• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Well now for sure the next Direct will be a general one of 35 to 45 min. It will have plenty of good stuff like Smash DLC (#7 and #8), Breath sequel, Mario Collection and probably even DK or Metroid stuff. That’s what I’m looking for, but of course many new stuff also.

GENO STAR FALLS!
Or we can be rational and realize that if Nintendo is going to continue holding these partner events for the next few months, it means we flat out aren't getting a normal direct for a long time? We'll still get first-party reveals in some form or another, but the fact they seem to be committing to this new "Partner Showcase" format really implies that.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Two more things I also want to say:

1. I hope regular Directs aren't gone for good, I don't care for this 'mini' stuff if it's going to be a long-term series. Directs are supposed to be super hype, everyone prepares themselves for 40 minutes where anything can happen. They're big events for us that may be ruined depending on how this goes.

2. I hope those Mario remasters weren't just a rumor after all, I'd love to play 64 and Sunshine on my Switch. Those being announced would more than make up for this year's lack of content for me.
Speaking of which, has there been any updates on the whole Mario remasters? Or is it anyone's guess if it's actually real? I wonder if any leakers have heard anything recently.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Two more things I also want to say:

1. I hope regular Directs aren't gone for good, I don't care for this 'mini' stuff if it's going to be a long-term series. Directs are supposed to be super hype, everyone prepares themselves for 40 minutes where anything can happen. They're big events for us that may be ruined depending on how this goes.

2. I hope those Mario remasters weren't just a rumor after all, I'd love to play 64 and Sunshine on my Switch. Those being announced would more than make up for this year's lack of content for me.
Speaking of which, has there been any updates on the whole Mario remasters? Or is it anyone's guess if it's actually real? I wonder if any leakers have heard anything recently.
The Mario remasters seem entirely real based on how hard basically everyone has been committed to the rumor for like 4 months at this point. The consensus seems to be they think they're going to be released around the anniversary in September like Mario Maker was but that carries the question of when it's getting announced, which is part of the reason so many of them are confused by Nintendo today.

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
I feel like this format of spacing out announcements over multiple, shorter presentations is a really bad marketing decision. No matter what was shown today, there would be backlash considering our last major update was in March. With the shorter videos, it really makes the outlook for the future seem barren. Eight minutes with only four announcements? Not exactly a confidence boost.

I get that there may be internal reasons to rethink the ideal way of communicating with the consumer base, but this was a really big misstep for Nintendo. I’m sure there’s more coming in the near future (including Smash news), but presentations like these are meager attempts for news. All in all, I think that Direcfs are all the more ideal if this is the alternative. There’s no reason they couldn’t have put all this stuff in a larger presentation. Plus, I’m betting there will be more leaks now since there’s a series of presentations, instead of a few per year. Can’t say I’m surprised, but it still baffles me to try and understand the decision making process here.

Last edited:

Musubi

Smash Apprentice
Question,
If SMRPG was announced to be re-released and had extra content - not a remaster or a remake, the original game with extra content in the same style of the original game - what would come and/or what would you like to see?

I feel like, given how much it was in the marketing, Yoshi was intended to be a party member and cut, so I can see him coming back as one under those circumstances. Maybe even Boshi instead. As for anything else, idk this isn’t my area of expertise as someone who’s never actually played SMRPG. That’s why I hand the question off to you guys!
I would love the ability to switch partners out mid-battle. I usually end up using the same 2 partners with Mario throughout the game, and one of them is always Geno. The only problem with this is that most battles aren't long, so switching would only really be effective during boss battles. Another thing I would like to be added is being able to switch Mario out.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I think the reason why people complain (and without understanding and being kind to the good voices in their fanbases, which is unfair) about FE and Persona versus their own picks (and vice versa) is because of people growing up with varying gaming landscapes. Ones that aren't as memorable or lovable to them or even never experienced are ones they may particularly cast a discerning, judgmental eye at. A lot of fans of big JRPGs may be like this because they are used to the fabulous (trust me, I agree, I LOVE P5 and Royal only made it BETTER) hours and hours and hours of content, extremely rich lore, and stuff that a game like SMRPG doesn't have. It goes the other way around, too, as I know some SMRPG super fans who just don't care for massive-scale JRPGs like that.

The truth of the matter is this: sweeping generalizations on BOTH sides aren't cool, but it is a little understandable to see that gamers come in all shapes and sizes. The variety is tremendous, and when Smash is a convergence of all sides of gaming, there are sure to be conflicts of interest. Some people handle this with maturity; some handle it with ridiculous harassment and painting groups as 'bad'. It can get pretty black-and-white and petty, and it's one of the fanbase's worst problems that gives it that 'toxic' reputation. "All stale anime JRPG fans are the same vile people." "All stale bing bing wahoo fans are the same vile people." It goes both ways, and in a fandom like Smash's, it blows. The hell. Up.

Basically, it would explain why people may point fingers at FE's, Persona's, FF's, etc.'s fans, same with fingers pointed at Geno's. Does it justify it? Hell no. People need to respect what gaming means to them, because with how gaming is so WILDLY different across the board, one person's heartfelt experiences and affections are another's idea of the bland and meaningless. Unfortunately, it means that with a huge crossover fanbase like Smash's, it's par for the course. It gets really bad sometimes, too. The amount of people I've seen doling out death threats to both, say, fans of Byleth AND Geno alike is much too many. Over a video game.

It's not the separate fans and groups that are the problem. It's the unfortunate lack of respect from parties within those bases. This includes the 'anime fanbases' and our own. No matter from whom it is, it is all immature, petty, and hurtful, and needs to be fought against. The beauty of gaming is how massive the pool is, so let's not beat each other with our pool noodles because people prefer a different color to yours.

D

Deleted member

Even though this direct was underwhelming imo, it still had Cadence of Hyrule DLC and the SMT stuff (which is pretty big honestly).

If they have at least these kinds of announcements in each one of these mini-directs (hopefully more per direct), then there could still be some good stuff to look forward to.

But I still think having a general 40 minute direct is a far better idea.

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Imo Geno is too much of a pain for Nintendo to negotiate with square enix over.

Even Cloud only got two songs able to be licensed and he's much more mainstream than Geno who only appeared in 1 game and never again.

I honestly think if Geno was first party he would have been in brawl and in smash by now.

But with the current licensing issues I don't see it happening.

Dante, Ryu Hayabusa, are my takes for the next two dlc characters.

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792

Even Cloud only got two songs able to be licensed and he's much more mainstream than Geno who only appeared in 1 game and never again.

I honestly think if Geno was first party he would have been in brawl and in smash by now.

*Puts hand around shoulder*

Let me walk you out

Ovaltine

Smash Master

I actually think it's way less about Square and more about Nintendo wanting so little to do with the more obscure, lesser-loved Mario characters.

Don't you know? Mario, Baby Mario, Baby Metal Mario, Dr. Baby Metal Mario, and Dr. Baby Metal Wario are all the characters that exist in the Mario franchise. :drflip:

D

Deleted member

They've already licensed him, and multiple times at that.

As a Mii costume in Smash 4 and a spirit in Ultimate. Plus, in the Terry presentation, Sakurai said that characters don't need to be recognizable to be in the game. And even then, Geno is gaining much more recognition these days. He has a strong fanbase and I believe that that's what's going to get him in.

Alongside being a character that Sakurai has wanted to add since Brawl with potential for a unique moveset and timed-hits mechanic.

Last edited by a moderator:

WaxPython

Smash Ace
They've already licensed him, and multiple times at that.

As a Mii costume in Smash 4 and a spirit in Ultimate. Plus, in the Terry presentation, Sakurai said that characters don't need to be recognizable to be in the game. And even then, Geno is gaining much more recognition these days. He has a strong fanbase and I believe that that's what's going to get him in.
It is different to license him in those instances than as a full fighter with stage and music etc. Square are very difficult to work with in that regard

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I'm gonna make one last comment for now. I'm noticing by the way people word things that some are expecting Geno to be revealed at some point, as if it's likely to happen. I'm always down for Geno's return, don't get me wrong, but I don't want to be here the day the last DLC character is announced and it isn't Geno. Everyone subconsciously expecting Geno will have their minds shattered and war will break out.

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
It is different to license him in those instances than as a full fighter with stage and music etc. Square are very difficult to work with in that regard
Unless you're personally involved with either Nintendo or Square, I don't think you actually know how the process works, or how difficult it is. Sure, it's easy to assume based on the things that we know, but it's all speculation unless you have some insider info that we don't. I see where you're coming from, but this line of argument doesn't really hold up.

D

Deleted member

True, but, even then, Sakurai has worked with Square to license both Cloud and Hero for this game too (he was even able to get four of the DQ heros as alts for Hero).

In regards to music, Final's Fantasy's music composer and Super Mario RPG's music composer are different people, and Yoko Shimomura, the SMRPG composer is likely easier to work with than Uematsu Nobuo, the FF7 music composer.

And as Ovaltine Ovaltine said, it's likely that Nintendo actually has more to do with holding Geno back than Square does.

Plus, if Sakurai wants a character, negotiations wouldn't stop him (I thought that would be a hurdle for a DQ character but, low and behold, he got it).

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
It's not like Nintendo was able to negotiate to have Hero from Dragon Quest that the series is owned by several other companies, the creator has never let the Heroes fight each other, let alone be in games outside of Dragon Quest.

Yeah, impossible for Geno, a game that is the child of both Nintendo and Square in which the game has been re-released several times, his Mii Costume in 4 and Spirit in Ultimate. Yeah you are right, that's more of a pain to license.

Oh and Cloud. Yeah, it was difficult to get him back in AS NON PAID DLC.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I won't argue with you there, but I think Nintendo has been a bigger hurdle for Geno than Square-Enix has been. Recent developments have left me more optimistic than before but they have also revealed a lot about both companies and how I feel about the whole Geno/SMRPG stuff going on.

But I also am not 100% convinced Nintendo or Square are wanting to bury this game and erase it from existence. It has done incredibly well in the past and they have brought it back several times via Virtual Console or for things like SNES Mini. They are aware of the footprint this game has left.

I think there is still a reasonable shot it can still happen and the only way we will ever learn if Geno was snubbed/passed along is if his Mii Costume returns.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I don't think any of us know how the licensing process works - the best we can do is make educated guesses. From what I recall, the composer for Dragon Quest owns the rights to the music (which is why he gets a special credit in Hero's trailer), but I'm not sure if that applies to all of the composers that Square-Enix works with or if it's just him. (if it's a general deal, Yoko Shimomura's heavily involved in Smash, so I don't think that music would be an issue in Geno's case)

I'm not sure if it's ever been mentioned that there's been an issue with the characters or stages - it mainly seems to have been the music. (and, in Cloud's case, the spirits - I'm not sure if that's an issue with Tetsuya Nomura, or if Akira Toriyama is more generous/lenient, or how that works) Given Yoko Shimomura's heavy involvement in Smash (both in terms of her original music and being involved in the remixes) and Mario RPG already having spirits in Smash, I don't think licensing would be a particularly big obstacle when it comes to Geno. Then again, I'm not sure about what all goes into the licensing negotiations; I'm just basing it on what's already in Smash.

Last edited:

WaxPython

Smash Ace
True, but, even then, Sakurai has worked with Square to license both Cloud and Hero for this game too (he was even able to get four of the DQ heros as alts for Hero).

In regards to music, Final's Fantasy's music composer and Super Mario RPG's music composer are different people, and Yoko Shimomura, the SMRPG composer is likely easier to work with than Uematsu Nobuo, the FF7 music composer.

And as Ovaltine Ovaltine said, it's likely that Nintendo actually has more to do with holding Geno back than Square does.

Plus, if Sakurai wants a character, negotiations wouldn't stop him (I thought that would be a hurdle for a DQ character but, low and behold, he got it).

Tbf Uematsu Nobuo, also made tracks for Super Mario RPG and would have rights to the soundtrack as one of the artists.

Joint ownership in an artistic work is tricky stuff to get around for copyright.

Is Geno worth it for Nintendo and Square? Well maybe idk but the fact the game was never released in Europe or any PAL region might be an issue. I'm sure Nintendo have weighed up the pros and cons of adding Geno many times. So far it seems it hasn't been worth it. But who knows Nintendo might feel it's time and remaster the game too to go along with the geno reveal.

Imo if it was meant to be it would have been done by now instead of being added as costumes and such

I don't think any of us know how the licensing process works - the best we can do is make educated guesses. From what I recall, the composer for Dragon Quest owns the rights to the music (which is why he gets a special credit in Hero's trailer), but I'm not sure if that applies to all of the composers that Square-Enix works with or if it's just him. (if it's a general deal, Yoko Shimomura's heavily involved in Smash, so I don't think that music would be an issue in Geno's case)

I'm not sure if it's ever been mentioned that there's been an issue with the characters or stages - it mainly seems to have been the music. (and, in Cloud's case, the spirits - I'm not sure if that's an issue with Tetsuya Nomura, or if Akira Toriyama is more generous/lenient, or how that works) Given Yoko Shimomura's heavy involvement in Smash (both in terms of her original music and being involved in the remixes) and Mario RPG already having spirits in Smash, I don't think licensing would be a particularly big obstacle when it comes to Geno. Then again, I'm not sure about what all goes into the licensing negotiations; I'm just basing it on what's already in Smash.
Addressed above

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

Square doesn’t seem to have any real big licensing issues themselves. Yes FF didn’t get much, but that’s likely due to the artist and composer wanting royalties, and Sakurai was able to convince SE to let him have four Heroes (and the rest in their final smash) despite it usually not being a thing they’d let happen iirc. I guess it is a bit weird we got 8 tracks from DQ’s stingy composer then, but they were just the midis.

Meanwhile, SMRPG’s only apparent issue is being co-owned between Square and Nintendo, the original characters and likely music belonging to Square themselves (idk if the music belongs to Yoko Shimomura or not, but she’s already on the Smash composer team anyway). Geno got a mii costume in Smash 4, and him and Mallow got spirits this game...it really shouldn’t be a hassle to license Geno for a playable fighter. Square already got two of their biggest characters, they keep allowing free spirit events, and outside of Smash they even let Lara Croft appear in Brawlhalla.

In Smash 4, Nomura even asked Sakurai if he was sure he was okay with Cloud since he isn’t from a new game, yet they let him have Cloud anyway, and while it sounded like they were still strict about how Cloud was represented, apparently they were still at least somewhat easy to work with iirc.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
You guys don't deserve any of this

Edit: I retracted my earlier remarks upon further reflection. I apologies for coming off as toxic and flamming other groups/fans.
Though to be fair I really see where the frustration is coming from. Again, not going to generalize, but the "weeb" bubble of fans do often get treated better since people view them as "mature" (and "open-minded" and "sophisticated") compared to those who complain whenever they get a character, and a lot of the "weeb bubble" did act self righteous, obnoxious, and scathing when Byleth was revealed.

Again, not generalizing but just want to put in my two cents.

As a Joker main, I’ve now seen hate from both the threads of my most wanted characters, and that genuinely sucks. I want to see Geno and Chief make it in this pass without being bombarded by the whole “your main shouldn’t have gotten in” bull**** that this thread itself faces constantly.
I know how it feels! Look in my signature, EVERY character there aside from Crash will get this kind of grief if they get in, hell even Crash himself might get it from the few still obsessing over the Blizzard controversy.

Hell no. People need to respect what gaming means to them, because with how gaming is so WILDLY different across the board
EXACTLY! Problem is, both sides deride each other, and while one is mocked for doing it, the other is praised for it ("LOL HOES MAD").

In Smash 4, Nomura even asked Sakurai if he was sure he was okay with Cloud since he isn’t from a new game, yet they let him have Cloud anyway, and while it sounded like they were still strict about how Cloud was represented, apparently they were still at least somewhat easy to work with iirc.
It's where the whole Stingy Square misunderstanding comes from. Square's easy to work with, but the outside parties aren't And with SMRPG's composer already onboard, I highly doubt Geno will be stuck with two musical tracks. SMRPG has such a diverse soundtrack and will make for lots of great remixes!

Last edited:

Antho

Smash Apprentice
Tbf Uematsu Nobuo, also made tracks for Super Mario RPG and would have rights to the soundtrack as one of the artists.

Joint ownership in an artistic work is tricky stuff to get around for copyright.

Is Geno worth it for Nintendo and Square? Well maybe idk but the fact the game was never released in Europe or any PAL region might be an issue. I'm sure Nintendo have weighed up the pros and cons of adding Geno many times. So far it seems it hasn't been worth it. But who knows Nintendo might feel it's time and remaster the game too to go along with the geno reveal.

Imo if it was meant to be it would have been done by now instead of being added as costumes and such

Addressed above
Correct me if I’m wrong, but the only reason Nobuo Uematsu is listed as a composer in SMRPG was because Yoko made renditions of two of his songs to be used in the game.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Addressed above
Earthbound didn't make it to Europe until the Wii U, and Mother 3 never made it outside of Japan. (there are likely plenty of similar examples, but SNES RPGs are the first that come to mind) That didn't stop Ness and Lucas from being included.

Besides, "if it was meant to be, it would have happened by now" is a rather poor justification - the same thing applies to literally every single character that hasn't been in Smash yet. (ex. back in the Smash 4 days - "Ridley's never going to be included in Smash. If they were going to include him, it would have happened by now!") In addition, it seems unlikely that Square-Enix would add anyone before their two flagship franchises (Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest). That would be like Sega adding any of their characters to Smash before Sonic. No matter how much someone might want Kiryu, Ristar, or Segata Sanshiro, it would be impossible to argue that they should be included before Sonic the Hedgehog.

Last edited:

Ado anon

Smash Rookie
I must say, though it deeply saddens me to continue waiting for Geno, I liked the mini direct... SMT Nocturne, SMT V, those games look interesting... I want to bring the light of God into those worlds. Cadence of Hyrule looks interesting now that my favorite Zelda character, Skull Kid, has his very own quest! It's something I've always wanted! Those two games shown in the Japanese direct look fun too! Could have used a SMRPG remake or sequel by Square-Enix, but that may come later. When do you friends think the next direct could be? Maybe next monday...

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

Addressed above
Yoko composed the entire soundtrack, incorporating Koji Kondo’s music in some tracks and Nobuo Uemetsu’s in a few (I assume the Culex stuff). No one else worked on it.

Can’t be too bad if third-party stuff isn’t too bad either.

Europe got it on VC starting with the Wii.

You could say the same about Ridley, K. Rool, etc.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Worth pointing out that it was Square-Enix that suggested to get 2 more costumes. Sakurai never went for more than Luminary and Erdrick(latest version and the most known version from the East).

So basically he wasn't "able to get them", it's SE decided it'd be a cool idea. And that's after other IP owners of Dragon Quest okayed it. Basically the idea of having more than one Hero in a single game is actually difficult to do, even for SE alone. Remember when we saw the "Mario Quality Control" team? Dragon Quest has a similar situation, with one of their IP holders super picky about who can crossover with whom. It's ridiculous, but a part of how it is. I forget the name of the company. For some reason the word Lion comes to mind.

Geno thankfully doesn't seem to have this issue, so it's really just up to Nintendo to decide to go for it. Which just means Sakurai has to say yes to the idea(unless he changed his mind at some point, he'll say yes), and then for SE to say yes to the idea.

Ado anon

Smash Rookie
Square doesn’t seem to have any real big licensing issues themselves. Yes FF didn’t get much, but that’s likely due to the artist and composer wanting royalties, and Sakurai was able to convince SE to let him have four Heroes (and the rest in their final smash) despite it usually not being a thing they’d let happen iirc. I guess it is a bit weird we got 8 tracks from DQ’s stingy composer then, but they were just the midis.

Meanwhile, SMRPG’s only apparent issue is being co-owned between Square and Nintendo, the original characters and likely music belonging to Square themselves (idk if the music belongs to Yoko Shimomura or not, but she’s already on the Smash composer team anyway). Geno got a mii costume in Smash 4, and him and Mallow got spirits this game...it really shouldn’t be a hassle to license Geno for a playable fighter. Square already got two of their biggest characters, they keep allowing free spirit events, and outside of Smash they even let Lara Croft appear in Brawlhalla.

I expect lots of SMRPG remixed music if Geno graces the game. Yoko Shimomura composed the game, it's still some of her best work, and she's working on Smash Ultimate. The issue with DQ and especially FF7 music stemmed from the composers. SMRPG even got a remixed music track in my 7th favorite Wii game, Fortune Street. Hello, Happy Kingdom. Even just for that's a track the game is worth playing.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I don't want to continue this conversation after this, but I do want to say one more thing. Say what you will about other fanbases, but the FE fanbase has been on the receiving end of all the internet's ****, not the other way around. I have not seen fire emblem fans attacking others, but many people from literally every fanbase **** on fire emblem constantly out of nowhere. It's just become this accepted thing within the community that ****ting on most fanbases is bad, but it's perfectly fine if it's fire emblem. It gets so ****ing old seeing all the hate every time people talk about smash. We didn't ask for 8 characters. We didn't ask for three clones. Most of us would cut a good portion of the FE cast if we could. I'd cut Lucina, Chrom, and Corrin in a heartbeat. But we're still allowed to want our favorite FE character. We're still allowed to celebrate when they get in. I fully understand that ****ting on fire emblem is the new norm for the majority of the fanbase and I know I can't change that, but can we at least not act like FE fans are the agressors? Because the FE fanbase has it SO much worse than Geno K Rool or Ridley ever did. We don't need more ****.

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Earthbound didn't make it to Europe until the Wii U, and Mother 3 never made it outside of Japan. (there are likely plenty of similar examples, but SNES RPGs are the first that come to mind) That didn't stop Ness and Lucas from being included.

Besides, "if it was meant to be, it would have happened by now" is a rather poor justification - the same thing applies to literally every single character that hasn't been in Smash yet. (ex. back in the Smash 4 days - "Ridley's never going to be included in Smash. If they were going to include him, it would have happened by now!") In addition, it seems unlikely that Square-Enix would add anyone before their two flagship franchises. That would be like Sega adding any of their characters to Smash before Sonic.
Earthbound sequels made it to Europe however, and Ness wasn't dlc. imo Nintendo can afford to have more out there picks for base roster as ppl will buy the game anyway. Dlc is different as people pick and choose what appeals to them so I'm sure that there's an element of profitability to consider.

Ridley is different as Geno actually was considered being in the roster for smash. Much like snake was in melee but snake made it in the very next installment 2 games later after brawl still no Geno.

I personally think the issue is the soundtrack, as it's a joint ownership artistic work the artists will all want royalties. Idk the details but I heard Nobuo Uematsu is difficult to get her work licensed for 3rd party content.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
If it was meant to be it would have been added already is such a bad point, that would apply to almost everyone after Brawl (since that started third party additions)

EDIT: Why is the sound track an issue when the composer of Mario RPG music is part of the Smash team? I don't understand how that is more of a "hurdle" when Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest by your argument was not? And yet we got them? I don't get it.

Last edited:

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
I don't want to continue this conversation after this, but I do want to say one more thing. Say what you will about other fanbases, but the FE fanbase has been on the receiving end of all the internet's ****, not the other way around. I have not seen fire emblem fans attacking others, but many people from literally every fanbase **** on fire emblem constantly out of nowhere. It's just become this accepted thing within the community that ****ting on most fanbases is bad, but it's perfectly fine if it's fire emblem. It gets so ****ing old seeing all the hate every time people talk about smash. We didn't ask for 8 characters. We didn't ask for three clones. Most of us would cut a good portion of the FE cast if we could. I'd cut Lucina, Chrom, and Corrin in a heartbeat. But we're still allowed to want our favorite FE character. We're still allowed to celebrate when they get in. I fully understand that ****ting on fire emblem is the new norm for the majority of the fanbase and I know I can't change that, but can we at least not act like FE fans are the agressors? Because the FE fanbase has it SO much worse than Geno K Rool or Ridley ever did. We don't need more ****.
You clearly weren't here for Byleth when the FE fandom was brutally mocking the Smash fandom for WEEKS

D

Deleted member

Addressed above
Uematsu Nobuo has some tracks from SMRPG that are just tracks from other FF games, and those likely aren't going to be the ones they add in Smash along with Geno.

Again, for Sakurai, it's likely easier than we thought. He doesn't let negotiations come in the way of him getting a character he wants.

SMRPG was released on the WiiU VC so, yes, it is actually available for Europe to play. And even if it wasn't, there are characters like Lucas who's game is still unavailable for some regions of the world.

In Ultimate, he's one of the few characters who's Mii costume still hasn't returned from Smash 4, so it could be time for his reveal. Also, I think you're underestimating how much fan request affects a character's chances. It brought Ridley, K. Rool, and Banjo into Smash, and it could do the same for Geno. He's the most requested character not in the game yet and FP2 could finally be his time.

Not to mention that Geno would represent the SNES era, Nintendo and Square's partnership, and the Mario RPGs. Between this and many years of fan request, Geno is very much worth it.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
First I want to address my apologies for attacking Opossum Opossum yesterday. I was just real pissed the other day. I shouldn't have said anything and just kept it to myself.

Yeah, the showcase suck. I think Ultimate is Geno's last chance because as Fatmanonice Fatmanonice said, we are all getting old and Sakurai knows this. Plus SMRPG fans who played it back in the day being over their late 30s or 40s by the time the next Smash comes along.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
You clearly weren't here for Byleth when the FE fandom was brutally mocking the Smash fandom for WEEKS
Trust me, I was there for Byleth. I was there for literally the entire fanbase ****ting on Byleth for weeks. I was there for people organizing boycotts of FE for weeks. I was there for cosplayers getting harassed and voice actors getting death threats. I was there for FE fans getting boo'd off the internet while every last person in the fanbase ******* and moaned about how horrible fire emblem is and how much they hate Byleth in every last thread on every last site, and in every comment of every tweet and every YouTube video, leaving no safe space for FE fans. I was also there when all fe fans did in response was over post a dumb meme. I garuntee you all (edit: by "you all" I mean the people who have been ****ting on other fanbases today, not the Geno thread as a whole) would not have handled that situation with nearly as much grace and maturity considering what's been expressed today.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Earthbound sequels made it to Europe however, and Ness wasn't dlc. imo Nintendo can afford to have more out there picks for base roster as ppl will buy the game anyway. Dlc is different as people pick and choose what appeals to them so I'm sure that there's an element of profitability to consider.

Ridley is different as Geno actually was considered being in the roster for smash. Much like snake was in melee but snake made it in the very next installment 2 games later after brawl still no Geno.

I personally think the issue is the soundtrack, as it's a joint ownership artistic work the artists will all want royalties. Idk the details but I heard Nobuo Uematsu is difficult to get her work licensed for 3rd party content.
Earthbound made it to Europe nearly fifteen years after Ness was included in Smash, and Mother 3 didn't make it to Europe at all. (and Lucas was DLC for Smash 4 - so was Roy, and his game was and still is Japan-exclusive) As for Ridley, he was considered for Smash, but Sakurai said that if they made him a fighter, "it wouldn't be Ridley any longer" (since he'd have to be shrunk down, or couldn't fly around freely). Obviously, that wasn't an issue for Smash Ultimate - circumstances change. (and, like I said, adding Geno before a Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest character would be like adding Kazuma Kiryu before Sonic)

As for the Mario RPG soundtrack, every single song was composed by Shimomura or arranged from songs by Koji Kondo or Nobuo Uematsu. The only Uematsu songs in the entire soundtrack are associated with Culex, so they could just exclude those. (it's not like they'd need Conversation With Culex or Victory Over Culex anyway - Fight Against Culex would be nice, but not absolutely necessary)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom