a villian means jack to Nintendo. Also... isn't Luigi's Mansion a spin off series? Just like SMRPG? Your same logic could go towards so many other characters, but you chose this specific character. Why? Because you like him? Well we like Geno, and your "facts" can't deter that. I'm sure there's a King Boo support thread and if not, why not make one? Being an annoyance to people because you dislike a video game character won't get you many friends in life.

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
The way Geno makes sense to me is to include a unique character to represent the RPG games related to Mario; it would make sense to start with the one that has been around the longest and choose a character from the first game (and that's not to mention all the other points working in his favor). Again, having Geno in Smash could open the door later down the road for other side-characters from later games and spin-offs if the demand is there for it.

Honestly if Geno gets into Smash I would take that as the highest sign that Nintendo is clearly listening to their fans, and I think both Ridley and K. Rool have been along those same lines. He would never have been this considered had it not been for the fans, and even getting a Mii outfit feels like an honorary title as a potential future fighter. I wouldn't put it past Sakurai to be able to accomplish such an objective if we're in that miracle territory we know Smash to be, as Sakurai himself has stated in every interview concerning these types of characters.

metallic shadow

Smash Apprentice
I like King Boo, and I think it'd be cool to see him appear as a DLC character, but the way you're putting yourself is making me want him a little less. Don't act like that, please. Everyone is entitled to like who they like, but that doesn't give anybody the power to put themselves on a pedestal.
I'm not putting myself on a pedestal, I'm putting King Boo on a pedestal.

...And? Being a villian means jack to Nintendo. Also... isn't Luigi's Mansion a spin off series? Just like SMRPG? Your same logic could go towards so many other characters, but you chose this specific character. Why? Because you like him? Well we like Geno, and your "facts" can't deter that. I'm sure there's a King Boo support thread and if not, why not make one? Being an annoyance to people because you dislike a video game character won't get you many friends in life.
Which characters do you mean? The other characters that have been main villains/final bosses in Mario games, like Tatanga, Smithy, and Dimentio are all one-offs. Luigi's Mansion is a spin-off series, but a recurring one that thus far has starred King Boo as the main antagonist every time. And if being a villain means nothing to Nintendo I'm surprised they went out of their way to draw those villain images just to show them off for one second in the K. Rool reveal.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I may as well place Geno on a higher pedestal because Sakurai bias and Nintendo's recent acknowledgement, but no, I'm not going to because I'm not a whiny Smash fan who "debates" characters by bashing them and their fans.

Last edited:

beans

Smash Lord
Honestly, Geno depends on Sakurai's involvement with DLC.
I doubt Nintendo of Japan would go for him and would probally choose who brings the money or advertises something (Corrin's case: Sakurai admited there were enough FE reps, but had to add someone from a recent release and was convinced Corrin would bring an unique moveset)
Sakurai already expresse a preference for Geno, so our doll has the Get Out of Jail card of "Sakurai Bias"

The same card the gave us the weird "surprise reps" that never would've been chosen by anyone with a sane mind (Icies, Game and Watch, R.O.B, WiiFit, Duck Hunt Trio, freaking Pirana Plant)
Also the same card that makes miracles, such as the first 3rd party rep, Snake, from a franchise from mostly in a competitors console. Why was he considered? Kojima asked Sakurai, and Sakurai went "sure bro"

Joker is advertising Persona Q2 in the 3DS, or the entire Persona sub-franchise...
... or he has a Sakurai Bias card on his sleeve (https://www.sourcegaming.info/2016/11/24/the-aims-of-ui-sakurais-famitsu-column-vol-515/)
Sakurai expressed his admiration for the game in an article, thus possibly throwing a wrench in expectation.
Is Joker shilling something or was he favored from the start by Sakurai?
Does he means NoJ vision on P5 bringing Persona into a bigger spotlight as a chance for bringing something current or did Sakurai influence the choices?
He's a real wild card +4

Last edited:

6eyondthegrave

Smash Apprentice
That's a cool suggestion but it doesn't make Geno any less than what you've selected. We all love Geno and shared that passion across 560 pages. You have your reasons for King Boo and although I don't really understand why, because I'm not you, I won't knock it.

Xigger

Smash Lord
I wouldn't put it past Sakurai to be able to accomplish such an objective if we're in that miracle territory we know Smash to be, as Sakurai himself has stated in every interview concerning these types of characters.
Sakurai does admittedly take pride in reviving characters and franchises.

• Brought Fire Emblem fame outside of Japan
• Revived Kid Icarus, recreated Pit and Palutena
• Called dibs on bringing back K. Rool, rather than in Donkey Kong Country Returns
• Technically revived all missing Smash veterans in Ultimate?

HolyKnight

Smash Journeyman

• Called dibs on bringing back K. Rool, rather than in Donkey Kong Country Returns
Imagine, the E3 show gives us Banjo + a new banjo game, and Geno and a second smrpg game. I'd probably die of excitement and shock at the same time. But i'd be cool with it.

6eyondthegrave

Smash Apprentice
Imagine, the E3 show gives us Banjo + a new banjo game, and Geno and a second smrpg game. I'd probably die of excitement and shock at the same time. But i'd be cool with it.
Especially a 2nd smrpg game! It would make sense for square to partner up with nintendo again. It would be so epic!

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord

Can't ignore EarthBound. Ness's addition while not being a revival, certainly exposed the franchise to more people.

Potatu

Smash Apprentice
Guys, you're all wrong. Geno, Fawful, Dimentio? **** them. They're characters from totally not well-received games and definitely not loved by their fanbases. Instead, pay tribute to Gourmet Guy. He was the pinnacle of the Paper Mario franchise and if it weren't for him, Paper Mario would've died right on the spot.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
This is now the Gourmet Guy support thread.

GTFO if you don't support our lord and savior, Gourmet Guy.

Xigger

Smash Lord
Can't ignore EarthBound. Ness's addition while not being a revival, certainly exposed the franchise to more people.
• No more games: Ness, Captain Falcon, Ice Climbers, Mr. Game&Watch, Solid Snake, Lucas, R.O.B., Duck Hunt
• One-time characters: Sheik, Shulk, some Pokemon and Fire Emblem characters
• Exposed franchises: all of them

Snake is debatable but that gets into spoiler territory

beans

Smash Lord
• No more games: Ness, Captain Falcon, Ice Climbers, Mr. Game&Watch, Solid Snake, Lucas, R.O.B., Duck Hunt
• One-time characters: Sheik, Shulk, some Pokemon and Fire Emblem characters
• Exposed franchises: all of them

Snake is debatable but that gets into spoiler territory
Funny looking at Falcon, Ness and Lucas.
Falcon was from a franchise that was getting games
Ness was from an hyped release in Japan and related to Earthbound 64
Lucas was from a game that was never localized, and if Sakurai knew about it, Lucas would've been cut from Brawl

Dan

Smash Lord
Huh; I like Geno and King Boo. Never considered King Boo though, but he seems like a very Sakurai pick for the next Mario rep (whenever that is [if it even happens]); I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we get him to promote the Switch game - the kind of no-brainer character no one expected.

Geno is a one-off side character from a 22 year old game. He is a non-entity in the story of SMRPG past his brief introduction and he has no discernible personality. I'm going to go ****ing ballistic if you bandwagoners meme him into the roster when there is a much more deserving and distinguished Mario character out there.
Is every character but Mario a side character?

Didn't Geno kind of have a significant impact on the story, especially at the end? It's also not a meme; it's a genuine desire for a character.

Geno at least shows some personality even if he's mostly silent (from what I've read), and if people are bandwagoning it's probably because they like the character.
He's not really mostly silent, but what does that even matter? Mario is entirely silent.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Who is this peekybird guy? Never heard of him but I'm intrigued. Has he got any credibility?
I'd say he does. I'm pretty skeptical of "insiders" and the only ones I believe with certainty are Verge and PolarPanda (I don't always believe their opinions, just their info. I don't think we're getting Erdrick.) but Peekybird is definitely not someone I would immediately discredit. Does this point to Frisk/Sans? We don't even know, it could literally mean a thousand things, or nothing at all. I don't think we should say he's just bull**** though.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
Also, kind of weird people don’t think Geno had a significant impact in SMRPG when he

-is literally the Mario of Star Road
-is one of the strongest characters in game. (Geno Whirl 9,999 damage meme survived to this day. I also believe this wasn’t patched in VC or SNES Classic)
-cult following led to Mii Costume last game
-is basically the 2nd protagonist after Mario

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Thing is, it honestly doesn't look like Frisk to me. To me its more likely a reaction to something as the Frisk face would have one less underscore. I know this sounds dumb, and it probably is, but -_- looks more like Frisk to me than -__- Just a personal gripe though.

Last edited:

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
I mean I made a post response to the NoA twitter account saying “Geno for Smash” and for as many likes as it got there were several people who went out of their way to say I was delusional for thinking he’d ever be in Smash, that he’s not popular, that he’s popular because of mob mentality, that he’s popular because of nostalgia.
The same could be said about King K. Rool, Lucas, Pit, and Sheik. They're characters that got in because of nostalgia and everybody loves them. Us King K. Rool fans were also the minority back then and were judged about wanting our Krocodile King in the game, but look at how the tables have ****ing turned, the King K. Rool and Ridley haters finally shut it once our reptile boys got in.

Don't forget about Geno haters when they say, "He only appears in one game!" Yeah, I guess they're forgetting about Lucas, the Ice Climbers, and the Duck Hunt trio, huh? Lucas is actually in the same category as Geno, with him being a protagonist of his own game and was long-forgotten until he made it in Brawl. Same goes for Pit, haven't appearing since the Game Boy era until he made it in Brawl, then he got a new game a few years later for the 3DS. And the funny thing is, Geno actually appears in two games, not one! :)

And then they said he's not popular? Geno scored #3 in popularity on the OFFICIAL Brawl poll in Japan back from 2006.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Since no one else knew about Joker I really doubt this PeekyBird guy knew.

It also seems Smash isn't the only thing he "leaks," since he's claiming multiple (at least 2(?)) directs next year (which is a safe guess and isn't really necessary for a leak lol).

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, Geno depends on Sakurai's involvement with DLC.
I doubt Nintendo of Japan would go for him and would probally choose who brings the money or advertises something (Corrin's case: Sakurai admited there were enough FE reps, but had to add someone from a recent release and was convinced Corrin would bring an unique moveset)
Sakurai already expresse a preference for Geno, so our doll has the Get Out of Jail card of "Sakurai Bias"

The same card the gave us the weird "surprise reps" that never would've been chosen by anyone with a sane mind (Icies, Game and Watch, R.O.B, WiiFit, Duck Hunt Trio, freaking Pirana Plant)
Also the same card that makes miracles, such as the first 3rd party rep, Snake, from a franchise from mostly in a competitors console. Why was he considered? Kojima asked Sakurai, and Sakurai went "sure bro"

Joker is advertising Persona Q2 in the 3DS, or the entire Persona sub-franchise...
... or he has a Sakurai Bias card on his sleeve (https://www.sourcegaming.info/2016/11/24/the-aims-of-ui-sakurais-famitsu-column-vol-515/)
Sakurai expressed his admiration for the game in an article, thus possibly throwing a wrench in expectation.
Is Joker shilling something or was he favored from the start by Sakurai?
Does he means NoJ vision on P5 bringing Persona into a bigger spotlight as a chance for bringing something current or did Sakurai influence the choices?
He's a real wild card +4
That Sakurai bias be hittin. MMMMM is that a droplet of hope I taste?

>When everyone in your circle of Smash friends thinks Frisk is suddenly super likely because Peeky Bird tweeted this
https://twitter.com/thepeekybird/status/1075464150401323008

Doubt. lol. Usually if it's a Smash thing, they'll try to link it to Smash. Also, imagine the riots of Frisk getting in and not, idk, Shovel Knight

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Geno is a one-off side character from a 22 year old game. He is a non-entity in the story of SMRPG past his brief introduction and he has no discernible personality. I'm going to go ****ing ballistic if you bandwagoners meme him into the roster when there is a much more deserving and distinguished Mario character out there.
All the points you made are right, but your attitude is toxic. Maybe leave the thread and cry somewhere else. "Oh no, I came to the Geno thread, now everyone is supporting a character I don't like!" Just leave, for crap's sake. I assume you hate every other popular fighter request in existence. And since this is your first post in like forever, I'm gonna assume you're a troll. Begone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom