• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Is Geno E3 tier? Abso-****ing-lutely, are you kidding? People talk about relevancy, but in reality Geno only has one thing going for him, and that's popularity. He is not iconic, he is not important to gaming, he is not widely recognizable, and he is not even owned by Nintendo. The amount of popularity it takes to overcome all that is absurd. If Geno really is as popular as we think he is, popular enough to get in over the innumerable titans of gaming being discussed that have massive popularity ALONGSIDE also being well known, iconic, and important to gaming history, then by definition he would have to be far more than popular enough to be an E3 reveal. If we really believed that Geno wouldn't be popular enough to be an E3 reveal then we might as well pack up and go home because that's not enough for a character like him. I really think Geno is in, and if he is in, he will almost definitely be an E3 reveal.

Last edited:

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
So watching PapaGenos, supposedly the 14th also seems like an interesting date to keep an eye on

Not sure how likely this is, but could we see multiple presentations this July? One on the 14th and another on the 20th? We know we were supposed to get a Mario presentation of some kind that was cancelled. Wonder if we could still get one on the 14th and then have a more general direct on 20th or vice versa. I'm skeptical, but just a random thought. We shall see in the coming weeks (technically days)

Last edited:

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792
Is Geno E3 tier? Abso-****ing-lutely, are you kidding? People talk about relevancy, but in reality Geno only has one thing going for him, and that's popularity. He is not iconic, he is not important to gaming, he is not widely recognizable, and he is not even owned by Nintendo. The amount of popularity it takes to overcome all that is absurd. If Geno really is as popular as we think he is, popular enough to get in over the innumerable titans of gaming being discussed that have massive popularity ALONGSIDE also being well known, iconic, and important to gaming history, then by definition he would have to be far more than popular enough to be an E3 reveal. If we really believed that Geno wouldn't be popular enough to be an E3 reveal then we might as well pack up and go home because that's not enough for a character like him. I really think Geno is in, and if he is in, he will almost definitely be an E3 reveal.
Well this sure as heck got me all sorts of hyped! Nice post!

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Well said. I'm so sick and tired of people claiming we need some huge third party icon to be our E3 reveal. As long as a character has wide demand, that is enough for me to consider it an E3-tier character reveal.

millsfan

Smash Apprentice
Even if Nintendo doesn't take the disappointment into consideration and drop Shadow and Isaac into DLC, I hope that at the very least they've learned a lesson about marketing. Remember when Sakurai made that statement (I believe, it's a little foggy now) about how they'd revealed too many of the new fighters at once and wouldn't have much to show at the end? Many people thought he was lying or teasing. I know in that moment during the last reveal I was kinda upset with Sakurai, but thinking clearly now I genuinely feel sorry for him on that day: working himself too hard, them slipping up with their announcement schedule and knowing that he'd probably disappoint someone with the final two reveals... and then seeing people believing that he was lying and secretly had 5+ reveals waiting? Not to mention all the Grinch stuff painting the picture of what many people wanted and hoped for? He'd know right away that many people were going to be even more let down... and as a fellow creator, if I saw someone watching the reveal of my project that I'd worked on and then saw the light leave their eyes and all of their excitement drain away like that, I'd probably just go home and drag myself into bed for a few days. At least.

To be honest, Sakurai is a smart man, so I dont really understand that final smash reveal before the games launch at all. If anything, the September direct should have swapped with the November 1 direct. Why wait till the last direct to reconfirm some of the most requested assist trophy characters? And why have a final reveal with only 2 characters that aren’t that crazy? The September direct would’ve been better for a final direct I feel

Regarding this thread- I feel Geno could be the e3 character like banjo was last e3. Highly requested and in smash to please retro character fans. Doesn’t matter if he’s not in new games, he’s one of the top requested candidates, Sakurai himself has wanted to make him playable, and he also was a Mii outfit with a splash screen (and that’s missing). I think Geno is in for sure, but I could be wrong.

Sincerely a shadow fan that has been wrong for 2 games in a row thinking he would be playable

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
In my eyes the fact another character is revealed in and of itself makes them E3 worthy. Not a jab at Geno's popularity or anything of the sort, I'm just really not picky with Smash characters lol.

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
To be honest, Sakurai is a smart man, so I dont really understand that final smash reveal before the games launch at all. If anything, the September direct should have swapped with the November 1 direct. Why wait till the last direct to reconfirm some of the most requested assist trophy characters? And why have a final reveal with only 2 characters that aren’t that crazy? The September direct would’ve been better for a final direct I feel

Regarding this thread- I feel Geno could be the e3 character like banjo was last e3. Highly requested and in smash to please retro character fans. Doesn’t matter if he’s not in new games, he’s one of the top requested candidates, Sakurai himself has wanted to make him playable, and he also was a Mii outfit with a splash screen (and that’s missing). I think Geno is in for sure, but I could be wrong.

Sincerely a shadow fan that has been wrong for 2 games in a row thinking he would be playable
not even an alternate color

QQS

Smash Lord
Sakurai: Geno was actually a character I wanted to include as a fighter. He has a gun for an arm, and just seems like he'd fit absolutely perfectly into Smash.

I was hoping I'd be able to put him in as far back as Super Smash Bros. Brawl, but unfortunately that never ended up materializing.

Interviewer: And that's why you included him as a Mii Costume this time around?

Sakurai: Yes. He's incredibly popular. Even though he's an old character, we keep getting loads of votes and requests for us to put him in the game. Even though he still isn't in as a playable fighter, I made sure he'd be in as a Mii costume so his fans would at least feel that they got something.

Me: After that Cloud and Hero, biggest 2 franchises of Square Enix are already represented in Smash, the missing costume, the copyrighted songs made by NINTENDO, the Smash Legacy takedown, the back to basic roots Ultimate has, the fan demand already fulfilled here with many icons, the moveset variations that Fighter Pass characters are having (like uniqueness Geno’s timed hits will be), the fact that base game Spirits officially do NOT deconfirm, the 2 decades demand and the acknowledge of the BOSS himself: you have to be blind if you don’t believe that GENO is indeed joining this party after 24 years :)

(There are also even many more hints towards his inclusion. Nintendo are aware of this demand and there are no obstacles for Square to prevent Geno joining Smash now...)

01C12D71-76AC-47AE-AF6C-0AE3BCD9EAAF.jpeg

Credits on the photo to alemerltoucanet.

Remember that QQS always has a 100% belief for Geno chances to join the battle! You will realize why I was/I am always so sure about him when he indeed appears on the CGI.

Griselda

Smash Lord

I think someone (Maybe Fatman, but I'm not sure and don't wanna put words in his mouth) said that Sakurai/Nintendo at that point genuinely believed that seeing characters as Assists/Mii outfits would make their fanbases happy, and that they were surprised at the reactions. I believe the post in question speculated that Banjo was already in development, and that the whole Grinch thing could've made the development team take a closer look at the other characters in the 'leak'.

I'd be willing to bet money that's SEGA insisting he only be varying shades of blue.
This, probably. It's probably a similar situation to Pac-Man's alts, where an outright recolor wouldn't be allowed because it'd be seen as tarnishing the brand representation, or something to that extent. ..But if that's the case, why wouldn't they then go for an Alph/Koopalings situation where Shadow/Ms. Pac-Man act as alternate skins with different voices and names? Y'know, if, for whatever reason, they didn't want to make them actual echoes or full fighters.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
I'd be willing to bet money that's SEGA insisting he only be varying shades of blue.
I've heard that SEGA has really specific rules about how Shadow is allowed to be portrayed, and apparently vetoed a bunch of scripts featuring Shadow in the Sonic Boom cartoon (although I believe he's in there now). One rule is that Shadow isn't allowed to be made fun of, and another (as I recall) is that he isn't actually allowed to beat Sonic (and vice versa? I don't remember).

D

Deleted member

I have awoken from hibernation.

Also can someone put a Geno hat on this (sorry for the big image)?

QQS

Smash Lord
The new papagenos papagenos video is nice. So the options for these characters maybe are:

Both playable
Waluigi playable + Geno Mii deluxe
Geno playable + Waluigi stays as an Asssit
Waluigi Assist + Geno Mii deluxe

Or course I would root for both playable BUT if I have to choose, without a doubt Geno playable + Waluigi remains an Assist (would be nice as #77) and then Crash as #78.

A DLC challenger pack for Geno makes a lot more sense for me. Bringing Geno, Forest maze or Vista hills, 2 or more songs and some spirits. Also Waluigi makes a lot of sense as a Bonus character, just add him as the Plant and problem solved ( no stage, no more music and no spirits for him). Fan demand fulfilled with Geno as DLC. Everyone would be happy and Mario saga would be done in Smash.

Pretty sure Geno is happening, though.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
"Waluigi Birthday Theory"

I think anything dealing with anniversaries has been shot dead considering the ARMs anniversary was less than a week before when they put out the min Min video.

D

Deleted member

The new papagenos papagenos video is nice. So the options for these characters maybe are:

Both playable

Or course I would root for both playable BUT if I have to choose, without a doubt Geno playable + Waluigi remains an Assist (would be nice as #77) and then Crash as #78.

A DLC challenger pack for Geno makes a lot more sense for me. Bringing Geno, Forest maze or Vista hills, 2 or more songs and some spirits. Also Waluigi makes a lot of sense as a Bonus character, just add him as the Plant and problem solved ( no stage, no more music and no spirits for him). Fan demand fulfilled with Geno as DLC. Everyone would be happy and Mario saga would be done in Smash.

I agree. I don’t mind Waluigi being in, but I think there is a good chance he would be a red herring. I think Geno has a lot more going for him bias aside. Bonus characters, I’m not expecting it. As far as I know, Sakurai has gone on record saying the last 6 fighters are going to be it and nothing else is planned.

Last edited by a moderator:

axel_

Smash Journeyman
We've been talking about just how similar Geno and Snufkin are in the Star Road Discord, and that if a SMRPG remake had voice acting one of Snufkin's voice actors would fit great for Geno.
I'm not the only one that thinks both of these characters radiate the exact same energy, right?

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
We've been talking about just how similar Geno and Snufkin are in the Star Road Discord, and that if a SMRPG remake had voice acting one of Snufkin's voice actors would fit great for Geno.
I'm not the only one that thinks both of these characters radiate the exact same energy, right?

He looks like if Geno became a real boy.

Powerman293

Smash Ace

I don't think any of these would be a fit. They're all too deep. Even the Japanese one which is the closest I think wouldn't work.

MisterMike

Smash Champion

Both playable

As sick as it would be to get both Geno and Waluigi at the same time, I feel if we're to get any of them during this potential Direct, it's more likely we'll only get one of the two as opposed to both. And of those two, I'm hedging my bets on Geno simply because of how much there is going for him compared. Now that's not to say I don't think Waluigi doesn't have a shot, it just feels to me like he'd be kept for later in the pass as a way to end the whole thing off with a bang.

So, if I had to rate this potential outcome in terms of likelihood...
  1. Geno revealed as CP7 with Waluigi revealed later down the line as either FP10 or FP11, or later if they decide to make more DLC fighters
  2. Geno & Waluigi revealed as CP7 & CP8, respectively
  3. Waluigi as CP7 with Geno as a Mii Costume
  4. No Waluigi and Geno as a Mii Costume
  5. Neither get in as anything

Last edited:

QQS

Smash Lord
Okay new mini game.

You gather the Dragon Balls and you have 3 wishes. What do you ask? Only rule: it has to be Smash related.

I start:

1) Geno playable.
2) Zero (from Mega Man X) or Skull Kid. Would take time for me to decide between those 2 I also love. (Geno is the higher of course).
3) Eternal life to Sakurai so he can rest, play more videogames and enjoy more freetime with his family. Basically a “thank you for life” for creating the best game ever.

Griselda

Smash Lord

I'd be okay with Geno using either of the 90s Snufkin voices. I don't really think they sound too deep at all - The body that Geno's inhabiting is a child's toy, but that doesn't mean he's a child, himself. The delivery could be different, but I don't think Geno needs a particularly high-pitched voice. The highest I'd go is like Revali's English voice, which I've mentioned thinking might fit for Geno, before.

Heoj

Smash Ace

Where i live the muumipeikko series is pretty damn big and nuuskamuikkunen(snufkin) was always my favorite character and he really gives off heavy geno vibes!

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Has any character even gone DOWN in popularity in its time being asked for Smash? I'm thinking Paper Mario is the first time I've seen this.
I'd say pretty much any popular Fire Emblem character since the series has been seen as over-represented by a majority of the community. Now I'm a young zoomer so I can't speak firsthand, but I've heard that Lyn was quite popular back in the day.

Unfortunately, a lot of the popular Fire Emblem characters are drowned out in speculation nowadays due to what I said before. So yeah, I'd say that fits your description (and I imagine Paper Mario veterans who dislike the games' newer directions wouldn't want him too much since it is more likely the moveset would be based off of the newer titles).

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
There's a button right in front of you.

If you press it, Geno will instantly become playable. No waiting for that July Direct, he's playable right now.

The catch? He has voice acting... and he's voiced by Mr. Lawrence. And in case you don't know who Mr. Lawrence is, here's a hint...

... so do you press the button?

Powerman293

Smash Ace
I'd say pretty much any popular Fire Emblem character since the series has been seen as over-represented by a majority of the community. Now I'm a young zoomer so I can't speak firsthand, but I've heard that Lyn was quite popular back in the day.

Unfortunately, a lot of the popular Fire Emblem characters are drowned out in speculation nowadays due to what I said before. So yeah, I'd say that fits your description (and I imagine Paper Mario veterans who dislike the games' newer directions wouldn't want him too much since it is more likely the moveset would be based off of the newer titles).
I always assumed Lyn stayed at the same popularity, but the Smash community has grown so much since then, that Lyn support has looked like it's shrunken when it's stayed the same.

Griselda

Smash Lord
Okay new mini game.

You gather the Dragon Balls and you have 3 wishes. What do you ask? Only rule: it has to be Smash related.

I start:

1) Geno playable.
2) Zero (from Mega Man X) or Skull Kid. Would take time for me to decide between those 2 I also love. (Geno is the higher of course).
3) Eternal life to Sakurai so he can rest, play more videogames and enjoy more freetime with his family. Basically a “thank you for life” for creating the best game ever.
#1 Geno as a fighter in Smash (Just wait for the "This wish cannot be granted, because the one called Geno is already on his way.", which might change things but we'll get back to that.)
#2 Smash Ultimate receives a WoL Expansion/Second Adventure Mode that's Subspace 2 in all but name, complete with several cutscenes of the various fighters interacting, as well as platforming/metroidvania stages.
#3 Okay.. this is the one where I try to help out Isaac's fans while also making sure Shadow gets in, but Porunga probably says something like 'you can only wish for one specific fighter to be brought back to life revealed in Smash at a time.' So we'll have to pull an 'everyone killed by Frieza and his men' loophole and wish for everyone from the Grinch Leak who hasn't already shown up, so we don't end up with a duplicate Banjo or something weird like that.

In the case that the first Geno wish doesn't work because he's already preparing for release, then this third wish becomes my first wish, instead. And since that takes care of everyone, basically, I don't feel bad about being selfish and wishing for...Alys from Phantasy Star 4 as my final wish. Because I feel like a cutter/boomerang as a full moveset rather than just a special like Link's would be pretty unique and might bring a lot to Smash.

And I say we just give Sakurai a vacation or expand his team enough that he isn't overworked as much. Giving him eternal life might get messy, later on.

D

Deleted member

Okay new mini game.

I start:

1) Geno playable.
1. Geno is playable

2. Crash is playable

3. More single player content like Break the Targets, WoL expansion, a proper all star mode, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
My most wanted list after the last couple of days.
View attachment 278263
That´s a big OOF. While I didn´t love TTYD when it came out, it´s great that the game seems to be in some kind of rennaisance even before TOK was announced.
Okay new mini game.

I start:

1) Geno playable.
Geno is great.
Why you do my boy X dirty like that?
He deserves heaven, that man.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
There's a button right in front of you.

If you press it, Geno will instantly become playable. No waiting for that July Direct, he's playable right now.

The catch? He has voice acting... and he's voiced by Mr. Lawrence. And in case you don't know who Mr. Lawrence is, here's a hint...

... so do you press the button?
My answer to this question:
https://youtu.be/JmL-47bMyjY

D

Deleted member

There was some compilation thread where a user here made a whole list of them. I can’t find it on mobile right now, but if you copy the URL of some of them and do a reverse google image search, you should be able to find the thread. If I can find it later I can DM you! They’re really neat and there’s a pretty long list of them.
Welp, I've tried reverse searching the image, came up with nothing. Mind sending me that DM?

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
I know this is a little late response but I've always had a hunch that Sakurai/Nintendo wanted to beat the leakers, especially after Brawl and 3DS were constantly having problems with this kind of thing, the latter even having ESRB of all places leak.

Edit: Anyone else here on mobile? Does smashboards mobile give you guys this much of a headache between reading and writing posts with this choppy kind of lag?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom