• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
yes but every pick gets a backlash, not only from the square enix character, everyone wants different characters, it's hard to please all the people
I don’t really agree with that. There may be characters people aren’t as excited for but I wouldn’t say there was backlash from Simon/Richter or King K. Rool getting in for example.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I don’t really agree with that. There may be characters people aren’t as excited for but I wouldn’t say there was backlash from Simon/Richter or King K. Rool getting in for example.
If anything, there's more backlash that happens before they get in. Rool in particular got heat for being "irrelevant" until his reveal was shown off.

Besides, any bad publicity is good publicity, seeing as most character wants aren't acknowledged enough to even get hated.

Last edited:

bardbowman

Smash Apprentice
Because those were characters that were requested for a long time.

Erdrick is not one of them.
That’s what will really irritate me if Erdrick actually gets in. Sure, he’s from a series that’s huge in Japan, but as far as I know, he’s never scored very well in Japanese smash polls. He’s not bringing a unique play style to the table either. From all accounts, he’s as generic as anime swordboys come.

And you mean to tell me a character like this is worth the legal nightmare it would take to make it happen?

I know it’s not a personal attack against Geno and his fans, but it’ll still feel like a slap in the face.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You know, even if Erdrick being in is true, you'd still have to admire the fact that Sakurai potentially did the impossible.

You have a character from a franchise owned by 5 companies, that has had only internal crossovers and Mario crossovers that don't have much involvement from Nintendo, if any. That alone would blow a lot of people's minds, for being the kind of feat that's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

And there's probably the possibility that the alternative choices that Nintendo sent from SE are much worse (e.g. Noctis).

Again, assuming any of this rumor is true at all. There isn't any reason to believe any of this right now, since there haven't been any upcoming Directs brought up yet, as far as I know.

Last edited:

Potatu

Smash Apprentice
And what's wrong with Sword fighters, exactly?
Many people find swordwielders oversaturated (FE might have fueled that, no offense FE fans). In my opinion, if a swordwielder is not diverse enough, they don't seem fitting enough to be in.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Many people find swordwielders oversaturated (FE might have fueled that, no offense FE fans). In my opinion, if a swordwielder is not diverse enough, they don't seem fitting enough to be in.
It may help if Sakurai chooses to take a break from FE inclusions for a while, IS doesn't give much for him to work with anyway.

Seriously, I know the character pool for FE is huge (not as much as Pokemon, but still pretty big), but any non-sword user is ignored so long as they aren't a Lord. If the franchise ended after Awakening, this wouldn't pose as much of a problem.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
If anything, there's more backlash that happens before they get in. Rool in particular got heat for being "irrelevant" until his reveal was shown off.

Besides, any bad publicity is good publicity, seeing as most character wants aren't acknowledged enough to even get hated.
Yeah that’s not really backlash though. Backlash is a response to something happening not people being upset about something that hasn’t happened yet. I’d consider the fan response to Dark Pit last game to be backlash.

That’s what will really irritate me if Erdrick actually gets in. Sure, he’s from a series that’s huge in Japan, but as far as I know, he’s never scored very well in Japanese smash polls. He’s not bringing a unique play style to the table either. From all accounts, he’s as generic as anime swordboys come.

And you mean to tell me a character like this is worth the legal nightmare it would take to make it happen?

I know it’s not a personal attack against Geno and his fans, but it’ll still feel like a slap in the face.
It really just would be a tone deaf move. Even when it comes to appealing to Japanese fans he’s not someone they’re even asking for.

You know, even if Erdrick being in is true, you'd still have to admire the fact that Sakurai potentially did the impossible.

You have a character from a franchise owned by 5 companies, that has had only internal crossovers and Mario crossovers that don't have much involvement from Nintendo, if any. That alone would blow a lot of people's minds, for being the kind of feat that's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

And there's probably the possibility that the alternative choices that Nintendo sent from SE are much worse (e.g. Noctis).

Again, assuming any of this rumor is true at all. There isn't any reason to believe any of this right now, since there haven't been any upcoming Directs brought up yet, as far as I know.
Nah I’m not one for admiring bad tone deaf ideas no one is asking for. It would just feel inefficient and a waste of resources to make happen something people don’t really want to happen.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Okay, and I'm sure Sakurai could make Erdrick feel unique if he trued.
we have 14 of them. we really REALLY dont need any more, there are other weapons, and I wanna see someone with a spear (Ephraim, Mipha,)
Okay, so 14 characters use swords. This game has 70+ characters, so that means there's substantially way more characters that don't use swords. I'm failing to see the issue.

Also, I think people exaggerate how Sword users "oversaturate" the roster, when we see alot of other fighting styles repeated in Smash Bros as well? What about all the characters that punch and kick? What about all the characters that shoot guns or arm cannons?

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Also, I think people exaggerate how Sword users "oversaturate" the roster, when we see alot of other fighting styles repeated in Smash Bros as well? What about all the characters that punch and kick? What about all the characters that shoot guns or arm cannons?
To be fair, comparing swordies to unarmed fighters is a bit of a false equivalence since there's generally a lot more room for creativity with an unarmed fighter than there is with yet another swordfighter. Unarmed fighters can punch, kick, knee, tackle, headbutt, bite, shoulder-bash, body slam, stomp, and much more depending on their general physique, and that doesn't even begin to go into the specific abilities of that character. Swordies, meanwhile, can slash and stab with their weapon and that's about it. I think that's where a lot of the issue stems from. Even if the moves are mechanically different, conceptually, a lot of swordies kind of fight the same before putting Specials into the equation. (I mean, how many swordies in the roster have a downward swipe for their Fair? Think about it.) The only real distinction to be made there is light swords vs. heavy swords, which has only really been explored once in Smash's entire history with Ike swinging his sword around more like it's a club than a sword.
And since you brought it up, the only real "gunners" in Smash's roster currently are Mii Gunner, Mega Man, the Samuses, and kind of Bayonetta. (And if you wanna get really picky, Snake, K. Rool, and the Spacies technically do shoot guns, even if it's only for one special each and their kit isn't really based on them having guns.) I wouldn't exactly call that trope tired just yet.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
View attachment 183147
Take this laughing Geno. I don't know who made it , but it's a good emote lol

And Erdrick?

What was the last time that a third party promoted a third party franchise?

:ultsnake: was here because Kojima badly wanted him in Smash , and would generate a lot of hype , he was the first third party ! And a surprising one , at that. He wasn't here because "promote MGS lol".

:ultsonic: I mean , the blue blur is an iconic video game character , and him getting in Smash Bros was considered since Melee. Remember the ol' days of Sega VS Nintendo ? MegaDrive VS Super Nintendo? Sonic was an hype character , he wasn't here because "promote Sonic Unleashed duh".

:ultmegaman: He's iconic. That's obvious , he's a NES icon and a character that's still kicking , with a lot of series and spin-off (The Legacy collections are just sratching the surface) , he was very requested since melee , alongside Sonic. He was at the beginning of the Sm4sh Hype cycle between :ultvillager: and :ultwiifittrainer: to hype people.

:ultpacman: Bandai Namco was on board , it was obvious that they would give the most iconic arcade video game character of all-time. I don't think he was as requested , but he's here for history and iconic status. And he still has games to this day , with the Pac-Man world games , and , even tho mediocre/decent , Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures.

:ultryu:Mr.Fighting game himself. That's enough to be hype. Capcom didn't released a single Street Fighter on the Wii U btw(except SNES titles on the eshop I think) , and yeah :ultken: was here because he was an obvious echo.

:ultcloud:Mr.RPG himself.Most iconic SE character from the most iconic RPG franchise of all-time , and was long considered an impossibility. He's iconic and it's Final Fantasy , a big part of RPG's history. If they wanted to promote a recent FF game , why not Lighting instead?

:ultbayonetta: Supposed winner of the ballot and... She's a Nintendo character. All of her games are on the Wii U/Switch now. That's why she get a pass , she's VERY close to Nintendo , and had requests.

:ultsimon: Is an NES icon. He was the last one that was needeed , and was iconic. I think his request died down because of Konami's behavior with their franchises , but people were hyped by Simon. And once again , no Castlevania on the Switch , only a PS4 collection if I recall. And :ultrichter: is here because echo , so why not bring another belmont in the mix. His game also sold pretty poorly if I recall (I think it was Dracula X?)

Joker is a tricky one. I think it was because of requests , and in the context of the VGA. He was a very popular character among gamers , and P5 was still fresh in people's mind. I don't think it was done to promote a 3DS game lol , it was really for the hype.

But no one here was "LET'S PROMOTE OUR FRANCHISE YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET".

Erdrick only has history for him , not even requests. He isn't iconic because of a lack of world-wide appeal.And let's not talk about how they would share profit with Nintendo , SE , Armor project , Bird Studio , HeartBeat and the composer. Thats 6 parties in total... Sega , Konami , Capcom , Bandai Namco , Platinum games and Atlus... It's 6 parties.

Let that sink in , they already have 6 differents third parties for Smash , and you would need to talk between 6 differents parties to get ONE character as DLC , even tho they are a billion of third parties that would gladly say yes for their characters inclusions in Smash , not counting Nintendo/Second party characters.
Maybe instead of including Dragon Quest to promote Dragon Quest, they could include it because it’s one of the most legendary franchises in gaming history and deserves to be there.

Then nobody would complain, right?

D

Deleted member

Maybe instead of including Dragon Quest to promote Dragon Quest, they could include it because it’s one of the most legendary franchises in gaming history and deserves to be there.

Dragon Quest is only a legacy in Japan

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Dragon Quest is a legacy everywhere my man.

Literally EVERY JRPG EVER use code that Dragon Quest made.
It's referenced everywhere.
Zelda referenced it.
FF referenced it.

EVERY JRPG REFERENCE IT without realizing it.

DQ is THE GRANDFATHER OF ALL JRPG

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I bought almost every (main series) Dragon Quest game since DQ 3 on GBC except DQ11 (Since I don't have a system that can play it), but I'm probably not going to buy another DQ game again if Erdrick did get in instead of Geno

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Dragon Quest is a legacy everywhere my man.

Literally EVERY JRPG EVER use code that Dragon Quest made.
It's referenced everywhere.
Zelda referenced it.
FF referenced it.

EVERY JRPG REFERENCE IT without realizing it.

DQ is THE GRANDFATHER OF ALL JRPG
Again, DQ is overwhelmingly popular in Japan, not anywhere else. There might be some references, but it's not going to make it any more popular in anywhere outside of Japan than it is now

It is not the Grandfather of all JRPGs. FF or Chrono Trigger probably, not DQ

Last edited by a moderator:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Again, DQ is overwhelmingly popular in Japan, not anywhere else. There might be some references, but it's not going to make it any more popular in anywhere outside of Japan than it is now

It is not the Grandfather of all RPGs. FF or Chrono Trigger probably, not DQ
>It is not the grandfather of all RPG's

Make your research dude, you'll be surprised. it was made in 1986, three months after Zelda, before Castlevania, before Megaman, Before Metroid, Kid Icarus and a year before FF.

All of the things FF did, DQ did it first.
If DQ gets in, it's the oldest NES IP alongside Mario, Duck Hunt and Zelda
Chrono trigger existed the same years a SMRPG, what the hell you're on about?

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

It is not the Grandfather of all JRPGs. FF or Chrono Trigger probably, not DQ
Popularity does not equal legacy. Legacy means it did something important and massive for gaming. It came way before FF and CT, and they would not exist if it weren’t for Dragon Quest.

Neither would Geno, for that matter.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Popularity does not equal legacy. Legacy means it did something important and massive for gaming. It came way before FF and CT, and they would not exist if it weren’t for Dragon Quest.

Dungeons and Dragons deserves to be in smash because neither Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy would have existed if the Japanese developers didn't rip it off

D

Deleted member

>It is not the grandfather of all RPG's

Make your research dude, you'll be surprised. it was made in 1986, three months after Zelda, before Castlevania, before Megaman, Before Metroid, Kid Icarus and a year before FF.

All of the things FF did, DQ did it first.
If DQ gets in, it's the oldest NES IP alongside Mario, Duck Hunt and Zelda
Chrono trigger existed the same years a SMRPG, what the hell you're on about?
Being an older franchise does not make it any more of a legacy. That's the only thing it has over FF and CT. FF and CT are far more recognizable and popular. SE has made many attempt to introduce it to the west, but it hasn't really worked out

Again, being an older franchise does not make it a legacy. It is a series that is a legacy in Japan, but yet CT and FF became more well known and popular than DQ.

You are right about DQ coming first and leading the way for popular SE RPGs like FF and CT, so I'll give you that

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Dungeons and Dragons deserves to be in smash because neither Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy would have existed if the Japanese developers didn't rip it off
But D&D wouldn’t exist without Tolkien, so let’s get the Tolks as DLC!

Or just get video games in Smash I guess.

Being an older franchise does not make it any more of a legacy. That's the only thing it has over FF and CT. FF and CT are far more recognizable and popular. SE has made many attempt to introduce it to the west, but it hasn't really worked out

Again, being an older franchise does not make it a legacy. It is a series that is a legacy in Japan, but yet CT and FF became more well known and popular than DQ.

You are right about DQ coming first and leading the way for popular SE RPGs like FF and CT, so I'll give you that
For what it’s worth, Metroid and Castlevania are not popular in Japan, but nobody’s acting like they don’t deserve their place.

And again, it’s not being older that gives it its legacy. It’s the fact that it invented the RPG. Never mind having decades of sequels and spin-offs as its legacy; the entire JRPG genre is its legacy.

It’s like saying Brawl-era Fire Emblem didn’t have a legacy in making the SRPG genre, but when Awakening came out, oh now we acknowledge everything that happened before.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

But nobody really cares about this aside from the die hard fans of the franchise. If legacy is a major argument, that opens up a major can of worms. Why not Contra? Why not Ghouls N Ghosts? Why not Portal? Why not NIGHTS? Why not Halo? Why not Doom? Why not Ninja Gaiden? Why not Chrono Trigger? Why not Double Dragon? Why not Golden Axe? Why not Dragon's Lair? Why not King's Quest? Why not Banjo Kazooie? Why not Tetris? Why not Beyond Good and Evil? Why not Crash Bandicoot? Why not Resident Evil? Why not Silent Hill? Why not Joust? Why not Burger Time? Why not Dig Dug? See what I'm getting at? The "legacy" argument is not hard to make and encompasses a huge number of characters that people actually want in Smash. Like pointed out here, you could do it for SMRPG too based on timed hits, being the first Mario game with a real story and character arcs, and more or less being one of Yoko Shimomura's first iconic soundtracks but nobody really runs with the argument like they are for Dragon Quest. The reason for this is that this is the only way people can justify DQ while dancing around the blatant shilling aspect it. The main reaction will be apathy and indifference outside Japan and that's just the way it is.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229

People will always complain sadly.

I think there would be less backslash if they managed to make something truly unique with the DQ rep. I dunno , use the monsters , more magic , other weapons , that could make an interesting character.
I think the fact that Erdrick is another anime swordman annoy people directly. Especially with having 3 swordmans as DLC for Sm4sh , despise their differences. If they picked the DQ8 protagonist , who can use a lot of weapons , it would be a fun character. He can even have a team of monsters !

And DQ legendary status is pretty weird. It's over-all less popular than FF , but is way older and did a lot of things for RPGs. Sadly... Now , it's more like , there , for people not living in japan. Yeah , DQ11 seem to be quite popular... But the last big DQ game that everyone talked about? DQ8?

My problem is that it's a franchise really stuck in japan rn , and that despise how much the NES DQ games gave to RPGs as a whole... I think it kind of died down in a way. It's still kicking and all , but it isn't as big as it was before. It's crazy in Japan , but the only DQ games we got recently were 3DS ports and spin-off. DQ11 was a unique title since a while... DQ10 didn't leaved Japan , and this game got a Wii , Wii U and Switch edition.

D

Deleted member

But D&D wouldn’t exist without Tolkien, so let’s get the Tolks as DLC!

Or just get video games in Smash I guess.

For what it’s worth, Metroid and Castlevania are not popular in Japan, but nobody’s acting like they don’t deserve their place.

And again, it’s not being older that gives it its legacy. It’s the fact that it invented the RPG. Never mind having decades of sequels and spin-offs as its legacy; the entire JRPG genre is its legacy.

It’s like saying Brawl-era Fire Emblem didn’t have a legacy in making the SRPG genre, but when Awakening came out, oh now we acknowledge everything that happened before.
Castlevania is recognizable anywhere, and Metroid is one of the most popular Nintendo franchises. These aren't overwhelmingly popular in just one place. DQ is, and in Japan.

Fire Emblem became successful with one attempt. SE has tried multiple times to introduce DQ here.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
People will always complain sadly.

I think there would be less backslash if they managed to make something truly unique with the DQ rep. I dunno , use the monsters , more magic , other weapons , that could make an interesting character.
I think the fact that Erdrick is another anime swordman annoy people directly. Especially with having 3 swordmans as DLC for Sm4sh , despise their differences. If they picked the DQ8 protagonist , who can use a lot of weapons , it would be a fun character. He can even have a team of monsters !

And DQ legendary status is pretty weird. It's over-all less popular than FF , but is way older and did a lot of things for RPGs. Sadly... Now , it's more like , there , for people not living in japan. Yeah , DQ11 seem to be quite popular... But the last big DQ game that everyone talked about? DQ8?

My problem is that it's a franchise really stuck in japan rn , and that despise how much the NES DQ games gave to RPGs as a whole... I think it kind of died down in a way. It's still kicking and all , but it isn't as big as it was before. It's crazy in Japan , but the only DQ games we got recently were 3DS ports and spin-off. DQ11 was a unique title since a while... DQ10 didn't leaved Japan , and this game got a Wii , Wii U and Switch edition.
1 year is "Way older"? DQ only came out 1 year before FF

MattX20

Smash Hero
Been playing Ultimate, and have nearly gotten every single bit of content in the base game apart from two spirits. It's a lot of work.

Edit: make that 1 now.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
It may help if Sakurai chooses to take a break from FE inclusions for a while, IS doesn't give much for him to work with anyway.

Seriously, I know the character pool for FE is huge (not as much as Pokemon, but still pretty big), but any non-sword user is ignored so long as they aren't a Lord. If the franchise ended after Awakening, this wouldn't pose as much of a problem.
IS doesn't give him much to work with anyway? It's more "I'm only choosing the main protagoist" mentality that makes Sakurai limit himself so much. Not IS

Looma

Smash Journeyman
Legacy or not, DQ's protagonists are just wholly uninteresting. There's a very good reason Cloud was outperforming that entire franchise as far as Smash is concerned, despite being one of DQ's "babies".

Tetris has a bigger legacy than Dragon Quest can ever hope to achieve, being the puzzle game and bar none the best selling video game ever made. Why are people supporting characters from Puyo Puyo, Professor Layton, and Panel De Pon instead? Why has Tetris been relegated to two songs since Brawl instead of having a playable character? Because legacy =/= endearing characters, nor viable ones. Everyone seems to care more about a generic enemy from DQ than any of it's protagonists. Erdrick barely even has recognizability going for him!

I've also legit seen more unironic support for a Tetromino than anyone from Dragon Quest at that. Ouch.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
IS doesn't give him much to work with anyway? It's more "I'm only choosing the main protagoist" mentality that makes Sakurai limit himself so much. Not IS
Maybe Sakurai doesn't realise that people are tired of FE characters because most he picks use swords, and not just because there's too many.

Meanwhile, Lyn keeps being passed over, even though people actually want her.

Legacy or not, DQ's protagonists are just wholly uninteresting. There's a very good reason Cloud was outperforming that entire franchise as far as Smash is concerned, despite being one of DQ's "babies".

Tetris has a bigger legacy than Dragon Quest can ever hope to achieve, being the puzzle game and bar none the best selling video game ever made. Why are people supporting characters from Puyo Puyo, Professor Layton, and Panel De Pon instead? Why has Tetris been relegated to two songs since Brawl instead of having a playable character? Because legacy =/= endearing characters, nor viable ones. Everyone seems to care more about a generic enemy from DQ than any of it's protagonists. Erdrick barely even has recognizability going for him!

I've also legit seen more unironic support for a Tetromino than anyone from Dragon Quest at that. Ouch.
The Tetris Company has a huge stranglehold on their IP. So huge that Rayman Origins was going to have a Tetris-themed level, but got cut most likely because of that. If getting a SE character is damn-near impossible, getting major Tetris content is a tale of legends.

Regardless of anything, at least Erdrick has a damned shield, nobody besides any of the Links ever gets one.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Knowing that the game has updates, we could see a Smash Run, Smash Tour, Home-Run Contest, or a Break the Targets update for them to add in the game. Think about this: I know this is Microsoft, but the Master Chief Collection includes four Halo games that run at 60fps, and guess how much that was when it came out? $60. I doubt Nintendo would be evil enough to raise Ultimate's price up to $85... Even the Master Chief Collection has more than Smash Ultimate and costed the same amount when it came out, so I don't see it with Nintendo.
By $85 game I just meant the base game + fighter pass. There’s still fair market rate to take in mind that prevents games on their own right from being more than $59.99 at this very point in time.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Honestly, I don't even think Erdrick "steals" a spot from Geno, I'm mostly annoyed that we're getting a paid character with no personality that nobody asked for because Japan specifically is crazy about the franchise. He could be unique but with no personality and no readily available means to even play his specific game, I simply don't care. At least with Marth, he has specifically wanted for Melee but Japan can't even rally noticeable support for a single character in the billion dollar franchise that is Dragon Quest. That's one of the bigger reasons why this chaps my ass, others being Sugiyama and Toriyama being who there are. Virtually no Smash fans "skip" any of the DLC so it's almost like being forced to get it, especially if you are a competitor or even a TO.

Xigger

Smash Lord
Already said it but I'll say it again: copyright wise, Erdrick DLC is a train wreck with 5 IP shareholders.
Just wanted to quote Fatmanonice's dead-on statement. Sakurai recently brushed off anime characters for having too many copyright issues, and Dragon Quest is in the same boat.

I don't think we should be worried about what we've heard from leakers about DLC. Nothing's been right so far.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Just wanted to quote Fatmanonice's dead-on statement. Sakurai recently brushed off anime characters for having too many copyright issues, and Dragon Quest is in the same boat.

I don't think we should be worried about what we've heard from leakers about DLC. Nothing's been right so far.
Yeah. It's a plain text leak among the hundreds that came before. The one thing that makes it any different is mentioning Joker, just so it looks more convincing. It's not like the box theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom