• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Something we could do I don't think has been tackled in a long while is IF Geno gets in, what would his Palutena's Guidance be and who would be in it?

I don't have one, but will get back to it soon.
Tragically, the DLC characters are likely not gonna get one. But it is fun to come with what could have been.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Ugh.... I know they'd never do it, cause it would cost job's and everything and I understand, but I really wish that if Geno doesn't end up being the DLC, they'd let us know before the award's so I can at least not be disappointed. I'd rather be let down by someone who care's about Geno over cold unfeeling Square/Nintendo.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Something we could do I don't think has been tackled in a long while is IF Geno gets in, what would his Palutena's Guidance be and who would be in it?

I don't have one, but will get back to it soon.
I don't know about specific lines of dialogue but I'd think there'd be a reference to him serving a higher authority which in a way makes him like Pit. Maybe either Pit or Viridi saying something like "Whose idea was it to put guns in a doll?!".

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
What do you mean?
Wait u wot chief

Can you elaborate a bit? You know I'm stupid. What do you mean?
Well, why would they put on a list of serious candidate, 3 Characters from the same serie (Erdrick/Luminary (if it's indeed Eleven) and Slime)) and Crono who All have the same issue and copyright which are Square/Armor Project/Bird studio-

You would think that they would "diversify" their list more.

Which really makes me believe that the Toriyama's characters were actually perhaps discussed seriously, and perhaps why those names are a part of the one who's been heard the most

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Well, why would they put on a list of serious candidate, 3 Characters from the same serie (Erdrick/Luminary (if it's indeed Eleven) and Slime)) and Crono who All have the same issue and copyright which are Square/Armor Project/Bird studio-

You would think that they would "diversify" their list more.
Nekoo tell me in baby terms if this means they're more or less likely lol

EDIT: Going off my "it's really 4" thing, this is interesting, I get what you mean now.

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Nah, no one knows the Square-Enix rep as of now I think
The only thing I had was the 4 names I heard back in October/November being:
Geno/Sora/DQ hero (no game name) and Crono.
So you heard names floating around too?

Were you told not to take Geno seriously or Sora was for sure not in as well? (Like Vergeben?)

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Keeping this in mind, as I’ve stated before: What exactly would Sephiroth be cross promoting? The FFVII re-release on the switch? You already have Cloud, the protagonist of that game, heavily in smash? The FF Switch Releases? But isn’t...Cloud already taking that role? At least Cloud was not only cross promoting his series, but a new main FF installment.

Also note, most of Square’s cross promo guest characters are from Square games that are owned solely by Square with the exception of 2B. One of the few games with that distinction is FF, their flagship series. They broke their pattern with 2B, as you've mentioned, and also promoting an incredibly popular game.

But regarding Smash, since Cloud is already in, why would they put in ANOTHER FF character? It's not like it's more advantageous to the sales of FF if another FF rep of the same game came out as DLC promoting the same game and series as their rep already in the base game. It's already there. I don't see how people would see Sephiroth and be more inclined to buy FF as opposed to seeing Cloud. And now they have a "2B case", with a fan requested character they own on the table. And its not like theyd have to split it or negotiate with another company, similar to 2B, they would be splitting it with Nintendo, which is what they would've been doing already. Nintendo is also involved.
Actually what I was talking about at that moment, I was simply stating Square patterns. I was not saying they would choose Sephiroth. I do agree its unlikely they would put a second FF rep. That being said, FF is their biggest franchise. And they have constantly chosen to cross promote FF in other games. They may choose Sephiroth just because he is one of their most iconic villains/characters. In his own right Sephiroth is extremely popular, and has consistently placed among the top villains in gaming history in several polls. Im not saying it is Sephiroth, but I am also saying its possible it is him due to the fact it again shines light on the FF franchise, and most cross promoted picks are FF. If there is a new SMRPG that is being made that we don't know of, I can easily see Square choosing Geno as they get to cross promote off of him. Time will tell what happens, but I still think characters like DQ reps, Crono and even Sora are still in play, thats just my opinion though.

I feel similarly and I also agree that it is very possible the SE character is Sephiroth. I believe there are certain things against his inclusion as well. I guess my issue is that this is a Geno thread not a Sephiroth thread or a general SE thread. It oftentimes feels like (especially over the past two days now) that the thread has been co-opted by people who very obviously would prefer another character get in over Geno. I understand there is a relevant discussion to be had weighing Geno's chances against other characters. But at times it feels a little bit disingenuous that there are several people who very obviously would rather not have Geno in the game over certain other characters in a thread arguing for pages about the character they want's chances while implying they "totally support Geno too". Lettuce b cereal: Those people are in this thread because it's active as **** and where all the hot scoops. I get that. But for example, I don't see the Bandanna Dee thread filled with debates between Adeleine supporters and Bandanna Dee supporters despite her being a name being tossed around because she doesn't have a spirit. Nor are people letting the Sora thread know likely they think Geno is in comparison to Sora. It just feels inappropriate and weird at times considering this is still the Geno thread and not a more general discussion thread at least from my perspective.

I understand your frustration Datboigeno Datboigeno at the range of topics discussed in the Geno thread. I imagine before all the insider information was revealed this thread wasn't so scattered. That being said please understand due to insiders staying in this thread, and revealing most of their information in this thread. That will cause this thread to derail a lot. In reality its nobodies fault, its just a coincidence. However if other users are in here speaking of other SE characters in relation to Geno and overall chances, I don't think thats derailing the thread as it still pertains to what is going on. I do sympathize with you, but unfortunately I do not see this situation changing. Due to the fact that insiders tend to stay on this thread and post information on this thread, that naturally is going to draw eyes from other threads, and lead to debates that may go off topic from Geno. That is why DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon said there should be a new thread, where insider information would be said. So people wouldn't have to go on the Geno thread and derail it.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I am willing to believe Slime is just the guy being trolled. I think we leaped adding this character literally one guy has heard from one source to the list.
And Luminary can seemingly also describe Erdrick.

Sephiroth, Crono, Geno, Erdrick.

Crono and Erdrick are both designed by Toriyama, interestingly enough.

...oh no y'all don't think...

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Loading the list with Dragon Quest is something that always made me go hmm.

It could either show a real intent to add Dragon Quest or it could show an intent to use it as a way to throw people off the trail of the other potential reps because it's one of them.

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
I just want to hear from you guys about this hope i got and Polar Panda if your there I would like your input on this as well. Is there still hope for Isaac to make in as dlc if we wound up getting a wave 2 of dlc and possibly a new nintendo switch Golden Sun be it a remaster or the much awaited 4th entry? Whatever happens I will still gun for my golden boi no matter what, but just how good of chance do any of you think we golden sun fans have in the wake of the assist trophy?

paper roxy

Smash Ace
I am willing to believe Slime is just the guy being trolled. I think we leaped adding this character literally one guy has heard from one source to the list.

its goku time baby

D

Deleted member

I just want to hear from you guys about this hope i got and Polar Panda if your there I would like your input on this as well. Is there still hope for Isaac to make in as dlc if we wound up getting a wave 2 of dlc and possibly a new nintendo switch Golden Sun be it a remaster or the much awaited 4th entry? Whatever happens I will still gun for my golden boi no matter what, but just how good of chance do any of you think we golden sun fans have in the wake of the assist trophy?
It is Smash after all, perhaps the assist trophy character can't be playable rule could be broken in a potential wave 2 :) If they are doing assist trophy promotions in a potential wave 2, they would definitely start with Waluigi or Isaac, whoever is first, the other one is second, then Skull Kid, then Shadow, then Krystal

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Nekoo tell me in baby terms if this means they're more or less likely lol
I don't know just find it weird that:

>Erdrick/Slime/Luminary are all on that list.
>Crono too
> 4 out of 7 characters are designed by Toriyama
>4 out of 7 characters have copyright for Armor Project
>Erdrick/Luminary and Crono are part of the names heard the most so far by insiders.
>Slime is considered the less likely so far

It's nothing to say more or less likely, I just find it weird and something making me going "HMMMMMMMM"

Loading the list with Dragon Quest is something that always made me go hmm.

It could either show a real intent to add Dragon Quest or it could show an intent to use it as a way to throw people off the trail of the other potential reps because it's one of them.
Exactly, that's so weird. That's why this list is both stupid and genius. I hate it and love it.

So you heard names floating around too?

Were you told not to take Geno seriously or Sora was for sure not in as well? (Like Vergeben?)
Told that both Geno and Sora could be red-herring but not really any confirmation and my friends said it was just his guess from things he heard-
So nothing new-

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Polar Panda does not have additional information to provide. He has no information regarding Isaac or anything regarding a Wave 2. It might be best not to keep asking guys for information and instead just waiting for it to play out. Nobody knows for sure what is happening or has all the answers.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

>Crono too
>Erdrick/Luminary and Crono are part of the names heard the most so far by insiders.

It's nothing to say more or less likely, I just find it weird and something making me going "HMMMMMMMM"

Exactly, that's so weird. That's why this list is both stupid and genius. I hate it and love it.

Told that both Geno and Sora could be red-herring but not really any confirmation and my friends said it was just his guess from things he heard-
So nothing new-
So very tired of people GUESSING Geno may be fake.
I just want people to go outright "it's not him" like Sora and not then go minutes later "...in my opinion"
Nothing against your friend, just a trend I'm exhausted from.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Actually what I was talking about at that moment, I was simply stating Square patterns. I was not saying they would choose Sephiroth. I do agree its unlikely they would put a second FF rep. That being said, FF is their biggest franchise. And they have constantly chosen to cross promote FF in other games. They may choose Sephiroth just because he is one of their most iconic villains/characters. In his own right Sephiroth is extremely popular, and has consistently placed among the top villains in gaming history in several polls. Im not saying it is Sephiroth, but I am also saying its possible it is him due to the fact it again shines light on the FF franchise, and most cross promoted picks are FF. If there is a new SMRPG that is being made that we don't know of, I can easily see Square choosing Geno as they get to cross promote off of him. Time will tell what happens, but I still think characters like DQ reps, Crono and even Sora are still in play, thats just my opinion though.

I understand your frustration Datboigeno Datboigeno at the range of topics discussed in the Geno thread. I imagine before all the insider information was revealed this thread wasn't so scattered. That being said please understand due to insiders staying in this thread, and revealing most of their information in this thread. That will cause this thread to derail a lot. In reality its nobodies fault, its just a coincidence. However if other users are in here speaking of other SE characters in relation to Geno and overall chances, I don't think thats derailing the thread as it still pertains to what is going on. I do sympathize with you, but unfortunately I do not see this situation changing. Due to the fact that insiders tend to stay on this thread and post information on this thread, that naturally is going to draw eyes from other threads, and lead to debates that may go off topic from Geno. That is why DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon said there should be a new thread, where insider information would be said. So people wouldn't have to go on the Geno thread and derail it.
Yeah, I don't mean to or want to de-rail this thread, I just want to get more info on who the SE rep is, like all of us do. After we find out who the character is though, I probably won't be on this thread much. It's just, like you said, all the people with insider info are coming here to talk about it, so those of us who want Sephiroth or Erdrick or whoever will come here.

ShinyReshiram

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 2409 5852 0213

>Crono too

toriyama is the dlc babeeey

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Honestly, the fact that there so many DQ characters on that list (like maybe 2/3) and like 4/3 with a Toriyama Design is also suspicious in itself-
I agree as I told GoeGoe GoeGoe I think its very suspicious there are so many DQ reps on the list of SE reps. No other series has that many, so what makes DQ so special? Also the fact Erdrick and The Luminary are paired so often that Vergeben might think they are one character is suspicious. Why pair two characters together, unless one of them is real? I know DQ rights is a nightmare, but it makes sense Square and Nintendo might choose to go this route. After all DQ 11 and DQ builders 2 is coming to the Switch. And we know Square loves cross promotion, plus Nintendo would benefit from it too. The whole DQ thing is really odd. In some ways they are the most likely and in some ways they are the least likely, its a very interesting paradox.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Scared outta my ****in B O O T S

Looking back at the "2 went in for serious Squenix talks"

Looking back at the "Geno, Sephiroth, Erdrick, Crono" theory I made

Looking back at the "Erdrick and Crono = Toriyama"

I AM DYING! (I'm being overdramatic. Though this worries me a bit. It adds up real well.)

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I mean, I genuinely believe that Sora would absolutely Outsell Geno in the long run like 5 to 1, but please, don't hurt me :bobomb:
I mean, this isn't wrong, so nothing to apologize for. Totally ignoring your advice from earlier, how would you envision Sora to fight? What would be the things that set him apart from other characters?

Datboigeno

Smash Lord

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pkBDZ2DCvc

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Would absolutely love if a general SE thread was made so y’all can shout into a void about how popular Sora and Sephiroth are ad nauseam. I feel like we’re being punished because we’re the last massively fan requested character left

Pristine

Smash Cadet
Would absolutely love if a general SE thread was made so y’all can shout into a void about how popular Sora and Sephiroth are ad nauseam. I feel like we’re being punished because we’re the last massively fan requested character left
Uh, not really? You just choose to feel that way lol. And what's wrong with speculating here? Not like there's much to talk about anyway.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Uh, not really? You just choose to feel that way lol. And what's wrong with speculating here? Not like there's much to talk about anyway.
Should I at least acknowledge the feelings of the Geno fan in the Geno thread who has been putting up with weeks of Geno being put down in favor of 6 other guys in his own support thread?

No. It's the Geno fans who are wrong.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
There’s nothing wrong with speculating until we get to the point that Geno is barely talked about and when his chances are brought up people get angry that we think he has the best shot of all the SE guys. Just because we’re the largest of the last men standing here in the character speculation forum does not mean this becomes the General Discussion thread

Last edited:

Pristine

Smash Cadet
Should I at least acknowledge the feelings of the Geno fan in the Geno thread who has been putting up with weeks of Geno being put down in favor of 6 other guys in his own support thread?

No. It's the Geno fans who are wrong.
That doesn't mean that said Geno fan should be put on a pedestal just because of "home turf" or anything. And it's not really our fault that our picks are not nearly as demanded as Geno is. Part of the reason why the thread is exploding is because of everyone else converging here, so that's something to consider before taking personal feelings into play.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
There’s nothing wrong with speculating until we get to the point that Geno is barely talked about and when his chances are brought up people get angry that we think he has the best shot of all the SE guys. Just because we’re the largest of the last men standing here in the character speculation forum does not mean this becomes the General Discussion thread
True, but when the insiders are only talking in the Geno thread about who the SE character could be, the people who want their respective SE character will naturally come to this thread to get some insider info on who it might be

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
That doesn't mean that said Geno fan should be put on a pedestal just because of "home turf" or anything. And it's not really our fault that our picks are not nearly as demanded as Geno is. Part of the reason why the thread is exploding is because of everyone else converging here, so that's something to consider before taking personal feelings into play.
It's literally the home turf of Geno fans.
Like it's literally the support thread for Geno.
Sure, it's not your fault, but here's the thing; that's why this Squenix thread is being suggested. For people like you who want characters other than Geno. So you don't have to stay in the, y'know, Geno support thread.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Toriyama being mentioned a lot isn't that unusual. Three of the four are from the same franchise and it's SE's second biggest IP overall in Japan. Go to Japan, grab a random gamer by the ear and ask them which SE property would they expect next in Smash Bros and most would probably tell you Dragon Quest. If Japanese gamers were going to push rumors that would be most believable to each other, it would be that Dragon Quest was the next SE franchise in Smash. Go around a water cooler in Shinjuku, get the conversation going and this is probably where it would go. In their context, it'd be painfully obvious. They even describe a cultural event where people call off sick in droves whenever a new Dragon Quest game is released. It's a cultural titan. Suggesting anything else would seem stupid, even compared to something along the lines of Kingdom Hearts. Beyond that, are there really any super big SE franchises? Final Fantasy already has the check box checked so, within a Japanese cultural context, there's simply no argument that it would be DQ next. This argument, however, goes all Hinderberg outside Japan where it's sales usually range from okay to embarrassing.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I mean, this isn't wrong, so nothing to apologize for. Totally ignoring your advice from earlier, how would you envision Sora to fight? What would be the things that set him apart from other characters?
Whoa, feel weird to answer this here but, I guess I can quickly.
Unlike a lot of JRPG. Sora is mostly (like 90% of the time) the protagonist of his games, every games he just get more and more tools and gameplay element.
He would be some sort of Glasscanon Robin in simple terms.
A mage with tons of magic option, whenever it's from mirror, wind, time, fire, ice etc etc etc...
But he also have tons of physical skill, throw his Keyblade as projectile like K.Rool's crown or Simon's cross.

He could also have a Gimmick a la bayonetta for N-air/Jab where he get his famous three hit combo, with maybe adding the "dancing blade" effect of being able to change the finishing blow by tilting Up-down-neutral since "Finisher" are a big part of his game.

His glaring flaw would be extremely bad frame data on wiff, just like his game, in KH missing a hit is extremely punishing as you get in end-lag. And I don't mean "barely visible endlag with safe on shield wiff" like Bayonetta, I mean, actually slowing down. Wiffing a hit on nothing in KH takes time to recover.

The whole concept of the character would be a Fast-Glasscanon swordman who use his magic to keep distance until he can frametrap the opponent to to use his neutral combo to rack up damage-

I think I'll do it tomorrow, or if someone beat me to the punch they can do ahead, who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom