• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Anyway, I don't know how we got to relevancy and E3 stuff. My main point was that even with all the evidence in his favor, that would not guarantee that Geno would necessarily be next as a character reveal. Try not to get your hopes up, guys, just in case.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
You will be surprised by how popular Banjo is in Japan. The duo even over shined Hero in terms of "hype" on Japanese twitter for a good chunk of time
Yeah I've seen some Japanese reactions and it was surprising for the Japanese audience to get more hyped for Banjo then a Dragon Quest character, but I still feel like Banjo is far popular here in the West then anywhere else. Sure, Japan was hyped for Banjo, but that hype doesn't come even remotely close to the hype their was here.

Super Flygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Master_Zach
3DS FC
1289-8257-7574
Switch FC
SW-5750-9817-6593
Definitely could see Geno being FP 7, and if he is, I can certainly see a scenario in which he was intended to be shown at E3 (likely to close Nintendo's E3 Direct). Still kind of hard to tell though because we still don't know how much covid impacted development. Geno is definitely an E3 character, much like the likes of Ridley and Banjo.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
I guess I can kinda understand people may not agree that Geno is e3 material but tend to forget:

Geno has been highly requested, acknowledged by the Smash creator himself.

His Mii costume in 4 was a big highlight, no other costume treated like it.

Banjo, an “irrelevant” character from a series that died off was an e3 presentation.

Nintendo directs are watched by Nintendo fans ... so the idea that “casuals wouldn’t consider Geno as E3 Nintendo direct material” doesn’t make sense since the major fans watch these, not just your “average” Nintendo player that just buys Nintendo games like Mario since they know the brand.

I feel like people are thinking to highly of E3 reveals. Heck, mii fighters were an E3 reveal and that’s considered “worthy?”

Droodle

Smash Lord
The more that I have been thinking about it, the more I think that the inclusion of Geno would benefit both Nintendo and Square greatly. Think about it.

I know Geno is an irrelevant character that Nintendo or Square are doing absolutely nothing with, but everything sorta falls in line perfectly. This year is Mario's 35th anniversary and I guarantee we will be in for at least some Mario related announcement at this July Direct. I know some may think that Waluigi would be more logical since he is more iconic, BUT one of the big Mario anniversary titles that we know of as of right now is Paper Mario: The Origami King. Paper Mario is an RPG franchise starring Mario. Wouldn't it make sense to include some sort of character from a Mario RPG? Geno would make sense because he is a highly demanded character that has caught the attention of Sakurai. I can easily see Sakurai explaining the history of Super Mario RPG in a Mr. Sakurai Presents talking about how Super Mario RPG paved the way for Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi. Everything just fits so well.

Now, about how this could be beneficial for Square. Their have been quite some many rumors of Square Enix games coming to the Switch like the Tomb Raider Collection and that Kingdom Hearts spin-off, and I believe one of these two games will be shown off at this July Direct. Also, don't forget we also have Bravely Default II coming out soon and (I believe?) it is a Switch exclusive game. AND combine the fact that our two latest Spirit Events both come from Square Enix properties, which to me, all but confirms Square isn't done with Smash just yet.

Basically what I'm saying is, Geno would be very beneficial for both Nintendo and Square because their is a damn good chance that this July Direct we are going to have will have a huge focus on both Mario and Square Enix. As such, revealing a Square Enix-owned Mario character would tie everything up perfectly and would fit really well for this Direct. Thats why I am so damn confident in Geno being playable, because not only do we have all this circumstantial evidence in his favor, but everything just lines up so perfectly.
I get what you're saying, and I agree with some portions of it but I think that a lot of it is mostly just feels like assurance rather than a argument.

I agree that since Paper Mario is getting a game soon it would make sense to pick someone from a Mario RPG over Waluigi (but again, it doesn't even have to get anything at all in Smash), but at the same time; I think Nintendo realizes that the fanbase of the SMRPG and modern Paper Mario at this point is completely different. Obviously there is still some crossover between the two franchises, but if Nintendo really wanted to put in a character from a Mario RPG to link to the Origami King release, I feel like Paper Mario would have the best shot to make it in over someone like Geno or Waluigi. Sure he doesn't have the fan demand of either character, but in terms of "advertising" it makes the most sense to do currently.

And your argument for why it makes sense for Square Enix isn't the best either. It just boils down to the fact that Square Enix is putting games on the Switch and that they had 2 spirit events. Square is a long time partner, and the Switch is a pretty successful console so of course they're going to put games on the Switch, it's not a recent thing either; they've put a couple dozen titles on the Switch since 2017. And the fact that they have gotten spirit events doesn't even have to mean that we're getting a full blown fighter out of it, for all we know the rest of Square's involvement in Smash could just be more spirits for there B tier franchises. Likewise the fact that we got a extra Capcom Spirit Event, or that we got an Arc Sys Spirit Event doesn't really mean we're getting another Capcom character or Sol Badguy in Smash. Does it increase their chances? Maybe. But even if it does, I wouldn't call those characters practically confirmed right now.

So really all the circumstantial evidence and "lining up of the pieces" really isn't any different from where we were at, at the start of this year. Geno's still likely, but all biases aside he doesn't have a massive leak that makes him "practically guaranteed" like Hero or Terry did.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
I do tend to think a square character is next, or 8 since we’ve had two recent square spirit events and one that’s lasting longer than usual. Does that mean it automatically means the next fighter? No. But probably more likely? Heck yeah.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Yeah I've seen some Japanese reactions and it was surprising for the Japanese audience to get more hyped for Banjo then a Dragon Quest character, but I still feel like Banjo is far popular here in the West then anywhere else. Sure, Japan was hyped for Banjo, but that hype doesn't come even remotely close to the hype their was here.
And I can say that I don´t really see how "European support" being bigger to be perfectly frank. If you only knew how many people that does not even know about him.

So really all the circumstantial evidence and "lining up of the pieces" really isn't any different from where we were at, at the start of this year. Geno's still likely, but all biases aside he doesn't have a massive leak that makes him "practically guaranteed" like Hero or Terry did.
Pretty much this

Nicnac

Smash Ace
I do tend to think a square character is next, or 8 since we’ve had two recent square spirit events and one that’s lasting longer than usual. Does that mean it automatically means the next fighter? No. But probably more likely? Heck yeah.
I think it shows that Square Enix is obviously not done with Smash Ultimate just as well as the Missing Mii costumes, which could be chalked up to licensing (doubt it though). It shows they're in for the long haul, in my eyes.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Please elaborate on how the 2 Square Enix spirit event back to back is an indication and not "wishful thinking"...

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
I like how I said it doesn’t mean it automatically a next fighter but could. Very different to have such almost back to back Spirit events fema. Company and one that is lasting longer than usual. But again, does not equal guaranteed next fighter. Kinda like the Nintendo article earlier about production you need to read things more carefully bro. I know i tend to skim things. I’m definitely guilty of that.

Also, CannonStreak CannonStreak , it’s all good, that’s how things are discussed. We are not a simple echo chamber as others label Geno fans of.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I get what you're saying, and I agree with some portions of it but I think that a lot of it is mostly just feels like assurance rather than a argument.

I agree that since Paper Mario is getting a game soon it would make sense to pick someone from a Mario RPG over Waluigi (but again, it doesn't even have to get anything at all in Smash), but at the same time; I think Nintendo realizes that the fanbase of the SMRPG and modern Paper Mario at this point is completely different. Obviously there is still some crossover between the two franchises, but if Nintendo really wanted to put in a character from a Mario RPG to link to the Origami King release, I feel like Paper Mario would have the best shot to make it in over someone like Geno or Waluigi. Sure he doesn't have the fan demand of either character, but in terms of "advertising" it makes the most sense to do currently.

And your argument for why it makes sense for Square Enix isn't the best either. It just boils down to the fact that Square Enix is putting games on the Switch and that they had 2 spirit events. Square is a long time partner, and the Switch is a pretty successful console so of course they're going to put games on the Switch, it's not a recent thing either; they've put a couple dozen titles on the Switch since 2017. And the fact that they have gotten spirit events doesn't even have to mean that we're getting a full blown fighter out of it, for all we know the rest of Square's involvement in Smash could just be more spirits for there B tier franchises. Likewise the fact that we got a extra Capcom Spirit Event, or that we got an Arc Sys Spirit Event doesn't really mean we're getting another Capcom character or Sol Badguy in Smash. Does it increase their chances? Maybe. But even if it does, I wouldn't call those characters practically confirmed right now.

Yeah that makes sense. Just to clarify, however, I'm not saying that just because Square has games coming to the Switch doesn't necessarily mean it hints at Smash, because that argument has been memed to death at this point. The point I was trying to make however, is that this supposed July Direct lines up perfectly with a lot of Mario 35 anniversary and Square Enix games coming to the Switch rumors that we have been hearing for quite some time, and if this Direct is going to have a huge focus on both Mario and Square Enix, I feel it makes complete sense to include a Square-owned Mario character, since everything just lines up so perfectly. But I see where you're coming from.

QQS

Smash Lord
7D15C47D-A0A6-4D45-875A-6F332A1D53E9.png

BE91C205-C0E0-407A-99C7-F8AF54B3C9FA.png

Just sharing the images of Geno in the video of Source Gaming where Geno gets number #2.

Now direct words from those news on this page:

Source Gaming’s March 2020 poll considered responses from 4,327 players, who submitted the names of 1,423 unique characters. Voters were asked to give an unordered list of six characters they wanted to see in Smash. Of course, this was to match the six characters that will come in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate‘s second Fighters Pass. Thus, the results of the poll record how many votes each individual character received.

The full results show the rankings for all 1,000+ characters ranked by voters. However, here are the top 25 from the poll, all of which got over 200 votes:
  1. Crash (Crash Bandicoot)
  2. Geno (Super Mario RPG)
  3. Doom Guy (Doom)
  4. Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
  5. Dante (Devil May Cry)
  6. Rayman (Rayman)
  7. Steve / Alex (Minecraft)
  8. Master Chief (Halo)
  9. Bandana Waddle Dee (Kirby)
  10. Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney)
  11. Reimu (Touhou)
  12. Waluigi (Super Mario)
  13. Shantae (Shantae)
  14. Travis Touchdown (No More Heroes)
  15. Isaac (Golden Sun)
  16. Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong Country)
  17. 2B (Nier)
  18. Rex & Pyra (Xenoblade)
  19. Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)
  20. Arle Nadja (Puyo Puyo)
  21. Spyro (Spyro)
  22. The Knight (Hollow Knight)
  23. Lloyd Irving (Tales)
  24. Heavy (Team Fortress 2)
  25. Dr. Eggman (Sonic the Hedgehog)

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
If anything, no matter when he comes in the pass, if he does come, I bet Geno is more likely than any other Square-Enix character as their next fighter, since; you know; Sakurai has wanted him before.

Nicnac

Smash Ace
If anything, no matter when he comes in the pass, if he does come, I bet Geno is more likely than any other Square-Enix character as their next fighter, since; you know; Sakurai has wanted him before.
To be fair, that didn't stop Sakurai from going for Hero and Cloud before, although I think it helps Geno's case that Squenix's two biggest franchises are now in.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
To be fair, that didn't stop Sakurai from going for Hero and Cloud before, although I think it helps Geno's case that Squenix's two biggest franchises are now in.
I think Sakurai did actually wanted to do characters from each Square and Enix's flagship franchises first, if I am not mistaken.

Also, before I forget; J JarBear thanks for that. I appreciate it.

Last edited:

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
Hey all!
I saw yous had some questions about the Discord link going dark, but we do have a new invite link to Star Road! I've updated it in my signature, with an edit to the thread's original post coming soon. So excited to possibly anticipate the return of our star-studded seraph!
starroad3d.png

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
View attachment 278246
View attachment 278247

Just sharing the images of Geno in the video of Source Gaming where Geno gets number #2.

Now direct words from those news on this page:

Source Gaming’s March 2020 poll considered responses from 4,327 players, who submitted the names of 1,423 unique characters. Voters were asked to give an unordered list of six characters they wanted to see in Smash. Of course, this was to match the six characters that will come in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate‘s second Fighters Pass. Thus, the results of the poll record how many votes each individual character received.

The full results show the rankings for all 1,000+ characters ranked by voters. However, here are the top 25 from the poll, all of which got over 200 votes:

1. Crash (Crash Bandicoot)
  2. Geno (Super Mario RPG)
  3. Doom Guy (Doom)
  4. Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
  5. Dante (Devil May Cry)
  6. Rayman (Rayman)
  7. Steve / Alex (Minecraft)
  8. Master Chief (Halo)
  9. Bandana Waddle Dee (Kirby)
  10. Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney)
  11. Reimu (Touhou)
  12. Waluigi (Super Mario)
  13. Shantae (Shantae)
  14. Travis Touchdown (No More Heroes)
  15. Isaac (Golden Sun)
  16. Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong Country)
  17. 2B (Nier)
  18. Rex & Pyra (Xenoblade)
  19. Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)
  20. Arle Nadja (Puyo Puyo)
  21. Spyro (Spyro)
  22. The Knight (Hollow Knight)
  23. Lloyd Irving (Tales)
  24. Heavy (Team Fortress 2)
  25. Dr. Eggman (Sonic the Hedgehog)
It brings a huge smile to my face to see my two most wanteds at the top spots. These people have great tastes.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
It brings a huge smile to my face to see my two most wanteds at the top spots. These people have great tastes.
No kidding about that. It reminds me of how I wanted both K. Rool and Wolf in the last game, and it seems they were number one and number two respectively, if I recall correctly.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
So, I checked the vault for stuff to buy, and imagine my surprise that Mallow was purchasable. I believe that's the first time that I've seen a summonable spirit purchasable.

SOOOOO, that is UNDENIABLE PROOF THAT summonable spirits can be purchased.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Yep, we will reach 2950 in the next day or two. The question on my mind is how close to 3000 we will be by the time we reach the 20th

MisterMike

Smash Champion
So I guess PapaGenos and a bunch of other people are doing a Fighters Pass Vol. 2 poll.

Griselda

Smash Lord
Another reminder that a random child my mother taught at a school she was at 10+ years ago was doodling Geno and listing his moves on a sheet of paper. And that I picked up a copy of SMRPG from an old video game store when I was a kid. People just tend to find Geno, and he's not this obscure character that only Smash fans know about. The fact that SMRPG has been rereleased so many times almost ensures that there are many people who are fans of Geno but don't even play Smash.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
So I guess PapaGenos and a bunch of other people are doing a Fighters Pass Vol. 2 poll.
Yeah I already took part in this poll. Hopefully we can get the whole squad in here to vote so we can prove to people we aren't just an echo chamber

QQS

Smash Lord
Another reminder that a random child my mother taught at a school she was at 10+ years ago was doodling Geno and listing his moves on a sheet of paper. And that I picked up a copy of SMRPG from an old video game store when I was a kid. People just tend to find Geno, and he's not this obscure character that only Smash fans know about. The fact that SMRPG has been rereleased so many times almost ensures that there are many people who are fans of Geno but don't even play Smash.
Thats right. A lot probably know and love Geno but not even play Smash; or not even are active on online stuff like SmashBoards, Twitter, Instagram or YouTube.

But I believe most of the Geno fans love him and play Smash. Plus, want him playable :)

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Not to be that guy, but that may depend on how many people are there, or were interested in playing the releases of those games. Not everyone will play the game again or know who Geno is. The number may be small, and even if it is bigger than that, I doubt the number of those who know who Geno is that large to begin with.

Droodle

Smash Lord
Yeah that makes sense. Just to clarify, however, I'm not saying that just because Square has games coming to the Switch doesn't necessarily mean it hints at Smash, because that argument has been memed to death at this point. The point I was trying to make however, is that this supposed July Direct lines up perfectly with a lot of Mario 35 anniversary and Square Enix games coming to the Switch rumors that we have been hearing for quite some time, and if this Direct is going to have a huge focus on both Mario and Square Enix, I feel it makes complete sense to include a Square-owned Mario character, since everything just lines up so perfectly. But I see where you're coming from.
There is really no reason to believe that we're going to get tons of Square-Enix information in this direct though, really the only thing that is "practically confirmed" is that we're definitely going to see Bravely Default 2 in the direct, but everything else is a huge ???

Tomb Raider Collection: Mostly just a rumor and I don't think any insider has actually backed it up. Not to mention that it was "leaked" on 4chan, with a date of August 27th which is not a lot of time to advertise it. It also is presumably a collection of all Tomb Raider games and I have a hard time believing that the Switch can run the modern ones decently well. On top of that, even if there is a multiplatform collection it seems unlikely that they would choose a Nintendo direct to announce it when it's primarily a Playstation/Xbox series now. More likely that its fake.

KH Rhythm Game: It's really a 50/50, we know it's coming this year so its possible to show it off at the direct but at the same time they may just skip the direct and show it off at something like TGS in September because KH has a habit of showing up there. It was just announced in June though, and it's safe to say that it likely wasn't planned to be shown off in the original June direct, but rather the concert and Square's own presentation. So it's completely possible to for it to not show up. On top of that, I'm pretty sure Disney/Nomura decide when/where KH trailers drop so it's not even a Square Enix decision at that point

TWEWY 2: Probably a 2021+ game so it would be weird to see it getting announced this early, unless Square/Nintendo want to advertise it a lot in the next year or so.

Again, aside from a bunch of unconfirmed rumors and "what-ifs" I don't really see the next direct being Square dominated, unless I'm missing a couple games I think it's just Bravely Default 2.

Griselda

Smash Lord
Not to be that guy, but that may depend on how many people are there, or were interested in playing the releases of those games. Not everyone will play the game again or know who Geno is. The number may be small, and even if it is bigger than that, I doubt the number of those who know who Geno is that large to begin with.
..So whenever someone presents points about Geno not being very obscure, you're just going to go "No, actually, he is"? There's really no point in arguing with you, in that case.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Found some Mario fanart (renders) again that I thought the thread would enjoy due to the appearance of some familiar characters.

20200712_224727.jpg

Last edited:

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
There is really no reason to believe that we're going to get tons of Square-Enix information in this direct though, really the only thing that is "practically confirmed" is that we're definitely going to see Bravely Default 2 in the direct, but everything else is a huge ???

Tomb Raider Collection: Mostly just a rumor and I don't think any insider has actually backed it up. Not to mention that it was "leaked" on 4chan, with a date of August 27th which is not a lot of time to advertise it. It also is presumably a collection of all Tomb Raider games and I have a hard time believing that the Switch can run the modern ones decently well. On top of that, even if there is a multiplatform collection it seems unlikely that they would choose a Nintendo direct to announce it when it's primarily a Playstation/Xbox series now. More likely that its fake.

KH Rhythm Game: It's really a 50/50, we know it's coming this year so its possible to show it off at the direct but at the same time they may just skip the direct and show it off at something like TGS in September because KH has a habit of showing up there. It was just announced in June though, and it's safe to say that it likely wasn't planned to be shown off in the original June direct, but rather the concert and Square's own presentation. So it's completely possible to for it to not show up. On top of that, I'm pretty sure Disney/Nomura decide when/where KH trailers drop so it's not even a Square Enix decision at that point

TWEWY 2: Probably a 2021+ game so it would be weird to see it getting announced this early, unless Square/Nintendo want to advertise it a lot in the next year or so.

Again, aside from a bunch of unconfirmed rumors and "what-ifs" I don't really see the next direct being Square dominated, unless I'm missing a couple games I think it's just Bravely Default 2.
Isn't too that Nintendo told 3rd parties to hold off on submitting direct announcements till later in the fall? If so, the July Direct probably won't have much 3rd party stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom