• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
What about Hero and Banjo?
E3 reveals are the exception. Steve and FP8 were very likely the original planned 2020 E3 reveals before the event got cancelled. But Nintendo is probably going to push back the announcement dates for Steve and FP8 like they were normal reveals instead of E3 ones.

Mizzle

Smash Cadet
The fact that we won't have any more Partner Showcases for the rest of the year is pretty suspect. I mean, you're telling me that for the entirety of the most commercial time of the year, they'll only drop things random things on Twitter? I don't buy it. I think at the very least, our next fighter cough Geno cough is getting revealed. If we're lucky, we could possibly get a general Direct. Something at TGA, most likely BOTW2, also seems like it's in the cards.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So crazy tinfoil hat theory to throw out there, but since Geno was the last DLC Mii costume to be announced in Smash 4, what if he is the last fighter to be announced for Ultimate's DLC? The wait would suck, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did this to parallel the Mii costume coming last like in Smash 4.

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
So crazy tinfoil hat theory to throw out there, but since Geno was the last DLC Mii costume to be announced in Smash 4, what if he is the last fighter to be announced for Ultimate's DLC? The wait would suck, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did this to parallel the Mii costume coming last like in Smash 4.
Incorrect, the last one was Knuckles.

Musubi

Smash Apprentice
Something I thought was interesting in the partner showcase was that two games were listed as "Cloud Versions". I could be wrong, but I don't think I've seen that before on the Switch. Do you think we'll start seeing more of these cloud versions of games, and does that mean the Switch will be able to get more games that they wouldn't be able to get otherwise?

Last edited:

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
Something I thought was interesting in the partner showcase was that two games were listed as "Cloud Versions". I could be wrong, but I don't think I've seen that before on the Switch. Do you think we'll start seeing more of these cloud versions of games, and does that mean the Switch will be able to get more games that they wouldn't be able to get otherwise?
There's already been a few exclusive to Japan, so yes.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
E3 reveals are the exception. Steve and FP8 were very likely the original planned 2020 E3 reveals before the event got cancelled. But Nintendo is probably going to push back the announcement dates for Steve and FP8 like they were normal reveals instead of E3 ones.
I dunno man, Steve lining up with MineCon seems very intentional. Starting to think that maybe there was no character planned for E3. Unless it was Min Min and the guessing game was completely planned as well and they were just going to reveal that it was Min Min at E3.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I dunno man, Steve lining up with MineCon seems very intentional. Starting to think that maybe there was no character planned for E3. Unless it was Min Min and the guessing game was completely planned as well and they were just going to reveal that it was Min Min at E3.
I think it's SUPER likely had COVID not been a thing, we would have gotten two Smash reveals at the planned 2020 E3 event. E3 has never gone by without Smash reveals during the games reveal run.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Last partner showcase of the year and Nintendo has had a perfect record for presentations in November since 2012. I really do think we're getting something major next month because Nintendo going totally radio silent after literally 6 months back to back with major announcements doesn't seem to be in the cards. DOOM Eternal is still MIA and a lot of those retail listing leaks are rapidly approaching the 3 month mark so I feel like something is going to give by mid November.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
  • No character/Only Min Min planned for E3
Huh? This...seems like really backwards logic and goes against literally everything Nintendo has ever done with Smash at E3's since 2013. It's not like Sakurai was actually at Minecon or anything, they just decided to air the presentation about an hour before it started because, well why not. I won't deny it was intentional but I highly doubt that was what was originally planned.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
The lack of partner showcases just suggests that Nintendo is done for the year. AoC launched next month and will also go into December for holidays and nothing noteworthy rarely happens in December in general. They still would have shoved the partner showcase stuff in with a general should one have been planned.

I like the optimism for a new direct but I don't think it could be more obvious why they are done for the year aside from a few 2021 titles. It's not like you would have to wait long after November for a direct anyway so although this optimism doesn't seem like it will pay off unfortunately, it wouldn't be too long a wait after. We are probably gonna see 8 in January anyway as October lines up pretty much perfectly so we have something we can 90%dly await on

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I think it's SUPER likely had COVID not been a thing, we would have gotten two Smash reveals at the planned 2020 E3 event. E3 has never gone by without Smash reveals during the games reveal run.
Well if that IS the case than it was more likely Min Min and Steve rather than Steve and FP8

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Well if that IS the case than it was more likely Min Min and Steve rather than Steve and FP8
Sakurai said in the Min Min Presentation that Min Min's Presentation was recorded in April so she was planned to be revealed before E3 before COVID ****** up the schedule. Besides, they usually save the popular/iconic characters fir E3 and Min Min really doesn't hit either of those big categories even though she was the most popular Arms character.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Sakurai said in the Min Min Presentation that Min Min's Presentation was recorded in April so she was planned to be revealed before E3 before COVID ****** up the schedule. Besides, they usually save the popular/iconic characters fir E3 and Min Min really doesn't hit either of those big categories even though she was the most popular Arms character.
Character presentations are always recorded around two months in advance

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Apparently Steve was developed entirely during the pandemic (https://twitter.com/sephazon/status/1321483385869512704?s=21), so this sounds about right unless we assume they were going to reveal him a bit early before changing plans to tie in with Minecraft Live (which does seem very intentional since Sakurai even made a short video for them to show during the stream).

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Still, it's likely Min Min was going to be announced in April in the non COVID timeline.
Likely why? It seems like they released rather on time as according to plan. The only thing I think got swapped around was WHEN Steve was announced because E3 would’ve been perfect but Min Min being announced and released in June seems like it followed the original plan. That would have been the character they announce around E3 and also release near E3. It makes sense.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So are we hyping again for Genovember?
So what's the whole story behind Genovember exactly?

Likely why? It seems like they released rather on time as according to plan. The only thing I think got swapped around was WHEN Steve was announced because E3 would’ve been perfect but Min Min being announced and released in June seems like it followed the original plan. That would have been the character they announce around E3 and also release near E3. It makes sense.
Take a look at E3's past:

E3 2001: Peach, Bowser, Zelda/Shiek, and the Ice Climbers are revealed.

E3 2006: Snake, Wario, Meta Knight, Zero Suit Samus, and Pit are revealed.

E3 2013: Villager and Mega Man are revealed.

E3 2014: The Miis and Palutena are revealed. Pac-Man behind closed doors.

E3 2015: Roy returns and Ryu is revealed.

E3 2018: All the veterans return along with the reveals of Ridley and Daisy.

E3 2019: Hero and Banjo & Kazooie are revealed.

Literally, all these characters were either heavily requested characters or iconic characters so they always save the big fish for E3. E3 2020 wouldn't have been different.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
So what's the whole story behind Genovember exactly?

Take a look at E3's past:

E3 2001: Peach, Bowser, Zelda/Shiek, and the Ice Climbers are revealed.

E3 2006: Snake, Wario, Meta Knight, Zero Suit Samus, and Pit are revealed.

E3 2013: Villager and Mega Man are revealed.

E3 2014: The Miis and Palutena are revealed. Pac-Man behind closed doors.

E3 2015: Roy returns and Ryu is revealed.

E3 2018: All the veterans return along with the reveals of Ridley and Daisy.

E3 2019: Hero and Banjo & Kazooie are revealed.

Literally, all these characters were either heavily requested characters or iconic characters so they always save the big fish for E3. E3 2020 wouldn't have been different.
This E3 could’ve been very similar to E3 2015. Min Min and Steve fit the same mold as Roy and Ryu.

Edit: And who’s even to say that FP8 is a big hitter? For all we know it could be someone like Impa?

Last edited:

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
Whether true or not, most of the people on this board have always believed that COVID has delayed all of the cool and big characters. I'm with you that Steve would have fit the E3 bill just fine and personally don't think that at this point in time, October 2020, even if COVID never happened, we'd have anything other than Min Min and Steve. Whether or not we'd have a trailer for FP8 at this point, eh, who knows, but I don't really think it'd have been at E3. We still have another 14 months for 4 characters, nothing feels off track.

The truth of it all is that unless Sakurai or Nintendo talks about it, we don't know the original plans or release schedule. Steve being the only E3 character could easily be attributed to a decreased staff, intentional pacing, or any number of other things, regardless of what some of the more vocal people on this board say. There's a reason why this thread has 3494 pages. =P

I'm not saying that Geno wouldn't have been a good E3 release or anything like that, but like, E3 2021 exists and the schedule seems to make sense to me the way it has rolled out so far.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Whatever dude, you're the all knowning.
There’s evidence to suggest that Min Min was planned for E3 due to the character both releasing and June and the video being Recorded in April. There is nothing to back up FP7 and FP8. Even in Sakurai’s latest Famitsu article it’s implied that development of Fighters Pass 2 didn’t start till after the release of Byleth because he quoted that Steve’s development was entirely in the pandemic while Min Min’s was not. Meaning her development likely started around February so an April announcement seems WAY too early.

I’m not trying to be a smart ass here but we can’t just change around the events, blame it on COVID delaying it, and sayin it makes Geno more likely. That’s just wrong. If anything FP8 is planned for it’s own thing around January or I could see him at the game awards and that character definitely could be Geno but an announcement of a character and then a 6 month wait for release seems a little much if we’re implying the two characters planned for E3 were FP7 (Steve) and FP8 (Geno). It just doesn’t line up.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
There’s evidence to suggest that Min Min was planned for E3 due to the character both releasing and June and the video being Recorded in April. There is nothing to back up FP7 and FP8. Even in Sakurai’s latest Famitsu article it’s implied that development of Fighters Pass 2 didn’t start till after the release of Byleth because he quoted that Steve’s development was entirely in the pandemic while Min Min’s was not. Meaning her development likely started around February so an April announcement seems WAY too early.

I’m not trying to be a smart ass here but we can’t just change around the events, blame it on COVID delaying it, and sayin it makes Geno more likely. That’s just wrong. If anything FP8 is planned for it’s own thing around January or I could see him at the game awards and that character definitely could be Geno but an announcement of a character and then a 6 month wait for release seems a little much if we’re implying the two characters planned for E3 were FP7 (Steve) and FP8 (Geno). It just doesn’t line up.
I'm not saying Geno was one of the planned E3 reveals but whatever dude.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
R RetrogamerMax It's just a funny thing we've been postulating on Star Road for the past month for a number of reasons:

-With everything being pushed back 4-5 months, Nintendo's "E3" presentation would theoretically be mid November at the latest.

-Nintendo's perfect track record for major presentations in November since 2012.

-Mario 3D World Deluxe is literally the only first party game announced for 2021 so far and that was announced two months ago already.

-Nintendo's Amiibo waves are already scheduled through March.

-A long history of Nintendo's "year" typically beginning in March or April.

-Mario Smash tournament delayed not once but twice to December.

-Tournaments being super consistent since the summer but, strangely, the first week of November doesn't have anything scheduled yet.

-Amiibo theory suggests an early to mid November reveal of some kind and it's currently 8 for 8 as a predictor.

-DOOM Eternal is still missing along with Nomura's "surprise for Switch fans" in the "near future."

-Like I highlighted the other day, Smash has an almost perfect track record of November/December announcements since 2001.

Paraspikey

Smash Journeyman

Min Min's development did not begin in February of this year, that doesn't line up with anything we know about how they develop characters, which is 3 at a time.
Thanks to the 7/11 ad, we know that she was meant to be released in April at one point, but thanks to COVID-19 and other development issues, they delayed it to June.
The virus effected development a lot more then people realize.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Min Min's development did not begin in February of this year, that doesn't line up with anything we know about how they develop characters, which is 3 at a time.
Thanks to the 7/11 ad, we know that she was meant to be released in April at one point, but thanks to COVID-19 and other development issues, they delayed it to June.
The virus effected development a lot more then people realize.
I don’t recall there ever being a 7/11 ad that suggested that

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
PSO got a cloud version

Paraspikey

Smash Journeyman

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
There was a April 7/11 ad for Vol. 2
Ah, after they revealed it was an arms character. I don’t think that implies that Min Min was planned for April but I did forget about that ad.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
I just find it very hard to believe that, in a non-covid world, they would release Byleth and then take half of an entire year to reveal the next character at E3.
Yeah they almost definitely wouldn't have so yeah it is quite hard to believe.

On a sidenote, I don't get why people are equating smash news happening consistently in November making it seem likely when a) that wasn't because they were specifically trying to keep up some pattern of smash news happening then and b) everything suggesting nothing this year. I really do get optimism but this just seems like people are trying to come up with reasons to make it seem more likely because there aren't any better reasons. Just goes to show that you have to reach to make a reveal any time soon seen plausible at first glance at least.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom