• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
You know what guys I was nothing but polite, informative, and courteous with that post, and degrading it like this is really uncalled for.

But ****posting aside SE likely has objective data given to them by Nintendo that shows that people want Geno in Smash through the ballot, online polls, and sales from his costume. People are making really big assumptions that Sephiroth would somehow be a huge money maker when compared to Geno and I don't honestly buy it. FF7 came out almost 20 years ago. He's shown up in a bunch of things since then but let's not act like he has the same level of popularity he had in the 2000s. People call Geno and Banjo boomer nostalgia picks, but there's a reason why Sakurai was suggested Lightning over Cloud for Smash 4. I'm not going to make a dumb statement that Geno has more mainstream popularity in total than Seph but there's no actual data that points to people really wanting specifically Seph in Smash on the level of Geno. Sora you could make that argument because he actually has placed in polls in whatnot and is more of a current character. SE obviously knows Seph is popular in the mainstream but I don't think they're necessarily blind to other factors regarding popularity and what may actually sell.
Having my own words defending a friend used as a ****post by a fellow Geno lover...yowch.

beans

Smash Lord
You know what guys I was nothing but polite, informative, and courteous with that post, and degrading it like this is really uncalled for.

But ****posting aside SE likely has objective data given to them by Nintendo that shows that people want Geno in Smash through the ballot, online polls, and sales from his costume. People are making really big assumptions that Sephiroth would somehow be a huge money maker when compared to Geno and I don't honestly buy it. FF7 came out almost 20 years ago. He's shown up in a bunch of things since then but let's not act like he has the same level of popularity he had in the 2000s. People call Geno and Banjo boomer nostalgia picks, but there's a reason why Sakurai was suggested Lightning over Cloud for Smash 4. I'm not going to make a dumb statement that Geno has more mainstream popularity in total than Seph but there's no actual data that points to people really wanting specifically Seph in Smash on the level of Geno. Sora you could make that argument because he actually has placed in polls in whatnot and is more of a current character. SE obviously knows Seph is popular in the mainstream but I don't think they're necessarily blind to other factors regarding popularity and what may actually sell.
Its SE.
There is a little clause in contracts that all workers need to do: "Shill FF7 whenever you can"
It's the safest move
i'd bet they would call spirits within a ff7 movie if the didnt know it was ****

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace

Hey dude. Don't take it personally.
It's in fun spirit. I respect you. Hope we all have a good sense of humor.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
While I'll give you many of your points, I don't think Sakurai was only restricted to FF properties in his negotiations--more that he specifically went to them for FF. I personally am not one of the people who thinks he went to them for Geno and got Cloud instead. I think he went there FOR FF, as it was a huge franchise he wanted to try and represent in Smash, and he brought up Geno while there. Best case scenario, he went there for both Geno and Cloud.

But my point is that I don't think other properties are quite as "off the table" as you are making them seem. Yes, there is a pattern there, but that doesn't mean it can't change--2B already proved it can. And if anyone can change it, it's Sakurai. As I've said before, I wouldn't underestimate Smash's power as a bargaining chip--even a company as greedy and possessive as Square has to see it would be stupid not to bend and put some DLC out there from whoever Sakurai asks for. Even if they get an eighth of the sales of Smash for their character, that'll still be a fortune. Cross promotion be damned, that's nothing to turn your nose up to.

The question here, I will say for the hundredth time, is if Nintendo and Sakurai want a character in Smash. That has to come first. Quite personally, I think they can make anything they want to happen, if they're determined enough. I mean, that's why Everyone is Here happened.

It's also worth noting...Geno IS an immensely requested character. I can't say if he's a popular as 2B, but surely he's popular enough to get Square's attention. He will sell, and they have to know that.
Oh I absolutely agree Square can change their pattern, nothing is set in stone. I completely agree its possible Square will choose the fan favorite character that may not offer cross promotion. I am simply stating what I have seen them do in the past, but that does not mean theres not a chance they could change their ways. When I try to analyze this I try to analyze it in all types of situations, the reason I bring up Square seeking mostly profits is because they have shown this to be their consistent pattern. However as we know in life, things change and people can be unpredictable. So its also possible that Square will change how they do business. We have seen companies breaking the mold of how they did buisness more and more. I mean who would have thought you would see Akuma, Heihachi, Geese, Negan and Noctis all in one game? Cross overs are becoming more and more a common thing, so I also can see Square choosing to go the fan route. I try my best to see all the possibilities a company will do and then narrow it down to the most likely one, but that does not mean it won't be wrong :).

Also thank you for encouraging politeness its always refreshing to see.

Pristine

Smash Cadet
i cant get the argument for sephiroth cross promoting when cloud would already be promoting ff7. doubt nintendo would let square get 2 characters just to promote one game
Well it's like A.G.L said, essentially, Square loves flexing their "big name" IPs, like 2B, Noctis, Cloud, etc, sometimes that even goes above their love of money (considering the fact that Tomb Raider outsold FFVII yet has absolutely no content in Smash.) Sephiroth is quite precious to them (as he is to a few of us), so that's one way to interpret the argument.

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
I am wondering though what would make Nintendo of Japan pick Sephiroth if it did indeed come to that. No offense but I have no attachment to the character, and he hasn't to my knowledge been on a Nintendo console yet. I am curious to play FF7 for the first time on the Switch since I've heard so much about it after decades and I have yet to even touch the game. So I don't mean to close him out completely, however it would seem kind of deterring as a fan of Nintendo to get another character from a game that debuted on the PlayStation when a lot of us are still waiting on other Nintendo characters to have prominence in Smash. Also, we can't forget that Sakurai is the one who specifically requests characters, and I don't think Square would press their own agenda on someone else's game. I know others have mentioned it sevenfold but it still comes down to who Nintendo and Sakurai would like to feature in their own title.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583

Well said, man. I feel this way too. Patterns are one thing, but there is some common business sense that has to factor in as well. Sakurai saying "we want your character for Smash DLC!" is like waving millions of dollars in someone's face--it's silly to just walk away from that based on losing the chance for cross promotion (in and of itself a way to make money.) And if what I'm hearing about Square's financial situation is true, they really shouldn't be choosers in this scenario.

...granted, it was presumedly poor business decisions that got them there in the first place. Maybe they just are that stupid, lol. But if Konami can change even a little bit, why not Square?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Hold it.

> Mario is a big name IP

> Geno is a Mario character

We're getting Geno in Smash along with a new Fortune Street ft. Geno.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Well said, man. I feel this way too. Patterns are one thing, but there is some common business sense that has to factor in as well. Sakurai saying "we want your character for Smash DLC!" is like waving millions of dollars in someone's face--it's silly to just walk away from that based on losing the chance for cross promotion (in and of itself a way to make money.) And if what I'm hearing about Square's financial situation is true, they really shouldn't be choosers in this scenario.

...granted, it was presumedly poor business decisions that got them there in the first place. Maybe they just are that stupid, lol. But if Konami can change even a little bit, why not Square?
Square-Enix are fine Financially. The """""loss"""" that everyone reported, without looking at it 5 second and read the files was because theu are literally putting more money into AAA games development, studio restructuration, and the Marketing for KHIII.

I fail to see what's so bad about it.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
The fact that Squenix didn't even offer FF7 is interesting to me.

We often forget Sakurai himself went up and asked for FF7. And they even went "are you sure about this?" and offered Lightning.

Makes me wonder if they'd be so willing for ANOTHER FF7 rep specifically.
exactly how i was feeling about this
Hold it.

> Mario is a big name IP

> Geno is a Mario character

We're getting Geno in Smash along with a new Fortune Street ft. Geno.
mario kart 8 deluxe geno dlc

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Square-Enix are fine Financially. The """""loss"""" that everyone reported, without looking at it 5 second and read the files was because theu are literally putting more money into AAA games development, studio restructuration, and the Marketing for KHIII.

I fail to see what's so bad about it.
I don't think so exactly.

I'm reading this and it's telling a similar but different story. They are indeed restructing and developing more AAA stuff, but are plain out losing money too.

Pristine

Smash Cadet

We often forget Sakurai himself went up and asked for FF7. And they even went "are you sure about this?" and offered Lightning.

Lightning was all hype tbh. Possibly after seeing how bad that game turned out, they changed their marketing tactics. Or else I'm pretty sure Noctis would be a viable contender and maybe one of "the 7 names" instead of Sephiroth but in recent light of things, FFXV isn't looking too good therefore no "c'mon, wouldn't you rather have Noctis?"

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162

They didn't offer anything else at all.
Sakurai went and asked for Cloud and no one.
They were all shocked that he asked for Cloud and though he would asks for a more recent characters.

That's the story-

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Oh, I wasn't saying Geno wouldn't sell, or not. I genuinely think ALL DLC will sell a ****tons.
But if Square, who, I HAVE TO REMIND YOU, are Square-Enix, kinda like, EA tiers when it comes to be a ****-up, feels money's elsewhere, they're going for the gold bar than gold nuggets.
But see that's what I was getting at. I don't necessarily buy that Sephiroth is a gold bar next to Geno's gold nugget in the context of Smash specifically. Here's a hypothetical example: Let's say Disney decided they wanted to appeal to the epic gamer demographic and made a deal with Nintendo to have either Sora or Mickey Mouse be a DLC character. Mickey Mouse is arguably one of the most popular fictional characters of all time. He has huge mainstream popularity. Will people specifically go out and buy Switches and SSBU for Mickey Mouse in a way that would vastly surpass Sora relative to his popularity? I really don't think so. Because people have been literally been begging for Sora in Smash for years. And what I'm saying is that SE must know on a certain level that just because a character has popularity in a broad sense doesn't mean they have appeal to the demographic that is actually going to be buying Smash.

Having my own words defending a friend used as a ****post by a fellow Geno lover...yowch.
lol It's just banter, m8

Hey dude. Don't take it personally.
It's in fun spirit. I respect you. Hope we all have a good sense of humor.
I was having fun too. That's why I restated Luigi The President Luigi The President 's post to me.

Last edited:

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Oh I absolutely agree Square can change their pattern, nothing is set in stone. I completely agree its possible Square will choose the fan favorite character that may not offer cross promotion. I am simply stating what I have seen them do in the past, but that does not mean theres not a chance they could change their ways. When I try to analyze this I try to analyze it in all types of situations, the reason I bring up Square seeking mostly profits is because they have shown this to be their consistent pattern. However as we know in life, things change and people can be unpredictable. So its also possible that Square will change how they do business. We have seen companies breaking the mold of how they did buisness more and more. I mean who would have thought you would see Akuma, Heihachi, Geese, Negan and Noctis all in one game? Cross overs are becoming more and more a common thing, so I also can see Square choosing to go the fan route. I try my best to see all the possibilities a company will do and then narrow it down to the most likely one, but that does not mean it won't be wrong :).

Also thank you for encouraging politeness its always refreshing to see.
Thank you! And I appreciate your input and respectfulness as well.:) It would of course be a bad idea to imagine Square doesn't love cold hard cash, lol. They're definitely a wildcard in this...It's hard to say what they will do. Honestly, it's hard to say what anyone will do, given Piranha Plant and Konami's sudden generosity. It's a difficult time to be a Smash speculator, lol. Difficult, but fun.

I do wish one of our favorite characters wasn't in the hands of such a wildcard company, though. That would help ease my concerns...

Last edited:

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896

Datboigeno Datboigeno I recognize you and I see things differently, and thats ok we are different people. I want to say that I think the way you defend Geno is admirable. It must not be easy when people are shooting down your most wanted character.

So I will say that despite all the logic we have thrown around, it is very possible it is Geno. I myself have stated many times that for the sake of Geno fans and their loyalty I hope Geno is in. While its true, many factors are against Geno. We live in a world where Ryu, Cloud, Sonic, Pacman, Megaman, Mario, and Snake are all in the same game. If I had to go back in time and tell myself this during the Melee era I wouldn't have believed it. Its true I have stated facts against Geno, but that is not because I am personally against his inclusion. I simply try to state things from a logical non wishful perspective, otherwise I would be saying Noctis is the character we are going to get. All that said, despite things looking against Geno, I agree with you it is possible he is the one Square will choose, we will just have to wait and see. And for the sake of Geno fans who have been loyal to the character I hope they do get their wish.

Wazygoose

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AppleJackSix
Ideal DLC:

1. Geno
2. Master Chief
3. New Legend of Zelda rep or costumes
4. Shantae
5. Banjo (I don’t like Banjo but it would make a lot of people happy)
6. Leon Kennedy

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Which is normal to happens when you restructure multiple studio.

However, yeah. Tomb Raider ****ed up and sucked ass hard. They were expecting it to work, but they're basically releasing the same dish for the third times now. People have enough. Which is a big reason of the loss too alongside other medium like mobile and **** working less than last year.

Don't worry, KH III Will happens, and save their asses.
Again.
Like literally any games produced/Directed by Nomura for the past 10 years.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

However, yeah. Tomb Raider ****ed up and sucked *** hard. They were expecting it to work, but they're basically releasing the same dish for the third times now. People have enough.
Don't worry, KH III Will happens, and save their *****.
Again.
Except it was declines across the entire board. Blatant profit losses.

You're obviously a smarter guy then me Nek. I'm just a bit confused.
Either way, they're losing a lot of cash, yeah?

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace

EDIT: This isn't exactly true! They were hesitant, but did not outright offer others.
They would for two reasons.
The first, I admit this is speculation, but I think Cloud was also put in Smash extra officially as a measure to get the newer Nintendo fanbase to get used with the FFVII franchise and imagery, as they planned to get closer as companies in the future. Assuming FFVIIRemake for Switch is the product of this approach by Sakurai seems like it would be interesting to expand the current content of the franchise in Smash.
The second is, as mentioned previously, FFVII Remake is actually on the horizon. S-E said PR will focus on the game after KHIII launches next month, so it makes sense that this would also be a PR move to promote their future game.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
After catching up, can I just say how pleasant the discussion has been in here? Y'all make me proud!

I can just picture Noctis ( A.G.L. A.G.L. ) and Geno ( Luigi The President Luigi The President ) sitting at a table drinking tea and having a pleasant discussion.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
After catching up, can I just say how pleasant the discussion has been in here? Y'all make me proud!

I can just picture Noctis ( A.G.L. A.G.L. ) and Geno ( Luigi The President Luigi The President ) sitting at a table drinking tea and having a pleasant discussion.
Local weary tired old warrior and Sassy Puppet have heartwarming conversation over tea, more at 11

They would for two reasons.
The first, I admit this is speculation, but I think Cloud was also put in Smash extra officially as a measure to get the newer Nintendo fanbase to get used with the FFVII franchise and imagery, as they planned to get closer as companies in the future. Assuming FFVIIRemake for Switch is the product of this approach by Sakurai seems like it would be interesting to expand the current content of the franchise in Smash.
The second is, as mentioned previously, FFVII Remake is actually on the horizon. S-E said PR will focus on the game after KHIII launches next month, so it makes sense that this would also be a PR move to promote their future game.
Valid points.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Except it was declines across the entire board. Blatant profit losses.

You're obviously a smarter guy then me Nek. I'm just a bit confused.
Either way, they're losing a lot of cash, yeah?
Losing cash yeah, but it's more because of Overall decline of their product, and because they barely released anything this year/Big mobile update/No FFXIV big Content and Studio restructuration, alongside Tomb Raider ****ting the bed.
Beside it's just Q2 results.
It's not a disastrous loss, as they still expect to do better than last year for the overall sales.
Q1 of the year is where company pull the big guns and numbers usually, and Square will with KH III being released, and I supposed FF sales on Switch.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace

However, yeah. Tomb Raider ****ed up and sucked *** hard. They were expecting it to work, but they're basically releasing the same dish for the third times now. People have enough. Which is a big reason of the loss too alongside other medium like mobile and **** working less than last year.

Don't worry, KH III Will happens, and save their *****.
Again.
You are forgetting that their other franchises, like Tomb Raider, Deus Ex and Hitman have been failing expectations sales wise and have been giving bad results for the company, and has been like this for years. KHIII will be a success, but it will take more than that to repair the damage they suffered
Hence why I think they might be a bit more open with DLC in the future.

Last edited:

TBone06

Smash Ace
Most ideal top 5?

Geno
Banjo
Isaac
Dixie Kong
Krystal

All reasonable/realistic choices.
Speaking of Mach Rider, does he have a spirit?

I would have put Krystal on my wishlist for the Fighter Pass, but since she's an Assist Trophy, I'm not putting any stock of hope for her getting in as DLC in this Smash.
Yeah I don't actually think she'll get in, but that's my ideal top 5.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
So something I just thought about, all this talk about Square Enix having money loss (Yes I know, they will certainly make it up) are they not also dropping the light engine they developed for FF XV?

If so, what would that mean for FF7 remake? I would imagine they were working on the game with this game engine in mind, yet Unreal 4 made a HUGE splash.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

EDIT: I was corrected, I was wrong lol.

Last edited:

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896

I can totally see that ha, with Noctis being in so many cross overs maybe one day he will meet Geno :).
Thank You my friend, its nice when we get along.

As Noctis would say " What can I say, you guys are the best"

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I can totally see that ha, with Noctis being in so many cross overs maybe one day he will meet Geno :).
Thank You my friend, its nice when we get along.

As Noctis would say " What can I say, you guys are the best"

No spoilers for the rest of y'all, but I hadn't even played the game when I watched this scene and it pulled on my heartstrings.
This'll be this thread before the Squenix rep is revealed tbh!

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
So something I just thought about, all this talk about Square Enix having money loss (Yes I know, they will certainly make it up) are they not also dropping the light engine they developed for FF XV?

If so, what would that mean for FF7 remake? I would imagine they were working on the game with this game engine in mind, yet Unreal 4 made a HUGE splash.

Nah. They're going Unreal Engine 4 for FF7 Remake.
Luminous Engine is hard to work with, and actually, well...TOO next gen for the current hardward. As crazy as it sounds. It's hard to optimise games for our consoles with that engine apparently lmao.

Last edited:

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace

FFVII Remake, alongside KHIII, has been made with Unreal Engine 4 from the start.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Nah. They're going Unreal Engine 4 for FF7 Remake.
Luminous Engine is hard to work with, and actually, well...TOO next gen for the current hardward. As crazy as it sounds. It's hard to optimise games for our consoles with that engine apparently lmao.
OK that's what it was. Thank you for the correction.

Also A.G.L. A.G.L. ....You just had to go and say it *sniff*

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
I will say in terms of whether of not Geno would be financially intresting to Square, we can't forget Geno has direct ties to what is arguably the most recognizable series ever. Square essentially owns a character from one of Nintendo's mascot franchise. Even if he is obscure, there's no doubt his ties to Mario will make him sell even to those who don't know him. Financial wise, I think it's something Square could potentially consider. If they are able to make Geno more mainstream and relevant again, Square could milk the character for money on anything he pops on such as merchandise and DLC because his ties to Mario would make people buy it. Not saying Square would see it this way, but making money off a Mario character, even if said character is obscure, isn't something I think they'd immediately discard.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Square essentially owns a character from one of Nintendo's mascot franchise
Great, now I can actually see Square-Enix exec having a Gun on Geno's Temple, taking him in hostage, while screaming to the Nintendo Police to shove more money in their bank account if they want that hostage free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom