• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
There are two separate Halloween Ed Edd n Eddy fan comics.

One where Ed becomes a werewolf, Double D becomes a werewolf vampire hybrid, and Eddy becomes a monster hunter. It’s edgy and hilarious.

In the other (Bring me to Ed) Ed falls in love with a chicken, who is then killed by a black stereotype. The chicken’s human ghost lingers in, bewitches Ed, turns him into a hot topic reject with satanic powers, and the other kids have to get him back. It is also edgy and hilarious.

Every year around Halloween the /co/ board story times those comics and I eagerly look forward to it each year.
Is there a specific date for this? or do I just have to lurk to catch it? I might be in; that sounds funny af.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Apparently, the Direct archive updated again today.

At this point, I'm not sure if it updating two days before the Mario direct was just a coincidence; I don't know how often these updates happen.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Is there a specific date for this? or do I just have to lurk to catch it? I might be in; that sounds funny af.
It should be on Halloween, it may start a few days before so I’d start checking the /co/ board for storytime threads around late October. It’s been the highlight of my fall season for years now. It never gets old.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Feel like this week makes the most sense because the Mario anniversary is on Sunday, the investors meeting is next Wednesday, Super Mario All Stars is next Friday, and then it's TGS the next week along with the new Amiibo wave. I kind of standby what I said earlier in that if it doesn't happen this week we're probably rotundly ****ed until October because if you go all the way back to 2012, the dates for General Directs in September have been: 13, 1, 13, 13 (was delayed a week), and 4.

Trevenant

Smash Lord

At this point, I'm not sure if it updating two days before the Mario direct was just a coincidence; I don't know how often these updates happen.
Is that the second time? If I had to guess if there are 2, probably a partner showcase and a game specific, probably Pikmin even if it seems somewhat outlandish it gets that much attention. I have been waiting to see if they will add something more major to Pikmin 3 tbh as none of it really screams Nintendo Wii U port to me. They usually have some large draw so I'd assume it's probably that. Still Im pretty certain it's probably a glitch of some kind. 2 directs doesn't seem too likely to me especially considering it can't include things like a potential Sakurai showcase

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero

3 times in a row? That's pretty significant

MattX20

Smash Hero
Feel like this week makes the most sense because the Mario anniversary is on Sunday, the investors meeting is next Wednesday, Super Mario All Stars is next Friday, and then it's TGS the next week along with the new Amiibo wave. I kind of standby what I said earlier in that if it doesn't happen this week we're probably rotundly ****ed until October because if you go all the way back to 2012, the dates for General Directs in September have been: 13, 1, 13, 13 (was delayed a week), and 4.
Actually, it would be the week after next week for the amiibos, but otherwise yes

SeanHicksArt

Smash Rookie
I'm feeling that something is happening is soon. A strong gut feeling. As far as if it's this week? Not 100% sure, but if it is I could see an announcement for it Wed. Then the thing showing on Friday. Staying pretty optimistic about it being sooner than later overall.

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Mark my words. We ain't gonna get anything this week given how many times we've been teased.
Haven't really been teased anything. If it were teased Nintendo would have hinted at it or something. These direct playlist updates don't raise the chances for a hypothetical Sakurai showcase anyway asnone of them like Min Min or Byleth are on there. It's literally everything with Direct in the name or E3 presentations. The main things are the lack of a spirit event last week (which could be less insightful now) and amiibo theory.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Haven't really been teased anything. If it were teased Nintendo would have hinted at it or something. These direct playlist updates don't raise the chances for a hypothetical Sakurai showcase anyway asnone of them like Min Min or Byleth are on there. It's literally everything with Direct in the name or E3 presentations. The main things are the lack of a spirit event last week (which could be less insightful now) and amiibo theory.
What I mean by tease is there are seemingly signs of a general direct or FP7 and then it ends up being nothing or something else (Like another boring partner direct).

Trevenant

Smash Lord
What I mean by tease is there are seemingly signs of a general direct or FP7 and then it ends up being nothing or something else (Like another boring partner direct).
Eh, there hasn't really been any teases which indicate something smash related specifically which also has overlap with a potential partner showcase unless they unveil a smash character there or something.
which is no

a random user

Smash Journeyman
I don't really think that Nintendo is really reclusive and protective (well they are protective, but not for the same reasons you are suggesting) with their IP's, rather the problem is that they have too many good IP's that it may not be worth it to regularly use old IP's. I mean you have your big 3 that won't ever die with Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon; that see multiple releases/spin-off's every generation and get advertised like crazy, essentially their "lifeblood". And then you have the regulars (the series that at this point will regularly get new releases unless they start flopping like crazy), with things like Fire Emblem, Donkey Kong, Metroid, Xenoblade, Kirby, Splatoon, Animal Crossing, and Smash. And then you have them developing/co-developing new IP with Astral Chain, Dragalia Lost, Ring Fit on the side. On top of that, even if you hate it; there are spin-offs regularly released, just that most of them are on the mobile environment.

All of those largely cover pretty much every niche they could really want, and have a lot of room for potential growth. Just those alone give Nintendo the strongest 1st party lineup in the industry.

But then there are the underutilized series like Kid Icarus, Golden Sun, Star Fox, F-Zero, etc. And outside of Golden Sun and Kid Icarus, the gameplay loop of Star Fox/F-Zero is a hard sell for most people for a full price. Golden Sun could obviously be revived as a turn based JRPG, which has a lot of fans in the modern era. Kid Icarus worked really well with the split between on the rails and ground sections, and could develop more along that line but at the same time Uprising was a pretty good "sendoff" to the series, and outside of a port I don't really think it needs anything currently (and Sakurai is too busy with Smash anyways).

That really leaves Star-Fox and F-Zero as the missing link. Obviously, Star-Fox attempted a revival but that revival was pretty bad and the game flopped, but at the same time is there really a huge audience that wants a $60 rail shooter? $30 I would get, but for a super niche genre nowadays, full price seems like a stretch. They could go the same route as Kid Icarus and make it a hybrid between the rail shooter, and action/adventure (kind of like Star Fox Adventures) but at the same time, most Star Fox fans want a true rail shooter and not SF Adventures 2. And if they go hybrid, may as well make it a new Kid Icarus game instead, as those fans liked the direction of Uprising.

F-Zero on the other hand also struggles with the same problem, where there are fans that want a new F-Zero; but the genre itself is a hard sell for $60 (outside of party racers like Mario Kart). Most of the successful racers on other consoles try to be "ultra-realistic" in terms of graphics, and regularly get discounted (both of which Nintendo can't/won't do). So essentially both Star Fox and F-Zero are on a situation where there are fans clamoring for a second chance, but Nintendo probably thinks it isn't worth it going for such a niche audience, when there internal team could be focused on the next Mario/Zelda/whatever. Golden Sun will get a revival and KI:U could probably get remastered down the line (and maybe a sequel in like 10 years).

So in the end, Nintendo may have regressed in their usage of old/underutilized IP's (though I would argue that they never really used them in any other generation either, apart from a game here or there); but in terms of new IP's, Nintendo is doing better than ever. FE keeps on getting a little more popular, Xenoblade 2 managed to sell over 2mil and DE is around 1.5mil, Astral Chain did over a mil, and Ring Fit is at 4-5mil.
smash is definitely in lifeblood. smash, mario kart, zelda, 3d mario, and pokemon make up their top selling francheses. Splatoon is a potential contender if it can maintain it's current popularity, haveing sold to 50% of the switch's install base, as well as being one of the top selling games on wii u

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Likely just a bunch of random characters from the roster. Yoshi, Marth, Meta Knight, Captain Falcon, Ridley, Greninja, and Wolf to name a few.
I would like to think of Yoshi being more on team SMRPG as he is kind of a ally or friend in that game with Mario helping Yoshi out against Boshi in the race in Yo'ster Isle.

It would be cool to have Yoshi be a partner in the next SMRPG game.

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Mark my words. We ain't gonna get anything this week given how many times we've been teased.
[MisterMike will remember that.]

I'm feeling that something is happening is soon. A strong gut feeling. As far as if it's this week? Not 100% sure, but if it is I could see an announcement for it Wed. Then the thing showing on Friday. Staying pretty optimistic about it being sooner than later overall.
Yo, your SMRPG Waluigi is fire.
TwoHundredPointZeroPercentWah.png

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Yeah, Jon just... knew about Ridley as far back as the day Ultimate was announced in March 2018, knew about Aces before its announcement, "guessed" that Kirby's Epic Yarn would end up on the 3DS and not the Switch, and "guessed" exactly which Final Fantasy ports would land on Switch (Final Fantasy VII, IX, X, X-2) right down to the one that would get excluded at the time (VIII), oh and his calling card of posting otters on Twitter whenever a Direct was about to happen (Back when we still had those anyway)

View attachment 284903

Anyway Jon's an insider who really wants us to believe he isn't
The games called smash bros ultimate and we had the ballot. Anyone can put 2 and 2 together and think “hey we’ve just had the ballot and Ridley is popular so there’s a chance he’s gonna be in”

We’ve had a mario tennis game every console so I mario tennis game was likely, no leak there just using his brain and thinking.

final fantasy ports were probably rumoured back then and he probably took a wild guess and named most of them By pure luck

3ds ports were guessable. Especially Kirby.

Again, he’s not a leaker, he just uses his brain because he’s smart. There’s tons of things he gets wrong as well and that’s because he speculates and guesses. Once again, not a leaker.

J. Bond

Smash Journeyman
The games called smash bros ultimate and we had the ballot. Anyone can put 2 and 2 together and think “hey we’ve just had the ballot and Ridley is popular so there’s a chance he’s gonna be in”

We’ve had a mario tennis game every console so I mario tennis game was likely, no leak there just using his brain and thinking.

final fantasy ports were probably rumoured back then and he probably took a wild guess and named most of them By pure luck

3ds ports were guessable. Especially Kirby.

Again, he’s not a leaker, he just uses his brain because he’s smart. There’s tons of things he gets wrong as well and that’s because he speculates and guesses. Once again, not a leaker.
Game wasn't called Ultimate back then and Ridley is too big to be in. IIRC he predicted the title Aces not just Mario Tennis. "just a lucky guess" is no argument. 3DS ports were not predictable especially not Kirby's Epic Yarn.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Something people don't seem to know/aren't acknowledging is that the Direct site wouldn't be updating for a Sakurai Presents, those aren't directs and aren't archived there. A very spicy tidbit that combined with the points Fatman has made paints a very interesting picture. I'm still not expecting any kind of general but it raises some questions.

Last edited:

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
*Us when Nintendo doesn't have another Direct/Smash presentation for over a month despite Nintendo updating the Direct playlist three times now
5CE4AA3F-C30B-4114-98DB-63EC92E63A98.jpeg

(Okay seriously, at first I thought someone in here gave an explanation for why the playlist updated, but now Nintendo has updated it a third time? I am suspicious. ...though I should know better than to get my hopes up.)

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Game wasn't called Ultimate back then and Ridley is too big to be in. IIRC he predicted the title Aces not just Mario Tennis. "just a lucky guess" is no argument. 3DS ports were not predictable especially not Kirby's Epic Yarn.
even if the game wasn’t called ultimate back then the ballot was still a thing and was gonna be used. People wanted Riley and he was one of the most requested characters so anyone can put 2 and 2 together.

the too big argument can’t Be applied anyways because in 3D mario games bowsers seen as very big and turns giant a lot of the time. If the too big rule is gonna apply to Ridley then it has to apply to bowser as well

aces isn’t a hardish guess. It’s one word added onto mario tennis which is associated with tennis itself

lucky guesses can happen.

the 3ds wasn’t fully dead back then so ports were gonna happen

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
Considering that it was basically confirmed by accident that most of this stuff relating to Mario was delayed by about five months, I actually wouldn't be surprised if we were heading into October before we hear anything else.

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
Are we certain we can't count the Mario direct as Nintendo's "September direct"? Seems logical Nintendo might consider that their big "Update"...

Oh, its BS i know, but this is Nintendo we're talking about.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Also, RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 leaked for Switch. Why is this important? Well it's less about the game itself and more HOW it leaked.
https://nintendoeverything.com/rollercoaster-tycoon-3-complete-edition-seemingly-leaked-for-switch/
It leaked through Nintendo's servers, which has happened in the past with games like Fortnite and Paladins back in 2018, and those only leaked a few days before being publicly revealed at E3. Basically, it means that this is almost certainly getting revealed SOON, maybe through a Partner Showcase. We'll have to see.

even if the game wasn’t called ultimate back then the ballot was still a thing and was gonna be used. People wanted Riley and he was one of the most requested characters so anyone can put 2 and 2 together.

the too big argument can’t Be applied anyways because in 3D mario games bowsers seen as very big and turns giant a lot of the time. If the too big rule is gonna apply to Ridley then it has to apply to bowser as well

aces isn’t a hardish guess. It’s one word added onto mario tennis which is associated with tennis itself

But again, he wasn't even talking about Mario Tennis. He literally just said "This direct will be Aces" (capital aces by the way) with no context, and it only became clear what he was referring to the next day. I'm in the camp of "Jon isn't doing these kinds of teases anymore people so stop reading into everything he says" but acting like he's never done it is silly. Acting like they don't know anything is silly, they're journalists, of course they hear a bunch of things and have contacts. I remember Andre getting mad at people on Twitter over people not believing him on the Wonderful 101 rumors back in February.

Considering that it was basically confirmed by accident that most of this stuff relating to Mario was delayed by about five months, I actually wouldn't be surprised if we were heading into October before we hear anything else.
The Mario Stuff getting delayed 5 months is questionable, let me explain. When every thing leaked back in March it was claimed Nintendo planned to focus E3 around Mario's 35th, hold a big event for it, and announce all these games. What I think was meant to happen was that they were going to announce Mario's 35th in the Spring Direct alongside Paper Mario and the Mario Maker 2 update, and save stuff like the Collection for E3. Obviously they still pushed everything back but it's not as bad as you might think.

Last edited:

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
The thing about the Pokemon thing is that.... who said it had to be "Sword n Shield" DLC fighter? What if there was some other hyped up Pokemon game on the horizon that Bandai Namco has a hand in that could be used as the inspiration for a new stage and maybe even character depending on how they wanna swing it? Like yeah, Sword and Shield had post release spirits... but New Pokemon Snap hasn't :) and Bandai Namco's makin that game I believe! They could get a new Pokemon fighter AND tie it into New Pokemon Snap with a stage and spirits and such and maybe said new Pokemon just so happens to be a Gen 8, so they get to have their cake and eat it too. Plus it wouldn't be odd if it were Fighter #9 or whatever with the timing since New Pokemon Snap might not come out til next year anyway.

Geno tho... if this week could be the week... it'd be the end of a very very long journey. I know Forest Maze is greatly associated with Geno and all, and I'd love another Great Cave Offensive style unreasonably large maze stage out of it... but Vista Hill/Bowser's Keep man, that ticks so many boxes, both an iconic Mario RPG stage AND a Bowser Stage! Kinda like how for a Waluigi stage I'd prefer Waluigi's Island from Mario Party 3: Both a Waluigi stage and a Mario Party stage.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord

Boy, you really don't want Jon to be what he is for some reason.

I have to say, your attitude on this is OTTERly ridiculous.

Supirorguy

Smash Cadet
Because it's apples and oranges. Geno has considerably more going for him than just the good word of insiders. Supirorguy Supirorguy my precocious friend, this is kind of your forte. Would you be willing to explain why the Pokemon Company really isn't big on DLC?
Well, it's never so much about TPC not liking DLC. There are too many hands in the cookie jar. It's nearly impossible to work on a Pokemon project to the extent Sakurai likes working with his partners and the contents of this exchange not leak. You have to go through TPC, Creatures, and Nintendo. Then make small changes and go through them all again. Pokemon maybe the odd one out where Sakurai would like to just take the reigns himself, but I just don't see it. Things like spirits and the Rocket Grunt costume are totally possible. We could definitely see more Pokemon content, I'd argue we're almost guaranteed more after Crown Tundra launches, but "veteran DLC" seems to be where the line is drawn on Smash and Pokemon post-launch content. Everyone is Here? I don't expect anyone else.

Last edited:

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
Also, RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 leaked for Switch. Why is this important? Well it's less about the game itself and more HOW it leaked.
https://nintendoeverything.com/rollercoaster-tycoon-3-complete-edition-seemingly-leaked-for-switch/
It leaked through Nintendo's servers, which has happened in the past with games like Fortnite and Paladins back in 2018, and those only leaked a few days before being publicly revealed at E3. Basically, it means that this is almost certainly getting revealed SOON, maybe through a Partner Showcase. We'll have to see.

But again, he wasn't even talking about Mario Tennis. He literally just said "This direct will be Aces" (capital aces by the way) with no context, and it only became clear what he was referring to the next day. I'm in the camp of "Jon isn't doing these kinds of teases anymore people so stop reading into everything he says" but acting like he's never done it is silly. Acting like they don't know anything is silly, they're journalists, of course they hear a bunch of things and have contacts. I remember Andre getting mad at people on Twitter over people not believing him on the Wonderful 101 rumors back in February.

The Mario Stuff getting delayed 5 months is questionable, let me explain. When every thing leaked back in March it was claimed Nintendo planned to focus E3 around Mario's 35th, hold a big event for it, and announce all these games. What I think was meant to happen was that they were going to announce Mario's 35th in the Spring Direct alongside Paper Mario and the Mario Maker 2 update, and save stuff like the Collection for E3. Obviously they still pushed everything back but it's not as bad as you might think.
1 - Regarding the delay, I was essentially just referring to the fact that the Mario Maker 2 website was putting an April 2020 date on its Anniversary Challenge, which, considering we're in September now, is where I drew the 5-month conclusion from. I apologize for not making that clear in the prior posting!

2 - The fact that a game like Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 leaked tells me that another Partner presentation is what we're facing next.

Supirorguy

Smash Cadet
1 - Regarding the delay, I was essentially just referring to the fact that the Mario Maker 2 website was putting an April 2020 date on its Anniversary Challenge, which, considering we're in September now, is where I drew the 5-month conclusion from. I apologize for not making that clear in the prior posting!

2 - The fact that a game like Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 leaked tells me that another Partner presentation is what we're facing next.
Tokyo Game Show is incredibly soon. Could be a partner showcase, but I'd be more inclined to bet we're seeing it there.

pinshadow

Smash Lord

I know what you are refering to, I'm just saying that doesn't mean the ENTIRE anniversary celebration was delayed by 5 months, pretty much everything we know implies they planned to spread it out over the year.

Super10ZX

Smash Journeyman
I love how we've reached a point where the idea of ridley in smash can be waved off as an obvious and logical inclusion lol
People before Ridley’s reveal: “Ridley will never be in Smash. Sakurai himself said he is too big to be accurately represented. You have your head in the clouds if you think he’s going to happen.”

People after Ridley’s reveal when talking about Geno: “But Ridley was different. He’s the main villain of his franchise and was popular during the Ballot. Geno is a one off character who’s popularity during the Ballot was minimal. You have your head in the clouds if you think he’s going to happen.”

Also just gonna say this as someone who was around during the Ballot. I remember seeing way more support for Geno then Ridley. Mostly because a lot of people thought Ridley was out of the running for SSB4 because of his stage boss, and Sakurai’s own “too big” comments. Though Ridley supporters were probably just quiet in general out of fear of being ridiculed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom