• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I dunno. Considering three of my coworkers have had family members die over the summer because of COVID-19, it's kind of forced me to put on my Perspective Pants and get the **** over my frustrations about a delayed Direct. Yes, it sucks but if the worst frustration/anxiety you're currently facing is when new Nintendo news is going to drop, consider yourself lucky.

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
Oh, woah. This guy called it being a Partner Direct and seemed confident.

Capture.PNG

EDIT: To avoid double posting, I'm actually going through his most recent stuff and it lines up well with what the thread now seems to be dawning upon. None of this contradicts Fatmanonice Fatmanonice one iota, though I will say that everyone sticking to "something is coming the 28th" is a weird hill to die on all things considered after this morning...

Anyways, what we can now theorize (and not to hijack the thread, just throwing this out there for others to pick through)

-Big event in September (~2nd week) [Markomaro flat out says 9th or 10th, other insiders gave a window that went until Sept 14th or so]

-All those delicious 2020 games (maybe some Fatmanonice Fatmanonice and others hinted at) are now 2021 releases

-2021 will be stacked

-Mario remakes are still coming by end of the year, but nobody knows what's going on with them

-Smash is its own thing and we get the next fighter by end of September, likely announced during the big Sept Direct

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero

View attachment 283543

EDIT: To avoid double posting, I'm actually going through his most recent stuff and it lines up well with what the thread now seems to be dawning upon. None of this contradicts Fatmanonice Fatmanonice one iota, though I will say that everyone sticking to "something is coming the 28th" is a weird hill to die on all things considered after this morning...

Anyways, what we can now theorize (and not to hijack the thread, just throwing this out there for others to pick through)

-Big event in September (~2nd week) [Markomaro flat out says 9th or 10th, other insiders gave a window that went until Sept 14th or so]

-All those delicious 2020 games (maybe some Fatmanonice Fatmanonice and others hinted at) are now 2021 releases

-2021 will be stacked

-Mario remakes are still coming by end of the year, but nobody knows what's going on with them

-Smash is its own thing and we get the next fighter by end of September, likely announced during the big Sept Direct
Chances are next week or the week after that is when we'll not only likely see the reveal for FP7 but also a release date

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Hey can we not immediately jump to a new person after someone was wrong(?) and just simmer on what happened today?
  • Another Partner Showcase, and the absolute confirmation of MORE Partner Showcases this year. I've been saying for awhile that I thought when they implied that back in July it meant no General for the rest of the year... yet still expected something more substantial this week. My mistake.
  • Fatman is right, let's wait until the 28th to see how stuff ACTUALLY plays out. People were already split on what even was this week (Nate said it had first and third parties, Grubb implied it could be anything but that a bigger event would be held by mid-September) and this all feels really off. Now, if the 28th comes around and we do get nothing, I guess the doubters can start acting smug about being right, idk.
  • The whole September event being a general doesn't make much sense, whats the deal with the Partner Showcases then? But I have no clue what it would even be, and it has to be something that would reveal the next Smash character as well so I'm just double stumped.

Last edited:

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Off topic, but has anyone here played the Paper Mario like Indie game called Bug Fables? Right now I'm playing it and I'm already half way through the 2nd chapter. It really feels like a sequel to Thousand Year Door and I'm just really enjoying it.
I actually just beat it a couple of days ago and I had such a blast with this amazing game. I'm going crazy now because I have no new games to play or money to buy new ones but man this game was so worth it. Bug Fables was literally the best game I've played this year.

Because I feel like I have to do this every time it happens, here are the good things to come out of this presentation:

-Nintendo's effectively knocking out smaller announcements in these minis, saving better stuff for Generals.

-Square support still going strong.

-Square continuing to port games to Switch, even super obscure ones.

-We will probably never have to suffer through a Just Dance segment in a General Direct ever again.

-New Puyo Pop game. Mii Costume Guy had Arle as one of his Mii costumes and this gives it more backing.

I mean... You all could chill out. I work on a college campus where like half the student population has to practically be tazered to wash their hands after taking a ****; I think all of us have bigger things to be worried about than whether a Direct actually happens this Friday or not.
Agreed. Taiko no tatsujin also looks pretty cool to me. Even if nothing happens Friday, I feel like I'll still be fully on the hype train until end of September because, no matter what insiders say, I'm positive we will get some big news by then even if it's just the next Smash fighter.

MattX20

Smash Hero
At the very least beyond the upcoming spirit event this Friday, I do have my copies of Wonderful 101 and Ghostbusters Remastered to look at on the Switch. Geno's still got a decent chance of being FP7 and being revealed before the 14th

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Today is yet another crash course on why I don't even bother trying to figure out the dates for things. It's weird to me that over the past couple of months Nintendo fans have been much more interested in the when than the what. As I've said many times, it's the hardest to figure out and always creates the most disappointment when it doesn't pan out. Friday could very well be a notable game shadowdrop but because the expectation of it being a big Direct was established, that's going to super undermine whatever we're supposed to get on Friday if anything.

J. Bond

Smash Journeyman
Should be during the first full week of September. That makes sense.
It should probably be before that meeting on the 16th, before mid-September as Grubb said.
The "first two full weeks of the month" "rule" still stands it seems.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
What even is the meeting on the 16th anyway? They've stated it's not related to any products or services, but it's clearly not a normal meeting since, well they said it wasn't, but also because they don't do stuff like this in September, they just wait until the Q2 briefing in October, so what does that even leave? I know they did one in September of 2015 where they announced the new President and the consolidation of EAD and SPD into EPD, but that's all I can remember. The current guy has only been President for about 2 years now, why would he be stepping down? It just kinda feels weird.

Last edited:

a random user

Smash Journeyman
What even is the meeting on the 16th anyway? They've stated it's not related to any products or services, but it's clearly not a normal meeting since, well they said it wasn't, but also because they don't do stuff like this in September, they just wait until the Q2 briefing in October, so what does that even leave? I know they did one in September of 2015 where they announced the new President and the consolidation of EAD and SPD into EPD, but that's all I can remember. The current guy has only been President for about 2 years now, why would he be stepping down? It just kinda feels weird.
odds are it's a strategy meeting, aka some of our games are falling behind, how do we space this out to work better/stop it from happening again, or it could be about how bad switch unit production got screwed (500 on ebay)

MattX20

Smash Hero
Today is yet another crash course on why I don't even bother trying to figure out the dates for things. It's weird to me that over the past couple of months Nintendo fans have been much more interested in the when than the what. As I've said many times, it's the hardest to figure out and always creates the most disappointment when it doesn't pan out. Friday could very well be a notable game shadowdrop but because the expectation of it being a big Direct was established, that's going to super undermine whatever we're supposed to get on Friday if anything.
It really shows that Nintendo's lack of transparency is doing them no favors

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman

A couple ideas I have seen speculated:

President is stepping down to get in somebody more akin to Iwata

President is stepping down and another executive is taking his place

Shuffling around the executives

Purchasing a smaller developer such as Platinum

Buying a large chunk in a large developer like Namco or Sega

Absorbing some of their second parties such as Game Freak and IS

Announcing they are changing how they develop, announce and release software and hardware

If you ask me, I think it's going to be the last one. It seems to make a lot of sense that they would want to restructure after the year they've had

Last edited:

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Is it that weird to you? To be fair, I think everyone cares much more about the what than the when. But after nearly 365 days of discussing how good the lineup is going to be and constantly adding more games and remakes to the mix, people get sick of hearing about how good things "eventually" will be, particularly in the hellish year of our star savior 2020.

I'm pretty cool with how these past couple weeks have went because we're on the cusp of greatness, but I have to admit even I am getting sick of hearing that good stuff is coming after a summer that continues to be full of Nintendo Presents: Games Not Made By Nintendo.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Is it that weird to you? To be fair, I think everyone cares much more about the what than the when. But after nearly 365 days of discussing how good the lineup is going to be and constantly adding more games and remakes to the mix, people get sick of hearing about how good things "eventually" will be, particularly in the hellish year of our star savior 2020.

I'm pretty cool with how these past couple weeks have went because we're on the cusp of greatness, but I have to admit even I am getting sick of hearing that good stuff is coming after a summer that continues to be full of Nintendo Presents: Games Not Made By Nintendo.
That's... Fair... I guess it's just different from my perspective because I (hopefully) know a good number of the things that are coming and that knowing makes me strongly believe it's worth the wait, yes, even an entire year of no General Direct.

Firox

Smash Master
Last edited:

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman

Not just Nintendo presents games not made by Nintendo, but Nintendo presents over-hyped shovelware and mediocre ports. I mean, seriously. They probably do have things coming down the pipe that are going to be absolutely incredible. But they couldn't even handle regular updates for games like Mario Maker 2, they had to scramble and make Animal Crossing their big game, and their quality control on the newest Pokémon was questionable at best. And all three of those were pre-covid. Can you imagine what this virus did to them? This is why I think the September 16th meeting with investors is going to be something huge involving restructuring that company. Either because they realize they need to to weather things like this in the future or because they got butt ****ed that bad they're forced to.

Hmmm, 25 reasons to hate him next month? This is pure speculation, but could he be referring to every day that ISN'T the Direct? As in, hinting that the Direct won't be until the 26th or something? Checks calendar Welp, the 26th falls on a Saturday so I'm likely wrong, but it was worth a shot.
I was thinking something along those lines. Or that the direct would only be 25 minutes. If I recall correctly Nintendo has had E3 directs that were lackluster largely because they were short or had about 20 or so minutes devoted to something nobody cared about. Even smash ultimate was pretty much their only game in 2018 and I believe that was a solid 25 minutes itself dedicated to Sakurai explaining the changes to all the characters in more detail than most people probably could care (though I loved it)

Last edited:

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
That's... Fair... I guess it's just different from my perspective because I (hopefully) know a good number of the things that are coming and that knowing makes me strongly believe it's worth the wait, yes, even an entire year of no General Direct.
I also am aware of quite a bit of the stuff that is very likely happening, and to be honest it isn't doing much for me right now. It's just a ****ty situation. I don't think anyone in here would consider waiting for a direct to be an actual problem in their lives and we're all aware that hundreds of thousands of people are dying of a virus, but this is a video game forum and people come on here for fun and/or an escape, and it hasn't been very fun this year with regards to officially shown content. I think it's also valid for people to air their frustrations in here, but many of those frustrations are misdirected. It's Nintendo that is responsible for the bungling of this year so badly with their refusal be even remotely transparent about their first-party plans.

Basically what I'm saying is all your feelings are valid in this thread. This wait ****ing blows. Amazing content IS coming though. And Geno is IN.

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
Ok guys, I've been thinking that Nintendo's plans for announcements for the rest of 2020 are maybe just:

Nintendo Direct Minis - Partner Showcases (No General Directs but just dedicated to Third Party Games and No First Party Games at all)
Nintendo First Parties will all be shadowdropped for the rest of 2020 on Youtube, Twitter, etc (Ex. Paper Mario & Pikmin announcements with releases in 2 months time)
Smash Character DLC will for now on be shown off on Sakurai Presents ??? until things calm down (No Character trailers in directs)

This is pretty much how I feel is Nintendo's pattern right now and how in this August Partner Showcase they did say more Showcases are on the way.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Following up with recent news popping up (like today) putting Nintendo as the richest Company in Japan, here's an insight video from Bloomberg News in regards of what's gotten Nintendo's stock price rolling in such a good rally.

EDIT: Currently, the stock price upon the last market close is worth the equivalent in USD of $542.84 (per share).

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Following up with recent news popping up (like today) putting Nintendo as the richest Company in Japan, here's an insight video from Bloomberg News in regards of what's gotten Nintendo's stock price rolling in such a good rally.

EDIT: Currently, the stock price upon the last market close is worth the equivalent in USD of $542.84 (per share).
So in other words, they're doing fine as of right now.

Firox

Smash Master
I also am aware of quite a bit of the stuff that is very likely happening, and to be honest it isn't doing much for me right now. It's just a ****ty situation. I don't think anyone in here would consider waiting for a direct to be an actual problem in their lives and we're all aware that hundreds of thousands of people are dying of a virus, but this is a video game forum and people come on here for fun and/or an escape, and it hasn't been very fun this year with regards to officially shown content. I think it's also valid for people to air their frustrations in here, but many of those frustrations are misdirected. It's Nintendo that is responsible for the bungling of this year so badly with their refusal be even remotely transparent about their first-party plans.

Basically what I'm saying is all your feelings are valid in this thread. This wait ****ing blows. Amazing content IS coming though. And Geno is IN.
Well said, my dude. A perfect summation of our current thread.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion

View attachment 283543

-2021 will be stacked

O.o 2021 will be stacked with both movies and games I see. My wallet will hate next year for sure

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
Being a Nintendo fan is pretty frustrating right now.
Sony and Microsoft have been transparent about delays of their announcements, and then followed through with making new announcements.

Nintendo keeps having their partners announce titles while being quiet about obvious delays to their plans.
All these big promised titles from supposed insiders that keep being teased as "almost announced" on some date every other week is getting old.

Last edited:

T2by4

Smash Lord
People have been pointing out that there's two online maintenance periods on Monday. It's weird but I don't know if it actually signifies anything. Currently blasting blood into a tube in my arm so I can't research it but I guess it could be something worth looking at.
Perhaps when they said no more nintendo directs this week, they meant it. But the announcement is on Friday for Monday, which is technically next week?

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Happily watching them driiiiiiiiiift away....

Happily waiting, on all on our own, under the endless sky...

Counting the seconds... standing alone... as an entire year goes by...

View attachment 283563
View attachment 283564
View attachment 283565
View attachment 283566
View attachment 283570
Everyone hypes up a big direct only for it to be a mediocre Partner Showcase

That’s right I’ve heard the story over and over again...

It’d be swell to finally get a real direct!

A99D638F-9602-4171-8CF5-BE18B62E461B.png

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Since wild speculation is in anyway here's my thinking:

-The pandemic around spring did in fact push a few major first party Nintendo releases a few months forward with Nintendo playing their cards very close to their chest.

-There were some first party releases not affected (Paper Mario, Pikmin 3) that Nintendo shadow dropped in lieu of doing any sort of Direct with them because they've shuffled their presentation schedule.

-There were third party titles Nintendo had agreements with to promote that they created the Partner Directs for to allow to be showcased on a major platforms like the Twitter Account and YouTube Channel

-(This is admittedly wishful thinking) Nintendo will get back a standard Direct schedule starting next month; essentially resetting their usual pattern of presentations after a very tumultuous six months.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
People have been pointing out that there's two online maintenance periods on Monday. It's weird but I don't know if it actually signifies anything. Currently blasting blood into a tube in my arm so I can't research it but I guess it could be something worth looking at.
Yep, and the next one after that is on the 14th.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Perhaps when they said no more nintendo directs this week, they meant it. But the announcement is on Friday for Monday, which is technically next week?
Just a quick scan of Direct history, there's about a two week gap between Indie Directs and other Directs on average. The last Nindie was on the 18th so two weeks perfectly would be September 1st exactly. Ugh... This is why trying to figure out dates is such a pain in the ass... Yes, they technically could announce something on Friday for Monday since that's what they did with Min Min and the July partner showcase was on a Monday too... It's another one of those "**** around and find out" things I guess...

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Is it safe to say no matter who the next character is it’s guaranteed at this point to be a 3rd party.

you’d think if it was 1st party we would already know who the character is or what series they’re coming from by now but Since we don’t know and it’s been months and nearly a year since the pass was announced character 7 is Basically guaranteed to be from 3rd party and they’re struggling to find the perfect place to announce it.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Is it safe to say no matter who the next character is it’s guaranteed at this point to be a 3rd party.

you’d think if it was 1st party we would already know who the character is or what series they’re coming from by now but Since we don’t know and it’s been months and nearly a year since the pass was announced character 7 is Basically guaranteed to be from 3rd party and they’re struggling to find the perfect place to announce it.
It's Nintendo, if the past YEAR hasn't been any indication its to never underestimate their capacity to disappoint

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom