• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Something to at least note regarding Snufkin, since he is bring brought up a lot, Moomin was a really topical thing during the early 90s in Japan. TV Tokyo was in charge of creating this adaptation of Moomin until at least 92. Like with all media, artists, creators like to take reference to things that they like so it wouldn't surprise me if Geno's design was loosely inspired by Snufkin. Not just in design, but personality and the whole concept of being this mysterious figure you are after in the forest.

Nothing is written in stone that Geno was inspired by Snufkin but it wouldn't surprise me if this was the case.

(I know very little about the history of the Moomin brand aside from it's origins so I apologies that I cannot give too much on the topic)

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Decided to copy and paste this from my most recent status because it's not only related to Geno but this is one of the few threads I can actually post theorycraft without people tearing their clothes in anguish and screaming into the sky:

"Normally don't do theorycrafting in my status but I wanted to share something that's relevant to a good number of popular fanbases. One of the common criticisms I get is that I have mentioned four characters have been prevalent in insider circles since fall 2018: Waluigi, Geno, Lloyd, and Ryu Hayabusa (now a split argument of whether he was leakbait for Byleth so I won't go into him). "Okay, smartass, if they've been heard so long... Where are they?" While typing something up in the Dixie thread today, I came to realize that most of the third party and DLC characters throughout Smash history have a seemingly intentional timing to them. These can be split up into three categories: promoting major projects in the works, promoting an upcoming game even if it's just a rerelease, and to be part of certain anniversary celebrations. Before I start, I want to say that Plant, Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy, and Min Min were probably released "just because" and the only third party character I think was added just for the hell of it was Ken. This all said, let me break it down by category:

Major upcoming project: Snake (MGS4), Ryu (Street Fighter V), Cloud (FF VII Remake)

Upcoming game release: Sonic (Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games), Pac-Man (Japanese release of Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures), Corrin (Western release of Fire Emblem Fates), Bayonetta (Bayonetta 2 rerelease), Joker (Persona 5 Scramble and Persona 5 R), Hero (DQ XI S), Byleth (Three Houses DLC)

This all said, this seems very, very intentional, especially for third party characters.

Commerorating an Anniversary: Megaman (part of the 25th anniversary), Simon/Richter (part of Konami's 50th anniversary), Banjo (part of the 20th anniversary), Terry (interesting enough, was not only released super close to the 28th anniversary of Fatal Fury but the 20th anniversary of Garou: Mark of the Wolves, which is a Fatal Fury spin-off that Terry stars in)

With these mentioned, these bring up some very interesting prospects for four evergreen characters in Smash speculation: Waluigi, Lloyd, Dixie, and Geno and I'll go into all of them focusing just on these topics.

Waluigi: pretty straight forward, 35th Super Mario anniversary and, coincidentally, Waluigi's 20th birthday is next Tuesday. I don't care how you feel about him, you have to admit that would be pretty cool if they planned this all along.

Lloyd: 25th anniversary of Tales and Namco has been hardcore teasing announcement since literally January. The Tales stuff leaked last September so it heavily implies is there's going to be several major announcements later this year. Also, I know not everyone is a Tales fan but the actual 25th anniversary isn't until December, part of the reason why Lloyd was part of my theorycraft for 5 and why he's part of my theorycraft for 9.

Dixie: I went into it in both the Geno thread and Dixie but there's been rumblings of "something" major being announced soon for the DK series since November and recently it's hit a fever pitch. Especially with the strong [word redacted] that the game is strictly first party and the first non-buck passed DK adventure since Jungle Beat, I could easily see them using Smash to promote. If Nintendo can do this for Fire Emblem Fates and Three Square Meals a Day, they can certainly do it for DK.

Geno: this one is particularly interesting because, as someone pointed out in the Geno thread the other day, Square doesn't believe in free lunches. Cloud promotes FF VII Remake, Hero promotes DQ XI S, Hero's costumes promoted not only DQ XI S but the rereleases of DQ I-III, two Square spirit events that promote Octopath Traveler and Trials of Mana, and even Geno's Mii costume in Smash 4 promoted the January 2016 release of SMRPG on the Wii U VC. In short, pretty much everything they've added is specifically an ad for something coming up or something that can be bought right now with minimal effort. This said, if Geno were to come to Smash, he wouldn't be promoting SMRPG on the NSO because that's a free service and free makes Square Enix break out in hives. This means that Geno would be tied to... Something... that requires people to break out the ol' debit card. What could this be? Time will tell, if at all.

Also, yes, I know there's other major anniversaries and game releases coming up but these were the four I wanted to focus on because, honestly, all four have had dedicated fanbases since the Brawl Speculation days and it would be pretty cool if things panned out for most, if not all, of them in the upcoming year and a half."

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

Did anyone post this yet?

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Both new tags from fighters and stage were removed. I checked the site before Min Min's reveal, and nothing changed at all from when Byleth was added; they still had 'new' 5 months in. So we can see that the tags aren't time sensitive, ie, disappear after X time has passed. You would think that since daily updates are done that there shouldn't be any changes to the site until a new character is revealed.

Pretty sure this most likely means nothing, but it is just odd that someone would update the site, even for something so minor, when there's nothing definite happening that's publically known.

JoscarGamma

Smash Apprentice

I remember bringing up the new tab before Min Min’s reveal. It was up when Byleth was released and stayed there after Min Min. I was wondering about it and brought it up because that was normally an indicator an announcement/reveal was coming. Interesting that it happens NOW..... I smell a direct happening...

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Both new tags from fighters and stage were removed. I checked the site before Min Min's reveal, and nothing changed at all from when Byleth was added; they still had 'new' 5 months in. So we can see that the tags aren't time sensitive, ie, disappear after X time has passed. You would think that since daily updates are done that there shouldn't be any changes to the site until a new character is revealed.

Pretty sure this most likely means nothing, but it is just odd that someone would update the site, even for something so minor, when there's nothing definite happening that's publically known.
As someone said on the Newcomer Discussion thread...

and as a heads up, yes this does in fact coincide with imminent reveals

the only question is whether or not it's this week or the next
So, it may be for something yet.

MisterMike

Smash Champion

OH **** LADS

What was the New Tab that was removed on the official Smash Ultimate website?
Can someone explain to me what is missing?
On the Smash website's main page, they have links to the different sections of the site (Fighters, Stages, Music, etc.). When a new piece of content is added to the game, there's a little *NEW* icon in one of the top corners of the icon. As of right now, the *NEW* icon on the Fighters button has been removed. So far, whenever it gets removed, it means that there's a new fighter to be announced very soon.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Before I forget...

Well, I just assume obscurity just generally means if they are known to the general masses. If something sells better it can help make them more remembered but it depends I guess.

I think pretty much all retro reps are remembered. ROB himself was pretty revolutionary in the industry at least in the sense of saving it, The Laughing Dog is known just for notoriously being remembered for being that annoying dog that you just wanted to shoot after laughing after every miserable failure, Pit, like I said had quite a sizeable fandom for what it was or more specifically Kid Icarus as a whole. Ice Climbers are only really memorable through Smash and even then, their smash popularity could make up for their lack of popularity inside of their series especially after seeing the reaction of their SM4SH cut. Game and Watch is technically an outlier as while you could argue that he can be used to account for the game and watch system, if we are talking specifically character popularity then he can't really be considered. He isn't based on a single game and watch game and even if he was that wouldn't account for much and the concept of Mr Game and Watch himself is pretty much original to Smash whilst referencing minigames in pretty much every aspect of his moveset.
I wouldn't say obscurity means known to the general masses at least that well, but they can be, and probably are well remembered, like R.O.B. for example. Even if they aren't well known, a lot of people can use the internet and Youtube to look them up, nowadays. You probably knew that, though.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Before I forget...

I wouldn't say obscurity means known to the general masses at least that well, but they can be, and probably are well remembered, like R.O.B. for example. Even if they aren't well known, a lot of people can use the internet and Youtube to look them up, nowadays. You probably knew that, though.
Probably should have put unknown my bad. I'll edit it

Dukefire

Smash Master
Just because some coincidence point to a potential news update, it doesn't mean it will happen bullseye with the prediction.

I see that it might be like Thanos and Iron Man situation:
where one thinks they actually have it and turns out the other one under some or most people's noses holds the Smash invitation.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Hmm...the fact the new part was removed from the tab is certainly promising towards a reveal soon, especially with the Direct on the 20th rumors looking more and more like the real deal

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
On the Smash website's main page, they have links to the different sections of the site (Fighters, Stages, Music, etc.). When a new piece of content is added to the game, there's a little *NEW* icon in one of the top corners of the icon. As of right now, the *NEW* icon on the Fighters button has been removed. So far, whenever it gets removed, it means that there's a new fighter to be announced very soon.
I can see the "new icon" when I go check on Min-Min so I don´t get what people are talking about with the whole "missing thing"

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
For those that don't know, Andre is part of the GameXplain crew so yeah, looks like the water's roaring loudly now. CAN YA'LL HEAR THE MIDAS RIVER ROARING?!?!?!

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
For those that don't know, Andre is part of the GameXplain crew so yeah, looks like the water's roaring loudly now. CAN YA'LL HEAR THE MIDAS RIVER ROARING?!?!?!

Come on in and dance, just swing your partner round and round
Don't you be so shy ,now have some fun just don't look down
A Direct is coming, we'll see who's next soon
We are gonna fly straight to the moon
Don't be shy now, just dance around now
Just don't you, my friend, go and have a cow

Last edited:

Heoj

Smash Ace
Theres no point in arguing about relevancy. Is geno popular with non smash fans, no. Is geno popular with casual smash fans who are only here for pika pika bing bing wahoo yoshi, no. Is geno popular with invested smash fans, yes, and thats what matters.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I really don’t think the upcoming tennis event means anything as a hint. I’m sure we had similar occurrences in the past we didn’t have the results like ARMS anniversary, google theory, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
I can see the "new icon" when I go check on Min-Min so I don´t get what people are talking about with the whole "missing thing"
Try clearing your cache. Sometimes the Smash page just remains on an older version for me too, but there should be no "new" icons anymore.

MattX20

Smash Hero
The next few days are probably going to be full of Mario centric tweets/posts so keep your eyes peeled

Last edited:

Paraspikey

Smash Journeyman
A hint about as subtle as Chernobyl if Waluigi really is an upcoming reveal next week:

https://mobile.twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1282706520518430721
Though I do believe it's a likely case that we can get both Geno and Waluigi revealed as playable characters, Geno being 77, Waluigi being a one off bonus.

This has nothing to do with it

I will like to take note that this tourney is most likely for Mario Tennis's 20th, this isn't a "out of the blue" tourney, the game has been very popular and has gotten many tourney's, this one is just to celebrate the anniversary, and although the timing does line up well the direct, it likely means nothing and we shouldn't worry about.

Last edited:

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Though I do believe it's a likely case that we can get both Geno and Waluigi revealed as playable characters, Geno being 77, Waluigi being a one off bonus.

This has nothing to do with it

I will like to take note that this tourney is most likely for Mario Tennis's 20th, this isn't a "out of the blue" tourney, the game has been very popular and has gotten many tourney's, this one is just to celebrate the anniversary, and although the timing does line up well the direct, it likely means nothing and we shouldn't worry about.
But that's what I'm saying. It's a 20th Mario Tennis anniversary tournament coincidentally following the Direct. If it really is foreshadowing Waluigi, it's about as subtle as smashing your bare asscheeks on someone's windshield and, as you know, I'm a big fan of cheeky bull****.

MattX20

Smash Hero
But that's what I'm saying. It's a 20th Mario Tennis anniversary tournament coincidentally following the Direct. If it really is foreshadowing Waluigi, it's about as subtle as smashing your bare asscheeks on someone's windshield and, as you know, I'm a big fan of cheeky bull****.
Still, shouldn't we be more optimistic about Geno being #77?

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Tennis is getting a tournament, yes. But that has nothing to do if Waluigi gets in or not. If anniversaries are so important to them, why didn´t they reveal Byleth or revealing that they are adding in fan favorites like Black Knight or Lyn and revealed the rumored remakes on Fire Emblem 30th anniversary? Why didn´t they reveal that the supposed tribute for Iwata that you have talked about for a while when it was a 5 year anniversary for his passing a couple of days ago? Then we also have it that they didn´t reveal Min-Min on its 3 year anniversary. Hell, if my memory serves me right, they didn´t even make a big deal about Kirby on his 20 year anniversary and that pink ball is big enough to have his own restaurants over in Japan.

D

Deleted member

Most people in this thread fear Waluigi getting in over Geno.

While I am over here like:

I mean, some people don’t see 2 Mario characters in the same pass. There is no hard rule, but I think only one of them is getting in. As I mentioned in my other post, Sakurai said the last 6 characters will be it so I’m not really expecting any bonuses.

Last edited by a moderator:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
It's only on the main page of the Smash website that this happens, though. I think I remember it happening with Isabelle before she was revealed.

A hint about as subtle as Chernobyl if Waluigi really is an upcoming reveal next week:

https://mobile.twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1282706520518430721
I dunno, have tournaments typically coincided with a future reveals? If not, I wouldn't put too much stock in this.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I mean, some people don’t see 2 Mario characters in the same pass. There is no hard rule, but I think only one of them is getting in. As I mentioned in my other post, Sakurai said the last 6 characters will be it so I’m not really expecting any bonuses.
Honestly, I don't even think Geno's a Mario character. Think about it: Geno debuted in a Mario game, yes, but he's overall third party. The only reason he's considered a Mario character was that he just so happened to make his debut appearance in a game with Mario on the title, even when he's still owned by Square. Hell, if Geno was gonna be in Smash, he most likely wouldn't use the Mushroom usually found on most Mario reps. He could just use the Star Gate as his logo, like what I have in my PFP. Not to shoot this down, though, I'm bringing up this topic having no friggin' clue what to think of it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's only on the main page of the Smash website that this happens, though. I think I remember it happening with Isabelle before she was revealed.

I dunno, have tournaments typically coincided with a future reveals? If not, I wouldn't put too much stock in this.
There was an ARMS tournament announced like 3 days before ARMS was revealed I recently found out. Though I’m still not confident enough if Waluigi is in because of this.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Still, shouldn't we be more optimistic about Geno being #77?
Like I've been saying for awhile now, I think there's more at play than what's on the surface. Something else to consider... This is supposed to be a combination of the Mario and E3 presentations. Min Min was supposed to be revealed in the Spring Direct and released in April according to Amiibo leaks. Everything wound up getting pushed two months back. The next Amiibo wave is confirmed for September which means, like Hero, it was likely originally planned for July. Dear friends... What was supposed to be two months ago but didn't happen? The Mario presentation. This means that 7 and 8 were very likely to have similar releases to Hero and Banjo, July and September respectively because of the Mario presentation and the E3 presentation. Do you see what I'm getting at?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom