• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
I've talked about this before, but since everyone seems to be doing it I'll reiterate it here.

Like most young internet denizens in the mid-2000's, I spent a lot of time watching flash animations on Newgrounds. Naturally, since I grew up with Nintendo games those were typically the ones I'd watch a lot of. That's how I was introduced to Super Mario RPG and Geno. Since I had never played SMRPG, and had other characters to yearn for like Sonic and Mega Man, Geno never really spoke to me, though I was at least aware of the demand.

Fast-forward to a little before E3 2019, and rumors abound that Banjo & Kazooie were coming to the game and there was a lot of discussion on SmashBoards about it, so I began to lurk. Once Banjo & Kazooie were officially revealed, I was left with no other characters I really wanted: Roy was back since everyone was here, and King K. Rool was announced almost a year prior. So I decided to head here to the Geno thread because hey, Geno's sort of in the same league in terms of fan demand, and the thread's pretty active. And who knows? Maybe there'll be a lot of fun stuff to talk about.

For better or for worse, I guess I was right. :geno:

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
I've been taking a huge hiatus from all this speculating, but felt like sharing my story since everyone else is right now.

Born in 86, got my NES at 5 and never looked back. I was a Sega kid in the early '90s, but was always jealous of my SNES owning buddies. I used to beg to play DKC, LttP, SMW, Mega Man X, Krusty's Super Funhouse, Mario Kart, Zombies At My Neighbors, Street Fighter, Star Fox, really whatever, whenever I visited their houses... and I remember rushing to the games section at Wal Mart or Toys R Us just to try out the new games like Yoshi's Island and DKC2 before they released, just so I could talk to my friends about them at school. I wanted a SNES so bad, but being a kid my options for new games and consoles were limited to birthdays and Christmas and since one Christmas I picked a Sega so I could play Sonic... I was stuck. Also, my parents rarely took us to Blockbuster, and if they did it was only for movies. Still, despite that, those were fun days. I remember them fondly.

Circa 6th grade, and I was getting back into Mario thanks to Yoshi's Island and the utter hype that was Mario 64. That game blew my little kid brain all over the wall, it was such an incredible experience. I was high on the N64 but I still had friends dragging their SNES around, and it was neat to play stuff at their house since I still never owned one. I had heard a lot about Mario RPG at the time, it was supposedly this cult game none of my friends ever played but all heard was pretty fun. I remember joking once at lunch that Mario RPG, Earthbound and Chrono Trigger were the 3 greatest games none of us even actually knew existed. They only ever came up in magazines or on super early internet forums. But, one day, I was lucky. My friend's mom found it at a rental store for us and for one glorious sleepover we played Mario RPG nonstop, from dusk till dawn. I won't forget how engrossed we were either. I believe we made it all the way to the sunken ship, in one night, and we just thought we were unstoppable. And the game was so good! It was funny, the music was catchy, the characters were awesome... I remember thinking for a while, then and there, that this is what Mario ought to be and was from here on. It was a great first impression.

Flash forward to middle school, though, and I developed a weird grudge against Mario RPG. I was bitter, for one, that the N64 was losing the console race, and mostly due to Square. I boycotted Final Fantasy, quite infamously among my friends, and dared to say games like Quest 64 were superior. Mario RPG became a symbol, for that time in my life, of Nintendo's lost vision. Mario 64 was the way forward, and I looked ahead to the coming Gamecube. I did buy a SNES in high school, refurbished, but I never bought Mario RPG, though. I never came across it, but I also didn't go looking for it (funnily enough, I did come across an in-package Earthbound w/ player's guide around that time and never bought it. The game was cult even back then, but not full-blown like it is now. I didn't see the opportunity, so to speak).

I got to college and one of my roommates and I would play Melee together, running and winning tourneys on campus. We would pine about our childhoods and of all things he would talk about how amazing Mario RPG was to him. I would argue back, but slowly he wore away at my shell. I decided to try and emulate the game and play it fresh, from the beginning. And I kind of liked it again. And when it came out on the Wii VC, I bought it and played it all over again. And I liked it more. And as time continued marching forward, I became more and more of a fan of this game once again. The joy it brought me was back. It also helped that I started playing Final Fantasy again, thanks to that same friend, the GBA re-releases and also Crystal Chronicles being such a fun drunk college game.

None of this mentions my role in the Smash fandom either. I used to post on the SMBHQ and Smash Stadium forums well before Melee launched, and was a huge advocate for retro/obscure characters on GameFAQS and IGN leading up to Melee's release. In the early years before Brawl, I mostly lurked, but after its reveal I was posting on Smashboards and Nintendo Database enough to gain a reputation. I saw Geno mentioned as far back as my days on SMBHQ, but he was as likely as Bubble Bobble to most people back then -- nobody knew the rules. Once Smash 4 speculation ramped up, though, Geno jumped right up on my list of wanted characters. He's such a perfect blend of interesting, unique, retro, obscure, and fanservice. Plus, for years I have been saying the Mario series needs to get back to being "off brand" and less sterile. But regardless, now we're where we are today and I'm happy that we are in the 11th hour. Geno has been a longtime coming, and I couldn't be happier to have such a storied history with this character and his game. My wish is that Smash Ultimate finally recognizes his wonderful and justifies a nearly 34yo father writing a diary entry about his love affair with a 25 year old game.

That is all.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Regarding my history with Geno and Super Mario RPG, I'll repost this
A long time ago, at a neighbor's house, I played Super Mario RPG for the first time. I didn't know what RPGs were yet at the time and never played a game like it before and I always remembered it for its 3D graphics. I never got very far past the intro, and for many years, I almost forgot about the game's existence. My first proper RPG experience was with Paper Mario years later if one doesn't count the Pokemon games from Generation 1 and the first RPG I actually owned. For years, the Paper Mario games, Thousand Year Door especially, were a source of fun for me, and it was about 2006/2007 I stumbled upon a series of Flash animations on Newgrounds called Smash Kingdom. They gave me a little laugh, and that was how I was technically introduced to Geno proper before the game in question, mainly the Easter egg of how at the time fans wanted him to be in Brawl/any Smash game for over 11 years. It got me curious to track down a copy of Super Mario RPG for myself and eventually I did. I remember playing the game for a long time, and specifically that I beat the game for the first time the night before Brawl released. Playing the game felt like a missing part of my childhood and it gave me a sense of satisfaction/warmth that many modern games for me just don't seem to catch. I remember shortly after that learning Geno wasn't playable in Brawl, I wrote an email to Sakurai stating how I wished Geno would come back/be playable and I got a response saying the email would be forwarded to him. For years, I admit I lost hope and waited in doubt because of Square Enix at the time and how hostile they seemingly were. Flash forward to the DLC cycle for Smash 4, and when the Ballot hit, I regret that I don't remember if I voted for Geno even once. Possibly over whether or not Geno would even make the cut at all. Then Cloud was confirmed, and during the final Smash Direct, a Geno Mii Fighter costume with a splash screen made me wish I voted for Geno more. Smash Ultimate has renewed hope in me, and I want to believe my hopes are not misplaced this time. Super Mario RPG was a major part of a lot of people's childhoods here in America and Japan, and I want Geno in so years of heartbreak and stress can finally fade away. After all, Sakurai did say Geno was perfect for Smash in Nintendo Dream back in 2016, and I want to believe that Sakurai went above and beyond to get him back. If Geno comes back, I'll never ask for a single character ever again in Smash. It's very personal to me.

Last edited:

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Basically the Geno thread once pinshadow pinshadow brings evidence that Smash news might finally be on the horizon
View attachment 286622

I agree with Fatman that I'd like to be consumed by the fire. Yes please, Sakurai. Throw me into it.

(Also I usually don't have a problem with mods on this site, but I weirdly got a troll warning in here for the meme I posted last time. Apparently someone thought I was making fun of the Geno thread or something somehow? ...which is weird because I say like every week how much I like this thread and want Geno for you guys...)
I mean, like the 7/11 ad, it's just another piece of solid evidence that something is happening "Soon" TM, which we've already kinda been assuming for months because of Amiibo theory. So that's three things pointing towards 7 now along with Nintendo dumping at least one announcement every week this month. That being said...
  • "Soon" is pretty much any time in the next 1-3 weeks. Pretty much before the 2nd half of October. I lean towards next week for an announcement because of the ad, but nothing is really concrete.
  • Kirby Fighters 2? Where is it? Feels like everyone just kinda forgot about the fact that "oh yeah Nintendo leaked a Kirby game last night" We still haven't had any announcement this week either. There's still tomorrow, but are they going to announce it during TGS? IDK. Maybe it's not getting announced for weeks and this just leaked way too early.
  • We still have no real general indications of who 7 actually is. We know they would have been at E3, I guess we can reasonably assume they are coming with 6 costumes now, which doesn't really tell us anything, and that they are probably getting dropped by themselves, no coinciding announcements. All in all, nothing to go off of in general. Hell, if certain characters were meant to coincide with other announcements I wouldn't doubt them actually shifting characters in the Pass around. I mean Sakurai talked about it making discussions between companies more difficult. It's a pretty crackpot idea at the moment without knowing who 7 is, but I'm keeping it in my back pocket for now.
EDIT :
1534004519342.png
I can't believe I got sniped by Nintendo.

Last edited:

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
I mean, like the 7/11 ad, it's just another piece of solid evidence that something is happening "Soon" TM, which we've already kinda been assuming for months because of Amiibo theory. So that's three things pointing towards 7 now along with Nintendo dumping at least one announcement every week this month. That being said...
  • "Soon" is pretty much any time in the next 1-3 weeks. Pretty much before the 2nd half of October. I lean towards next week for an announcement because of the ad, but nothing is really concrete.
  • Kirby Fighters 2? Where is it? Feels like everyone just kinda forgot about the fact that "oh yeah Nintendo leaked a Kirby game last night" We still haven't had any announcement this week either. There's still tomorrow, but are they going to announce it during TGS? IDK. Maybe it's not getting announced for weeks and this just leaked way too early.
  • We still have no real general indications of who 7 actually is. We know they would have been at E3, I guess we can reasonably assume they are coming with 6 costumes now, which doesn't really tell us anything, and that they are probably getting dropped by themselves, no coinciding announcements. All in all, nothing to go off of in general. Hell, if certain characters were meant to coincide with other announcements I wouldn't doubt them actually shifting characters in the Pass around. I mean Sakurai talked about it making discussions between companies more difficult. It's a pretty crackpot idea at the moment without knowing who 7 is, but I'm keeping it in my back pocket for now.
EDIT : View attachment 286623I can't believe I got sniped by Nintendo.
Where's Kirby Fighters 2? Right here

Anyways between this and Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity on Saturday this week, its safe to say Smash ain't happening this week at all.

Next week for sure...
Next week for sure...

a random user

Smash Journeyman
  • 60FPS (pretty sure?)
Hey look they fixed it, almost like Star Allies was rushed out in 2 years or something HMMMMMMMMM
  • Only 5 Dream Friends
But WHY?
likely because this is a vs game and several of the dream friends had brokenly large hitboxes. or they are going to add them later as dlc, or as a free update

MattX20

Smash Hero
Where's Kirby Fighters 2? Right here

Anyways between this and Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity on Saturday this week, its safe to say Smash ain't happening this week at all.

Next week for sure...
Next week for sure...
I've been saying a Sakurai Presents would probably happen next week for a while. Chances are it'll be announced either on Friday or on Monday after the Saturday tournament and happen within the week

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Smash 4's Mii costumes were split into 6 waves. Here's how the third party Mii costumes were split up back then:

Wave 1: X and Protoman (Capcom) (Technically Mewtwo's wave)

Wave 2: Zero and Exe (Capcom), Jacky and Akira (SEGA), Heihachi (Namco) (Technically Lucas, Roy, and Ryu's wave)

Wave 3: Lloyd (Namco)

Wave 4: Monster Hunter and Rathalos (Capcom)

Wave 5: Geno and Chocobo (Square Enix) (Cloud's wave)

Wave 6: Tails and Knuckles (SEGA), Gil (Namco) (Corrin and Bayonetta's wave)

Now if we move onto Ultimate...

Joker: Tails and Knuckles (SEGA)

Hero: NA

Banjo: Zero and Protoman (Capcom)

Terry: Akira and Jacky (SEGA)

Byleth: Exe and X (Capcom)

Min Min: Heihachi

When looking between these two games, you'll notice a number of similarities.

- The SEGA DLC characters (Bayonetta and Joker) came with Tails and Knuckles

-Akira, Jacky, and Heihachi were all paired with fighting game characters (Ryu, Terry, and Min Min)

-Capcom Mii costumes always come together in pairs.

-Namco costumes (so far) are one per pack.

Things that I think are noteworthy:

-In Smash 4, two of the Capcom costumes were saved for a Capcom character, Ryu. The same is likely happening again with the Monster Hunter costumes.

-Gil came with Bayonetta and Corrin. It could potentially be argued that Gil is meant to eventually come with another medieval fantasy RPG swordsman.

-Lloyd was the only third party Mii costume of his respective wave in Smash 4.

-Capcom, Square Enix, and SEGA all technically saved costumes for character reps. SEGA is the only one to have fulfilled this so far.

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
I've been saying a Sakurai Presents would probably happen next week for a while. Chances are it'll be announced either on Friday or on Monday after the Saturday tournament and happen within the week
Yea that's what I thought because of the tournament. So we'll have to keep an eye on this Friday or next week.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The main thing that has me bootyblasted about the current situation is that all the major announcements since mid August could have easily passed as General Direct announcements. Now we have Spawnwave on Twitter today being like "that's probably not the only Kirby game on the way, huehuehue" and I think to myself "holy hell... I was KIDDING when I said Nintendo was probably going to drag out its E3 announcements through November." Granted, October's looking like at least the Smash drought will finally be broken but you know what else is broken... Me, wanting to know what Nintendo will release in 2021 since mine and virtually everyone else's life has been terrible in 2020.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
The main thing that has me bootyblasted about the current situation is that all the major announcements since mid August could have easily passed as General Direct announcements. Now we have Spawnwave on Twitter today being like "that's probably not the only Kirby game on the way, huehuehue" and I think to myself "holy hell... I was KIDDING when I said Nintendo was probably going to drag out its E3 announcements through November." Granted, October's looking like at least the Smash drought will finally be broken but you know what else is broken... Me, wanting to know what Nintendo will release in 2021 since mine and virtually everyone else's life has been terrible in 2020.
I mean, yea, the Man-Ray Wallet meme speaks for itself. It's confusing, frustrating, draining, makes no real logical sense, and gives no real benefits to Nintendo. They clearly still believe in the direct format, otherwise they wouldn't be branding all their Smaller Presentations under it. At the very least they've seemed committed to weekly announcements for the time being but how long can that last? Is there just going to be a point where all we get in November is a Partner Showcase, a slim chance of something at the Game Awards in December, and then waiting until JANUARY at the earliest for a real direct/Pro reveal? Who knows. It's Schrodingers Marketing Division, it clearly has to exist yet their continued ineptitude makes me doubt it actually does.

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I've been saying for quite some time now that I personally believe Smash will get shown off on the last full week of September and next week is that week. Honestly, if any other announcement makes sense to save for the last week of September, the long-awaited Smash and CP7 reveal sounds like the most likely rn. I don't think we'll have too much longer to wait until we finally get that announcement we've all been waiting for. :geno:

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
It really seems like Nintendo is finally comfortable with doing a weekly first-party announcement for the rest of the year or to December or to whatever month really. Meanwhile, partner showcases will be for third-party stuff. Nintendo is being Nintendo but if this is going to be consistent then it's not a bad way of doing things.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
It really seems like Nintendo is finally comfortable with doing a weekly first-party announcement for the rest of the year or to December or to whatever month really. Meanwhile, partner showcases will be for third-party stuff. Nintendo is being Nintendo but if this is going to be consistent then it's not a bad way of doing things.
This is something I've actually been trying to suggest for a while, but it seems Nintendo fans cannot be pleased.

If they do everything in a couple big Directs each year, they complain about the lull inbetween.

If they announce things in smaller portions but more often, people complain because they aren't getting more information at once.

Nintendo can't win with their greedy fanbase, man, and this is coming from someone who is also sick of waiting for CP7 although that is a much different situation.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
wait a minute, Toadsworth is in Sunshine. Shouldn't he be canon? Why did they remove him from current games

Griselda

Smash Lord
wait a minute, Toadsworth is in Sunshine. Shouldn't he be canon? Why did they remove him from current games
Toadsworth is canon - they can't outright say that he isn't and just ignore him because he appeared in a mainline game - but he also doesn't quite line up with the way they want to depict toads these days, as being completely identical besides the color of their spots. I dunno why Toadette gets a pass - maybe because her 'hair' is just an extension of her mushroom head while Toadsworth has actual facial hair.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
I don't think it's so much that they removed him than it is they just don't have much of a chance to use him. Unlike Toadette he's not really the athetic type, y'know? Besides, he's still made the odd appearance outside of remakes, such as Mario & Luigi: Dream Team in 2013 and Mario Party: The Top 100 in 2017.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Toadsworth first appeared in Sunshine so he is canon. He was also in Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door and Mario Party 7 and after 7 we haven't seen him since from what I can recall. Nintendo just forgot he existed after the Gamecube era.

Ray102396

Smash Apprentice
I don't think it's so much that they removed him than it is they just don't have much of a chance to use him. Unlike Toadette he's not really the athetic type, y'know? Besides, he's still made the odd appearance outside of remakes, such as Mario & Luigi: Dream Team in 2013 and Mario Party: The Top 100 in 2017.

What was that about Toadsworth not being athletic?

:ultpacman:

Griselda

Smash Lord
While we're on the topic, do you think they'd replace the Chancellor with Toadsworth in a potential SMRPG remake? And what about Peach's supposed grandmother?

Ravioko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RaviokoTheCat
3DS FC
1263-8771-0336
Switch FC
SW-0032-6272-2452
While we're on the topic, do you think they'd replace the Chancellor with Toadsworth in a potential SMRPG remake? And what about Peach's supposed grandmother?
I think they would add in Toadsworth, but Peach's grandmother being cut or just being an old lady Toad who's her grandma in spirit is 50/50.

MisterMike

Smash Champion

What was that about Toadsworth not being athletic?

:ultpacman:
Baseball ain't like platforming, Raymond.

Yes for the former, maybe for the latter if they don't decide to further establish her as a character beyond random background Toad.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Forgive my ignorance, but who exactly is Pushdustin and why is he so important?

Also, why does he Push....dustin? Kinda rude if you ask me.
Probably no one important.

Just to clear up some misconceptions: I don't work with GameXplain on any videos. I did a discussion with them once? Most of the time they just repost my translations.

Also, I don't officially work on Source Gaming anymore.
I still push some updates to things like the Definitive Unused Fighter List, and Smash Ultimate Timeline in order to help people get the right information.

I just do DYKG (research, fact checking and video editing), Memory Card and my own personal Twitter. I did invent "Hype Responsibly." It was a title of an article I wrote way back in the day. Nirbion is the one who made it into a meme! Anyway, I'll go back to lurking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom