• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
You are also ingnoring that spirits are a replacement of trophies, which, again, Mewtwo and Lucas were trophies in Smash 4 before they were DLC. Spirits take less development time than trophies. And, Pit and Pikachu have spirits, and they are the exact same character that is playable in the game. DLC characters can have fighter spirits that are named, for example, Geno (fighter). So, if we are going by your logic, then Pit and Pikachu are deconfirmed. Yep. Spirits don't deconfirm, playable characters have spirits, a previous example is that trophies didn't deconfirm, and it doesn't matter if they have different properties, they are replacements. And, you are also ignoring that not having a spirit doesn't increase a character's chances. Sylux didn't have a trophy in Smash 4, but didn't become playable. Same thing will go with spirits, and Sakurai confirmed that spirits are EQUIVALENT to trophies, and characters who were trophies became DLC, and a character who didn't have a trophy didn't become DLC. You are just grasping for straws if you think spirits deconfirm
Spirits are a replacement, but they aren't the same thing. They aren't interactive like spirits, and were in way less quantity than trophies ever had. Pit and Pikachu are spirits, but are explicitly labeled as a variation of the original, not the true fighter spirit. Spirits have different classes. Trophies never had this sort of class system. Playable characters have fighter spirits. Non playable characters don't. Trophies didn't deconfirm because they weren't even labeled as fighter trophies. Sylux didn't have a trophy, but other hunters also didn't, but for some reason now there are hunters with spirits, except him (even though he is predominantly appearing at the end of MP games setting up to be the main antagonist of MP4). Sakurai only stated that trophies were a hassle to model and develop, so they went the jpg route and created spirits, which was not only easier to put in the game, but is also easier to get in much larger quantities. Ryu, Cloud and Bayo weren't trophies before becoming DLC though. Neither Corrin, afaik. So, basically every point you constructed doesn't hold ground.

If he's talking about what I think he's talking, Smash fans are going to be pretty happy. There's one bit of news that's been sat on hard for months and nobody's even publically hinted at it because it's pointless; any actual hints would give it away instantly. It's one of those things that a vast majority of people gave up on a long time ago and would probably bring people back to Smashboards who left years ago just to talk about it. I might even characterize it as a tear jerker but that's probably hyperbole. It's one of those things that's off the radar but once and if it's shown a lot of people will probably be like "wow, I forgot I wanted that."
Every time you post gives me the chills. That is one hype thing to suggest.
What I think is that this refers to modes being added as free DLC. And some of these modes include Break the Targets, Home Run Contest, and, the one thing we forgot, Board the Platforms for each character, with levels themed and designed for each fighter. That would be absolutely awesome.
Maybe a filter for previous Smash games?
What I was speculating was the possibility of, later in the future, Sakurai use these characters to create a new game that isn't a fighting game, but rather a different genre with a different story and use of characters. I think it would be quite fresh and exciting!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Yo, you gonna have to stop teasing or I'mma sue you if this don't happen.
It's dumb. Like I said, direct hints make it stupid easy to guess, which is why nobody has taken it to Twitter or anything like that. If it was hinted clearly, it would all be but expected because the wiggle room for wrong answers is tiny. In this case, I think a lot more people would be happy if it were a total surprise.

Gum-Gum Smash

Smash Apprentice
Reaching too hard here. Most people don't actively want it anymore but not in a bad way. It's like Anton Ego in Ratatouille, it's something that a lot of people stopped wanting but, in a way, not really; it's just people figured it'd never happen and moved on. It doesn't mean a lot to me personally but I think it would mean a lot to older Smash fans.
Hmm Meta Crystal 64 stage maybe? There's some other things I can think of. Btw like the Ratatouille comparison lol

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
Everyone wanted Tails back during Melee days because of that magazine prank.

That's legit the only thing I could think of. People just sort of stopped talking about him oddly enough once Sonic was in., but back then it was ''We need Sonic and Tails for real now."
ME! I need him lol! I really hope we get Tails somehow!

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
That would be safe assumption. It reminds me of SMRPG though. Just one of those things that people hard fell in love with despite it coming out of nowhere and pops up again and again as a game that shaped a lot of people's childhoods and teenage years.
HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM....

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM....

Mfw my childhood, teenages years was basically Chrono Triggers, Final fantasy games from 6 to 12, Melee, Brawl, Fighting games, TWEWY ,KH, Metal gear and rythmn games

I think i'm not the right demographic.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I'm really at a loss for what it could be, unless it's playable Bosses or something.

Really, I'll probably have no idea until people start talking about it online after the game releases.

Rummy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rummy
Switch FC
7820-4094-4523
Yo. The "hint" Fatmanonice Fatmanonice dropped was just a joke. I wouldn't take the video too seriously. and no he has no embargo or any of that, he only knows as much as i do in regards to the current situations with Polar and the Source.

Last edited:

G83mBoy

Smash Cadet
It's dumb. Like I said, direct hints make it stupid easy to guess, which is why nobody has taken it to Twitter or anything like that. If it was hinted clearly, it would all be but expected because the wiggle room for wrong answers is tiny. In this case, I think a lot more people would be happy if it were a total surprise.
To clarify, is this a character?

Dan

Smash Lord
if you're the minority over plant, im right there with you. i absolutely feel like kencineroar + plant was a horrible way to end the hype cycle and was honestly the most underwhelming smash reveal in the history of the series. though, i can imagine erdrick being somehow even more underwhelming. like, not even in just a "he got in over geno???" way but in like, a "he got in in general" way.
"You want Goku? Here, have Erdrick."

Just another way of Nintendo misunderstanding their fans; if our character doesn't get in, we don't want Mii costumes, Assist Trophies or Spirits. That's borderline worse; not only does it take them out of the running, but it's also like if I want to play as Toad, don't even bother with this abomination.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Spirits are a replacement, but they aren't the same thing. They aren't interactive like spirits, and were in way less quantity than trophies ever had. Pit and Pikachu are spirits, but are explicitly labeled as a variation of the original, not the true fighter spirit. Spirits have different classes. Trophies never had this sort of class system. Playable characters have fighter spirits. Non playable characters don't. Trophies didn't deconfirm because they weren't even labeled as fighter trophies. Sylux didn't have a trophy, but other hunters also didn't, but for some reason now there are hunters with spirits, except him (even though he is predominantly appearing at the end of MP games setting up to be the main antagonist of MP4). Sakurai only stated that trophies were a hassle to model and develop, so they went the jpg route and created spirits, which was not only easier to put in the game, but is also easier to get in much larger quantities. Ryu, Cloud and Bayo weren't trophies before becoming DLC though. Neither Corrin, afaik. So, basically every point you constructed doesn't hold ground.
\/QUOTE]

That's just it. They take LESS development time than trophies. That's why there's so many. Missing spirits mean nothing unless you think Panther from Star Fox Assault is getting into Smash

G0nard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
G0nard
Switch FC
SW-0192-8472-4336
That would be safe assumption. It reminds me of SMRPG though. Just one of those things that people hard fell in love with despite it coming out of nowhere and pops up again and again as a game that shaped a lot of people's childhoods and teenage years.
Reminds you of SMRPG....Just things that people hard fell in love with....shaped a lot of people's childhoods and teenage years....*GASP* PAPER MARIO!!....am i right?

AugustusB

Smash Champion
At this point, lets just wait till we either A) They get a green light to share or B) When it get announced.

Starting to think this is a very quality of life feature we have all but forgotten.

D

Deleted member

Every time you post gives me the chills. That is one hype thing to suggest.
What I think is that this refers to modes being added as free DLC. And some of these modes include Break the Targets, Home Run Contest, and, the one thing we forgot, Board the Platforms for each character, with levels themed and designed for each fighter. That would be absolutely awesome.
Maybe a filter for previous Smash games?
What I was speculating was the possibility of, later in the future, Sakurai use these characters to create a new game that isn't a fighting game, but rather a different genre with a different story and use of characters. I think it would be quite fresh and exciting!
Those other DLC characters not having trophies doesn't mean anything, and what is important to note is that 2 DLC characters were trophies before they were playable, and again, it doesn't matter if trophies and spirits have different properties, spirits are a replacement of trophies. And, like I said, the spirits labeled differently can be changed with an update, or they can get a fighter spirit with (fighter) after their name. It doesn't matter if something is labeled differently, Pit and Pikachu are both characters and spirits, and neither of them are fighter spirits. Spirit labels can be changed, or the DLC characters will have a fighter spirit with (fighter) after their name. There isn't any reason to believe spirits deconfirm, playable characters have spirits, labels can be changed, new fighter spirits can be made for DLC characters, Mewtwo and Lucas were trophies before they were DLC in Smash 4, and spirits replace trophies. Keyword that you don't seem to get: REPLACE. Sakurai confirmed in an interview about spirits that spirits are EQUIVALENT to trophies, EQUIVALENT. So no, spirits do not deconfirm, and before you say the labels are different therefore deconfirm, labels can be changed, or new ones can be different with fighter spirits.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
One last statement on this: if you're a Zoomer, you probably won't care or even know what it is. I can see a lot of Zoomers whining about it, unfortunately.
That's actually a much broader category than stuff Zoomers don't whine about

owjies

Smash Journeyman
One last statement on this: if you're a Zoomer, you probably won't care or even know what it is. I can see a lot of Zoomers whining about it, unfortunately.
So what you're saying is the Microsoft rep is Battletoads.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
At this point, lets just wait till we either A) They get a green light to share or B) When it get announced.

Starting to think this is a very quality of life feature we have all but forgotten.
i dont think its a mode or quality of life feature if its something that shaped peoples childhoods. may just be me, but race to the finish and homerun contest didnt shape my childhood or remind me of smrpg. not to mention that if its something Those Darn Zoomers wouldnt get it probably isnt directly tied to smash

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
A new Switch Edition that need 6 AAA Batteries and run out of battery in 2 hours.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
sadly its not geno related according to fatman. still, its strange to me why he'd bring it up in a geno thread despite that. maybe its vaguely related to geno somehow but idk.
Only in a Seven Degrees of Kevin Bacon sense (do people still play this?). I talk about it here because you all are my comrades and I like the idea of these things reaching your eyes first. Yeah, this one in particular is kind of cruel but, if I've learned anything, it's very unlikely that DLC is going to be the blowout disappointment that people are expecting. I think people have a lot to look forward to, again, even if some of the things are things that have been off people's wishlists for years.

owjies

Smash Journeyman
I grew up with Battletoads. Never got past the Turbo Tunnel but it was one of my favorite NES games
Beating Turbo Tunnel is one of my proudest video game achievements back in the day. Could never get 100 super jumps in SMRPG sadly. I think I got 40 something on my SNES Classic run though.

I probably would shed a boomer tear or two if turbo tunnel was a stage.

Super_Queijo

Smash Apprentice
Mmm childhood memories like SMRPG...something zoomers would complain... it’s either Mistical Ninja Goemon or Earthworm Jim, that’s my bet

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
It's totally Tom Nook

> Wanted Before villager was a thing
> "Deconfirmed" because he's in villager's final smash (Chrom)

Tom Nookonfirmed
I wouldn’t mind Tom Nook, I hope his Final Smash is related to this:

Also, this should be appropriate as his victory animation, surrounded by millions of bells that he beat out of other fighters :laugh::
1CDDDAE7-A4EF-44B9-A26A-003F780D82D2.gif

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Maybe it's cause I try to stay out of the competitive scene and it's hang ups and drama.

I have no idea what a zoomer is.

Can someone please explain to a poor innocent boy?

owjies

Smash Journeyman
Only in a Seven Degrees of Kevin Bacon sense (do people still play this?). I talk about it here because you all are my comrades and I like the idea of these things reaching your eyes first. Yeah, this one in particular is kind of cruel but, if I've learned anything, it's very unlikely that DLC is going to be the blowout disappointment that people are expecting. I think people have a lot to look forward to, again, even if some of the things are things that have been off people's wishlists for years.
Honestly, even this is fantastic news. My hope for the DLC has been that even if we don't get exactly what we want Nintendo will still do us proud. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Oh well. I sure as **** ain't a Zoomer.

So wait it's gonna be something that will piss off the people who basically thought Pac Man was irrelevant and didn't deserve it then?

Last edited:

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Those other DLC characters not having trophies doesn't mean anything, and what is important to note is that 2 DLC characters were trophies before they were playable, and again, it doesn't matter if trophies and spirits have different properties, spirits are a replacement of trophies. And, like I said, the spirits labeled differently can be changed with an update, or they can get a fighter spirit with (fighter) after their name. It doesn't matter if something is labeled differently, Pit and Pikachu are both characters and spirits, and neither of them are fighter spirits. Spirit labels can be changed, or the DLC characters will have a fighter spirit with (fighter) after their name. There isn't any reason to believe spirits deconfirm, playable characters have spirits, labels can be changed, new fighter spirits can be made for DLC characters, Mewtwo and Lucas were trophies before they were DLC in Smash 4, and spirits replace trophies. Keyword that you don't seem to get: REPLACE. Sakurai confirmed in an interview about spirits that spirits are EQUIVALENT to trophies, EQUIVALENT. So no, spirits do not deconfirm, and before you say the labels are different therefore deconfirm, labels can be changed, or new ones can be different with fighter spirits.
You are basing your argument on conditional evidence. You have nothing that proves that spirits can be changed in a blink of an eye, or that spirits and DLCs weren't planned alongside each other. You sound desperate to try to disprove this bc this puts your character at risk. I'm cheering just as you are, but facts don't care about feelings. We have at hand what Sakurai stated. That spirits are a replacement for trophies, and that fighters aren't normal spirits. They aren't equivalent bc their functions and class system are way different. Pit and Pikachu have spirits that aren't in the fighter class but are labeled as a variant of the original. Most of the characters that are spirits don't have that, and thus, would be deconfirmed due to consistency. Mewtwo and Lucas were trophies before they were decided to be DLC in the first place. Again, you seem to repeat a lot of points I counterargued and you haven't brought anything that is logically a disproval of anything I said. Also, there's even a detailed Gamefaqs post listing the things Sakurai said about fighter spirits and how they differ from normal spirits. You should check that out. All you need is a confirmation, that you don't have yet, that they would change the labelling of existing spirits. For now, we have to believe what we have in our hands.

On the topic of the hype news, is this regarding a character or a mode?
Would that be a Tetris character? Maybe something that defined Nintendo in the late 80s?

I honestly do think he's a viable candidate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom