• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

QQS

Smash Lord
Totally happen this week yes!

I was thinking that Hero has 4 reps and all share the same moveset (and all are under the same slot “Hero”), and yes Sakurai once stated that he wanted 8 Heroes instead. So we think that ARMS may follow that logic, 4 or 8 reps under #76, BUT, can it happen? Cause how the slot will be named? You don’t have a generic name here like “Arms Person” and then share the reps. So maybe, if they got with many reps, they won’t choose Skins or Alts, they will instead make 4 or more Echo Fighters for each ARMS rep, what do you think?

Anyway I’m not an ARMS fan, but I would love to see Min Min and of course, see how the “Prelude of the Fan Rules” goes. Everyone here are anxious about to see what happen. Hope they make an Assist/Spirit playable in order to bring back many Assists/Spirits to the table, specially Geno which is coming 100%.

Let’s keep waiting a couple of days, it’s impossible they only show us #76. The realistic thing is showing #76 + Available later today; and also a CGI of #77 (Available other month). But I won’t discard a triple reveal also, it can happen anything. It’s been 5 months since Byleth available and the original ARMS delay, so I’m expecting many surprises to heal us.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
a Rathalos fursuit (scalesuit?).
No no, you had it right the first time. Fun(?) fact: The term "scalie" is dying and very underused

Are people seriously giving up on an announcement this week just because it didn't happen on the first day?

View attachment 274909
I don't know if y'all are hyper pessimistic or just being contrarian but give it at least until Wednesday. It's still very likely to happen this week.
Pokemon is Wednesday. I doubt it's coming tomorrow for Thursday and it definitely won't be here Wednesday. Potentially an announcement on Wednesday for Thursday, but I just see the 22nd for the 23rd or sometime next week as more likely at this point. Not being pessimistic, it's just the truth.

At this point though, with nothing to show investors next week, it (the reveals, not an announcement) absolutely will be on either the 18th (this Thursday), or sometime next week (Tuesday the 23rd - Thursday the 25th).

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
You know, I'm a patient guy but the waiting game for Nintendo news aside from Pokemon and Animal Crossing has gotten real tiresome and boring. This whole year has seemed like a slow **** show so far.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
You know, I'm a patient guy but the waiting game for Nintendo news aside from Pokemon and Animal Crossing has gotten real tiresome and boring. This whole year has seemed like a slow **** show so far.
Yeah, if you don't like AC that barely gets updated, Pokemon which gets a whatever update for its crappy ass, the modern Paper Mario formula, or wanted an XC1 remaster, you're basically SoL so far this year.

I mean Clubhouse Games is neat and all but it's not gonna carry that much. Even Smash reveals are good but people want to see some GAMES.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Yeah, if you don't like AC that barely gets updated, Pokemon which gets a whatever update for its crappy ass, the modern Paper Mario formula, or wanted an XC1 remaster, you're basically SoL so far this year.

I mean Clubhouse Games is neat and all but it's not gonna carry that much. Even Smash reveals are good but people want to see some GAMES.
I mean, I'm excited for the new Paper Mario game since it looks like they're trying to bring the RPG battle mechanics back. But nothing else has really made me excited or hyped this year.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Super Mario RPG - Legend of the Seven Stars (USA)-200609-153004.png

• MFW Another week of waiting
Seriously though, the latest they've ever announced Smash stuff I believe is Tuesday at 6:00 PM PST, when both Hero's and Terry's showcases got announced for Thursday. After tommorrow we can start being annoyed.

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
View attachment 274918
  • MFW Another week of waiting
Seriously though, the latest they've ever announced Smash stuff I believe is Tuesday at 6:00 PM PST, when both Hero's and Terry's showcases got announced for Thursday. After tommorrow we can start being annoyed.
People saying that may overshadow Pokemon the following day though. I say who gives a crap since I doubt anyone who would be/not be buying the DLC still will/won't, but apparently "that's not how Nintendo thinks".

(also who gives a crap because **** SwSh)

Last edited:

TTF

Smash Journeyman
Are people seriously giving up on an announcement this week just because it didn't happen on the first day?

View attachment 274909
I don't know if y'all are hyper pessimistic or just being contrarian but give it at least until Wednesday. It's still very likely to happen this week.
I'm patient for it. I think for others, that we're halfway through June now and Nintendo social media have been quiet about it without much as a "The announcement is coming soon" post, combined with this pandemic putting other stuff on hold & people quarantined, I can understand why others are on edge and feeling like every minute is an hour and so on.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
People saying that may overshadow Pokemon the following day though. I say who gives a crap since I doubt anyone who would be/not be buying the DLC still will/won't, but apparently "that's not how Nintendo thinks".

(also who gives a crap because **** SwSh)
Pokemon already HAD it's news dump two weeks ago though? They seem intent on keeping stuff underwraps like they did with the base game. Look, the ARMS rep is 99% coming out next week, so unless they are doing a shadowdrop, which they seemed to want to avoid doing with Byleth, they have to reveal it this week.

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Look, the ARMS rep is 99% coming out next week
Sorry where's this news coming from now?

they have to reveal it this week.
I don't remember any rule where Nintendo can't be a butt and reveal + release something in an even shorter period than Byleth. TBH I'm almost seeing a reveal on the 23rd and a release on the 30th, which is *SCUM AS HELL* but it's still June.

All I know is we very likely won't be seeing it on Wednesday. Thursday the 18th at the absolute earliest.

Edit: The reason why I think it won't even be Thursday is because they'd likely have to post an announcement tomorrow, which would screw Pokemon's DLC release (Wednesday). Again though that would be Nintendo's reasoning, similarly to how they showed NOTHING until ACNH released and we all went mental.

Last edited:

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Sorry where's this news coming from now?

I don't remember any rule where Nintendo can't be a butt and reveal + release something in an even shorter period than Byleth. TBH I'm almost seeing a reveal on the 23rd and a release on the 30th, which is *SCUM AS HELL* but it's still June.

All I know is we very likely won't be seeing it on Wednesday. Thursday the 18th at the absolute earliest.
Well, it's not getting released this week because they're still doing their tournament thing every weekend and they aren't going to release a new character+balance changes during it, and I really don't see them waiting until the last two days of the month to release it. I mean, they COULD, but theres no real reason to do that. They might just say screw it an go back to doing shadowdrop releases for no reason.

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
If the ARMs reveal manages to overshadow Pokemon, then Pokemon has bigger issues they need to address quickly.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I mean, they COULD, but theres no real reason to do that.
There's been no reason to delay it past E3 week either, and yet they did. They chose to not show it the first week of June, nor the second week which was E3 week. Now we don't know what's happening.

If the ARMs reveal manages to overshadow Pokemon, then Pokemon has bigger issues they need to address quickly.
*hysterical laughing*
Oh my god my sides XD

*clears throat* Regardless though, they did the same thing with ACNH when the crappy ass mini-direct wouldn't have done *anything* to ACNH's launch, so...

Last edited:

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Gamefreak's motto at this point is pretty much "one step forward, one step back, one step to the side that we completely forget next game". I'm still trying to figure out how Masuda was the director for both Black and White and X and Y, like I know he also directed the main Gen 3 and 4 games as well but Gen 5 does so much right and fixes issues with the earlier games but X and Y seems to either ignore what Black and White did better or take elements that worked in Gen 5 and do them way worse which only lead to more problems down the line. It's mindboggling to me, especially since Gen 7 seems to go in a good direction in some areas but not others, and Gen 8 seems to ignore all the GOOD STUFF Gen 7 did and just make everything mediocre and it's just UUHHHHGGG.

Last edited:

QQS

Smash Lord
But guys look the bright side, I am also crazy cause I wanna see the next presentation, but it’s happening anyway. It’s just a term.

Imagine for example if someone leak us Geno, I mean irrefutable proof, Would you like that? I don’t. I know from the inside (and also for Essay+List and demand/wishes come true) that Geno is coming. But the good thing is that Nintendo manage themselves to keep it a secret and surprise all of us, probably (for us) even better than a Ridley, KKR and Banjo reveal. If they wanna reveal 76 and 77 this or next week, I can keep waiting cause I know it will worth the wait (and the 2 decades wait indeed).

Geno reveal will be epicness as its finest.

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
Don't get me wrong I don't want the reveal, whoever it is, to leak; I just wanna know someone at this point.

Franauts

Smash Cadet
So we think that ARMS may follow that logic, 4 or 8 reps under #76, BUT, can it happen? Cause how the slot will be named? You don’t have a generic name here like “Arms Person” and then share the reps.
That's not a problem, the koopalings share the same slot being represented by Bowser Jr. as the main fighter. The same happens with Alph, the main slot is Olimar but when you choose another skin the name of the character you choose simply changes to "Alph".

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
That's not a problem, the koopalings share the same slot being represented by Bowser Jr. as the main fighter. The same happens with Alph, the main slot is Olimar but when you choose another skin the name of the character you choose simply changes to "Alph".
At the very least, I do get what people mean by how these make more sense;

Pikmin & Captain is effectively the moveset(the international versions removed the Pikmin part, misrepresenting the character overall). And the Captains are interchangeable.

Hero are all blank slates.

Bowser Jr.'s moveset is the Koopa Clown Car, not the literal character.

Not that it can't be done either. But there would be some personality lost. It's worth noting the Koopalings do lose some of their personality with their movements. Alph and Olimar also have no personality at all in return for the way they're designed. Though for the latter, again, the Pikmin are the real stars at that point. For alts to work(Springtron aside), they need to still have their own voices and personality with some unique animations that are still fairly similar but having the same hurtboxes and hitboxes. It's possible, but I'm more leaning towards "not likely" now. I don't think Echoes are happening either, mind you. That's why I'd expect one core character focused on the ARMS, with at most a few moves from some characters that easily work well. As long as they're generic enough moves that aren't ridiculous to see on someone else. In the way how PK Thunder is workable for anyone due to how generic the move is.

Franauts

Smash Cadet
As long as they're generic enough moves that aren't ridiculous to see on someone else. In the way how PK Thunder is workable for anyone due to how generic the move is.
a generic moveset could be workable;

UP B - Tether Recovery
SIDE B - That huge distance green colored grab (I don't know what it's called, when you hit with both joycon at the same time, it could be a command grab)
Neutral B - Extendible arms, press and hold to charge power (burn, freeze, stun, etc.) or press fast to hit with long range.
Down B - Choose some fists with different properties, in Arms each character has its characteristic fists, but as far as I understand you can unlock them all so that any character has access to them.

It's the most generic moveset I can think of.

I read days ago here on Smashboards (I think) that Hedlok could stick to the head of the fighter for his Final Smash, that would be cool if they opted for a cinematic FS (or the others could come to help, as happens with Mega Man).

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
a generic moveset could be workable;

UP B - Tether Recovery
SIDE B - That huge distance green colored grab (I don't know what it's called, when you hit with both joycon at the same time, it could be a command grab)
Neutral B - Extendible arms, press and hold to charge power (burn, freeze, stun, etc.) or press fast to hit with long range.
Down B - Choose some fists with different properties, in Arms each character has its characteristic fists, but as far as I understand you can unlock them all so that any character has access to them.

It's the most generic moveset I can think of.

I read days ago here on Smashboards (I think) that Hedlok could stick to the head of the fighter for his Final Smash, that would be cool if they opted for a cinematic FS (or the others could come to help, as happens with Mega Man).
I mean that some characters have unique moves that can be transferred decently(Min Min's kicks) where others can't(Ninjara's teleporting).

Though that sounds pretty good. I have a feeling they might not have a Side B grab, as they'd already have a long grab range(with it being somewhat slow like the Hookshot is).

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
In my ARMS Fighter moveset concept, I made it into a visual flair specific to Ninjara. Basically, it happens any time he dodges, akin to Mewtwo's dodges.
I had thought of that too. Though to clarify, I mean as actual attack moves. Cause that would only work for dodges, but it makes little sense if it isn't Ninjara doing it. That doesn't feel as truly interchangeable.

Your Mileage May Vary, though.

Apologies for being too vague. >.<;

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Just a reminder that every NeutB requires it to work with Kirby. If he doesn't suddenly grow ARMS, something like this wouldn't work. What's interesting though is that there is one character that has ARMS as part of her head...

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Just a reminder that every NeutB requires it to work with Kirby. If he doesn't suddenly grow ARMS, something like this wouldn't work. What's interesting though is that there is one character that has ARMS as part of her head...

Considering Kirby can do this:

And this:

I really don't see the issue with giving Kirby a pair of stretchy arms.

EDIT: Images aren't working, but it was Kirby with Corrin's ability (where he grows a dragon arm) and Kirby with Bowser Jr.'s ability (where he grows a cannon out of his mouth

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
Kirby can do so many weird things that him getting stretchy arms isn't an issue.

Play kirby's dreamland 3. Plenty of times kirby get's some weird abilities from his animal buddies that change his own shape quite a bit. And in kirby 64? the same.

I see no problems at all with kirby getting an arms power.

axel_

Smash Journeyman

Up until now I've been sleeping on Twintelle's chances hard since her hair ARMS gimmick would be too outlandish for the first ARMS fighter in the game. But now with hindsight on

- Just how popular she really is (The only character that the ARMS team have actively acknowledged as being absurdly popular)
- The demands for legitimate black characters added to the roster (a kind of feedback that I seriously doubt Nintendo would have ignored)

I think she's got a great chance. Regardless of the current sociopolitical climate I feel like Twintelle would be a smash hit among Smash players, ARMS fans, rule 34 artists and casual audiences. AND she's a Spirit currently so she's a win-win regardless.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Kirby can do so many weird things that him getting stretchy arms isn't an issue.

Play kirby's dreamland 3. Plenty of times kirby get's some weird abilities from his animal buddies that change his own shape quite a bit. And in kirby 64? the same.
Well yeah those are his games, but...

I see no problems at all with kirby getting an arms power.
Sure, but if it's just a support move that buffs your ARMS, that might be very awkward and do nothing for Kirby since he doesn't do A attacks with ARMS. If it buffs *his* A attacks, that wouldn't make sense and could potentially be game-breaking.

All I'm saying is that it needs to make sense for Kirby too.

Up until now I've been sleeping on Twintelle's chances hard since her hair ARMS gimmick would be too outlandish for the first ARMS fighter in the game. But now with hindsight on

- Just how popular she really is (The only character that the ARMS team have actively acknowledged as being absurdly popular)
- The demands for legitimate black characters added to the roster (a kind of feedback that I seriously doubt Nintendo would have ignored)

I think she's got a great chance. Regardless of the current sociopolitical climate I feel like Twintelle would be a smash hit among Smash players, ARMS fans, rule 34 artists and casual audiences. AND she's a Spirit currently so she's a win-win regardless.
Yeah, and even as an alt, I still see *some* chances since her ARMS could just loop down and attack at midsection to shoulder-height (whatever the ARMS characters with ARM arms attack height is). Same hitboxes and everything.

If Ridley being "too big" can suddenly get in Smash, I don't see how hair-ARMS would exclude her.

Franauts

Smash Cadet
When I saw the banjo trailer, I thought that any of the 3 special attacks that were shown (that weren´t the recovery) would be rare in kirby, drop a grenade from the butt, spit eggs, or use the golden wing. It turned out that Kirby can use a Kazooie plush toy. Wearing extendable box gloves doesn't seem like a big problem to me.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
At the very least, I do get what people mean by how these make more sense;

Pikmin & Captain is effectively the moveset(the international versions removed the Pikmin part, misrepresenting the character overall). And the Captains are interchangeable.

Hero are all blank slates.

Bowser Jr.'s moveset is the Koopa Clown Car, not the literal character.

Not that it can't be done either. But there would be some personality lost. It's worth noting the Koopalings do lose some of their personality with their movements. Alph and Olimar also have no personality at all in return for the way they're designed. Though for the latter, again, the Pikmin are the real stars at that point. For alts to work(Springtron aside), they need to still have their own voices and personality with some unique animations that are still fairly similar but having the same hurtboxes and hitboxes. It's possible, but I'm more leaning towards "not likely" now. I don't think Echoes are happening either, mind you. That's why I'd expect one core character focused on the ARMS, with at most a few moves from some characters that easily work well. As long as they're generic enough moves that aren't ridiculous to see on someone else. In the way how PK Thunder is workable for anyone due to how generic the move is.
Honestly if they can make Olimar and Alph seem generic in Smash, they can definitely do the same thing to the ARMS characters as much as I think it’d suck.

I mean, only like two things (at max since one taunt is only possibly a reference to the happy jump Olimar does when fixing his ship - the other thing being Olimar’s eyes bulging out of his head when he gets hit like when he’s shocked by Louie missing in Pikmin 2) are from the games, while everything else is made up and not from their characters/personalities at all. Alph is even in a worse position than Olimar, sharing stuff with him and only blinking when hit. There’s really no excuse for why Alph isn’t an echo at least aside from the devs possibly having no extra time (and the captains being dead last on the priority list, oof) if they even cared about the Pikmin characters in the first place. There’s more than two ways his and Olimar’s mouths and eyes can look...

Heck, iirc (haven’t played Smash in a while), even the Pikmin aren’t as expressive as they could be. Even Mr. Game & Watch genuinely feels like he’s more expressive in Smash. At least Bowser Jr.’s animations easily fit the Koopalings as well aside from the Final Smash, maybe one taunt and maybe one victory animation.

And this:

EDIT: Images aren't working, but it was Kirby with Corrin's ability (where he grows a dragon arm) and Kirby with Bowser Jr.'s ability (where he grows a cannon out of his mouth
Yeah, Kirby could easily launch an ARM out of his mouth if not just suddenly gain the ARMS gene in his nubs.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Honestly if they can make Olimar and Alph seem generic in Smash, they can definitely do the same thing to the ARMS characters as much as I think it’d suck.
That's my point. The focus is on the Pikmin, not the Captains, first and foremost.

Sure, the ARMS will be the obvious focus, but that's not an outright "vehicle" or a different character. It doesn't work the same way.

Would it kill them to give Alph some slightly different animations if they won't split him off? I can shrug on the voices, but... boy does he look weird compared to Olimar, who seems right.

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
When I saw the banjo trailer, I thought that any of the 3 special attacks that were shown (that weren´t the recovery) would be rare in kirby, drop a grenade from the butt, spit eggs, or use the golden wing. It turned out that Kirby can use a Kazooie plush toy. Wearing extendable box gloves doesn't seem like a big problem to me.
Yeah I get that now and I retract what I said regarding that, but the NeutB would still need to be a thing on its own and can't do something like "buff ARMS attacks", unless they want it to buff Kirby's attacks, which again could lead to potential issues. I'm not saying it *can't* happen, just that every NeutB while created needs to have Kirby in mind.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Yeah I get that now and I retract what I said regarding that, but the NeutB would still need to be a thing on its own and can't do something like "buff ARMS attacks", unless they want it to buff Kirby's attacks, which again could lead to potential issues. I'm not saying it *can't* happen, just that every NeutB while created needs to have Kirby in mind.
Except Olimar. When Kirby copies him he does a pluck and immediately throws.

link2702

Smash Champion
Except Olimar. When Kirby copies him he does a pluck and immediately throws.
yeah this. Kirby actually combines 2 of Olimar's specials in order to make it work.

If they need to, they can do this with the arms character.

Regardless, whoever it is, sakurai will find a way to make it work with his "baby."

MisterMike

Smash Champion

And this:

Kirby vomiting out a big ARMS glove is something I desparately need in my life.

Kirby is just equipped with Nintendo's old Ultra Arm as the neutral special

View attachment 274931
OH YEAH, BIG BRAIN TIME.

axel_

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, and even as an alt, I still see *some* chances since her ARMS could just loop down and attack at midsection to shoulder-height (whatever the ARMS characters with ARM arms attack height is). Same hitboxes and everything.
Not sure how you got that idea from my post, especially when I've been adamantly against the Hero v2 argument, but I admire the spirit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom