• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
The March general direct mini says hi
I would 100% put money down that that was a holdover from prior to quarantine. As in they had one planned, quarantine happened, so they cut it up into what they could save and just released it until they figured out what their plan was for the rest of the year.

And to the other naysayers I don't think directs are necessarily dead but people forget Nintendo said this:

“We feel Nintendo Directs are an incredibly effective way to present information directly to our customers in a very straight-forward way,” Furukawa said.

“Inversely, times change and so does the most effective way to promote products, so there is a chance that a new, better way to present this information comes about. So we always like to examine all of the possible ways to communicate this information to customers.”

That's corporate talk for "this isn't working for us right now, so we're going to throw darts at the wall and see what works instead." And that is literally what we have seen this year: shadowdropped announcements on Twitter, random dates for directs with small windows of time between announcement and release, directs focused on just 3rd parties or indies becoming the norm.

There's also this announcement, which sounds near post-apocalyptic from some angles though likely just points to some corporate restructuring for Nintendo:

"Nintendo has told Japanese press and investors it will hold a special management briefing session on Wednesday, September 16.

As reported by David Gibson of Astris Advisory Japan, the unusual meeting will be held in Tokyo, rather than near the company’s headquarters in Kyoto, just a few weeks after the release of its most recent financial results.

The briefing session will contain no new information on products or services, Nintendo has reportedly told those invited, and is therefore likely to be related to some form of internal restructuring or development at the company."

Nintendo got completely blown out by Covid and they are too proud to admit it. They still are run by an old Japanese business model which serves its employees well, but doesn't do much for consumer outreach. They are slow to adapt, and this was like throwing molasses onto their already snail-paced treadmill.

We will probably get a Direct in September because all signs, including and largely OFFICIAL ones, point to that. We are going to get another Smash reveal because Sakurai's team reported they were on schedule and that would mean one more character for the fall. But I am still sitting here wondering wtf is going on over there at Nintendo HQ. This is getting to be embarrassing.

Sources:

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
When do the amiibos release? Although it will probably call apart, it will be nice for amiibo theory to give us some idea of the release or reveal
25th September in Japan and Europe.
2nd October in the US.

I'd imagine character #7 would (hopefully) get revealed and released before then.

The weeks commencing the 7th and 14th seem like a reasonable time, to me.

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
Feel like if we’re getting anything Friday they’re just going to shadow announce Mario 35. I don’t think it’s a direct.
Tbh, I wouldn't be suprised. But I worried, why Nintendo prefer to make Directs and Presentations for other games while they just shadowdropp their own games a random day on Twitter?

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
This isn't like the last Partner Showcase because people were specifically told July 20th and something happened and, before that, people were told March 26tn and then something happened there too. If people were told August 28th, wouldn't it make sense to wait until the 28th to see if anything actually happens? If people were told the 28th and something else happens two days earlier, that's a bit weird given what we've already seen this year. Being wrong about content is one thing but being wrong about content AND a date is a considerable frying of wires. In other words, that's a sizable **** up and I want to see if anyone comes forward with an explanation or something actually happens on Friday.
Normally I'd be 100% with you on this, but in both those cases the insiders in question stuck to their guns against all the odds and were vindicated, this time they've jumped ship before the announcement date has even come.

It makes me think that this was another case of hearing things and then presenting their thoughts on it as fact a la Ryu H. rather than the straight information relay we got last time. Now I'll still be holding on to my day off because anything could happen but at this point I think it's more realistic to see Friday as a nice surprise rather than an expectation.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Sooooo we're pretty much getting nothing then....

♪ "Wake me up when September ends..."♫

PS. To all the people that accused me of being a blind pessimist, all I have to say is I TOLD YOU SO. Nintendo continues their pattern of being a hype-killing **** show. This isn't pessimism. This is precedent which they continue to support. Sorry, I honestly wish it weren't true, but it is. At least the good news is that, statistically, Nintendo has to stop sucking eventually. Someday, we'll get a Smash reveal. Someday....
You told us what? You told us nothing but negatively biased statements, and you just so happened to be right. Does that mean your mindset is correct?

No, it just meant you were right that the big Direct didn't come this week. Big deal. I'm already over it, most of us will be over it by Monday at the latest.

Your attitude is not only holier-than-thou but trying to justify looking at thing in a pessimistic view constantly just because Nintendo continues to reveal things in small burst afters a ****ING global pandemic is absurd. I'd rather get excited and be wrong than constantly be a papercut on my lip and be right occasionally like you have been.

Imagine thinking that going through life always expecting the worst to happen and being down and depressed the majority of the time rather than being more optimistic the majority of the time and only being very briefly let down is the way to live your whole life. Now imagine thinking this is the superior way and that everyone should do that and that those who don't you are better than them enough to look down on them.

Get over it man.
HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa!
Ah yes, very constructive. Can a mod mark this as spam or trolling/flaming? Feels like this qualifies more than any of my posts where I sassily talk about things.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Again, FP7 is basically all but guaranteed for September. We don't have too much longer left to wait if the amiibo wave towards the end of the month is anything to go by

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I am severely disappointed in Nintendo right now; not just for the Partners thing, but possibly for leakbaiting insiders, if I am not mistaken.

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
I am severely disappointed in Nintendo right now; not just for the Partners thing, but possibly for leakbaiting insiders, if I am not mistaken.
I wouldn't say they leakbaited. I think it was that insiders get information in a piecemeal fashion, but aren't sure what happens with it so they either A) keep it to themselves, B) reveal just what they know, or C) speculate. Most gravitate towards C, as we saw here. And they were all wrong, and this time are admitting it (as they should) and course correcting.

Nintendo, if anything, is being pretty clandestine. Again: wtf is going on over there?!

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I wouldn't say they leakbaited. I think it was that insiders get information in a piecemeal fashion, but aren't sure what happens with it so they either A) keep it to themselves, B) reveal just what they know, or C) speculate. Most gravitate towards C, as we saw here. And they were all wrong, and this time are admitting it (as they should) and course correcting.

Nintendo, if anything, is being pretty clandestine. Again: wtf is going on over there?!
Hence, why I said “If I am not mistaken”. Still, what’s with Nintendo? Who even wanted a Partners Direct?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I imagine the partners aren't exactly happy with the negative reception towards these.
Well, I believe someone said Nintendotold third parties to not expect anything they had to show for a Direct until September. Maybe a Direct is coming then, and they are doing this Partners series to make up for the third party thing?

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
download (5).jpeg

Alright guys, even if nothing happens this Friday, let's recap what all has happened this summer, shall we?

-Pretty much every major insider that covers Nintendo stuff has mentioned Geno in some capacity.

-The GameStop **** up.

-"Spirits deconfirm" BTFO.

-Two unique Square spirit events.

-Paper Mario arguably out of the running

-Square still super heavily supporting the Switch.

-Hero Amiibo coming in September along with Cloud and Mario character rereleases.

-Trials of Mana apparently crushing sales expectations.

-September will infact be a blow out for Super Mario 35th anniversary ****.

-SMRPG still missing from the NSO, making it one of two major SNES first party franchise games still missing.

-5 of Mii Costume Guy's predicted costumes got new releases tied to them over the summer.

The mountain was high at the beginning of the summer, now it's even higher. Coincidentally, we're also rapidly approaching the one year anniversary of when I predicted Geno would be 7 and 77 so the Dunk of the Decade ™ has merely been postponed... Again. Also, thanks to averages we figured out this summer, character releases and Amiibo waves average about 11 days apart meaning the sweet spot for 7's release has always been around September 14th. Whatever... Two weeks tops... We ****in' got this if Friday winds up being a "Wow, it's ****in' Nothing" Friday.

Last edited:

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
We've already had, wow it's f$^#^n nothing wednesday. Maybe something next week. Not this friday though.

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
Hence, why I said “If I am not mistaken”. Still, what’s with Nintendo? Who even wanted a Partners Direct?
Valid. Missed that part, dude :p

View attachment 283532

Alright guys, even if nothing happens this Friday, let's recap what all has happened this summer, shall we?

-Pretty much every major insider that covers Nintendo stuff has mentioned Geno in some capacity.

-The GameStop **** up.

-Hero Amiibo coming in September along with Cloud and Mario character rereleases.

-SMRPG still missing from the NSO, making it one of two major SNES first party franchise games still missing.

The mountain was high at the beginning of the summer, now it's even higher. Coincidentally, we're also rapidly approaching the one year anniversary of when I predicted Geno would be 7 and 77 so the Dunk of the Decade ™ has merely been postponed... Again. Also, thanks to averages we figured out this summer, character releases and Amiibo waves average about 11 days apart meaning the sweet spot for 7's release has always been around September 14th. Whatever... Two weeks tops... We ****in' got this if Friday winds up being a "Wow, it's ****in' Nothing" Friday.
All of these are points for Geno and I don't think anyone is doubting that. It's about the Direct. We Nintendo fanboys are a bitter, unforgiving crowd. I wouldn't be shocked at this point if we JUST get a Smash reveal and the rumored Mario game as a back-to-back direct deal for September AND THAT'S IT.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I’m thinking Friday something could still be happening but I pointed out a while back I think that the big Direct is September. I don’t know when I’m September but Nintendo always has a big September and this one will probably focus on next years games.

CP7 will probably be announced then. We just gotta wait it out.

Last edited:

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
So, that explains the jump of number pages here. There's a Partner Showcase announced. That's fine, I guess. But again, seems like there's nothing like it was speculated. WHAT A SHOCK.

Oh well. At this point, I'm just waiting for an out of nowhere announcement by Nintendo for any game or Direct on their Twitter and see what happens.

I still feel that September might be the right time to see if we get a direct or a 'Mr Sakurai Presents' or a regular direct finally. But Nintendo could very well put out many partner showcases like it has been doing recently...so, who knows.

At this point, let's just wait. Just wait.

BTW, will the showcase be 10 minute long like the previous ones, or will be slightly longer?

:bowser: .

Last edited:

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
View attachment 283532BTW, will the showcase be 10 minute long like the previous ones, or will be slightly longer?
Do you mean 10 min for Sakurai Presents? Or are you talking the Partner's Showcase? Those both were ~10m, but Sakurai can go anywhere from 20-40m so who knows. I imagine with Geno it won't be a monster one; I bet he'll give a spiel on Mario RPG, but it'll be like Banjo where he whips through it quickly and just gets to the other bits. I know we all love Geno to bits, but I don't see Sakurai conceivably going on for more than ~25m if he does the usual intro, background, moveset overview, stage overview, and mii costumes. 25 minutes would even give time for a spirit board and exhibition match, I suspect. Sorry, but I don't think we're going to get this insane love letter. Just like with Banjo, I think he and the team knew they just needed to get to the gameplay quickly and not dawdle on a part of the video that most viewers would skip by (sorry!). SNK is the exception because, well, it really was a history lesson that covered more than one game most people are at least somewhat familiar with, even through osmosis.

Firox

Smash Master
You told us what? You told us nothing but negatively biased statements, and you just so happened to be right.
I said not to expect anything amazing without reliable evidence. That's not negatively biased. It's called the truth. Sucks for you to be wrong, doesn't it?
Does that mean your mindset is correct?
LOL. Yes. Yes, it does. More so than your sad attempts at blind optimism.
Your attitude is not only holier-than-thou but trying to justify looking at thing in a pessimistic view constantly just because Nintendo continues to reveal things in small burst afters a ****ING global pandemic is absurd. I'd rather get excited and be wrong than constantly be a papercut on my lip and be right occasionally like you have been.
So I'm being accused of a "holier-than-thou" attitude by literally one of the most condescending posters on Smashboards? ROFL Classic. For the record, I never intended to holier than anyone. All I did was point out the PRECEDENT of Nintendo sucking nuts when it came to generating hype which continues to prove true. I'm never tried to assert WHY they were anti-hype, despite your constant harping about COVID. I just pointed out that there was no reason to get over-excited without reliable cause.
Imagine thinking that going through life always expecting the worst to happen and being down and depressed the majority of the time rather than being more optimistic the majority of the time and only being very briefly let down is the way to live your whole life. Now imagine thinking this is the superior way and that everyone should do that and that those who don't you are better than them enough to look down on them.
You might want to calm down and stop taking yourself so seriously. Look at how many false arguments you inserted in a single paragraph. You assume:

1) That I always expect the worst to happen in life
2) That by expecting the worst that I'm depressed the majority of the time
3) That I'm somehow trying to impose a mindset of blind pessimism (meaning pessimism without reasonable cause) on everyone
4) By somehow doing so, I'm being some kind of elitist

Allow me to set the record straight:

1) I don't, nor have I ever, declared that we will always get a worst case scenario for ANYTHING
2) Since point #1 is totally false, so is this
3) I never tried to push my beliefs on anyone here. All I literally did was ask for some solid evidence that something awesome was actually going to come, barring a bunch of baseless "insider" rumors (which you and Fatman never did)
4) Using logic to establish my perceptions of the future is not inherently pessimistic. Being a contradictory voice also doesn't automatically constitute pessimism OR contrarianism either. I simply disagreed with baseless hype. Never, even in my diction, did I assert any superiority for these beliefs. Please try to not take differing views so personally. They're not intended to be.

MattX20

Smash Hero
View attachment 283532

-The GameStop **** up.

-5 of Mii Costume Guy's predicted costumes got new releases tied to them over the summer.

This so damn much. There's so much in our favor right now that it's ridiculous there's much skepticism left

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
At this point I want them to get to a whole year before the next general direct.

****’s hilarious.
Might as well at this point... Also, despite how some of you feel about him, Markomaro was right about today and he's currently claiming the 9th or 10th for the actual Direct. Fits in Grubb's extended parameters and falls on the first full week of September so why the **** not? As I've been saying since June: start stockpiling memes, make videos if you can, get your recording equipment out of storage, because whenever this thing finally happens it will definitely be worth it.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
At this point I want them to get to a whole year before the next general direct.

****’s hilarious.
Assuming we're still sticking to the Thursday schedule, this year's 4th being on a Friday means we might just be one day short of a year between the general directs, which is arguably even better in that regard.

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
Might as well at this point... Also, despite how some of you feel about him, Markomaro was right about today and he's currently claiming the 9th or 10th for the actual Direct. Fits in Grubb's extended parameters and falls on the first full week of September so why the **** not? As I've been saying since June: start stockpiling memes, make videos of you can, get your recording equipment out of storage, because whenever this thing finally happens it will definitely be worth it.
And who or what is a Markomaro?

Noipoi

Howdy!
Personally I’m not even that bothered. They’ve gotta have something before mid September, which isn’t even that long from now. If you’re good at wasting days away (like I am) it’ll be here before you know it.

On the other hand though, I’m gettin kinda sick of waiting. I’ve literally been waiting for a general direct since January. Oh well, it is what it is.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I’m thinking Friday something could still be happening but I pointed out a while back I think that the big Direct is September. I don’t know when I’m September but Nintendo always has a big September and this one will probably focus on next years games.

CP7 will probably be announced then. We just gotta wait it out.
Wait, I think I've seen this episode synopsis before. I think the episode ends with the line 'So guys, it's September 29th. Think Nintendo might announce a big Direct for October?'

Its possible there's a Direct in September, but I'm doubting it due to Nintendo's horrendous marketing this year.

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
It's funny how many times we have been told "something is happening", only for something to happen -- even if it isn't the thing we want -- and then people punch down at folks who were saying that they believe insider information that something was coming.

I've seen enough to know that, if people start talking, then something is on the way, even if it's small, or indie, or partner, or mayhaps one day a General. But so far, all I've seen is people being incorrect about the contents, but never incorrect about the dates of the things that've come to light, which cannot be easy to do so frequently.

I'm just saying, maybe some individuals should stop acting so high-n-mighty towards those of us who feel comfortable enough in believing some of these people due to a rather consistent track record.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Personally I’m not even that bothered. They’ve gotta have something before mid September, which isn’t even that long from now. If you’re good at wasting days away (like I am) it’ll be here before you know it.

On the other hand though, I’m gettin kinda sick of waiting. I’ve literally been waiting for a general direct since January. Oh well, it is what it is.
We're all getting tired of the silence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom