• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So, thanks to X Xehanort1372019 and Paraspikey Paraspikey , a lot of new things to talk about have dropped in the past day:

-Super Mario All-stars has leaked online and, intrigue upon intrigue, not only does the Super Mario 64 rom have remnants of an impressive spread of N64 games but one of the games is, (drum roll please), Perfect Dark. In short, the N64 NSO and the new Nintendo/RARE collab rumors just got a massive boon.

-Donkey Kong Country got a massive trademark update that went public yesterday. The trademark includes updates for 45 "items" including a mobile game, a home console game, and a downloadable game. What's especially interesting is that 6 of the 8 trademarks were tied to major announcements that happened earlier this month. Fun stuff.

So, these are kind of game changers on a number of fronts. For starters (insert multiple Warios walking down a hallway and pointing at incredible things here). Second, it implies that these major announcements aren't too terribly far off into the future and that we could be seeing some of Nintendo's 2021 plans by November. Could an October Direct be a thing? Is Nintendo actually planning some stealth announcements near TGS? Will we actually get a September Smash reveal or will Nintendo hold its cards until October? I was already suspicious of insiders being weirdly quiet this week and these bombshells kind of support my hunch that this week was going to be uneventful. Gotta say, as annoying as all of this is, I totally dig the idea of Geno being an October reveal and/or release. 🎃

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
So, thanks to X Xehanort1372019 and Paraspikey Paraspikey , a lot of new things to talk about have dropped in the past day:

-Super Mario All-stars has leaked online and, intrigue upon intrigue, not only does the Super Mario 64 rom have remnants of an impressive spread of N64 games but one of the games is, (drum roll please), Perfect Dark. In short, the N64 NSO and the new Nintendo/RARE collab rumors just got a massive boon.

-Donkey Kong Country got a massive trademark update that went public yesterday. The trademark includes updates for 45 "items" including a mobile game. What's especially interesting is that 6 of the 8 trademarks were tied to major announcements that happened earlier this month. Fun stuff.

So, these are kind of game changers on a number of fronts. For starters (insert multiple Warios walking down a hallway and pointing at incredible things here). Second, it implies that these major announcements aren't too terribly far off into the future and that we could be seeing some of Nintendo's 2021 plans by November. Could an October Direct be a thing? Is Nintendo actually planning some stealth announcements near TGS? Will we actually get a September Smash reveal or will Nintendo hold its cards until October? I was already suspicious of insiders being weirdly quiet this week and these bombshells kind of support my hunch that this week was going to be uneventful. Gotta say, as annoying as all of this is, I totally dig the idea of Geno being an October reveal and/or release. 🎃
"OH BABY IT'S A TRIPLE!!!"

Now these are the developments I like to see. Let's GET IT! Hopefully some news by either this Thursday, or heck, TGS it'll be. :denzel:

MattX20

Smash Hero

-Donkey Kong Country got a massive trademark update that went public yesterday. The trademark includes updates for 45 "items" including a mobile game. What's especially interesting is that 6 of the 8 trademarks were tied to major announcements that happened earlier this month. Fun stuff.

What a nice thing to find out after I get home from work

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Hopefully news comes out soon as it feels like its perpetually 'Maybe we'll get an update this -insert month-'

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The N64 games are really interesting. The fact that three of them are Mario games and that Mario Kart is notably missing is def con 1 levels of suspicious. Granted, I already said after the Mario presentation that there was already strong evidence that Nintendo wasn't done with major Mario announcements for the anniversary and was likely holding back at least two games but this is definitely a huge boost to this sentiment. They're clearly holding on to a lot of major announcements for timing purposes but...

images (2).jpeg

Whyyyyhyhyyyyyyyyy?!?

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
The N64 games are really interesting. The fact that three of them are Mario games and that Mario Kart is notably missing is def con 1 levels of suspicious. Granted, I already said after the Mario presentation that there was already strong evidence that Nintendo wasn't done with major Mario announcements for the anniversary and was likely holding back at least two games but this is definitely a huge boost to this sentiment. They're clearly holding on to a lot of major announcements for timing purposes but...

View attachment 285653

Whyyyyhyhyyyyyyyyy?!?
And now that they are receiving record breaking numbers in video views and sales, expect them to be even more silent going forward since they will link the two.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Remember lads, Nintendo is currently celebrating Super Mario Bros.' 35th Anniversary at full swing. This would ensue praising and delivering Mario games that would cover all the genres it has tested;
  • Platformers (Super Mario 3D All Stars, Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury, Super Mario Odyssey)
  • Racing/Sports (Super Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Super Mario Kart Tour, and...?)
  • Action/Adventure (Paper Mario: The Origami King)
  • RPG (HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.....)

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace

View attachment 285653

Whyyyyhyhyyyyyyyyy?!?
Do you think there might be another collection of Mario games?

Ovaltine

Smash Master
So it seems that due to the most recent standard issue chapter Attack On Fatman, it seems you all somehow missed this.

So my whole thing is, if you are/were a tester who would likely know this ****, HOW CAN YOU JUST TALK ABOUT THIS?

HOW IN THE ABSOLUTE **** CAN YOU JUST SAY SOMETHING LIKE THIS, WORDED IN SUCH A WAY, AND ACT LIKE IT'S NOTHING?!
I'm not gonna take it as a hint, but I ****ing love this post from Ryce because... yes? Geno is a total bamf, let's be real, but he's also got a design that appeals to the cuter side of things. He's got a nice mix of both. On top of that, he's definitely a very whimsical character and is not in any way an edgelord. People often misinterpret him, and it infuriates me, so it just... makes me happy to see people like Ryce looking at Geno for who he actually is. It's funny how Geno's detractors often slam his personality when they don't even seem to recognize it properly to begin with.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Could you elaborate on this point a bit more? Because to the layman this conceptually makes no sense
I'm not a super technical guy myself so I would probably awkwardly fumble the explanation. Slender Slender You're like a 100 times smarter than me when it comes to this stuff, mind helping out?

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman

View attachment 285653

Whyyyyhyhyyyyyyyyy?!?
Speaking of Mario Kart, I remember back in June how Vergeben was saying that Mario Kart 9 is real and that it was supposed to come out this holiday but it got delayed to 2021. It'a a bit off topic but do you personally think a new Mario Kart will happen in the, hopefully, near future?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Do you think there might be another collection of Mario games?
No, but I kind of made a face like this:

phatmanopog.jpg

upon seeing these two updates because they back an absurd number of rumors that we've been talking about going back to last December:

-Provides evidence that more Mario 35th anniversary announcements are coming. Ties into Geno and SMRPG pretty obviously.

-More evidence to a new DKC gives even more backing to my guy that claimed last December that three major "missing" SNES games would be tied to major announcements in 2020. In January, he outright said one was DKC, even back there was already a ton of evidence for the other two, one being SMRPG. (Once again, don't say the third out loud, even if you think you know.)

-Perfect Dark has once again coincidentally popped up. One of Mii Costume Guy's costume predictions last December was Johanna Dark. Once again, Mii Costume Guy was the guy that leaked Banjo's costumes last July as well as claimed Mallow and Smithy Mii costumes were coming.

Nazyrus Nazyrus said in July that there was strong evidence that the next game Camelot being worked on wasn't Mario Tennis or Mario Golf related. With both N64 games potentially coming soon, this not only gives a ton of credence to his information as well as his Golden Sun Remake info.

-With Nintendo going balls to the wall with Mario ports, remakes, and remasters for the 35th anniversary, not only gives credence to more coming but hard backs the rumors that Nintendo is going to do something similar for the Zelda 35th. Speaking of which...

One of my guys shared something with me shortly after the Mario presentation but I wanted to hold onto it until more came up to support its legitimacy. Basically said that Nintendo was very impressed with the sales of Link's Awakening on Switch and greenlit several other handheld classic remakes. Of course, this ties into the Wario Land rumors that were already out there but one of the games he specifically mentioned was Super Mario Land 2: the Six Golden Coins (AKA the Start of Something Incredible ™). On that front, it just throws more on the pile that a SMRPG remake wouldn't be that unbelievable at this point.

-More evidence for the N64 NSO backs one of my guys, the same that low-key hinted that a major SMRPG related announcement was coming in 2020. Like I shared here, the rumor has been around all summer now but someone in my camp finally said it checked out in late August.

-Perfect Dark out of the blue gives more backing to the Nintendo/RARE collab rumors being true as well as rumors that Nintendo and Microsoft have major plans together in the foreseeable future. (MCC? Chief in Smash? Banjo on Switch?!? Guess we'll eventually find out.)

-Of course, with Perfect Dark comes the potential Johanna Dark Mii costume which would more than likely come with a Microsoft character who would most likely be Master Chief based on what all has come out since last December which thematically supports the elusive Cacodemon Mii Costumewhich in short supports Cacomallow which supports Geno in Smash. (How's that for 7 degrees of Kevin Bacon?)

-Mario Golf and Mario Tennis popping up gives a decent amount of backing that the "Mario Sports" trademark update in July didn't have to do with either of those spin-off series and in fact supports the rumor that we're either getting a new Strikers or a new Mario sports game altogether. As a recap, the two Mario game announcements that I believed were suspiciously missing from the Mario Direct were this rumored sports game and the rumored SMRPG remake/sequel.

I'm probably forgetting more but let's just say that these two pieces of news are really good for the Geno fanbase on a wide variety of fronts.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
No, but I kind of made a face like this:

View attachment 285657

upon seeing these two updates because they back an absurd number of rumors that we've been talking about going back to last December:

-Provides evidence that more Mario 35th anniversary announcements are coming. Ties into Geno and SMRPG pretty obviously.

-More evidence to a new DKC gives even more backing to my guy that claimed last December that three major "missing" SNES games would be tied to major announcements in 2020. In January, he outright said one was DKC, even back there was already a ton of evidence for the other two, one being SMRPG. (Once again, don't say the third out loud, even if you think you know.)

-Perfect Dark has once again coincidentally popped up. One of Mii Costume Guy's costume predictions last December was Johanna Dark. Once again, Mii Costume Guy was the guy that leaked Banjo's costumes last July as well as claimed Mallow and Smithy Mii costumes were coming.

Nazyrus Nazyrus said in July that there was strong evidence that the next game Camelot being worked on wasn't Mario Tennis or Mario Golf related. With both N64 games potentially coming soon, this not only gives a ton of credence to his information as well as his Golden Sun Remake info.

-With Nintendo going balls to the wall with Mario ports, remakes, and remasters for the 35th anniversary, not only gives credence to more coming but hard backs the rumors that Nintendo is going to do something similar for the Zelda 35th. Speaking of which...

One of my guys shared something with me shortly after the Mario presentation but I wanted to hold onto it until more came up to support its legitimacy. Basically said that Nintendo was very impressed with the sales of Link's Awakening on Switch and greenlit several other handheld classic remakes. Of course, this ties into the Wario Land rumors that were already out there but one of the games he specifically mentioned was Super Mario Land 2: the Six Golden Coins (AKA the Start of Something Incredible ™). On that front, it just throws more on the pile that a SMRPG remake wouldn't be that unbelievable at this point.

-More evidence for the N64 NSO backs one of my guys, the same that low-key hinted that a major SMRPG related announcement was coming in 2020. Like I shared here, the rumor has been around all summer now but someone in my camp finally said it checked out in late August.

-Perfect Dark out of the blue gives more backing to the Nintendo/RARE collab rumors being true as well as rumors that Nintendo and Microsoft have major plans together in the foreseeable future. (MCC? Chief in Smash? Banjo on Switch?!? Guess we'll eventually find out.)

-Of course, with Perfect Dark comes the potential Johanna Dark Mii costume which would more than likely come with a Microsoft character who would most likely be Master Chief based on what all has come out since last December which thematically supports the elusive Cacodemon Mii Costumewhich in short supports Cacomallow which supports Geno in Smash. (How's that for 7 degrees of Kevin Bacon?)

I'm probably forgetting more but let's just say that these two pieces of news are really good for the Geno fanbase on a wide variety of fronts.
In other words, it's just more evidence to the already massive pile in Geno's favor

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Why I am not receiving messages from this thread that often anymore? I still follow this thread so why is this happening to me?
It happens some times; I'm not sure why. (maybe it's an issue with reading the thread but not seeing the most recent post?)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Speaking of Mario Kart, I remember back in June how Vergeben was saying that Mario Kart 9 is real and that it was supposed to come out this holiday but it got delayed to 2021. It'a a bit off topic but do you personally think a new Mario Kart will happen in the, hopefully, near future?
With this update and Mario Kart 64 being blatantly absent, I feel like it gives credence to the theory that Nintendo is holding off on it to avoid competition with another Mario Kart game, whether that ends up being Mario Kart: Cat Chaser or a 2021 Mario Kart 9. Also, let's face it, online Mario Kart 64 is something that people have literally wanted since online play became a thing and there's no way in hell that Nintendo would make something like that free*.

*With a Nintendo Switch Online annual subscription.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It happens some times; I'm not sure why. (maybe it's an issue with reading the thread but not seeing the most recent post?)
No, it's like most of the messages I receive are messages from the likes I get from the thread and people who quote me. But I only get a couple of messages replying just to the thread.

Dukefire

Smash Master
No, it's like most of the messages I receive are messages from the likes I get from the thread and people who quote me. But I only get a couple of messages replying just to the thread.
It only updates you on the current page you last were at. Once it moves on to another page, you won't get anymore updates until you flip to the latest one

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
I'm not a super technical guy myself so I would probably awkwardly fumble the explanation. Slender Slender You're like a 100 times smarter than me when it comes to this stuff, mind helping out?
Good afternoon, everyone! After taking a look into these findings, here's what I can gather:

- Super Mario 3D All-Stars contains an entire N64 emulator to run SM64. Looking into it, people are torn on whether or not this emulator is brand-new, or a modified version of the Wii U's N64 Virtual Console emulator. Signs point to a modified Wii U emulator, as there's apparently code linked to the 64DD that perfectly matches the Wii U's.

- Within the code of this emulator, a few peculiar strings were found:

6738 │ ;18n64Kirby64Renderer
6739 │ 20n64MarioGolfRenderer
6740 │ 21n64MarioStoryRenderer
6741 │ 22n64MarioTennisRenderer
6742 │ 22n64PerfectDarkRenderer
6743 │ 22n64PokemonSnapRenderer

If you don't know what a renderer/render engine is, it's basically the software that converts the 3D environment of a game into code that a screen is able to properly interpret and display. The word from the person who found these is that this list is incomplete, and there could be more.

There's a good chance this could be hinting at something new for the N64, but another option is that the emulator was tested in-house to make sure it was functioning properly. Although SM64 is the only game meant to be played on this emulator at the moment, there's good chance that Nintendo ran through some other N64 titles to ensure that it ran properly, no matter what was thrown at it. The fact that the only remnants of this are a few strings leads me to believe that this was simply testing.

In terms of Perfect Dark popping its head in, I don't see it as much of a big deal. There's obviously conclusions you can lead to when you see the name Perfect Dark, but Nintendo wouldn't be in any trouble for merely having the words "Perfect" and "Dark" show up somewhere in the code.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Good afternoon, everyone! After taking a look into these findings, here's what I can gather:

- Super Mario 3D All-Stars contains an entire N64 emulator to run SM64. Looking into it, people are torn on whether or not this emulator is brand-new, or a modified version of the Wii U's N64 Virtual Console emulator. Signs point to a modified Wii U emulator, as there's apparently code linked to the 64DD that perfectly matches the Wii U's.

- Within the code of this emulator, a few peculiar strings were found:

6738 │ ;18n64Kirby64Renderer
6739 │ 20n64MarioGolfRenderer
6740 │ 21n64MarioStoryRenderer
6741 │ 22n64MarioTennisRenderer
6742 │ 22n64PerfectDarkRenderer
6743 │ 22n64PokemonSnapRenderer

If you don't know what a renderer/render engine is, it's basically the software that converts the 3D environment of a game into code that a screen is able to properly interpret and display. The word from the person who found these is that this list is incomplete, and there could be more.

There's a good chance this could be hinting at something new for the N64, but another option is that the emulator was tested in-house to make sure it was functioning properly. Although SM64 is the only game meant to be played on this emulator at the moment, there's good chance that Nintendo ran through some other N64 titles to ensure that it ran properly, no matter what was thrown at it. The fact that the only remnants of this are a few strings leads me to believe that this was simply testing.

In terms of Perfect Dark popping its head in, I don't see it as much of a big deal. There's obviously conclusions you can lead to when you see the name Perfect Dark, but Nintendo wouldn't be in any trouble for merely having the words "Perfect" and "Dark" show up somewhere in the code.
So basically, N64 Mini with Rareware games included incoming?

a random user

Smash Journeyman
With this update and Mario Kart 64 being blatantly absent, I feel like it gives credence to the theory that Nintendo is holding off on it to avoid competition with another Mario Kart game, whether that ends up being Mario Kart: Cat Chaser or a 2021 Mario Kart 9. Also, let's face it, online Mario Kart 64 is something that people have literally wanted since online play became a thing and there's no way in hell that Nintendo would make something like that free*.

*With a Nintendo Switch Online annual subscription.
but mario cart live IS cat chaser, you just have to close the door so it can't escape, and remove anything it could jump on.

Yoro

Smash Rookie
Going a smidge off topic, but who would I talk to to get into the Star Road discord or any discord to keep me up to date with Smash/Geno stuff?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
You know, with these gigaleaks from Nintendo and discovered code in their games of potential other games from the past few months, its amazing that after all this, none of it involves Smash. Nothing has been majorly leaked with it. And not leaks as in rumors or coy eye raising comments, but stuff like the giga leak or finding Smash code in something.

Funny, the one only topic of news I want is Smash, and that's the one thing they are adamantly keeping under insane security.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
You know, with these gigaleaks from Nintendo and discovered code in their games of potential other games from the past few months, its amazing that after all this, none of it involves Smash. Nothing has been majorly leaked with it. And not leaks as in rumors or coy eye raising comments, but stuff like the giga leak or finding Smash code in something.

Funny, the one only topic of news I want is Smash, and that's the one thing they are adamantly keeping under insane security.
Probably because most of the stuff from the Giga leak is from the SNES/N64/Gamecube/Wii periods.

It would help to include some text in this post, but I'm not sure if it's just leftovers from the Wii U virtual console. Perfect Dark was never released on the Wii U.
But Perfect Dark could have been in the N64 source code at Nintendo HQ. Maybe they couldn't remove it when implementing N64 on VC due to potentially deleting it causing corruption in the files.

Firox

Smash Master
In other news, I find it incredibly annoying that Nintendo can patch out toxic language but still seems incapable of updating the e-shop UI or aesthetic. I'm STILL waiting for more background colors for the general UI. Dammit Nintendo, why are you so painfully inept? To this day, I find it laughable that I have to explain to my wife that Switch doesn't support apps like Netflix despite the fact that Wii U did. Heck, the Wii U eshop was AMAZING compared to the bare-bones dumpster fire that is the Switch's. Sorry for the rant, but their morbid lack of competence is really starting to wear on me. At least it's good to know that when the world is literally on fire, if nothing else, we have the comfort of corporate virtue signaling.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
From what I understand reading all the back and forth commentary regarding the N64 stuff:

-Super Mario All-stars uses a Wii U emulator to run Super Mario 64.

-The emulator is similar to the one that Nintendo used to run N64 games on the Wii U but it's not 1:1.

-There's decent evidence that it was modified but the current debate is how heavily modified.

As Slender pointed out, depending on how much Nintendo was tinkering with this in-house, it provides evidence that Nintendo was likely doinking around with N64 roms for more than one purpose.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
From what I understand reading all the back and forth commentary regarding the N64 stuff:

-Super Mario All-stars uses a Wii U emulator to run Super Mario 64.

-The emulator is similar to the one that Nintendo used to run N64 games on the Wii U but it's not 1:1.

-There's decent evidence that it was modified but the current debate is how heavily modified.

As Slender pointed out, depending on how much Nintendo was tinkering with this in-house, it provides evidence that Nintendo was likely doinking around with N64 roms for more than one purpose.
What I want to know is, how come the intro cinematic to the game features Mario 64 in widescreen but playing the game itself has the black bars on the side? (I'm referring to the recent Nintendo Minute showcase of the game, where they showed the game's intro.)

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
Going a smidge off topic, but who would I talk to to get into the Star Road discord or any discord to keep me up to date with Smash/Geno stuff?
I can help you with that! Unfortunately, we had to change the invite link a little while back, and I forgot to update my signature here.
This is the new link: https://discord.gg/GywS2yq
Take care!

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
While it may just be Wii U leftovers for the most part, I think Perfect Dark is interesting to note since it wasn’t on the Wii U as mentioned before by Megadoomer. While it could be source code, I guess, there’s really no reason for the games to be mixed in with the code of the N64 system itself, and they could’ve just tested it on all their first-party games, so this could lead to something imo.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I personally feel that Nintendo would be missing out big time if they decided to leave this generation's "virtual console" limited strictly to NES/SNES. The Switch has proven that it can run N64, GCN, and Wii games, not to mention GameBoy, DS, and perhaps 3DS games. There's a lot of potential here.

a random user

Smash Journeyman
I personally feel that Nintendo would be missing out big time if they decided to leave this generation's "virtual console" limited strictly to NES/SNES. The Switch has proven that it can run N64, GCN, and Wii games, not to mention GameBoy, DS, and perhaps 3DS games. There's a lot of potential here.
ds/3ds has quite a few problems with any games, that need the bottom screen for touch controls. Gameboy should run fine
edit: also adding in the original gameboy/ gameboy color

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom