• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Yeah, you make a good point, for instance the main likely reason why Bomberman became an AT is because Saukrai wasn't able to come up with anything interesting for him at the time, but he does have him acknowledged in a big way in the meantime. He would need to sit down and sift through the various main entries and spin-offs to find something that compliments him planting bombs. This type of approach could work for Dragon Quest characters, which is helped by the fact that he wouldn't be limited to the equivalent of yet another FE lord, since DQ is a different set of toys, so to speak.

Fixed that for you. Honestly, this kind of problem is everywhere I go on it. :glare:
To be honest, we all gotta admit Sakurai isn’t flawless.

Bomberman not getting in despite having much more support than Simon was likely due to Sakurai not being able to come up with a moveset for him, which is imo absurd if you’ve played even a bit of Bomberman.

There’s also the fact that clearly he doesn’t see Toad (Toad!) as a fighter, as he has the kind of pedigree where he should have been in a while ago. Ditto Dixie, though we know that he tried with her.

The Isaac AT is also a point of contention. Sakurai appears to be under the impression that Move attacks are what makes Isaac unique, when any fan will tell you that what makes him stand out is being a geomancer.

At the same time, he made a moveset for a potted plant, so clearly the guy can make one for anything.

D

Deleted member

"We wanted to provide a solid single-player experience, but at the same time, we didn’t have enough development resources especially for creating character models. That’s where the idea came from. We needed to come up with a system that is fun and not a repetitive experience even when you battle against [computer players] repeatedly.
Cons for this system are:
Because there are so many fighters, we can’t tell stories for each individual fighter in detail. We can’t support creating exclusive stages/terrains (i.e. side-scroll action game terrain, etc.) for it. We can’t add new rules, etc. On the other hand, pros are:
We can utilize a variety of characters (But not featuring figures anymore)
We have a large pool of music, stages and fighters. With all that in mind as a whole, we concluded that we should create something themed after this large library of characters outside of fighters, and let players enjoy simulating fights using them. Everything else expanded from that base idea."

Is this what your talking about? Can you tell me where he said Spirits don't deconfirm fighters I honestly don't know

Edit: I'm not saying Geno doesn't have a chance. I'm just saying what I've been thinking
I'd also like to know, no part of that says "Spirits don't deconfirm fighters" to me. In fact, all it says is "We made spirits for non-fighters"
https://mobile.twitter.com/KirbyGamecube/status/1067077325815259136?s=19

StormC

Smash Hero
Storm came in here and basically accused all of us of "trying to rewrite history" as if we were menacingly manufacturing propaganda to spread to the rest of the board because of one thing one person said. If there was one person who blew things out of proportion, it was them. I even said the person's statement was wrong but I also clarified that the entire fanbase was not accountable for someone being wrong despite this weird notion that we were supposed to collectively chastise them.
I saw the post as a symptom of a larger problem with how discussion was handled in this thread. I've seen other instances but that one stood out the most to me. At most, I said it made the thread "unpleasant." Unpleasant is not a nasty word. It just means the discussion is not pleasant, actively not enjoyable. If you read into that sentiment as me accusing Geno fans of "manufacturing propaganda" then I don't know what to tell you. Perhaps "you guys" was not the best word choice of mine, but again, I stand by it being a reflection of the way discussion goes down in this thread sometimes, especially some of the more aggressive reactions you've had towards me simply saying "hey guys, maybe this isn't the best way to handle this topic."

If you feel defensive over my posts, ask yourself why I'm even posting them. Is it to drag Geno fans' reputation through the dirt, or anything more than asking for discussion to be less negative?

Last edited:

Gum-Gum Smash

Smash Apprentice
Yeah the problem with that statement is that he is making large generalizations in his original post putting in “you all” to describe to treatment of StormC with respect to the Cloud thing and other subjects and making big generalizations about the thread as a whole. If he wants to speak specifically to what certain people said that’s fine. But that’s not what he did.

I mean there have been plenty of times where I made a certain point and was basically ignored and another person made the same point a few pages later and it developed into an in-depth discussion on said point. That’s the nature of fast moving threads like this. People are definitely welcome to different points of view but if someone just comes into the thread saying Sora is more likely than Geno for example after we’ve gone over that argument dozens of times do you think we’re really going to invest heavily in what that person is saying? Probably not. We’re just going to restate what has been brought up and move on. If someone is going to decide they hate Geno and never want to play SMRPG over an internet disagreement or not switching the minds of an entire thread on Geno’s chances over some small detail they should reevaluate some things in life.
I'm not trying to change people's minds. What I replied to was stating that people come in and hate on Geno, which isn't what I'm doing. I'm just talking. I actually really don't care if someone replies to me, I just wanted to state my thoughts.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I said this in my first message. I was mostly talking about Chrono Trigger and not Spirits. But my point about Spirits was that everything was planned in the beginning. How do you know Nintendo didn't pick the characters, then Sakurai purposely didn't put them as Spirits. Especially since we know DLC was planned, because missing SSS spots and Rex. If it was Wave 2, you'd probably have a point
People are arguing that spirits deconfirm without actually knowing. We don't know if they do. You can believe they do or believe they don't.

The problem is people are asserting it's true on the belief of a theoretical situation. "What if this". It's not true just because you can't prove the theoretical situation didn't happen.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
That was Ryce, my guy, not polar.
Still a reliable source.

I'm still trying to figure out what people want exactly. No debating no matter how objective you are? Believe everyone has equal chances? Be on board with everything presented here? Just say nothing if you disagree on something? I keep hearing about how we're being mean and I don't see it. We're not invading other boards. We're not doing raids. There's no propaganda mill or grand Geno conspiracy. Nobody is saying Geno is 100% in and people have expressed doubts but they're paths walked like every other page. As far as I know no mods are telling us we're out of line. So, strangely, we're being told to police ourselves and everybody is accountable for everybody and it honestly makes me wonder if other threads are genuinely being held to this same standard. Whole lotta pearl clutching, honestly.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I'm not trying to change people's minds. What I replied to was stating that people come in and hate on Geno, which isn't what I'm doing. I'm just talking. I actually really don't care if someone replies to me, I just wanted to state my thoughts.
I think you’re misunderstanding my post. My point was addressing what you brought up over someone deciding they hate Geno and never want to play SMRPG over something said in the thread. I don’t think anyone is accusing you of hating Geno. Tbh I don’t even recognize you at all from these discussions. I was just saying people shouldn’t get offended just because people in a Geno thread don’t agree with the points they’re making.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
So I'm just curious.... what would be your Square List of Priority when it comes to Smash?

I'd have to go Geno > Chrono > Sora > Sephiroth > Lara Croft >>>>>>>> Slime >>>>>>>>>>> Other DQ rep.
for me itd be geno >>>> chrono >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>sephiroth>>> all of the other squenix characters>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>sora

Gum-Gum Smash

Smash Apprentice
People are arguing that spirits deconfirm without actually knowing. We don't know if they do. You can believe they do or believe they don't.

The problem is people are asserting it's true on the belief of a theoretical situation. "What if this". It's not true just because you can't prove the theoretical situation didn't happen.
Yeah. I mean it could go either way. I even said in that post that I could be wrong. But as of now I'm just looking at the evidence, and it points towards deconfirmation. That doesn't mean it's true

Gum-Gum Smash

Smash Apprentice
I think you’re misunderstanding my post. My point was addressing what you brought up over someone deciding they hate Geno and never want to play SMRPG over something said in the thread. I don’t think anyone is accusing you of hating Geno. Tbh I don’t even recognize you at all from these discussions. I was just saying people shouldn’t get offended just because people in a Geno thread don’t agree with the points they’re making.
Oh. I was just talking about what someone else was saying that it could turn people off who've never played the game. I know a lot of people that hate Waluigi because of Waluigi fans, but that doesn't mean everyone. Yeah, I just made an account, and wanted to join the discusion like I said. I've been around smash since 64/Melee came out. I'm not offended, and no one else should be because of differing opinions, I guess I was just reiterating what someone else said
Edit: I know this is the Geno thread and it should be about the love of Geno, but it's also nice to brace ourselves and have discusion about his chances if he's not in. A fan base might not make people hate the character or the game, but for newcomers, or people who don't know, it could turn people away if they are all yes men. Maybe I don't understand what your saying

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Looking at the list of leaked spirits I've noticed a couple of things.

First, a bunch of Link and Zelda incarnations. The fact that Alfonzo replaces Conductor Link regardless of which Link is on the screen would seem to point to the attitude that such a thing would be impossible in a scenario where Spirits deconfirm characters.

Second, and most important, is the existence of this View attachment 179926 guy right here. This Spirit is called Pit (Original). Unlike the Links, unlike all of K. Rool's costumes and every other naysaying opinion we have to contend with regarding Spirits, this is the exact same character as the Pit we have in the game. There's no alternate timeline stuff going on in the Kid Icarus universe--Pit is Pit.

This opens up an avenue where a character's original art, let's say for example an isometric render from the 90s, can have its own Spirit alongside the modern design for a character with no conflicts.

From this point forward I don't want to see anyone saying Spirits deconfirm characters until the day they remove Pit from the game.
Yeah. I mean it could go either way. I even said in that post that I could be wrong. But as of now I'm just looking at the evidence, and it points towards deconfirmation. That doesn't mean it's true
xpnc xpnc post explains pretty clearly why spirits don't deconfirm, and on top of this, Sakurai confirmed that spirits don't deconfirm, and I posted a link to that in my previous post

FCZHornet

Smash Apprentice
You guys crack me up with the talk of “raids” on other characters forums. I think a deep breath is in order, we’re in a pretty obscure little corner of the internet here. This is a fun ride and I’ll miss it when it’s done.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
I'm personally still lost on the thought that "Spirits De-confirm" characters. I ask this, since I've looked at the list of spirits and there are spirits of playable fighters on the roster already. Even images of them. So with that theory, then the whole roster has been de-confirmed.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
I know that I'm late to this, look what I found!

I was a lurker on the old forums, but people like you guys are the reason why I wanted Geno and Ridley. Even though I didn't play their games at the time, people would talk about them all the time. I may not expect Geno, but I can still hope for him, right?
that bill cosby in the signature didnt age well lol

Gum-Gum Smash

Smash Apprentice
xpnc xpnc post explains pretty clearly why spirits don't deconfirm, and on top of this, Sakurai confirmed that spirits don't deconfirm, and I posted a link to that in my previous post
Look, my original point wasn't about Spirits. I was just saying it's weird that certain ones are missing. My point was that if we are going to keep discussing Dragon Quest, which doesn't have a chance against him, we should focus on Crono instead, who I think has a better shot

Also, I still don't see when Sakurai said they weren't, but I will look at what you said

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I saw the post as a symptom of a larger problem with how discussion was handled in this thread. I've seen other instances but that one stood out the most to me. At most, I said it made the thread "unpleasant." Unpleasant is not a nasty word. It just means the discussion is not pleasant, actively not enjoyable. If you read into that sentiment as me accusing Geno fans of "manufacturing propaganda" then I don't know what to tell you. Perhaps "you guys" was not the best word choice of mine, but again, I stand by it being a reflection of the way discussion goes down in this thread sometimes, especially some of the more aggressive reactions you've had towards me simply saying "hey guys, maybe this isn't the best way to handle this topic."

If you feel defensive over my posts, ask yourself why I'm even posting them. Is it to drag Geno fans' reputation through the dirt, or anything more than asking for discussion to be less negative?
I don't know if the slang is still relevant but what you're doing is mini-modding, and this is coming from someone who was a mod during Brawl and Smash 4. You're scolding the entire thread despite no forum rules being broken. We're not being bad neighbors. Being on the defense is not "negative." I don't see insults being thrown around, in fact, most people are even correctly spacing out their paragraphs with their rebuttals and arguments. You imply that this thread needs an intervention like a drunk dad who threw up on Christmas Dinner. I'll just ask this: what do you want? Let's pretend this is a customer service desk at Walmart and just go from there.

D

Deleted member

Look, my original point wasn't about Spirits. I was just saying it's weird that certain ones are missing. My point was that if we are going to keep discussing Dragon Quest, which doesn't have a chance against him, we should focus on Crono instead, so I think has a better shot
I know it wasn't, but your second to last post said that spirits point towards deconfirmation, and I made this post to explain why they aren't deconfirmation

Gum-Gum Smash

Smash Apprentice
I'm personally still lost on the thought that "Spirits De-confirm" characters. I ask this, since I've looked at the list of spirits and there are spirits of playable fighters on the roster already. Even images of them. So with that theory, then the whole roster has been de-confirmed.
Yes, but those fighter Spirits are not able to be equipped and they make the distinction between them by calling those ones fighter Spirits, and the other ones just Spirits (to my knowledge)

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You guys crack me up with the talk of “raids” on other characters forums. I think a deep breath is in order, we’re in a pretty obscure little corner of the internet here. This is a fun ride and I’ll miss it when it’s done.
Sure, but there's still the occasional person that decides to insult a character's chances on their specific support thread. It's pretty much akin to poking a beehive with a stick.

At least it's good to find someone else with a level head around here sometimes.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I don't know if the slang is still relevant but what you're doing is mini-modding, and this is coming from someone who was a mod during Brawl and Smash 4. You're scolding the entire thread despite no forum rules being broken. We're not being bad neighbors. Being on the defense is not "negative." I don't see insults being thrown around, in fact, most people are even correctly spacing out their paragraphs with their rebuttals and arguments. You imply that this thread needs an intervention like a drunk dad who threw up on Christmas Dinner. I'll just ask this: what do you want? Let's pretend this is a customer service desk at Walmart and just go from there.
I used to work in customer service at a Walmart a long time ago and I can tell you know customers do not know what they want. But whatever it is, they are willing to rage at you to have it.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I typed a larger response to your previous post, which mostly addresses this:

Still a reliable source.

I'm still trying to figure out what people want exactly. No debating no matter how objective you are? Believe everyone has equal chances? Be on board with everything presented here? Just say nothing if you disagree on something? I keep hearing about how we're being mean and I don't see it. We're not invading other boards. We're not doing raids. There's no propaganda mill or grand Geno conspiracy. Nobody is saying Geno is 100% in and people have expressed doubts but they're paths walked like every other page. As far as I know no mods are telling us we're out of line. So, strangely, we're being told to police ourselves and everybody is accountable for everybody and it honestly makes me wonder if other threads are genuinely being held to this same standard. Whole lotta pearl clutching, honestly.
If you want my honest, unfiltered opinion, I feel a lot of people in this thread have blown Geno up to be something more than he is. He's a popular request among diehard Smash fans but that doesn't really reflect the 10+ million people who will buy Smash Ultimate. While Sakurai has certainly shown his ability to go out of the way for fan requests for less mainstream characters like K. Rool, that doesn't mean he won't pick bigger characters either (and Geno is a far deeper cut than K. Rool was). When Cloud was revealed, I noticed some bitterness in the K. Rool thread at the time, even though Cloud is a far bigger, more iconic character, and I say this as a huge fan of both characters. If you want the thread to be approachable to outsiders (and maybe you don't, for all I know), optics are pretty important. K. Rool fans became a laughingstock to many after their reactions to the Corrin/Bayonetta DLC. I only offer my advice and perspective. If you don't want that, then that's fair, and I'll stay out of the thread because this perspective doesn't seem welcome by some.

I think some people in this thread, frankly speaking, have needed a reality check about who Geno is. If one truly believes Geno would be a more "hype" character than a more mainstream one like Sora, to the general gaming community (not just the Smash community), then there's little point in having a discussion because virtually no one outside of this thread shares that sentiment. It turns the thread into a circlejerk and that is, as I said, unpleasant.

There's nothing wrong with admitting your character is an underdog. Geno isn't some gaming titan and we have no idea whether or not he will get in. There's so little to go off of at this point. And it's okay to root for him against other, bigger characters, lord knows I stuck behind K. Rool for so long despite everything. But when discussion comes around the way of "what's so great about Dragon Quest anyway?" or "nobody but Final Fantasy fans cared about Cloud," I see it as part of a larger problem with how this thread has put Geno on a pedestal. And that snowballs into the general unpleasantness of before.

If you see my sentiment as "pearl-clutching," and are not interested in actually pondering why several people have pointed out how the way this thread conducts itself is not enjoyable, then I will simply leave as you have suggested before.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
You misunderstand. I don’t think that Sakurai would have to dig deep at all to come up with a moveset. Anyone who plays a Dragon Quest game sees there’s enough items and spells to easily come up with a unique moveset.

What I’m saying is, if Sakurai, for some reason, isn’t able to create a unique character out of that (and again, we don’t really have a sword + spellcaster aside from Robin, so there’s a lot of room to make a character unique in that niche), he can still pull from other games in the series (like you say, third party characters are an accumulation of their franchise). The monster catching aspect (which is just an example) is no side trait, as it inspired its own spinoff series and was a precursor to Pokémon.

What I’m saying is, it’s super easy to come up with a unique moveset for a DQ character. If Sakurai wills it (or, more accurately, if Nintendo wants him to), he can and will.

Funny, the other day I said the same thing but replacing Spirits with Assist Trophies and I got **** on.

This thread can be a circle jerk sometimes...
I would be inclined to agree with you. I don't generally see ATs as deconfirmation. Only reason I don't see ATs being wave 1 dlc is because my informant told me ATs aren't being promoted, as of this DLC wave. Though they likely would if a wave 2 got decided on.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I would be inclined to agree with you. I don't generally see ATs as deconfirmation. Only reason I don't see ATs being wave 1 dlc is because my informant told me ATs aren't being promoted, as of this DLC wave. Though they likely would if a wave 2 got decided on.
That'd be neat. If the five upcoming characters don't have enough alts and costumes to fill up all the 29 ID slots that were found, there could be a wave 2.

Gum-Gum Smash

Smash Apprentice
People come in here just to tell us Geno won't make it in.
No. I've been reading the replies in here, as I like the character, and everyone just seems so focused on Dragon Quest and that he's a near lock. I'm not trying to hate, and he still has a chance

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
That was Ryce, my guy, not polar.
It was me too, I posted a few days ago that I was (also) told that nobody knows the DLC. After the Geno rumor my informant heard, there's been absolutely nothing. Nada. Even Geno's name hasn't been thrown around since (which is why I said the rumor still stands -- hasn't been deconfirmed, we'll have to see where it goes and I'll inform if it changes). He told me straight up that anybody claiming to know DLC besides MAYBE Geno or some other Enix character is likely lying. He told me that really only Treehouse would know that.

D

Deleted member

Yes. You actually replied to the one where I typed exactly what's in that tweet. I don't understand where he says Spirits do OR don't deconfirm
What Sakurai said: "Spirits were made as a gameplay equivalent to trophies for a solid single player experience." Spirits are a replacement of trophies from Smash 4, and Mewtwo and Lucas were trophies in Smash 4 before they were DLC. Combine this with the fact that there is a Pit spirit which isn't a fighter spirit, and there isn't any reason to believe that spirits deconfirm characters

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
He told me straight up that anybody claiming to know DLC besides MAYBE Geno or some other Enix character is likely lying.
What surprise me is that a Square-Enix Character is maybe coming. After all this talk about them supposedly being assholes for Cloud's comeback.
I mean, I just wonder how that rumors even started to begins with.

D

Deleted member

What surprise me is that a Square-Enix Character is maybe coming. After all this talk about them supposedly being ******** for Cloud's comeback.
I mean, I just wonder how that rumors even started to begins with.
I feel like it's more believable, since Square Enix wants money for their inclusion, and they wouldn't make any money if they didn't have any content to provide as DLC

Gum-Gum Smash

Smash Apprentice
What Sakurai said: "Spirits were made as a gameplay equivalent to trophies for a solid single player experience." Spirits are a replacement of trophies from Smash 4, and Mewtwo and Lucas were trophies in Smash 4 before they were DLC. Combine this with the fact that there is a Pit spirit which isn't a fighter spirit, and there isn't any reason to believe that spirits deconfirm characters
See, but that's just assuming. There's also a spirit of K. Rool that's Captain K. Rool, but it's not the same character (which is why I think the Absolutly Safe Capsule means nothing) I'd love if you could show me the Pit your talking about? Does it fall under that description? Like I said I could be wrong, we won't know for sure until the DLC is out or Sakurai says for sure. Your assuming about what he said about trophies, but this is a different game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom