• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
While Geno isnt as popular as Sora, I still think he represents a major part of the mario series history that hasnt been even touched yet. He kind of represents the whole Rpg path mario went down for awhile, including both paper mario games. A timed hit mechanic would be cool. Although, Im hoping we dont get a megaman clone in terms of his regular A attack being projectiles. I think he could end up being a very unique fighter.

*When everything is done tho, Im really curious to know what became the deciding factor for the square rep. Because I could definitely see Nintendo wanting Sora out of everybody. DQ has more history as a series, but KH has had more than enough titles on nintendo consoles to at least make sense.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Good night. I hope we didn't upset you in any way by sharing our thoughts on the SE character, and I wish the best of luck to all of us for the character we want. No matter who is chosen though, it'll still be a great game that we'll all enjoy
Bless ya my guy, thank you, no offence taken! Now I actually sleep, lol

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I love Geno's Legacy XP moveset, it encapsulates the character perfectly.

Side note, most of you probably know this as fellow Geno fans, but did you know that Geno Beam is glitched in SMRPG? Holding Y does not actually boost its damage, but rather tapping it once like a timed hit. It's a really weird design oversight. https://www.mariowiki.com/Geno_Beam
And here I went through the whole game thinking I was nailing Geno Beam like a boss. Now I feel like a chump.

valkiriforce

Smash Ace

Side note, most of you probably know this as fellow Geno fans, but did you know that Geno Beam is glitched in SMRPG? Holding Y does not actually boost its damage, but rather tapping it once like a timed hit. It's a really weird design oversight. https://www.mariowiki.com/Geno_Beam
Wow...I honestly did not know that. Very interesting.

paper roxy

Smash Ace

im pretty sure youre actually supposed to hold when it tells you to but release when the third star comes up

AugustusB

Smash Champion
OK I have my Palutena's Guidance ready! Stage...Lights....ACTION!

Pit: Ummm Lady Palutena...why is this puppet moving? Its freaking me out!

Palutena: That is no ordinary doll, Pit. That's Geno. The doll isn't really his own body, it is inhabited by his true form, a Star Spirit from Star Road.

Pit: Uuuuh...Star Road? Where have I heard that before...?

Viridi: You mean to tell me this guy is from THE Star Road? Maybe he knows Mario?

Palutena: Well you're not too far off. His mission was to restore the then broken Star Road. He met Mario and they both saved the Mushroom Kingdom from the evil Smithy a long time ago.

Pit: Wow...so is he a big deal? He is just made of wood right? How bad can this doll be?

Palutena: Don't underestimate Geno, Pit. He has incredible star power hidden in himself. I would especially stay away from his Geno Whirl attack. If he times his hit just right, you may take some serious damage.

Pit: Alright then! I am not afraid of you! I serve...a higher authority!

Palutena: *Audible Sigh*

Last edited:

Krooli

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
3332 7619 1413
I’ve been here for less than a week and IIRC we already went through 40 pages Damn.

Anyways for Geno’s moveset?

Up-B: Geno turns into a cannon like when he uses Geno Flash and shoots in whichever direction you’re inputting. Kinda like a better Ridley up-b except different animations.

Down-B: Geno uses Geno boost and strengthes his next attack by 1.2x if you were to time it correctly it boosts it by 1.5x instead.

Side-B: Geno uses Geno whirl and if you time it correctly the attack does 1.2x damage

Neutral-B: Geno Charges up a blast and does Geno Beam again if you time it correctly the attack does 1.2x the damage.

Final Smash: Calls in Mallow and double teams whoever gets caught in his final smash.

And for my favorite Video game soundtracks/Songs?

Crocodile Cacophony - DKC2

Welcome to Crocodile isle - DKC2

Beware the forest’s mushrooms - SMRPG

Gangplank Galleon - Smash Ultimate Remix

Greenhorn forest - Wario World

Body Rock - Warioware: Gold

Anyways with that said, Goodnight Genobros and others! Hopefully tomorrow good news comes out for our Doll Boy Geno!

AugustusB

Smash Champion
So this doesn't look like it will be a big patch, but I am curious what it will be.

One hope is a Spirit's name gets changed a little bit...You know what I mean :D

GrungeMan

Smash Apprentice
Long post, but just getting out some random thoughts...

After sticking with this thread and doing a little of my own research on copyrights, I just don't really feel confident in a DQ rep as DLC... and by extension Crono as well.

I know these points have been covered a lot, but I just don't think we should understate Sakurai's own comments on the difficulty involved in securing character rights. Sakurai gives off the impression that completing a new smash entry is a mini-miricale in itself AND that's taking into consideration companies that, to us, appear to love having their IP in smash. So what then for companies like Square?

Again, this has been said repeatedly, but Geno is the low hanging fruit of those 7 Squeenix charaters (as I'm sure Fatmanonice's mega post will detail).

The door is already open to Sephiroth considering FF7 is already a represented franchise, so I always thought him and Zach Fair (Cloud echo) had a chance.

After Sephiroth, (and insider information aside) I had for a while considered Neku and Agnes as strong competitors. Mainly because they're 100% owned by Square and are largely associated with Nintendo, with the former actually having more fan support than Sephiroth in my opinion (and definitely more than Erdrick).

Issues for copyright lawyers to hash out and proportion of profit acquired by Square will decide the character (along with hopefully some pressure from Sakurai and Nintendo to choose Geno of course).

Geno, Sephiroth, Crono, and Erdrick can all sell an equal amount of passes, but which ones yield the greatest proportion of profit to Square when all else is held equal? My guess is Geno and Sephiroth (as well as Agnes and Neku). So I actually kind of think the "2 finalists" rumor is pretty realistic.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
So this doesn't look like it will be a big patch, but I am curious what it will be.

One hope is a Spirit's name gets changed a little bit...You know what I mean :D
It took my Switch about 8 minutes to install, so it’s not too big. Hmmm I wonder what it is?

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
This seems way too weird. 400MB for 5 new images?
I think there may have been files that substituted older files
Is there any way of asking this to the dataminers?

AugustusB

Smash Champion
It took my Switch about 8 minutes to install, so it’s not too big. Hmmm I wonder what it is?
My guess is minor adjustments to stages and I would not be surprised if some Spirits got a add on to their name.

My personal hope is Geno's spirit is updated to Geno (Classic) just to throw some wrenches into peoples thought process.

That of course IF Geno is DLC lol

Last edited:

GrungeMan

Smash Apprentice
What are everyone's favorite video game music tracks?
DKC2. I've been away from gaming in general for nearly 10 years with the exception of Smash and occasionally Pokemon. When K. Rool was revealed I thought I check out some music from DKC2 (it had been forever since I had played the game or heard any tracks not in Smash). I teared up on the first track and in the next 30 minutes had let out my fair share of manly tears lol. I really wasn't expecting that, but I do have a very deep connection to that game and SMRPG's OST.

Now my wife is playing DKC2 with me and she's actually pretty good! We're about to beat the Crocodile Cauldron world which has some of the best tracks.

Beware the Forest Mushrooms hits me in the feels every time. It may not be his actual "theme" song, but I have this theory that being associated so deeply with this song has kind of helped Geno support last as long as it has since it just gives Geno another cool thing to love about him.

Last edited:

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
Pretty sure the Pokey one is fake.

Also his name is Porky now. Pokey will never return
Now that you mention, yeah, anybody can make a mbst edit so that catch me offguard.
It isn't like, and since the rest of spirits are related with new games, we're gonna get a new Mother game or a remastered one.
Don't spread fake images
Gomen Gomen. My bad. It was cool tho.

Last edited:

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
What are everyone's favorite video game music tracks?
Where do I start? Some songs that I love have been bolstered by the fan remixes alone.

I generally love all the music from Sonic, yes, even the butt-rock ( scratch that. ESPECIALLY the Butt Rock ). Though none of it has been particularly memorable for me after Generations. Still, you can put on any track from a Sonic game and it's like a 95% percent chance it'll be a banger that I would have no problems letting it play the full thing.

Punch-Out for the NES and Wii has one of my all time favorite tunes in the form of it's fight theme, even if it is a pretty short loop. Fans have lengthened it up a lot in their remixes by including the knock down theme, the equally excellent jogging theme, and other jingles from the game and a little bit of their own freestyle... the amount of remixes I used to have of this song got a little out of hand for a while.

All of the Donkey Kong Country stuff is amazing, David Wise sure made some beautiful music for a funny monkey game. Gang Plank Galleon is a real standout for me. I'm glad we got such an amazing remix in Ultimate. The Brawl remix was pretty lacking imo.

Ahh I could yammer on for hours about video game music that I like but that would make this post unmercifully long, so i'll stop there.

Last edited:

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
If Geno gets revealed at the VGA, or revealed at all, I'm going to be playing this.
I suggest you all do the same.
I also hope to see this play at the 2019 Super Bowl.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Now that you mention, yeah, anybody can make a mbst edit so that catch me offguard.
It isn't like, and since the rest of spirits are related with new games, we're gonna get a new Mother game or a remastered one.

Gomen Gomen. My bad. It was cool tho.
The Pokey spirit is fake
https://pastebin.com/1k6M84ie

EDIT: I said this after using Crtl F and searching Pokey and Porky. After searching for Geno it gave me no results. Weird as heck

Last edited:

paper roxy

Smash Ace
as a musician i might as well talk about my favorite game music. in terms of overall music ive been super into la danse macabre (lich yard) from shovel knight, practically all of mother 3's ost (mainly all of the different tazmily and pigmask themes), some underatle tracks (battle against a true hero), literally all of super paper mario's ost, and some tracks from mario rpg like barrel volcano. recently ive been getting really into deltarune's ost (world revolving is a ****ing bop) and i find myself listening to a lot of megaman 2's soundtrack again (mainly airman and metalmans themes)

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
If Geno gets revealed at the VGA, or revealed at all, I'm going to be playing this.
I suggest you all do the same.
I also hope to see this play at the 2019 Super Bowl.

If Geno is revealed, I'll start a new file of SMRPG right then and there
...or I'd like to, but maybe not a great idea to start an RPG the night before Smash.
But once the Smash hype winds down, I'd totally start a new run of SMRPG, plus every other game with one of my fave newcomers.

GrungeMan

Smash Apprentice
as a musician i might as well talk about my favorite game music. in terms of overall music ive been super into la danse macabre (lich yard) from shovel knight, practically all of mother 3's ost (mainly all of the different tazmily and pigmask themes), some underatle tracks (battle against a true hero), literally all of super paper mario's ost, and some tracks from mario rpg like barrel volcano. recently ive been getting really into deltarune's ost (world revolving is a ****ing bop) and i find myself listening to a lot of megaman 2's soundtrack again (mainly airman and metalmans themes)
I forgot all about the early Megaman OSTs. I LOVE the tracks for Megaman 2-4 specifically!

Necro Toad

Smash Apprentice
I think we are all forgetting how Square operates, they operate based on which character makes them the most revenue. They have worked with Platinum games to put 2B in Soul Calibur 6, despite having to deal with another company. We have to keep in mind in order for this to happen Bandai Namco had to deal with both Square and Platinum Games. This is a similar situation many of the S-E characters in question are in.

Also lets count how many times Square has cross promoted FF. 1) Cloud Smash Wii U, 2) Ardyn & Bahamut Assasins Creed Origins, 3) Noctis Tekken 7, 4) Behemoth Monster Hunter World

Out of all the recent cross promotions the only one that isn't FF related is 2B is Soul Calibur 6. That really says a lot on how the company operates. They choose constantly to push their most popular and most profitable franchise. This is not a coincidence and the fact they allowed 2B in Soul Calibur 6 is not either. 2B was one of the most fan requested characters for Soul Calibur, Square saw this and noticed they could cross promote off of her and so they put her in. Yes it did appease the fans, but more importantly it gave something in return to Square Enix the thing they love so much, cross promotion. You might say well Cloud did not cross promote, and Sakurai chose him not Square. To that you are correct, to an extent. When commenting which Square characters they might have chosen Sakurai mentions Terra and Bartz. Nomura states Strago would be good too, this is yet another FF character. Sakurai then mentions Fusuya, all of these characters mentioned are FF characters, they are not from Square's lesser known properties. So keep in mind Sakurai chose the FF character, this does not mean he chose Cloud from a General list of Square characters. He was allowed to choose an FF character and thats that. We see through this Square sets parameters on who can be chosen, and they are related to areas they can cross promote. Also yes Cloud did cross promote, he cross promoted the FF franchise and FF14 that was released since 2010 and has had expansions to the our current date. Also FF15 would be released less than one year later after Cloud's release date.

We can see in all these business patterns, Square thinks ahead. They find ways to make the most money, and they will jump through hoops if its means they will make more money.
Hi A.G.L. A.G.L. I don't know you but your post is very logical and interesting and I liked it a lot! I used to think that Geno was against the odds but now I believe he has great chances. So, I decided to reply with a few thoughts that I already had in my mind and others that came after reading your post, to show you why I changed my mind.
I'll reply in a list of bullets to separate the subjects. I know my post is big and I can be verbose because english is not my main language, but I would appreciate if you read it.
1- I think that you are forgetting how Nintendo/Sakurai chose the DLCs. Sakurai/Nintendo don't chose a company and than a character, they only chose a character. That means that Nintendo did not say "Hey I want a Square Rep" and than Square choose the better character for revenue purpose. Sakurai/Nintendo chosed the character "X" from nitnendo's list and happened that the character was from Square, than the say "Square can we use X?" if the answer was Yes than we have a Square Rep. If not than we don't have it. I agree that when it comes to a FF rep, maybe Sakurai/Nintendo only wanted a FF character and Square choosed the character, but when it comes from a lot of different IPs, character, target audiences, etc. I think that Sakurai/Nintendo already choose what they want before meeting with Square.
2- I don't think that Square care that much about SSB and it's profit opportunities, because If they did, they could use more aggressive approaches putting more musics in the game, more characters and even selling their DLC at a higher price. Square knows how to be megalomaniac when they truly believe in something.
3- One thing and probably is the most important one in my post is the fact that Geno and Chocobo were chosen for the Cloud's DLC. Mii Costumes and it's possibilities are strong point to raise sales for DLCs in Smash4. And for some unkown reason Geno was chosed. At that time I thought Mii customes would be DQ, KH, Chrono Trigger, etc. I never imagined that Square's only IP in the game besides the FF would be the SMRPG. But for some reason Nintendo and Square talked looking to DLC's sales, game promotion, etc and concluded that the better character to stay at Cloud's side was Geno! This is a miracle in my opinion but it show us that maybe Geno has very strong points that could be enough to Square and Nintendo make he as an unique character happen!
4- Sephiroth was a huge "against argument": Now that we don't have Mii Costumes on the DLCs anymore (at least for what we know), musics and stages became more important (to justify the price in relation to the other DLCs). We already have a FFVII stage and this could make Sephiroth's stage less than a "must have". Apparently Nintendo canoot find a way to put more Square content in the game. All of this makes me think that having a lot of FFVII musics in the game is unlikely and without a unique stage the only thing that this DLC has is Sephiroth itself, what could be a problematic strategy and could make people prioritize other DLCs (fighters).
5- DQ also has a strategy issue: Putting a DQ character in the base game could be good and make the game has more appeal to Japan. But when we talk about DLCs, it's like a new product itself, what means that it have to sell well by itself. That means that outside of japan people could prioritize other DLCs than Square's, what is bad for Square, of course! DQ only aim for Japan while the others DLCs could aim for the entire world!
6- When we talk about Sora, I don't think that Nintendo would like to promote a character from a game that is going to be released close to Smash but is exclusive to PS4 and Xbox One. I mean, Nintendo would not want to risk losing Smash players (who pay Switch Online) for another console because of KH3.
7- As showed with King K Rool and Ridley, Nintendo care and aims to satisfy old hardcore fans (after all this generates news about the game and help promote it). If for some reason they are not able to get Banjo, and considering all the ATs unconfirmed, Geno may be one of the last options for Nintendo to satisfy old hardcore fans with DLCs.
Also, as sad before, I believe that DQ, Sephiroth and Sora will not be chosen, and with an unpopular old-school character against another unpopular old-school character, Geno has more chances due to the SMRPG port on SnesMini agains the lack of attention that Square showed with Chrono Trigger's recent ports (PC/Mobile).
And, of course, Geno has a stronger fanbase than Crono
Thanks for reading, It's really cool when this thread can have smart discussions and yours is for sure one of them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom