• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
I mean, I don't think anyone's nearly as adamant about this as they were about Grinch, nor does anyone seem too angry about people believing or not believing it. Until we start seeing team real and team fake crop up again, I think we're good.

That being said, managing expectations is still totally important, and I'll be fine (albeit disappointed) if Geno's not announced Monday (or at all).
I mean, isn't the Smash fanbase divided between Pro and Anti Geno already?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I mean, isn't the Smash fanbase divided between Pro and Anti Geno already?
What's a no show for Geno going to do, divide those groups even further? I doubt it. I mean, it will just be a no show. Any outburst from either side will be overreacting, but that is it. I don't see further division.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
What's a no show for Geno going to do, divide those groups even further? I doubt it. I mean, it will just be a no show. Any outburst from either side will be overreacting, but that is it. I don't see further division.
Exactly. We have seen a lot of people from different areas today who may not be a fan of Geno, but still say "He could happen" and not "EWWWWWW YoU gEnOpErS wIlL nEvEr LeArN!!!"

Everyone had been very rational and accepting of what others had/have to say.

But I digress, Geno is still in a pretty good spot, regardless of the last day or two.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
*Me watching YouTube unaware that the Geno thread is, once again, going ballistic
FD48D488-3201-4519-A64A-A1CEE6EEE024.jpeg

(I'm getting some déjà vu)

"Hey Geno thread, what did I-"
20200103_195024.jpg

"Oh c'mon, I missed the sauce again?!"

Geno is fine. This doesn't affect his chances because like people are saying, Sakurai can get a character if he wants them. Someone recently refuted by saying Sakurai isn't that powerful... uh, yeah, he is. He is more powerful than any of us.

Talking about the Paper Mario stuff... man that sucks. I don't have any real attachment to the old Paper Mario games, but it is incredibly disheartening to see Nintendo's stance on this. However, Nintendo DOES listen. ...albeit only sometimes. Look, I realize the fans have wanted a return to form for years and its fallen on deaf ears. But here's what I think... if Metroid Prime 4 is being made, then anything is possible. I truly believe that. Nintendo allowed for Sakurai to make the Smash Ballot too which they didn't need to do. I'm not making excuses for Nintendo here though and I don't agree with them. It is super dumb and I agree with what Ovaltine Ovaltine said about lving the products Nintendo makes, but man does the company really suck sometimes.

I know some people think there is no hooe anymore, but I 100% disagree. Because of fan outcry Smash alone has done so much. Prime 4 is happening, 3D Mario returned to a more open format, etc. If you Geno fans gave up years ago you wouldn't be here now. I realize Sakurai listens more than Tanabe, but I truly believe that Paper Mario will return to its RPG roots someday. When? Well... good question...

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Man if we are really getting a new F-Zero, that would be unbelieveably amazing.

I never even played an F-Zero game, but people have doubted we would ever get a new game that the idea of getting one has just become a meme. The fact we might finally get a new F-Zero is just incredible.
The fact that they added his vehicle and two F-Zero maps and not Captain Falcon himself in Mario Kart 8, is still confusing to me.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I don't normally post here, so don't y'all go killing me now, but if I may have a voice of opposition for a moment here.

We know that the video was recorded sometime in June, considering the actress, Pamela, has been in the hospital since the beginning of the month.

To assume that the video means something would mean that there would have to have been a Direct planned for June that somehow got delayed, which seems odd. People over on ResetEra, supposedly, said that stuff for Min Min, like Renders, Screenshots, etc, were sent a day/mere hours ahead to get journalists to prepare them for the drop and have videos/articles ready to promote her. By this logic, this would mean that Nintendo would have had to send the Geno stuff, only for last minute to pull the Direct and delay it until sometime in July.

I think Geno has a fine shot, but this video was undeniably filmed earlier than July, and in that case, why would they send the Press stuff early when they don't do that? We have to assume that this would be a last, LAST minute cancellation, and by then, Nintendo would risk a huge leak chances by giving this stuff to the Press to hang on for over a month.
I mean the most obvious answer is the delayed/canceled E3 direct which would have been in June. Not saying that’s where they got their information from nor does it answer Nintendo letting GameStop hold onto this information whereas they didn’t for other characters but still.

Also I don’t understand people just chalking it up to a slip of the tongue. Like this wasn’t made by just one person. This is a corporate video meant to advertise a product. Do y’all really think it wasn’t vetted by multiple people? It wasn’t just the narrator slapping something together. Again, it could have been some level of mistake but the way people are brushing it off is weird. Like imagine if any character other than Geno was in a round about way said to be in Smash by a video sent out by a major retailer mere days before a big direct is supposed to hit. I feel like the reaction would be much different.

Last edited:

Paraspikey

Smash Journeyman
Waluigi can't be referenced in mainline Mario games? What's this, then?

I really don't think those "limitations" set in the Mario universe really apply to any Mario franchise aside from Paper Mario at this point.

It's day and night looking at games like Super Mario Odyssey, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Mario Tennis Aces, LOZ BOTW, and Origami King. All of the former examples were constructed with fan feedback highly kept in mind, and it was even said in a few interviews that Miyamoto had barely any input in Odyssey.

The only Nintendo series that's still following that archaic design philosophy seems to be Paper Mario, and only because Tanabe has his head so far up his ass. If you actually do your research, the man mainly responsible for the Paper Marios of old (Ryota Kawade) had zero involvement in Sticker Star, Color Splash, and now Origami King.

It's just baffling that higher-up Nintendo allows Tanabe to produce the Paper Mario series when they've seen multiple times how angry he makes the fans with his tone deaf PR statements and enforcing dumb rules on the Paper Mario series to make the games less unique.
Thank you.

People will try anything to say he isn't in, even supporters themselves, which is just heartbreaking in a way.

D

Deleted member

HOO boy, I just finished reading all those pages over the past hour and a half and, man a lot has happened.

About that paper mario article...it's finally revealed why we haven't seen the classic Mario RPG style in a while. I feel like I'm in a movie where we thought Square was to blame for Geno being dormant all this time, until we find out that the true villain is Nintendo.

Before, Geno getting in would please the many fans who have been rooting for and supporting him all of these years and introduce new audiences to him and SMRPG. Along with this, now, Geno getting into Smash is what the Mario RPG series needs and may even give Nintendo a wake up call.

Don't give up, Genobros and gals. I'm confident about our boy and I'm positive we're almost there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shroob

Sup?
I mean the most obvious answer is the delayed/canceled E3 direct which would have been in June. Not saying that’s where they got their information from nor does it answer Nintendo letting GameStop hold onto this information whereas they didn’t for other characters but still.
Okay, but consider this as a counter-argument:

E3 was cacelled in March, giving Nintendo plenty of time to reschedule, and it's not like June didn't have content, be it 2 Pokemon Directs and a Smash presentation.

I'm personally just more inclined to consider "They had stuff for June, they simply held it off for July" rather than a sudden, last minute cancellation, you know?

And if there was going to be a June Direct, where were the leaks? This Direct, as have many as of late, have usually been leaked ahead of schedule, just like the upcoming 20th Direct seems to be, yet, June was pretty barren outside of obviously fake 4chan/Reddit posts.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
HOO boy, I just finished reading all those pages over the past hour and a half and, man a lot has happened.

About that paper mario article...it's finally revealed why we haven't seen the classic Mario RPG style in a while. I feel like I'm in a movie where we thought Square was to blame for Geno being dormant all this time, until we find out that the true villain is Nintendo.

Before, Geno getting in would please the many fans who have been rooting and supporting him all of these years and introduce new audiences to him and SMRPG. Along with this, now, Geno getting into Smash is what the Mario RPG series needs and may even give Nintendo a wake up call.

Don't give up, Genobros and gals. I'm confident about our boy and I'm positive we're almost there.
It's like the twist in a JRPG. Oh, HE's not the real villain, the guy you were fighting for was. How poetic.

D

Deleted member

Seriously though on a side note we'll probably reach 3000 pages at this rate before the next direct

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord

What exactly is the reason?

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Okay, but consider this as a counter-argument:

E3 was cacelled in March, giving Nintendo plenty of time to reschedule, and it's not like June didn't have content, be it 2 Pokemon Directs and a Smash presentation.

I'm personally just more inclined to consider "They had stuff for June, they simply held it off for July" rather than a sudden, last minute cancellation, you know?

And if there was going to be a June Direct, where were the leaks? This Direct, as have many as of late, have usually been leaked ahead of schedule, just like the upcoming 20th Direct seems to be, yet, June was pretty barren outside of obviously fake 4chan/Reddit posts.
Sorry, not sure I see a clear counter argument here.

It could have been decided that the smash direct was just going to focus on Min Min over doing a double reveal as was done in E3 2019.

Ok they could have held stuff off for July but not before forgetting to tell GameStop to omit certain details in their Paper Mario promotional video.

What do you mean “Where are the leaks?”. There are “leaks“ about what was supposed to be in the E3 direct in the weeks before and after the date came and went. Tons of games that were supposed to be announced have been leaked and unofficially confirmed. And sometimes it is in the form of random 4chan posts no one pays attention to until after the fact.

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
eeehhh.

Can someone explain what happened now?
Oh man, where to start.
-First there was a video from Gamestop that was reviewing Paper Mario TOK and the reviewer, Pamela, started talking about SMRPG and then said this word for word "I mean, there is a reason people were freaking out when Geno was announced for Smash" Thus a whole can of worms were opened. So we debated about it for the last 20 ish hours and majority are neutral, but it could be a "legit" leak or just a simple slip-up.

-Secondly, an Interview with Tanabe (who has worked on the last couple of Paper Marios) stated WHY the way things are for Paper Mario. However, some took it as ALL of Nintendo is doing this.

To Summarize:

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Sorry, not sure I see a clear counter argument here.

It could have been decided that the smash direct was just going to focus on Min Min over doing a double reveal as was done in E3 2019.

Ok they could have held stuff off for July but not before forgetting to tell GameStop to omit certain details in their Paper Mario promotional video.

What do you mean “Where are the leaks?”. There are “leaks“ about what was supposed to be in the E3 direct in the weeks before and after the date came and went. Tons of games that we’re supposed to be announced have been leaked and unofficially confirmed. And sometimes it is in the form of random 4chan posts no one pays attention to until after the fact.
Excuse my own poor wording here.

What I mean is, usually, when a Direct is near, people in the industry, be it Jon from GameXplain or people on ResetEra will tease something coming 'soon'. Even if it did get cancelled last minute, no one teased anything of the sort coming at all in all of June. Hell, the reason we're talking about July 20th is because Insiders have pinned that date for the day, yet you can't say that for a single day in June.

I just don't buy a last minute cancellation, at all.

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
*Me watching YouTube unaware that the Geno thread is, once again, going ballistic
View attachment 278759

(I'm getting some déjà vu)

"Hey Geno thread, what did I-"
View attachment 278760

"Oh c'mon, I missed the sauce again?!"

Geno is fine. This doesn't affect his chances because like people are saying, Sakurai can get a character if he wants them. Someone recently refuted by saying Sakurai isn't that powerful... uh, yeah, he is. He is more powerful than any of us.

Talking about the Paper Mario stuff... man that sucks. I don't have any real attachment to the old Paper Mario games, but it is incredibly disheartening to see Nintendo's stance on this. However, Nintendo DOES listen. ...albeit only sometimes. Look, I realize the fans have wanted a return to form for years and its fallen on deaf ears. But here's what I think... if Metroid Prime 4 is being made, then anything is possible. I truly believe that. Nintendo allowed for Sakurai to make the Smash Ballot too which they didn't need to do. I'm not making excuses for Nintendo here though and I don't agree with them. It is super dumb and I agree with what Ovaltine Ovaltine said about lving the products Nintendo makes, but man does the company really suck sometimes.

I know some people think there is no hooe anymore, but I 100% disagree. Because of fan outcry Smash alone has done so much. Prime 4 is happening, 3D Mario returned to a more open format, etc. If you Geno fans gave up years ago you wouldn't be here now. I realize Sakurai listens more than Tanabe, but I truly believe that Paper Mario will return to its RPG roots someday. When? Well... good question...
We all ended with the same answer: It's only paper mario related. I will make it. 3,2,1 No everything relates to smash
eeehhh.

Can someone explain what happened now?
Watch this: https://youtu.be/L_8wgqji6RQ

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
I don't normally post here, so don't y'all go killing me now, but if I may have a voice of opposition for a moment here.

We know that the video was recorded sometime in June, considering the actress, Pamela, has been in the hospital since the beginning of the month.

To assume that the video means something would mean that there would have to have been a Direct planned for June that somehow got delayed, which seems odd. People over on ResetEra, supposedly, said that stuff for Min Min, like Renders, Screenshots, etc, were sent a day/mere hours ahead to get journalists to prepare them for the drop and have videos/articles ready to promote her. By this logic, this would mean that Nintendo would have had to send the Geno stuff, only for last minute to pull the Direct and delay it until sometime in July.

I think Geno has a fine shot, but this video was undeniably filmed earlier than July, and in that case, why would they send the Press stuff early when they don't do that? We have to assume that this would be a last, LAST minute cancellation, and by then, Nintendo would risk a huge leak chances by giving this stuff to the Press to hang on for over a month.
An interesting point, but the logic also swings in the opposite way

It's entirely possible that Nintendo meant to have a June presentation anyway since all of the other companies had their own pseudo-E3 presentations. The GameStop video was filmed with that in mind and they decide to use Geno as a pivot for Paper Mario promotion by talking about the roots of the series given his (at the time) impending reveal, which by the time the video would go live would month old news. But then, Nintendo decides to scrap June and go for July, but that video was left in the backburner and everyone forgot about it until now.

July comes, the editors just show the spirit in lack of any proper footage and don't think twice about it.

These are unprecedented times, I can imagine something slipping through the cracks like this.

My hypothetical timeline for if June was on schedule would be

Pokemon Direct > Min Min Reveal> Pokemon Direct 2: Return of Jafar> "E3" Nintendo Direct with first party announcements and Geno

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Excuse my own poor wording here.

What I mean is, usually, when a Direct is near, people in the industry, be it Jon from GameXplain or people on ResetEra will tease something coming 'soon'. Even if it did get cancelled last minute, no one teased anything of the sort coming at all in all of June. Hell, the reason we're talking about July 20th is because Insiders have pinned that date for the day, yet you can't say that for a single day in June.

I just don't buy a last minute cancellation, at all.
For the past couple of months there have been several instances where “insiders” have heard a make-up for an E3 direct was coming ”soon” since June And then days come and go and people shift to another rumored date until now where July 20th is considered “the day”.

Shroob

Sup?
For the past couple of months there have been several instances where “insiders” have heard a make-up for an E3 direct was coming ”soon” since June And then days come and go and people shift to another rumored date until now where July 20th is considered “the day”.
Well, that's just my take on it.

I think Geno has a fine shot, but I don't buy this video as a credible leak in the slightest. There's too many logical loopholes you have to jump through in favor of it confirming Geno, be it a supposed cancelled Direct at the last minute, to no one on Gamestop's staff catching the error and uploading it anyway, while also keeping said video up for now 3 days and not making a big deal of it.

1594939839135.png

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
I don't really remember any insiders claiming a direct was coming in June. Really the only person that was talking about any sort of announcements happening "soon" was HotGirls; but as I've brought up before, she has a really inconsistent track record and her "leaks" are more than likely just guesses.
I know NateDrake and Grubb had 0 ideas of when the next direct is coming back in June, in fact NateDrake was thinking it may not happen for a couple of months until the end of summer or so. Jeff Grubb just put Nintendo in his wildcard slot, pretty much meaning he had 0 clue when Nintendo announcements were happening.

Both of them were caught off guard by Kelios's statement that a direct will happen in July back in early July. It's worth noting that all Kelios knew at that time was "a July direct is happening" not exactly when. A couple of days later NateDrake implied the 20th is the date, and Kelios backed him up on that which is when the rumor started gaining traction. Then back on the 10th or so, Zell kind of hinted the direct was coming soon too; and ZhugeEX also implied it.

So really most of the insider rumors really only started back around the 5th of July at the earliest. No one reliable was talking about a July direct back in June. There have been rumors of what could be on the direct since long before that, but other than that a lot of insiders had 0 clue on the actual direct date/month.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Geno is in. New F-Zero possible. Time and space are collapsing. Monday can’t come soon enough.

QQS

Smash Lord
To get sentimental for a minute, as I said in my post last night, it makes me genuinely happy to see so much energy in this thread right now. It makes me happy to see some dormant accounts who haven't shown up here in recent times (like @Dynamic Worlok, @Franco Geno, and of course my girl Ovaltine Ovaltine ) join us again (if only for a brief period).

Despite me making it clear that I'm not a Super Mario RPG pro, I have been in this thread for over a year and I've definitely seen the thread go through stuff. As someone who really values sentimentality, when I hear you guys wanting to cheer a cancer patient (survivor?) up, when I hear you guys being hyped while also being responsible, helping put our @Sigran101 (you rock, don't ever leave), hell when I just see that people enjoy a post I make... it makes me smile. As I make all too apparent, I'm a pretty young guy in this thread (about to turn 18 fun fact, though @Nicnac and @ActualGarbage are the youngest if I did the math right). So the fact that your dedication managed to turn a young zoomer who hasn't even played Super Mario RPG into a campaigner for Geno and actively interacts with you boomers (:ultpacman:) on a regular basis just speaks volumes, in my opinion.

I mean bloody hell, I'm about the enter my senior year of high school and one of the most pressing things on my mind is you guys. I've said it so many times that is probably is annoying at this point, but I truly want Geno for you guys and gals in here. For those who remember my huge "confession" post, I admitted I used the hate the idea of Geno in Smash. But you guys and the dedication of the community made me realize how long you guys have been in the trenches and should finally get your dues. As such, it saddens me when beacons of light like Ovaltine or any other burnt out Geno fans just up and leave due to being so tired of it all.

While not everyone in this thread is my cup of tea (shout out to the people who remember the Mephiles days), it is really amazing to see new faces pop up who become mainstays like QQS QQS , @Lord Woomy, and @Enigma735. I'm sure not everyone likes me in here either, but I can only imagine how it feels to long-time supporters like @KCCHIEFS27, @Fatmanonice, @xpnc, PsychoIncarnate PsychoIncarnate (and the list can go on) to see that their long-standing hope for Geno isn't in vain. There are so many people in this thread who I think are gems and I can't wait to see them freak out once Geno gets in. Trust me, I could list all the people in the thread who I think are rockstars (though I'd feel bad if I were to forget anyone), but for now I'll just remind you all that regardless of whether you believe in leaks, or rumors, or evil theory-crafting, that you have being here is worth something and because of you guys Geno is now at the forefront of Smash speculation. A one-time, 20+ year old, admittedly not the most relevant, jointly owned Nintendo & Square Enix character is now thought to be one of the most likely characters to appear in the greatest gaming crossover as DLC. For that alone you guys should be excited. Your guys' dedication is already paying off and I think we all know what the final reward is.

I look forward to the day when people the thread can start laughing like hyenas and busting open the champagne bottles due to the war finally being won. Until then, as I always say... "I'm with you all until the end of the line." Thanks for reading.
Thank for your words bro. I appreciate it. Best wishes from Chile and stay strong :)

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
Regardless whether the GameStop video means anything or not, the fact that they actually took the time to acknowledge and talk about a character like Geno for an in-store video is amazing. I think that's pretty darn cool.

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
Thank you.

People will try anything to say he isn't in, even supporters themselves, which is just heartbreaking in a way.
i came here to have a good time and im honestly feeling so attacked right now.
It´s just the gamestop really seems like poor wording, nothing short of a trusted insider or an image leak would make me believe in Geno before he´s revealed

MattX20

Smash Hero
It appears we will be waiting for tomorrow to confirm the Direct. It makes sense given how we've had Directs/presentations announced on Friday before

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
I've had my rant on the creative directions that Nintendo seems to impose on Mario games these days a couple pages ago, but just to be clear I'll say this: that has absolutely NO bearing on Geno's chances.

It should go without saying honestly. Smash is its own thing entirely, and I highly doubt any of the higher ups calling the shots for the Mario franchise would even give much of a **** at all about Geno being added to the game. The fact that we have a fair few Spirits from the Mario RPGs of old, including Geno himself, should be pretty telling.

tl;dr geno is still in babyyyyy

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

What exactly is the reason?
Here I'll just quote this post, it explains it best:

So apparently something interesting came up in regards to Paper Mario and it's characters. https://www.videogameschronicle.com/features/interviews/paper-mario-origami-king/.

TL;DR: IS isn't allowed to make unique characters out of already established characters in the Mario Setting (like Goombario or Goombella), and while they can make wholly new characters that don't borrow design elements from the Mario Universe (Origami twins or stationery bosses); they can't keep on reusing them in the future (they're forced to be one offs).

And apparently this isn't just Nintendo controlling Paper Mario really hard either. According to this comment by a deleted insider at resetera from back in 2018 (this was made in a topic where people were wondering why Waluigi isn't in WarioWare).

Here's the truth:

Nintendo has a quality assurance team whose goal is to make sure that all of the characters and worlds stay consistent. It was established after the early Wii era...people like Miyamoto noticed around 2009-ish that Nintendo contractors like Camelot / Alphadream / Intelligent Systems were getting a little too liberal with their interpretations of the Mario IP...so now they watch over everything and establish standards.

It's this team that prevents Waluigi from appearing outside of sports games.

It's pretty much everything related to the Mario IP. AKA it's likely that this team also decides which Mario characters are allowed into Smash as spirits, mii costumes, assist trophies, and fighters. And considering that they're still being reluctant with allowing unique characters to return in future entries or giving them bigger roles in the rest of the Mario IP; I won't lie when I say it makes me a little hesitant on Geno's chances, so far every playable Mario character has had an appearance in multiple different mainline Mario games, so that may be the team's criteria for who gets to be playable or not. Waluigi for example is entirely relegated to spin-offs.

Hopefully Sakurai manages to convince this Mario IP team to let him add characters like Geno or Waluigi as playable characters this time, and maybe they end up seeing how much unique characters matter a lot to people and bring things like unique NPC/partner designs back.

Ray102396

Smash Apprentice
Now, with us: The List 2.0.0 (Nintendo Direct Edition) courtesy of Polarthief Polarthief View attachment 278779
Just one thing about the "Stuff Nintendo did" section... Where's the "tournament being early" come from? Just checked, and the last few tournaments have been for 3 days, starting on a Friday, and this new one doesn't seem to be any different according to the Twitter post.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
As for the Gamestop thing, I'm neutral on it. Do I want it to be the case that Nintendo had E3 stuff planned, things fell through, and Geno will be our next character? Of course! But could I also see this being a huge blunder? Of course. I don't exactly trust gaming companies to not mess up big sometimes.

There was a lot of Banjo leaking the few days before he was revealed, though. So here's hoping!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom