• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Like I'd honestly waltz into a Geno topic 5. Travis Touchdown and post my five most wanted characters 4. Waluigi when none of my most wanted characters 3. Bandana Waddle Dee are even Geno, that sounds 2. Amaterasu like an awfully bad idea 1. Hades sure to get me kicked out.

Oops.

EDIT: You know you dun goofed when the post explaining your joke is that much more popular than the actual joke.
Haha nice that was so epic lol XD

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
which is understandable but let honest here square knows they really could the most revenure with sora then say geno and sephiroth not hatting those two pick either
I don't think that's necessarily true considering they'd be splitting the revenue between themselves, Nintendo, and Disney.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Speaking of Mach Rider, does he have a spirit?

Most ideal top 5?

Geno
Banjo
Isaac
Dixie Kong
Krystal

All reasonable/realistic choices.
I would have put Krystal on my wishlist for the Fighter Pass, but since she's an Assist Trophy, I'm not putting any stock of hope for her getting in as DLC in this Smash.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
New Gamexplain discussion predicting the game awards...

Shall we see what Jon predicts?
Metroid Prime 4 Trailer/Collection CGI trailer/Announcement
Smash DLC= ????? (A possibility, might too soon? Basically 50/50)
Mario Odyssey DLC = Not sure about it, not feeling it
Bayonetta 3 Gameplay? = Maybe

But they all seems to think that we won't just get Metroid at the VGA so far.

Last edited:

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
I think we are all forgetting how Square operates, they operate based on which character makes them the most revenue. They have worked with Platinum games to put 2B in Soul Calibur 6, despite having to deal with another company. We have to keep in mind in order for this to happen Bandai Namco had to deal with both Square and Platinum Games. This is a similar situation many of the S-E characters in question are in.

Also lets count how many times Square has cross promoted FF. 1) Cloud Smash Wii U, 2) Ardyn & Bahamut Assasins Creed Origins, 3) Noctis Tekken 7, 4) Behemoth Monster Hunter World

Out of all the recent cross promotions the only one that isn't FF related is 2B is Soul Calibur 6. That really says a lot on how the company operates. They choose constantly to push their most popular and most profitable franchise. This is not a coincidence and the fact they allowed 2B in Soul Calibur 6 is not either. 2B was one of the most fan requested characters for Soul Calibur, Square saw this and noticed they could cross promote off of her and so they put her in. Yes it did appease the fans, but more importantly it gave something in return to Square Enix the thing they love so much, cross promotion. You might say well Cloud did not cross promote, and Sakurai chose him not Square. To that you are correct, to an extent. When commenting which Square characters they might have chosen Sakurai mentions Terra and Bartz. Nomura states Strago would be good too, this is yet another FF character. Sakurai then mentions Fusuya, all of these characters mentioned are FF characters, they are not from Square's lesser known properties. So keep in mind Sakurai chose the FF character, this does not mean he chose Cloud from a General list of Square characters. He was allowed to choose an FF character and thats that. We see through this Square sets parameters on who can be chosen, and they are related to areas they can cross promote. Also yes Cloud did cross promote, he cross promoted the FF franchise and FF14 that was released since 2010 and has had expansions to the our current date. Also FF15 would be released less than one year later after Cloud's release date.

We can see in all these business patterns, Square thinks ahead. They find ways to make the most money, and they will jump through hoops if its means they will make more money.

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
Considering Sora is legally owned by Disney, would Square actually make any revenue...?

Maybe the character designer, idk.
I mean I could be wrong here, but it'd be a bit awkward not to give them a cut of the money. Even though Disney owns Kingdom Hearts, Square does pretty much most of the work on the games. So Kingdom Hearts still is a product of Square even if they don't legally own it entirely. If Sora became Smash DLC, Disney would likely want Square to receive a cut of the profits because not giving them anything would likely not be good for relations since the game Sora is from is something that Square mainly works on. I don't think Square would be too happy if they were left out of whatever profits would be made, so for the sake of business relations, I'd believe they would get some of the money. That being said, I don't believe the amount they would get for a hypothetical Sora DLC would be as big as Nintendo or Disney.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I think we are all forgetting how Square operates, they operate based on which character makes them the most revenue. They have worked with Platinum games to put 2B in Soul Calibur 6, despite having to deal with another company. We have to keep in mind in order for this to happen Bandai Namco had to deal with both Square and Platinum Games. This is a similar situation many of the S-E characters in question are in.

Also lets count how many times Square has cross promoted FF. 1) Cloud Smash Wii U, 2) Ardyn & Bahamut Assasins Creed Origins, 3) Noctis Tekken 7, 4) Behemoth Monster Hunter World

Out of all the recent cross promotions the only one that isn't FF related is 2B is Soul Calibur 6. That really says a lot on how the company operates. They choose constantly to push their most popular and most profitable franchise. This is not a coincidence and the fact they allowed 2B in Soul Calibur 6 is not either. 2B was one of the most fan requested characters for Soul Calibur, Square saw this and noticed they could cross promote off of her and so they put her in. Yes it did appease the fans, but more importantly it gave something in return to Square Enix the thing they love so much, cross promotion. You might say well Cloud did not cross promote, and Sakurai chose him not Square. To that you are correct, to an extent. When commenting which Square characters they might have chosen Sakurai mentions Terra and Bartz. Nomura states Strago would be good too, this is yet another FF character. Sakurai then mentions Fusuya, all of these characters mentioned are FF characters, they are not from Square's lesser known properties. So keep in mind Sakurai chose the FF character, this does not mean he chose Cloud from a General list of Square characters. He was allowed to choose an FF character and thats that. We see through this Square sets parameters on who can be chosen, and they are related to areas they can cross promote. Also yes Cloud did cross promote, he cross promoted the FF franchise and FF14 that was released since 2010 and has had expansions to the our current date. Also FF15 would be released less than one year later after Cloud's release date.

We can see in all these business patterns, Square thinks ahead. They find ways to make the most money, and they will jump through hoops if its means they will make more money.
I'd believe this if we could even be certain there is a Squenix rep
Squenix is being UNGODLY uncooperative according to leakers. And I just can't believe they-and Nintendo by extension-can come to a conclusion, jumping through all those hoops, while acting the way they are.

And...no, AGL, I love ya man but, no, we aren't forgetting this, it's bought up once a day minimum

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209

This bodes well with what I (we) know, haha. Hopefully it's more than just that one franchise :p

Pristine

Smash Cadet

^^^^^This right here. I've said the same thing before but I simply love how you elaborated on a whole other level.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
I'd believe this if we could even be certain there is a Squenix rep
Squenix is being UNGODLY uncooperative according to leakers. And I just can't believe they-and Nintendo by extension-can come to a conclusion, jumping through all those hoops, while acting the way they are.

And...no, AGL, I love ya man but, no, we aren't forgetting this, it's bought up once a day minimum
Agree friend thats what makes this hard the uncooperativeness of Square. And I want to say Luigi The President Luigi The President its always pleasant debating you. I always come out thinking and better improving the way I speculate. I just wanted to thank you for the way you debate.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Agree friend thats what makes this hard the uncooperativeness of Square. And I want to say Luigi The President Luigi The President its always pleasant debating you. I always come out thinking and better improving the way I speculate. I just wanted to thank you for the way you debate.
This is genuinely one of the highest honors I've gotten on this forum because you're actually one of my favorite debaters on here. You always bring something logical and polite to the table and enlighten me and others. I really appreciate how you conduct yourself. So thank you so much man, that makes me smile to hear!

Square's just so un-cooperative, I am willing to look past how they've traditionally been with crossovers. It's worth nothing all their crossovers are recent. Relatively, at least. All have happened within the last 4-5 years. I think that Squenix experimenting, in a way, with how they cross-promote isn't too out of the realm of possibility. Especially with how they seem determined not to cooperate with Nintendo this time around, it makes me think they don't really wanna bust out the "big guns" like all the groups needed for DQ. That's just me though.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
^^^^^This right here. I've said the same thing before but I simply love how you elaborated on a whole other level.
>two people who want Sephiroth in the game over Geno agree with the logic that means Sephiroth is more likely

Hahaha what a story Mark

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
>two people who want Sephiroth in the game over Geno agree with the logic that means Sephiroth is more likely

Hahaha what a story Mark
Okay, but the logic is incredibly sound. AGL was nothing but polite, informative, and courteous with his post, and degrading it like this is really uncalled for.
The logic that makes Sephiroth more likely is just that.
Logic.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace

I would go an extra mile and say that Tetsuya Nomura's tweet regarding the week ahead and how he must get back to work means he may have something up for us to see at the event. I think there will be an FFVII Remake trailer there (announcing it will come to the Switch as well). This might be a positive for Sephiroth being DLC for Smash but who knows.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583

While I'll give you many of your points, I don't think Sakurai was only restricted to FF properties in his negotiations--more that he specifically went to them for FF. I personally am not one of the people who thinks he went to them for Geno and got Cloud instead. I think he went there FOR FF, as it was a huge franchise he wanted to try and represent in Smash, and he brought up Geno while there. Best case scenario, he went there for both Geno and Cloud.

But my point is that I don't think other properties are quite as "off the table" as you are making them seem. Yes, there is a pattern there, but that doesn't mean it can't change--2B already proved it can. And if anyone can change it, it's Sakurai. As I've said before, I wouldn't underestimate Smash's power as a bargaining chip--even a company as greedy and possessive as Square has to see it would be stupid not to bend and put some DLC out there from whoever Sakurai asks for. Even if they get an eighth of the sales of Smash for their character, that'll still be a fortune. Cross promotion be damned, that's nothing to turn your nose up to.

The question here, I will say for the hundredth time, is if Nintendo and Sakurai want a character in Smash. That has to come first. Quite personally, I think they can make anything they want to happen, if they're determined enough. I mean, that's why Everyone is Here happened.

It's also worth noting...Geno IS an immensely requested character. I can't say if he's a popular as 2B, but surely he's popular enough to get Square's attention. He will sell, and they have to know that.

Last edited:

Pristine

Smash Cadet

Hahaha what a story Mark
There's no denying that I want Sephiroth more than anything, but I am willing to stop myself in my tracks when I see evidence that could potentially stop his inclusion. I do attempt to hide my bias when comparing a close match such as Geno vs Sephiroth though, especially considering how much of a titan Geno is in the smash community. I'm always willing to stop and listen to whichever side proves to have the most sound logic, again, without being bias towards Sephiroth.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Okay, but the logic is incredibly sound. AGL was nothing but polite, informative, and courteous with his post, and degrading it like this is really uncalled for.
The logic that makes Sephiroth more likely is just that.
Logic.
I mean not really. It hinges on the idea that SE is always going to go with a straight-forward cross-promotion pick, but I think alternatively someone could argue that in this situation they may try to appeal to the core Nintendo fanbase in order to make more of a profit considering this is a game on a Nintendo platform. Geno is the character that would sell more among the people who actually own Smash. He is the character that has more vocal interest for being in Smash of the SE characters on the table. People who actually own Smash would go out and buy DLC for Geno. The choice would especially make sense considering the fact that they may want to promote more positive PR on their end by picking a character that represents their prior positive relationship with Nintendo if they are going to continue working with Nintendo. I just don't think the way SE looks at profits necessarily has to be black and white.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
I would go an extra mile and say that Tetsuya Nomura's tweet regarding the week ahead and how he must get back to work means he may have something up for us to see at the event. I think there will be an FFVII Remake trailer there (announcing it will come to the Switch as well). This might be a positive for Sephiroth being DLC for Smash but who knows.
No offense, but I certainly hope not.

timbo8

Smash Cadet
if thevga does get something from smash i expect it would sephroth or someone big

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
The thing about Sora though, is Vergeben stated he was for sure not going to be the one in. Like out of his list of 7 characters, Sora was for sure out.

Has this changed or been amended since the list came out?

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
This is genuinely one of the highest honors I've gotten on this forum because you're actually one of my favorite debaters on here. You always bring something logical and polite to the table and enlighten me and others. I really appreciate how you conduct yourself. So thank you so much man, that makes me smile to hear!

Square's just so un-cooperative, I am willing to look past how they've traditionally been with crossovers. It's worth nothing all their crossovers are recent. Relatively, at least. All have happened within the last 4-5 years. I think that Squenix experimenting, in a way, with how they cross-promote isn't too out of the realm of possibility. Especially with how they seem determined not to cooperate with Nintendo this time around, it makes me think they don't really wanna bust out the "big guns" like all the groups needed for DQ. That's just me though.
Thank you my friend, honestly that means a lot to here. I try to conduct myself in a chivalrous way, which is a concept lost in our current times, which is unfortunate. As Geno fans go you and EarlTamm EarlTamm have given me much to think of, and I always appreciate our debates. As I come out learning things I had not thought of before. This helps me in what I try to bring to the table, information that may not be considered and I try my best to deliver it in a polite way.

Thats is very much a possibility perhaps Square was experimenting and that is why they played it safe and consistently chose FF to represent them in cross promotions. It does seems Square is unwilling to cooperate with Nintendo, but I believe that may just be how they are as a company. I often use this as a reference so I apologize if its gotten old in hearing. If you look at how much Ubisoft gave to Square for the Assasins Creed Festival which included; costumes, game mechanics, music etc. Its astounding how much they gave to them, it almost felt like you werent even playing FF15 anymore. Then you look at how much Square gave to Ubisoft in Assassins Creed Origins which were; hieroglyphs of Noctis and Ardyn, Ardyn and Bahamut cameo, engine blade and shield. Based on this its painfully clear Square doesn't give as much as they take, which is unfortunate. So I am not surprised in the slightest that Square was uncooperative with Nintendo. I am actually surprised Square has such a good relationship with Disney, perhaps its because Disney is so massive they don't want to challenge them as much. However I agree with your theory, and its possible Square might make a move that will shock us all.

Here is the Assassins Creed Festival for reference

Here is Ardyn, Bahamut and Engine Blade in Assassins Creed Origins

Pristine

Smash Cadet
The thing about Sora though, is Vergeben stated he was for sure not going to be the one in. Like out of his list of 7 characters, Sora was for sure out.

Not really, he did mention not to take Geno too seriously though, although I'm not sure if this was made around the time of that statement or afterwards.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
By the way, I really appreciate the measured, polite debate we are having right now. For the most part, it's very respectful, both sides appreciating the other.

Let's keep that up!:)

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162

So far only Vergeben and Xenother said that Sora is out.
Last I remember PolarPanda said that he is not sure, but if Vergeben say he's out, it means his chance aren't likely.

I'm waiting for Polar's word when he exactly hear a deconfirmation before jumping to conclusion. Vergeben was 100% right base game. He absolutely had info for the Square-Enix DLC, but there also his Sketchy claim about Minecraft, so I'm 50/50 on this. Even though, lending on "deconfirmed" is a possibility.

There's also Vergeben's comment about not taking Geno seriously and Xenother saying Geno is out. But hum...Honestly, I just think everyone go by their way to be biased when it comes to those reps. I think no one know who's hard deconfirmed and who's not-

Last edited:

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
Not really, he did mention not to take Geno too seriously though, although I'm not sure if this was made around the time of that statement or afterwards.
It was at the same time. He said he was explicitly told Sora is not in, and in that same message said he heard not to take Geno too seriously. That at least sounds better than Sora's outright deconfirmation.

(THIS IS JUST REGARDING VERGE'S INFO, NOT MINE)

Last edited:

Ezclapper

Smash Apprentice
So far only Vergeben and Xenother said that Sora is out.
Last I remember PolarPanda said that he is not sure, but if Vergeben say he's out, it means his chance aren't likely.

I'm waiting for Polar's word when he exactly hear a deconfirmation before jumping to conclusion. Vergeben was 100% right base game. He absolutely had info for the Square-Enix DLC, but there also his Sketchy claim about Minecraft, so I'm 50/50 on this. Even though, lending on "deconfirmed" is a possibility.

There's also Vergeben's comment about not taking Geno seriously and Xenother saying Geno is out. But hum...Honestly, I just think everyone go by their way to be biased when it comes to those reps. I think no one know who's hard deconfirmed and who's not-
I talked to hitagi about Sora, said he was a no go

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I do wonder something when it comes to this Geno vs. Sephiroth debate, but what does Sakurai himself think of the Sephiroth and his legacy? After all, he is one of the biggest factors in all of this, and he is the one who decided on Cloud. Does Sakurai have some vision for Sephiroth that is like the vision that we know he has for Geno?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
If I recall correctly, Sakurai actually went to Square with Cloud already in mind.

And, Square is already cross-promoting by having Cloud in the game, I don't see why they wouldn't go for Dragon Quest at least or even allow Geno unless they're really that stubborn with what they see as "safe."

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Cute. I laughed. :4pacman:
I laughed even harder with this. Props man
You know what guys I was nothing but polite, informative, and courteous with that post, and degrading it like this is really uncalled for.

But ****posting aside SE likely has objective data given to them by Nintendo that shows that people want Geno in Smash through the ballot, online polls, and sales from his costume. People are making really big assumptions that Sephiroth would somehow be a huge money maker when compared to Geno and I don't honestly buy it. FF7 came out almost 20 years ago. He's shown up in a bunch of things since then but let's not act like he has the same level of popularity he had in the 2000s. People call Geno and Banjo boomer nostalgia picks, but there's a reason why Sakurai was suggested Lightning over Cloud for Smash 4. I'm not going to make a dumb statement that Geno has more mainstream popularity in total than Seph but there's no actual data that points to people really wanting specifically Seph in Smash on the level of Geno. Sora you could make that argument because he actually has placed in polls in whatnot and is more of a current character. SE obviously knows Seph is popular in the mainstream but I don't think they're necessarily blind to other factors regarding popularity and what may actually sell.

Last edited:

Wazygoose

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AppleJackSix
Question: does anyone have links showing that Yoko has the rights to SMRPG music? My impression is that she does not have the rights, and SE does. It’s just something that has been stated as support for Geno’s inclusion but I can’t figure out if it’s true.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
i cant get the argument for sephiroth cross promoting when cloud would already be promoting ff7. doubt nintendo would let square get 2 characters just to promote one game
Question: does anyone have links showing that Yoko has the rights to SMRPG music? My impression is that she does not have the rights, and SE does. It’s just something that has been stated as support for Geno’s inclusion but I can’t figure out if it’s true.
i think its just an assumption since the songs from mario rpg have been on her own personal albums

Last edited:

Ezclapper

Smash Apprentice
It was at the same time. He said he was explicitly told Sora is not in, and in that same message said he heard not to take Geno too seriously. That at least sounds better than Sora's outright deconfirmation.

(THIS IS JUST REGARDING VERGE'S INFO, NOT MINE)
I thought you said that you thought Sora was a no go also though? Correct me if i'm wrong.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
You know what guys I was nothing but polite, informative, and courteous with that post, and degrading it like this is really uncalled for.

But ****posting aside SE likely has objective data given to them by Nintendo that shows that people want Geno in Smash through both the ballot, online polls, and sales from his costume. People are making really big assumptions that Sephiroth would somehow be a huge money maker when compared to Geno and I don't honestly buy it. FF7 came out almost 20 years ago. He's shown up in a bunch of things since then but let's not act like he has the same level of popularity he had in the 2000s. People call Geno and Banjo boomer nostalgia picks, but there's a reason why Sakurai was suggested Lightning over Cloud for Smash 4. I'm not going to make a dumb statement that Geno has more mainstream popularity in total than Seph but there's no actual data that points to people really wanting specifically Seph in Smash on the level of Geno. Sora you could make that argument because he actually has placed in polls in whatnot and is more of a current character. SE obviously knows Seph is popular in the mainstream but I don't think they're necessarily blind to other factors regarding popularity and what may actually sell.
Oh, I wasn't saying Geno wouldn't sell, or not. I genuinely think ALL DLC will sell a ****tons.
But if Square, who, I HAVE TO REMIND YOU, are Square-Enix, kinda like, EA tiers when it comes to be a ****-up, feels money's elsewhere, they're going for the gold bar than gold nuggets.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
Didn't you say that you thought Sora was a no go also though? Correct me if i'm wrong.
i dont think he did, you might be thinking of the "2 finalists and 1 getting declined" person who came to them; that person said sora was the one that got deconfirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom