• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Wait! Did Hitagi backpedal again?! Is he saying Katalina is still a possibility for Smash?
I dunno, I am paying 0 attention to what he/she says. He backpedaled before on Katalina, and a post of ForsakenM ForsakenM 's proves Hitagi is full of bull****. That and no one knows the DLC, which was said by PolarPanda PolarPanda

Last edited by a moderator:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
What if I made a post on 2chan that made some vague prediction that came true and on that post I said Geno was in. Just for the memes

Super Fawful

Smash Cadet
NNID
dimentio64
I support him! Geno is the only Square Enix character (other than other SMRPG characters but literally why would it not be him) that I'd actually get excited over and in my opinion, he should've been a no-brainer for their first Smash newcomer, or at least their second, thanks to literally existing as part of Mario's universe and not a third-party universe. I've been pushing for the Mario RPGs and their original characters to get taken more seriously in other games for years, it's gotta happen some time right? Even Sakurai said he wanted Geno, let's just get him in now!

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
You know, even if Geno doesn't get in Smash, I have so much appreciation for the existence of his fanbase. It does my heart good to see so many people rallying for him — and even outside of the Smash circle, too! I was honestly surprised at just how large of a following he has. I always was under the impression that it was mainly the Smash bubble myself, but he's definitely farther reaching than that.

Anyhow, all I can say is that I encourage that you don't hesitate to show your appreciation for characters that you love, including Geno. Fanworks and such will always keep him alive, anyhow! I'd love to undertake some more ambitious fan projects involving Geno myself, really.

I posted this fan art to my art blog last night, and whilst initially very shy about posting here, I feel a little more at ease with sharing at least this much. Consider this dedicated to y'all.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
You know, even if Geno doesn't get in Smash, I have so much appreciation for the existence of his fanbase. It does my heart good to see so many people rallying for him — and even outside of the Smash circle, too! I was honestly surprised at just how large of a following he has. I always was under the impression that it was mainly the Smash bubble myself, but he's definitely farther reaching than that.

Anyhow, all I can say is that I encourage that you don't hesitate to show your appreciation for characters that you love, including Geno. Fanworks and such will always keep him alive, anyhow! I'd love to undertake some more ambitious fan projects involving Geno myself, really.

I posted this fan art to my art blog last night, and whilst initially very shy about posting here, I feel a little more at ease with sharing at least this much. Consider this dedicated to y'all.
THAT IS SO CUTE HOLY **** I LOVE IT. MY STAR CHILDREN. BABIES.

Potatu

Smash Apprentice
Erdrick would be such a boring pick. Like damn.
I agree. I don't see why he stands out from the rest of the SE reps. Neku uses pins that grant him many abilities, Crono, while a swordsman, can use techniques and thunder magic. Geno obvisiously can do many things like shooting lasers, turning into a canon and shooting his fists. Erdrick? I think he uses basic magic, but that's about it.

Last edited:

Potatu

Smash Apprentice

Beautiful artwork, you did a good job.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Aw, such wonderful compliments, gosh... Thank you so much! I hope it's at least brightened your star-loving hearts just that bit more!

polar panda has been real quiet. where is he btw?
Probably busy or otherwise distancing from speculation. After all, I don't see them getting any more information any time soon, and I think it's best that we let them be and not loom over them for info, y'know? If they learn something they have permission to post, I'm sure they'll let us know.

D

Deleted member

I love this artwork

How dare you. Silent Sword-Swinging Goku/Caulifla© would be great picks.
Popeye would be better

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I can't say that Erdrick seems like an interesting pick, but I think if anyone could really make any more unique, than it would be Sakurai. Again, I don't see anything specifically wrong with him and swords aren't inherently bad for me. Plus I really do think Dragon Quest is an excellent fit for Smash, so, I wouldn't be really upset... but I do think it sends the exact opposite message of the original game. And maybe that's just the point. The base game was appealing to the fans with all the veterans, major requested characters, and new faces with an Incineroar thrown in. DLC being their biggest aspirations for a crossover game would make sense.

And honestly, the more I think about everything with Joker, the less confident I become in Geno. If Joker is a taste of what's to come and representative of the new stuff in Smash... I think that fits Dragon Quest way better than Geno unfortunately. If Joker is indicative of the play for an even larger crossover and appealing to those third party demographics with big name characters, Erdrick is one of the bigger Japanese characters you could include. Joker maps to Erdrick way better as both are JRPG protagonists from major Japanese third parties.

I'm not saying I believe the leak as is... but the more I think about Joker, the less good I feel about Geno's chances. And the more I think about Erdrick with regards to how Joker has been rolled out, the more likely he seems.

I wonder if somewhere in Nintendo exists the sentiment that they did enough for the fans with the base in terms of specific requests... cause that would kind of hurt... but also make some sense as well...

Ah well, let's see where the future takes us. Persona 5 Crimson/Ruby seems pretty likely on Switch, so why that won't help our case, it also won't be the nail in our coffin either, so that's important to keep in mind.

Mellowy Yellow

Smash Lord

OMG MY HEART AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I agree. I don't see why he stands out from the rest of the SE reps. Neku uses pins that grant him many abilities, Crono, while a swordsman, can use techniques and thunder magic. Geno obvisiously can do many things like shooting lasers, turning into a canon and shooting his fists. Erdrick? I think he uses basic magic, but that's about it.
Historically, Erdrick is important on paper, but other DQ characters would be more interesting than him in terms of gameplay capability (especially unconventional characters like Torneko). Even Slime.

I can't say that Erdrick seems like an interesting pick, but I think if anyone could really make any more unique, than it would be Sakurai. Again, I don't see anything specifically wrong with him and swords aren't inherently bad for me. Plus I really do think Dragon Quest is an excellent fit for Smash, so, I wouldn't be really upset... but I do think it sends the exact opposite message of the original game. And maybe that's just the point. The base game was appealing to the fans with all the veterans, major requested characters, and new faces with an Incineroar thrown in. DLC being their biggest aspirations for a crossover game would make sense.

And honestly, the more I think about everything with Joker, the less confident I become in Geno. If Joker is a taste of what's to come and representative of the new stuff in Smash... I think that fits Dragon Quest way better than Geno unfortunately. If Joker is indicative of the play for an even larger crossover and appealing to those third party demographics with big name characters, Erdrick is one of the bigger Japanese characters you could include. Joker maps to Erdrick way better as both are JRPG protagonists from major Japanese third parties.

I'm not saying I believe the leak as is... but the more I think about Joker, the less good I feel about Geno's chances. And the more I think about Erdrick with regards to how Joker has been rolled out, the more likely he seems.

I wonder if somewhere in Nintendo exists the sentiment that they did enough for the fans with the base in terms of specific requests... cause that would kind of hurt... but also make some sense as well...

Ah well, let's see where the future takes us. Persona 5 Crimson/Ruby seems pretty likely on Switch, so why that won't help our case, it also won't be the nail in our coffin either, so that's important to keep in mind.
If Joker's reveal taught me anything, is that we'll probably get anything but an SE character.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
Sadly, I'm pretty sure that he's not getting in now.
What makes you say that?

And just for funsies, I decided to watch the Smash U credits. I was mostly checking for the “Geno is owned by Square Enix” section. Interestingly...it never did show up. Idk if that’s a mistake on the people who made the credits or if that means something else....

Additionally, there are only three names attached to Square Enix as far as colloaborators: Tetsuya Nomura (of course), Yoshinori Kitase (director and producer of most if not all of the Final Fantasy games, notably also Co Produced Kingdom Hearts and was Director and Scenario Writer for Crono Trigger) and Tomohiko Hirano (his only credit on IMDB is for Advent Children). I’m assuming all of this was the people involved in Cloud’s inclusion, but weird that Geno is in, and no credits for his cameo are in this like they were in Mario SSS

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
What makes you say that?

And just for funsies, I decided to watch the Smash U credits. I was mostly checking for the “Geno is owned by Square Enix” section. Interestingly...it never did show up. Idk if that’s a mistake on the people who made the credits or if that means something else....

Additionally, there are only three names attached to Square Enix as far as colloaborators: Tetsuya Nomura (of course), Yoshinori Kitase (director and producer of most if not all of the Final Fantasy games, notably also Co Produced Kingdom Hearts and was Director and Scenario Writer for Crono Trigger) and Tomohiko Hirano (his only credit on IMDB is for Advent Children). I’m assuming all of this was the people involved in Cloud’s inclusion, but weird that Geno is in, and no credits for his cameo are in this like they were in Mario SSS
DON'T TOY WITH MY HEART LIKE THIS

HolyKnight

Smash Journeyman
According to someone, its gonna be Erdrick, check the recent papageno's vid. My god how disappointing would that be?

Xigger

Smash Lord
Speaking of odd facts with Geno's Smash inclusions, he DOES have a Mario icon for his spirit. Also, his maxed out spirit power is exactly 10,000, and I think that's pretty neat.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Speaking of odd facts with Geno's Smash inclusions, he DOES have a Mario icon for his spirit. Also, his maxed out spirit power is exactly 10,000, and I think that's pretty neat.
So, does he get the 10% boost for being equipped to a Mario character?

HolyKnight

Smash Journeyman
Starting off on an amazing note with Joker and then ****ing it all up with Erdrick is the most Nintendo move i could possibly think off.
its def a squeenix move. they seem hell bent on pissing off their fanbases as of late. Not as bad as ACTIVISION BLIZZARD or bethesda, but its still pretty bad.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Starting off on an amazing note with Joker and then ****ing it all up with Erdrick is the most Nintendo move i could possibly think off.
Why do you hate Nintendo so much? I mean, your allowed to not exactly like every thing they do, but every other post you find some way be mad at them.

Last edited:

RSF-Blue bomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lethlintejection
3DS FC
5069-3977-0380
What makes you say that?

Are you sure about it dude

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Isn't the info from 2Chan or something?

Besides, I don't think they'd slip up on the DLC that easily after Joker's been so thoroughly covered up, especially when Hashimoto had to hastily delete a tweet humoring the possibility of Sora. Far too early to assume it's accurate after most everyone has been so dead set on a VGA SE reveal until the event happened.

Whoever's next, they'd likely want to avoid a repeat of Ryu's situation in 4.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Okay, I'm going to clear up the Erdrick 'leak'. Here's the order of events:

1) Vergeben and Hitagi have been claiming for about a month or so that a Granblue fighting game from ASC is in development. The rumor's been spreading around for quite a while.
2) Five days ago, someone on 5ch posts this 'leak' of a Granblue fighting game coming out, also stating that they know about Joker's moveset quirks and his stage, as well as Erdrick and his. The next post they made about the Smash characters was ten minutes after and it is not verified if it's even the same user, even if in the same thread.
3) Today, the Granblue fighting game rumored a month or so ago was announced.

Is Erdrick possible? Yes. Is this leak the smoking gun? Absolutely not. It's one of those 'piggybacking' off of Vergeben and Hitagi with info they happened to get right. Along with that, an actually verified source, PolarPanda's, has said that no one knows the DLC. This was essentially confirmed by Joker being such a surprise that no one predicted. Joker's only just recently started development as evidenced by the fact that they didn't even have gameplay to show, nor do they have his model up on the Smash site, whereas Piranha Plant's is.

It's literally impossible for them to know about all of those details on Joker's and Erdrick's moves and stage when Joker isn't even anywhere near completion. On top of that, no one is sure of the DLC yet unless they're extremely higher-up employees, and I'm willing to bet it's on a 'need to know' basis. Guessing a rumored game that's been in the rumor mill for quite some time through notable insiders is also not at all farfetched, and it's easy to see that it's a 'safe' rumor to push to make the leak look legitimate.

tl;dr: the 'leak' hardly has anything to back it up. It only blew up because of the Granblue thing, which holds essentially no water when it's piggybacking off of prior leaks. Adding Persona 5 stuff is also pretty safe considering we know of Joker's existence in Smash now. It's pulling things we already know and have already been in the rumor mill to push a fake Smash leak.

Basically, move along, nothing to see here.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Oh boy! This new up and comer leaker named Hitagi just said Edrick is the Square rep! I dunno if their right; but their track record with Smash Brothers is pretty clean! :4pacman:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom