• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

In my opinion, I don't think spirits matter at all for DLC. Pretty much every fan favorite is a spirit, and if they were to deconfirm DLC characters, then there goes a solid 1,297 potential candidates. They're just pictures added in so that it feels like you're playing as/fighting against a certain character who isn't in Smash, likely to appease everyone because they obviously can't add everyone's requests into the game. I don't think they're meant to be taken so seriously. If, for example, Sakurai wanted to add Geno in as DLC, but didn't know if he could definitely pull it off, then he added Geno in as a spirit just in case.

I don't know just thinking about it, it'd be really silly if Sakurai/Nintendo sat down and thought "you know, this person would be great as a DLC character, but you know they're already a spirit, so clearly I can't do that." Here's an easy solution to the issue: just don't allow DLC characters to be played in Spirits. It's that simple. If you don't want Geno fighting against the Geno spirit then just don't allow him to be playable in Spirits. I feel like this whole debate on spirits confirm vs. spirits deconfirm is sort of silly, because I don't think any of it really matters at all when affecting DLC chances. Sakurai just wanted to implement a way to make everyone happy, appease the crowd. I know this is said time and time again, but they're literally just png images effortlessly ripped from their original games.
It's "oh, this character has a png? They will never be playable, but Chrom can be a Mii costume, while he can also be beating the **** out of himself!"

Thinking spirits deconfirm characters is such a stupid thought

Last edited by a moderator:

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
I mean, I understand Incineroar isn't that hype, but Ken was awesome, and Piranha Plant was surprisingly funny with a cool moveset. You bet this was a character made by an apprentice from Sakurai which he looked at it and actually thought it was very well done. This is kinda a thing among developers who are looking for someone to pass the baton. Sakurai stated in recent interviews that he hasn't found anyone yet to take care of some parts of development to help him out. The man does everything by himself almost.
Ironically, he is the only interactable object in Smash 64, so you could say he was there from the start.
But releasing that ammount of anger is kinda sad m8. Must be boring living under these conditions. :/
Ultimate has so many reasons to be happy and hyped.
We should be happy Piranha Plant isn't part of the 5 DLC characters, because if this was the case, that would be a little bit of a waste and definitely deconfirms Geno. But I love Piranha Plant, we needed a "WTF" character for the game! Piranha Plant has moves derived from other characters in the game, but I like it! It's so funny! xD
Which is a wrong argument by the way, as he was in one game as a main character 20 years ago. People need to get there facts in order, I tell you what.
Thank you. I love it when people that haven't even played SMRPG call Geno a ******* side-character. The story was based off of him, it's literally his goal to collect the seven star pieces and bring them up to restore Star Road. Even the ending cutscene shows that Geno is truly the main protagonist. Just because Mario was in the title and the character you play, doesn't mean they're the main protagonist. If anything, Geno and Mario are the main protagonists; Peach, Bowser, and Mallow are just protagonists.

bardbowman

Smash Apprentice
In my opinion, I don't think spirits matter at all for DLC. Pretty much every fan favorite is a spirit, and if they were to deconfirm DLC characters, then there goes a solid 1,297 potential candidates. They're just pictures added in so that it feels like you're playing as/fighting against a certain character who isn't in Smash, likely to appease everyone because they obviously can't add everyone's requests into the game. I don't think they're meant to be taken so seriously. If, for example, Sakurai wanted to add Geno in as DLC, but didn't know if he could definitely pull it off, then he added Geno in as a spirit just in case.

I don't know just thinking about it, it'd be really silly if Sakurai/Nintendo sat down and thought "you know, this person would be great as a DLC character, but you know they're already a spirit, so clearly I can't do that." Here's an easy solution to the issue: just don't allow DLC characters to be played in Spirits. It's that simple. If you don't want Geno fighting against the Geno spirit then just don't allow him to be playable in Spirits. I feel like this whole debate on spirits confirm vs. spirits deconfirm is sort of silly, because I don't think any of it really matters at all when affecting DLC chances. Sakurai just wanted to implement a way to make everyone happy, appease the crowd. I know this is said time and time again, but they're literally just png images effortlessly ripped from their original games.
You're absolutely right. Imagine Nintendo trying to build a list of potential characters, and Sakurai saying "yeah, pick anyone but these ~1300 characters." That's WAY too big of a list to preclude from ever being DLC. Especially if a wave 2 is potentially still on the table.

Also, I hadn't thought about it, but you raise a great point about Geno being a spirit. Because they're so much easier to implement (literally just a jpeg), I think it's safe to say that the Spirit List was built way before the DLC one was. And Sakurai knows full well how hard it is to work with Square, so it's likely he didn't know if he was going to be able to get Geno playable (assuming he wanted to). So putting him in as a (legendary) spirit was a way to ensure he got some representation (however small) regardless of whether or not he would make it in as DLC.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace

But there's a falacy to that logic. You assume he is considering DLCs after the Spirits were defined. But again, DLCs are planned way before the launch, given that the legal measures for it take time to be signed and put into action. The fact that Sakurai stated everything was set a few weeks ago means every single company involved has agreed and is midway the legal procedures for that. The characters will take some time to be designed, alongside a stage and defining specific musics and such. But the characters themselves are defined earlier, and it's quite feasible to assume that the definition of who becomes a spirit was done alongside the DLC planning. So yes, 1297 options are off the table, bc to Sakurai they weren't as likely to become characters as the DLC candidates. That's the logical reasoning for it, at least.

Last edited:

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
But there's a falacy to that logic. You assume he is considering DLCs after the Spirits were defined. But again, DLCs are planned way before the launch, given that the legal measures for it take time to be signed and put into action. The fact that Sakurai stated everything was defined means every single company involved has agreed and is midway the legal procedures for that. The characters will take some time to be designed, alongside a stage and defining specific musics and such. But the characters themselves are defined earlier, and it's quite feasible to assume that the definition of who becomes a spirit was done alongside the DLC planning. So yes, 1297 options are off the table, bc to Sakurai they weren't as likely to become characters as the DLC candidates. That's the logical reasoning for it, at least.
Mewtwo was planned before Smash 4 launched and had a trophy already made in the game.

D

Deleted member

But there's a falacy to that logic. You assume he is considering DLCs after the Spirits were defined. But again, DLCs are planned way before the launch, given that the legal measures for it take time to be signed and put into action. The fact that Sakurai stated everything was defined means every single company involved has agreed and is midway the legal procedures for that. The characters will take some time to be designed, alongside a stage and defining specific musics and such. But the characters themselves are defined earlier, and it's quite feasible to assume that the definition of who becomes a spirit was done alongside the DLC planning. So yes, 1297 options are off the table, bc to Sakurai they weren't as likely to become characters as the DLC candidates. That's the logical reasoning for it, at least.
Then explain why Mewtwo and Lucas were trophies before they were DLC in Smash 4. You should look at this a different way: Think of it as Sakurai wanting to represent every character who is important to Nintendo that couldn't be made as fighters in the base roster, then they can see after that to make a character who is a spirit DLC. Spirits don't deconfirm, Sylux didn't have a trophy in Smash 4, Porky is represented by absolutely safe capsule as a spirit, a character being a spirit doesn't mean they can't be DLC. And Nintendo isn't going to care if a character is a png in the game, if they suggest a character, they suggest a character, they aren't going to look through 1,297 pngs to see if they can't use a character

D

Deleted member

So two characters the most likely for the Square Enix rep eh?

Well I won't pry never would not my buisness.

Hoping to see the VGA's next week but just watching it to support, Spider-Man, God of War and Red Dead Redemption 2, hoping they win a lot of awards. Three utter fantastic games, and games of the year.

Anyway if Nintendo is there won't make or break the night for me but if something is shown. I'll be great. If not no worries stil be a fun night.

Let's see what happens.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is almost in our hands, once it's here we could put leaks, and DLC behind to finally focus on the game. Until the DLC is shown.

We'll see who it is soon enough!

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Then explain why Mewtwo and Lucas were trophies before they were DLC in Smash 4. You should look at this a different way: Think of it as Sakurai wanting to represent every character who is important to Nintendo that couldn't be made as fighters in the base roster, then they can see after that to make a character who is a spirit DLC. Spirits don't deconfirm, Sylux didn't have a trophy in Smash 4, Porky is represented by absolutely safe capsule as a spirit, a character being a spirit doesn't mean they can't be DLC. And Nintendo isn't going to care if a character is a png in the game, if they suggest a character, they suggest a character, they aren't going to look through 1,297 pngs to see if they can't use a character
Simple. DLC was being made as they went along. They didn't finish planning beforehand like in Ultimate. Mewtwo was a different case because it was decided last minute. This was their first time dealing with DLC ever. You're ignoring the fact that trophies aren't interactable like spirits. You're also ignoring the fact that DLC and spirits were being done in parallel, so it's not like they were looking through more than a thousand spirits to see if they could choose a particular character. The spirits were launched the way they did bc they were decided with the candidates in mind.

MattX20

Smash Hero
(This is just speculation, please do not misinterpret this post) Given everything I've been hearing from my contacts and my source, I'm leaning to the Enix rep being Geno, Sephiroth, or DQ. I still personally believe Geno is the most likely given what my source has heard, and hopefully he can get complete confirmation (unless the reveal is at VGAs), but if it's not then it'll likely be one of those 2. The majority of contacts I've spoken to have also heard DQ more, or lean to it for other reasons. Sephiroth was supported by a couple other contacts of mine.
It's also possible Geno could be shown off at the VGAs rather than Sephiroth or DQ as a complete surprise, isn't it?

D

Deleted member

Simple. DLC was being made as they went along. They didn't finish planning beforehand like in Ultimate. Mewtwo was a different case because it was decided last minute. This was their first time dealing with DLC ever. You're ignoring the fact that trophies aren't interactable like spirits. You're also ignoring the fact that DLC and spirits were being done in parallel, so it's not like they were looking through more than a thousand spirits to see if they could choose a particular character. The spirits were launched the way they did bc they were decided with the candidates in mind.
You are also ingnoring that spirits are a replacement of trophies, which, again, Mewtwo and Lucas were trophies in Smash 4 before they were DLC. Spirits take less development time than trophies. And, Pit and Pikachu have spirits, and they are the exact same character that is playable in the game. DLC characters can have fighter spirits that are named, for example, Geno (fighter). So, if we are going by your logic, then Pit and Pikachu are deconfirmed. Yep. Spirits don't deconfirm, playable characters have spirits, a previous example is that trophies didn't deconfirm, and it doesn't matter if they have different properties, they are replacements. And, you are also ignoring that not having a spirit doesn't increase a character's chances. Sylux didn't have a trophy in Smash 4, but didn't become playable. Same thing will go with spirits, and Sakurai confirmed that spirits are EQUIVALENT to trophies, and characters who were trophies became DLC, and a character who didn't have a trophy didn't become DLC. You are just grasping for straws if you think spirits deconfirm

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
Here’s a thought I wanted to bring up while everyone was theorizing a couple pages back.
I saw a couple people saying that because there’s likely to be no sequel to Mario RPG, it means that SE would be disinterested in the franchise. I might have to disagree from a business perspective.

Look at SSB4. Why was Geno’s costume picked over any other reputable character? (Crono, DQ, even Chocobo beat out Sephiroth) and I ask this a lot, but I do think it’s important to note. Especially given the Mii Costume promotion theory. Someone else said that they theorize the Square negotiations were before E3 If this is true I also think that works in Geno’s favor as this is before Nintendo stepped in. Also would explain Verge knowing the Square rep early.
Back to the point. Square probably isn’t going to make a SMRPG sequel, fair, sure. Maybe. Maybe not. But given Geno’s fan demand why would they not even be interested in the character?

Lets remember that Geno is connected directly to MARIO and shares that distinction with Mallow. These are the only two Square characters in history with that distinction, to my knowledge. I’ll say that again, DIRECT ties not just to Nintendo, but MARIO. The franchise. Lets look at his appearance in the first Super Star Saga. Square got credit for that. Genos popularity is way more now.

We’re not saying direct sequels but Square probably got paid with this one cameo. Which was a Mario RPG game. Why wouldn’t square as a business one more of that? Maybe not a SMRPG specific sequel, but further appearances in Mario and Luigi, Mario Sports and Party games, don’t sound too farfetched. Considering it’s freaking Mario, why wouldn’t they want to capitalize on netting some sort of profit from that alone? They’re still releasing DQ11 on switch regardless and still releasing FF on Nintendo online it literally would not hinder their business model at all, it would really only help it an additional percentage and it could potentially span all of Mario. As a business why wouldn’t you want a presence in all of Mario?

Sure Nintendo might not be willing but why not? They work with Square all the time in DQ and FF plus several other 3rd party developers.

Square works with Disney in Kh and Armor Project and Bird Studio for DQ so I don’t see why they wouldn’t at least CONSIDER it

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Lets remember that Geno is connected directly to MARIO and shares that distinction with Mallow. These are the only two Square characters in history with that distinction, to my knowledge. I’ll say that again, DIRECT ties not just to Nintendo, but MARIO.
Your post is absolutely correct in general, but actually, there both FF and DQ characters linked directly to Mario with Fortune Streets for DQ. And Mario Sport's Games guest appearance like Black Mage/White mage etc...
Both FF and DQ had some history with Mario itself

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Your post is absolutely correct in general, but actually, there both FF and DQ characters linked directly to Mario with Fortune Streets for DQ. And Mario Sport's Games guest appearance like Black Mage/White mage etc...
But they aren't tied directly to Mario. They may have appeared with Mario, but you wouldn't say that they are directly linked to Mario. Geno is

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm hopefully getting some more info bombs in the next few days. Hopefully. I've got 3 pieces of info on standby, but still no answers yet.
If he's talking about what I think he's talking, Smash fans are going to be pretty happy. There's one bit of news that's been sat on hard for months and nobody's even publically hinted at it because it's pointless; any actual hints would give it away instantly. It's one of those things that a vast majority of people gave up on a long time ago and would probably bring people back to Smashboards who left years ago just to talk about it. I might even characterize it as a tear jerker but that's probably hyperbole. It's one of those things that's off the radar but once and if it's shown a lot of people will probably be like "wow, I forgot I wanted that."

paper roxy

Smash Ace
I agree with your post; here's my schtick: a game should be able to carry itself regardless of leaks. Even if Ridley and Rool were leaked, there still would've been skeptics since it always seemed undoable, but people still would've been happy.

My case in point is if Grinch was real, people still would've been flying high, regardless of it being leaked. Leaks don't ruin games; poor design choices, decision-making, etc. does. I'm sick of the "hype" YouTube reaction culture. Remember when games were able to sell before Nintendo Directs and YouTube reactions? Remember finding out about Melee's roster via the guidebook at Walmart, or the Brawl newcomers via the Dojo, with zero fanfare? That was my era. :shades:

Anyway, I understand I'm in the minority over Piranha Plant, and that most consider it their savior or something; whatever. I get people like it, but I feel like some are feigning over-enthusiasm to rub it in.
if you're the minority over plant, im right there with you. i absolutely feel like kencineroar + plant was a horrible way to end the hype cycle and was honestly the most underwhelming smash reveal in the history of the series. though, i can imagine erdrick being somehow even more underwhelming. like, not even in just a "he got in over geno???" way but in like, a "he got in in general" way.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
I thought Fortune Street is Japan only?

And regardless, those are all specifically Square characters from Square franchises. You could argue that’s just Square characters guesting in Mario. Mallow and Geno remain Square characters from a Mario franchise and continue to be the only two with that distinction.

In my opinion, It is much more unlikely for someone at Nintendo to reach out to Square for, say, a Chocobo or Black Mage when working on a new game than for Geno or Mallow who actually belong to the universe

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
If he's talking about what I think he's talking, Smash fans are going to be pretty happy. There's one bit of news that's been sat on hard for months and nobody's even publically hinted at it because it's pointless; any actual hints would give it away instantly. It's one of those things that a vast majority of people gave up on a long time ago and would probably bring people back to Smashboards who left years ago just to talk about it. I might even characterize it as a tear jerker but that's probably hyperbole. It's one of those things that's off the radar but once and if it's shown a lot of people will probably be like "wow, I forgot I wanted that."
Intriguing.... i hope we hear more.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
FINALLY ! GOKU FOR SMASH?!!! :denzel:

Last edited:

paper roxy

Smash Ace
ohhhh geez. this could be good for geno if its mentioned in the geno thread but.. i still dont want to get my hopes up anymore. i genuinely cant handle getting stressed over geno whenever we get anywhere close to a potential character reveal. doing that for almost 3 years is getting tiring

bardbowman

Smash Apprentice
No way...

GUYS. Tripping is coming back!

ChoccyStar

Smash Apprentice
Oh boy Peach upskirt is back!

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Okay so we're getting Home-Run Contest back except choosing Random gives you a high chance to play as Sandbag.

This is also how you unlock Sandbag for multiplayer Smash, and it also puts him on the CSS screen in the Stadium modes.

Am I right?!?!?!?!

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Welp.

My brain is sitting here trying to think back over Smash's past history to see what we could have possibly forgotten about that we all would want.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Okay so we're getting Home-Run Contest back except choosing Random gives you a high chance to play as Sandbag.

This is also how you unlock Sandbag for multiplayer Smash, and it also puts him on the CSS screen in the Stadium modes.

Am I right?!?!?!?!
Why do I suddenly want this?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
And I look forward to it. I may be new(Comparatively), but I love this sort of thing. Must be something from back in the Melee-Brawl days if its very old.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
im so conflicted at this point. i dont feel like fatman or polar would make such a big deal out of this potential info in the geno thread if it didnt bode well for geno, but at the same time i dont even want to believe its geno anymore. i genuinely cant take constantly getting hyped and insanely disappointed, not to mention stressed every time any potential info is even close to coming out. im starting to hate this hype cycle, ive only been a part of it (mostly lurking) for 3 years, i cant imagine how it feels for the people whove been here since the brawl days.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I was in there for the K Rool confirmation. IDK where I was when Ridley was confirmed
I was there for Rool too. I can remember something being said there that was to the effect of "finally, we can rest now".

If it's something that I didn't put much stock into...I'd be so happy, you wouldn't believe.

One example of that would be Plum...

im so conflicted at this point. i dont feel like fatman or polar would make such a big deal out of this potential info in the geno thread if it didnt bode well for geno, but at the same time i dont even want to believe its geno anymore. i genuinely cant take constantly getting hyped and insanely disappointed, not to mention stressed every time any potential info is even close to coming out. im starting to hate this hype cycle, ive only been a part of it (mostly lurking) for 3 years, i cant imagine how it feels for the people whove been here since the brawl days.
For you, it's the most important time in your life.

But for me, it's only saturday.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Welp.

My brain is sitting here trying to think back over Smash's past history to see what we could have possibly forgotten about that we all would want.
Tiny off-topic just to say
You know.
For A SECOND
SPLIT OF A SECOND.

My blood boiled, thinking it was the ****ing Grinch as your Avatar.

Thanks god I realized it was best girl She-Hulk at the last moment, before insulting you in 50 different language and suing you for mental triggering.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Also, I wanted to take a quick moment to thank you all for being cool about all this. There have been issues with fans being a little, uh, aggressive towards people like PolarPanda and I'm glad you all are being level headed and respectful (at least so far). Looks good on the fanbase because, Christ on Toast, people are being real a-hole-a-roonies else where. Also, because, you all have been so cool, I'm going to post a TOTALLY REAL AND NOT AT ALL FAKE hint about the two finalists. Take a look:

What did he mean by this

AugustusB

Smash Champion
You can't do this to us! If I had to venture a guess as to what this is...it must be a character. We technically have a story mode so that goes away. Something that people gave up on long ago...It must be.

Mother F****** BANJO KAZOOIE!!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
While true, it should also be noted that Square developed both games so, in a weird, legal sense, the FF and DQ characters were actually "the home team" while the Mario characters were guests. Meanwhile, Square also developed SMRPG but Daddy Miyamoto himself was the producer of the game. The point is that, when it comes to crossovers, Mario has crossovered with DQ, not the other way around. Aside from SMRPG, Square had creative control in these games. In other words, Mario was being liscensed to Square, DQ characters weren't being liscensed to Nintendo.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Tiny off-topic just to say
You know.
For A SECOND
SPLIT OF A SECOND.

My blood boiled, thinking it was the ****ing Grinch as your Avatar.

Thanks god I realized it was best girl She-Hulk at the last moment, before insulting you in 50 different language and suing you for mental triggering.
Funny enough.

I considered a Grinch avatar to be a little ****.

G0nard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
G0nard
Switch FC
SW-0192-8472-4336
DANG IT YOU GUYS THIS WAITING ON THE INFO BOMB THING IS KILLING ME X-X.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom