• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
I step away for a day or two and we go from 425 pages to...476!?!?!?!? Holy crapola, guys, noway anyone can say we aren't an active fanbase.

So I've heard some misinformation and I just want to clarify: @PolarPanda and his/her source is not tied to the recent Lloyd talks or the the whole rumor that someone who knows a Square translator mentioned that Geno and Sephy are the two finalists for a Square rep. One is just speculation based on information, just like we have done for pages and pages here for Geno, and the other is just some rando who DM'd Panda's source with the LinkedIn account of someone who supposedly said something. There is no information behind it, nothing of substance, it's likely a goose-chase and both Panda and Panda's source don't think it holds any wait. Both Panda and Panda's source have yet to reveal much new and likely won't until very close to the VGAs at BEST. I was told that @Fatmanonice may have been spreading this misinformation, but I'm not pointing fingers, just clearing the air and making sure people don't get things confused like they often do with Vergeben.

I also have some info, but it doesn't necessarily pertain to Ultimate DLC, so I won't say it here until I get approval from Panda.

EDIT: What is the current topic at hand? I never got to talk about my Smash memories, so if it's still cool to talk about them I will.
We know most of that. Polar has been very clear on his stance about the info's validity. And from what I've seen, Fatman has only given his take. He hasn't asserted anything was for sure. The rest of us are just super hopeful, so many are discussing the info as if it were a real possibility.

And the topic at hand is your personal DLC picks. Feel free to drop the memories too if you want, though!

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
I was told that @Fatmanonice may have been spreading this misinformation, but I'm not pointing fingers.
He's been presenting it as nothing more than a rumor and speculating based upon it, but by no means has he presented it as fact. Polar Panda has made multiple posts stating that the information is unverified, so we're well and proper informed. Xenoaether even dropped in yesterday to make sure we know.

Last edited:

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
I step away for a day or two and we go from 425 pages to...476!?!?!?!? Holy crapola, guys, noway anyone can say we aren't an active fanbase.

So I've heard some misinformation and I just want to clarify: @PolarPanda and his/her source is not tied to the recent Lloyd talks or the the whole rumor that someone who knows a Square translator mentioned that Geno and Sephy are the two finalists for a Square rep. One is just speculation based on information, just like we have done for pages and pages here for Geno, and the other is just some rando who DM'd Panda's source with the LinkedIn account of someone who supposedly said something. There is no information behind it, nothing of substance, it's likely a goose-chase and both Panda and Panda's source don't think it holds any wait. Both Panda and Panda's source have yet to reveal much new and likely won't until very close to the VGAs at BEST. I was told that @Fatmanonice may have been spreading this misinformation, but I'm not pointing fingers, just clearing the air and making sure people don't get things confused like they often do with Vergeben.

I also have some info, but it doesn't necessarily pertain to Ultimate DLC, so I won't say it here until I get approval from Panda.

EDIT: What is the current topic at hand? I never got to talk about my Smash memories, so if it's still cool to talk about them I will.
Fatmanonice wasn't spreading any misinformation. He made it very clear it was unverified info.
We're just speculating on it and that's it.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
I was a big fan of smrpg growing up. Id be happy with Geno or sora.

I main Cloud, and Im a big ff7 fan, but I dont think sephiroth is needed. Cloud already represents FF in general. I think a black mage would better fit as a ff rep since the whole magic concept isnt even used in smash by cloud. Fire, fira,firaga, etc.

Then theres DQ or Dairy Queen for short. Its a good series but isnt as popular in the west compared to japan. When compared to every other series it has a bit of history with Nintendo, and slime has appeared along with the mario cast before.

My only concern on Geno is actually Nintendo. While Sakurai has acknowledged Geno in the past, and currently by apparently making Geno the highest form of spirit. We do have to keep in mind, if it was a Nintendo decision they will probably go with what sales.

But I stand by the fact that Geno will be playable in some form eventually. Square seems to have been the only company among insiders with the potential to have multiple reps. Maybe this was just due to all the names floating around, idk. But one thing that Geno has going for him compared to any other square license is how he is handled from a creative perspective. This means that Sakurai would probably have close to full control over how the character is represented in smash. Not too much back and forth on his overall design cuz I doubt Square would have much input on it.

Overall,Im cool with a lot of characters.
Sora=Geno,> everyone else.

Only thing I dont want
-Slime: character design is too simple, and Im not a fan of generic enemies being used to represent a series.
-Uninteresting DQ fighter:I dont want another Fire emblem like character. If DQ main is picked, hopefully we will at least see some interesting game mechanics. Maybe a call to their turn based roots

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Always interesting to note Slime was only told to literally one person.

It's the Squenix 6 in my mind. Now that I've said this I'm sure it'll be Slime as the Squenix pick.

But yeah.

Pristine

Smash Cadet
But I stand by the fact that Geno will be playable in some form eventually. Square seems to have been the only company among insiders with the potential to have multiple reps.
That's more or less because Square has been confirmed by Vergeben/other insiders that SE is the first DLC, so rn everyone is practically focused on throwing out names for SE as far as DLCs go atm.

owjies

Smash Journeyman
Always interesting to note Slime was only told to literally one person.

It's the Squenix 6 in my mind. Now that I've said this I'm sure it'll be Slime as the Squenix pick.

But yeah.
That's been something in the back of my mind as well. Considering how strict Square is about leaks it could be that the characters we hear less are actually more likely.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
All this rumored SE talk makes me think that licensing complications actually matter in the end when considering choosing a Square character.
They do. They really do.

People will neglect this fact because "well this character would be really popular and sell really well" but they REALLY matter.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
To be fair, wouldn't it be stupid to also send a list of characters people know are a licencing nightmare?
Doesn't that work on both side?

zabimaru1000

Smash Journeyman
They do. They really do.

People will neglect this fact because "well this character would be really popular and sell really well" but they REALLY matter.
Which makes me kind of sad. Even putting Sora aside as I both loved SMRPG and Kingdom Hearts, it's still sad that Final Fantasy added nothing new with only two songs still and Cloud probably negotiated last out of all the fighters.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
To be fair, wouldn't it be stupid to also send a list of characters people know are a licencing nightmare?
Doesn't that work on both side?
I mean...not more than the objective fact that a majority of these characters are licensing nightmares.
Thing is the majority of picks, I'd say all of them really, that Squenix could pick and still have a realistic list for leakers have licensing hell.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Ouch, Crono being a dark timeline character. Not a fan of Chrono Trigger?

Sans is weird. before I played Undertale on the Switch , the whole Sans in Smash thing made me go "ugh" and was just a bunch of meme nonsense to me. Ever sice playing Undertale on the Switch, well...can't say I hate the idea now...
I don’t actually have anything against the game or character itself(besides the anime swordfighter thing), but Chrono Trigger is closely tied to bad personal memories for me to the point where it would legitimately mar my enjoyment of Smash going forward if major representation got in, thus he’s my least wanted Square rep.

Sans is a weird 50/50 case of “I am not exactly a fan of that game’s fanbase, but also I know enough about the game that having that particular character be the game’s representation would be ridiculously OOC and it could do with someone else as the rep if it had to get in.”

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I mean...not more than the objective fact that a majority of these characters are licensing nightmares.
Thing is the majority of picks, I'd say all of them really, that Squenix could pick and still have a realistic list for leakers have licensing hell.
Which is why I'm still very confused about this whole List Ordeal.

Out of the 7 Characters.
Sephiroth and Geno have the less licencing issue. With Sephiroth only needing a "Character Design: Tetsuya Nomura" the issue being with Music
Crono might have to share with DQ in Licencing hell
And if DQ is licencing hell, Sora is the purgatory of the mouse

Which go back to my whole problem as baaaaack as august/september when we heard about said list
What's the point of leaking a list of characters, if it's ****ing obvious who will pass the preliminary discussion?

My exemple was like back then
"Imagine having a pokémon list leaked of:
-Wurmple
-Ratticate
-Pikachu
-Smogo
-Regice

And have to guess who the **** make it into Smash Bros and people tell you "We heard Pikachu/Smogo/Wurmple the most" and some saying "Don't take Pikachu seriously" or whatever."

Of course everyone will discard everyone beside Pikachu on that list and claim it's Pikachu who's in.

That's why I'm extremely warry of all of the rumours about the Square-Enix characters, and Will only keep in mind that
>Crono/DQ/Geno/Sephiroth are the most heard?
>Geno was heard in NoA
>NoJ is the one deciding the DLC

If those characters make it in that list, it means that Square-Enix and/or Nintendo themselves see them as a realistic option, no matters who was heard more or less, or no matter the licencing issue for exemple.

Last edited:

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
I don’t actually have anything against the game or character itself(besides the anime swordfighter thing), but Chrono Trigger is closely tied to bad personal memories for me to the point where it would legitimately mar my enjoyment of Smash going forward if major representation got in, thus he’s my least wanted Square rep.
Man, that sucks...I have the same issue with a few games, almost all of them Rayman, strangely enough. It's not bad enough that him being in the game would ruin it for me, but there are certain games of his I don't think I could play again because of the state I was in the first time.

Also, Kirby Squeak Squad. Odd, but true. I love Daroach to pieces though, so I guess it's just the games themselves that stir up the bad memories.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Which is why I'm still very confused about this whole List Ordeal.

Out of the 7 Characters.
Sephiroth and Geno have the less licencing issue. With Sephiroth only needing a "Character Design: Tetsuya Nomura" the issue being with Music
Crono might have to share with DQ in Licencing hell
And if DQ is licencing hell, Sora is the purgatory of the mouse

Which go back to my whole problem as baaaaack as august/september when we heard about said list
What's the point of leaking a list of characters, if it's ****ing obvious who will pass the preliminary discussion?

My exemple was like back then
"Imagine having a pokémon list leaked of:
-Wurmple
-Ratticate
-Pikachu
-Smogo
-Regice

And have to guess who the **** make it into Smash Bros and people tell you "We heard Pikachu/Smogo/Wurmple the most" and some saying "Don't take Pikachu seriously" or whatever."

Of course everyone will discard everyone beside Pikachu on that list and claim it's Pikachu who's in.

That's why I'm extremely warry of all of the rumours about the Square-Enix characters, and Will only keep in mind that
>Crono/DQ/Geno are the most heard
>Geno was heard in NoA

If those characters make it in that list, it means that Square-Enix and/or Nintendo themselves see them as a realistic option, no matters who was heard more or less for exemple.
Because it isn't obvious.

We're still debating who could be one of two most considered literal months later.

Squenix probably was aware.

Though I wasn't aware Geno was among the most heard outside of NoA.

owjies

Smash Journeyman
>Crono/DQ/Geno are the most heard
>Geno was heard in NoA

If those characters make it in that list, it means that Square-Enix and/or Nintendo themselves see them as a realistic option, no matters who was heard more or less for exemple.
Fatmanonice made a good point the other day that Nintendo acquired the rights to Mallow as a spirit as well, suggesting that negotiations for SMRPG content delved further than just Geno. Obviously we don't know how far that went if anywhere, but it's clear that SMRPG was discussed more broadly.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Because it isn't obvious.

We're still debating who could be one of two most considered literal months later.

Squenix probably was aware.

Though I wasn't aware Geno was among the most heard outside of NoA.
I mean, if Geno was heard from Polar/Hitagi/Vergeben/Xenother and even in NoA a way or another, that already make him up there with DQ/Crono/Sephiroth
Anyway, what I meant is that:

But try to bring Sora up, people will counter Disney.
Bring DQ or Crono, people will bring up Armor Project and Bird Studio.
Bring up Sephiroth and people will talk about the Music issue.

You yourself said it, that Licencing matters a lot.
So why would they add those characters in said list, if the licencing issue are already disqualifying themselves if we think they're impossible because of said licencing issue?

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I mean, if Geno was heard from Polar/Hitagi/Vergeben/Xenother and even in NoA a way or another, that already make him up there with DQ/Crono/Sephiroth
Anyway, what I meant is that:

But try to bring Sora up, people will counter Disney.
Bring DQ or Crono, people will bring up Armor Project and Bird Studio.
Bring up Sephiroth and people will talk about the Music issue.

You yourself said it, that Licencing matters a lot.
So why would they add those characters in said list, if the licencing issue are already disqualifying themselves if we think they're impossible because of said licencing issue?
Because like I said so many people think the opposite of what others are saying.
I see plenty of people, reputable ones, confident in a DQ rep for reasons beyond insider talk, for example.

It's a very weird thing to do I'll say.

domriver

Smash Lord
Gosh I really hope they announce the first DLC character at the VGA JUST so we can be done with it and finally put the nail into the coffin of Geno bein DLC :D or not :(.

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
I better tell everyone who my dream 5 dlc characters before the topics over.

1.Geno He is my most wanted character and has been that way since the pre smash 4 days. His moveset would be amazing and I want him to return!

2.Isaac I know that he got the assist trophy... but we golden sun fans are not giving up and neither should you! We are going to campaign hard for golden sun to revive as a series and for the golden boi to join the fight! He would bring an awesome moveset of earthbending and a killer soundtrack.

3.Shantae I love her games so much as 2d platformers are a soft spot for me and she would surely be the best indie rep given her history with nintendo. Who doesn't want a half genie girl that can transform into animals and attacks with her hair for physical attacks?

4.Banjo and Kazooie This is the big one. If we get either him or geno or both, I will cry pure nostalgic tears. I loved playing the banjo kazooie games as a little kid and have always wanted the bear and the bird to join the roster since brawl. They would just be so unique with their dual attacks and awesome personality.

5.Rayman I can easily say rayman was my 3rd favorite series besides mario and sonic as a youngster as Rayman 3 is one of my favorite games of all time and I
think Ubisoft is due for their mascot to jump into the fray!

Last edited:

timbo8

Smash Cadet
why would disneybe insure they already said they would be okay it not disney that the problem it square they have the assets for sora

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
why would disneybe insure they already said they would be okay it not disney that the problem it square they have the assets for sora
HMK is a sperader of Fake News

He keeps saying dumb things like "Disney can't use Sora without Square's permission"

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I completely get English may not be your first language but I can't quite get what you're saying here.

You're saying Squenix is the issue and not Disney?
Look; just because one person at Disney says they're ok with Sora doesn't mean the entire company is.

I don't believe Disney is too big a hoop for Sora though.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Because like I said so many people think the opposite of what others are saying.
I see plenty of people, reputable ones, confident in a DQ rep for reasons beyond insider talk, for example.

It's a very weird thing to do I'll say.
And that's exactly why I believe we're looking TOO hard into the licencing aspect, for exemple, like you said, DQ or Crono.
But we also shouldn't ignore it.

All characters who are on that list have a serious chance no matters what.

Fatmanonice made a good point the other day that Nintendo acquired the rights to Mallow as a spirit as well, suggesting that negotiations for SMRPG content delved further than just Geno. Obviously we don't know how far that went if anywhere, but it's clear that SMRPG was discussed more broadly.
SMRPG was definitely discussed, I agree. However what's important to also note was that Nintendo didn't felt the need to discuss any Third Parties Mii costume back. Which is weird. And a very good point for Geno and Mallow who hopefully ended up nicely!

Also, not for you, but something I saw popping off a lot.

Also, please, I beg you, I beg everyone.
And I mean this because I saw that Argument a lot back in Smash4/Pre-release of Ultimate.

Aquiring the "likeness" for a costume or here, for exemple a Spirit. Doesn't mean you automatically get the rights for the characters. Same goes for Musics.
When you make a deal, especially for characters, it is VERY ODDLY SPECIFICS, like for exemple-
"I allow Geno to be present in Smash bros in the form a of Costume for the Mii Fighters Gunner."
Or the most famous
"Sonic can only be Shade of blue" "Pac-man can only be yellow!" etc...etc...

Geno being a Spirit with Mallow, Geno being aMii Costume is a whole other deal/Contract as taking Geno as a characters.
Same goes for every third parties, for exemple Llyod.

Same for Music, when you get rights to a music, sometimes, for a film, they asks you the exact way you will use it.
For Forest Maze, maybe they got the right ONLY for Geno's Reveal. Just like they got the Right for Chocobo's Theme ONLY for the hat reveal.

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
Like I'd honestly waltz into a Geno topic 5. Travis Touchdown and post my five most wanted characters 4. Waluigi when none of my most wanted characters 3. Bandana Waddle Dee are even Geno, that sounds 2. Amaterasu like an awfully bad idea 1. Hades sure to get me kicked out.

Oops.

EDIT: You know you dun goofed when the post explaining your joke is that much more popular than the actual joke.

Last edited:

JuryRigging

Smash Cadet
Remove his most wanted characters.

"Like I'd honestly waltz into a Geno topic and post my five most wanted characters when none of my most wanted characters are even Geno, that sounds like an awfully bad idea sure to get me kicked out.

Oops."

Last edited:

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace

He keeps saying dumb things like "Disney can't use Sora without Square's permission"
Agreed.
But I think S-E would bar Sora from getting in because they would need to share a much larger revenue with Disney than their other owner-shared IPs.
They're in a bad spot right now, so I think they would go with a more S-E oriented character

Datboigeno

Smash Lord

Imagine making a whole post trying to clarify things for people who are already up to date on said information/accusing someone else of misinformation and then spreading misinformation in your own post. Amazing.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896

To clarify he did not say that, he said and I quote "They have a very special relationship with Square Enix, where every time they think they want to use Sora's character to marketing or placing him in another video game or anything like that. They always notify and get the ok from Tetsuya Nomura himself and Square Enix, cause they feel they will only use Sora's character in media outside of particularly of Kingdom Hearts whether it be Square Enix or Disney or properties that could integrate him. They want to make sure Tetsuya Nomura is completely on board and completely comfortable with Sora's character being used elsewhere off of Kingdom Hearts."

He nowhere said Disney cannot use Sora without Square's permission. He said they choose to involve Nomura and Square because they want their opinion on how to use the character, and they understand how important Sora is to Nomura.

Last edited:

timbo8

Smash Cadet
Agreed.
But I think S-E would bar Sora from getting in because they would need to share a much larger revenue with Disney than their other owner-shared IPs.
They're in a bad spot right now, so I think they would go with a more S-E oriented character
which is understandable but let honest here square knows they really could the most revenure with sora then say geno and sephiroth not hatting those two pick either

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom