• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I don't know how much significance this holds, but the decision to use that as a background almost feels deliberate.
It's worth noting that the same swirl is also used for the character select screen.

MattX20

Smash Hero
So, let's assume Fatman's arguement about a July presentation/direct is right, what week/day would you expect it to drop?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
So, let's assume Fatman's arguement about a July presentation/direct is right, what week/day would you expect it to drop?
My first instinct would be towards the end of July, probably announced on a Tuesday and shown on a Thursday. If I had to randomly pick a day, I'd say the 23rd?

Then again, the promotion for Paper Mario: The Origami King has been fairly low-key (it was announced on Twitter, and the only updates that we've gotten on the game have been through Twitter since there hasn't been a Direct to show it off in), so maybe we could get a Direct shortly before it comes out to give it some broader attention? (and show off the combat system, which has been left fairly vague based on what I've seen) Maybe the 8th or the 15th?

I just find it weird that they're being so coy with how partners work and how you improve Mario's stats, among other things, but then again, maybe they just want to rush the game out there because they don't have much confidence in its overall quality?

Last edited:

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
I knew that, I was pointing out that the swirl in the Smash announcement is the same kind that Spring Man, Max Brass and Springtron has.
Yeah our man RedMachine123 RedMachine123 brought up both aspects, that the background is used for those three AND it is also used for the select screen. So it may or may not reveal anything.

My ideal character would be SpringMan only because he would shatter all three fan rules regarding promotions. Secondary choice would obviously be any of the other spirits fighters.

Personally, Nintendo needs to make Smash speculation "relevant" in the sense of the excitement of speculation ... the best way to do it is to have the ARMS rep be a promotion. That'll keep the speculation/discussion strong for the rest of the pass compared to something like Kid Cobra or something. No nearly as exciting as a promotion/upgrade. I hope they will do that.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
The second week, I believe, and Tuesday or Wednesday would be when it gets announced in my opinion.

protoblues

Smash Cadet
BIG SPECULATION TIME. I'm not claiming to be an insider, but I have a lot of confidence in my predictions next week. Let's just say a "little bird" told me about it. Let's also say I can talk to birds and they have a lot to say about video games.

Here are my guesses for next week. Right after the ARMS trailer, when the screen fades to black... the livestream ends.

BUT THEN, on Thursday, Nintendo
does nothing, and nothing of note occurs.

Next week's major headline?
The Apple World-Wide Developer Conference.

Yes, I understand this is a bold prediction. The bold button is right beside the italics button and it increases the font weight.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I think people keep underrating the significance of the investors meeting. Yoinked this from online:

"Investors play a major and vital role in the success and growth of a company. Because of that fact, it's of the utmost importance for companies to maintain strong, transparent relationships with investors. This is where the investor relations department of a company comes into play."

Investors are the people who own stock in the company so keeping them enthusiastic, optimistic, and literally invested in the company is extremely important.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Well I'm glad we're getting news soon. I know it won't sell the pass for me but a lot still rides on this presentation. Really hoping we get a specific reference to AT/spirit promotions if ends up being a promotion character(s). I do think the ARMS character will be a really fun addition to Smash and I look forward to seeing how they play and what all this mystery was about.

Droodle

Smash Lord
I think people keep underrating the significance of the investors meeting. Yoinked this from online:

"Investors play a major and vital role in the success and growth of a company. Because of that fact, it's of the utmost importance for companies to maintain strong, transparent relationships with investors. This is where the investor relations department of a company comes into play."

Investors are the people who own stock in the company so keeping them enthusiastic, optimistic, and literally invested in the company is extremely important.
As far as I can tell they didn't announce anything for the January Investor's meeting. In the May meeting I think they said Corona is hard to work around and that there may not be a traditional E3 direct, they announced nothing apart from that (Origami King was announced 10 days later), the only things they had was Clubhouse and Xenoblade upcoming. Most of the time these investor's meetings are just sales results, and general plans for the foreseeable future.

I think at most they'd just talk about sales, and potentially what their plans are over summer. But we shouldn't expect a ton of announcements right before the investor's meeting, because so far they have not done that this year.

EDIT: Also I'm pretty sure telling investors that Animal Crossing and Switch are breaking records is enough to keep them satisfied.

Last edited:

RedMachine123

Smash Apprentice
I know I have already quoted you in a different thread, but I think some clarification is needed regarding the background differences.
I was about to talk about that, so yes, there's an important difference between Spring Man/Max Brass/Springtron background and the character selection screen background.

20200619_201633.jpg

In the Spring Man background the spirals starts to fade away in the middle of the image.

2017060614011000_5175A9E8354E328724729A6641D0F22F.jpg

However, in the character selection screen background the spirals starts to fade away in the upper left corner of the image. Now let's take a look at the background of the Smash announcement:

Ea4RNz0U4AI8u8D.jpg

Yes, sadly, the spirals starts to fade away in the upper left corner too. Nintendo used the character selection screen background for the Smash announcement, so theory deconfirmed. But I warned it from the beginning, this probably didn't mean nothing but it was fun while it lasted.

EDIT: I made an edited version of the image used in the Smash announcement to have a better view of the spirals.

20200619_175919.jpg

Last edited:

TriggerX

Smash Ace

I do agree with the fact that investors play a big role in some of the decisions Nintendo makes, but it doesn’t necessarily correlate to what fans what. Sure investors could be fans of Nintendo, but most prominent ones attending the meeting could just be banks.

Essentially what investors want to see is a return on their investment in general.

In the end it’s about making decisions that will increase revenue for the company, not about what the fans want. All we can do is hope that the fan base’s requests share common ground with what’s most profitable.

Honestly if investors shared the same mindset as most of Nintendo’s fans, they would already have a decent online infrastructure in place.

Paraspikey

Smash Journeyman
Just a little something I learned about, thought you guys might be interested.

Look at the highlights in this image's background
View attachment 275335

And for comparison: The swirls in the background for every other ARMS character in the character select. It only matches Spring Man, Springtron (the robot clone) and Max Brass (the first to own the title Spring Man).

View attachment 275338

I don't know how much significance this holds, but the decision to use that as a background almost feels deliberate.

Its the ad background.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I was about to talk about that, so yes, there's an important difference between Spring Man/Max Brass/Springtron background and the character selection screen background.

View attachment 275340

In the Spring Man background the spirals starts to fade away in the middle of the image.

View attachment 275342

However, in the character selection screen background the spirals starts to fade away in the upper left corner of the imagen. Now let's take a look at the background of the Smash announcement:

View attachment 275343

Yes, sadly, the spirals starts to fade away in the upper left corner too. Nintendo used the character selection screen background for the Smash announcement, so theory deconfirmed. But I warned it from the beginning, this probably didn't mean nothing but it was fun while it lasted.

EDIT: I made an edited version of the image used in thr Smash announcement to have a better view of the spirals.

View attachment 275345
I mean, I'm all for ridiculous analyzing of livestream promotional material, especially after what happened last time we did that.
You guys want to know the worst part about this? THE GODDAMN ARTIFACT THEORY WAS RIGHT.

IT LINES UP PERFECTLY WITH THE GREEN POSTER ON THE LEFT

GOD DAMN IT.
View attachment 258019

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

View attachment 275340

View attachment 275342

However, in the character selection screen background the spirals starts to fade away in the upper left corner of the image. Now let's take a look at the background of the Smash announcement:

View attachment 275343

EDIT: I made an edited version of the image used in the Smash announcement to have a better view of the spirals.

View attachment 275345
I used Picture Manager fiddling with the brightness and contrast and I did get something similar to the last picture.

On a slightly different topic, I wouldn't be surprised if Spring Man was the fighter considering he is the most prominent ARMS character both outside (in terms of marketing) and even within Smash Ultimate, to the point that he is an AT, a mii costume and a spirit (something other ARMS character can't claim). He is so much of a poster boy that in the montage revealing all the ARMS character, his screen and Ribbon Girl's are in fact the biggest out of all the ARMS character shown off.

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I know some of you are disappointed we aren't getting the reveal of CP7 on Monday, but think of it this way. I think the fact that CP7 isn't getting revealed Monday may give credibility to the fact that CP7 will be third-party. Nintendo usually tends to reveal third-party characters at "special events" and it wouldn't feel right to reveal a third-party character in a presentation all about an ARMS fighter, which could be why they are holding back on a reveal. If CP7 was first-party, then I'm sure Nintendo would have no issue revealing CP7 at this upcoming presentation. I think this could be another thing in favor of CP7 being third-party.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I know some of you are disappointed we aren't getting the reveal of CP7 on Monday, but think of it this way. I think the fact that CP7 isn't getting revealed Monday may give credibility to the fact that CP7 will be third-party. Nintendo usually tends to reveal third-party characters at "special events" and it wouldn't feel right to reveal a third-party character in a presentation all about an ARMS fighter, which could be why they are holding back on a reveal. If CP7 was first-party, then I'm sure Nintendo would have no issue revealing CP7 at this upcoming presentation. I think this could be another thing in favor of CP7 being third-party.
Well, to be honest, a new character wasn't revealed in the presentations of :ulthero::ultbanjokazooie::ult_terry::ultbyleth: so this is par for the course.

link2702

Smash Champion
not surprised. We all were hoping for more, but Nintendo is gonna give us just the bare minimum.

But hey, The good news is, the character who is revealed might finally settle once and for all the "spirits/AT's deconfirm" argument.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
not surprised. We all were hoping for more, but Nintendo is gonna give us just the bare minimum.

But hey, The good news is, the character who is revealed might finally settle once and for all the "spirits/AT's deconfirm" argument.
Having just the showcased character for these presentations have usually been the case, so I don't think its really a "bare minimum". Just standard.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I do agree with the fact that investors play a big role in some of the decisions Nintendo makes, but it doesn’t necessarily correlate to what fans what. Sure investors could be fans of Nintendo, but most prominent ones attending the meeting could just be banks.

Essentially what investors want to see is a return on their investment in general.

In the end it’s about making decisions that will increase revenue for the company, not about what the fans want. All we can do is hope that the fan base’s requests share common ground with what’s most profitable.

Honestly if investors shared the same mindset as most of Nintendo’s fans, they would already have a decent online infrastructure in place.
Actually, a lot of concerns are shared. Here's a transcript from the 2018 Investors Q&A:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nintendo/c..._source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=post_body

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Another thing is the flatulent and incontinent elephant in the room that almost every major game company has already announced something major this year... Except Nintendo. Especially with Sony and Microsoft having new consoles waiting in the wings, it's kind of in your face especially with Nintendo's only notable announcements being Paper Mario and ARMS in Smash and to say those have been mixed bags is a big understatement. Yeah, Nintendo can continue to show boat Animal Crossing 's sales but... That was three months ago and 2020 for Nintendo is absolutely barren right now.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Another thing is the flatulent and incontinent elephant in the room is that almost every major game company has already announced something major this year... Except Nintendo. Especially with Sony and Microsoft having new consoles waiting in the wings, it's kind of in your face especially with Nintendo's only notable announcements being Paper Mario and ARMS in Smash and to say those have been mixed bags is a big understatement. Yeah, Nintendo can continue to show boat Animal Crossing 's sales but... That was three months ago and 2020 for Nintendo is absolutely barren right now.
I have been thinking, what if Nintendo waiting for Sony and Microsoft to get through their big console announcements? Revealing stuff in-between the announcements of the next generation of hardware could be seen as slightly risky.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Another big thing I want to bring up is why Nintendo usually doesn't do huge presentations in July or August, especially in the middle of the month:

https://www.jrailpass.com/blog/obon-festival-in-japan

Obon is an enormous deal in Japanese culture. It's like if you combined the American Thanksgiving with the 4th of July: lots festivals, lots of traveling, tons of people taking vacation time, culturally one of the most important times of the year, etc. Usually they give both times a wide berth for major announcements because it's supposed to be a solemn holiday too. For example, this is probably why Hero was released at the absolute end of July last year and why, two years ago, the Smash Direct was super early in August.

Sure, they could do a presentation in early July but that's still cutting it close. Even outside of Obon, July and August are huge vacation months around the world and let's just say a lot of people are kind of distracted anyways. Has Nintendo released things near Obon? Yes. Has Nintendo ever made major announcements near Obon? Not that I can think of.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Another big thing I want to bring up is why Nintendo usually doesn't do huge presentations in July or August, especially in the middle of the month:

Obon is an enormous deal in Japanese culture. It's like if you combined the American Thanksgiving with the 4th of July: lots festivals, lots of traveling, tons of people taking vacation time, culturally one of the most important times of the year, etc. Usually they give both times a wide berth for major announcements because it's supposed to be a solemn holiday too. For example, this is probably Hero was released at the absolute end of July last year and why, two years ago, the Smash Direct was super early in August.

Sure, they could do a presentation in early July but that's still cutting it close. Even outside of Oban, July and August are huge vacation months around the world and let's just say a lot of people are kind of distracted anyways. Has Nintendo released things near Oban? Yes. Has Nintendo ever made major announcements near Oban? Not that I can think of.
September it is then for potentially FP7.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Another thing is the flatulent and incontinent elephant in the room that almost every major game company has already announced something major this year... Except Nintendo. Especially with Sony and Microsoft having new consoles waiting in the wings, it's kind of in your face especially with Nintendo's only notable announcements being Paper Mario and ARMS in Smash and to say those have been mixed bags is a big understatement. Yeah, Nintendo can continue to show boat Animal Crossing 's sales but... That was three months ago and 2020 for Nintendo is absolutely barren right now.
They've ridden Animal Corssing this long already so... in for a penny in for a pound.

I just don't see some magical big announcement that's going to miraculously save Nintendo swooping in at the absolute last second, when it wouldn't really benefit them in the immediate financial sense

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
We will have to wait until september to get CP7 revealed, hopefully we may also get CP8 identity.

Meanwhile, enjoy ARMS presentation this monday and cross your fingers to see some Mii Costumes from “mii costume guy leaked list”.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
They've ridden Animal Corssing this long already so... in for a penny in for a pound.

I just don't see some magical big announcement that's going to miraculously save Nintendo swooping in at the absolute last second, when it wouldn't really benefit them in the immediate financial sense
I also don't see them not announcing anything else when their only upcoming game for this year is out in less than a month. It was reasonable to expect a direct in February-March but now here we are 3 months later at the end of June with almost nothing on the horizon STILL. We've basically reached the point where if something is out in August-September they have to announce it VERY SOON. Do you see them waiting another 2-3 months until September to announce their Holiday line-up?

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero

Obon is an enormous deal in Japanese culture. It's like if you combined the American Thanksgiving with the 4th of July: lots festivals, lots of traveling, tons of people taking vacation time, culturally one of the most important times of the year, etc. Usually they give both times a wide berth for major announcements because it's supposed to be a solemn holiday too. For example, this is probably why Hero was released at the absolute end of July last year and why, two years ago, the Smash Direct was super early in August.

Sure, they could do a presentation in early July but that's still cutting it close. Even outside of Obon, July and August are huge vacation months around the world and let's just say a lot of people are kind of distracted anyways. Has Nintendo released things near Obon? Yes. Has Nintendo ever made major announcements near Obon? Not that I can think of.
I'm inclined to agree that it's hard to believe Nintendo wouldn't try to have some big news for their investors by the end of next week. Not just for Smash DLC, but for the rest of the year's games they have planned

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Basically the situation is either Nintendo reveals something soon or it's deadass waiting until September. Part of probably why Nintendo doesn't do major presentations in July too is because, like I said, many Japanese people take their vacation time in July and August and prepping a presentation is a ton of ****in' work. Like I've talked about in the past, my NoA ambassador friend has told me that they start prepping those ****ers like a month and a half to two months out. That's a lot of work and, as a grownass man, I'm painfully aware that long-term projects can utterly drain you and nobody wants to be borderline dead before they go on vacation or, worse, having to start/finish one shortly after coming back.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I swear this upcoming week is looking to be one of the best weeks ever for me. We got the ARMS DLC Fighter reveal, and even possibly the release next week, Crash 4, a game I've wanted for god knows how long, is looking likely to get revealed next week, and SpongeBob: Battle For Bikini Bottom - Rehydrated, which I've been waiting for for an entire year now, is also releasing next week. Words cannot describe the hype I'm feeling now and I can't wait for the week to start!

D

Deleted member

I’m happy we’re finally getting the ARMS character. I’m going with Min Min.

sucks we won’t see 7 yet eventually though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom