• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
Out of all the 14 million possible forseen outcomes, in which did out boy make it in?
One in which it was Sakurai choosing the DLC himself instead of Nintendo. :urg: But I believe the tables can be turned if they play their cards right, I still have faith.

Last edited:

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
If Geno does get in, it would be neat if Mallow was part of the final smash. It could be a combination of their special moves in the game. That way we get at least both of them.

Gum-Gum Smash

Smash Apprentice
Not to detract, but I see a lot of Ninten support and uh...I don't understand lmao. Not to bash the character, I love Earthbound to DEATH but I don't see how hed be very much different from Ness or Lucas. I would much prefer to see Paula or Kumatora if we're gonna get another PSI Powerhouse. 1. For representation. 2. Paula's Pray could be a devastating move, either as a smash attack or final smash and would set her apart from her fellow series reps. AAAAAAAND Kumatora has a very interesting design and her tomboyish attitude could affect her playstyle.

Anyway, back to Geno. Going over the SMRPG fan comic, the panel where they see Samus is SO. GOOD. Such an attention to detail, and such a good detail to include and honestly it made me want Geno in Smash even more. ALSO, remember the JC Rodrigo interview how he said, there would be surprises like PPlant? Does that mean surprises that come out of nowhere? That could corroborate Fatmanonice saying theres a possibility there would be little to no shill characters

BY THE WAY YALL LOOK AT THIS VIDEO LMAOOO honestly I could see how implementing Sephiroth could be a balancing nightmare lmaooo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz22O8YeFvs
I agree. I mean I always thought Ninten would be a cool echo, but not as unique (to be honest even though he'd be cool, I never thought of him as anything other than maybe a costume for Ness like Alph) to me, he's not even the most relevant or most deserving of Mother characters. Porky is the main villian of two games, and is kinda like the Bowser to the franchise. Gygas/Gigue is as well, but I see him as something else other than playable. I mean, even Masked Man makes more sense than Ninten as unique. Out of all the vast and unique characters Mother could bring, there are more deserving and more unique characters than just another Ness/Lucas

Anyways, yeah probably Gaz for underrated characters. I agree with Fatmannonice
Gaz himself is definitely up there. As a mere child, he one shot Mario. I wish someone would do a comic of Gaz growing up. When I think about this it kind of makes me sad because a lot of us are like Gaz, just wanting Geno to come back. He presumably got the toy back but it's not the same, he probably wanted new adventures with Geno like the rest of us.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
I agree. I mean I always thought Ninten would be a cool echo, but not as unique (to be honest even though he'd be cool, I never thought of him as anything other than maybe a costume for Ness like Alph) to me, he's not even the most relevant or most deserving of Mother characters. Porky is the main villian of two games, and is kinda like the Bowser to the franchise. Gygas/Gigue is as well, but I see him as something else other than playable. I mean, even Masked Man makes more sense than Ninten as unique. Out of all the vast and unique characters Mother could bring, there are more deserving and more unique characters than just another Ness/Lucas/QUOTE]

No offense, but Porky got overshadowed by Giygas and Claus in both games he was a villain in. He's honestly more of the Bowser Jr. of the franchise even right down to having a mech and being obnoxious.

I do agree with Masked Man being the most unique possible option though, and as much as I love him and want him in, I just don't see Nintendo/Itoi/Sakurai choosing him over Ninten who was a considered character for Brawl as well as the character that started it all. Without Ninten and Mother 1, the Mother franchise would either not exist or be drastically different. I'd argue the same for Pokemon as Mewtwo certainly wouldn't be the same.

Gum-Gum Smash

Smash Apprentice
I don't agree with this at all. Porky is the main antagonist of the Mother franchise, and would be the most unique. The only one more relevant than him is maybe Gygas/Gigue. No if, and or buts. But let's talk about Geno

Last edited:

Potatu

Smash Apprentice
You know what the ultimate hint would be for the SE rep? If they have a sword or not. That'd narrow us down to 2 candidates, those being Slime and Geno...

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
Right? That comic sure did a lot of effect on our emotions :crying:
I read that this morning. Funny thing was, I heard the music at every single part. That was a great little excursion and gave me the good feels. :)

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
You know what the ultimate hint would be for the SE rep? If they have a sword or not. That'd narrow us down to 2 candidates, those being Slime and Geno...
That's the thing though. Sakurai just recently talked about wanting variety on the roster. I feel like if this Lloyd rumor is true it looks bad for just about all the square options except those two. And since insiders consider slime unlikely, it really looks good for Geno.

BoyMan

Smash Cadet
I read that this morning. Funny thing was, I heard the music at every single part. That was a great little excursion and gave me the good feels. :)
It also provided a wealth of fantastic art to use in avatars and signatures.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
So I opened a fourtune cookie that said "Good news of a long-awaited event will arrive soon." For once I hope it's right and we get our Star Boy this week.

DIY

Smash Apprentice
So I opened a fourtune cookie that said "Good news of a long-awaited event will arrive soon." For once I hope it's right and we get our Star Boy this week.
If a fortune cookie said it, you just know it's got to be true. Geno for Smash Ultimate confirmed!

KanataLen

Smash Apprentice
man... finally got around to reading that SMRPG comic.... I nearly teared up several times throughout that whole thing. It is probably the best overall interpretation of the series in an updated design that i have seen so far. She is a very good artist.

As far as recent events are concerned. Yeah, it's a Geno thread, so the overall focus should be on him, which i think for our 450+ pages we have done a good job on that. even if we took out all of the off topic posts we would likely still be at about 400 alone all things considered (been around since page 100 or so, only started posting more when it seemed he was truly likely again)

Lloyd would be amazing, certainly some actual variety in our sword fighters, so that would be a plus, and he's from the only part of the Tales series I really enjoyed (sorry tales fans...) I would certainly appreciate him being in. Plus the whole variety bit i think would make it a plus for Geno since that would be our sword fighter for the pass (hopefully).

and sheesh... this wait is certainly brutal... really expecting that 72 hours/dawn of the final day memes to come out again this week in waiting for ultimate. Regardless of what happens, I'm so glad that we are getting what seems to be a real quality smash game with the QoL changes we have been asking for the past 8 years or so. I'm going to be happy with it.

Last edited:

Ravioko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RaviokoTheCat
3DS FC
1263-8771-0336
Switch FC
SW-0032-6272-2452
man... finally got around to reading that SMRPG comic.... I nearly teared up several times throughout that whole thing. It is probably the best overall interpretation of the series in an updated design that i have seen so far. She is a very good artist.
I see a lot of people talking about a SMRPG comic lately - what comic is it? I'd love to give it a look.

astralAenigma

Smash Rookie

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Morning. Any noteworthy updates today?
Not really. Because of the whole SE and Lloyd/Yuri thing, people are now reaching out to me. "Was Geno one of the final two?" Of course, I can't say anything but I was kind of touched at the stories people gave. "It's literally the only thing I want in Smash" was said a lot along with childhood memories. People definitely care about this character.

MattX20

Smash Hero
...a thought occurred to me today. Remember when the Grinch leak surfaced and there was say that one of the 3rd parties involved in Ultimate had their feathers ruffled? Granted the Grinch Leak turned out to be fake, but what if it turned out there was a small grain of truth to it beyond Ken and Square got mad that Geno was "leaked" even if the rest was blatantly wrong?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Not to detract, but I see a lot of Ninten support and uh...I don't understand lmao. Not to bash the character, I love Earthbound to DEATH but I don't see how hed be very much different from Ness or Lucas. I would much prefer to see Paula or Kumatora if we're gonna get another PSI Powerhouse. 1. For representation. 2. Paula's Pray could be a devastating move, either as a smash attack or final smash and would set her apart from her fellow series reps. AAAAAAAND Kumatora has a very interesting design and her tomboyish attitude could affect her playstyle.

Anyway, back to Geno. Going over the SMRPG fan comic, the panel where they see Samus is SO. GOOD. Such an attention to detail, and such a good detail to include and honestly it made me want Geno in Smash even more. ALSO, remember the JC Rodrigo interview how he said, there would be surprises like PPlant? Does that mean surprises that come out of nowhere? That could corroborate Fatmanonice saying theres a possibility there would be little to no shill characters

BY THE WAY YALL LOOK AT THIS VIDEO LMAOOO honestly I could see how implementing Sephiroth could be a balancing nightmare lmaooo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz22O8YeFvs
Well, Ninten doesn't use PSI attacks like Ness and Lucas, he mainly attacks physically. He does use PSI, but assist PSI, no PSI attacks. In Earthbound Beginnings, he attacks with bats and boomerangs. Ness and Lucas's PSI moves in Smash come from their party members, like Paula and Poo for Ness. Since Ness uses moves from Paula from Earthbound, Paula would make more sense as an echo. Same with Lucas, he uses his PSI and Kumatora's PSI attacks, so Kumatora would also work better as an echo. Really, the only thing similar about Ninten and Ness is their design. Ninten can use physical attacks, and he could also use PK Beam in Smash. Ana knows PK Beam, so Ninten can use it in Smash. Ness and Lucas have more in common than Ninten with either of them. Ness and Lucas use PK Flash and a PK attack that is unique to them, PSI Rockin for Ness and PK Love for Lucas. PK Flash, Yo-yos, and PK Starstorm don't exist in Earthbound Beginnings

Last edited by a moderator:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
...a thought occurred to me today. Remember when the Grinch leak surfaced and there was say that one of the 3rd parties involved in Ultimate had their feathers ruffled? Granted the Grinch Leak turned out to be fake, but what if it turned out there was a small grain of truth to it beyond Ken and Square got mad that Geno was "leaked" even if the rest was blatantly wrong?
Wrong timeline.
Square got their Feather ruffled back in September.
Grinch appeared in Novembers.

No way it was it.

D

Deleted member

Wrong timeline.
Square got their Feather ruffled back in September.
Grinch appeared in Novembers.

No way it was it.
It could be the Chadendorf leak, it tied in with the Grinch leak and happened in September

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
It could be the Chadendorf leak, it tied in with the Grinch leak and happened in September
I know for a fact that Square-Enix's PR doesn't care about 4chan leaks.
Especially since Geno get "leaked" literally every smash game, every day, every text leak since march.

If a leak happened and pissed of SE it was:
>Internally meaning we will never know
>Big enough to get coverage

Those two are the reasons why KH/FF leakers always got away scot free when it happens in 4chan, because...SO MANY FAKE LEAKS HAPPENS.
There was a well known FFXIV leaker who happened to get "too much" coverage after multiple leaks. And I can let you guess what happened. We never heard about him again.

D

Deleted member

I know for a fact that Square-Enix's PR doesn't care about 4chan leaks.
Especially since Geno get "leaked" literally every smash game, every day, every text leak since march.

If a leak happened and pissed of SE it was:
>Internally meaning we will never know
>Big enough to get coverage

Those two are the reasons why KH/FF leakers always got away scot free when it happens in 4chan, because...SO MANY FAKE LEAKS HAPPENS.
There was a well known FFXIV leaker who happened to get "too much" coverage after multiple leaks. And I can let you guess what happened. We never heard about him again.
Maybe it was just Vergeben leaking that they would get another rep

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Well , if we're talking third party characters on the grinch leak... There was Ken , Geno , Banjo & Kazooie , and Shadow.

Shadow is an assist , Ken an echo , Geno a spirit.

And honestly , I don't see Microsoft getting angry over a DLC that won't be released until next year... It's the reverse , It's free promotion for them , since they released a Banjo & Kazooie figurine recently...

I honestly think it could have been Capcom because there was also another picture leak of him that was probably real.
Yeah , Ken was obvious , but leaking in-game stuff of this importance is enough to make a company angry.

Freaky Mutant Man

Smash Apprentice
Wasn't that over a leak completely unrelated to the Grinch leak, one that we still haven't gotten a solid answer as to which one it was?

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Maybe it was just Vergeben leaking that they would get another rep
Maybe. But with how long he talked about the S-E rep, maybe the coverage made them mad.
That or again, an internal leak.
Or it was the list of characters getting leaked out.

So yeah, honestly, don't pay attention to it. It might make sense later when the characters is revealed, but for now, no way to connect it.

Well , if we're talking third party characters on the grinch leak... There was Ken , Geno , Banjo & Kazooie , and Shadow.

And honestly , I don't see Microsoft getting angry over a DLC that won't be released until next year... It's the reverse , It's free promotion for them , since they released a Banjo & Kazooie figurine recently...

I honestly think it could have been Capcom because there was also another picture leak of him that was probably real.
Yeah , Ken was obvious , but leaking in-game stuff of this importance is enough to make a company angry.
No. It was soft-confirmed that it was Square-Enix. The person saying this had mostly link to Square.

D

Deleted member

Tansut said that the leak he was talking about wasn't the Ken image leak, though. He said if it were that one, he wouldn't have bothered mentioning it

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
I'm afraid of the backlash I may get for "getting people's hopes up" for Geno. I want to assure you that I haven't gotten confirmation on Geno or anything, and that there is a slight possibility the Geno rumor my source heard may turn up false. In that scenario, please do not direct anger to me. It's part of the reason that I've been open about the possibility of it being one of the other names on the list. If I get confirmation of Geno, I'll tell you. If the Enix character is in the next direct, I'll know for sure who it is a day or two before they're revealed.

I just do not like people twisting my words or intentions.

Lightspeed97

Smash Cadet
I'm afraid of the backlash I may get for "getting people's hopes up" for Geno. I want to assure you that I haven't gotten confirmation on Geno or anything, and that there is a slight possibility the Geno rumor my source heard may turn up false. In that scenario, please do not direct anger to me. It's part of the reason that I've been open about the possibility of it being one of the other names on the list. If I get confirmation of Geno, I'll tell you. If the Enix character is in the next direct, I'll know for sure who it is a day or two before they're revealed.

Your source heard that Geno is going to be DLC? Or did he just generally hear the name get thrown around?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Wasn't that over a leak completely unrelated to the Grinch leak, one that we still haven't gotten a solid answer as to which one it was?
We might have an idea if it's related to Smash but I can't go into specifics. If it's Smash related, it more than likely refers to the third candidate that was turned down but people within the company tried to raise a big stink about it. By the account we got, this really annoyed the higher ups, making them double down and kind of souring the entire atmosphere of negotiations all together. Of course, the account we got didn't say when this all went down exactly but it'd make sense if it was September.

It could be referring to the Ken leak too because Nintendo was pissed that it happened. The theory is that a playtester did it because they get garbage pay, the work is ironically very tedious, and they typically have no loyalty or nothing to lose if they do share stuff. "Oh no, I can't go back to my crappy job; how awful!" That sort of thing. Like Ryce (is that how you spell it?) said, this is why there are strong doubts about Minecraft content, at least anything coming anytime soon. If there was physical evidence of it as far back as the summer, playtesters would have seen it because they were already testing out Pirahana Plant in August. Nintendo would have had to be keeping it under hard lock and key otherwise and that still begs the question of how Vergeben's source 1. knew of it and 2. was able to see enough to have the strong confidence that they do.

JuryRigging

Smash Cadet

We won't hold anything against you. Unlike others with insider information, you've been very diplomatic and neutral, and I think I speak for most here when I say that we've been very grateful to even have a sliver of hope from you.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
Your source heard that Geno is going to be DLC? Or did he just generally hear the name get thrown around?
I've clarified this a few times, but let me reiterate. He heard Geno through watercooler gossip at NoA. Usually, the rumors he hears from NoA turn true, which is why I put some weight to it. However, since it is a rumor, after all, it may not. As I've said many times, I'll likely know exactly who the Enix character is a day or two before the next direct (unless they're revealed at the VGAs). People twist this and say that I am not definitively saying Geno is DLC.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

We might even reach 500 pages before the VGAs. We jumped 30 pages in one day so we can definitely hit 500 before the VGAs

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
PolarPanda PolarPanda If I may, you're probably the only "insider" that people don't full on resent because all the other major ones have a tendency to piss everyone off because of their attitudes. Xenother and Hitagi speak in absolutes which is why so many people are wanting them to fall hard and Vergeben is, uh, very German and I say that coming from a German family. Like I said in Discord, you're a gentleman and a scholar. You kind of crash landed here and I knew almost immediately that you had good intentions. You're a good guy and I know this whole thing is stressful. As for me, I've been hated for various reasons throughout my life so there are times I kind of wish I could take your place because I'm so used to people treating me a certain way and I know it's incredibly rough if you're not used to it. I used to have things like people wait outside my house for me or share my license plates and work schedule so Neo's warning about "backlash" kind of made me roll my eyes yesterday because angry emails might as well be boxes of Russel Stover at this point. Either way, we'll back you up. You've been incredibly gracious and I think we'll owe you that no matter what the end result is.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
We might have an idea if it's related to Smash but I can't go into specifics. If it's Smash related, it more than likely refers to the third candidate that was turned down but people within the company tried to raise a big stink about it. By the account we got, this really annoyed the higher ups, making them double down and kind of souring the entire atmosphere of negotiations all together. Of course, the account we got didn't say when this all went down exactly but it'd make sense if it was September.
You know what's sad?
It's that, I can clearly see who you're talking about. A certain "YES" and ****ing up everything.
And I would be sad, because it would show that Square-Enix are assholes, but the creator genuinely wanted him for smash, and that he perhaps was the first choice as a candidate.
I now truly hope that, internal discussion managed to pull it out by some miracle if it's indeed who it is, since said characters is probably up there in my Absolute S++ tiers of dream picks alongside Crono. (Geno is close but, Crono and probably who I'm thinking's game had a big impact in my life so yeeee)

I just know I won't be sad, and still be excited whoever it is...Just...Sad that it was turned down, and even the creator couldn't help it.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
As we get closer to Smash Ultimate's release, thinking about Geno in the game is only making me more excited to play. Sakurai is providing a lot of attention to detail with each character, and imagine the 16-bit SMRPG sound effects playing during Geno's attacks. Ugh, please be in Geno, he's perfect for this game.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
Maybe going on a bit of the negative side here, but maybe it'll also help temper expectations? Since the rumor may not be true, which is probably something we all hopefully considered anyway, two hypothetical things:

1. Why would you think Geno would be excluded, if he is?
2. What would be the most disappointing thing about that?

And for extra credit, (and for optimism/claiming/speaking things into existence)
1. Why did Geno get in this time?
2. What's the most exciting thing about his inclusion?

For me, I think Geno would be excluded simply because Nintendo or Square clashed business wise. Perhaps something fell through in negotiations, but at the end of the day, as I said before, probably one of their fault. Probably Nintendo.

The most disappointing thing about that would be that the game, at least to me, would feel a little incomplete. All of these requested characters made it in, and not one of the most requested for arguably the longest time.

I think Geno's inclusion would be based on fan demand, and potential for more partnerships with Square stemming from the Mario franchise.
The most EXCITING thing would DEFINITELY getting to see an updated render of the character FOR SURE.

xenother

Smash Apprentice
PolarPanda PolarPanda If I may, you're probably the only "insider" that people don't full on resent because all the other major ones have a tendency to piss everyone off because of their attitudes. Xenother and Hitagi speak in absolutes which is why so many people are wanting them to fall hard and Vergeben is, uh, very German and I say that coming from a German family. Like I said in Discord, you're a gentleman and a scholar. You kind of crash landed here and I knew almost immediately that you had good intentions. You're a good guy and I know this whole thing is stressful. As for me, I've been hated for various reasons throughout my life so there are times I kind of wish I could take your place because I'm so used to people treating me a certain way and I know it's incredibly rough if you're not used to it. I used to have things like people wait outside my house for me or share my license plates and work schedule so Neo's warning about "backlash" kind of made me roll my eyes yesterday because angry emails might as well be boxes of Russel Stover at this point. Either way, we'll back you up. You've been incredibly gracious and I think we'll owe you that no matter what the end result is.
Talk in absolutes and people hate you for it. Don't talk in absolutes and you're "being intentionally vague so you can backpedal later". It's a lose-lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom