• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I still think Cacomallow is real
Cacomallow looks really pretty clean I must say. Looks more official than any other Mii costume mod I had ever seen. I would wait a little longer to see if the leak really pans out.

Last edited by a moderator:

RedMachine123

Smash Apprentice
So, has any summonable spirit ever been involved in a spirit event?
I just looked it up on the Smash wiki:
Summon is an option within the Collection tab of the Spirits single-player mode that allows players to summon certain spirits with cores obtained by sending spirits home in the Dismiss menu. Some spirits are only obtainable through this method, meaning the only way to collect the total number of spirits is to Summon some of them. Previously Summoned spirits may later appear on the Spirit Board, and others can be encountered in World of Light without needing to summon them first. There are 133 summonable spirits and 91 of them are summon-exclusive.

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
Me, seeing people put geno on the realistic fighter pass
images (84).jpeg

Realistically it would be another pokemon dlc, one tencent ip, crash, lloyd or someone from namco and a sega character.
Here with more art!
View attachment 276626

Also I found another user on Twitter who makes panoramic art with all of the Smash fighters!
View attachment 276627
As I always say, this kind of art looks fricken awesome. I love the more cartoonish/chibi style and would even consider buying this (alas, unfortunately the official panoramic art is still king).

Link to artist:
https://twitter.com/MikeLuckas/status/1277420353283743744?s=09
I love this art,one thing I miss from og smash 64 is the art style from the manual!

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I don't think he's all that unlikely. Ridley, K Rool, and Banjo prove that fan demand gets characters in now and again. I could see the same thing happen with Geno. Though it is of course worth noting that Geno has more working against him than the aforementioned characters. Kinda 50/50 whether we'll get him or not, imo

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
View attachment 276643

Realistically it would be another pokemon dlc, one tencent ip, crash, lloyd or someone from namco and a sega character.

I love this art,one thing I miss from og smash 64 is the art style from the manual!
So you think Geno isn't realistic but a TENCENT character is.

Thank u kanye, very cool

Last edited:

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
Literally what is tencent even?!
Ahem. Forgive me. Who is a tencent and what do they do?

Last edited:

Nicnac

Smash Ace
Literally what is tencent even?!
Ahem. Forgive me. Who is a tencent and what do they do?
Chinese company with a lot of money, very very shady activities, and have at least a small stake in pretty much everywhere.

They completely own Riot Games (League and Valorant) and have pretty big stakes in Epic Games, Ubisoft and Activision Blizzard. Basically, the League of Legends leak circles back to them, as they own Riot.

Shado-will

Smash Journeyman
I would play Tales Of Vesperia but I heard It was released only on Gamecube (a console which I don't own and which games are extremely rare where I live sadly).

If there's another way to play it let me know doh.
Tales of Vesperia wasn't on the GameCube. I think came out first on the Xbox 360, surprisingly. It got a definitive edition on the Switch last year I think.

Edit: I love Yuri and I don't know if I want him or Lloyd in Smash

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
View attachment 276643

People were saying the same thing about how ridiculous it was to assume Ridley, K. Rool, and Banjo & Kazooie were likely yet they got in. Most of us are having lock fever, and we only get that when we know for sure said character is coming. My gut told me K. Rool was coming and it was right. My gut told me Banjo & Kazooie was coming and it was right. My gut is currently telling me Geno is coming and again I believe it is right.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So with Min Min releasing today, will they be announcing a new spirit board or tournament tomorrow like usual?
Probably Min Min's tournament.

So, thinking on things, Nintendo told third parties to start sending them Direct stuff in September which means the Fall Direct probably isn't September this year and likely October at the earliest. That said, it's already hard hinted that a character is meant to release in September, further locking in that 7 will probably be a July announcement.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
I would play Tales Of Vesperia but I heard It was released only on Gamecube (a console which I don't own and which games are extremely rare where I live sadly).

If there's another way to play it let me know doh.
I’m sure someone else said this already but you’re thinking of Tales of Symphonia. Vesperia was never on the Cube, it was PS3 originally I believe and got a Switch remaster a year or two ago

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I’m sure someone else said this already but you’re thinking of Tales of Symphonia. Vesperia was never on the Cube, it was PS3 originally I believe and got a Switch remaster a year or two ago
As the resident Tales man, Vesparia was on 360 first then very shortly after a PS3 one was out in Japan only that had extra content.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Probably Min Min's tournament.

So, thinking on things, Nintendo told third parties to start sending them Direct stuff in September which means the Fall Direct probably isn't September this year and likely October at the earliest. That said, it's already hard hinted that a character is meant to release in September, further locking in that 7 will probably be a July announcement.
The question at this point is when/where in July said reveal announcement takes place if the two dates of the 6th and 14th aren't accurate

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Odds are that Min Min releases late tonight. Who knew that when June began and people joked that the new character would be available on the last day of June would turn out to be practically correct?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The question at this point is when/where in July said reveal announcement takes place if the two dates of the 6th and 14th aren't accurate
Probably at the end of the month as Mariomaniac45213 Mariomaniac45213 pointed out before, Nintendo sure does love to drop big events like Smash presentations or Directs at the end of the month. Imagine waiting for Geno's announcement until all the way of the end of August.

Odds are that Min Min releases late tonight. Who knew that when June began and people joked that the new character would be available on the last day of June would turn out to be practically correct?
Megadoomer Megadoomer said Min Min will most likely drop later tonight around 7:00PM/9:00 PM US Eastern Time.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Probably at the end of the month as Mariomaniac45213 Mariomaniac45213 pointed out before, Nintendo sure does love to drop big events like Smash presentations or Directs at the end of the month. Imagine waiting for Geno's announcement until all the way of the end of August.

Megadoomer Megadoomer said Min Min will most likely drop later tonight around 7:00PM/9:00 PM US Eastern Time.
Honestly, they should have just said she was coming in July and then surprise everyone by releasing her a bit earlier in very late June, like what they did with Banjo.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I don't think we're waiting until August. Nintendo even acknowledged itself that their holiday line up is on schedule and, as pinshadow pinshadow has pointed out multiple times, a two and half month notice for major holiday releases is basically marketing suicide. Case in point: the Polish Amiibo leak. This leak happened on May 9th, leaking details for an Amiibo wave scheduled September 18, more than 4 months later. That's because retail **** requires a lot of ducks being lined up months in advance: price, shelf space, copies by store, promotion and marketing leading up to release, filming commercials and web ads, etc and, don't forget, Nintendo has to line up these plans GLOBALLY. This said, Nintendo has at most 3 weeks left to announce their holiday plans or they're in a tilt o whirl of monkey **** and super far behind.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Since Min Min broke that annoying Spirit rule, I really can't think of any other reason why Geno can't get included. Like seriously:

>Spirits rule
Min Min proves that Spirit upgrades are possible, meaning Geno's biggest barrier is now not even a barrier at all.

>Nintendo doesn't care about what the fans want.
:ultridley::ultkrool::ultbanjokazooie: would love to have a word with you.

>Geno is too obscure to be included.
Same with Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B., Duck Hunt and Ice Climbers.

>Square is stingy and wouldn't double dip.
Square isn't really as stingy as people make them out to be. The only reason why Final Fantasy And Dragon Quest are represented poorly is moreso legal issues with both of those franchises. Square has a pretty solid relationship with Nintendo and has made quite a few crossovers with them in the past.

>Square doesn't care about Geno.
Despite the fact that they have let Nintendo use Geno as a cameo in Mario & Luigi and a Mii Outfit in Sm4sh as well as a Spirit in Ultimate. If Square allows Nintendo to use him then, then why would Square turn down Geno now?

I'm not saying Geno is 100% in, but I feel like all of the major arguments that could have been used against Geno are slowly dying. Combined with the fact that we have all the signs pointing to Geno makes me think that we will most likely come out of the DLC being very satisfied. I just can't wait until he is revealed just so the detractors can finally shut up.

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
I don't think we're waiting until August. Nintendo even acknowledged itself that their holiday line up is on schedule and, as pinshadow pinshadow has pointed out multiple times, a two and half month notice for major holiday releases is basically marketing suicide. Case in point: the Polish Amiibo leak. This leak happened on May 9th, leaking details for an Amiibo wave scheduled September 18, more than 4 months later. That's because retail **** requires a lot of ducks being lined up months in advance: price, shelf space, copies by store, promotion and marketing leading up to release, filming commercials and web ads, etc and, don't forget, Nintendo has to line up these plans GLOBALLY. This said, Nintendo has at most 3 weeks left to announce their holiday plans or they're in a tilt o whirl of monkey **** and super far behind.
Literally the last game with date is Paper Laroo: The Origami King, which will be released of July 17th, are you saying that the only 1st Party game with date will be lauched in 3 weeks? Is one of the reasons i like to believe in that NSFW account which leaked the dates of the trailer of PM and the date of the Sakurai Presents Min Min, so in that way we can get 2 reveals: One on the 7th (Most likely CP7 and CP8) and in the 14th (Either Pikmin3, 2D metroid, 3D world or Mario collection)

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
But why would Nintendo break them into two separate reveals though? Pokémon made sense because Tencent is a needy b-head, but Smash reveals almost never get their own videos unless they're unveiling characters they've already announced (Byleth being the lone exception).

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
View attachment 276643

me, when someone tries to passive aggressively dunk on people in the Geno thread having Geno in their list of realistic Wave 2 characters with no actual rationale as to why he’s unrealistic or why the random characters they listed are comparably more realistic after I had some tasty beans and they didn’t mention anything about thos beans either

11A220A8-09E6-45F8-83ED-CEF7504B6F67.jpeg

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Since Min Min broke that annoying Spirit rule, I really can't think of any other reason why Geno can't get included. Like seriously:

>Spirits rule
Min Min proves that Spirit upgrades are possible, meaning Geno's biggest barrier is now not even a barrier at all.

>Nintendo doesn't care about what the fans want.
:ultridley::ultkrool::ultbanjokazooie: would love to have a word with you.

>Geno is too obscure to be included.
Same with Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B., Duck Hunt and Ice Climbers.

>Square is stingy and wouldn't double dip.
Square isn't really as stingy as people make them out to be. The only reason why Final Fantasy And Dragon Quest are represented poorly is moreso legal issues with both of those franchises. Square has a pretty solid relationship with Nintendo and has made quite a few crossovers with them in the past.

>Square doesn't care about Geno.
Despite the fact that they have let Nintendo use Geno as a cameo in Mario & Luigi and a Mii Outfit in Sm4sh as well as a Spirit in Ultimate. If Square allows Nintendo to use him then, then why would Square turn down Geno now?

I'm not saying Geno is 100% in, but I feel like all of the major arguments that could have been used against Geno are slowly dying. Combined with the fact that we have all the signs pointing to Geno makes me think that we will most likely come out of the DLC being very satisfied. I just can't wait until he is revealed just so the detractors can finally shut up.
The only real argument that detractors bring up left is that he was only in one game and that isn't a strong point against Geno's chances at all since Ness, Ice Climbers, Lucas, and Duck Hunt all only appeared in one game as well outside of Smash.

Last edited:

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
The only real argument that detractors bring up left is that he was only in one game and that isn't a strong point against Geno's chances at all since Ness, Ice Climbers, and Duck Hunt all only appeared in one game as well outside of Smash.
Well, that's not exactly a fair comparison, as those three characters are all Nintendo-owned properties. I'm not saying it's a good reason to deny Geno either, but his bar for entry is going to be a little higher than Ness's, for example, despite them appearing in the same amount of games.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
A Summary of Detractions against Geno:

He was turned down for past games: :ultchrom::ultdaisy::ultdarksamus::ultridley:

He's not important: :ultpiranha:

He's a spirit: :ultminmin

He's too obscure/niche: :ultduckhunt::ulticeclimbers::ultrob::ultgnw::ultrichter::ult_terry::ultwiifittrainer::ultshulk::ultminmin

They would never add three reps from the same third party company: :ultjoker::ultbayonetta::ultsonic:, :ultmegaman::ultryu::ultken:, :ultsnake::ultsimon::ultrichter:

He's not the lead of his game: :ultminmin

He uses guns: :ultbayonetta::ultjoker:

It's been too long since he's had a major appearance: :ultkrool::ultbanjokazooie::ultness::ultlucas:

His Smash demand is only a "meme" and nobody "really cares": :ultbanjokazooie::ultcloud::ultpit::ultridley:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The only real argument that detractors bring up left is that he was only in one game and that isn't a strong point against Geno's chances at all since Ness, Ice Climbers, Lucas, and Duck Hunt all only appeared in one game as well outside of Smash.
And it's also worth noting all of them are unique additions, just like Geno would be. Geno is someone Sakurai really really wants too.

To clarify; Ness was a last second addition based upon Mario. Ice Climbers were a special retro option. Lucas almost didn't make it into Brawl either, but Sakurai kept him because Ness could appeal to the West while Lucas appears to the East(and Lucas was the first to get cut despite Ness being one he was thinking of cutting originally), and Duck Hunt is a surprise character.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Well, that's not exactly a fair comparison, as those three characters are all Nintendo-owned properties. I'm not saying it's a good reason to deny Geno either, but his bar for entry is going to be a little higher than Ness's, for example, despite them appearing in the same amount of games.
He might be owned by Square, but he is a freaking Mario character for pete sake. His massive popularity alone will make Square-Enix consider letting Sakurai put him in Smash as popularity as big as his equals money and they would be blind to pass this up since Geno would be cheap to license and sell for as DLC for them compared to their other properties who they don't have all the rights to.

Last edited:

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Hahah, looking at Fatman's list of the common detractions, I filled a missing slot:

He's not the lead of his game: :ultminmin:ultpiranha:

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
This reminds me of the tale of the Sega Saturn. For the youngins in the audience, gather round, this is a good one.

The year was 1995, and at E3, the very first E3 in fact, Sega of America announced that they were releasing the Sega Saturn in America TODAY, instead of the September launch they had previously announced. This was a huge surprise to everyone, including retailers who were suddenly getting shipments of products they literally had no shelf space allocated for. So, in many cases, the retailers responded with a big **** you and some even stopped selling Sega products entirely, resulting in the Saturn bombing so hard in America that Bomberman and King Bob-Omb would say “wow that’s a hard bomb”.

The moral of this story is Sega really does what Nintendon’t, and one of those things Nintendoesn’t do is suck at advertising (At least not these days)

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
He might be owned by Square, but he is a freaking Mario character for pete sake. His massive popularity alone will make Square-Enix consider letting Sakurai put him in Smash as popularity as big as his equals money and they would be blind to pass this up since Geno would be cheap to license and sell for as DLC for them compared to their other properties who they don't have all the rights to.
Never once said anything to the contrary there. I was just saying that the bar for Geno's entry is a lot higher than Ness's or Duck Hunt's or Ice Climber's because Nintendo owns those characters. Square Enix has been very stubborn, which is most likely *why* we never saw Geno back in Brawl despite Sakurai wanting him in the game. The alternative could be that Nintendo doesn't want to front the money for such an obscure character.

So pretending that their situations are identical is very silly.

That said, Geno's going to be revealed soon. This I believe.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Never once said anything to the contrary there. I was just saying that the bar for Geno's entry is a lot higher than Ness's or Duck Hunt's or Ice Climber's because Nintendo owns those characters. Square Enix has been very stubborn, which is most likely *why* we never saw Geno back in Brawl despite Sakurai wanting him in the game. The alternative could be that Nintendo doesn't want to front the money for such an obscure character.

So pretending that their situations are identical is very silly.

That said, Geno's going to be revealed soon. This I believe.
I believe Sakurai putting Cloud in Smash 4 and Hero in Ultimate was him pulling strings to get Geno in. If he doesn't make it in at this point I believe he never will.

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
A Summary of Detractions against Geno:

He was turned down for past games: :ultchrom::ultdaisy::ultdarksamus::ultridley:

He's not important: :ultpiranha:

He's a spirit: :ultminmin

He's too obscure/niche: :ultduckhunt::ulticeclimbers::ultrob::ultgnw::ultrichter::ult_terry::ultwiifittrainer::ultshulk::ultminmin

They would never add three reps from the same third party company: :ultjoker::ultbayonetta::ultsonic:, :ultmegaman::ultryu::ultken:, :ultsnake::ultsimon::ultrichter:

He's not the lead of his game: :ultminmin

He uses guns: :ultbayonetta::ultjoker:

It's been too long since he's had a major appearance: :ultkrool::ultbanjokazooie::ultness::ultlucas:

His Smash demand is only a "meme" and nobody "really cares": :ultbanjokazooie::ultcloud::ultpit::ultridley:

The thing is though that a lot of those detractions are valid. Most detractions aren't meant to be taken as a full on deconfirm (despite what certain people on Gamefaqs say), but rather that they do not really help the character at all, and in fact harm them. For example, Nintendo definitely prioritize active characters/series so being active definitely does help, but that's not to say that inactive characters can't get in; they got in despite their inactivity. Besides I feel like your list is definitely fuzzy in certain categories.

Why are :ultduckhunt::ult_terry::ultwiifittrainer::ultrichter: in the too obscure/niche category? Duck Hunt and Wii Fit are definitely "weird" picks, but they aren't really obscure or niche, they're both still pretty iconic (or at least their games are). Terry and Richter I sort of get, but only if you go in with a really Western perspective; even then Richter got in due to his Japanese popularity but he's still just an echo of Simon, and Terry while not being a huge character is still definitely iconic and definitely not obscure worldwide. If you put Terry and Richter there, at that point you may as well put Ridley too because he definitely isn't well known worldwide.

Why are :ultpit::ultcloud: in the Smash demand "meme" cateogry? I kind of get Pit, because he was a surprisingly big character in the Melee days but even then it was never on the levels of Ridley or Banjo, enough to be considered a "meme". Cloud was definitely not a huge meme by the time he ended up getting in, that's what made him so special, he was a huge character but he wasn't really super expected or hyped up by the community beforehand at least in Smash 4.

:ultness::ultlucas: shouldn't really be in the "too long since reappearance" category, especially if you're striking down Geno detraction. They both originally got in while their series was decently relevant, Mother 3 N64 was still in development around the time that the original Smash came out but it hadn't released yet so Ness was the "latest" protagonist. And by the time Smash Brawl released, Mother 3 GBA wasn't released too long ago which made Lucas decently relevant. They've returned because bringing back veterans is probably easier than making entirely new characters. Geno wouldn't really be in the same category.

Also I think the main point that detractors bring up (at least in the newcomer thread) is that not only does Geno fit those categories, he fits all of them in a certain way. Which is a different than just fitting 1-2 categories and nothing else. Despite this, a ton of people there still view him as a possibility; but they say that he really isn't all that likely either. So he's "possible" but not "likely", which is where this thread and the newcomer thread deviate.

I believe Sakurai putting Cloud in Smash 4 and Hero in Ultimate was him pulling strings to get Geno in. If he doesn't make it in at this point I believe he never will.
There was nothing forcing Sakurai to add in Cloud and Hero before Geno. In fact, it's more likely that Sakurai just cares about representing those franchises more than putting Geno in Smash. I don't think he went in with the mindset that "I'm going to put in Cloud and Hero into Smash, just so that I can put in Geno into Smash". I mean Sakurai clearly cared a ton about Hero making it in, just judging by his own tweet during his reveal. Not to mention that ultimately it is Nintendo making the picks now, so Sakurai can't really pull the strings on any character getting in.

That's not to say that Geno's path isn't "clearer" with two of Square's megaton franchises out of the way, but at the same time that doesn't only benefit Geno but also other Square characters as well.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Pretty much every conceivable fan rule that "deconfirmed" Geno's chances are gone, and there is nothing really holding him back this time, and with both FF and DQ reps, his competition is very limited/none have received the same kind of fan demand Geno has

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom