• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
If we don't get the DLC character at the VGA; I legit don't know if I have the energy in me to wait any longer...

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Have you guys ever imagined having the power of invisibility and being able to just walk into places where top secret gaming/movie stuff is going on and peek in to see what's actually happening or being planned and walk right out without anyone knowing? This is one of those situations I wish I had that ability.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
When you say Luminary, are you referring to the DQXI protagonist? Are you saying we might get a male/female Erdrick (which would be the same situation as Robin/Villager) and Erdrick with the Luminary alt (which would be the same situation as Olimar/Alph)?
Second option.

From the sounds of it, and the way people seems to get Erdrick/Luminary a good number of times, people think they might share a slot-

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Second option.

From the sounds of it, and the way people seems to get Erdrick/Luminary a good number of times, people think they might share a slot-
Erdrick and Luminary being a package thing is really messing with me.
Wish there were some good explanations as for why if they AREN'T our reps.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Have you guys ever imagined having the power of invisibility and being able to just walk into places where top secret gaming/movie stuff is going on and peek in to see what's actually happening or being planned and walk right out without anyone knowing? This is one of those situations I wish I had that ability.
Imagine the hell you would bring to leak stuff and all the higher ups are trying to figure out who talked?

The mayhem would be great.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Just use a Cartboard box and remember the base of CQC. It's the same magic power.

D

Deleted member

What are everyone's favorite video game music tracks?

Mine's the Grand Finale from M&L Bowser's Inside Story, Smiles and Tears from Earthbound, Goodbye Geno from Super Mario RPG, and Porky's Porkies and Porky's theme from Mother 3

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Imagine the hell you would bring to leak stuff and all the higher ups are trying to figure out who talked?

The mayhem would be great.
The only downside is that you know some random employee would get fired for it because there always has to be a fall guy.

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
If we don't get the DLC character at the VGA; I legit don't know if I have the energy in me to wait any longer...
You could play Smash Ultimate in the meantime; it does come out the next day.
Maybe send this guy?

The ol' Ask A Ninja guy, for those unfamiliar lol

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162

Mine's the Grand Finale from M&L Bowser's Inside Story, Smiles and Tears from Earthbound, Goodbye Geno from Super Mario RPG, and Porky's Porkies and Porky's theme from Mother 3
Goodbye Geno is one of my favorite.
I also really wish that if we get Remixes for SMRPG, we get a Remixes of Smithy's fight, it's pretty cool, and I generally love it...And I weirdly hate the hell out of the normal battle theme weirdly.

Ezclapper

Smash Apprentice
I'm really starting to doubt Leakypandy's credibility since he legit thought skull kid was gonna be a boss. If we get a TGA Smash announcement, I highly doubt it will be DQ since I honestly don't think a lot of people in the west are gonna find that iconic and I don't really see an announcement being a show stopper in the west.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
Alright, to switch gears, this doesn't make sense from a marketing standpoint. If the argument is more brand (Square Enix) recognition, Sephiroth doesn't achieve this. Sephiroth is isolated to Final Fantasy (along with Kingdom Hearts but, ya know, that Sora guy and all) which Cloud already represents. From this point of view, you're basically just going towards brand saturation, not expansion. Brand expansion would be promoting other series. Sephiroth is just more Final Fantasy. Square Enix is more than just Final Fantasy. From a marketing perspective, it's putting all your eggs in one basket. This philosophy can be theoretically seen with all the other third parties in Smash. Konami is Metal Gear and Castlevania. SEGA is Sonic and Bayonetta. Capcom is Megaman and Street Fighter. Even Pac-Man is a one man band because his moves represent more than 20 classic Namco arcade games altogether. By adding Sephiroth, under this train of thought, they're mostly just catering to Final Fantasy VII fans, a very specific demographic. They're not reaching across the aisle to anything new, just expanding on what's already established. This isn't a bad thing but if you have, for example, Capcom adding more Megaman and Street Fighter content to strengthen and expand their respective brands, Square Enix then has a lot of catching up to do.
Adding onto this, yeah, no 3rd party outside of echoes has a second rep for a particular series in Smash. Why would Square stick to FF, business wise? DQ would, at least, be promoting a recent game and a new franchise. Geno would at least, be a retro pick and be promoting a Nintendo game with characters owned by Square.

I see what you mean, but what exactly could Geno expand upon if he has, relatively speaking, no series and is practically at a dead end until further notice? It's not like SE has much of a choice either, (aside from DQ,) SE can't really promote anything due to legal ramifications they may not even want to bother with/as much as Sakurai wouldn't. They're practically forced to saturate FF out of all their franchise considering it's their biggest, possesses least legal ramifications, and has upcoming projects for arguably the most successful FF since everything else aside from Geno poses various conundrums. Otherwise yes, your point would have a near irrefutable premise.
He doesn't have to be a dead end character though. Theoretically speaking, the reason we havent seen Geno since SMRPG is presumably because of Square holding on to the rights of the character and/or Nintendo's lack of using the character in Mario titles after his debut. That's not to say they couldn't just start bringing Geno back into the fold, especially given is consistent and growing popularity. And Smash would be the perfect testing ground and springboard for that.

D

Deleted member

Goodbye Geno is one of my favorite.
I also really wish that if we get Remixes for SMRPG, we get a Remixes of Smithy's fight, it's pretty cool, and I generally love it...And I weirdly hate the hell out of the normal battle theme weirdly.
I really like Smithy's theme from SMRPG, and I agree that it would be a lot better in a remake

Pristine

Smash Cadet
Mario X Square is definitely a thing. Mario Hoops 3 on 3, Fortune Steet, Mario Sports Mix, for example. There's also the premise that Geno is technically a Mario character, Nintendo's flagship and most important series. As others have suggested in the past, brand expansion isn't just limited to individual franchises. Think of the big picture when it comes to Nintendo and Square Enix's relationship. You have things like Octopath Traveler. You have the mountain of SE games coming to the Switch. You have Final Fantasy on the NES Classic and SMRPG, Final Fantasy VI, and Secret of Mana (three IPs) on the SNES Classic. There's a bond there that other third party companies in Smash clearly have too. Look at Bomberman on the Switch and the Castlevania games on the NES and SNES Classic. Look at all the Street Fighter rereleases and remasters. Look at the bajillion Sonic and Megaman games on Nintendo platforms. Look at Bayonetta's exclusivity. Namco's literally the one developing Nintendo's biggest cross over game of all time. This is super significant because THIS DOES focus on the Square Enix brand as a whole.
I was referring to them not being able to promote much anything else aside from Geno, Sephiroth (and DQ if possible) Smash Ultimate DLC wise, as that is a totally different ballgame from standard, overall collaborations on things like Octopath Traveler since that involves MUCH more involvement from both SE and Nintendo, while with DLC, SE will apply it's own marketing tactic, which may involve supporting Sephiroth (therefore supporting their biggest IP, not just FF7, as a whole) or supporting Geno (therefore being able to reinstate Geno as a character ready for new projects and revive his series).

Outside DLC though, I do not deny that SE would have a relatively easy time making games with Nintendo, provided the games are OC like Octopath rather than having IPs like Cloud running around in a standard Nintendo game.

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Second option.

But the Luminary is just a title given to the DQ protagonist. The title of Luminary means the same thing as the title of Erdrick. They both essentially mean the same thing. And if the rumor that the DLC will be for characters created before 2014, the protagonist from DQXI couldn't be it, since that game came out last year in Japan

Last edited:

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
You know, even though we're all speculating on DLC and if there's gonna be an announcement at the Game Awards, none of it will matter come Friday. We'll have the game in our hands and I probably won't be back here until I'm sick of the game. That's a really cool thought to me, at least.

If not the Game Awards, I could see a January Direct revealing the first DLC character. We usually get a direct in January, so there's that possibility that would allow the base game to breathe a little bit before they go full steam ahead with announcing characters. Oh, and to hop on the topic of wanted/predictions for DLC:

Wants: Elma, Geno, Banjo-Kazooie, Bandana Waddle Dee, and Phoenix Wright
Predictions: Geno, Lloyd, Elma, Banjo-Kazooie (or Steve, potentially), and maybe some off-the-wall character like The Prince from Katamari?

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
But the Luminary is just a title given to the DQ protagonist. The title of Luminary means the same thing as the title of Erdrick. They both essentially mean the same thing. And if the rumor that the DLC will be for characters created before 2014, the protagonist from DQXI couldn't be it, since that game came out last year in Japan
Thing is he is the only DQ hero not to be called the hero.
He's exclusively the Luminary.
So.

D

Deleted member

Was bored earlier, did some things, yada yada.

Us when Geno gets revealed:
I'm crying already. I will cry if he comes because of how happy I would be and how nostalgic it would be, and I will cry if he doesn't make it, because of how much of a missed opportunity it would be

Datboigeno

Smash Lord

Storm Eagle from Megaman X, Fight Against an Armed Boss from SMRPG, Gangplank Galleon from DKC, Joe the Hero from Viewtiful Joe, Wanda Wanda from Katamari Damacy, the Main Theme from Croc: Legend of the Gobbos, and Precious Heart from Street Fighter EX plus Alpha.

AugustusB

Smash Champion

My dude, as a man who went to college for music, this is always a tough question!

I grew up with Final Fantasy and that is where most of my tracks will come from lol. However, I will omit those picks and give you 5.

1) Lost Odyssey - Parting Forever https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PxuRHGbg7A

2) Devil May Cry 3 - Final Vergil Battle https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmUpIuHqmzg

3) The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Hateno Village https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj07-YU5cTk

4) Persona 5 - Swear to my Bones https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj07-YU5cTk

5) Tales of Berseria - Magilou's Theme https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5JNqS2eiJo

Hope y'all enjoy!

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord

To just pick a track or so would be too difficult for me, though my favorite soundtracks gotta be all 3 Mother games, (I will say Battle with a Dangerous Foe is the best standard battle theme music and you can't change my mind), Pokemon Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald as well as Black and White and the first two Mystery Dungeon games, most of the main series Mega Man games, SMRPG, quite a few Sonic games, Chrono Trigger, and Undertale.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
You know. I'm feeling very bad for people who just want to talk about Geno.
I'm thinking about making a full "Square-Enix thread support" for the 7 characters and a summary of information we got so far-

Not forcing the leakers like PolarPanda to post there.
But just so the Geno fans can have a place to go back to their chill discussion, and have all SE nerd in another room, punished, without any dessert- :drsad:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I'm thinking about making a full "Square-Enix thread support" for the 7 characters and a summary of information we got so far-

But just so the Geno fans can have a place to go back to their chill discussion, and have all SE nerd in another room, punished, without any dessert- :drsad:
BUT NEKOO
DON'T YOU GET IT
A DQ REP WOULD AbSoLuTeLy OUTSELL GENO!!! SO HE ISN'T IN
LET ME EXPLAIN YOU A THING

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Thing is he is the only DQ hero not to be called the hero.
He's exclusively the Luminary.
So.
But the protagonist from DQII is also called the Luminary in the English translation. Also, one of the other people in this thread with inside sources said that the Luminary title is for Erdrick as well, iIrc.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427

Please do! I'd like to talk more about the possible reps without having to feel like I'm interfering with the talks of Geno

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
...actually I just had a realization.

We're all up in arms about 3 DQ characters.
Luminary and Erdrick being the same character? Means it's 2. Them and Slime.
Slime has been heard by literally one leaker.

With all this in mind, there's a decent chance "Luminary, Erdrick, and Slime" is...actually just Erdrick, but with 2 different names and Slime doesn't really exist.

EDIT: With all this in mind, it's kinda like...
Crono, Sephiroth, Geno, and Erdrick.

Which makes...a LOT more sense to me.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord

Woah woah let's not be inhumane here...

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Something we could do I don't think has been tackled in a long while is IF Geno gets in, what would his Palutena's Guidance be and who would be in it?

I don't have one, but will get back to it soon.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
...actually I just had a realization.

We're all up in arms about 3 DQ characters.
Luminary and Erdrick being the same character? Means it's 2. Them and Slime.
Slime has been heard by literally one leaker.

With all this in mind, there's a decent chance "Luminary, Erdrick, and Slime" is...actually just Erdrick, but with 2 different names and Slime doesn't really exist.

EDIT: With all this in mind, it's kinda like...
Crono, Sephiroth, Geno, and Erdrick.

Which makes...a LOT more sense to me.
Honestly, the fact that there so many DQ characters on that list (like maybe 2/3) and like 4/3 with a Toriyama Design is also suspicious in itself-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom