• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

owjies

Smash Journeyman
Basically I'm going to repeat the same thing I said two years ago when the "Brave" datamine happened: don't get mad/sad, get organized. We technically already are because of Operation Star Fall and Star Road and all that but the temptation to detonate all of it will be really high. I largely walked away after Brawl but, thankfully, people like PsychoIncarnate PsychoIncarnate kept things going and eventually I found the confidence to come back. A big part of being part of any fanbase is flexibility and diversity. As I said earlier, the Isaac fanbase is a good example of this because Isaac in Smash isn't their only focus. They have other things to involve themselves with and keep their community going and I don't think we'll have too much issue with that. People get depressed and what not but people bounce back because you all are supportive of each other. Repeating myself from yesterday: as long as the comraderie isn't totally extinguished this can press on or even transform going forward from today.
Agreed. SMRPG and its characters could've easily been forgotten after all these years. Instead, the fans and supporters continue to will them back into the conversation. I'd still love to see Geno as a full on fighter, but even if he returns as a costume, that doesn't negate all the fun we've had enjoying SMRPG and hanging out as a community. I still have fond memories of AugustusB AugustusB bringing us all together to talk about pies during the Seven Squares back in '18.

I'm really excited about the future of Operation Starfall. The rumor of a SMRPG remake is encouraging even if it's just a rumor for now. Nintendo has a void in its RPG department. With Square on friendlier terms, perhaps a return to their roots is in order? Link's Awakening was excellent, so now may be the perfect time to push Nintendo / Square on the remake front. That could be a focal point for the future post Smash Ultimate.

Fingers crossed for tonight. A Mii Costume doesn't diminish SMRPG as a game or Geno as a character. Even as a perennial underdog, Geno has always been a contender.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Good Luck everyone It's been one hell of a ride regardless of how this turns out. See you all on the other side!

I shall leave you with one of my patented "high and mighty" comments as ForsakenM has taken to calling them: "Uh, you do remember how everyone dies in that scene right?"

Seriously though, good luck you guys 🙂
I get that feeling every time someone tries quoting Thanos by saying "I am inevitable," or some variation on that - he dies almost immediately after both of the times that he says it, which makes it seem like a weird line to use.

Glad to see people are more optimistic now (I was worried this thread would be depressed in the lead-up to this), though there's no way of knowing how this is going to turn out. (for all we know, there's just a random gap in the numbering on the site, and Sephiroth's entries are actually numbers 111 and higher so we don't know how many Mii costumes will be included) Here's hoping that Geno's Mii costume is conspicuously absent in the presentation.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
if the costume doesn't return, then he's 100% in. The character is too well known at this point thanks to smash, and with all the information we've had in the past, it would be downright heartless for nintendo to not even bring back the costume, it would be right right up there with some of the dumbest mistakes nintendo has made.

With that said...sadly I feel near 100% confident that he'll get the deluxe mii treatment today...I've essentially come to terms with this fact.

So it's basically right now...he either returns a costume, or he's playable. There's no real inbetweens now.
Pretty much. To be honest, I personally think the worst case scenario today would be to get the old Sm4sh costume with no modifications. While this would potentially bode better for Geno getting in at a later time (referencing my theory about Nintendo/SE banking on the old costume prior to Geno's actually reveal), it would also leave the possibility that Geno is just boned and Nintendo/SE didn't feel the need to bother with anything special. In this case, we would be back to the Schrodinger's Cat paradox of logic until the absolute end of the DLC cycle, and frankly I don't want to keep riding this "will he, won't he" train for another year.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Less than four hours until Geno's supposed fate. How are you guys dealing with this?
Stay strong, my bros. Whatever happens, remember it's just a video game at the end of the day. Get mad, get frustrated, and vent here if Geno's costume shows up. But try to do so civilly, as it would be nice for this thread to not have to get locked.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Okay, to get the thread back on track, let's discuss the potential implications of what Geno's absent costume would mean beyond just the likelihood of Geno being fully playable substantially increasing. You think the Seven Squares rumor for Crono and the rumored 2B might show up in a future wave of Mii Costumes or no?
If we got two costumes, it’s gonna be the Chocobo hat and one of those. If not then Chrono or 2b will possible come with other fighters. Or they just might not happen and only some of that list will be hard to say. It would all depend on who the final characters are.

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
Just finished catching up on the pages I missed, and honestly the posts I missed had me laughing pretty hard. You guys took the “Geno thread is like a cult” insult and turned it into a joke about other members being the “real” leaders of the cult, or how we’re planning to ritual summon Geno or something.

Suffice to say, a lot of you guys here took that in stride. In fact, you all have been doing that for awhile now. I have a lot of respect for everyone here, you knew what you signed up for when you decided to support one of the most divisive characters for Smash, and yet you’re all still here.

Whether or not this is the last time we talk about Geno getting added to Smash Ultimate, our journey doesn’t have to end here. There’s still so much more to be done with Geno and SMRPG as a whole, and I hope you all stick around long enough to see that future through.

Good luck today everyone! :geno:

Last edited:

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
Just finished catching up on the pages I missed, and honestly the posts I missed had me laughing pretty hard. You guys took the “Geno thread is like a cult” insult and turned it into a joke about other members being the “real” leaders of the cult, or how we’re planning to ritual summon Geno or something.
That's an awfully bold revelation for someone within human-sacrificing-to-the-Rosalina distance.

Remember guys, chins up. We've waited how many years? It ain't over till we see a body costume doll outfit no wait I was right the first time body.
:geno: :geno: :geno: :geno: :geno: :geno: :geno:

yungmornindrive

Smash Cadet
Insiders: "How is this possible?! How could all of us have been wrong all this time?!"

(three years ago)

Nintendo exec 1: "Gosh dang it! I'm so tired of all these leakers stealing our thunder. What's a guy got to do to generate some surprise hype around here?"

Nintendo exec 2: "What if we just start spreading all kinds of insane rumors around the office just to see who bites? When the rumors turn out false, all the blabbers will have destroyed their credibility."

Nintendo exec 1: ".....make it so, Numbuh Two."
This happens more than you realize.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Already talked about the irregularities of this upcoming presentation but there's one aspect that totally flew under the radar... Yes, this is the most notice we've been given for an Ultimate presentation by a considerable amount BUT then I realized something... This is only the SECOND longest notice we've been given for a Smash presentation in Smash history. The longest was roughly a month and that was for the Final Smash 4 DLC Presentation. Coincidentally, this presentation was announced immediately after Cloud's reveal in 2015; sound familiar? So, in a weird twist of fate, roughly five years later we're having yet another mid December Smash presentation that we had a long amount of notice for with a Square Enix character as one of the focal points. Also, are you guys ready for the REALLY shocking part?

"On December 15th, 2015, at 2 PM PDT, the final Super Smash Bros. 4 presentation was hosted by Masahiro Sakurai. It provided information on the previously-announced Cloud character and Midgar stage, as well as numerous new features."

It's at the exact same time. I feel like this was deliberate.

Kremling Kommander

Smash Journeyman
Regardless of what happens today, I’ve really enjoyed being in this thread for over a year and interacting with all of you. You guys are very wholesome and humble when it comes to supporting Geno and I’m glad that even in the face of adversity, this thread is still brewing with optimism and hope. I don’t regret a single bit discovering Smashboards a year ago and making an account, even if Geno doesn’t get in.
With that said, if the costume is missing, then of course we can look forward to more speculation and Geno most likely being in. If not though, then I’m at least glad he got some closure and I hope Sakurai acknowledges his popularity once more.
I’ll see you all later about an hour before it starts. Good luck guys. :)

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792
Thank you all for being so amazing in this thread!
It’s going to be an emotional roller coaster at approximately 5:20pm tonight!
If Geno gets a definitive kill from Sakurai today, then I may take my leave for a while from speculation. But I will always support Geno and help in any way that I can in organizing to get him noticed in the future.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
My personal planned reactions for 5:35PM tonight:

'Oh, Sephiroth looks cool. Oh, there's Geno's costume finally. Well, I'll get him and Geno's costume a day after they are released due to server issues. Anyway, back to Breath of the Wild.'

Or

'Oh, Sephiroth looks cool. But....wait, Geno's costume wasn't here? What the heck is going on? Well, I'll buy Sephiroth a day after he releases due to server issues. Anyway, back to Breath of the Wild.'

MattX20

Smash Hero
Already talked about the irregularities of this upcoming presentation but there's one aspect that totally flew under the radar... Yes, this is the most notice we've been given for an Ultimate presentation by a considerable amount BUT then I realized something... This is only the SECOND longest notice we've been given for a Smash presentation in Smash history. The longest was roughly a month and that was for the Final Smash 4 DLC Presentation. Coincidentally, this presentation was announced immediately after Cloud's reveal in 2015; sound familiar? So, in a weird twist of fate, roughly five years later we're having yet another mid December Smash presentation that we had a long amount of notice for with a Square Enix character as one of the focal points. Also, are you guys ready for the REALLY shocking part?

"On December 15th, 2015, at 2 PM PDT, the final Super Smash Bros. 4 presentation was hosted by Masahiro Sakurai. It provided information on the previously-announced Cloud character and Midgar stage, as well as numerous new features."

It's at the exact same time. I feel like this was deliberate.
Well, we shall see where we are when the presentation for Sephiroth comes to a close

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
It is worth acknowledging that if we don't see the Geno costume today, it still doesn't guarantee his inclusion as a playable fighter. We might not see another Square Enix character at all. Another possibility is getting a second Square Enix character, or Sora. There's even an enemy that slightly resembles Geno in KH3:

I'm not trying to be a downer or anything. It still bodes very well for Geno if his costume doesn't show up. But man, we still can't say with certainty that he's in even if that happens. The ride is never truly over until the doll shows up, in whichever form we end up getting.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Welp, tonight is the night. Dunno if any of you guys'll be recording your reactions or anything, but I certainly will be. Anyways, what are your predictions for this stream? Mine are as follows:
  • Sephiroth won't be super crazy busted, but he will be at least a little bit busted.
  • Northern Crater is going to be both sick and legal. No idea if we'll get any cameos from the likes of Tifa, Barret, Aerith or whoever, but it'd be nice.
  • Only 2 music tracks, and they're both just different versions of One Winged Angel. Hopefully I'm wrong about this, but I get the feeling I won't be.
  • A decent amount of Final Fantasy Spirits, whether 7 related or not. Hopefully they won't just make his Spirit Board out of the already available SquareEnix Spirits.
  • I have two scenarios for this Mii Costume wave that I believe are somewhat likely: 1) Chocobo Hat, Geno Mii Costume (Deluxe or not), Tifa or Barret Costume and Crono or 2B Costume. 2) Chocobo Hat, Geno Mii Costume (Deluxe or not), Mallow Hat, Smithy Costume and Crono or 2B Costume. A Gex Costume would be the dream, but unfortunately I just don't think the world is ready for that much quality.
  • No new amiibos 'cos the next wave is dropping in March.
  • I don't think they'd actually do this, but it'd be nice if they made it so full sets of Mii Costumes would have the announcer say their name. Like, you put on the Sans costume and he calls out Sans' name. Kind of a small detail, but it would really help it feel like you're playing as the character you're dressed up as.

If we do make it through this again tonight, I propose that we make this the national anthem for the Geno in Smash Ultimate cycle.

Or maybe this?

It feels a little heartbreaking to me not being in one of these memes, but good job either way!
p0hOOJV.png

evanwoo10

Smash Lord
Whatever happens tonight, I just want to say it’s been an honor to be apart of this thread. I don’t post that much, I mostly just hit the like button on most of the posts. I love coming here everyday and hearing the speculation about Geno. It wasn’t until around Steve’s announcement/release that I finally made an account and completely joined in on the conversation. I’m glad to be apart of this community and see you all around everyday posting. I’m still in this to the end, I still believe that Geno will not be a Mii costume in this presentation. We must never give up on the dream!!!

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Stay strong, my bros. Whatever happens, remember it's just a video game at the end of the day. Get mad, get frustrated, and vent here if Geno's costume shows up. But try to do so civilly, as it would be nice for this thread to not have to get locked.
I am contractually obligated to give you a hearty /) for that Pinkie quote

D

Deleted member

It is worth acknowledging that if we don't see the Geno costume today, it still doesn't guarantee his inclusion as a playable fighter. We might not see another Square Enix character at all. Another possibility is getting a second Square Enix character, or Sora. There's even an enemy that slightly resembles Geno in KH3:

I'm not trying to be a downer or anything. It still bodes very well for Geno if his costume doesn't show up. But man, we still can't say with certainty that he's in even if that happens. The ride is never truly over until the doll shows up, in whichever form we end up getting.
They put this costume in with Sephiroth and Sakurai's like

"we have the return of an old favorite. It's Geno, from Super Mario RPG. His costume was very popular in Smash 4... Wait, that's not Geno. Where could he be?..."

Young Link.

Smash Apprentice
I'm going to post here before the thread gets locked again.

Last time I said I wasn't ready for the presentation, but now I am. Even if my #1 most wanted doesn't get in, I already got characters among my top 5 most wanted and this is already awesome!! And if Geno gets in, great!!! It's even better!!

It's very important that people have values to follow and guide their paths, one of my top 3 values is Gratitude, despite my previous posts, I am grateful for Nintendo and Sakurai, for all those amazing characters they already put in Smash Ultimate, including Young Link and Byleth, two of my most wanted, I can NOT forget about this.

Unlike last Thursday, today I'm in peace, and whatever happens today I'm happy, because of my values, they help me to get back in the right direction. :)

Thank you very much to everyone on this amazing thread that helped me and made things positive. Really, thank you very much! ;)

AugustusB

Smash Champion
This thread is always a delight to come back to! Regardless what the outcome is, we have to press on. As Ovaltine Ovaltine has said time and time again, GET LOUD! Draw, create and share to Nintendo and all over. But above all else, we gotta support each other. It is crazy to me how the thread goes through the ringer with emotions, but boy, do we bounce back when we need to.

owjies owjies That is still one of my favorite and proudest moments. Hell, my signature still asks to this day haha.

I am gonna watch this presentation and love every minute of it (HUGE Final Fantasy fan, 7 being my first). ForsakenM ForsakenM you better be wearing the Geno Blast Shirt, cuz I got that same shirt!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom