• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ado anon

Smash Rookie
Every day Geno isn't put in Smash Bros, my heart breaks a little more. Every time I see haters call him names and attack his loyal fans, I can't help but shed a few tears. I've played SMRPG several times since I was young. I've always silently supported Geno. Super Mario RPG feels like it really is the game just for me. The graphics, the art style, the characters, the designs, the gameplay, the sound effects, and the music... Oh goodness the music. And on top of it all, my hero, Geno. I've written story after story about Geno coming back to go on new adventures with Mario (most of them lost from old school binders), adventures with Peach, adventures in Wario Land, and even a few stories of Geno in my top favorite world, Pop Star, making friends with Kirby and saving them from the anti-wish demon.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
It’s funny in hindsight how absolutely hyped I was last night, wow.

But if this really is the chopped up remains of the E3 direct, set to be released on a weekly (or monthly?) basis, then maybe we’ll get some cool stuff soon? Maybe? Possibly? Please?
Let's say that this is all indeed a part of E3 and that these mini Directs will give bit size bits of it spread out over time. A fair enough plan, sure.

Here's what I think the issue people have. Nintendo has been pointlessly quiet this year and getting information out of them as been hard (and looks bad compared to Sony and Microsoft willing to be vocal and advertise their product). This is the third 'event' they have done this year (March mini Direct, Treehouse, July Micro Direct), which have all been smaller sources of information than usual. Their last true Direct was last September. They skipped out of the VGAs despite Joker's reveal last year.

People would like information on the big stuff, the mainline games. So they are getting frustrated that Nintendo seems to be avoiding them. They are annoyed with how Nintendo is prioritizing what they have and not using these opportunities to the best attempt. When you have people's attention and feel that Bakugan needs a spotlight discussion, while being quiet on the majority of your catalog, people start thinking that Nintendo doesn't have anything. People would like reassurance, and will (begrudgingly) accept a delay due to the circumstances; they just want to be notified. From what I read, Ocarina of Time was delayed MANY times, but they still released news here and there, not going on radio silence.

IF the mini Directs are just E3 segments and assuming that Nintendo isn't running on empty this year, then they should have done this micro Direct with a bigger name. Here's a 4 minute update on BotW2, see you next week. Or, Mario Maker DLC overview. Maybe a trade of NMH3. Something to assure fans that things are still there. If today's micro Direct followed an example above, I feel it would have been better received. It would compliment and add on to their catalog, not appear that this is all they got.

Basically, if you have people renovate your house and they were being quiet, you'd ask for an update. You would get annoyed if they focused on comparably minor things like the bathroom sink model, kitchen tile or bedroom fan fixture instead of telling you the status on the new roof, foundation issues or heating set-up.

Nintendo is seeing a man dying of thirst in front of them and offers them an orange. Yes, its something, but clearly not what NEEDS to be offered.

Last edited:

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
It's fine if Nintendo actually doesn't have much to show this year. It's just the lack of transparency that's murder. At least tell us things have been delayed if it happened, which I'm about 90% sure is now the case, instead of instilling a false hope in us for all these months.

And if they have games for 2020, how about they, you know, market them.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Not to doubt you, but what makes you think it won’t be some new episode of the partner Mini-Direct thing?
But that's what I'm alluding to. If Nintendo is switching over to this episodic format, this implies that these are the two days most likely to have a Smash announcement if we follow this rule of averages to a T. I'm not off work yet but I will look into the gaps between major online maintenance and Smash announcements/releases.

Droodle

Smash Lord
The time gap between Paper Mario's announcement and release was 64 days. This was about 9 weeks or slightly more than 2 months. The gap between Min Min's original planned Amiibo wave and changed Amiibo wave was 56. Both are pretty close to the general "Ideal DLC gap" that we've seen in the past, averaging about two to two and a half months: February, April, June/July, September, November, December. Now, let's use this calendar calculator to determine something:

https://www.timeanddate.com/date/dateadded.html?m1=09&d1=25&y1=2020&type=sub&ay=&am=&aw=&ad=60&rec=

60 days before September 25th, the Japanese release of Joker and Hero is exactly July 27th. Not exactly rocket science but if we change this date to October 2nd, the new date becomes August 3rd. Coincidentally, both days are having Online Maintenance.
Yeah, I'm thinking these new showcases will be biweekly for the next bit. They implied this is a "series", so I'm going to guess 3 in total? I still think they'd be entirely 3rd party though.

They skipped some games which in all honestly should have been shown off. The big ones that weren't shown off were Bravely Default 2, and No More Heroes 3 (and also DOOM Eternal port); on Nintendo's site it's practically implied that BD 2 is the next "big" game in the release schedule, so I'm guessing there might be a "partner" showcase that has a heavy emphasis on BD 2, perhaps even entirely focused on it. And then they can showcase games like NMH 3 coming in a late August "partner showcase".

I expect in mid-late September we'll probably end up getting a "proper" direct, and Nate/Zell pretty much implied they had heard of a direct coming late in Summer before the July direct rumor caught on. They thought a good chunk of the games from that direct would have been revealed in this direct, but they didn't know how little this direct would actually show because in all honesty outside of SMT, this felt more like something they could have just randomly dropped in the last couple of weeks.

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
Guys i saw this and I think that was funny: https://twitter.com/Rattiom32/status/1285215265677103105?s=20
Pd: The Tinfoll Theory Fatmanonice Fatmanonice just post is interesenting
Every day Geno isn't put in Smash Bros, my heart breaks a little more. Every time I see haters call him names and attack his loyal fans, I can't help but shed a few tears. I've played SMRPG several times since I was young. I've always silently supported Geno. Super Mario RPG feels like it really is the game just for me. The graphics, the art style, the characters, the designs, the gameplay, the sound effects, and the music... Oh goodness the music. And on top of it all, my hero, Geno. I've written story after story about Geno coming back to go on new adventures with Mario (most of them lost from old school binders), adventures with Peach, adventures in Wario Land, and even a few stories of Geno in my top favorite world, Pop Star, making friends with Kirby and saving them from the anti-wish demon.
Dude, whta a good story. Let's hope that all the dreams turn to be a reality soon

Ado anon

Smash Rookie
I was devastated to see Geno wasn't announced to day. Even more devastated to see people celebrating the frustration and heartache of innocent Geno supporters. Though I weep for our star warrior, as if my sadness and my hope can keep us together and bring Geno down to us, alas, my tears can not grant this wish. I got on my knees and I prayed... I prayed to Geno. Sometimes when I'm really good, he answers me. He wants to be in Smash Bros more than anything. He wants to do it for YOU. Because he loves YOU. But today is a very serious day. I prayed to Geno's higher authority. Our higher authority. The Highest authority... Our Lord, the Almighty God. I begged and pleaded for hours to defend and protect Geno and his supporters. I wept tears and hoped as I begged Him to please let Geno be in Smash Bros. He is God's purest and most loyal angel, he deserves the love and support of people the world over... And Geno's supporters are blessed. Geno will be in. Be patient my dear, sweet, kind friends. Geno will one day make his return. And on the day, we will all be saved.

Noipoi

Howdy!
The time gap between Paper Mario's announcement and release was 64 days. This was about 9 weeks or slightly more than 2 months. The gap between Min Min's original planned Amiibo wave and changed Amiibo wave was 56. Both are pretty close to the general "Ideal DLC gap" that we've seen in the past, averaging about two to two and a half months: February, April, June/July, September, November, December. Now, let's use this calendar calculator to determine something:

https://www.timeanddate.com/date/dateadded.html?m1=09&d1=25&y1=2020&type=sub&ay=&am=&aw=&ad=60&rec=

60 days before September 25th, the Japanese release of Joker and Hero is exactly July 27th. Not exactly rocket science but if we change this date to October 2nd, the new date becomes August 3rd. Coincidentally, both days are having Online Maintenance.
So if the time gap between Paper Mario’s reveal and release was 64 days, the time gap between Geno’s reveal and release will clearly be SNES days.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
So if the time gap between Paper Mario’s reveal and release was 64 days, the time gap between Geno’s reveal and release will clearly be SNES days.
...That would be funny if it was actually 32 days. Probably just a coincidence, but a pretty neat one.

Now to make sure all NES characters get released in 4 days from their reveal. :p

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
No disrespect to anyone, but I find it very surprising people still want Geno in an era we get 3rd party fighters like Joker in smash.

He seems a bit of a relic of a bygone era. Don't want to say irrelevant as that's harsh, but he is someone younger fans certainly wouldn't know.
What a unique take no one here has heard, I'm sure.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
No disrespect to anyone, but I find it very surprising people still want Geno in an era we get 3rd party fighters like Joker in smash.

He seems a bit of a relic of a bygone era. Don't want to say irrelevant as that's harsh, but he is someone younger fans certainly wouldn't know.
sorry to break the news to ya fella but Geno is also 3rd party

T2by4

Smash Lord
DISCLAIMER: I'm bringing this up to DISPEL the doom and gloom some of you may get from discovering these tweets on your own.
NateDrake's been talking on Twitter and responding to people, and this one caught my eye:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

This does NOT mean "GENO ISN'T IN OMG SKY IS FALLING!", it just means Nate wasn't privy to that info, because it's under some crazy security. This is 100% neutral to Geno's chances. Don't lose hope, he's still in.
Asked them a follow up question regarding if they heard anyone at all. Will update ya'll if I get anything back.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Question,
If SMRPG was announced to be re-released and had extra content - not a remaster or a remake, the original game with extra content in the same style of the original game - what would come and/or what would you like to see?

I feel like, given how much it was in the marketing, Yoshi was intended to be a party member and cut, so I can see him coming back as one under those circumstances. Maybe even Boshi instead. As for anything else, idk this isn’t my area of expertise as someone who’s never actually played SMRPG. That’s why I hand the question off to you guys!

Ado anon

Smash Rookie
Question,
If SMRPG was announced to be re-released and had extra content - not a remaster or a remake, the original game with extra content in the same style of the original game - what would come and/or what would you like to see?

I feel like, given how much it was in the marketing, Yoshi was intended to be a party member and cut, so I can see him coming back as one under those circumstances. Maybe even Boshi instead. As for anything else, idk this isn’t my area of expertise as someone who’s never actually played SMRPG. That’s why I hand the question off to you guys!
I've thought about this a lot. Personally my most-wanted things would be new side stories. Particularly, one with Jonathan Jones. Give him his own treasure to find, his own enemies, and a need for Mario to help. Captain Syrup could also be his rival. Go to a new island with new towns and dungeons, and recruit Jonathan Jones as a new party member. And I want a post-game quest after the ending, set years later, with a new villain. Geno comes back down from the Heavens to help Mario save the world. We check in on Prince Mallow and see how he's been liking his new royal family life, and we recruit him again. The world is the same, but things are remixed, new characters and enemies are everywhere, new minigames to play, sort of like a Link Between Worlds for SMRPG, on a smaller scale. Or like Dragon Quest postgame.
Edit: I also had this idea of Booster Tower getting taken over by people Bowser, who is converting it into a rocket ship. So first Mario and the party are trying to help Booster take it back, then the tower is turned into a spaceship and crashes into another planet. So Mario, Geno, Mallow, and Peach, with Bowser, Booster, nd Valentina joining them too, explore the alien world and help look for a way to get back home. However they found out the inhabitants of this world are enslaved by a galactic monster. It would be great if the character artist for Moon Remix RPG could return to develop more character designs!

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I can't believe i have any hope left in me, but that aside about cadence of Hyrule from fatman gives me a sliver of a chance we may see skull kid yet. Probably just reading into it

7NATOR

Smash Master
I can't believe i have any hope left in me, but that aside about cadence of Hyrule from fatman gives me a sliver of a chance we may see skull kid yet. Probably just reading into it
Like i say, If they decide to do a Assist Trophy Guessing Game, the Skull Kid fans are gonna have some extra evidence to back them up. Kinda hope they do a guessing game cause im ready to go to war

pinshadow

Smash Lord
It's not about Skull Kid, he even said later what he was refering to.
Not to mention that Cadence getting a massive DLC dump a year later is really impressive too. I'm fuming right now and could bite a telephone pole in half but I'll STILL say you lovely and understanding MFs should be optimistic about the future and I'll say why:

-SMT was vaporware for 3 1/2 years. Kelios flat out called this "filler." That should give you an idea of stuff that's in the pipeline.

-SMT on the NSO really was a hint about the future and should make us consider other things.

Now for two big things:

-3 of 4 of Mii Costume Guy's secret Mii costumes have now had summer announcements or leaks tied to them as of today.

-Cadence of Hyrule was just the beginning of Nintendo indie projects. There's more on the way. From my own sources, at least four, all different Nintendo IPs, and two have a decent chance of showing up by the end of the summer, especially with Cadence DLC being "filler" according to Kelios.

I'm wildly annoyed but, even then, I'd say we're on track for good things in the near future.

Last edited:

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman

I personally don't really think it matters too much to be honest if younger fans don't know who Geno is. Older characters like Terry, Banjo, and Krool managed to make it in even if they probably weren't targeted towards a young demographic. I think if a character can add something to the game in a fun way, then I feel people will be drawn to it anyways, regardless of age. Plus with the internet existing, I think there's a good chance some younger people will hear about him especially since he's tied to Mario. I have a younger brother, and all his friends that are into Smash know who Geno is and are very supportive of his inclusion. He isn't mainstream, but I don't think it's too much a barrier for him

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Glad I left my phone to charge and didn't look into the thread for a bit.

I get Nintendo is being weird right now, by why are users resorting to hypocrisy by generalizing people and so on? Why must people play the blame game all of the time? Fire Emblem isn't the boogeyman, Persona isn't the boogeyman, Pokémon isn't the boogeyman, etc. I've seen how the Geno fanbase is marginalized and put into stereotypical boxes. I know how much you guys hate it. Any fanbase does. So why on God's green Earth must people point fingers becoming tribalistic and ultimately giving in to the stereotype they're trying to avoid?

I know I literally just posted in here about how we don't need to be "parented", by my God, why do people in this thread have to be like "SORA is the enemy! He'll stand in the way of Geno!" Or whatever character you want. I've seen Waluigi, Paper Mario, any Square Enix character, Fire Emblem, Persona, etc. tossed around many times in this thread alone. Can people please leave behind these unfunny memes of "Fire Emblem bad" or "Persona bad" or whatever? Fire Emblem is overrepresented, yes. BUT, Smash fans hating on Fire Emblem games and the larger community at large for its Smash representation is just idiotic, black and white, and short-sighted.

Before anyone says it, yes, I am aware competition exists. If it didn't, then every character ever would get into Smash. Some characters do have more of a chance and some characters do have direct competition (such as with Min Min and the other ARMS characters), but is it really necessary to treat other characters or fanbases as the enemy?

Seriously, Smash fans are made fun of because they stereotypically go after "aNiMe" artsyles like Fire Emblem. I'm not saying you can't dislike the style, but pointing to fanbases, saying they're the problem and "toxic", and then not even taking responsibility for your words is just childish. Maybe, just maybe... if you are doing that, perhaps you are the problem for perpetuating stereotypes. Geno fans hate being generalized, so maybe some users should avoid doing that with other franchises/characters because then that just makes the entire Geno fanbase look bad (since for people, a particularly rotten apple can ruin the bunch).

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Currently compiling the latest online maintenance updates to their respective DLC characters:

Plant: January 27th

Joker: April 14th

Hero: July 28th

Banjo: September 1st

Terry: November 11th

Byleth: January 19th

Min Min: June 29th

Very notably, online maintenance kicks off on Mondays and the week before notable presentations usually has something adjusting the parental controls. Most of the maintenance before Directs appears to be general while those shortly before DLC character releases tend to be about the e-shop and using credit cards.

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
But that's what I'm alluding to. If Nintendo is switching over to this episodic format, this implies that these are the two days most likely to have a Smash announcement if we follow this rule of averages to a T. I'm not off work yet but I will look into the gaps between major online maintenance and Smash announcements/releases.
Remember how E3 is supposed to have 2 reveals? Yeah, I think they will splice that as well... They should just make one presentation, honestly, but oh well...

Last edited:

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord

Younger fans likely don’t know half the cast. In fact, a lot of the newcomers in previous games had been dead characters or ones the general population didn’t know, and getting added to smash revitalized them and their franchise.

Did you also know that people can grow to like a character after they get added to smash and that not everyone looks for “omg i know that guy from the Let’s Play I watched!” when supporting newcomers? It’s okay to acknowledge that video games existed before the span of younger fans lifetimes and believe me, there are PLENTY of gaming icons already in.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
So, what makes you think there is probably going to be a Smash announcement on an Nintendo partners episode of a video?

MattX20

Smash Hero
Currently compiling the latest online maintenance updates to their respective DLC characters:

Plant: January 27th

Joker: April 14th

Hero: July 28th

Banjo: September 1st

Terry: November 11th

Byleth: January 19th

Min Min: June 29th

Very notably, online maintenance kicks off on Mondays and the week before notable presentations usually has something adjusting the parental controls. Most of the maintenance before Directs appears to be general while those shortly before DLC character releases tend to be about the e-shop and using credit cards.
So, if this logic holds up, that means

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Just noticed, Nintendo's first quarter earnings report goes out on August 6th. Do we really expect them to release earnings and then tell investors that their upcoming game line-up is this?
200507_3e.pdf(2).png

Where the only games even dated for 2020 are two niche remakes of NES Visual Novels that are only coming out in Japan, and an RPG that they aren't even developing and only publishing outside of Japan?

Last edited:

"LC"_Lapen

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 6950 2675 8190
So, how is everyone holding out here? Is everyone good now because it seems a lil bit more calmer now. Now all we gotta do is wait for the next mini direct
Never better, well video game-related wise anyhow. Learned long ago not to expect anything and not to count my chickens before they've hatched, to be very zen about game announcements in general and especially about Smash related things. I only really dip in to see how the rumor mill's a-churning to keep up with current conversation, but never to have it color my expectations for what should happen or what we think will happen. Gotta say it's liberating to just play what I've got and in dry spells like this, to go back and work on my back catalog. Geno in Smash would be wonderful, but whether or not I pay attention while his fate remains in limbo has no effect on those odds, I've found. So, I play. And I wait. And for me, at least, it's worked out quite well.

For instance, ignored this whole Direct debacle and finally played and beat The Wonderful 101. Holy shniekies what a great game, was a wild ride from start to finish and it deserves the cult praise it garners 101%. Definitely better time spent than fretting over elements outside of my control.

(Seriously, if you haven't played The Wonderful 101 and it looks like your jam, go out and get it. It's a gem)

D

Deleted member

It would make sense if Nintendo just took their E3 content and split it up into multiple different parts, even though I think the majority of people would rather just have one full direct than potentially 3 or 4 10 minute ones.

Nintendo said that the direct today was "the July 2020 partner showcase," implying we won't get another partner showcase in July. However, if the maintenance taking place on July 27th and August 3rd lines up with Kelios saying that there will be another Nintendo direct mini, this time for first-party announcements, I could see the first party mini direct taking place next Monday and another partners showcase taking place August 3rd.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I haven't read anything in this thread yet regarding today's direct but I just want to say one thing: It's 100% fine to feel however you do about the Direct, and don't let anyone else try to sway your opinion or make you feel wrong about it.

I say this because I see more people trying to take the holier-than-thou moral high-ground instead of actually discussing the Direct's content. "You were disappointed today? Well, haha, you must be very immature and entitled for your age. I swear Nintendo fans are so toxic, that's why nobody likes them LOOOOLLLLL."

Like chill.

QQS

Smash Lord
Well now for sure the next Direct will be a general one of 35 to 45 min. It will have plenty of good stuff like Smash DLC (#7 and #8), Breath sequel, Mario Collection and probably even DK or Metroid stuff. That’s what I’m looking for, but of course many new stuff also.

GENO STAR FALLS!

vivala

Smash Journeyman
Well now for sure the next Direct will be a general one of 35 to 45 min. It will have plenty of good stuff like Smash DLC (#7 and #8), Breath sequel, Mario Collection and probably even DK or Metroid stuff. That’s what I’m looking for, but of course many new stuff also.

GENO STAR FALLS!
Is that "for sure" as in we have something rumored or as in that's just what makes sense? I'm fine either way, just trying to set my expectations.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Just saw a speculation/discussion video that Spawnwave had with Rogersbase, Scott the Wize and Nate The Hate, and they pretty much believe that the holiday for Nintendo is going to be the Mario ports, holiday push for animal crossing a the Pokemon DLC, and then they go all-in in February next year suspecting that COVID has hurt them more then what they want to admit.

Edit - they have Bravely Default and Pikmin 3 on their prediction

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJpyJZjngbs

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom